compose a reply
Natsu Yoru no Yume | PrivateJul 6, 2023 3:08:54 GMT -5
Muramasa Uemon
By any means.
Muramasa Uemon Avatar
groupWandering-Nin
age 19 years old birthday July 21st rank B-Rank occupation Swordsmith

across the water

Hama no Kuni, night, dark waves gently rolling over the sandy shores of Nagi-jima.

Usually, the wanderer did not have much reason to visit smaller nations. Especially those so far from his own homeland. Yet he found himself in the Land of Beaches. Brought here by a fisherman's small sailboat.

At this rate... he was going to need to learn how to sail. Departing the craft, he agreed to meet back up with the man in a few hours. For what he had planned that would be plenty of time. Lingering too long was out of the question anyway. After all, he had a child to get back to. No, normally he had no cause to be in a place like this...

...but word of swordsmen had reached his ears. Compulsion. An itch he couldn't help but scratch. The wanderer was no fool. He knew that carrying a sword did not make one samurai. Still, he had to be sure. Completely certain.

Throwing his hood over his head, he made his way inland. Following directions the local man had given him. Some place called Modoroki Shrine was apparently a tourist attraction. As good a place as any to start.

Silently he trudged through the countryside. Staying off the roads and aware of his footfalls. Deliberate. Quiet. A familiar feeling bubbling up inside of him. Excitement? No... something baser. Though he could not see it himself he could feel his face. Fixed into a scowl. Even the prospect of finding one of his fated foes made him seethe... 

A troubling thought. One that he did his best to ignore as he skulked amongst the forestry.

last edit by Muramasa Uemon on Apr 6, 2024 1:07:36 GMT -5
Yenga has written 622 posts
Natsu Yoru no Yume | PrivateJul 7, 2023 4:42:03 GMT -5
kyonosuke
Nindo Goes Here: Edit Profile > Personal > Most Recent Status
kyonosuke Avatar
groupWandering-Nin
age 18 years old birthday March 17 rank C occupation Courier

"Me gusta la mar
me gustas tú"

The world was dangerous at night. This, Kyonosuke knew. Many threats lurked in nature itself, but more often than not, trouble came in the form of man. Largely, the young man didn't run into trouble--he hadn't created many enemies outside of his hometown, and his family's success hadn't put any kind of real target on his back. Simply a merchant's son--no prestigous background, nobody special. He was not known as a legendary warrior, though he carried a sword, and he had no great reputation. Simply a courier who transported letters, and little more than just that.
    When he traveled, he often went all but unnoticed--he didn't catch many eyes, and he rarely drew any attention. Neither positive, nor negative.
    Simple, kind, and agreeable enough.
    But he knew that hardly guarantied he would never find trouble.
    So, he tried to always keep his guard up no matter how unlikely the chances seemed. He knew, better than most, how simply being in the wrong place at the wrong time could lead to disaster. And he was aware better than anyone of the disadvantages he was consistently faced with.\
    It was evening, the sun had long-since set. Kyonosuke considered finding an inn, he considered heading outland to make camp. There was an edge to his spirit that he couldn't quite shake, and didn't wish to ignore. Something that kept him awake for the time being--sharp. He took a seat on the stone steps leading up to Modoroki Shrine, exhaling softly as he rested for a short time. His eyes alert: watching. Just until he decided what to do next...

- ### - notes
MADE BY VEL OF GS

Mika has written 12 posts
Natsu Yoru no Yume | PrivateJul 8, 2023 2:25:40 GMT -5
Muramasa Uemon
By any means.
Muramasa Uemon Avatar
groupWandering-Nin

lies a country made of shores

Something had been clawing at his insides. Looking for a way out.

Vendetta. It lived there within him. Simmering always. Perhaps it was the own sense of stability he'd found recently that caused it to stir. Or maybe it was the skirmish at the Uda Estate that woke it. Or did it happen earlier?

At that ryokan. Two samurai, a boy who had his home stolen from him, sake, and a nukenin from Kumogakure...

Sounded like the start of a bad joke. As he moved through the underbrush, he minded his footing. Something he'd made a point to do lately. Strength or endurance had never been his strong suit. So he had to make up for his lack of them in other ways. With his mind. Subtlety. Suppa taught him the basics of stealth long ago. Now? Refinement.

Move like a ghost. Strike like a whisper. As far as his mission went, all odds were against him. Outnumbered and outmatched. But he still had his brain. Maneuvers. Plots. If he had any hope of succeeding, he'd need to adapt.

Exactly what he intended to do as he kept up his steady pace. After some time of walking, several pings entered his head. "One near the shrine..." He thought as he moved. "And another... further away." There were others. Civilians, likely.

Though by this point he had learned to tell the difference. Potent chakra signatures were the most suspect.

Ninja and samurai alike made use of the energy. Weaker sources could normally be discounted as non-combatants... unless they were sensors themselves. A rare enough ability to rule out most. Before long, he arrived at the shrine.

