Tiny Shadows [Shun | Lesson]Apr 25, 2020 14:52:34 GMT -5
Nara Satoshi
Nindo Goes Here: Edit Profile > Personal > Most Recent Status
Nara Satoshi Avatar
groupLeaf Shinobi
age 19 years old birthday June 27th rank Chuunin occupation Ops Team 2 Leader
This is so troublesome
But I guess I’ll do it.

Walking towards one of the training grounds of the village Satoshi couldn’t help but think he had been doing a lot of teaching and general helping with training recently. He didn’t really mind it all that much, it was just that the nara found it a bit of weird turn of events in general.

Today it was sort of a favor for another member of his clan that he had done some missions with a few times. He wasn’t exactly close with Shikarui or anything but at least the older male was agreeable enough. That was why when the man had asked him out of the blue for a bit of help and seeing as he would be free Satoshi had agreed to help out.

It would be the first time Satoshi had to actually teach an Academy student so that promised to be a new experience to him for sure. Thankfully she wasn’t too young or far from the age group he’d had to deal with before so it was going to be at least less stressful in that regard.

A part of him did wonder and worry if he would do a good enough job with it but it was easily surpassed after all it wasn’t his first time having such a duty and a promise was a promise. That was why there was no room for doubt and he would just do the best he could. Finally reaching his destination the nara let out a pleased hum.

Looking around Satoshi finally moved to one of the trees to lean against and wait after all he had arrived quite before the arranged time they had agreed on. This particular training ground was also picked by him because he knew it was regularly used by academy students for exercises. As such it would be not only know but also easily reachable for the girl he would be training today.

Looking up at the sky Satoshi would settle in while keeping track of the signatures inside his sensing range in order to look for the one that would be eventually approaching him.

Once he noticed one he would turn his head and focus on the entrance of the training ground in order to see if the person coming would match the description he was given.

If it did he would rise a hand in greeting and call out.

"Yo.”

LazyNeko has written 245 posts
Tiny Shadows [Shun | Lesson]Apr 25, 2020 16:46:58 GMT -5
Nara Shun
Do what you want but understand why you're doing it.
Nara Shun Avatar
groupnull
age 12 years old birthday March 12th rank Academy Student occupation Student

NARA SHUN CHRONICLES
I - I

-  t h e  t a l e  o f  -

T I N Y  S H A D O W S

”Satoshi?” the young girl peered back at her mother after picking up a piece of watermelon she had just sliced. The setting was a room in Shun’s house with the panels open and currently the girl was dangling her bare feet over the edge of the outer porch. The grey eyed girl had just gotten back from the academy and had planned to laze around or read for the rest of the day.

”Yes, Satoshi-kun. He’ll teach you today while dad’s away on his mission”
the answer came from the next room. Her mother was in the kitchen and was more or less shouting through the house for Shun to hear. ”Did you forget? Honestly! You both have terrible memories for being so clever.” Ayame sighed and that could be felt through the entire house as well. Shun and Shikarui were never the most energetic when it came to showing initiative and Ayame was left with checking that they actually did what they were supposed to. The woman looked very similar to Shun just her eyes were a bright blue color and, of course, Ayame was more than two decades older. Characters of the two were rather different, however. While Shun became excited about learning new jutsu and dreaming of new places, her mother was constantly impulsive and often had a short fuse but she was incredibly strong-willed and proud. Shun’s parents were almost opposites – perhaps that’s why they lived together. The girl often tried to figure out why that worked.

”Anyways, hurry up, Shun! You’ll be late for the lesson! It starts in 30 minutes! It takes twenty five to get there.” Ayame hurried Shun from the kitchen knowing very well that her offspring might wait till the last minute to leave. This is exactly why Ayame had come to tell her times that were five minutes early. Both of them had figured out how this worked but they still did the same. That’s how powerful habits were.

”Hmmmm” Shun hummed while taking another bite of the slice of watermelon in her hands and soon spitting out some seeds in the backyard. Come to think of it, she did remember her father mentioning having a lesson with a different Nara clan member but Shun hadn’t met the man before. Thoughtfully, the girl took another bite… ”Watermelon is great, isn’t it?” she thought to herself.

”Shun! Go!” Her mother barked from behind her when she had finally emerged in the room. The eleven year old academy student could feel the glare at the back of her head and her whole body stiffened instantly.

”Ok, ok, I’m going.” Shun chimed yet moved slowly to put her leg up on the porch and get up on her feet. She knew it was best to pick up the pace or she’d get lovingly thrown out by the back of her shirt.

”Just one ‘ok’ is fine…” her mother crossed her arms over her chest assuming that she was getting some lip and to that Shun gave a nervous laugh and hopped up to kiss her mother on the cheek.

”Well then, I’m taking off!” Having put her shoes on the girl left the house. It didn’t take a long time to get to the busier streets of Konoha. Shun hardly noticed the journey anymore, it was so natural that she didn’t focus much on how much time passed but paid more attention on the unfinished slice of watermelon in her hands. It was only when she passed one of the clocks in the town that she got nervous and realized she had taken a more leisurely walk. According to her mother’s directions, the girl would be late if she didn’t start running right that moment so, after a quick discard of the melon rind into the nearest bin, the young teenager ran as quickly as she could. She was kind of tall for her age and had done a lot of stamina training so running was not an issue – she just wondered how fast she could go without using too much energy right before the lesson.

The girl made her way quickly and would arrive at the training field right on time after all. She ran into the territory without much thought and ran a good way till almost the middle. ”Right! Now I just have to find-"

"Yo.” came a greeting which made her quickly search out the source slightly on her left. That must have been the man! Certainly!

”Yo!” she smiled widely and waved with her arm reached up all the way while approaching.

