Flowers for Zaemon [Private]

compose a reply
Flowers for Zaemon [Private]Jan 9, 2023 17:21:53 GMT -5
Ryuujin Shiina
Nindo Goes Here: Edit Profile > Personal > Most Recent Status
Ryuujin Shiina Avatar
groupMissing-Nin
age 27 years old birthday August 14 rank A-Rank occupation Geisha
In the city of fools, I was careful and cool but they tore me apart like a hurricane.

TAG -

NOTES -
HE was definitely observant, that was well-noted as he took off his haopri and silently draped it over her shoulders. "Thank you." She would whisper quietly, the only time she broke the silence while they walked. It felt extremely strange to travel with another person, not to mention a man who she couldn't quite read nor understand. Perhaps it had been her luck to have to avoid such interactions throughout her first few years of being a nukenin, but then again, she reminded herself, she had been in a very different place then and now. Shiina had been a 'new' nukenin, always looking over shoulder to see if Kumo shinobi or one of the allied nations' shinobi would catch on to her identity and attempt at her head. And back then, she could but also couldn't fend for herself. She was very skilled in her clan's kekkei genkai and stealth, but she knew there was more to shinobi when it came to fighting than simply knowing how to maneuver unnoticed and the use of elemental ninjutsu. The woman understood her weaknesses, deliberately avoiding all chances of interaction for fear that she wouldn't have the ability to defend against the unknown.

And she was now somehow different.

Shiina had honed her skills, being much more precise and knowledgeable in what she already knew, and learned from others what she didn't. It was one of the main reasons why she enjoyed learning and speaking to people, for depending on the person, they could teach them more through their words than any textbook could ever. She became drawn to the fact that people tend to let their tongue loose around certain people, and strived to be one of those people confided in, both in general and in shinobi knowledge. Nobody could really blame her though, since she no longer had a village and its country to learn from. There she was now, learning and acquiring everything she could through either word of mouth or demonstrations. It was a longer learning process, but if she could somehow gain a new skill, she wouldn't mind it.

It would seem that the woman had completely forgotten the small slipping of an antidote Muramasa had laced in the now-deceased samurai's drink, starting the entire night of chaos which followed. Recalling it now, she simply nodded her head, as he told her that he needed flowers to replenish his supplies, heavily implying that he had indeed slipped some poison or something into the man's drink. But it was more so the talk about his grandfather and his father's grave that peaked her interest, noticing the micro changes to his facial expression with each word he spoke.

Was she getting closer to learning the truth?

They would go about finding some flowers, a particular yellow which he used to compare to her eyes. From what he said, they were particularly deadly. Shiina made a mental note of its color and its name -- Aconite the 'Queen of Poisons'. It seemed like quite a fitting name by description as a deadly poison. She watched while he took out a kunai to the flower's stem. She assumed that he was extracting the poison entities from it and would proceed to examine the flower carefully. The fact that some of the most beautiful of flowers could be this deadly amazed her. "Knowledge is never something one should fear, and having more knowledge of more things can only help a person in their goals, whatever those goals may be." She would answer his question, thinking of how she could use poisons to her advantage.
MADE BY MIZO
Nue has written 269 posts
Flowers for Zaemon [Private]Jan 9, 2023 18:23:28 GMT -5
Muramasa Uemon
By any means.
Muramasa Uemon Avatar
groupWandering-Nin
age 19 years old birthday July 21st rank B-Rank occupation Swordsmith
Muramasa

Dark eyes took note of the woman's every moment as they walked together and he nodded as she thanked him.

It wasn't just attraction. Of course there was plenty of that... but he noticed something else. "Your footsteps are very quiet." The manner with which she walked seemed cautious. As if every step she took was deliberate. Every action accounted for. To be able to do that and still look as elegant as she was quite the skill indeed. After a short while he would continue. "Maybe you could teach me how to do that?" Stealth and misdirection were both skills he utilized in combat. But recalling a very recent run-in with some rōnin bandits he remembered stepping all over himself in battle's heat. That encounter left him two new scars, the one on his forehead which was obvious and the one on his abdomen that Shiina had seen. If it weren't for Taki's summon he might've bled out that day. He needed to be wary of such mistakes in the future. "How did you phrase it?" He thought aloud, eyes drifting up as he tried his best to remember. "'Knowledge is a two-sided phenomenon'." Not that every exchange need be reciprocal...  but perhaps this way he could learn more about her.

