pounced! | ryo [training]

compose a reply
pounced! | ryo [training]Feb 3, 2022 7:34:01 GMT -5
yamaguchi daichi
however long it takes.
yamaguchi daichi Avatar
groupMist Shinobi
age 17 years old birthday september 23 rank chuunin occupation mizukage bodyguard

I COULD EAT THE WORLD RAW

Daichi considered himself to be a fairly well-read student of chakra theory, but there was something about the Sages that he couldn’t wrap his head around. There just wasn’t enough about any of it in writing, at least not that Daichi had ever had access to, and he found himself now at a crossroads of having both plateaued in his training and being rabidly curious about Kirigakure’s resident tiger sage.

Which didn’t mean that he was bold enough to march straight onto the compound, of course. There were, you know. Tigers. Probably.

But in the process of working up the courage to investigate further, Daichi found himself taking more and more detours closer and closer to the Sage’s compound, until one day he found himself standing right outside the gate. He peered inside as best he could, trying to see—well, anything, really—when he felt something at the far range of his latent sensory awareness.

Daichi frowned, and tried to focus in on it—but it was moving fast.

Too fast.

Two hundred meters became one hundred meters became fifty became ten became five, and before Daichi had time to do anything other than brace himself that something came hurtling out of nowhere and tackling him to the ground.

LAIKA OF THQ

last edit by yamaguchi daichi on Feb 3, 2022 7:34:28 GMT -5
tactician has written 260 posts
pounced! | ryo [training]Feb 3, 2022 8:28:23 GMT -5
Ryo Koshutora
Strength is the power that shapes this world.
Ryo Koshutora Avatar
groupMist Shinobi
age 19 years old birthday 14/11 rank Sp.Jounin occupation Tiger Sage

TORARyo

Ryo was definitely fast, especially so when in his sage mode was fueling his body's strenght and speed. Today was supposed to be a normal day, but the sage felt something-or rather-someone he did not know approach the sage compound. They didn't move past the entrance gate before he'd be able to intercept them.

The tiger sage pressed down on his prey, using his body weight to help pin the scrawny looking guy to the ground. One arm over the guy's neck and a clawed hand-paw was raised ready to strike while fangs were bared inches from the other's face. He liked to look people in the eyes when he caught trespassers.

"Hello there." He growled with a toothy grin on his snout, less than an inch between their noses. The sage's tail waved slowly, denoting confidence. Who wouldn't be a little cocky when towering above someone else and holding them completly at their mercy. "It takes balls to come here uninvited and your face isn't particularly familiar to me." Ryo's grip tigthened. "Perhaps you could tell me-oh..." The tiger hybrid's sight fell down to the man's waist, spotting the insignia of the village. The guy was a shinobi of the mist, perhaps a new one, or at least someone Ryo hadn't met before.

The tiger sage relaxed somewhat, still keeping the guy down for the moment but at the very least he no longer wished to cause him harm.

"Who are you and why are you here. If I remember correctly I told Toru-kun that if he had business with me he could just give the scroll to one of my tigers roaming the village."
tags here

Nightshade has written 175 posts
pounced! | ryo [training]Feb 4, 2022 6:36:54 GMT -5
yamaguchi daichi
however long it takes.
yamaguchi daichi Avatar
groupMist Shinobi
age 17 years old birthday september 23 rank chuunin occupation mizukage bodyguard

Well, this was embarrassing. On the bright side, it seemed like Daichi had gotten t-boned by the tiger sage, so at least it wasn’t like he was out here getting jumped by your average everyday shinobi. Small mercies.

Daichi just held his position, not struggling or trying to fight his way to standing—he wasn’t getting mauled just yet, so staying in his position seemed to be the right direction towards not getting choked out. With the limited freedom of movement he had with one hand, he carefully reached down for the bag on his left hip, his fingers slipping inside in search of an explosive tag. Just in case.

It was a relief that this guy recognized that he was a Kiri nin, since Daichi suspected that was the only thing that kept him from getting murdered on sight, and the Lord Mizukage would probably be a little put out if his bodyguard was unceremoniously slaughtered.