Shun approached him while quickly slowing down to a jog and then came to a lukewarm walking pace. The raven haired girl was wearing a light moss green t-shirt that looked like the sleeves, collar and bottom had large hems and those were on the outside and white. The symbol of the Nara clan was printed on her left sleeve bicep. She also wore a pair of dark grey cargo pants and a dark pair of ninja boots. Her hair was waist-long and left down but the sides of her hair were braided into two braids that were connected together at the back of her head to keep them out of her face. That being said, a few strands of her hair were still dangling on the right side of her face but didn’t seem to bother the girl.

It took a moment but she was finally facing the bigger man from her clan. The girl was quite calm and smiley until a terrifying thought occurred to her. She had just greeted her teacher in a way too familiar. ”If mom finds out…” Shun could feel a shiver run down her spine and she swallowed loudly. The tension in her body was back and she figured out a way to fix the situation.

". . ."

”… Satoshi-sensei.” the girl added awkwardly while giving a slight, tense bow.

Tag:
Shun: 96d13d

last edit by Nara Shun on Apr 27, 2020 6:47:44 GMT -5
odango has written 136 posts
Tiny Shadows [Shun | Lesson]Apr 28, 2020 9:13:58 GMT -5
Nara Satoshi
Nara Satoshi Avatar
groupLeaf Shinobi
This is so troublesome
But I guess I’ll do it.

Looking at the girl that had arrived in the clearing Satoshi couldn’t help the small snort of amusement that built in his throat. Even from this brief observation he could tell that she was a nara alright. He could notice the tell-tale sign of some rushing to place in order to not be late due to being too leisurely beforehand right away. After all he had been the same once when he had been as young, something that felt so far back now yet it really wasn’t.

His lips did pull in a small smirk as Shun greeted him. Not usually used to being addressed with respect though he was quick to respond.

"Maaa no need for formality needed just Satoshi is fine, I’m not much for it outside of extreme cases.”

Quickly noting the appearance of the girl Satoshi could say as well that she was definitely Shikarui’s kid. He could spot enough resemblance to see the connection. Humming briefly, he did nonetheless ask the obvious question.

"So you are Shikarui’s kid huh. Shun right?”

Besides just asking for a favor the man hadn’t actually outlined or requested anything per se but he had mentioned somethings about his daughter and the things they had practiced. As such he had a vague outline of what they could do today.

"While there are a lot of things we could potentially cover and could help you for the Academy I have an idea on what we might do today. How close is my hunch that matters closer to our clan is the thing that you are more interested in right now?”

It was sort of a rhetorical question that he knew the answer to but he would allow Shun the chance to answer it before he continued talking.

"So if you want we can focus on that. I don’t doubt you’ve had some practice to get a feel for things but you can catch me up on what you’ve done until now and we’ll see about picking up on from there.”

SA:
Kagura Shingan [Kagura Mind's Eye]
After exploring his innate sensory abilities and thanks to his perfect chakra control Satoshi was able to unlock the Kagura Shingan. This ability allows him to find, sense, and track individuals through their chakra over vast range that exceeds ten kilometers. His able to achieve this effect by focusing and opening his mind's eye, though due to the low chakra cost Satoshi is able to keep it active passively at all times (Range is 15km) and increase the range even more with the use of the jutsu(25km). The ability also extends to telling when a person is lying from the fluctuations in a person's chakra made from dishonest emotions or detecting if someone, including him, is under a genjutsu. Also by focusing on a particular chakra, Satoshi can perceive its location and movement with great detail allowing him to track the movements of even those that are faster than him.

last edit by Nara Satoshi on Apr 28, 2020 9:15:24 GMT -5
Tiny Shadows [Shun | Lesson]Apr 30, 2020 9:42:27 GMT -5
Nara Shun
Nara Shun Avatar
groupnull

NARA SHUN CHRONICLES
I - II

T I N Y  S H A D O W S

”Oh, ok… Satoshi, then.” she nodded and got used to saying it. It was strange to call someone who was supposed to teach her in such an informal manner – especially since they just met – but Shun figured it’d get more comfortable the more she’d say it.

The young Nara took a little while to observe the boy in front of her. He seemed nice. There was something about him that reminded her of home but she didn’t know what exactly was the detail or if it was just the general vibe. So much was to be expected, though. They were from the same clan, after all. ”He seems like a nice guy… this boy.”

”Yes. My name’s Nara Shun. Daughter of Shikarui and Ayame.”
she confirmed what Satoshi knew already and slid her hands in her pockets. There was no reason why she couldn’t get more comfortable – what did people do with their hands usually, anyway? Pockets seemed like the most worthwhile solution. Then the fabric held part of their weight.

He spoke of working on clan techniques and, while Shun knew that’s what’s probably going to happen, her eyes did widen a bit in excitement and one could see a different glow in them. Eagerly, the girl nodded to what was coming out of Satoshi’s mouth. He was very correct in assuming that she would want to work on clan jutsu.

”Hmm, dad and I worked on shadow possession. However, it doesn’t work properly yet.” The raven haired girl began to explain but took a stop to look away from her tutor and sigh. Her shoulders slid back in a more relaxed manner and she scowled a bit before she continued. It seemed very evident that she was a bit disappointed in herself. ”I can’t maintain ninjutsu of that level yet. I’ve worked a lot on my stamina but, since I always trained such things half-heartedly, I need more time to gain enough reserves to sustain the shadow. Everything else works…” And she gave an even bigger sigh. Starting with admitting to something like that was not her favorite bit. The boy would probably find it funny. Well, actually, she found it kind of funny.

”I guess serves me right for slacking off, haha!” she spoke light-heartedly. It was a little ironic that she, who actually had a big potential of cultivating her chakra reserves, would have that as a fault due to being lazy.

