On the Mend

compose a reply
On the MendJan 14, 2021 0:18:50 GMT -5
Mikatakujira Ruto
The only cost not worth it is my own life.
Mikatakujira Ruto Avatar
groupMissing-Nin
age birthday 1/26 rank occupation
Hotaru was too thankful. Maybe that was a good thing. Graciousness was maybe not something that could be found in excess. Ruto did enjoy it, getting such praise, but it was also strange to him. He offered his help. He did not need excessive thanks for something so simple. It wasn't as though he invented these methods. He was just sharing knowledge that someone else had created and passed onto him. A continuing chain. If he was able to invent something of his own, truly unique, and then chose to share it- that was when he wanted people to thank him. 

It would be impolite to say something like that, though, and all of socialization was playing at social niceties. 

The offer of a lab space was nice, at least. It gave him somewhere to settle and do his research. He had a lot of information to try to regain. He lost so many samples when he had to flee. He would have to build everything from the ground up again. That was fine; his mind held at least some of the prior research. He didn't need some of it anyways. The plague was an interesting excursion, but it was not what he was interested in. He wouldn't repeat it. 

"I appreciate it greatly," Ruto said, with a bow of his head. "Having somewhere to do my research or prepare medicines would be of great assistance. I'm sure I could even render some aid to you while I am there." 
has written 141 posts
On the MendJan 14, 2021 22:56:56 GMT -5
Uchiha Hotaru
Nindo Goes Here: Edit Profile > Personal > Most Recent Status
Uchiha Hotaru Avatar
groupnull
age 24 years old birthday 2/14 rank B-Rank occupation
[googlefont=Roboto]
"That would be helpful, as always,” Hotaru said in return. He turned his head away for a moment and created a break in the conversation. He didn’t know whether or not he should say it, but he decided that there was no reason to continue being so cloak and dagger. "I will help to protect it as well, just as I watch over this village and the people in it.”

As they got to the front of the building he opened up the door and stepped out into the afternoon sun. There were other children out playing and enjoying the small life that had been made for them here in the Land of Birds.

"It isn’t a bad place to settle down, although I can understand a love of the road,” he said. He was sure it was probably safer to move around, but he was doing fine so far. "It is a land that wants to keep its independence and identity in the shadow of empires. They respect my will to keep these children away from the places that orphans often end up. It is fulfilling.”

He had spoken more than he maybe should have, but he felt like Ruto was trustworthy enough to confide some information in.
@
Sharp has written 177 posts
On the MendJan 14, 2021 23:29:03 GMT -5
Mikatakujira Ruto
Mikatakujira Ruto Avatar
groupMissing-Nin
Was Hotaru something of an enforcer? More than a doctor, but also a sort of bodyguard for this village at large. A keeper, in a way. It was a curious thing. He had never held such an attachment to a place before, really. Places were quite meaningless to him. Maybe it was because no place had ever wanted him, though. He was a roaming heart, not by choice, but by birth. He was displaced before even being brought into the world; maybe this was the only way he could've ever ended up feeling. 

"...It is an admirable thing, to aim for this goal," he said. He thinks on it. Ninja villages do not respect the children they take in. Ruto has limited morals. Sometimes advancement is more meaningful than other things. But anyone with his past could understand where this would come from, what the root of this feeling might be. Children as tools, children as weapons, children as lab rats. Children as little hands to reach inside the body and pull free the delicate organs.

"People take in children with ill aims all the time. Having somewhere so certainly safe for them in this world is important. Major nations are capable of getting away with great cruelty on a surprisingly massive scale. I can tell you care genuinely. And I am glad you're supported. If I ever decide to stay anywhere, perhaps it will be here. For now, I have work to do." And staying still would be dangerous. For both himself and this place.  
has written 141 posts
On the MendJan 15, 2021 10:51:03 GMT -5
Uchiha Hotaru
Nindo Goes Here: Edit Profile > Personal > Most Recent Status
Uchiha Hotaru Avatar
groupnull
age 24 years old birthday 2/14 rank B-Rank occupation
[googlefont=Roboto]
He smiled and nodded. He stepped aside so that the man could pass more easily, leaning on a support beam. He was not sure if they would be leaving town right away, but his own affairs would soon busy him again. He wondered about the work that Ruto might be heading out to do, but reminded himself that it was none of his business. Each of them enjoyed their freedoms in their own way. He was glad at least that they shared similar sentiments about the largest shinobi nations. Though he wondered if it might be a hint that his origins were in a smaller village.

"Farewell, I wish you safe travels,” Hotaru said to him. "Be careful on the roads, rumors are abound of cultist activity. Mostly to the west, if that is your destination.”

It was one of his own things to worry about, being somewhat close to the Law Country where they were seated. Tori no Kuni was a popular highway to the east and west for such travelers. He would soon be going on a patrol in hopes to make the roads safer, and to perhaps confront one of these jashinists himself. Many spoke of them as crazed, but he saw them as no more evil than the shinobi that he cursed.
@
Sharp has written 177 posts
On the MendJan 15, 2021 15:20:14 GMT -5
Mikatakujira Ruto
Mikatakujira Ruto Avatar
groupMissing-Nin
Cultist activity? That was fascinating. Ruto had never really run into many members of religions in his travels, at least not ones so dedicated as those who would gain the title of cultist. They were an interesting group, forsaking their chakra for a power beyond the realm. He was interested in it as a manner of study, but it was probably too dangerous to actually go poking his nose where it didn't belong. Still, people like the jashinists had achieved something closer to immortality than most. Maybe seeing how their bodies handled sickness would give him some insight... 

He would have to make his choice later. It would be unwise to stand here stewing on it. Probably even unwiser to go in without a plan and cause the cultists to be angry with him. He had enough people chasing him down to truly last a lifetime. 

"Thank you for the warning. I will keep an eye out. I will probably remain in town for a while longer yet if you are in need of any more aid. Just let me know." Even if he did end up circling out, he might pass back through not long after. He disliked the idea of staying anywhere near Earth Country for too long, and would probably be aiming his travels for Vegetable Country instead, but this land was a better route out than risking the deserts of Wind Country.

"Goodbye for now." He gave his companion a bow and made off to find somewhere to rest for the evening. 
last edit by Mikatakujira Ruto on Jan 15, 2021 15:20:48 GMT -5
has written 141 posts