Thought of Image Adjustment

compose a reply
Thought of Image AdjustmentMar 27, 2020 11:33:51 GMT -5
Deleted
Nindo Goes Here: Edit Profile > Personal > Most Recent Status
Deleted Avatar
groupnull
age birthday rank occupation
On the indexes/approved medical techniques lists, I'm suggesting the English name [in brackets] be changed from "A Thought of Image" to just "Thought of Image" because the "a" standalone in brackets does not play well with Proboards BBCode. Having "A Thought..." instead of just "Thought" triggers the bracketed translation to disappear:

My proposed change ensures the brackets don't delete themselves:

This example was taken from my own app, so you can see it works just fine.

My thought with this is, it'll prevent potential problems with the code in someone's app who doesn't understand code or why it's deleting their bracket translations.

If I notice any other issues from this I can bring them up. Letters to avoid, though, are standalone B, I, U, S, and A. This applies only to the beginning of a bracketed translation (as in, the FIRST letter). Example: "A thought of image" will trigger the code but "Image of a thought" does not.
has written 0 posts
Thought of Image AdjustmentMar 27, 2020 14:04:30 GMT -5
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
groupnull
Sorry if it is bad form to add to a suggestion or piggyback, but in general the brackets are not the greatest thing and ideally a different format altogether would be good. I had the word strong in one of my jutsu, and proboards saw it as code because that is one of their inputs for bold. I spent like 30 minutes last night trying to figure out why on earth my text kept disappearing.

has written 0 posts
Thought of Image AdjustmentMar 27, 2020 14:11:05 GMT -5
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
groupnull
@hamaki
I agree that brackets are not the best format but they are well ingrained into the site at this point. They're on all the indexes, approved technique apps, in the weapon apps, summon apps, spread throughout character applications... We can't realistically remove them completely and instituting a new system--say, parentheses--would mean "finding and replacing" everything that's already been posted up, and that's a huge task for something that is better fixed at this point with little "spot fixes" if that makes sense. My suggestion is a spot-fix and a mindfulness in how future bracketed text is written.

As for "strong" you could opt to add a hyphen to your translation, like "strong-claw" and that hyphen will prevent PB from reading it as code. Hope that helps.
has written 0 posts

quick reply

compose a reply