”But things are different now, Satoshi! I’m not the child I used to be.” said the eleven year old, ”I am making decent progress. My stamina’s way better now and I train daily.” Shun knew that she was being a bit dramatic but this is what the girl saw as fun. It also meant she felt somewhat comfortable.

Tag:

Tiny Shadows [Shun | Lesson]Apr 30, 2020 10:54:49 GMT -5
Nara Satoshi
Nara Satoshi Avatar
groupLeaf Shinobi
This is so troublesome
But I guess I’ll do it.

Even if she was a bit uncomfortable to start with about it Satoshi was pleased to see her loosen up a bit about the situation. He had learned that unless the other person had a more complicated personality or quirk then the eased up approach usually proved as a nice touching ground especially when you were about to lecture or instruct them.

Satoshi’s eyes did light up in amusement as Shun clearly got excited after he mentioned exploring the clan hijutsu. Understandable really as he had been the same when it was time for him to learn about it. Ah it had been uncharacteristic for him back then but he had pestered his parents a lot about it.

The older nara nodded his head as he listened to her tale. It made perfect sense she had already did some work on it and the experience she had with was while not the same close enough for him to compare to his own process and a few others he had heard off.

Judging how much chakra she had Satoshi could deduce that yes she probably didn’t have the reserves to fully do the jutsu but part of problem was also probably wasting some of the said chakra that should have went to the jutsu. Of course they would have to test that in order for him to confirm that theory.

His knew not having enough of reserve to sustain the shadow and Satoshi had a bit less chakra then her at the age when he learned. He had turned to control and efficiency though when he had found his chakra reserves wanting. A bit of that method might work for her but not fully probably.

Some of his amusement did also o dry up at her words as he was reminded of his own past. Maybe she wasn’t fully realizing it as she lacked the field experience one gets after leaving the academy but Shun at the very least was realizing the need to be active and not do things halfheartedly way sooner than he had.

Rising a hand, the older nara would reach out to ruffle the girl’s hair and smile at her.

"Don’t be too hard on yourself. You seem like a smart cookie and it’s good that you’ve begin to understand that so early. Better now than later on when it’s too late. Take it with from me.”

Pausing to retract his hand Satoshi smile deformed a bit into a grin as he continued to speak.

"Besides the real challenge will be keeping that dedication up.”

Deciding he didn’t really want get stuck reminiscing about past memories and that the mood was currently pretty good Satoshi clapped his hands together.

"I’m sure you know them but first let’s go over the steps of the jutsu and give me a try to see how far along you are. As you do that tell me what you know of the techniques and how you think it be the most useful. After that I’ll show you a neat exercise that will help you get used to it.”

SA:
After exploring his innate sensory abilities and thanks to his perfect chakra control Satoshi was able to unlock the Kagura Shingan. This ability allows him to find, sense, and track individuals through their chakra over vast range that exceeds ten kilometers. His able to achieve this effect by focusing and opening his mind's eye, though due to the low chakra cost Satoshi is able to keep it active passively at all times (Range is 15km) and increase the range even more with the use of the jutsu(25km). The ability also extends to telling when a person is lying from the fluctuations in a person's chakra made from dishonest emotions or detecting if someone, including him, is under a genjutsu. Also by focusing on a particular chakra, Satoshi can perceive its location and movement with great detail allowing him to track the movements of even those that are faster than him.

Tiny Shadows [Shun | Lesson]Apr 30, 2020 11:41:15 GMT -5
Nara Shun
Nara Shun Avatar
groupnull

NARA SHUN CHRONICLES
I - III

T I N Y  S H A D O W S

His hand reached for her head and, while she knew what was probably about to happen, the girl still tensed up a bit. Everyone did when their hair was ruffled but she did look up with a grin. This guy was still a kid, too, in a way. It was then that Shun thought it would be cool to be friends with the person.

”M’kay”
she chimed in response.

After showing her that it was time to do something more productive than chatting by clapping his hands together, the older Nara asked to see the shadow possession technique. Shikarui had emphasized how the hidden jutsu shouldn’t be shown around too much so, for a second, Shun hesitated since they were in the academy’s territory but soon cast the doubt away and chose to trust her teacher.

”Ok, here I go.”
she gave under her breath, knowing that the jutsu wouldn’t last long but she, nonetheless, took a couple of steps back so that the boy could see her entirety better and took a stance with her feet as wide as her shoulders. She bent her knees a bit and put up her hands to form a rat hand sign.

”Dad says that it’s about visualizing the formation of the shadow and focusing chakra in it. Something not too thick but certain so that’s what I do. Kagemane no Jutsu.”
You could see the strain on her body get bigger but slowly, a dark form spread across her own shadow from the center outwards. It was a lot darker than her original shadow and then, slowly, it began stretching outwards of her shadow. A little every direction but soon the streak of black grew longer in front of her. ”Then it’s about reaching out with it. I don’t see it as stretching per se. Just reaching as far as I can.”

The shadow stretched forward a good ten or so meters but it stretched slower and slower as further as it got. There was a certain point that the darkness barely reached while flickering and one would notice Shun clutching her hand sign more. Suddenly, as if strung too high, the shadow retracted quickly and the jutsu dissipated.

”That’s as far as I can go with it. I don’t think it’s about pouring energy in it. It feels like I can’t control it fluently enough and I don’t know how to fix it…”
she spoke sincerely. ”Shadow possession is a technique used to immobilize the opponents, no? Isn’t it used for captures?”

Tag:

Tiny Shadows [Shun | Lesson]May 6, 2020 14:45:41 GMT -5
Nara Satoshi
Nara Satoshi Avatar
groupLeaf Shinobi
This is so troublesome
But I guess I’ll do it.

The advice that her father had given her aligned with the one Satoshi had received when he had been learning and kind of what the experience of using the jutsu was. That’s why with a nod of his head he said.