Speaking of—

His survival instinct apparently flying right out the window, Daichi narrowed his eyes, raising his chin defiantly.

"I dunno who the hell you’re calling Toru-kun,” Daichi said flatly, "but I’m the Lord Mizukage’s bodyguard. I’m here on—personal business.”

LAIKA OF THQ

pounced! | ryo [training]Feb 4, 2022 10:35:16 GMT -5
Ryo Koshutora
Ryo Koshutora Avatar
groupMist Shinobi

TORARyo

Ryo blinked twice at the guy's answer. Of all the thing he could have said he decided to question him about Toru. At the very least he gave him something about himself he could go for. The tiger sage would snicker, still keeping the guy where he was for the moment, but at the very least in a much more friendly mood.

"Toru-kun has a bodyguard. Either the village is massively underplaying him or he's got to keep up appereances at all." He would reply, taking note of the guy's movements. Keeping track of someone's hands was always important, especially when pouncing them to the floor. "Well then mr.bodyguard. I'm the Tiger Sage as you can probably see. You're here on personal business, so perhaps you can enlighten me as to what that is. Mayhap it will make me more inclined to let you free, though I have to point out I quite enjoy the current situation. I would also advise you against squirming around. One would thin you're trying to do something and as long as you have no ill intention you have nothing to fear from me." The tiger hybrid's raised paw would slowly come down towards the guy's face, mostly to curiously tap at the guy's eyepatch.

"Also I'm really curious to see what's under this thing. You know...just to make sure I don't have to gouge your eyes out if you do try anything funny."

tags here

pounced! | ryo [training]Feb 8, 2022 5:01:33 GMT -5
yamaguchi daichi
however long it takes.
yamaguchi daichi Avatar
groupMist Shinobi

He’d had a loose ambition in mind when gathering up the courage to come to the compound, something about getting around to asking for training or maybe borrowing any literature the sages held on their own flavor of chakra theory, but Daichi’s plans scattered to the wind as he was forced to hear Toru-kun for the second time.

"Our Lord Mizukage,” Daichi said again slowly, for emphasis, "is a deeply capable shinobi, but as the leader of our village and nation he deserves the support of a robust protection detail.”

A pause.

"And the use of his title,” he added on, his teeth gritting. "I don’t know how you know him, but I’d ask that you show him some basic respect in my presence.”

It was probably unwise for him to be making demands, considering his position, but if Daichi were wise he wouldn’t be here in the first place. He was tempted to just tell the guy to buzz off, but his curiosity was even stronger now that he fully clocked that he was staring a tiger-man-hybrid in the face, and so long as he dialed back the Toru-kun shit then Daichi supposed he could continue engaging.

He stopped moving his hand towards his pouch, but didn’t return it to its initial position. The Tiger Sage said he has nothing to fear, but Daichi had made it too far in his young life to take that at face value.

"Curiosity,” Daichi said frankly, looking the tiger-man in the eye. "I study chakra theory and control, and sages are a big question mark in the middle of that. I was hoping I’d be able to learn something if I came here.”

He was trying to be more relaxed, less snippy, but then the sage tapped his eyepatch with one massive paw. Which—no. Off-limits.

He’d have to learn a technique that concealed it, or something; he’d been wearing it since childhood, but for some reason since promoting to chuunin it evoked more questions than he was willing to answer. His clan and his personal moral compass demanded honesty, but the Eye was a notable caveat.

"Under this thing? An eye,” he said drily. "Nothing pretty to look at, I’m sad to say.”

LAIKA OF THQ

pounced! | ryo [training]Feb 8, 2022 13:11:27 GMT -5
Ryo Koshutora
Ryo Koshutora Avatar
groupMist Shinobi

TORARyo

Ryo seemed satisfied by the first answer but not the second. At least now he knew the guy was nothing to be worried about. The tiger hybrid finally decided to relax and stop trying to force the guy on the floor, but still remained squarely on top of him. After seeking a more comfortable position, Ryo resumed their belly to belly face to face conversation. He found that people were much more prone to being truthful if confronted face to face. Or, at the very least, them being this close made it really hard for the other shinobi to lie.