Shiina mused on the concept of knowledge and to that he agreed. "Very true." Was his initial response, but as he spotted a dirt and snow-covered root another question came to mind. "What is your goal, Shiina-san?" On this matter she had him at a disadvantage. He had laid bare his aims in the springs the night before. Knowledge was something he pursued as well... but as a means. "To what end do you pursue knowledge?" A part of him liked to think they were being honest but it was a heavy question. Perhaps she would share. Whether she did or not he would kneel down once more along the side of the road, using the same kunai from before to gently slice away at some of the thick roots. "Foxglove is entirely toxic. Flowers, roots, stem, and all." Once cut free he would present the thick root to her. It was an ugly thing. But then, so was its intended purpose. "Aconite and this will do for now. Let's rest up ahead, I'll show you how to prepare them by a fire." Placing the root in his satchel he would extend his hand to the woman and gesture with his head behind him.

A snowy meadow resided nearby accessible by a small path. Centered was an old fire pit. If she joined him they would arrive within minutes. After setting down his gear he would begin clearing snow from the pit and a nearby tree that had been felled to use as a bench. "Need some tinder... I'll be right back." He rubbed his hands together. Even he was starting to feel the chill. It took a few minutes but eventually he returned with decent-sized pile of twigs and thin branches. Crouching down Muramasa would get to work starting a fire, arranging the timber in a tent-like shape and using a kunai in conjunction with a worn down flint rock to create sparks. A few strikes and some gentle blowing later and a small blaze had emerged.
Yenga has written 624 posts
Flowers for Zaemon [Private]Jan 9, 2023 19:48:50 GMT -5
Ryuujin Shiina
Ryuujin Shiina Avatar
groupMissing-Nin
In the city of fools, I was careful and cool but they tore me apart like a hurricane.

TAG -

NOTES -
Her eyebrow raised slightly when he mentioned that she had light footsteps. Indeed, her years of training and her special skill of silent killing had given her the advantage which now simply became a habit. The woman gave him a smile, praising him for his observational skills. It was rare for people to have such skills nowadays, and so he would appreciate this innate ability. "You are very observant, and yes, I could possibly teach you how to do what I do. However, it took me a long time to master it. While I'm still not entirely a master of it myself, I can be of partake the knowledge, I suppose..." she eyed him though, her guard somewhat up from his suggestion. Silent killing wasn't just any skill, and she had come a long way from that learning from her teacher. "When we have more time and when it's not so cold, I'll teach you." She would leave it at that, her mind already thinking of ways that the woman would teach the man the ability. It wasn't something from a textbook and she simply needed some time to think about how to do it. Shiina hoped her answer was temporarily satisfactory.

Another reason why she would hold off was because she wasn't sure who he was and what he was capable of. The woman was sure that he was capable of killing, and that he used poisons. But certainly, if he only used toxins, he didn't need to drag that samurai outside to some unknown place. And there would never have been such bled shed with remnants of what she assumed had been a fight. In that sense, there was definitely more to uncover and she wasn't ready to simply allow a man she knew practically nothing about take on of her most proud skills as a shinobi. "My goal? I have people to avenge, questions to answer, things I need to do..." She looked straight into his eyes, her expression serious. "No matter the consequence and circumstance, I will find out the truth and make those who made me suffer experience that suffer ten-fold." Every syllable was enunciated, and for a moment there was anger and bitterness in her voice.

The next flower he showed her was definitely far from visually appealing, compared to the yellow one from before. He informed her that all of the flower was poisonous, and when he mentioned that they should rest up so that he could start a fire to prepare the flowers, it would cause another raise of an eyebrow. She was learning so much just from looking and listening. "What's the difference in toxicity? I assume that this flower and the one awhile back have different functions. If you were to be poisoned by this flower or the one from before, are there any ways to cleanse it?" Shiina's interest was finally peaking. Muramasa was quite the good teacher, and as he asked her to stay in an area while he went to look for timber to start the fire, she would come to realize that she hadn't actually learned in this fashion for awhile.
MADE BY MIZO
Flowers for Zaemon [Private]Jan 9, 2023 20:48:25 GMT -5
Muramasa Uemon
By any means.
Muramasa Uemon Avatar
groupWandering-Nin
Muramasa

Soon a respectable fire had grown. He tended to it a bit before sitting down on the felled tree and inviting her to join him.