"He is correct on that.”

He would then pause to observe her attempt at the jutsu. Over all the result was as expected but just as he wanted to he got insight on exactly how she was doing it and got observe how the chakra was molded and the amount of that got wasted in the attempt.

Controlling it was indeed the hard part but the exercise he had mentioned to her should at the very least help her with that aspect somewhat. Was he unable to sense chakra to such a degree and was his control any lesser he would have had to think of something else but as it was he could attempt the thing he had in mind.

Doing the rat sign he allowed his own chakra to seep into his shadow making it come alive. It wasn’t exactly a jutsu per se but him stopping at the half step where the shadow would become malleable and controlled to the user before they finished whatever jutsu they were going for.

Slowly moving his own shadow would connect with hers and form a link of sorts but she wouldn’t be paralyzed or forced to mimic his own movements.

"Okay this is how we’ll do this. Make the rat sign and channel chakra towards our connected shadows and try to move the shadow in any direction.”

She wouldn’t be really moving the shadow itself in truth. Due to him being able to sense how exactly she was channeling the chakra his own would mimic it and try to execute the action she would attempt to do. After that he would suggest adjustments and have her try again until they got it to move somewhat or at least that would be the goal of the exercise.

In a sense it was trickery and just brain conditioning but it would give Shun the ability to try her hand at controlling a shadow even if she didn’t have the reserves and also a mental feeling on how to do it.

As she attempted to do that Satoshi would resume talking.

"It is mainly used for that and what our clan is most famous for. I am sure you are already somewhat aware of this too but there are many variations and continuations to the jutsu suitable for a variety of situations. In fact, a member of our clan has made quite a bit pure offensive derivations of the jutsu and there is also a whole taijutsu style with specialized techniques for it.”

If she was attempting the exercise he had suggest to her Satoshi would briefly pause to see if she was making progress and prepare to give pointers before continuing with his lecture.

"What is really important though for members of the clan is positioning. You always must have an awareness of the battlefield and where you opponents are in regards to you. Depending on sun or any other obstructions you might want to shift position until there is only minim distance between you and your target. After all the shorter the distance your shadow has to travel the better.”

After that he would finally stop talking for a short bit and give the girl time to voice any questions she could have before Satoshi moved on to the next thing he had in mind lecture wise. It hasn’t been his intention at the start to turn it into one but as he talked he was steadily getting more into it and now kind of wanted keep up the lesson.

SA:

Tiny Shadows [Shun | Lesson]May 12, 2020 8:26:27 GMT -5
Nara Shun
Nara Shun Avatar
groupnull

NARA SHUN CHRONICLES
I - IV

T I N Y  S H A D O W S

”Whoa!”

She was surprised to see Satoshi’s shadow quickly make way towards her until it connected to hers. She didn’t know what to expect, really. She took a second to move around a little. It wasn’t impacting her movement at all but it was still there. Shun even went as far to move a bit to one side and back, to the other side and back. She even hopped once or twice.

”Cool.” she let out under her breath. The shadow was really connected to hers – it was cool. It was like having a unique leash attached to her. A part of the girl wanted to see how far she could run before the shadow couldn’t reach anymore. She ran away from her parents as a kid to see if they would tire before she did – of course, it was in public places not a real attempt to escape. For some reason the idea brought back the memory.

Her eyes travelled back to Satoshi and she was the definition of attention. He was giving her a great opportunity to manipulate something she wouldn’t have to worry about maintaining as much. At least, that is how she understood it.

”So… he wants me to get accustomed to using it more freely. It’s like dad taught me theory before practice.” she thought before nodding and forming the rat sign again. The girl remained in spot and focused hard on bending the shadow to the left, then to the right. Then she would want to compress it as narrow as possible and then expand it as much as possible. The latter would make her focus a lot more because she imagined having to cover a huge, dense area – it was like trying to lift a boulder for her.

The raven haired girl did listen carefully to everything coming out of Satoshi’s mouth. The mention of taijutsu peaked her interest and with a tiny wavering of her chakra output, the girl relaxed more and her dark grey eyes found Satoshi away from the shadow on the ground. It was interesting. Her dad mentioned taijutsu as an art and told her she could pursue it but he had never showed her any. Perhaps he didn’t think she was ready yet or didn’t practice it himself.

”Shadow taijutsu? How would that work…?” she thought while listening to the young man.

Shun nodded and spoke up when there was a pause: ”Right. The environment is important. Favourable surroundings are necessary for jutsu to work better. However… we can’t really move much while we cast the jutsu? Because the shadow has to move, too, right?” The girl paused for a bit as she thought of how to phrase her next question.

”Ummm… I’ve heard that there is a taijutsu art compatible to our hidden tecniques but – how would that work? Would we just do a taijutsu move and then stop to use a hidden one? Or has someone found a way to fix our only movement flaw? Or, is it really possible to move while capturing targets with the jutsu but it just takes a lot of practice? Do you know how to use Nara taijutsu, Satoshi? What does it feel like? Does it take a lot of chakra?”

It seemed the girl had a lot of questions and was eager to learn more about it. She did, however, keep focusing on the shadow and was trying to stretch it backwards behind her and focus on how it felt to try and cover her blind spots with it. The opportunity Satoshi had given her was a really good one and she wasn’t going to mess it up.

Tag:

Tiny Shadows [Shun | Lesson]May 21, 2020 22:27:48 GMT -5
Nara Satoshi
Nara Satoshi Avatar
groupLeaf Shinobi
This is so troublesome
But I guess I’ll do it.

Amusement rolled inside of Satoshi at Shun’s wonder about the shadow that now connected them. It was to be expected but still amusing none the less to see. Some of that wonder would eventually wear off when she got the jutsu down and started using it in earnest alongside all of the other clan techniques but for now the older nara supposed he could let her have it.