"There is much to know about me, the first of which being the fact I bow down to no one. I serve nature and no one else. Politics and the like are better left to the Daimyo, high strung titles too. In the end when it really comes down to it what it matters is the person, not a word in their name. In any case, lets leave that matter aside. As you said you came here to learn and train not discuss semantics." He would use his right paw to gently quiet down the other as he was dryly answering about the eye. "Lesson number one: You really need to practice how to keep your secrets boy, the way you talk gives the gig up in seconds. Dry quick answers with a tense body language like this scream out that you're defensive on the matter. Seeing as I can't see any scar on your face near the eyepatch that also would have me question why you're covering a normal eye. " The tiger raised his paw and gently tapped the guy's forehead twice.

"Relax, little guy. I'm not your enemy. Breathe, take a moment. If you don't want to talk about your eye just say so, don't give me the nothing sphiel, alright? How about you share something else with me instead... your name, for example, what kind of shinobi are you. How you do things. You said you study chakra, am I to assume you are a sensor shinobi? Let's put it like this, if you share something with me, I will do the same for you one to one."

tags here

pounced! | ryo [training]Feb 8, 2022 22:37:18 GMT -5
yamaguchi daichi
however long it takes.
yamaguchi daichi Avatar
groupMist Shinobi

Daichi was quietly relieved when the other man decided to let the matter of the Mizukage’s title drop. He was dying to dig further into it—there was a difference between bowing to someone and acknowledging the position of leadership they held—but wisely Daichi instead kept his mouth shut.

Not that he had much choice in the matter, since he got shooshed by a big tiger paw.

The guy called him out on his defensive body language, to which Daichi winced in response—he was right, there was no denying it. Even his time in the hunter-nin hadn’t really taught him to be a good liar. There was something to unpack there about the Yamaguchi clan’s insistence on secrecy around the doujutsu not meshing well with their philosophical marriage to honesty, but that was an issue for another time.

Daichi wasn’t especially fond of being called little guy, either, but he was well-practiced at swallowing his pride. It seemed prudent at the moment, given that the sage apparently had no intention of letting him up anytime soon. The bargain he struck was fair, at least.

"I don’t want to talk about the eye,” Daichi confirmed, taking a breath as instructed. Not enemies, he told himself, despite his still-vulnerable position. You can learn something here. "Yamaguchi Daichi, chuunin. Sensor-nin, yeah, and I work primarily with sealing and barrier techniques. Defensive stuff, y’know?”

LAIKA OF THQ

last edit by yamaguchi daichi on Feb 8, 2022 23:07:38 GMT -5
pounced! | ryo [training]Feb 8, 2022 23:06:36 GMT -5
Ryo Koshutora
Ryo Koshutora Avatar
groupMist Shinobi

TORARyo

Now that the guy had decided to drop the lying antics, Ryo was in a much happier mood. As a thank you for sharing himself with the sage, the tiger hybrid finally rolled off of his body, stood back up and stretched around, wiskers buzzing and ears flicking.

"Well it is nice to meet you, Daichi-kun. I'm Koshutora Ryo, the Tiger sage. I guess my last earned shinobi rank is Special Jounin and I am a ninjutsu expert on top of my senjutsu prowess." He would offer one of his hand-paws at the other shinobi so that h could be helped up on his feet. "As you can see, my body is very different from yours, I'm more of a...well...tiger." The hybrid would twirl on the spot and allow the chuunin all the time he needed for a closer look. If Daichi were to take Ryo's paw he would certainly be able to take notice of the sage rather soft and fluffy fur. Said paw would be offered again in the case the other shinobi wished for a closer connection in order to sense Ryo's chakra.