"Sounds like a plan." She agreed to teach him. To be truly silent would indeed help his cause. But today was about her. And flowers. Slowly he removed the plants from his satchel, placing them on his other side for safekeeping while he prepared the mortar and pestle he brought. Shiina obliged him and spoke about her ambitions. He listened intently and once she was done there was silence again. "So I was right..." He muttered, turning his sullen gaze to fall upon her face. She too was filled with wrath. "You do understand." It was his first thought after she comforted him last night. He did not wish these thoughts— no, these burdens on anyone else. But it was nice to know someone who could comprehend.

Returning to the impromptu lesson he once again took the aconite flower delicately between two fingertips and showed her. "Most important thing to remember— handle all toxins with care." He began, deftly spinning the flower to show some fluids leaking out of the cut stem. "One prick from a thorn or some fluid in a cut... and you'll be in trouble." The Ryuujin woman inquired about failsafes and Muramasa nodded his head approvingly. "Very good question." He said, rummaging around within his kimono to produce a small vial of black powder. "Activated charcoal is a great antidote for many ingested poisons." A simple and accessible remedy. However... "Advanced toxins need specific antitoxins... usually made from the antibodies of an affected person." A tricky and messy process. He paused for questions before putting the charcoal away and flipping the flower back around.

"To make a tincture, first we extract the plant's contents." Producing his kunai once more Muramasa would move his hands deftly, slicing along the stem of the flower and using the tip to gouge out any seeds. He made sure to work carefully and capture the contents in the stone mortar. Once he was done he cut the remainder into small parts and added those as well. "Grind it up finely." He spoke, using the pestle to begin mashing the substance. After a couple times he would hand the bowl and tool to Shiina, allowing for her to try. "Toxicity varies but these two are fatal in small amounts. Aconite affects the brain and heart. Digitalis, mostly just the heart."

By now the fire had grown a bit and the young man would stand to throw more wood atop the blaze. Heat was welcome in this weather. Though the winds had died down for now.
Flowers for Zaemon [Private]Jan 9, 2023 21:08:42 GMT -5
Ryuujin Shiina
Ryuujin Shiina Avatar
groupMissing-Nin

TAG -

NOTES -
The young woman didn't allow the simple utterances of confirmation from the man to go unnoticed. She had great hearing and could infer from that comment he gave alone that they were on similar paths, but for different reasons. Shiina would return Muramasa's gaze squarely, for once as their gaze met, he would see empathy, that spoke more than any actual words could. She wanted to make sure he knew that she understood, regardless of if she actually understood at the end of it all. She had helped him based on no grounds, had done something she would probably never do before for any other, and hadn't walked away from him nor his company despite having had such interactions with him. Shiina cared for him, in ways that were not necessarily of one specific fashion. That much she wanted him to be aware. And then they would return to their toxin lesson, as though none of the emotions were present.

"I see..." she nodded her head, again taking a mental note that not all toxins would have ways to be cleansed. "It seems that poisons are very interesting, and their uses versatile..." Shiina would comment, watching as Muramasa began extract the plants' contents into a bowl. The entire process looked intricate, especially the extraction of seeds. After a few mashes of his own, he handed the bowl and instrument to her. Everything was supposed to be grinded finely, as one would expect from medicine. Of course, poison was a medicine in and of itself, or at least from the same family. The woman obliged, making sure that all the small seeds from the stem of the flower was ground finely. She quite enjoyed doing this step, a stress reliever of sorts, and for awhile they would again sit, allowing silence to surround them.

"So..." she began her eyes still focused on the bowl, "What made you want to learn about poisons? It seems like such a covert and roudabout way to do provide a meaning to an end..." her voice trailed, a sudden though came to her mind. "...although it's probably most effective if one wanted to lengthen another's suffering..." she imagined that some toxins would take a lot longer to kick in, and an even longer time to fully consume and possibly kill a person, second most aggravating way to die than torture. Where torture attacked a person's body, toxins worked on one's insides, which was a form of torture in and of itself. The flames burned, Muramasa throwing a few logs into it to ignite the flames a little more.