Able to sense the input Shun was doing with her chakra Satoshi’s own was easily able to mimic the movements and have the shadow move. He would be able to sense some irregularities when she tried to make it narrow and expand. Thankfully she wasn’t really doing it so the shadow didn’t falter when it grew line thin or then expanded as much as it was able or at least as much as the younger nara thought it should.

"You are using a bit too much chakra when trying to narrow the shadow, try a few notches down of what you just used. For expanding don’t try to blanket the shadow with all of your chakra and then stretch it out like that. Imagine instead it’s like a leaf and the veins of it are your chakra. That way you’ll use less and be able to cover more.”

It was a general advice and while he could have thrown in a few more things for now though he didn’t and instead allowed the girl to ask her questions. He did notice and note that she had vested interest in taijutsu and while he was no master in it Satoshi knew a few things. That meant that it could be something to look into later on.

A slight grin worked on his face and Satoshi did a sort of agreeing shrug of his shoulders but kept quiet until he was sure she had asked all the questions Shun had for now before finally speaking up.

"Well for the first couple of questions your reasoning is sort of on point. It is kind of because it has to move but also because it takes a lot of concentration and ability to move it like that. With enough training you will eventually both have enough mastery over the techniques and multitasking ability to move when doing them.”

Pausing for a bit both take a breath and to mentally will the shadow to do what Shun was trying and stretch backwards Satoshi would then resume talking.

"I am no master of it but yes I do know how to use it and it doesn’t use a lot of chakra in fact it’s pretty efficient with it. For how it feels well I can’t really explain it properly until you know how the Shadow Imitation Technique feels because it’s like that but in small form. Before I get into it why don’t you try narrowing and expanding it again and also trying to do it while moving the shadow. You should also try splitting it into more than one as well. I’ll explain about the taijutsu while you do that and just general movements yeah?”

He was sure he would get an agreement but would nonetheless wait to see what Shun would do before launching into his lecture again. He was certainly talking a lot but hopefully his rambling was both interesting enough to listen to and informative as much as the practical part was.

"See Fighting Deer is actually just a style that if skilled enough you can use even without the techniques that make it so unique but it’s true power you could say does lay there. It’s not that you can move and use the jutsu that are created for it, no that is a given. It’s the fact that you do not need hand seals to utilize them where it shines. Now the two cornerstone jutsu of it are Shadow Touching and Shadow Reversing.”

"The first is a simpler version of the Shadow Imitation jutsu that trades off a lot of its range and it only hold the opponent for a few moments but in an intense fight that is usually enough. The other one forces the opponent to imitate what the user is doing but only in reverse. Both of those things you can probably imagine how useful would be.”

That’s where he would pause talking for now allowing Shun to process what he had just been droning on about and give her opportunity to pose questions related to that and also to just practice more in moving with the shadow. Depending on her interest he would probably expand more on what he just shared with her but not too much maybe as he had other ideas and more practical things he wanted to try.

SA:

Tiny Shadows [Shun | Lesson]May 24, 2020 5:41:03 GMT -5
Nara Shun
Nara Shun Avatar
groupnull

NARA SHUN CHRONICLES
I - V

T I N Y  S H A D O W S

The girl nodded at Satoshi’s suggestion and would try to expand the shadow again. This time she closed her eyes and tried to focus as much as possible. Shun would visualize the chakra forming a skeletal build and expanding around her like a net to uphold the shadow. She didn’t really see an end for it – the girl would just expand further and further, keeping her eyes shut and taking in the feeling. She didn’t know how far the shadow would stretch.

”Ok… like a leaf.” The dark haired student thought and her lips tensed up a little and a scowl set in her brows as she tried to move the shadow. It was strange how a single association could change the perspective of an entire thing. Shun had never thought about her chakra being more like the skeleton. She always assumed she would have to cover the entire area with enough chakra to back it up – as if trying to spread a thick layer of butter.

She could feel a drop of sweat form at the side of her temple as she worked on visualizing a strand of shadow that would try to split off from the main shadow tying the two Nara’s together. It was hard.

”Mmmmm…” It looked like she was struggling a bit. Her body tensed up and she sank deeper in her pose.

The girl would retract most of her chakra output and start anew. She’d focus on a larger strand of the shadow and imagine her own chakra traveling through as a pair of strands that she’d try to separate within the shadow. She’d then try to wiggle them. Just wiggle – like a snake. It was awkward to try it at first. The movements were very tense and locked. It’d be more like constantly breaking the shadow than moving it fluently.

”Man… This is hard.” Shun opened her eyes and gave a light smile but she could feel herself getting a little tired. The girl had a lot of chakra for her age but control was never really her strong suit. It was almost as if the moment she couldn’t control it that well because she had enough chakra to compensate. These were the times where it would bit her in the behind. The clan hijutsu was mostly about control. However, Shun wouldn’t be defeated.

Her eyes shone with determination and she could feel getting a new wave of energy. The girl would go on. Just like her mother, she would be too stubborn to give up that easy.

”Shadow touching and reversing?... So the taijutsu would rely on delying and confusing opponents and giving the user more time to strike? Would this mean…” she needed to take more pauses to keep focus.

”… would this mean that… - would this mean that the taijutsu attacks are easily avoided otherwise? Powerful, probably?”
That last bit was a mouthful and Shun was just guessing but it would make sense to her. She had read a lot about jutsu and was thinking there might be some reason for relying on messing with the opposing body – to hold them still, perhaps. Not that holding people still wasn’t already the main objective of Nara jutsu…

”I can keep going. I can keep going… just focus on moving the shadow.” she thought while her brow twitched lightly and she tried to mimic her chakra movements to make the shadow move from side to side and bend. The movement was still tense in her chakra but it was starting to get some rhythm.