"Sages meld a different kind of chakra, the flow of which inside my body is what triggers this change. I assure you the transformation is painless and I quite enjoy the end result. I assume you already know that chakra is composed of spirit and body energy...people like me are capable of melding their chakra with the energy of nature around us and use that to enhance ourself or our techniques to levels beyond what normal people can do."

tags here

pounced! | ryo [training]Feb 9, 2022 2:58:19 GMT -5
yamaguchi daichi
however long it takes.
yamaguchi daichi Avatar
groupMist Shinobi

Daichi-kun. He was more used to hearing that, admittedly—it really seemed like this guy, Ryo, was being honest when he said he didn’t give much weight to formality. He was just that casual. It rankled a bit, but again, his pride could be pushed aside.

And, you know. At least Ryo was getting off him now.

Daichi accepted the offered paw, careful not to get too close to those sharp claws, and got to his feet. Ryo helpfully put himself on display for the chuunin, which was comically at odds with how the sage had first introduced himself, but now that Daichi’s tension was easing he was finding himself more and more curious about what the hell he was exactly looking at. He did a circle around the sage, looking over him curiously.

"Is this—I mean.” Daichi hesitated, searching for a way to word the question delicately. It didn’t seem like Ryo was the type to care about delicacy, though, so he just asked. "Is this just what you look like permanently?”

When the paw was offered again, Daichi took it in hand, expanding his senses. It was—different, what he was detecting in Ryo’s chakra, like a two-dimensional image suddenly turning into 3D. He couldn’t make sense of it, at least until Ryo explained further, and his brow furrowed.

"How, though?” he asked. He kept a light, steady flow of chakra on what he thought of as his sensory bubble, maintaining a tight radius of ten meters so he could get a detailed focus on what exactly he was looking at. "Are you siphoning chakra somehow? Does it expand your reserves permanently, or is it a temporary thing? Senjutsu—is that specifically related to your, uh, nature-energy melding?” The questions were coming rapidfire, and Daichi was wholly fixated on Ryo’s arm now, as if he could see the sage’s chakra network if he just looked hard enough.

LAIKA OF THQ

pounced! | ryo [training]Feb 9, 2022 7:51:45 GMT -5
Ryo Koshutora
Ryo Koshutora Avatar
groupMist Shinobi

TORARyo

Ryo chuckled. Just giving the other guy a sample taste and he was already bombarding him with questions. The first one directed at his look. It was like the guy had never seen a tiger before. As he had explained, he currently wasn't too different from one.

"Hahah, no it is not permanent. You're not the first one to ask that. Alot of people think it is because they see me in the form alot due to my training routine. I'm a normal human just like you. I just turn into a tiger-hybrid when actively using senjutsu." He would answer, waving at himself. "Consider this a direct consequence of using nature energy. Doing so can be both blessing and a curse. On one hand, my body as you see it now is much more attuned to nature around us but were I to draw out more energy than I'd be able to handle, my body would turn to stone. Thus it's practice time day in day out to make sure I reach perfect balance."

Making sure not to harm Daichi with his claws, Ryo relaxed his muscles as the other ninja studied his chakra signature. 
"It's less about siphoning something and more of allowing nature energy to flow through you. It's more akin to... a channeling of sorts. You probably struggle to feel its presence around us unless you sense the difference between my chakra and yours, but I can assure it's all over us and it's a nigh endless source of power if you know how to make proper use of it." The tiger waited to be released so that he could give a more practical example. He waved for Daichi to enter a defensive stance.

"Senjutsu is the art of being able to not only channel, but also manipulate this energy and apply it to shinobi techniques. It's not just an aetherial force, it quite tangible under the right situations. Would you mind bracing yourself?" With that, Ryo's idling chakra signature surged instantly. The sage backflipped once to give himself space and would then throw a love tap once he saw the chuunin was ready. As he did so, an invisible force pushed against Daichi's chest in much the same way a gust of wind would. If he were to not be careful, the wave would be more than capable of pushing him to the ground.

"What you just experienced is taijutsu enhanced by nature energy, meaning I can use it as an extension of my body and make contact with the opponent even when I'm a few feet away. As per your question specifically, nature energy enhances everything: from my physical attributes to my chakra reserves. Some of these bonuses are temporary as I have to actively channel energy through my body to reap the benefits. Others are more of a passive byproduct of nature energy use. You would be quite correct in saying my reserves are much more substantial than what non sages possess. I would like to add that I also have some mild sensory ability despite not having an aptitude towards Chakra Sensory nor the training that comes with it."