It was a warm feeling, and against the cold of the day, was more than welcoming.
MADE BY MIZO
last edit by Ryuujin Shiina on Jan 9, 2023 21:09:18 GMT -5
Flowers for Zaemon [Private]Jan 9, 2023 23:55:28 GMT -5
Muramasa Uemon
By any means.
Muramasa Uemon Avatar
groupWandering-Nin
Muramasa

As she spoke he nodded his head in agreement with her analysis of the deadly substances they concocted.

Effective was an understatement. "There are poisons that induce sleep, alter brain chemistry to play on fears, even truth serums." He would say, watching her hands as she ground up the plant parts. Once she was nearing the end he withdrew another bigger vial from his person. "Ethanol." Uncorking the bottle he would hand it to Shiina and keep his eyes on the bowl. "Add one part solvent to two parts solute." The exact amount of solvent used could vary but the important part was that they dissolve. While he observed the woman try her hand at brewing this concoction he would cross one of his legs over the other. He'd never thought of himself as much of a teacher... so it was interesting.

Thinking back to any other tidbits he could offer one more came to mind. "If you're ever in a pinch remember... any substance meant to heal can harm in high enough doses." Doctors were great assets for those interested in this kind of thing. Muramasa would interlock his fingers and look around the meadow. They weren't far from his planned destination... so it could wait until the lesson was over. The woman asked him what got him interested in poisons, saying that it seemed a bit indirect if he wanted to kill someone. "True." He said with a nod. "To me, it's just a means to an end." It was the way he viewed every aspect of his arsenal. Even and especially including his puppets which were his main form of combat. "Another tool to help me achieve my goal." Her comment about sufferings did not escape him and after a moment of silent consideration he nodded. "Suffering to me isn't the point... but at times it is a reality." His gaze met hers. There was truth in his eyes. Muramasa did not enjoy suffering, even of his most hated enemies. But it was necessary.

Admiring her he found himself getting lost in her features. How someone could look so elegant... he did not know.
last edit by Muramasa Uemon on Jan 10, 2023 14:41:45 GMT -5
Flowers for Zaemon [Private]Jan 10, 2023 7:37:29 GMT -5
Ryuujin Shiina
Ryuujin Shiina Avatar
groupMissing-Nin

TAG -

NOTES -
And Shiina would the vial Muramasa produced, listening to him talk about the effects of certain poisons, his mention of one that induced sleep made her indirectly think about what had happened the night before. The samurai had become unusually sleepy after Muramasa had slipped something into his drink. Had that been one of those sleep inducing toxins of which he spoke? The young woman decided to keep the question to herself for now, focusing on adding the ratio of solution to the bowl. A two to one, she told herself in her head. Although there were no exact measurements, she was certain that somehow measurements were important, especially for things like medicine and poisons. She would pour in the solution from the vile to the bowl, using her eye to indirectly 'measure' what exactly double of what she was mixing meant. This was actually pretty fun, she thought to herself with surprise.

If one could call making something that could kill fun...

The woman would then hear him speak of how poisons was simply a means to an end, and that it was a necessity for those who they were used on to feel suffering, not entirely what Muramasa himself may wish on people. She nodded her head, hearing the seriousness and truth behind his voice. "I suppose you're right...suffering by any means and for any amount of time isn't exactly the most welcoming thing to both be the cause of and have to watch." She shuddered a little as she thought about the last time she had watched someone struggle and beg for their life under her hands. Shiina had felt nothing at that moment, similar to how Muramasa had when he killed the man last night. She had been numb with rage, allowing the emotion to consume what little conscious she had. Had she enjoyed the process? Yes.

Adrenaline from having a person's life directly in her hands, where she called all the shots, had given her a thrill she never experienced before. She later realized that it would be short-lived, that what had happened was merely a reaction she had towards the situation which had led up to it. The woman shrugged the thought from her mind, the night she killed the councilman returning into her head. No matter how many years passed, no matter how good life seemed to be now, it was like a never-ending nightmare which continued to haunt her in her sleep. Shiina knew she wasn't a bad person because of it, or at least she told herself this time and time again.
MADE BY MIZO
Flowers for Zaemon [Private]Jan 10, 2023 15:38:42 GMT -5
Muramasa Uemon
By any means.
Muramasa Uemon Avatar
groupWandering-Nin
Muramasa

Seeing the woman appear lost in thought as she continued to stir Muramasa would place his bandaged hand over hers.