Peering out at it from behind he could tell one was close. "Time to find out for myself." Without much hesitation, he strode forth. Stepping softly as he rounded the edge of the shrine. The object of his hunt he found sitting on the stairs. "There he is." Slowly he placed his hands in the pockets of his pants. Near enough to his thigh holster.

Yet he didn't make a move. Not until he knew for certain. "Haori, sword..." Looked enough like a samurai. But he wasn't fool enough to go accosting everyone who dressed traditionally and carried a blade. "Excuse me..."

A voice broke the silence. Eerily even, just masking his less-than-pleasant intentions. "Is this Modoroki Shrine?"

last edit by Muramasa Uemon on Jul 8, 2023 10:50:05 GMT -5
Natsu Yoru no Yume | PrivateJul 8, 2023 5:41:50 GMT -5
kyonosuke
kyonosuke Avatar
groupWandering-Nin

"Me gusta la mar
me gustas tú"

The evening air was cool--but not uncomfortably so. It was just chilly enough to keep him alert, but far better than any stuffiness that came with summer's humidity. The Land of Waves was notorious for such, though Kyonosuke was accustomed to it's contrasting chilly nights. This country had a very similar climate, he'd found. Though the nation itself seemed an entirely different world--despite its similarities to his homeland.
    Safer, perhaps.
    He doubted he could ever convince his family to uproot themselves and move elsewhere, but still, he liked to think that perhaps one day they might be located somewhere safer. At times, he believed his younger siblings were better off on the road, and he wished at least he didn't feel that way.
    His train of thought came to an abrupt end when he heard something behind him--a voice that spoke up to break the silence of the evening. Kyonosuke had not heard the other approach, and he hadn't quite caught what had been asked of him, either. Startled, the young man turned where he sat, a hand on the hilt of his katana as he twisted himself to get a proper look at the one who stood such a short distance away. Mostly to shift the weapon away from the stairs as to not snag on the stone, or perhaps to...
    Kyonosuke's gaze was steady--but not unprepared, despite how he'd been easily caught off-guard. He was guarded--careful. But not aggressive or hostile, despite how tense the situation became.
    An assassin? He didn't know what to think. To approach someone from behind, dressed in dark clothing, in the dead of night--it was frightening. Especially to think of how easily he could have been harmed, simply because he hadn't heard--
    "Hm?" he asked.
    Though, he wanted to believe someone wouldn't have hired a hitman to execute a merchant's son, even that idea was naïve. He knew so.

- ### - notes
MADE BY VEL OF GS

Natsu Yoru no Yume | PrivateJul 8, 2023 16:27:52 GMT -5
Muramasa Uemon
By any means.
Muramasa Uemon Avatar
groupWandering-Nin

home to hallowed ground

Startled. Unsurprising due to the nature of his approach... and the stranger was right to be wary.

Good reflexes. It took but a moment for his hand to find the hilt of his sword. Though something else seemed off. Had he not heard him? "Apologies." He said calmly. "I didn't mean to startle you." Dark eyes fell to the blade.

Katana... he wondered what the make of it was. Removing a hand from his pocket, he gestured to the shrine next to them. "Do you know if this is Modoroki Shrine?" It had to be. "I've never been to this country... one of the locals told me I should visit if I had the chance." Get him talking. Ask him the important questions. Ascertain.

All part of his plan. It would be a foolish thing to make a move before he had all the facts. Much as he'd rather be done with the deed... he had to be sure. True, he was a killer. But he didn't do so without cause. His wrath was...

...targeted. Best saved for samurai and their ilk. "Are you a tourist as well?" The wanderer asked. Watching.

Letting his gaze wander to the shrine, he eyed it up and down. "How long has it been?" A thought crossed his mind, recalling his family's own shrine in Tetsu no Kuni. "Since I prayed..." It was much smaller. Functional. Less grand.

It still served its purpose well enough. 'The Gods'. A childish notion. Or so he now thought anyway. And even if they did somehow exist... he doubted he had their favor. Didn't have it when he was a kid. Surely not now.

Gods don't protect people like him. Things like him.