Tag:
Shun: 496b36

Tiny Shadows [Shun | Lesson]May 24, 2020 10:08:10 GMT -5
Nara Satoshi
Nara Satoshi Avatar
groupLeaf Shinobi
This is so troublesome
But I guess I’ll do it.

A hum of approval escaped Satoshi’s throat at the attempts of the younger nara to do what he had instructed. She was doing pretty decent so far and part of it probably was that Shun was already trying to learn how to use the technique and whatever practices her father had done with her but it was great progress nonetheless.

Of course there was wastefulness of chakra but she would get there eventually and well there was to consider that with her reserves she wouldn’t exactly have the ironclad control he had achieved so it would probably best to judge her level of chakra control based on what people with large reserves could achieve.

It seemed the splitting them up part was giving the academy student some trouble though and honestly it did make Satoshi’s eyebrows crease minusculely as his own chakra tried to mimic what she was doing. Mostly so it could visibly reflect what she was trying to achieve and not him bridging in the gaps and making it appear smooth. Satoshi did briefly decide to pipe in with some advice.

"Eventually you’ll know how to do it instinctively but for now if it’s giving you trouble spitting it up you can try another visualization method and see if it makes it a bit easier to do so. Like routes branching off or cutting something with scissors, something along those lines.”

A dry chuckle would escape him and the older nara would briefly pause to rub at his neck before continuing.

"Sorry if all these analogies are weird. It has been a while since my own training so it’s hard to put into words what exactly made things click for me for this beginning steps back then. Practicing though would definitely help and you are also doing really great so shouldn’t take too long to get it down eventually.”

While he did end on some encouraging words they were not exactly the most inspirational but Satoshi decided that with how determined Shun was he didn’t need to go too hard on that angle for now. What he was doing was vague but coupled with the interest and need for learning the clan hijutsu the academy student displayed it should be enough.

"I wouldn’t say it’s that easily avoided more so due to just how close quarters it is. The Issue usually is that well it’s more easily blocked or interrupted by grapples due to the close distance. That’s why in a way you were also correct that it’s powerful but the proper word I’d used to express it is explosive. It’s a burst of power and speed to land a blow in the few moments after you’ve used one of those two techniques.”

Okay so maybe he did end up going more into it then intended but he was getting sucked into talking and just explaining things. It had been a while he had done so in a calm environment and as such a part of him was having fun and finding it somewhat relaxing. It also made him want to delve back into tinkering with techniques and just general practicing with them more instead of just running missions as much as he could.

His attention did turn back towards Shun though and with a slight smirk he would say.

"I don’t know why but I’m getting the feeling you are pretty interested in taijutsu. It won’t really mesh too well with what we are doing today and you might be too tired after we are done to directly flow into it but if you want to we can go about meeting again in the next few days in order for me to show you some of that style and get you started on that as well if you find it suiting to you."

"Now back to the training again try to split up the shadow but instead of two trying going for multiple. Since it can be intensive the first time if you split into too many try to go for a maximum of say reaching six to eight individual tendrils. It can be used to capture multiple opponents after all and it would be good to see what your starting limit will be.”

She was using up a fair amount of chakra so there was a sort of time limit on what they could try to do while it was actually believable so Satoshi would push the somewhat more demanding things to the forefront for now. After those there were small exercise that wouldn’t be that demanding and just be getting the general hang of small movements.

SA:

Tiny Shadows [Shun | Lesson]May 24, 2020 11:46:16 GMT -5
Nara Shun
Nara Shun Avatar
groupnull

NARA SHUN CHRONICLES
I - VI

T I N Y  S H A D O W S

”Oooooooooooooh…” The girl straightened up more and let out in relief as soon as he mentioned scissors. It was a lot easier to think that way. Why hadn’t she thought of it? A part of her wanted to tap her own forehead and let out a "duh” sound.

However, the girl kept the seal up and would work on just that. It was a lot easier for her to concentrate while imagining cutting up something or growing a shadow out of something. It also appeared to take less chakra. Before she had felt like separating shadows would feel like preparing twice as much chakra and then ripping it apart but thinking of it as just cutting a strand or dividing one was a lot easier – even if it was a bit clumsy.

”Weird? Don’t be silly, Satoshi! It really helps me a lot and I think it’s super awesome that you can give associations that make imagining the process easy with just one word. It’s really cool, you know… dad can do a similar thing at times.” she trailed off in thought a little. Maybe one day she’d be just as great at helping people understand things. The girl gave a warm smile. It also made her understand that real shinobi were even greater than she had previously assumed.

The grey eyed Nara went back to focusing on the shadow. She’d stretch her chakra to the side and would then cut into it in a crooked way to create a separate strand that’d peel off. She’d then try to move the strand away continuing the rip down the shadow. Of course, she couldn’t really do it – it was what she imagined like doing. Shun also listened carefully to his words. This lesson did prove to be a good way to keep her multitasking in check. It wasn’t every day that she had to manipulate a shadow while taking in a lecture. It was quite exciting to manage both. While lazy, the girl did like to challenge herself – a quality most definitely not received from her father.

The older Nara offered to work with her again and her eyes widened a bit in surprise. She blinked a couple times as she looked back at the young man.

”Eh? You’d do that?” Her lips grew into a wide smile and her eyes gleamed with anticipation and the girl hopped up out of happiness. ”Yay! Lucky!” It was going to be great!

The girl did compose herself and try to act cool all of a sudden – that was what older shinobi did after all. They acted cool.

”Yeah, that’s be cool.” The girl was genuinely happy that he wanted to help her more and this only worked as a drive to keep her focused more on the next task at hand. Satoshi explained that she should try to divide up the shadows into as many as she could.

”So, like an octopus?” Shun asked while looking up and to the side to think about it. She imagined a big shadow octopus and wondered why it was only now that she thought about it. The day was full of new ideas that should have been old ideas.