He nodded, faint smirk still lingering. "You did great." Now that the mixture was finished the swordsmith removed a thin pointed spoon from the satchel and began transferring the tincture into vials. He didn't carry syringes so it was a bit slow. Enough liquid remained in the bowl for two. Once finished he extended his palm, offering one to the woman. "For you... in case you need it one day." With that, the lesson had concluded. He would take the mortar and pestle from Shiina, cleaning them quickly with alcohol and snow before stowing them. Muramasa collected his gear once more before dousing the fire with more snow and offering his hand to the woman. "Walk with me a while longer?" He hoped she would oblige.

If so the two would soon find themselves back on the road. A mile or two from the meadow lied a small village. As it came into view smoke rose from several of the occupied houses. "We should take the back way..." He said, leading her wide around the side of the homes. Minutes passed and eventually they would arrive at what looked to be an abandoned homestead separate from the rest of the settlement. "Still looks the same..." A doorless forge rested on one side, and a modest vacant main house on the other. Towards the back was a short cobbled staircase with a small kamidana at the top. It was deathly quiet. Nothing living had resided here for many years.

Wordlessly he headed for and ascended the stairs. Upon reaching the zenith he stopped to pray. Two bows, a clap, a final bow. Once finished he turned to Shiina. "This is my family home." Muramasa explained, looking somehow even more sullen than usual. He had nothing to offer the shrine but someone else had already done so. At least his former neighbors helped with that. Looking around for a moment he made his way to some tress on one edge of the property line. A small patch of flowers grew up from the snow. Blue had caught his eye, and as he plucked them he nearly cracked a sad smile.

In somber silence Muramasa returned to the shrine and looked to the right of it. Tombstones loomed in the distance.
Flowers for Zaemon [Private]Jan 10, 2023 16:28:59 GMT -5
Ryuujin Shiina
Ryuujin Shiina Avatar
groupMissing-Nin

TAG -

NOTES -
The woman would be surprised when Muramasa offered a vial of the poison to her, telling her to take it in case she needed to use one day. She accepted hesitantly, thanking him not for just the 'gift' but for teaching her how to make. "You are a very good teacher, Muramasa-san." It was perhaps the first time she had used his name directly, looking at him in the eye before bowing her head. "I feel like the art of toxin making and its intricacies match that of the art of performing. People seem to think that both are easy at first glance, but upon close examination, there are a lot of small yet crucial steps needed to do it right." As a geisha, she had learned to learn from memory, and so she was perfectly fine with not taking any notes. She foreshadowed seeing him again after today and to practice what was taught, just as she had practiced for ten years every movement of a dance or every step of a tea ceremony in front of her teacher in order to commit it to memory.

"You are a good teacher..." she meant this, giving him a small smile while storing her new potion away.

Upon hearing him ask if she could walk with him awhile, she obliged readily, if not because she owed it to him to oblige. Shiina stood up and followed beside him, once again taking his arm. They would walk down the main road until they reached what she could clearly see had been a residence from someone. She glanced at Muramasa, the sullen expression once more clear on his face. Did this place carry some special significance to him? And as though reading her thoughts, he would tell her that this was her family home, ascending the steps to the zenith where he proceeded to pay his respects. As a guest, she would follow, paying her own respects. Although there were so many questions, she decided to ask them later, her mind trailing back to her own home in Kumo. Her home was not half as extravagant as his had been, but it was cozy and provided her with the warmth and happiness she needed in her childhood.

Shiina didn't know what to say, instead not saying anything. Sometimes words weren't necessary, her eyes taking in all that was in front of her. It didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that something had happened to his family, that it could be retribution that was driving the man to be and act the way he was. In that case, he and her had this common ground at least, thinking of her own revenge against her village and its people. But she hoped that whatever ill feelings he harbored and whoever he harbored them for would not be in the same intensity as what she felt, not yet coming to terms with what happened that made her who she was now.
MADE BY MIZO
Flowers for Zaemon [Private]Jan 10, 2023 20:55:14 GMT -5
Muramasa Uemon
By any means.
Muramasa Uemon Avatar
groupWandering-Nin
Muramasa

Two winter roses, blue as an unclouded sky, lie clutched carefully in his right hand as he moved.