The Sage couldn't help but grin.

"Mind that what you feel now is probably my combat ready state while I'm idling around in my tiger form. I have heard that during a fight my aura is actually quite oppressive. Tell me, what are your affinites? Do you perhaps have Suiton or Futon ninjutsu techniques ready by chance?"
tags here

pounced! | ryo [training]Feb 15, 2022 6:55:28 GMT -5
yamaguchi daichi
however long it takes.
yamaguchi daichi Avatar
groupMist Shinobi

Daichi listened intently to Ryo’s explanation, his focus narrowing. He almost felt like he was back at the academy with how quickly his mind flipped back into learning mode, zeroing in on Ryo as if he were a sensei giving a lecture.

"I can sense that there’s a difference between your chakra and mine,” Daichi said, frowning, "but it’s hard to pick out the exact feeling of the nature energy—it mostly just feels like your chakra but more. I’d have to have a point of comparison, I think, like know what your chakra feels like when you’re not… channeling? Is that the term?”

He let go of Ryo, and after a moment of confusion he followed the sage’s direction and assumed a defensive stance, putting his hands up and bracing himself. Despite his preparations the force of Ryo’s so-called love tap sent him stumbling back, nearly back to the ground, but pride and willpower kept Daichi standing.

It was disconcerting to think that Ryo was holding back.

Ryo went on to explain the various enhancements that nature energy afforded him, and his note on his latent sensory ability was especially intriguing. Daichi had something of a step up in training his sensory awareness, thanks to the jaakugan, but he had to train the doujutsu as well; none of it was something he simply got.

"How does your sensing work, then?” he asked. "Is it a latent thing, like passive sensing, or have you just been able to expand a sensory bubble since training as a sage?”

Ryo asked after his affinities and readied techniques, and Daichi cleared his throat, his face burning with a smidgen of shame. "Suiton and katon are my affinities,” he said, "but, uh… I don’t know elemental ninjutsu all that well, honestly. I locked into fuinjutsu as my primary focus pretty early on, and I’m good with ninjutsu in general, but I always spent more time studying barrier and sensory techniques than anything else.” He made a face, crinkling his nose. "Sorry.”

LAIKA OF THQ

pounced! | ryo [training]Feb 18, 2022 22:19:20 GMT -5
Ryo Koshutora
Ryo Koshutora Avatar
groupMist Shinobi

TORARyo
"I would say it is more of a passive thing. As I said before, my body and senses are immensely heightened. I'm hypersensitive and hyperaware of what goes around me, so to speak." The sage would walk closer to the other once more, offering his right hand-paw for Daichi to hold again if he wished to do so for any reason. "Hell, sometimes it feels like my body moves on its own. It took a little while to get used to, not going to lie, but now that I have finally worked my ass off trining day in day out like this I pretty much enjoy being half tiger."

Ryo would note the other's uneasyness when asked about elemental ninjutsu. 
"Oh it's okay, Daichi-kun. Usually I deal with ninjutsu specialists so I kind of give things for granted. Clearly you're specialized in other disciplines, which does mean that sadly I can't show a comparison between my elemental techniques and yours...but it also means I just need to figure out another way to get my point across." The orange ball of fluff's tail had begun to wave slowly at the other shinobi. Now that they had been sharing some time together and opening up to eachother Ryo was much much more relaxed and comfortable with the chuunin.

"Hmmm...perhaps I could help you fill that hole. I do not know about your duties but I could host you in the sage compound a day or two and train together for a while. It could give you the chance to do your studies, maybe pick up a trick or two long the way and I get to break the monotony of solo training. You also get to meet the tigers. I am sure Ko.aeda would love to play with you. What do you think?" The tiger sage hoped the offer was fair. Sure he could show him a trick or two and be done with it but either of them would just leave after barely scratching the surface.

