Rockin' some rice balls [Souma/CE]

compose a reply
Rockin' some rice balls [Souma/CE]May 21, 2022 16:22:00 GMT -5
Souma
Don't work smart, OR hard. Work smart- THEN hard.
Souma Avatar
groupRock Shinobi
age 15 years old birthday June 9th rank Tokubetsu Jounin occupation Ops Team Medic

Souma
Of the Tantetsu Clan
Chuunin, Iwagakure Medical Corps

| 241 | notes

Souma nodded immediately, in full agreement of the removal of the lethal allowances. On that, they agreed, full stop. "Precisely. It is a waste. Of life, of potential- perhaps even of the humanity of the killer." That last she said uncertainly. She wasn't familiar with the experience, so she couldn't speak to it.

"Oh. I meant in a theoretical where the goal is simply survival, not staying inside the arena," Souma clarifies, thinking to herself. "Though-" She frowned, deeper in thought by the moment. "... you know, I think I might actually be able to not only survive, but subdue them, if it is simply the Jinchuriki losing control. I have no illusions of my ability to take on a full-blown Bijuu, but if it was simply my opponent in a rage..." She nodded slowly to herself. "The loss of rationality, I think, would leave the door open to be subdued. I do not think I could out-FIGHT one," she clarified, "-but there are other ways to render an opponent pacified. And I suspect I could at least survive long enough for the tactic to play out."

A brief pause. "Though I would very dearly rather not find out for sure. I am not so confident I would volunteer to risk death just to test the tactic," she admitted.

"Don't work smart, or hard. Work smart, then hard."

Template by: Monkey
Threnody has written 348 posts
Rockin' some rice balls [Souma/CE]May 21, 2022 16:32:19 GMT -5
Hyūga Shigure
the price of freedom is steep
Hyūga Shigure Avatar
groupnull
age 21 years old birthday August 20 rank Jōnin occupation Genin Team 1 Lead / Interception Team
header
"rockin' some rice balls".
"No matter how many people you may lose, you have no choice but to go on living."

PLANS

Shigure finished devouring the ninth Onigiri and folded his arms in front of his chest, leaning on his chair a bit more so that it would stand only on its back legs as he bobbed back and forth. "Indeed, but it's something I would rather not find out. But it does make me wonder how it could be suppressed. I know for a fact some Fuinjutsu work on them, but I'm not sure which and to what extent... I can't see Genjutsu working well, as I don't think their brain work the same way as ours..." he wondered, reaching out for his chin and rubbing it with the index and thumb, frowning his brows ever so slightly.

After a few seconds, he shrugged and smiled once again. "Well... Let's not worry about what we can't predict, right? I don't want to spoil the mood. So... What do you intend to do when you become a Chuunin, Souma-san? Join an operations team, perhaps?" he asked. Noticing how it must have sounded, he complemented his question with a bit of information on his own plans. "I applied to become an instructor at the Shinobi Academy. Helping the new generation is something I would love to do." he said, giggling in mild excitement.

"So what if it seems hopeless? If it were me, I still wouldn't give up. Embrace your dreams. And, whatever happens, protect your honour as a Shinobi, for the price of freedom is steep."

Between Rounds 2 and 3
Conversation
[]
[214 words]
Ren has written 1,690 posts
Rockin' some rice balls [Souma/CE]May 21, 2022 16:42:03 GMT -5
Souma
Souma Avatar
groupRock Shinobi
age 15 years old birthday June 9th rank Tokubetsu Jounin occupation Ops Team Medic

Souma
Of the Tantetsu Clan

| 352 | notes

"Mmmh. we are agreed, then. Let us never find out!" Souma proclaimed, nodding firmly as she finished her second rice ball, glancing at the last. "Are you sure you do not want the last one?"

She tilted her head as he wracked his brain for ways to interfere with them, and then smiled faintly. "Well, it would not be a permanent fix, but it would be enough to buy time for someone who knows how to provide a more permanent solution could be sent for, but getting larger only changes certain things. Mass, certainly, but mass needs to be fed. Chakra has to come from somewhere, and usually, it is a combination of both physical and spiritual chakra. Which means they would still be reliant on the host's body to provide the physical chakra to sustain themselves, and no matter how much protection the Bijuu affords the body, it needs to do certain things to keep doing its job."