Quiet had overcome him again but as the Ryuujin woman complimented him and bowed he simply shook his head. "I had a model student." Not only was Shiina exceptionally sharp but she was engaged as well. Asking important questions. Truly learning. She related the art of brewing poison to the one of performing and after some thought he nodded slightly. "Both have their challenges for sure... at least with poisons I can skip emoting." A joke, or half of one at least. Though it was clear from his demeanor that his spirits had shifted. As he approached the field of headstones on his family's land he grew very silent. Walking with careful consideration he glanced out at the field of the dead. Then made his way to the front where a row seemed to stop short.

Muramasa stood over the last grave, his dark eyes filled with sadness. Though... Shiina might note that no anger lurked there. The stone read 'Muramasa Zaemon'. Fond memories replayed in his head of the man. "My grandfather." He would say quietly, kneeling down before the stone in deference. His eyes shut in prayer once more. A few words uttered under his breath. He cleaned the snow off of the marker. Placing one of the roses there he attempted a weak smirk. "These were his favorite." But as he turned to do the same to the next grave he suddenly stopped in his tracks. "The ground." His voice was soft but strained. "It's undisturbed..." Another pause. "...they didn't bury him." Silence.

An empty grave. For a moment it seemed the worst of him was ready to emerge once more... but Muramasa simply shook his head. One more thing for him to do. "Have... you ever had someone taken from you, Shiina-san?" His voice was soft, almost a whisper on the wind. Monotone intermingled with grief. "A person you'd pay any price to get back?" Perhaps it was a foolish question... but from her words she seemed to have some experience with loss. Pain. Vengeance.

A hand wiped away some loose snow from the headstone. 'Muramasa Iemitsu' it read. His face remained expressionless.
last edit by Muramasa Uemon on Jan 10, 2023 21:04:54 GMT -5
Flowers for Zaemon [Private]Jan 10, 2023 21:27:37 GMT -5
Ryuujin Shiina
Ryuujin Shiina Avatar
groupMissing-Nin

TAG -

NOTES -
The woman gave a small yet sad smile as she heard his half-joke. He wasn't wrong, but he wasn't entirely correct either. A geisha excelled in performing, not only being skilled in the art of performance, but the soul of it as well, which had a lot to do with how they carried themselves on the stage, in front of their clients, and to those around them. Every second of every minute was an act, and despite how much criticism they received for their profession from those who didn't and didn't care to understand their line of work, it was one that not everyone could do. Shiina exceled at it because she was able to pretend to be empathetic to the most absurd of stories, being one of the best listeners. Many a times her clients would want her simply to sit there next to them to listen to their problems, because she had the ability to filter through the problems and offer just the right amount of opinion and words that wouldn't overstep into being too much.

It was truly an art, to actively listen and put herself in shoes where she had no experience.

They would reach one particular tombstone, to which Muramasa would inform belonged to his grandfather. There was pain in his voice, in his expression to the microfiber. If she wasn't a performer, she would have overlooked it easily. It was perhaps fortunate and misfortune that she could read people to the degree that she could, experience being around and talking to different people every day really perfected this skill. But when he asked her if she had ever lost someone in her life, the façade broke a little, and the momentum she had stinted. Her eyes betrayed her feelings for once, and despite allowing for it to, it was not calculated at all. "I have...I've lost many..." her voice came out in a raspy whisper. "Some of whom I wish every day would come back, and some I didn't lose any sleep over..."

That wasn't entirely true either. Even those she disliked, like her first crush's lover, had been a person in her life. The only thing which harbored ill-feeling between the two girls had been this crush. "I'm here to listen to you and your story, if you ever need an ear." The tone she had was earnest, so earnest that it caught her off-guard. She watched quietly as he placed two light blue roses in front of the stone and proceeded to wipe some of the layered snow off of it, enough to reveal the name of his grandfather.
MADE BY MIZO
Flowers for Zaemon [Private]Jan 10, 2023 23:33:10 GMT -5
Muramasa Uemon
By any means.
Muramasa Uemon Avatar
groupWandering-Nin
Muramasa

Upon hearing the woman's words the swordsmith merely stood solemnly over his father's empty grave.