Natsu Yoru no Yume | PrivateDec 2, 2023 3:42:53 GMT -5
kyonosuke
kyonosuke Avatar
groupWandering-Nin

"Me gusta la mar
me gustas tú"

Kyonosuke stared briefly as the stranger made his apology. The teen's gaze falling to the other male's lips as he listened to the sound of his voice and made out the words spoken there. He didn't mean to alarm, and the de-escalation was a promising sign. While still intimidating in his own right, at least the stranger didn't seem interested in needlessly picking a fight with the first person he came across.
    Sightseeing, he explained. Someone had said he should visit the shrine if he could, or something to that extent.
    Though, it seemed a bit odd.
    Perhaps Kyonosuke shouldn't cast judgement for the decision to travel at night, as he was doing the same--but projecting his own reasons onto another still caused reason for wariness.
    And most people did not go to sight-see during the dark of night, when visuals were the poorest.
    "I'm not," Kyonosuke answered simply, calmly, at the question presented to him. He wasn't sure what he was, truthfully. A wanderer, a courier, or perhaps something else entirely. But the word "tourist" didn't seem a fitting or appropriate word for what he was. whatever it may have been. There was an appreciation for the world around him and the many different cultures he came across, but a tourist seemed the kind of person who had too much time and too much money on their hands that they had nothing better to be investing themselves into. Not purposeless, but a purpose different from his own.
    Slowly, the young man rose to his feet and lightly dusted off his kimono, not that it likely helped for much.
    "Modoroki Shrine..." Kyonosuke pointed with one hand to the building fixed behind the stranger, answering the question in part that it was indeed the shrine the other male was looking for. "...Looks far more beautiful in the sunlight, I would think."
    An answer, and a curiosity presented of his own. Not quite calling the stranger out... but not believing the narrative that was being presented to him, either.
    That he was so interested in sight-seeing he thought to come at one of the worst hours to get a look, and that despite the building of his apparent interest being placed behind him... the man's eyes were on Kyonosuke, instead.

- 378 - notes
MADE BY VEL OF GS

Natsu Yoru no Yume | PrivateDec 20, 2023 16:58:11 GMT -5
Muramasa Uemon
By any means.
Muramasa Uemon Avatar
groupWandering-Nin

a youth with a sword

Try as he might to conceal it, there was a palpable tension seemed to fill the air when he got like this.

Many people had called him many things, but 'actor' was not among them. And even if it had been... his eyes told a different story. Of some barely-contained anger that had long been repressed. They were like an animal's, almost.

Ready to strike, moments away from lashing out. "I see." He muttered quietly, turning his head to face the shrine once more as the young man spoke. A comment about when daylight was out being a better time to visit drew a keen glance from the wanderer. "Likely... but I traveled a fair ways from Tetsu no Kuni and didn't want to wait." It was all he could say to steer the conversation towards where he wanted. For a while there was a pause as his right hand returned to his hip. So that he could reach his kunai if needed. Then... "Where do you hail from?"

One answer would seal his fate, while any other just meant that he had to continue his search. Still the young man kept ready. Waiting and watching... because if this otherwise innocuous young man was indeed a samurai, he knew to expect the capability to attack at a moment's notice. Of course there was that second signature as well...

Drawing closer with every second that passed and seeming to be traveling at a casual walking pace. For the meantime the wanderer would hold any further decision until he could be sure this stranger was the one he sought.

If so, then the time for talking would be over... at least for a while. Until he was subdued with a blade to his neck.

Natsu Yoru no Yume | PrivateMar 7, 2024 7:45:17 GMT -5
kyonosuke
kyonosuke Avatar
groupWandering-Nin

"Me gusta la mar
me gustas tú"

Impatience. Noted, and not just in the man's words, but his manner as well. He seemed, more and more, to be beating around a metaphorical bush and irritated that the rabbit inside wasn't fleeing at the first rustle he made. Not wanting to wait for the sunrise to see a shrine that he had been significant to him only because it had been suggested by locals, and he was far from his home. Small holes, noted in his story and his behavior. The timing, his tone. It was enough to put anyone on edge.
    Whether it was small details picked up by his narrative, or Kyonosuke's own paranoia, something told the teen that the man before him was searching for something specific--and it had nothing to do with spirits or gods. "I am from the Land of Waves," Kyonosuke spoke up, his voice stern and clear. Uncertain of the direction the other was leading him in, and weary of it all. Being asked for help or directions was one thing--but personal questions were far more concerning. If he is a hitman or a thug, the only thing I can think of is that I'm grateful I was the one targeted, and not one of my brothers or sisters.
    But, still, information was dangerous, and it could connect people and causes together needlessly. Kyonosuke understood well the value in anonymity. Perhaps an inherit instinct from his bloodline, perhaps learned after experiences of hardship. Either way, he was hesitant to give away more, but if the man before him truly hadn't been seeking him out--then dissuading and deescalating seemed like the safest route to take. "I am a courier. That is the reason for my sword, and why I am travelling through distant lands even at this late hour."
    An explanation. One that would, hopefully, but the other traveler at ease.
    The traveler from Tetsu no Kuni, who, hopefully, was not actually an assassin sent to get rid of the thorn in some Lord's side.
    Though, Tetsu no Kuni was known for its mercenaries and samurai.
    Kyonosuke gave a small bow to the older male, though his eyes did not stray from the stranger. "I wish you well on your journey." Please let me leave peacefully.