The girl would exert chakra and try to separate it. She made a little pool around her and split it as detailed as her skill and bulky chakra would allow. This resulted in seven strains that she would then stretch every possible direction. It was never an issue of gathering chakra anymore but she couldn’t yet divide it further. She would have two strands at both sides, one in front of her and two behind trying to stretch outwards. With the way she distributed her chakra, they wouldn’t move fluently, just extend straight out.

”Well, almost an octopus, haha.”

Tag:

Tiny Shadows [Shun | Lesson]May 29, 2020 12:50:41 GMT -5
Nara Satoshi
Nara Satoshi Avatar
groupLeaf Shinobi
This is so troublesome
But I guess I’ll do it.

Well it was good to hear that what he was saying wasn’t total nonsense and was in fact helpful though Satoshi was sure that there was much more to refine in his chosen method and just teaching in general. He could confidently say that with how much he was recently interacting with the younger generation and handling both leading and teaching that he had a new appreciation for genin team leaders and academy instructors.

Satoshi couldn’t imagine what must be like to deal with a large group of kids on a day to day basis and also maintain a good teaching environment. While he would never dedicate fully to teaching as it wasn’t really his calling he might look into improving and maybe even taking a few students down the line but for now he would focus on today and the girl he was instructing.

Despite his inner musing his chakra was still dutifully mimicking that of the younger nara and making the shadow move as close to the commands as it could. It was an interesting exercise in control and mastery for Satoshi as well and honestly he could see slightly gaps in his technique that while there was no way for Shun to spot right now he would have work to fix in the coming days instead of just compensating with the raw control he had.

His expression though was unchanged and was still sprouting the slight grin it had even if it was still a small one, after all it wouldn’t exactly fit his image if he was too upbeat now would it. He did nod his head in general agreement once Shun accepted further meetings and training. That did mean actually figuring out and planning the sessions out but that could always wait till after this one or any of the downtime he had before he met with Shun again.

That did also probably mean meeting with her father again but he was sure the man wouldn’t mind too much for stealing away teaching time, honestly he might even be amused by it. At the question if he would really do that Satoshi only hummed an affirmative before adding a short "Yes”

Her attempt at doing multiple strands was actually decent enough gauge for him but he did throw in a slight encouragement.

"It is still pretty good and also better when compared to my first attempts. I managed only five at the time and well the image association was born around that time as I wracked my brain for ways to do as many as I could get away with and with as little waste as possible. I had to do a lot of mental gymnastics back then and have a lot of late nights that my lazy ass at the time was not happy about.”

While the chuckle that escaped him after saying that was amused there was a slight undertone of dryness to it. It was tempting to circle back to thinking about the past and lament not getting into gear sooner but he had already decided not and the really small expression of dryness would be all he do.

"Alright we know what your limit is for now so how about we experiment with doing it faster or while the shadow is moving and not centered on you. Combine the two methods together and while stretching it split in seven with each going a different way as well. Try widening or narrowing each shadow strands as you do that.”

Satoshi would pause for a moment to check if Shun was following along so far before also adding in.

"As I already said multitasking is important so while you are doing that I’m going to distract you with some questions about the use of the clan jutsu. Let’s say you are facing a ninjutsu user and they launch a fireball at you and you have the time to both dodge and are almost done with the hand seals for the Shadow Imitation jutsu. What will you do in that situation? Will use the jutsu first or after moving away and how exactly would you go about dodging the fireball.”

SA:

Tiny Shadows [Shun | Lesson]May 30, 2020 17:29:15 GMT -5
Nara Shun
Nara Shun Avatar
groupnull

NARA SHUN CHRONICLES
I - VII

T I N Y  S H A D O W S

It was a good day! The weather was still good – not too hot and not too windy. Even though the girl had almost been late for the lesson, she was learning a lot and now it looked like she could soak up more knowledge from Satoshi in the near future. He seemed like a taller, cooler, male version of what she’d become one day and it was easy to want to look up to him.

”I was hoping for eight… like an octopus. Is there a shadow octopus jutsu? I feel like there should be one.” She declared while observing the shadow Satoshi was masterfully mimicking. ”And Mom says that all Nara born are a little lazy… maybe she’s right, haha. ” The grey eyed girl chuckled at the memory of her mom complaining.

Satoshi would soon ask Shun to move the shadow and then split it, and – on top of that – make each individual strain different and her shoulders dropped for a second as her posture slumped. She struggled with those things individually. Just thinking about it gave her a little headache and she hung her head for a second.

”H-how am I…” Shun began to mutter under her breath but soon straightened up and clang to the rat sign she was holding. The raven haired student shook her head and opened her eyes in an attempt to pull it together. ”Ok, I’ll try.” She declared and her eyes showed determination yet again. The young teen would try her best but took a moment to start. She was resting. While blessed with potential for big chakra reserves, never had she output chakra for so long and it was a new experience.

The girl focused hard on pushing a stream of her chakra forward, thin at first, then growing into a tiny shadow pond further away between the two and getting split by seven tears from all sides. The strain connected to her wouldn’t move but the other six would start move. Some of them shrinking, some growing out, some widening and narrowing. Basically, in her chakra output it looked like they were pulsating. Unbeknownst to her, Shun lost a bit of track of how much she was exerting since there was so much to think about so some chakra pooled underneath her and started forming a half-baked shadow manipulation jutsu right beneath her – within Satoshi’s shadow. Shun’s previous one had broken before so it was new. It, sort of "leaked out” and she was yet to notice. The shadow, unseen by the naked eye, wiggled and morphed underneath her hidden by Satoshi’s.

”W-what? Hold on a minute.” Shun panicked a little when he started distracting her. It was like standing before a huge wall packed with porcelain during an earthquake and trying to catch all of them.