"Oh and do not worry about your eye, I won't spy on you or anything of the sort."
tags here

pounced! | ryo [training]Feb 23, 2022 8:54:07 GMT -5
yamaguchi daichi
however long it takes.
yamaguchi daichi Avatar
groupMist Shinobi

Hell, sometimes it feels like my body moves on its own. This especially piqued Daichi’s interest; he added enhanced reflexes to his swiftly-growing list of mental notes and wished, not for the first time, that he had a damn notebook on him. He could use some of his sealing scrolls, he supposed, but that felt wasteful when he could just try harder to remember things. It had something to do with Ryo being so in tune with his surroundings, Daichi was sure—the symbiosis of his chakra and the nature energy flowing through him feeding him information on a subconscious level, allowing his body to respond to stimulus before his awakened mind had fully processed it.

Fascinating.

Ryo was kind enough about Daichi not having a single elemental ninjutsu in his repertoire, but Daichi visibly drooped regardless, mentally kicking himself for undoubtedly missing out on what would almost definitely have been an enlightening and incredibly interesting demonstration—but he perks up again just as quickly when Ryo extended an offer to spend a few days at the compound for training.

"Yes, absolutely, I’d love to,” he said, failing to reign in his obvious excitement, barely giving Ryo enough time to finish his sentence before agreeing. It would be good to fill in the gaps in his usual skillset, which was highly specific, and this felt to him like the kind of opportunity that didn’t come along all that often to people who weren’t, you know, sages. Or sages-to-be.

Plus, like, tigers. Daichi didn’t know who Komaeda was, but he was pretty sure they were a tiger, and would potentially let him pet them.

"I’ll have to ask Lord Mizukage to sign off on the time away, and arrange for my shifts in the rotation to be covered by the rest of the security team,” he went on, "but I’m sure it won’t be an issue.”

He did, however, tense up at the mention of his eye, and he chewed briefly on his lip, clearly at a crossroads of indecision. Despite the conflict of their first few minutes of meeting, Ryo was being terribly kind to him now, and Daichi felt awful about lying to him—but simultaneously, the entirety of his childhood of his mother and the Pathfinder drilling keep it secret keep it safe into his skull directly warred against his desire to be upfront with the Sage. Nevermind the additional wrench of—well, truthfully he’d always thought it was a bit silly, keeping the jaakugan so closely hidden even from their allies.

Eventually, however, his mother’s voice won out, and Daichi sighed.

"Look, it’s not that I’m unwilling to share,” he said, "but it’s a bit of a touchy subject and I’m not sure how to talk about it yet.” It was about as forthright as he could be, all things considered. "I appreciate you being considerate of that.”

LAIKA OF THQ

pounced! | ryo [training]Feb 26, 2022 20:36:42 GMT -5
Ryo Koshutora
Ryo Koshutora Avatar
groupMist Shinobi

TORARyo
"That's great news. Don't worry about the details, I'll speak with Toru-kun and get you sorted out easy." The sage would now grab hold of one of Daichi's hands with both his paws, making sure his claws wouldn't harm the chuunin, and gently pulled him deeper in the compound. "So, if you're going to stay here I want to have you meet the tigers first, as I said. You'll be living among them so you should have at least a basic idea on who's who. Not only that but I want to ensure both parties are comfortable in eachother's presence. It'll make it easier for you to move in and out of the place without worries."

Ryo eventually guided the other ninja through the entrance to the place and into the private gardens. The half-tiger would have the other shinobi sit down on the finely maintained grassy field before doing the same besides him. Even before they settled down, some togers were already strolling about at a slow pace. A few turned to the couple and with a huff or two more orange cats popped out. 

"These are part of the normal tigers around the compound. The streak is composed of about 16 specimen. Most of them like to hang around the forest by the shore on the other side of the building, over there... but, the ones here are usually the leaders. The bigger one over there is Milo, his sister Luna and his little brother Kiv. They look scary but they are just really big kitties. You give them a nice ear scratch and they will love you for life." The sage began pointing out each one to Daichi, said tigers slowly growing more curious of the new face and eventually approaching. Milo himself was the first to waddle up to the sensor shinobi, pacing back and forth a couple times before sniffing his shoulder. Having done that, the tiger decided to rub his face lightly on Daichi's arm and let out a friendly chuffing sound before laying down an inch from his left thigh. Ryo chuckled.

"See? As I told you. Big kitties and they looooove company. Now, I won't ask you to tend to them while you're here, that is either my job or my apprentice's, however if you wish to help me with this I won't say no. Besides, they are all exceptionally well behaved so you have absolutely nothing to fear, Daichi-kun." The half tiger observed as Luna came close to check on Milo as the bigger male pretty much decided Daichi's leg was a nice pillow to rest on. Kiv remained further away, he was currently busy following a critter somewhere in the grass.

"Now, I mentioned Komaeda. He's my partner and one of the shinobi and sage tigers. They will be the ones you will train with while you're here and rest assured they will whip you into shape, though to meet them we have to go to the training grounds. Any questions so far?"
tags here

pounced! | ryo [training]Mar 8, 2022 16:56:06 GMT -5
yamaguchi daichi
however long it takes.
yamaguchi daichi Avatar
groupMist Shinobi

This Toru-kun nonsense again. Daichi had let it drop before, given Ryo’s explanation of his general disregard for titles and that he had dropped it as well; but Daichi was deeply uncomfortable with the prospect of this being a consistent thing. He almost said something right away, wanting to put his foot down on the matter, but then Ryo was carrying right along and bringing him deeper into the compound. Decorum took over—he was a guest here, after all, and it would be rude to interrupt his host.

Also, tigers. Daichi was a simple boy at heart.

Before long they entered what looked like some kind of garden area, with a big, beautiful field, all obviously deeply cared for. He sat as directed, folding his legs, his uncovered eye going wide at the sight of the big cats milling about the field. He was still but careful to not be tense, breathing deeply to release as much as he could of the oh god big predators anxiety that his primal animal brain was pumping through his system. The one Ryo introduced as Milo wandered up to him first, and Daichi remained perfectly, carefully still—until the tiger decided that he apparently wasn’t a threat and settled comfortably down next to him in a way that reminded him charmingly of Hoshi. He breathed out slowly, and even ventured so far as to reach out a tentative hand to give Milo a cautious ear scratch.

Luna also came over to check things out, though her brother was far more interested in something else happening further away.

"It’s very nice to meet you both,” Daichi said, as earnestly as if he were speaking to another person. The fact that he wasn’t getting mauled was a good sign—he hoped.

Ryo asked if he had any questions, and it was like Daichi was broken out of a trance. He looked over to the half-tiger, blinking as if he were emerging from a daze, and shook his head. Then his brow furrowed, and he nodded.

"Um, yes—a couple of things,” he said. "I have two dogs, Hoshi and Mushi, and I don’t usually leave them alone for too long if I can help it, they get lonely—would they be able to join us while I’m here?” Something about dogs and cats made him feel like that might be a terrible idea, but it didn’t hurt to ask; he could always send them to his mom’s if it was going to be an issue. "Also—hm.”

Daichi took a deep breath, his expression sinking into a deep frown.

"With all due respect, senpai,” he said heavily, "I know you’ve known the Mizukage for a long time, and it’s probably weird for you to think of him as your leader, but that’s still what he is. I get that you don’t care about formalities like that as much, but I do, and I’d really appreciate it if you could refer to him more respectfully, at least while I’m here.” Honestly, he thought, even Toru-sama would be better than -kun, if Ryo was so adamantly against political titles and insisted on referring to the Mizukage by his given name.

With one big tiger halfway into his lap and another curiously sniffing at the scene, and the prospect of shinobi tigers in his future, he was deeply excited about learning whatever he could from the sage and his compound—but Daichi had strong principles, and he wasn’t willing to budge on this. If it came down to it, he’d just leave—he just hoped they could work something out before it got to that point, given how desperately he now wanted to train here.

LAIKA OF THQ