compose a reply
for cruelty's sake [training]Feb 15, 2022 11:21:09 GMT -5
nue masahiko
it is what it is.
nue masahiko Avatar
groupSnow Shinobi
age 24 years old birthday april 1 rank sp. jounin occupation team one leader

FEAR IS THE MIND-KILLER

It had been quite some time since Masahiko had trained directly with the Warden. He was overdue for a visit.

When they communicated it was often indirectly and in the form of Masahiko receiving orders by letter, directed to x prisoner in y block, and instructed to uncover whatever needed uncovering. Less frequently since he assumed leadership of his genin team, but he was still a regular sight at the prison.

In the time since the change in his position, however, Masahiko had grown to feel like in his attempts to teach his students, his own learning had stagnated, which was frankly unacceptable. His genjutsu especially could use improvement, but it was difficult to train alone, and he couldn’t in good conscience ask any of his colleagues for assistance in training. Not the type of genjutsu Masahiko had in mind.

It was with this in mind that he ventured into the bowels of Yukigakure’s prison in search of his old mentor.

Dai Ri’s office was relatively easy to find, though the rest of the prison was a sprawling maze. Masahiko knocked, and waited for permission before entering.

"Good morning, sir,” he said smoothly as he let himself in. "I was hoping to beg your assistance for a spot of training, if you’re amenable.”

LAIKA OF THQ
tactician has written 147 posts
for cruelty's sake [training]Feb 19, 2022 16:49:22 GMT -5
Yuki Shuka
If the world is cold, make it your business to build fires
Yuki Shuka Avatar
groupSnow Shinobi
age birthday rank occupation
For Cruelty's Sake
---
TAG
NPC
Dai Ri
WORDS
-
-
V
isitors were not a luxury that Dai Ri was afforded often. The imposing fortress of Yukigakure's prison was enough to keep even the most social away, not wanting to brave the claustrophobic walls to engage with a man that most found very frightening and unpleasant. Dai Ri's reputation through most of the village was that of an arbiter of justice, cruel and unyielding. Most knew his face, as he had been teaching genjutsu lessons at the academy for decades. Yet few new him personally.

Those who did knew him to be a much kinder man than his reputation would imply.

Perhaps that was why Masahiko was comfortable enough to approach his office today. He knocked on the door and Dai Ri instructed him to enter.

His expression at first was as stony as ever, as he was rather expecting business. When Masahiko made it clear he was here for training, however, Dai Ri's expression softened slightly - at least as much as it was able to. Years of this work had worn grim lines into his face that appeared to give him a glower even as he smiled.

"You know I am always pleased to help a bright pupil," Dai Ri answered, rising to his feet. He imagined the kind of training Masahiko required would not be best done in an office? Though perhaps it would be. "What kind of training brings you here today?" Dai Ri was a master in genjutsu, of course, but also in all things pain resistance.
ISHY of THQ & ADOXOGRAPHY

has written 436 posts
for cruelty's sake [training]Feb 23, 2022 9:08:30 GMT -5
nue masahiko
it is what it is.
nue masahiko Avatar
groupSnow Shinobi

FEAR IS THE MIND-KILLER

Bright pupil was perhaps kinder than what he necessarily deserved, Masahiko thought privately; he’d been a downright disaster for most of his extensive career as a genin, and that was no secret. But Dai Ri had received the best of what Masahiko had been capable of at the time, however, and had been his mentor as a chuunin, so he accepted the compliment gracefully regardless. It only ever served to make others uncomfortable when you tried to refuse their praise.

"Thank you,” he said, quite earnestly. "I was hoping to expand my repertoire of genjutsu techniques, as I feel I’ve been stagnating in that regard. I did a spot of research, and I was wondering if you were familiar with the demonic illusion jutsu.”

His forehead creased, his mouth thinning. His research hadn’t been especially in-depth, but what he’d read of the techniques had made them sound quite brutal. "I do feel as though some of the techniques are a bit crass,” he admitted, knowing full well Dai Ri's distaste for such ham-fisted strategies. "but they seem effective regardless, and I worry that I’ve spent too much time focusing on a more delicate touch. To use a metaphor: I’m skilled with senbon, but surely it wouldn’t hurt to have a sledgehammer in my arsenal.”

LAIKA OF THQ

for cruelty's sake [training]Feb 26, 2022 14:22:40 GMT -5
Yuki Shuka
Yuki Shuka Avatar
groupSnow Shinobi
For Cruelty's Sake
---
TAG
NPC
Dai Ri
WORDS
-
-
D
emonic illusion jutsu. Yes, they were not necessarily Dai Ri's favorite, but they were essential study for anyone interested in the art of genjutsu. Many of the guiding principles of genjutsu could be found within the demonic illusion techniques, and for the purposes of torturing a particularly resilient opponent they could be almost necessary if one didn't want to immediately resort to brutal physical methods - which Dai Ri, despite his reputation, did his best to avoid.

"The demonic illusion techniques are very heavy-handed, but sometimes a heavy hand is needed," Dai Ri agreed, nodding slightly, as though confirming that comment to himself. "I have my preferences with genjutsu, but I try not to judge jutsu. They are just tools to do with what we need and knowing when to apply them still takes a skilled hand." Part of the art of genjutsu was the element of fooling the opponent. You couldn't make it obvious it was a genjutsu, or they would know to attempt to kai out of it far too early.

"So, yes. I am familiar with the whole line and would happily tutor you in the subject," he said. "Did you have a particular jutsu in mind for today's training?" He asked. He may be able to learn the simpler ones himself, but he may also be looking to establish a basis.

has written 436 posts
for cruelty's sake [training]Mar 9, 2022 14:50:35 GMT -5
nue masahiko
it is what it is.
nue masahiko Avatar
groupSnow Shinobi

FEAR IS THE MIND-KILLER

"Oh, excellent,” Masahiko breathed, some tension along his shoulders releasing slightly. Dai Ri had never been judgemental or unkind to him, but he had still feared some judgment or displeasure. That was likely due to his own discomfort with the prospect of learning the line—they were objectively cruel, and he worried. What he was worried about, he wasn’t exactly certain, but the slight twist of anxiety in his gut was present regardless.

"I was considering starting with something simpler,” he said. "Dekishi Kakō is likely more generally useful, but rather than skipping ahead to a more advanced technique it would make sense to me to start with the simplest, which from what I could find seems to be Nakanaide. Once I understand the principle of the philosophy behind the jutsu line, then it would be a simpler affair to learn the more advanced techniques.” He paused. "I think. Please let me know if you think something else would be more appropriate, though.”

Perhaps he had spent too much time teaching and not enough time learning; he caught himself slipping into sensei mode, explaining his thought process as if he were trying to lay out to Kazu that he did, in fact, have to do specific trainings for a reason, and not just… telling Dai Ri what he wanted to learn. Whoops.
LAIKA OF THQ

NAME: Magen: Nakanaide [Demonic Illusion: Don't Cry]
CHAKRA USAGE: Low + Very Low Drain
CLASSIFICATION: Genjutsu
ELEMENT: N/A
HANDSEALS: 0
TRIGGER: Auditory ("Don't Cry")
DESCRIPTION:
One of the more simple genjutsu within the Magen, Demonic Illusion, tree. Don't Cry, once triggered by saying its name, tricks the touch sensations of a target's tear ducts. This irritation has the possibility to cause the target to cry profusely or enough irritation to dry out an enemies' eye. Whether or not these things happen is up to the victim, this jutsu is a mild nuisance over long periods of time.
last edit by nue masahiko on Mar 9, 2022 14:51:03 GMT -5
for cruelty's sake [training]Mar 12, 2022 15:22:47 GMT -5
Yuki Shuka
Yuki Shuka Avatar
groupSnow Shinobi
For Cruelty's Sake
---
TAG
NPC
Dai Ri
WORDS
-
-
L
ucky for Masahiko, the teacherly tone made Dai Ri smile just slightly, like a pleased grandfather, rather than returning any offense. It was amusing to his his student adopting that attitude, and a good indication that he was growing well into his current role. If an instructor was not enthused to see their students grow into a teaching role themselves, they were not a good instructor.

