Tiny Shadows [Shun | Lesson]

compose a reply
Tiny Shadows [Shun | Lesson]Jun 3, 2020 10:22:39 GMT -5
Nara Shun
Do what you want but understand why you're doing it.
Nara Shun Avatar
groupnull
age 12 years old birthday March 12th rank Academy Student occupation Student

NARA SHUN CHRONICLES
I - VIII

-  t h e  t a l e  o f  -

T I N Y  S H A D O W S

”Hm?” The girl perked up when he said she might create a jutsu. It hadn’t occurred to her that it was a common practice to invent jutsu. He made it sound like an everyday thing. As if people made jutsu in the spare time left in their lunch breaks…? Well, perhaps it wasn’t exactly what he meant but to Shun such a feat sounded really, really far away. For now, at least.

He winked and she didn’t expect the gesture so it caught her a bit off guard. It seemed like a thing one would do to a very familiar person and a part of her became shy. Blood rushed to her face and Shun felt herself blushing. She looked away for a bit and cleared her throat. It was best to focus on the exercise at hand. Her concentration had slipped already.

This time Shun would keep her attention on the shadow at hand and tried to mold her chakra in a way that would come across a fluent shadow manipulation. It was hard work and she was starting to feel more and more tired. A drop of swat formed on her temple and started slowly rolling down the side of her face. Her breaths were also getting more shallow and a bit shaky.

”Er.. uuhuh”
Shun would give out in response to the story of their laziness and tried her best not to be distracted. It was hard and her attention would hop back to his words and away from her thoughts more often than before. Perhaps, she was reaching her limit much quicker than she expected. It was no easy feat to keep exerting chakra constantly at her stage. The girl could feel her head heating up from the constant focusing. However, she did note what he spoke of in regards of the fireball.

”Ah, I see… So, we could, technically, prepare better sneak attacks with fire jutsu users after seeing their jutsu and predicting what happens to the shadows. For example, if I could somehow stretch a shadow behind them through some underground passage, I wouldn’t have to be able to reach them if they would stretch their shadows towards mine. And, the shadow from the hole would extend mine, too… So… wait, our jutsu would work very well with the earth style ninjutsu, right?”

It looked like she got a bit more energy back while talking about it. Shun’s interest was hooked and it shoved in the flow of her chakra – out of nowhere it became a bigger, steady flow again. However, she was still near her limit.

Shun listened to his further instructions and her shoulders dropped in defeat.
”Eh? So you’re basically saying "You’re tired so do it again”…” The girl mumbled under her breath as she could feel her spirit leave her body. The only thing missing was another theoretical question.

And there it was – a theory question.

”Iron sand? What’s special about iron in it?”
Shun asked while pooling chakra around herself and trying to stay straight in her posture. The girl would take a pause and shut her eyes to focus better. She didn’t need her sight at the moment and it was easier to concentrate on the images in her head. She exerted an impressive amount for an academy student and chakra would extend to all sides as a small pond. After that, she tried separating the outer sides and ripping them into smaller pieces… That didn’t work for her, really… So, instead, she retracted the image of the shadow and grew needles outwards like a hedgehog. They weren’t too skinny yet but enough to form a decent amount for her level. This association seemed to work a lot better this time.

”I’m… I’m not sure. It’s hard to imagine if I don’t know what the other person is like. I’d try to retreat in the forest so I’m not a sitting duck, I think… I could try destroying the platform with an exploding tag attached to a kunai to piss them off. If I’m lucky they’ll make mistakes in anger.”

Shun took a break to hold focus but her eyebrow was already twitching and she was starting to sweat more. It seemed that she was about to break any moment now.

”Umm… maybe, if they follow me under the tree line and aren’t so high up… I can throw another exploding tag but a fake one… and then a real one again. If I could move them to a favorable position with the fireball jutsu then, maybe… the exploding tag would take them by surprise and their shadows would get extended towards me… Were they to stay near the exploding tag, I would, probably , start the shadow imitation jutsu before it goes off… they would be the only surprised party and that could give me a shot at capturing them… If not, I would hope they can’t keep flying forever and try to survive…” The girl gave a shrug at the end. Not much else was coming to her mind at the moment.