- 374 - notes
MADE BY VEL OF GS

Natsu Yoru no Yume | PrivateMar 15, 2024 5:48:47 GMT -5
Muramasa Uemon
By any means.
Muramasa Uemon Avatar
groupWandering-Nin

mistaken identity

As soon as the words left his mouth, the wanderer's tension eased up a half-step.

Nami no Kuni was far, far away from his homeland... and unless he was descended from a samurai family, he would not have access to the information he required. It seemed his hunt had been for naught. "Ah..." He muttered.

Hand falling slowly from his hip, away from his holster in light of this information. The wanderer listened as the young man explained his reason for being here, and though he could not say for certain, he at least sounded sincere in his words. Dark eyes watched the courier offer a polite bow, wish him well, then begin to leave. "Farewe—"

Before the words even left his mouth another, sterner voice called out to them. "Hail!" Immediately his head turned to the source— which he then recognized as the other chakra signature from earlier. "I was too distracted." He thought, cursing his own lack of vigilance. As his gaze settled on the newcomer, he took in their appearance closely.

An older, bearded man with long brown hair tied up in a high ponytail. Garbed in a muted blue yukata, black hakama, and dual daishō blades tucked into a maroon obi at his right hip. "My name is Oda no Koshige." The man continued, eventually halting near the steps. "Would this be the fabled Modoroki Jingū?" A question. The wanderer watched as the man appraised the courier with a practiced, analytical gaze. Then, his eyes met his own, staying there and narrowing. "..." For a moment he grew silent, weighing his options. "An Oda..." He thought...

A samurai clan of no small renown who claimed descent from the Taira. Now it was clear to him that the courier was not  his intended mark, but this man who stood before them. Thankfully the only witness was the young man who had been ready to leave, but... "His eyes look keen." He considered, narrowing his own. "Fierce, like a hunter's."

Like those with a great deal of training, and as he stood there in silence a thought occurred to him. He may not have been the only one out here searching for someone. "I am Muramasa Uemon." He replied quietly. "And yes, this is." Not a moment later, the man smiled faintly, eyes still locked on his own. "I am grateful." The man said, then his right hand gripped his sword's saya, his left its tsuka, and he slowly drew it forth. "My quarry has been found."

Instinctively, the wanderer's hand moved to his thigh, a finger slipping through the ring of a kunai. But the samurai moved too. Steel met steel as he raised the knife to parry the initial strike, a loud clang sounded, then sparks flew.

One strike and the katana had already bitten through some of the kunai's edge, threatening to split it. Not only was the man fast, but he was strong. "Damn!" He cursed, minding his footing on the stairs as he struggled against the swing. A katana had much more leverage than a kunai, and he was already at a disadvantage. "I need to make space." The courier, whatever his name was, was too close to the action. If he did not move, there was no telling if he would end up hurt or not. "Run." The wanderer grunted, sending a swift kick towards the samurai's leg upper thigh.

But it was promptly checked by Koshige's shin. "Jujitsu?" He recognized the move as his kunai cracked more. "Shit."

Natsu Yoru no Yume | PrivateMar 26, 2024 1:36:05 GMT -5
kyonosuke
kyonosuke Avatar
groupWandering-Nin

"Me gusta la mar
me gustas tú"

Thankfully, some of the stranger's hostility subsided. The tenses in his body language seemed to wash away, an almost disappointed "Ah." As if he'd been itching to fight or kill the messenger, but decided against it for some unknown reason. If he is an assassin, it seems at least that I'm not his target. Something Kyonosuke was grateful for. Though it made him worry for whoever the young man was after, it wasn't his place to get involved in something so dangerous. Not when he had a family at home who wanted him to return alive.
    Another voice spoke up, and Kyonosuke turned his attention from the assassin to the newcomer--who looked to be an older gentleman garbed in more traditional gear.
    Kyonosuke raised a hand slightly in greeting to the older man's salutations. Though, he was just about to slip out of the conversation, it wasn't proper to completely ignore someone when being addressed. And, while the Yamaguchi was an elusive and private fellow, he held strong to social traditions.
    The newcomer appeared to be a seasoned warrior, if his age and the weapons at his hip were telling of anything. "Oda no Koshige", he introduced himself as--a samurai, Kyonosuke's suspicions lay confirmed. Koshige's steeled eyes landed on Kyonosuke, seizing him up before turning his attention to the assassin and there it remained.
    "It is," Kyonosuke responded to the question asked. Is there something about this shrine that I do not know? The wanderer wondered, being that this was the second person asking of it despite the unreasonable hour. No, more likely...
    After the supposed assassin introduced himself properly--Muramasa, Uemon--it seemed that, perhaps, the quarrel was between the two others who had arrived at the shrine, and Kyonosuke had simply been in the wrong place at the wrong time.
    Certainly something he was experienced enough to recognize when it happened again.
    The Yamaguchi's eyes widened slightly as the samurai dashed toward the assassin, his sword drawn to strike down the foe--only blocked quickly enough in time by Uemon's drawn kunai.
    Kyonosuke's instincts were hitting in rapid fire--freeze, flee, fight. All equally wishing to take over his body and leaving him idle instead until one rose victorious. Did he remain still? He would likely get caught up in the crosshairs of the battle if he did. Kyonosuke had no quarry with either of these men, and did not wish to get involved any more than he already had--but fleeing sometimes communicated guilt. If he did run, he could probably get away from harm's way--he wasn't a child anymore, and had the strength and speed to get out of more undesirable situations than not. Likely, neither forces would have the interest or ability to pursue him if he did run. But, likewise...
    He didn't know if Uemon was an assassin.
    "Muramasa" sounded familiar, though he couldn't quite place the name. He wasn't deeply connected with the underbellies of the shinobi world, so there was the possibility that neither of the men before him were of shinobi background to begin with. Which meant, at worst...
    One had a sword and many more years of experience, and was fighting someone of much lower rank who was only armed with a simple knife.
    It hardly seemed fair.
    Still, it's not my business, Kyonosuke thought. They both seemed to be looking for someone, and it appears they have found one-another. Who am I to get in the way of a battle between men? He had learned against it in years past. This was an opportunity to detangle himself from a mess he had no reason being a part of. And, deciding to take the neutral path, Kyonosuke abandoned the conflict.
    Focusing his chakra to his legs, he flickered away from the battle in an instant--his eyes wide and aware of his surroundings--landing squarely at the base of the staircase with a hand on the hilt of his katana. The weapon remained sheathed for now, but with the unpredictability of the circumstances, the Yamaguchi preferred to stay vigilant. And, if given the opportunity, Kyonosuke made haste to flee the scene.