Of course she knew. "I told you that samurai killed someone important to me..." He began, eyes still fixated on the tombstone. "That person was my father." Bringing the remaining winter rose in front of his eyes he continued. "Accused him of treason... executed him... and then banished my clan from the Land of Iron." Perhaps if he felt things normally he might have shed a tear. But he had none left. "I've been wandering ever since." If she had further questions he wouldn't mind sharing. Which he never thought he'd admit... but these past days had been ones of discovery. 

Turning to face her he could see in her eyes that the conversation had brought back memories. "Same to you." He would reply with a nod, a small kindness entering his gaze. "Not usually much of a talker... but I am good at listening." Shiina was one of the most interesting people he had met on his journeys. Naturally he was curious to learn more. After a few more moments of quiet reverence for the dead he would gesture with his head for them to leave and make his way out of the family graveyard and back down the stairs. The winds had picked up once more and a biting chill passed through his kimono. "Maybe we should head inside." He spoke, looking to the Ryuujin woman to see what she wanted to do. If agreeable he would lead the pair to the front of the home.

A modest thing, it was covered in plant growth and in disrepair from years of neglect. But the windows seemed to be intact. Pushing open the door he would slowly enter the threshold, floorboards creaking underneath his feet. "Like a bad dream..." The Muramasa family home was exactly as it was when they left. Ransacked by the Daimyō's men. A dining table was upturned, shelves knocked from the walls, and a picture frame lie face down on the ground, shattered. A wood stove resided towards the back of the residence. Muramasa made for it, opening the grate to find some old logs. "Father." He knelt with a faint smirk and used his flint to ignite a small fire once more.

Once it was going he would stand, looking again on the remnants of his old life. Slowly he began cleaning the debris.
Flowers for Zaemon [Private]Jan 10, 2023 23:47:28 GMT -5
Ryuujin Shiina
Ryuujin Shiina Avatar
groupMissing-Nin

TAG -

NOTES -
Shiina could tell there was some emotion behind the stone wall of a face. She continued to lend an ear, as he told her of his father, about how the samurai had executed him and banished his entire clan out of the Land of Iron. She could at least empathize, although her situation was far less severe in comparison. She didn't try to offer comfort, for comfort was not what he needed. She would also not say much, for a man of few words would probably not appreciate words that came too easy for some. The woman knew how to respond, knew what people would likely say in these types of situations, usually some variant of offering their condolences or pretending to understand the severity and graveness of a situation they probably didn't. To her, that was the ultimate form of fakeness, and as much as she entertained and put on a show for most of her clients, Muramasa was not her client -- she didn't need to be who she wasn't, nor exhibit any type of behavior that she had learned just to excel in the trick of a trade. Instead, she kept quiet as usual, until the man asked her if they would like to inside.

And that was perhaps the cue for her to say something.

But all that came was a nod, and as she was about to move her body, she felt a certain dizziness that she hadn't felt before, her cheeks flushed. It was as though time had stopped while they were standing in front of a tombstone, that even sickness could somehow take a backseat. Yet as she attempted to walk she would find her muscles slightly weakening, her vision blurring ever so slightly. Did she catch a cold from this weather? It was true that Kumo did not have such harsh winters, and that she had chosen to underdress for her travels. She didn't know that her body had become so weak to something as fickle as a common cold. But alas, there she was, dead in her tracks as she battled with herself to move. There was no time to be sick, she thought to herself rather ridiculously, chiding herself for not having worn extra layers of clothing.

The woman wouldn't look at Muramasa, her eyes fixated to the ground as she attempted to move with all her might. A fever was not going to stop her after all, or at least that was what she told herself. But she could feel the chills, the beads of cold sweat forming on her forehead and her body sway. It would take a matter of seconds before she felt her body fall forward, losing the last grip she had of control. Muramasa's haori fluttered off of her shoulders then, and she would close her eyes and succumb to a world of darkness. How she had allowed herself to be this weak was beyond her, but for now she broke her resolve, anticipating her body to make contact with the concrete floor.
MADE BY MIZO
Flowers for Zaemon [Private]Jan 11, 2023 0:44:38 GMT -5
Muramasa Uemon
By any means.
Muramasa Uemon Avatar
groupWandering-Nin
Muramasa

A sudden movement brought his attention round from his cleaning.