She let that hang a moment before explaining herself. "Like -breathe.-"

Souma reached over and took a glass from the table and upturned it over a grain of rice. "See, no matter what the Bijuu might want to do to protect the host, it cannot protect it from air. Then, it suffocates, the Bijuu's host passes out, and ceases to do its job. So if you do something to the air- say, poison it- and there is not really much the Bijuu can do." Beat. "Unless the Jinchuriki knows the Filter Technique and can breathe poisoned air without concern." Beat. "Or has a gas mask I suppose." She rubbed at her chin a little. "Now I am wondering if I am missing something, or if every Jinchuriki secretly has a gas mask hidden on their person."

The next question caught her out for a moment. "Hm? After? I will join the Medical Corps. I do not think I have ever heard a village complain of having too many trained medics."

Rockin' some rice balls [Souma/CE]May 26, 2022 12:11:07 GMT -5
Hyūga Shigure
Hyūga Shigure Avatar
groupnull
age 21 years old birthday August 20 rank Jōnin occupation Genin Team 1 Lead / Interception Team
header
"No matter how many people you may lose, you have no choice but to go on living."

THE LAST ONE IS YOURS

Shigure shook his head. "I'm sure, you can help yourself to it. I think I had my share hahaha!" he laughed, being quite aware of how much of an appetite he had. In reality, he could eat the last one, but he didn't want to deprive Souma from it considering how many Onigiri he had eaten already. The girl's considerations regarding the Bijuu made some sense, but in truth he couldn't really know how they operated never having interacted with one, or at least not with one in full use of its powers.

He touched his chin and pondered about her words for a second, and ultimately shrugged. "Maybe. It's a logical approach indeed, but maybe they don't need to breathe, or maybe some of them don't. It's hard to determine without any actual knowledge on how they operate. Plus, yeah, like you said... I don't even know what happens to their gear if they unleash their power. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't." in the end, conjecture alone wouldn't take them anywhere.

As they changed the subject, Souma revealed that she was going to join the medical corps, and that made him smile. Villages did need medics, and the more the merrier. Most squads were usually lacking a dedicated medical practitioner, and they did bolster the success rate of missions, and reduced casualties. "That's pretty awesome, Souma-san. I hope you can succeed in your medical career and save many lives." he said with a kind tone and smile.

"So what if it seems hopeless? If it were me, I still wouldn't give up. Embrace your dreams. And, whatever happens, protect your honour as a Shinobi, for the price of freedom is steep."

Between Rounds 2 and 3
Conversation
[]
[257 words]
Rockin' some rice balls [Souma/CE]May 26, 2022 22:03:51 GMT -5
Souma
Souma Avatar
groupRock Shinobi

Souma
Of the Tantetsu Clan

| 270 | notes

Souma smiled slightly, that tiny little sincere smile, and took the last onigiri, rolling it in the seasoning and eating slowly. She didn't have too huge of an appetite, compared to most of her compatriots, but this was delicious and she was happy to indulge. The points he made, though, worried her a bit, and she frowned slowly- not in disappointment but in concern. "You might be right. If that is the case... I am not sure what I would do. Try to run, I think. Hope someone else looked more appealing to target."

She thought for a few moments about the gear, nodding and saying, "There is much we do not know. Maybe we will be able to make friends with our own Jinchuuriki someday and learn more. I hope to. I will need to, if I am to tend to one. Though I do not know if they will need more tending, or less."