- 684 - notes
MADE BY VEL OF GS

Natsu Yoru no Yume | PrivateMar 28, 2024 0:08:50 GMT -5
Muramasa Uemon
By any means.
Muramasa Uemon Avatar
groupWandering-Nin

leads to disaster

In a flash, the small knife finally split under the weight of the well-forged katana.

Splitting it cleanly in two, and almost cutting Uemon from collar bone to navel if he had not leapt back at the last possible second. The tip of the weapon did catch his jacket, however, and sliced it to reveal a holster at his waist.

The wanderer regained his footing and discarded the nub of a kunai, eyes locked on his foe, a slight glare forming on his face. By comparison, Koshige appeared calm and collected... even wearing a polite smile as he reset his guard. "You move well." The samurai said, daring to close his eyes in the midst of battle. "Though, not as well as I."

Frustrating as it was— the man was right. There was a clear gap in skill here, growing more apparent to him by the second. "Kunai, scrolls, dark garb... you are shinobi, are you not?" A question as Uemon stood his ground.

One without a simple answer, either. "Not quite... but closer to ninja, than samurai." Try as he might to mask it, disdain dripped from his words. Yet despite his deep-seated hatred, he had a few questions of his own that were eating at him. "Who are you, truly?" He asked in return, remaining vigilant for any sudden moves. "A rōnin?"

A fair assumption, considering the man's clan. "Your family share blood with the Taira... what quarrel do you have with me?" He watched Koshige carefully, the man seeming to be more amused by the inquiry than anything else. "My clan holds ill will towards the current bakufu, this is true..." The man began. "Yet, I am personally sworn to the shōgun." Even before he elaborated, Uemon felt a tinge of nervousness in his stomach. "Here?!"

Koshige's skill, his quiet confidence, the lack of hesitation in his movements. "I am my lord's blade." Uemon heard him say. "A hitokiri." Confirmation of what he already knew. "A slayer of men..." Instantly, he swiped another kunai from his holster and adopted a defensive posture. Koshige did not laugh, but a bit of breath escaped his nose.

Not in a mocking manner, but in recognition of the wanderer's caution. "I see you are already aware of what this means." Before their conversation could continue, the courier made his own move. Flitting away to the base of the shrine's steps with a well-timed jutsu... only to be intercepted by Koshige's own Shunpo, the man appearing suddenly to cut him off. "My apologies, young man." The samurai spoke. "But I cannot allow you to leave."

Witnesses would be an issue, as though this killing was apparently sanctioned, Tetsu no Kuni's laws did not apply here. In the eyes of the world, this was simple murder. "Do not show him your back." Uemon warned...

...for if he did, he would be cut down without warning. A standoff ensued, and the tension in the air rose. "Think." 

Natsu Yoru no Yume | PrivateMar 28, 2024 5:14:21 GMT -5
kyonosuke
kyonosuke Avatar
groupWandering-Nin

"Steadfast as winter,
they entered the fray"

"My apologies, young man." Kyonosuke's blood ran cold as the samurai appeared before him, and the teen halted his step to avoid collision--skillfully redirecting his momentum as he came to an immediate halt. And, it was in that moment that something shifted within Kyonosuke's psyche. His careful eyes locked directly onto the samurai's as they were met face-to-face, and the elder of the two issued his statement.
    "I cannot allow you to leave," he said.
    And, unfortunately, Uemon's words fell on deaf ears. Not that, thankfully, Kyonosuke needed to be reminded of the fact.
    You can, Kyonosuke's eyes did not stray from the samurai's. And, it was in that split-second that Kyonosuke made an evaluation on his situation.
    While he attempted to make his leave peacefully, the samurai did not seem interested in allowing him to leave--not without a fight, at least, it had been heavily implied. And, if he was truly a hitokiri as he claimed, then victory would only be established once one of them was dead. Kyonosuke was not a warrior, he had no legend or acclaim to his name, and it would not be his first time faced with somebody that he could not out-power.
    Kyonosuke did not want to be tangled up in matters that did not concern him, and unfortunately it seemed that the Man-Slayer was not one who liked to keep witnesses.
    Pleading would not work, and so Kyonosuke did not waste his breath.
    Instead, he shifted forward and released a barrage of quick, deadly strikes toward the hitokiri. Shifting his footwork closer to close the distance between them, and changing the tides so that the older man would have to hit back with more power or retreat a step back to regain ground. The teen's strikes would be sudden--of unexpected speed and precision, unrelenting. "Doku no Kaeru," Kyonosuke breathed--just loud enough for the man to hear through the clashing of their swords. "Noxious cloud."
    And, with haste, Kyonosuke breathed out a deep violet fume which immediately flooded into the immediate area.

NAME: Yureru Mori [Swaying Forest]
PHYSICAL TAX: Elevated (Drain)
PREREQUISITES: (Style Prereqs)
CLASSIFICATION: Kenjutsu [Style: Dancing Silken Steel]
ELEMENT: None
HANDSEALS: None
DESCRIPTION: This is a defensive technique that demands constant focus. Using a combination of balance, swift redirection of weight, and strong, calculated steps with flourished spins, the user of this technique becomes significantly more steadfast in nearly every way, blocking strikes, forcing back blows with equal force, and moving forward all the while to keep the target on their toes. This technique requires reflexive dedication to this particular style of kenjutsu and a keen eye for observing an opponent to predict their movements. It is used in majority as a defensive front to give the user time to analyze an opponent, devise a strategy while under fire, or to protect an individual or group that is in close proximity to the user. The more physically strong the user is, the more effective their blocking and redirection will be. This defense is best used against similar offensive styles (e.g., it would not fair well against a wall of water or fire).

NAME: Nise Dokuso [False Toxin]
CHAKRA USAGE: To Use: Medium | To Maintain: Low
CLASSIFICATION: Genjutsu
ELEMENT: -
HANDSEALS: 0
TRIGGER: Visual
DESCRIPTION:
While the technique is fairly simply technique and is somewhat slow to take true affect, it is useful none the less. The technique is triggered by the user taking a deep breath (although they'll often make a fake handseal before) where they then proceed to blow an illusionary poison from their mouths. This poison is always just quick enough to hit the opponent(s), where the target(s) will then slowly start to feel the effects of the "poison" which range from mild dizziness and weakness and slowly work up to coughing fits that end up with blood coming up and the weakness in their limbs apparently becoming more severe. In reality the target(s) are of course perfectly healthy still.

- 339 - notes
MADE BY VEL OF GS

last edit by kyonosuke on Mar 28, 2024 5:15:22 GMT -5
Natsu Yoru no Yume | PrivateApr 6, 2024 1:05:10 GMT -5
Muramasa Uemon
By any means.
Muramasa Uemon Avatar
groupWandering-Nin

a slayer of men

After each moment that passed, that feeling in the pit of his stomach only grew. Something that he had not truly felt in quite some time. "Fear," he recognized, almost instantly. "...I grew up listening to stories about these men."

Of how the Yamato first created their ranks shortly after they established the samurai caste, of how they consisted of the nation's best swordsmen to dispense of threats both foreign and domestic, of their impossible prowess with bladed weapons. Tales of their exploits were legend in Tetsu no Kuni, and for many children they were boogeymen.

More myth, than anything approaching reality. After his family's exile, when the embers of his hatred for samurai were first stoked, he thought them just that. It was not until his sensei told him of her encounters with them that he learned the truth. Hitokiri were not only real— but they were chosen specifically for their immense skill with kenjutsu and capacity for extreme violence. Oda no Koshige wore a smile and was polite in speech and manner... but this was a threat of an entirely different dimension, one that not even they had hopes of felling at this present moment. Uemon was but an amateur dabbling in death-dealing in comparison to this assassin. One sanctioned by the shōgun himself, no less. In an instant his priorities shifted, from intel gathering by interrogation to survival.

If by some miracle they were actually able to flee. "This is a battle best left for another day." he thought, his mind still busy concocting some sort of plan. Before he could act however, the courier lashed out on his own, bringing his own blade to bear upon the samurai. "Oh!" Uemon heard the samurai say, almost jovial in his tone as the clang of metal on metal sounded out, Koshige expertly parrying each strike.  "You are quite skilled for one so young!" 

At even this distance, the wanderer could tell that the courier moved well. A practiced swordsman in his own right, it seemed, but... "Fighting him head-on is suicide." Koshige refused to give even an inch of ground, striking back with his own Rōtetsusen-ryū: Noto to disperse the boy's strikes with three controlled slashes of his own. Its intent was clearly to guard against the onslaught, but if the courier was not careful, he could be cut by the sheer force the attacks carried. Killing intent seemed to flood the air as Koshige narrowed his eyes, and Uemon's eyes widened.

Instinctively, his left hand moved, conjuring up several threads made of chakra that shot outwards from his fingertips, sticking to Koshige at various points via his Soen: Tezā. Not a moment too soon as the hitokiri's blade halted mere centimeters away from the courier's throat. "Hm?" He heard the man hum in confusion, his smiling face becoming tinged with curiosity as his own hand turned the blade against his will, then suddenly jerked back. To rest on his own throat. "Ah, so it is true," the samurai spoke, Uemon realizing that his strings were fully tensed, and that the attack had not followed-through. "He is resisting it?" a thought, his own face now colored by muted surprise. "Through sheer physicality?" Koshige remained stationary as the courier's illusion went off, and the man merely smiled as the seemingly toxic enveloped him. "I heard tell you utilize these—" A pause, exertion in his voice like someone trying to speak while holding a breath. "Shinobi strings." The threads groaned, then snapped.

Things became difficult to see within the dark cloud, but Uemon heard the distinctive click of a sword being sheathed. "Iaido." he knew almost instantly. The courier was the closest, and would likely be the target... and Uemon considered taking the opportunity to flee himself. "He would make for a good distraction..." A truthful observation, but before he knew it, his legs began to move. "No," he thought, winding an arm back. "This foe is mine to face, not his."

Not out of altruism, or sympathy, but out of spite he moved to intercept. Uemon tossed the kunai at the samurai's chakra signature, took a deep breath, formed a single Tora seal, then utilizing the Shunshin no Jutsu to blur into the cloud. Appearing within Koshige's range in hopes of taking attention away from the courier. A glint of steel preceded the deflection of his kunai, followed by the cold draw of a sharp blade across his face. Then, suddenly...

...vision in his right eye was gone. "Ah!" Pain— then a streak of blood spattering the ground below. "It is gone." the uncertain thought occurred, but he grit his teeth through the hurt and stepped into Koshige's guard to grip the wrist of his sword hand and the collar of his yukata. "Now!" He growled at the courier in his periphery. "Flee!"

Oda no Koshige looked more amused then worried. "Muramasa-dono," he heard him say, respectfully despite his blood on the man's blade. "Do you believe you can match my strength?" Uemon tightened his grip, then shifted his feet. Tensing his body as he prepared for close combat. "I will not have to." he said, Koshige chuckling in reply.

Already he could feel the man struggle against his grip, and his own hold weaken. "Push back." he thought, waiting for the exact window he needed. The man was trained in Jujitsu, but Uemon suspected his focus lied in swordplay.

It was a necessary risk... and if it paid off, it might give him the chance he needed to escape. "Just a bit more."

OFFENSIVE TECHNIQUES:
NAME: Soen: Tezā - [Puppet Performance: Tether]
CHAKRA USAGE: Medium [Continuous]
CLASSIFICATION: Ninjutsu [Puppetry]
ELEMENT: N/a
REQUIREMENTS: N/a
DESCRIPTION:
A puppet performance technique where chakra threads are attached to various spots on a person's body; the head, torso, both arms, and both legs. The person being manipulated gains the ability to not only use their own techniques, but the skills of the puppeteer as well. The amount of control required for this technique results in it having a limited duration, lasting only 3 of the puppeteer's posts.

SUPPORTIVE TECHNIQUES:
NAME: Shunshin no Jutsu [Body Flicker Technique]
CHAKRA USAGE: Low
CLASSIFICATION: Ninjutsu [General]
ELEMENT: None
HANDSEALS: 1
DESCRIPTION:
By invigorating one's entire body with chakra, a shinobi can seemingly disappear and reappear in another location faster than most people can see. Often times one's movements are disguised with the use of an extra element, be it a smoke bomb, leaves, water, sand, etc. in order to hide the user's trajectory from those with skilled eyes. Though it mimics teleportation, it is important to remember this jutsu merely boosts the agility of its user. As useful as this technique is, it can only be used 4 times in a battle thread, compounding in exertion and difficulty each time. with any more usages beyond that result in muscle tears in the legs from overexertion. The hand seal for this technique must be held until the shinobi reaches their destination, making it impossible to utilize other techniques regardless of any preparation.

SPECIAL ABILITIES:

KASHIRA-WARI・首割り - ENHANCED CHAKRA CONTROL
Puppeteers must maintain expert control over their wide selection of puppets, and so too must a shinobi with their chakra. Necessary for his Puppet Ninjutsu and applicable to his other techniques, Uemon has trained extensively in order to mitigate the amount of chakra he uses with his jutsu. Compensating for his average chakra reserves this allows him to stay in the fight that much longer.

TSUKURIMONO・作り物 - INTELLIGENCE
Stage and setting can make or break a performance. A director needs vigilance and flexibility to ensure all the moving parts of a play go off without a hitch. A learned strategist with a quick mind, Uemon is always observing even in the midst of combat. This allows for him to find gaps and weaknesses in his opponent's techniques easier than some, and allows him to formulate strategies and deceptions to take advantage of these shortcomings. A knack for tactics cues him on which approach works best depending on his target.

ASHIZUKAI・足遣い - SPEED
Operating the legs of a puppet requires dexterity and agility. Much like moving one's own body. As a child in Tetsu no Kuni Uemon trained in Jujitsu and Kenjutsu, finding his aptitude for speed rather than strength. Honed after years on the road with his mentors, Uemon is surprisingly light on his feet and his hand-to-hand strikes are faster than most expect. Able to strike and weave with deft swiftness he is capable of holding his own against Taijutsu specialists of his rank and outright overwhelming those of lower ranks in terms of speed.

SHOMEI・署名 - SENSOR TYPE 
Lighting is a crucial part of any play. Identifying the actors and drawing focus to them in the dark. With much training Uemon has become a Sensor Type, able to detect and hone in on chakra signatures akin to a sixth sense of sorts. A useful tool when it comes to tracking or surveillance. As of now, he is capable of passively sensing chakra up to one hundred meters from his body, or one kilometer if actively searching. This also allows him to more efficiently utilize his puppets without needing a direct line of sight to his targets. Knowing the placement of actors on stage at all times is essential.
last edit by Muramasa Uemon on Apr 6, 2024 14:54:45 GMT -5
Natsu Yoru no Yume | PrivateApr 23, 2024 6:23:28 GMT -5
kyonosuke
kyonosuke Avatar
groupWandering-Nin

"Steadfast as winter,
they entered the fray"

The compliment fell on metaphorically deaf ears. Even if Kyonosuke could hear the words with clarity over the clashing of their swords, this was no time to be taken aback by the praises of a master. To the courier's misfortune and dismay, the killsword did not allow him even an inch--remaining fixed in his stance and not budging even despite the teen's best efforts to coax him away. Instead, there was a loud clash as their swords collided in a violent dance--and Kyonosuke's desperate attempt was quickly disarmed with the man's own deadly strikes. A deep cut appeared across the teen's chest and arm, slicing into the fabric of his kimono and dying it crimson. His sword fell to his side, and Kyonosuke lurched his head back to avoid having his throat slashed open, his breathing was labored and uneven. His eyes were wide as he stared on in horror as the killsword's weapon stopped mere centimeters away from their target.
    Somehow.
    The man's attention strayed for a moment back onto the shinobi--no, not shinobi. Whatever--whoever the other male was. And Kyonosuke dared to steal a glance at his savior, appreciative of his efforts. This won't be enough, he thought to himself. Ducking down and reaching once more to grab his sword before barreling away--seizing the opportunity that the stranger had created while the killsword struggled against the attempt of a self-inflicted murder.
    The following course of events seemed to happen within a blink of an eye. The slayer of men breaking free from the stranger's hold, and the stranger closing in the distance between them to take the brunt of the assault as the courier made another attempt at an escape.
    This is wrong, was the only thought in the teen's mind as he raced off. He just saved my life. Neither of us will make this out alive if we don't work together.
    But even with both of their strength--it would not be enough to match an opponent of this caliber.
    I need to use my head. He managed to make some distance--not much, but enough that he wasn't immediately within the range of a sword. And, sheathing his weapon, Kyonosuke drew his bow. hissing in pain as he knocked an arrow into place. I can't keep my arm still enough for aiming, so I'll have to aim with my good arm and muster up whatever strength I can to shoot with my injured one, he reasoned. "He's poisoned!" Kyonosuke shouted.
    Of course, the man wasn't poisoned--but it didn't matter if he believed he'd held his breath or not, the effects of the genjutsu would slowly begin to take place regardless.
    "You need only outlast him!" Shooting at the killsword--the arrow would undoubtedly miss or be deflected, but it would be another distraction to help aid the wanderer. If they could only survive for a few more minutes--the killsword would fall weak enough they would both have a chance to escape. By the time the genjutsu wore off entirely, hopefully, they would be out of harm's path.

- 509 - notes
MADE BY VEL OF GS