Tag:
Shun: 496b36

odango has written 136 posts
Tiny Shadows [Shun | Lesson]Jun 6, 2020 9:21:45 GMT -5
Nara Satoshi
Nindo Goes Here: Edit Profile > Personal > Most Recent Status
Nara Satoshi Avatar
groupLeaf Shinobi
age 19 years old birthday June 27th rank Chuunin occupation Ops Team 2 Leader
This is so troublesome
But I guess I’ll do it.

Satoshi did try not to chuckles at Shun’s reddening face as he knew that would just further accent it and for the most part he managed to do that but had she managed to sneak a look at him she would have been able to see the amusement lining his face. He didn’t overdo it and quickly smoothed his face back to a cooler expression due to wanting her to remain focused.

His shadow dutifully kept mimicking the commands her chakra was giving but the nara was starting to notice lag in the output on top of the visual exhaustion the girl was starting to show already. This probably would be the last intensive exercise for this session. Though imparting knowledge and doing more theoretical focused training could take over for a bit before they did simpler exercise again in a short while till the end.

Nodding his head to show he approved of her reasoning Satoshi would add on.

"You are correct and that could certainly work. Of course you need to set up the passage way in an inconspicuous way as possible. As some sort of failed means of attack or something of that vein so the opponent wouldn’t expect it but yes not a bad strategy to employ. You are also right that there is good synergy with earth natured techniques in fact that was why the second element I learned was the earth one instead of say wind to augment my fire nature that I already knew how to use.”

It was good that Shun was grasping the concepts he was trying to explain so well, it was also reinforcing that she at least had a good head on her shoulders and could think through things. Well it was easy to do so with no danger involved and just thinking when noting at stake but things would clear up after she graduated.

This time though Satoshi did chuckle at the misfortune the academy student was displaying. Though there was the slight problem that he hadn’t taken into account that she might not know what exactly iron sand was. The chuunin was quick to rectify that thought by explaining it.

"Well iron sand is not actually sand with iron mixed in but grains of iron in such large quantities that it looks like sand. It’s a clan ability related to magnetism that allows the members form that clan to freely control metals or substances that can be magnetized.”

Even if without knowing this extra information that might have influenced her answer the younger nara had responded quite well. Things probably wouldn’t have gone exactly as she planned due the fact thing never went exactly as planned though she did realize she needed to take them off the platform which was a good deduction. Satoshi voiced as much.

"Not a bad strategy that was only hampered but just not knowing what exactly iron sand is but that was on me. Now of course iron sand itself is really sturdy and if he managed to surround himself with it the opponent would be able to weather the blow quite well. The plan could have also factored more how the floating iron balls would be moving and at just what speed.”

"The forest would have certainly helped to hamper them but they could have easily been able to interrupt you somewhat and make it harder to pull off what you intended. There is of course the human element of what if your opponent didn’t decide to enter the forest even if he was annoyed at you because of the explosion. That’s is also easily fixed by just having the opponent in front of you and analyzing them instead of only my words.”

Satoshi did close the distance between them until he was close enough to ruffle her hair. It was in a way to show that she had indeed done good but also to try and embarrasses her a bit because he thought it would be amusing to do so.

"You can drop the shadow manipulation for now and take a breather. Also again not a bad deduction you probably wouldn’t have done too bad against the opponent I had to face in the chuunin exams. I also planned and managed to get him off his platform at the time. Now since you are resting your body though then we’ll have to focus on the mental aspect a bit more then right?”

It was a rhetorical question of course more so to tease Shun than anything else, Satoshi was starting to get into that aspect of teaching someone, he could just feel it. That was also why he gave her a bit of time to process it before giving her another scenario.

"Now for this one we are getting a bit trickier and I’ll leave you with more freedom. You are facing against two opponents in a clearing and both of them are weapon users. You are all of equal speed and have reinforcements coming soon. You know the same jutsu as you did in the previous question and have the same equipment. What will you do in that situation, will you try to take them out before their reinforcements come, retreat to meet with your reinforcement or think of something different.”

This one was a bit more open ended because it was more focused on how exactly Shun would react in a sort of mission scenario that and he was enjoying himself coming up this sort of things at the moment. He wouldn’t prolong it too much though so as she wouldn’t get bored, in fact this was probably one of the last question of this sort he would probably ask.