She looked at her hands as she was praised, cheeks coloring faintly. "I hope I will save many lives, too. It is... daunting. There are so many things I have to try to prepare for. Broken bones, burns, lacerations, severed parts, disembowelment- I have been learning techniques to treat the most common- general trauma and impurities- but it only goes so far. There are so many specific injuries and maladies I would have to treat with mundane techniques." She shuffled her feet a little. "I have a long way to go."

last edit by Souma on May 26, 2022 22:04:22 GMT -5
Rockin' some rice balls [Souma/CE]Jun 1, 2022 15:38:30 GMT -5
Hyūga Shigure
Hyūga Shigure Avatar
groupnull
header

FORWARD

Jinchuurikis were scary, for they carried within themselves a beast of incredible power and massive chakra, something that was way beyond the scope of a regular shinobi, even a Jounin for that matter. He hoped he wouldn't ever have to face one in battle, but if it came to that, he knew he was definitely under prepared. "But maybe it's not yet time to worry about it... I have so much to work on..." he thought to himself, frowning his brows ever so slightly. Still, concerning himself right now would be detrimental to the exams, but he couldn't help but wonder who was the Jinchuuriki. Shigure eventually shook his head and let that question fade away in his mind.

The blue-haired girl mentioned she should try to make friends with their Jinchuuriki one day, which made him wonder who was the Leaf's Jinchuuriki. In all honesty, he didn't know who carried the Nine-Tailed Fox, but now that the curiosity in his mind was enticed, he would definitely try to find out; in some villages, the host was a secret, whereas other villages had that information publicly available to some if not all of their shinobi. He wondered what the case was with the Leaf.

His choice to let that subject die proceeded with their conversation about their future goals after the exam, and the girl seemed to be a bit flustered when he gave her his supportive words. As she described all the challenges she would be facing, he smiled faintly, remembering all the times he needed medical care - which were quite frequently - and how grateful he was for the med-nin work. "We all do, but as long as we always try to be better than we were yesterday, we will get there." he said, and he firmly believed that.

Between Rounds 2 and 3
Conversation
[]
[304 words]
Rockin' some rice balls [Souma/CE]Jun 1, 2022 19:11:18 GMT -5
Souma
Souma Avatar
groupRock Shinobi

Souma
Of the Tantetsu Clan

| 306 | notes

The more Souma thought about it, the more she concluded there were massive gaps in what she actually knew about the Jinchuuriki- in what the general shinobi public knew, even. She'd never considered it much, but she didn't know if the spirit could operate with the host unconscious, what would happen if the host died, what would happen in case after case of curious edge situations. Was the Bijuu bound anyplace in particular? Could it be surgically removed and stolen? Would it emerge and rampage if the host was slain? Did the host and spirit have to get along?

"Well. We do not ALL have long ways to go," she pointed out. "Some of us Shinobi are particularly old, talented, and educated shinobi with all the power we could hope for under our belts. So the road is not so terribly long for some, I would say," she pointed out, arguing the semantics. "But in the manner you meant it- which I think is "all of us here in the exam"... yes, I believe you are inherently correct."

She goes quiet a moment. "Say. Hyuuga-san. Have you ever wondered- if there are people who got hurt or killed later in life strictly because some of their best techniques were put on display to their enemies here in the exams?" She spoke quietly, musing- admittedly- a bit morbidly. "Surely it must have happened a few times. Students meeting as foes later on in life, and perhaps lifesaving techniques rendered useless in the face of their opponent's familiarity?" She considers it a moment longer. "Though by the same token, said familiarity must have saved some lives, as well, over the years, do you not think?"

Rockin' some rice balls [Souma/CE]Jun 2, 2022 14:29:18 GMT -5
Hyūga Shigure
Hyūga Shigure Avatar
groupnull
header

TRICKS

The point Souma brought forth was quite the interesting one: if people had been hurt or killed before because of the fact that they displayed their abilities to the world to see in a Chuunin Exams. Shigure knew for a fact that this did happen from time to time, but at the same time, holding back in an exam where death was an acceptable outcome was something that could definitely work against the shinobi in question. He rubbed his chin as he pondered about it for a second, remembering the words of his original sensei and uncle, Natsuo. "It happens from time to time. As shinobi, our techniques are also our aces, and exposing all of them can be rather risky. People are here watching us, studying us. Our opponents are also doing the same for the upcoming matches. However..." he paused, lifting his index finger. "At times we don't have a choice. Like we said before, some people have no qualms about killing during these exams, and holding back, trying to preserve out techniques can cost us our very lives." he added.

Shigure would then shrug and shake his head. "It is a tough call, either way. My idea is to reveal the least amount of techniques possible, but not at the cost of my life. If I need to use everything I have in order to survive, I will. And then I will just have to train even harder to add more techniques to my arsenal, so that if I come across the people who might think they know all my tricks, I can still surprise them." he said, which aligned well with what he had said before, to become better than the person he was yesterday, and to continue that in the future.

Between Rounds 2 and 3
Conversation
[]
[300 words]
Rockin' some rice balls [Souma/CE]Jun 2, 2022 15:23:35 GMT -5
Souma
Souma Avatar
groupRock Shinobi

Souma
Of the Tantetsu Clan

| 234 | notes

As Shigure explained his thoughts on the matter, Souma nodded slowly. She was unsure where she stood on the whole matter. She still rather firmly believed that it was... well. To her mind, careless. Granted, she was aware her perspective was limited- perhaps it would not be unfair to call it myopic, even- but still, the idea that submitting one's youth to this group testing could not only result in fatalities in the moment, but later on, struck her as... inefficient? That seemed the right word.

"Mm. I have techniques that are... unpleasant. Effective, mind, but I would feel very cheated were I to be incapacitated in such a manner myself. On the one hand, I do not wish to render anyone else to feel awful or to believe themselves unskilled simply from a bad match-up, but neither can I afford to slack off and allow myself to lose, be injured, or die to preserve someone else's feelings. I have a duty to my family, and my village, to do my best and prove that I was raised to be a shinobi worth being proud of."

She had to smile at those last couple lines. "And yes. New techniques to surprise those who think they know us. This is the way."

Rockin' some rice balls [Souma/CE]Jun 2, 2022 16:14:13 GMT -5
Hyūga Shigure
Hyūga Shigure Avatar
groupnull
header

LATE

The Hyuuga sighed, he could understand her frustration. Having actually lost people before in these exams was something that scarred him deeply, and little did he know that he was about to face that pain once again during the second round of fights of the last phase of this current exam. He could definitely understand her point of view, it would be frustrating to end up dying because of a mistake, or because of a bad match-up. Of course they could still give up, but at times, people were not even given that opportunity.

"It mimics the reality of the ninja world, in the end. You already know what I think about it, and if I could, I would change it. However, this time death is an option and all we can do is our best to avoid such potential outcome. Most of my techniques are rather unpleasant as well, and I would rather not subject people to it, but like I said, I won't kill anybody." and he spoke that with conviction; he had no desire of tainting his hands with blood in this event, he already had plenty of blood on him due to his missions. "We are soldiers, we owe it to our village, our clan, and our country." he added with a firm nod.

Ultimately, the solution for revealing too much during the Chuunin Exams was to improve, to learn more things, to grow past the person you were. With that being said, however, Shigure took a look at the clock on the wall. It was getting late, and they would be fighting soon. "We should probably go to bed. We need to be in peak condition for the fights." he said with a friendly smile on his face as he got up from his chair.

Between Rounds 2 and 3
Conversation
[]
[304 words]
Rockin' some rice balls [Souma/CE]Jun 2, 2022 19:58:44 GMT -5
Souma
Souma Avatar
groupRock Shinobi

Souma
Of the Tantetsu Clan

| 225 | notes

"I suppose that is accurate enough." Souma could allow that. They might not, either of them, agree with the policy, but that much at least made sense. "Do remember, though, that at the end of the day, if the choice for survival comes down to someone willing to kill, and yourself reluctant to kill... I believe the world will be better off if you ensure that you remain in it." She nodded firmly, assured of her conviction.

"Hm. Soldiers. I suppose we are. It is not the word I would go to immediately, but- then I suppose the majority of my responsibilities are to protecting our soldiers, rather than delivering violence on command. Perhaps that is why I feel otherwise."

Bed? Oh. Right. She nodded, reluctant to abandon a new friend so quickly, but recognizing the wisdom of his words. "That, I suppose, is true. I would rather not trade your sleep for conversation, since only one of the two is likely to contribute to your immediate longevity. Do your best in the trials to come, Hyuuga-san- and I shall do the same." The short blue-haired girl bowed politely as he rose, bidding farewell as he made his desire to abscond known.