"I can agree that beginning with Nakanaide may be the way to go. The Demonic Illusion line is all about the interplay between unpleasant physical sensation and the psychological impacts of such. Amplifying fear of the unknown, but also discomfort with the self," he said. "Taking away the agency of the body. This is why we start with Nakanaide. Something so mild, yet it can have a significant impact. The irritation of the skin, or the sensation of being out of control of their own body are the goals here."

Genjutsu was always about control. The exertion of it, the lack of it. Presenting a false image of it. It was a game of the mind, attempting to distort perception.

"We can find a suitable target for you to practice on, but first - would you mind if I utilized the technique on you yourself? This is often the best way to become familiar with genjutsu, unfortunately." Dai Ri had experienced almost every genjutsu under the sun over the course of his career.

has written 436 posts
for cruelty's sake [training]Apr 6, 2022 8:18:10 GMT -5
nue masahiko
it is what it is.
nue masahiko Avatar
groupSnow Shinobi

FEAR IS THE MIND-KILLER

Masahiko wished he had a notebook—likely not for the last time today, he thought. Dai Ri’s insights into the mechanisms and purpose of genjutsu had always been enlightening, and he found himself wanting to jot down scraps of phrases; not just for study, necessarily, but also to remember for his own teachings down the road. Amplifying fear of the unknown, nut also discomfort with the self. A good principle to apply to genjutsu in general, not just this particular tree of techniques.

None of his students thus far had shown a particular interest in genjutsu, but a baseline understanding of genjutsu, their functions, and how to escape them were critical in the education of any genin. It was a difficult concept to teach to begin with, made even more so by genjutsu’s bland visuals compared to the flashy ninjutsu or exertive taijutsu that attracted so many young shinobi. Any wisdom Dai Ri had to offer would be furtively stored for later, and put to good use.

Before they proceeded, however, Dai Ri had a request.

"Oh, yes, of course,” Masahiko said, though his mouth thinned ever so slightly. For someone who prided himself on environmental control, Masahiko had always detested coming under the effect of genjutsu himself, but it all made sense in the end. To better break it, you had to study it; and if you were studying it anyway, you might as well use it yourself. "Ready when you are, sir.”

LAIKA OF THQ
for cruelty's sake [training]Jun 26, 2022 0:06:36 GMT -5
Yuki Shuka
Yuki Shuka Avatar
groupSnow Shinobi

For Cruelty's Sake
---
TAG
NPC
Dai Ri
WORDS
-
-
D
ai Ri intended to keep the demonstration brief, not wanting to make Masahiko uncomfortable for longer than strictly necessary. Something important, in Dai Ri's mind, was that even though he was a torturer and an interrogator, excess suffering was a tool to be wielded very, very carefully. He nodded his head and considered Masahiko for a moment, then provided him with a simple instruction.

"Don't cry." His chakra would lace in between the sound waves and be delivered to Masahiko's ears, initiating the process of the technique. It would be simple, straightforward, but also tremendously annoying. It began with a feeling like an eyelash dropping in the eye, or the sting of very strong wind. The eye slightly dry, irritated, the growing urge to rub at it. The tear duct reacting to the sensation, the imagined dryness, wanting to return moisture to the bothered eyes.

Before the effect could become too dramatic, Dai Ri would dispel it.

"Try to keep in mind the way that felt as you begin your practice," he stated, before heading to the door to go out into the prison proper, walking along the labyrinthine hallways easily.

Eventually he arrived outside the cell of a hardened criminal. One he had been slowly working his magic on. Adding an additional irritant to his daily schedule just might help.

"You can make your first attempt here."

has written 436 posts
for cruelty's sake [training]Jul 27, 2022 7:36:08 GMT -5
nue masahiko
it is what it is.
nue masahiko Avatar
groupSnow Shinobi

FEAR IS THE MIND-KILLER

Don’t cry. The words were simple, plainly delivered, and Masahiko had neither the ear nor the training required to detect the resonant tones of chakra within the soundwaves, but he tried to brace himself regardless; to no avail. Almost absentmindedly he lifted a hand to rub at his irritated eyes, as if there was just a stray eyelash that he could get out with a minute amount of effort; but as the seconds ticked by, the sensation only grew worse and worse—until, abruptly, it ended. If he hadn’t known it was a genjutsu, he might never have suspected, the effect was so subtle; yet, incredibly irritating. And this was the least of what the Demonic Illusion tree could do.

"Thank you, sir,” Masahiko said, politely dabbing at his watering eyes with the hem of his sleeve. "That should be extremely helpful.”

Dai Ri navigated the corridors of the prison with an ease that only he could truly possess. Masahiko had spent no small amount of time within this prison himself, but he required guidance and navigation even still, with hallways as puzzling and twisted as these.

When they stopped, Masahiko took a moment to pause, center himself. He took a breath, and then he nodded.

"Yes, sir,” he said. "Thank you.”

He turned to face the bars of the cell fully, folding his arms to tuck his hands within the wide hems of his sleeves. The prisoner within was awake, it seemed, though they seemed staunchly set on ignoring the Warden and his companion; which was fine. Based on the parameters of the jutsu, he didn’t think he would have to command the prisoner’s attention in order for it to work; they just had to hear him.

Focus. Chakra molded into a fine, thin layer at the back of his throat, and he brought it up and forward slowly: a similar start to how he molded chakra for Shihouhapou, preparing it to coat his mouth and lace through his words. It was a vastly different effect, however; translating an auditory trigger into an auditory illusion was a simple affair. An auditory trigger causing a touch illusion would be more difficult to force to take hold in the prisoner’s mind.

"Don’t cry,” Masahiko said, cool and even in tone. His delivery was adequate; chakra flowed through his words, his volume was accurate, his pronunciation precise. Ultimately, however: it wouldn’t take.

Masahiko frowned, his tongue poking out from between his teeth as he considered the issue at hand. Had he targeted the incorrect portion of the cerebral system? Or was he just approaching this the wrong way entirely? Uncertain, he glanced sidelong at Dai Ri, hoping that his mentor would be able to enlighten him.

LAIKA OF THQ

for cruelty's sake [training]Aug 5, 2022 18:08:47 GMT -5
Yuki Shuka
Yuki Shuka Avatar
groupSnow Shinobi

For Cruelty's Sake
---
TAG
NPC
Dai Ri
WORDS
-
-
W
atching Masahiko's attempt closely, Dai Ri noticed a few points that he could comment on. Genjutsu was a tricky thing. There were many sciences behind it, as there were behind most jutsu, but the core facet of any technique was will. Genjutsu, more than any other technique branch, was something that was as emotional as it was practical. The demonic illusion techniques in particular were something that roosted in a very emotional part of the mind.

The prisoner scoffed a laugh, clearly bemused by whatever that was. He muttered something that might've been yeah, don't worry about that, and turned away to further ignore the warden and his partner.

"From a technique standpoint, you did quite well,"
Dai Ri informed Masahiko. Practically speaking, it was a very good, functional genjutsu. It just had not done what was intended.

Dai Ri withdrew from his hip bag some chalk and walked to a place on the wall to begin drawing a diagram of the human brain. He circled a few key areas.

"Stop me if I make an incorrect assumption. You were attempting to flow the chakra from here, in the hearing center, to the part of the brain that handles sensation." He drew an arrow between the two places.

"This is correct, but only a part of the process. The demonic illusion branch of genjutsu can be rather complicated because you are attempting to attack multiple areas of the brain at once. A coordinated sensory assault," he explained.

"Nakanaide is as much a psychological infiltration as it is a physical one. Lack of control, irritation, humiliation. The command, don't cry, is meant to be a condescending one, a dominating one. You're establishing ownership over their senses for a time," he said. Then he drew a few more arrows.

"For this reason, you want to attack a slightly different area of the brain. The cingulate gyrus. The area of the brain which connects sensory feedback to our emotions. I've heard from my medical ninjutsu compatriots that this is the part of the brain which activates while one is crying."

has written 436 posts
for cruelty's sake [training]Oct 9, 2022 4:25:52 GMT -5
nue masahiko
it is what it is.
nue masahiko Avatar
groupSnow Shinobi

FEAR IS THE MIND-KILLER

The prisoner just scoffed at Masahiko’s efforts, to which he bristled, his mouth flattening into a thin line as he solidly ignored the man and instead turned his attention to his mentor. Dai Ri’s praise of his technical application was a slight balm to his wounded pride—but only slight. He’d still failed, hadn’t he?

Try, fail, try again.

His brow furrowed as he watched Dai Ri begin drawing a diagram of the human brain on the wall in chalk—wouldn’t that be a sight to discover for the next prisoner to walk these halls?—and circled, circled, circled. He nodded along; his mentor had the right of it, his exact thought process beat for beat.

”Oh,” Masahiko said suddenly, Dai Ri’s explanation forcing the puzzle pieces to click into place. "The limbic system, not the parietal lobe. The temporal lobe has nothing to do with it—sound is just the trigger, not the target.” Occasionally he felt guilty for the time he’d spent with the medical corps, considering he was not, in fact, a medical ninja; but the training he’d received was invaluable in situations like this, and he hoped that counted for something as a return on the investment the med-nin had made on his education.

With his perspective shifted, Masahiko took an additional moment to study the diagram, then turned back to the prisoner—who was pointedly ignoring both him and the Warden.

Condescending, Masahiko thought. Dominating. Irritation, humiliation. Revoke his control.

Molding his chakra came easier, this time. He focused less on the technique of it, more on the impact; visualized the pink flesh of the prisoner’s brain sitting inside his skull, the limbic system, the cingulate gyrus, the delicate bridge it built between the brain’s higher and lower functions. The egoistic man, and the basic animal.

"This is going to be a very long day for you,” Masahiko said. His tone was different this time, just slightly: there was a lilt to his tone that made him sound haughty. Snide. ”Don’t cry.”

LAIKA OF THQ

for cruelty's sake [training]Oct 10, 2022 0:51:31 GMT -5
Yuki Shuka
Yuki Shuka Avatar
groupSnow Shinobi

For Cruelty's Sake
---
TAG
NPC
Dai Ri
WORDS
-
-
M
asahiko had always had a good understanding of the biological mechanisms underlying genjutsu, so seeing the switch flip, the understanding alight in his eyes, was both expected and very gratifying. If there was one student Dai Ri could explain things to very directly and be assured they would understand, it was certainly Masahiko. Dai Ri did not have to dance around the intentions of genjutsu or simplify the physical descriptions. He folded his hands within his sleeves and watched Masahiko work.

He said the words once more, adopting the proper tone. The first indication that the technique had worked was the man in the cell reaching up to rub his eye. A simple thing, innocuous in most situations. Maybe an eyelash in the eye. But the irritation didn't abate, so he rubbed it again. Then again, longer this time, blinking, trying to get whatever was in his eye out.

Soon enough, he was frustrated enough that he stood up, pulling up his shirt to wipe at his eye. Every touch was only serving to irritate his eye even more, a self-defeating cycle. His eye was red and watering.

"What the hell did you do to me, huh?"
The man complained, coming to the bars. He assumed it had to be related, but if the man was familiar with genjutsu, his attitude clearly didn't display it. He seemed convinced it was something more physical.

Ignoring him, Dai Ri said,

"Good job. It had the desired effect this time."

has written 436 posts
for cruelty's sake [training]Feb 20, 2023 4:22:51 GMT -5
nue masahiko
it is what it is.
nue masahiko Avatar
groupSnow Shinobi

FEAR IS THE MIND-KILLER

Masahiko watched the prisoner. His expression, so often a smooth, implacable veneer, was now intent. Eager, almost, to watch the results of his work; witness the prisoner reach up to rub his eye, blink, rub harder. It was such a small thing, but even the tiniest discomforts could prove to be unbearably frustrating over time.

And for someone in the bowels of Yukigakure’s prison system, comfort was hard to come by. Having even the smallest thing ripped away could lead to madness.

The man, frustrated and eye watering, came closer to the bars. Dai Ri paid him no mind, but Masahiko watched him still, his gaze locked on as he focused on his chakra flow. Though the initial expenditure was relatively minor, it required some small upkeep, and he didn’t want to risk breaking his focus as he tentatively refined his understanding of the technique; how his chakra was moving, where it took root, the pulses it emitted through the prisoner’s nervous system.

"Thank you, sir,” Masahiko said softly, sparing a sidelong glance to Dai Ri. "It’s… more complex than I anticipated. I wasn’t expecting so great an impact of psychological priming on physical perception.” Not a wholly foreign concept, since most genjutsu with phrases as auditory triggers served to set an expectation in the mind of the target that was then confirmed by the illusion crafted, but the specific manipulation of humiliation, of fear, was unique.

Masahiko watched the man rub furiously at his eyes, glaring red and streaming tears as he held the technique for another moment. Two. Three.

He let it go.

"Thank you for your guidance, sir.” His tone was light, polite, intensity slipping back behind the veneer. "I’ll need to practice it further in a more dynamic situation, but this was extremely helpful. What would you recommend as the next step?”

LAIKA OF THQ

for cruelty's sake [training]Feb 22, 2023 11:02:08 GMT -5
Yuki Shuka
Yuki Shuka Avatar
groupSnow Shinobi

For Cruelty's Sake
---
TAG
NPC
Dai Ri
WORDS
-
-
B
eing ogled like a science experiment didn't seem to sit well with the prisoner, who rattled his bars and complained again. "Don't ignore me, you bastards!"

Dai Ri did not acknowledge this demand and continued to focus on Masahiko, who has his attention fully trained on maintaining the genjutsu.

"Most basic genjutsu require much less psychological priming, but the demonic illusion branch are meant to evoke feeling. They're... waking nightmares, in a manner of speaking."

Eventually Masahiko released the prisoner from his torment, though all the rubbing at his eyes had probably irritated them in the true sense as well. He returned to his bunk, scowling, all dark clouds, continuing to wipe the tears off his face.

Masahiko inquired as to what his next step should be. Practicing on the field was always an effective way to learn. However, it was good to get more training in before trying to exercise a jutsu in a dangerous situation. To that end, he stated,

"We always have a high volume of new prisoners in need of interrogation. If you don't mind taking on such a duty, you could spend the rest of your afternoon practicing your technique on those unfortunate souls." Too often, Dai Ri used the recently arrested as genjutsu testing grounds for students working under him. Who was going to complain if it got results?

has written 436 posts
for cruelty's sake [training]Feb 26, 2023 23:40:11 GMT -5
nue masahiko
it is what it is.
nue masahiko Avatar
groupSnow Shinobi

FEAR IS THE MIND-KILLER

Waking nightmares. Based on what Masahiko had read of the more advanced techniques in the Magen family, it was an apt description. Illusions of chains dragging someone beneath the earth; a massive fireball descending from the sky; revealing someone’s deepest, darkest fears from the depths of their own psyche. It was monstrous.

It was deeply compelling.

Dai Ri offered the opportunity to test the technique out on further subjects; there were always more prisoners that needed interrogating. Those whose fates brought them to the prison complex were so often used as training dummies for the students of genjutsu; Masahiko himself had learned the vast majority of what he knew under Dai Ri’s direct tutelage under those exact circumstances. The morality of the methodology was something that Masahiko preferred not to think about, if given the option. It was better than tormenting his students, or his friends.

"I would appreciate the opportunity, thank you,” he said. Better to practice in a relatively safe environment than in a potentially dangerous situation, especially if the technique might fail. The more chances he had to master it, the better off he would be.

He couldn’t navigate the prison on his own; only Dai Ri had that capability. But Masahiko was mindful of his posture as he followed the Warden through his prison: straight-backed, chin lifted, expression smooth and cold and disdainful. Psychological priming. Invoke feeling. The exercise would be more effective if he walked into it with the right mindset, and he was determined to do this correctly.

LAIKA OF THQ