SA:
Kagura Shingan [Kagura Mind's Eye]
After exploring his innate sensory abilities and thanks to his perfect chakra control Satoshi was able to unlock the Kagura Shingan. This ability allows him to find, sense, and track individuals through their chakra over vast range that exceeds ten kilometers. His able to achieve this effect by focusing and opening his mind's eye, though due to the low chakra cost Satoshi is able to keep it active passively at all times (Range is 15km) and increase the range even more with the use of the jutsu(25km). The ability also extends to telling when a person is lying from the fluctuations in a person's chakra made from dishonest emotions or detecting if someone, including him, is under a genjutsu. Also by focusing on a particular chakra, Satoshi can perceive its location and movement with great detail allowing him to track the movements of even those that are faster than him.

LazyNeko has written 245 posts
Tiny Shadows [Shun | Lesson]Jun 26, 2020 16:21:38 GMT -5
Nara Shun
Do what you want but understand why you're doing it.
Nara Shun Avatar
groupnull
age 12 years old birthday March 12th rank Academy Student occupation Student

NARA SHUN CHRONICLES
I - IX

-  t h e  t a l e  o f  -

T I N Y  S H A D O W S

”Ah!” Again, she could see the hair ruffle coming but couldn’t do much to stop it. The girl felt blood rush to her face again and she blew the messy strands out of her face afterwards with a look that portrayed slight annoyance and puffed her cheeks while she would try to straighten her hair with her hands afterwards. Shun was still blushing but she would learn from the older Nara and try to remain cool – even if she failed miserably.

When offered to drop the shadow, she had graciously accepted and dropped her hands to the side as all the chakra exertion ceased and her body relaxed. Having stood there for some time, Shun took the chance to plop on the ground and pull her knees up half way. She threw her head up a bit and leaned back, resting her upper body on her hands. Her onyx hues gazed over the clouds and she let out a deep sigh worthy of any Nara clan stereotype. The clouds looked really nice…

”Eh?” Her shoulders dropped at Satoshi’s words. More mental exercises?! Well… she quickly reasoned that it was a very good thing. She was gaining a lot out of their lesson. Her gaze travelled back to her mentor and the first thing she could think was that, from the ground, he looked as tall as a building.

”How tall are you? Ten feet? Satoshi, do you want to sit down as well? The clouds look pretty… I mean, if we’re taking a break anyway…” Shun started to question how comfortable she had just been so her confidence withered a little while she spoke and she offered a nervous smile afterwards.

”Hmm…” The next problem came and the academy student could feel her brows reach for each other as she pondered. The girl looked down and sat up on the ground. She would try to think about outcomes… There was only one logical solution that she could think of but that could fail easily. Of course, all of this was speculation so there were too many options. If one were to look closely, they could almost see Shun going through multiple scenarios as she kept quiet and thought.

In a few moment, she spoke up:
”I think that, if all of us are equal then I should flee. There is no way of knowing if I could outsmart two people. I’m assuming I wouldn’t be a weapon user – even if I was, two against one is a stretch if I know nothing about them. The best thing I can do is run towards my reinforcements. Shadow imitation isn’t that great if they’re in ranged combat. I’d be target practice and, without superior agility, the gamble would make no sense…” The girl took a pause to contemplate as she tapped her cheek thoughtfully with one of her index fingers.

”Hmmm, yeah, I’d run towards my reinforcements, if I know where they are coming from and know that the opposing reinforcements are coming from a different direction. Of course, there is also the question of my opponents letting me run. If they chase me, there could be a chance I could trap one of them… but I don’t have any clone jutsu… so that’s highly unlikely. Unless they’re not that bright or patient. The best way to make myself cover would be with an exploding tag, I guess – or the fireball jutsu. The question is – do I know where I’m going to meet up with the others? If, by chance, they retreat as well and I already know their abilities without revealing mine then it could be a lot better to face off them with their reinforcements with some information about them already.”

She looked up at Satoshi in search for a better answer: ”Is there a way to beat two equal shinobi at the same time in this scenario? I figured weapon users can be ranged and close combat if they want. Or do we fight regardless for honor even if the chances of survival are very, very limited?”

Tag:
Shun: 496b36

odango has written 136 posts