Swiveling up just in time to see the woman's form go limp his eyes widened. "Shiina!" A shout sounded out, carrying more urgency in its tone than usual. Ushering all the speed he could Muramasa shot out of the door towards her. Barely in time to stop the worst of the fall he slid along the ground and threw his arms out, his elbow seemingly taking the brunt of the impact underneath the woman's weight. Dark eyes scanned her face as he turned her over. She had broken out into a noticeable sweat. "She's burning up..." A frown emerged as he felt her forehead with the back of his of his free hand. Slowly he would place one arm underneath her legs, supporting her back with his other and rise to his feet. "Let's get you inside." All he would say as he delicately carried her inside.

Already the house had begun to warm, the dull flame allowing some light into its shuttered gloom. Some furniture still remained, a blessing as he entered his old room he would found his an futon still in place. "Lucky." He thought, kicking the cover out of the wait so he could gingerly lower Shiina onto the mattress. "I'll get you some water and a towel... won't be long." His voice was as comforting as he could manage. Making sure her head was propped up on a pillow he rose up and briskly exited the house once more. To a well was situated near the edge of the property. He had to be fast.

Retrieving a bucket of fresh water he hurried along back inside. Finding an old pot untouched by any would-be looters he poured some of the water into it and set it atop the stove's burner. Muramasa also found an old cup and a towel amongst the wreckage. Wiping any remaining dust with his sleeve he poured some of the cold liquid into a cup, removed the warmed pot from the stove, and returned to his bedroom.

Placing the pot down he sat at her bedside. Dipping the towel in the warm water, he wrung it out and dabbed Shiina's forehead gently. "I'm here." Speaking softly he would fold the towel and place it on her brow. Carefully as he could he would lift the woman's head and place the cup of cool water to her lips. "Try to drink if you can..." Throughout this process he would continue to check on her. People who did not know him well might think this concern uncharacteristic of him... but in truth, it seemed that he did care for this woman. Sincerely.

A genuine feeling that wasn't shrouded in his usual brand of misery... something he did not experience every day.
Flowers for Zaemon [Private]Jan 11, 2023 1:12:15 GMT -5
Ryuujin Shiina
Ryuujin Shiina Avatar
groupMissing-Nin

TAG -

NOTES -
Half anticipating her body to feel the concrete ground as she gave in to the realm of unconsciousness, she would realize that this was indeed not the case. Instead, she felt the warmth and somewhat softer cushion in between the ground and her body, the cushion being Muramasa, who, upon coming back outside would notice that she was not in the best of shape. She faintly heard his voice calling her name, a hint of panic that was quite new to both himself and her laced between his words. If there was much emotion the man felt, perhaps this was one of the few times he would show it to her. TO be fair, she thought to herself, she could be imagining things, even as an arm wrapped around her waist, picking the woman to carry her inside the house. She was in no position to argue, simply giving in by limply resting her body in his arms. Her eyes half open, she would vividly remember this moment at a later time, but for now she would succumb to the fever which plagued her, completely losing consciousness as they entered the house.

The next waking moment was also a blur, as she felt a warm something on her forehead. The room was comfortably warm too, compared to the jarring cold outside. She heard his voice, comforting and soft, much unlike what she had thought was his norm just moments before. In a fit of waking and slumber, Shiina would grab at his arm, her grip somewhat firm. It was perhaps her way of wanting to feel secure, to feel like she could hold onto something while she slept. The usual façade was now replaced with a peaceful expression, the tenseness she showed him ever since they met washed off completely by a fever. Her cheeks continued to flush, and she would whisper a little as she slept, as though she was having a bad dream.

And when she felt a little better, she would feel his arm around the back of her neck, propping her body up gently so that she could drink some fluids. It was unlike her to be sick, unlike her to show such weakness. But the woman was a human after all, with little to no sleep affecting more than she had originally thought. "Thank...you..." she said weakly, her eyes barely open long enough to utter anything other than gratitude as her head was gently placed back on the pillow. The combination of sleepless nights, stress and overall exhaustion were probably the factors that caused a simple cold to turn into a raging fever, but regardless, she would sleep for a few hours until the sun was replaced by the moon.
MADE BY MIZO