”Erm… depends. In my current state, I can’t use shadow possession so I’d have to run. If I could use it and didn’t want to get burned, I’d still run. If my shadow was quicker…” Shun took a pause after almost letting go of visualizing the twisting strains of shadow that she would try to spin now. Just rotate the entire thing. While doing that, she needed a bit to return to the question: ”…that is… right.” The girl slowly managed to focus on both somewhat but it took a lot of managing.

”If my shadow was quicker than the fire ball and the fireball was far enough for me to connect to the caster then I’d do the jutsu first. Too bad flames don’t have shadows… the reasonable option is to dodge it, no?” The girl said the last words slowly while trying hard to focus on the simulation.

Tag:

last edit by Nara Shun on May 30, 2020 17:29:37 GMT -5
Tiny Shadows [Shun | Lesson]Jun 1, 2020 21:16:09 GMT -5
Nara Satoshi
Nara Satoshi Avatar
groupLeaf Shinobi
This is so troublesome
But I guess I’ll do it.

"Well I don’t think there is a shadow octopus jutsu as far as I know. So who knows maybe you’ll be the one to make it instead after you start experimenting with technique creation.”

As he said that Satoshi would wink amusedly at her. It was just part jest but also carrying some semblance of truth. After all it was fully possible that Shun could end up making it or whatever she desired down the line. Sure there were sort of rules to follow but in most cases a person’s imagination was the limit when it came to creating techniques.

Seeing as she was concentrating the older nara decided to throw in a bit more distractions by also actually responding to the latter part of her statement.

"I do want to say it’s true that all are a little lazy but you know I have actually met a crazy clansman that probably didn’t have a lazy bone in his body. Every morning at four he would rise and go running as a warm up before training. I have no idea how he kept up but without fail even if he had just return barely an hour before he would still get up and go running.”

There would be a really low mutter of "Crazy bastard that one was.” before returning some of his attention on commanding his shadow. It seemed the complexity of his demands was starting to kick in to some degree for her as more slips in output from her chakra were becoming visible to his sense. Interestingly enough he noticed some did flow into her own shadow, probably subconsciously and it was sort of bleeding in.

That did make Satoshi wonder if this was something common that happened when kids from the clan were practicing or learning how to use the jutsu. From what he knew about the technique what was happening was the beginning stages when chakra first began to enter the shadow. In a way this was a problem with the type of training she was currently doing but since the older nara hadn’t used it before it was a learning experience for him as well.

He could call it to attention but it wasn’t actually visible per se and in a way it actually suited Satoshi more to not mention it right now. A faster drain of her chakra could be helpful in the current situation so he would probably share this with her after they were done for the day.

Instead he would enjoy the moment of amusement as Shun tried to keep up with everything he was throwing at her. Actually asking theory questions on top of everything else was a good call as it was both further multitask training but also a bit funny to see. Satoshi was also seeing another aspect of being a teacher and that was amusing yourself on the distress of your students.

On to the point though overall her reasoning wasn’t bad and the answer was workable. There were some things missing and her not having any field experience showed a bit but that was to be expected. Still he made sure to nod his head in agreement as she spoke before finally answering as she posed a question.

"Well actually some fire nature jutsu do cast a shadow but in most cases it’s really unreliable and not readily usable. Intensity of the flames also plays part if there would actually be one but back to the question itself you are correct to assume it’s better to dodge it in most cases. If you are sure your shadow will connect it is still better to move out of the way of the fireball first you know why?”

The pause was strategically placed in order to catch her attention and also for Satoshi to take a short breath before launching further into lecture mode.

"You see even if your shadow moves to connect first you have to factor in the light the fireball itself is making since it would actually push the shadow of your opponent to stretched further back. That would mean that your shadow might need to move as close as a few inches or less from an opponent’s feet and that is a precious time in which they might have moved further away or reacted in some way that make the connection impossible.”

"That’s why it might be better to dodge away first. Expanding on that it’s because you can take in consideration the light that emits from the fireball. If you don’t move away too far and position yourself well enough so it’s behind your back, you will suddenly find your shadow stretching to the front due to the light of the flames. Suddenly you are at the same time both evading the attack and the distance between your shadow and that of the opponent is shorter, allowing you greater wiggle room for a brief moment.”

Idly the chuunin noted that it had been quite a while since he had to talk this much though hopefully the information he was trying to relay was clear enough for Shun to follow and hopefully get her own gears spinning as she considered and processed what he was sharing with her. Still there was a bit more left to be said so Satoshi continued.

"Of course that is mostly relevant for this situation I suggested and while you should consider it don’t take it as the all be thing that should be done in all cases. It should help you at least get thinking more on how to apply different light sources though and why they could be important for you when in a fight."

"Now as for training I see you’re having some issues with keeping up so for the next part I want you to pull back the shadow together and pool it around as it was at the start. From there you are going to try the splitting part again but this time every strand should be as narrow as a senbon also not just seven but as many as you could like many lines of ants.”

Before she could try it though Satoshi would quickly add in.

"I'm also going to throw in another theoretical scenario for you to mull over and answer as you do that thought. You are facing an opponent that can control iron sand and they are flying above on a platform made out of the iron sand in a clearing while you are standing at the edge of it with a forest behind you. They can freely attack you with orbs that they control."

"You know the Shadow Imitation Technique, the Shadow Neck Bind Technique, a fireball jutsu and possess kunai, a few exploding notes and shuriken. What will you do, will you try somehow to force them out of the platform they made, lure them into the forest or something else? Let’s see what you can think of.”

With that his long-winded lecture over for now Satoshi would focus his attention back to Shun to see if she had managed to follow along and also prepare himself to control the shadow for when she tried to do what he had asked of her.

SA: