fins and feet | tota [training]

compose a reply
fins and feet | tota [training]Apr 8, 2022 7:20:47 GMT -5
taneda risa
better late than never!
taneda risa Avatar
groupMist Shinobi
age 13 years old birthday june 20, -3sd rank academy student occupation baby shark

THE SECRET IS NOT TO DREAM

Advanced taijutsu! Risa had been looking forward to this for a long time—in her second year they only got to spar a little bit, for the most part her instructors had just lectured the class on anatomy all day long. When they did get to spar it wasn’t really fun. But now they didn’t have to hold back any more, and getting as strong as possible was of utmost importance!

Class let out for the day, but Risa hung back, fussing with nothing at her desk for a minute until most of the other kids had filed out. Then she slipped up next to Tota’s desk, twisting her fingers.

Tota was a little younger than her, same as Dansui, but he was a nice boy and Risa liked him a lot; they were already friends, maybe, hopefully, but she hoped that they could be real friends if they just spent a little more time together. Tota usually spent all his time with Dansui and Hatohara, all three of them glued at the hip, but Tota sat alone as his desk today. This was her shot—training was the key that unlocked the doors of friendship.

At least, that’s what her dad had said. All his best friends were people he trained with all the time.

"Hey, Tota!” she said as she went up to his desk. "D’you, um—d’you wanna practice with me for a bit? I don’t feel like I’m very good at taijutsu yet, I want to try to get the hang of it.”

LAIKA OF THQ

last edit by taneda risa on Apr 8, 2022 7:20:56 GMT -5
tactician has written 83 posts
fins and feet | tota [training]Apr 8, 2022 8:45:14 GMT -5
Tota
Kirigakure's #1 Student
Tota Avatar
groupMist Shinobi
age Ten years old birthday 12/08/-1 rank Academy Student occupation

LITTLE TOTA

Tota lent back is chair, slowly swing it back and forth as he waited for the bell to ring. He felt impatient - eager to do some training by himself after class. The boy watched as the clock ticked by, seemingly slowing with each second it grew closer to one-thirty. A long sigh broke from his lips when the second hand finally reached the moment he'd been waiting for. As the buzzing sound of the bell rang out across the academy, Tota quickly bounced forward to straighten his chair. Cleaning the mess off his desk and packing all the items into his backpack took much longer than he anticipated.

Once he had finished his task, Tota heard someone approach him. He looked up to see the classroom all but empty and a dark tanned girl staring at him. It was Taneda, Risa; of all people. Tota rolled his eyes. Risa was always trying to hang out and wedge herself between Dansui, Hatohara and himself. It wasn't bad, Tota just thought she was a bit of a dork. Still he considered her a close friend, even with the age difference.

"Hey Risa. Umm.." He said. Tota had intended to continue his taijutsu training by himself, but after the incident last time thought it might actually be best to have the girl come along. "I guess so. Just don't bite me!" He added, with a subtle giggle.

He knew the girl wasn't as adept as himself in hand-to-hand combat, but surely they could teach each other; a thing or two. "Are you ready now?" Tota asked as he slung his backpack over his shoulder and stood up.

NOTES:
N/A

WORDCOUNT:
Zazu has written 141 posts
fins and feet | tota [training]Apr 9, 2022 2:33:02 GMT -5
taneda risa
better late than never!
taneda risa Avatar
groupMist Shinobi
age 13 years old birthday june 20, -3sd rank academy student occupation baby shark

Just don’t bite me! Risa lit up, all her uncertain body language melting away as if it had never been there at all. He had rolled his eyes a bit, which threatened to take all the wind out of her sails, but since he agreed anyway she figured it was no big deal.

"No promises!” she said brightly, gnashing her tragically flat and unimpressive teeth together like an ineffective shark surging towards its prey.

Some members of her clan were able to transform into big scary fish monsters, or make different parts of their bodies more like the aquatic animals they were imbued with at birth. Someday, Risa thought dreamily, she would be able to have real tiger shark teeth, and everyone who opposed her would despair.

"Ready now!” she confirmed, and she darted back over to her desk to grab her bag before leading the way towards the training grounds.

"I want to practice kicks,” she said thoughtfully as they reached the training area. She tossed her bag carelessly to the ground, stretching her arms out in front of her to limber up. "And stuff in general, I guess? Like, I can do all the kicks and punches and things when I’m just practicing, but as soon as I start actually fighting someone I feel like I’m doing it all wrong. Does that make sense?”

LAIKA OF THQ

fins and feet | tota [training]Apr 9, 2022 3:59:38 GMT -5
Tota
Kirigakure's #1 Student
Tota Avatar
groupMist Shinobi

LITTLE TOTA

He hadn't expected Risa to jokingly move toward him with clattering teeth. His eyes immediately widened in response as he tried to quickly retreat backward. Terrified, the boy almost tripped over his chair in the process. "Not funny!" Tota exclaimed as he looked to the side and let out a short, almost visible breath. He was trying to play it off cool once he'd regained his footing, rubbing the back of his head. "Gez, she's so scary" the boy thought.

After that little event, Tota watched the girl run off to grab her things from their desk. He took a moment to wonder what he had gotten himself into; if his decision to let her train with him was actually a good idea. As the two were ready and begun to walk through the academy, Tota lagged behind to see if he could notice Dansui or Hatohara around. No luck though.

When they reached the training yard outside and placed their backpacks down, Tota swung his arms across his body; stretching them. He carefully listened to Risa as he continued his usual warm up routine. "Kicks? I'm not at that best either. I prefer using my fists!" He said in reply, cranking his elbow in his signature move. "But I'm sure we could try it. Umm. I guess, I understand. You're just thinking about it too much!" The boy said energetically. "So did you want to practice on the dummies or spar?" He added.

NOTES:
N/A

WORDCOUNT:
fins and feet | tota [training]Apr 9, 2022 4:36:17 GMT -5
taneda risa
better late than never!
taneda risa Avatar
groupMist Shinobi

Tota was dragging his feet, Risa noticed. That same uncertainty welled up in her belly again, twisting into knots as she thought about how slow Tota was being and how hard he had jerked back when she gnashed her teeth at him. She was just playing around—but maybe she actually scared him? Her teeth weren’t even scary, not like some of the other Ama people!

But… he seemed to be moving past it, so maybe it was fine? She didn’t really know.

"I do okay when I practice on dummies,” she said uncertainly. "So… I think I want to spar?” She didn’t want to hurt him, though. He was better at taijutsu than her by a mile, but he was also smaller than her by some twenty centimeters at least, and lighter than her too! "Is that okay? I don’t want to hurt you!” Arguably that was kind of the point of the exercise, but still.

She assumed a fighting stance anyway, placing her left foot in front of her right and keeping her stance at a good comfortable shoulder-width, just like the sensei had taught her. She balled up her fists—thumb on the outside!—and held them up close to her face, protecting her head as she peered at Tota with a careful, observant blue gaze. If he was okay with sparring, then she’d be ready to go; and if he wasn’t, well, she was still ready to attack the training dummy!

LAIKA OF THQ

fins and feet | tota [training]Apr 10, 2022 0:54:18 GMT -5
Tota
Kirigakure's #1 Student
Tota Avatar
groupMist Shinobi

LITTLE TOTA

Tota was only being potite when he asked if she wanted to spar. He really didn't want to beat up a girl, even if she was older and they were both training to be a shinobi. "I'll have to go easy on her" he thought to himself after she made her preference known. He shook his head up and down, ignoring the tiny voice in his head telling him it was a bad idea.

He listened to Risa as she spoke. Her voice didn't portray a confident girl, yet she was confident enough she could hurt him. "Don't worry! I'm training to be medic, you know. A few scratches and bruises are nothing!" Tota exclaimed, trying to comfort Risa's animosity toward hurting him. "It's okay. Give it your all" he added.

He quickly readied himself, standing in the basic stance he was taught at the Academy. When Risa took hers and looked ready enough, Tota threw himself toward her. Three steps later, he was in range enough to throw his first punch. He aimed low enough for Risa to practice her kicks, but high enough his body wouldn't be completely open as it rolled forward with the follow through. If Risa attempted to kick his arm, Tota would try to brace it with his other, stopping the force of the kick in its tracks.

NOTES:
N/A

WORDCOUNT:
fins and feet | tota [training]Apr 10, 2022 1:54:28 GMT -5
taneda risa
better late than never!
taneda risa Avatar
groupMist Shinobi

Well, when he put it that way—training to be a medic—it was hard to argue! Risa imagined that it would be pretty hard to practice fixing up bumps and bruises without actually getting any bumps and bruises. All of that medical stuff was way beyond her, but if knocking each other around a little would also help Tota learn how to do that better too, then she could take a few hits, and give a few hits in return!

"Okay!” she said brightly, pumping one of her fists. But Tota came at her fast! An involuntary eep escaped her mouth when he rushed her, but she didn’t try to dodge back, just locked down harder in place with her hands up in front of her face. He was aiming a punch towards her torso, his body low. She scrunched up tighter, hunching in on herself to protect her body from his strike; his fist would meet her forearms instead of the soft meat of her belly. She still let out a soft oof when the punch connected.

She should… try to counter-attack, right? She was still hesitant, and it showed in how she twisted her body, aiming a sharp, snapping roundhouse kick at Tota’s side without giving the motion any follow-through. By all visual standards it was a clean kick, well-performed, but it wouldn’t hurt very much if she did hit him.

LAIKA OF THQ

fins and feet | tota [training]Apr 10, 2022 2:35:44 GMT -5
Tota
Kirigakure's #1 Student
Tota Avatar
groupMist Shinobi

LITTLE TOTA

The balled fist Tota extended out toward Risa was successfully blocked, as she intercepted it with her arm. Tota was glad she did, he was still hesitant to seriously hurt her. Tota mentally analysed her form, something he did with all his opponents. To him, she didn't seem to be as loose in her stance as she should have been, however it had gotten the job done.

He quickly pulled his arm back after it had been halted, preparing himself to strike again. Then Tota was surprised when all of a sudden Risa decided to counter attack with a roundhouse kick to his ribs. To Tota's untrained eye, it seemed superb in technical skill; yet familiar. It was the same kick he was taught and had already trained a hundred times. He couldn't help but react to it, swinging a foot backward and moving his body just in time to let it skirt passed his stomach.

Watching as Risa's leg sailed across the air, Tota quickly bent his knee and lifted his leg vertically. With a quick snap, Tota sent his foot forward at the leg Risa still had planted firmly on the ground. If he was lucky - she would dodge, if not then she'd surely fall to the ground.

NOTES:
N/A

WORDCOUNT:
fins and feet | tota [training]Apr 10, 2022 2:49:01 GMT -5
taneda risa
better late than never!
taneda risa Avatar
groupMist Shinobi

Tota was so fast! He seemed so quick and fluid in his movements, bouncing around like his body had barely any weight to it at all. Risa felt like a rock underwater in comparison—sunk to the bottom, lodged in place. Maybe she could try to copy him, loosen up a little? She was a little afraid of looking like a fool, or falling on her face, but… this was just practice, right? Wasn’t that the point?

Tota dodged back from her kick, and with no momentum to carry her forward, Risa’s leg stayed aloft, her body twisted sideways and her leg bent back as if primed to snap out with another kick. She held her balance pretty well—that is, until Tota kicked at her planted leg! She’d definitely fall over if that hit, and probably take a pretty decent bruise to the shin. No time to think, though; she had to react!

With another muffled noise of alarm Risa twisted her body the opposite direction, jumping up and landing on the leg that she had just tried to kick Tota with. Now with the leg that had been planted—the one Tota was kicking at—she kicked at his ribs again, this time at the other side. There was more oomph to the movement this time, more momentum carrying her forward as instinct and necessity overrode her hesitation.

LAIKA OF THQ

fins and feet | tota [training]Apr 10, 2022 3:12:49 GMT -5
Tota
Kirigakure's #1 Student
Tota Avatar
groupMist Shinobi

LITTLE TOTA

Tota let out a sigh of relief when his kick hadn't caused the girl to fall over. What kind of guy would he be to push a girl into the dirt... what would Dansui and Hatohara think of him. No - He couldn't focus on that right now because at that very moment Risa had easily repositioned herself to kick him again.

As the leg came flying toward him, Tota didn't have time to dodge. Thinking on his feet, the boy quickly bent his arm and swung it like a pendulum to meet the kick. It wasn't much of a block, that's not what he intended. Instead he used his arms resistance to the motion of Risa's leg to slow it down and subtly redirect it's path downward. While her legs were long, they weren't long enough to hit him with the change of angle he created. Her kick would just miss his knee, thankfully. Tota would however let out a groan as his arm stung with a short burst of pain from the decision, as the two limbs separated.

He would use that opportunity to move in for another punch, sending it higher this time; aiming for her shoulder. Tota held back, deciding not to put much strength into it. He didn't want to hurt Risa after all.

NOTES:
N/A

WORDCOUNT:
last edit by Tota on Apr 10, 2022 3:15:34 GMT -5
fins and feet | tota [training]Apr 10, 2022 3:50:52 GMT -5
taneda risa
better late than never!
taneda risa Avatar
groupMist Shinobi

What the heck! Redirecting blows was something they had learned about in class, but it was way different seeing Tota do it, and feeling her leg get pushed way off course was super disorienting. Also, frustrating! She really thought she had something with that kick, but no, Tota was too quick for her.

Her gut twisted with frustration as her leg got pushed down, and she landed hard with that foot in front of her. Tota followed up with a punch—not to her torso like before, but to her shoulder, a thump that she wasn’t able to flinch away from in time. Still, it didn’t really hurt.

Was he… going easy on her?

Rude!

She wasn’t that bad at taijutsu! And she was bigger than him! Did he really think she was so frail and weak that he couldn’t even give her a proper punch to the shoulder?

Anger rose hot in her chest and before she even had another moment to think she clapped her hands on Tota’s shoulders and whacked her forehead against his face with a dull thunk. It hurt, and she grunted with the impact, but it was satisfying.

LAIKA OF THQ

fins and feet | tota [training]Apr 11, 2022 4:50:45 GMT -5
Tota
Kirigakure's #1 Student
Tota Avatar
groupMist Shinobi

LITTLE TOTA

His punch barely contacted against Risa before he saw her head flying toward him, followed by a white flash of light. Tota experienced an unexpected thump to his forehead, sending him stumbling back. It took a moment for the boy to realise what happened as he regained his footing. His vision became momentarily blurred as a sudden headache stretched across his mind. He rubbed his throbbing forehead back and forth for a moment, feeling a bump feel where the impact occurred.

As the white noise fooling his eyes subsided, Tota looked up at Risa. "That was a good one! You really surprised me!" He said, pulling his mouth into a pursued smile. Continuing to rub his head, Tota looked down. 'That really hurt' he thought, keeping it to himself. The attack had interrupted their spar completely as Tota recovered.

A sigh left Tota's mouth, realising he was beaten by a girl. The dork Risa of all people. He slowly walked toward her, taking his time to show his complete lack of aggression. When he was within reaching distance, Tota quickly raised his arm to Risa's face to give her a thumbs up. "Maybe we should train on the dummies for a little while? You really got me there" Tota exclaimed.

NOTES:
N/A

WORDCOUNT:
last edit by Tota on Apr 11, 2022 4:51:16 GMT -5
fins and feet | tota [training]May 2, 2022 0:59:10 GMT -5
taneda risa
better late than never!
taneda risa Avatar
groupMist Shinobi

Tota stumbled back when she headbutted him, rubbing his forehead where a big red mark was starting to show. Risa’s hands flew up to her mouth as her anger immediately dissipated—she’d actually hurt him? Tears welled up in her eyes.

He was being really nice to her, complimenting her hit, giving her a big thumbs up… but he wanted to practice on the dummies now, and his forehead really was red, and what if she’d given him a concussion? Her own head was throbbing with pain, but that seemed negligible compared to the probably permanent damage she’d done to Tota.

"I’m sorry!” she said, her voice cracking. "I didn’t mean to really hurt you, I just felt like you were going easy on me and I got really mad—are you okay? Do you want to go to the medics? Maybe we should stop for the day! I’m really sorry!!!”

Regret and shame were evident in her voice, and she truly felt terrible about the whole thing, but there was also a piece of her—deep down in her belly, a mean part of her—that felt really good about hitting him like that. Tota was definitely better at taijutsu than her, but she’d got him good. It was a dirty, mean thing to think, but… she was kind of proud of herself.

She was also a terrible person, though, so that was that.

LAIKA OF THQ

fins and feet | tota [training]Nov 18, 2022 23:33:52 GMT -5
Tota
Kirigakure's #1 Student
Tota Avatar
groupMist Shinobi

LITTLE TOTA

Tota continued to scrub his head as the bump intensified in size and color. He felt a little dizzy, but nothing he couldn't handle. As the brown haired girl talked, Tota just smiled and nodded. It was actually a surprise to him that she'd be so compassionate. "It's okay, Risa. We were sparring after all. I've got to learn how to take a hit, just as much as I've got to learn how to give one" he said.

The boy turned away, trying to hide his bulging forehead wound from the girl and begun walking towards the line of wooden training dummys. "I was going easy on you. I haven't seen your taijutsu skills before, so I wasn't sure if you'd be able to handle a punch... And it feels wrong to hit a girl at full strength." Tota exclaimed as he looked back at Risa with a grin on his face.

"But this time I'll be for real then!" Tota shouted.

With little notice the boy swung around and dashed toward Risa with a fist readily aiming at her gut. He wasn't going to hold back now that he knew it maddened her that he had earlier. Even so, he hoped the girl blocked his attack.

NOTES:
N/A

WORDCOUNT:
fins and feet | tota [training]Dec 13, 2022 6:19:27 GMT -5
taneda risa
better late than never!
taneda risa Avatar
groupMist Shinobi

He was still being so nice to her, which only broke her heart more, guilt and shame settling heavy in her gut. He turned away, clearly trying to hide what she’d done to him, and she stared despondently down at her feet.

And it feels wrong to hit a girl at full strength.

Risa’s frowned deepened. That… felt wrong. It didn’t sit right, and not just for the obvious reasons—her mom always told her that girls could do anything boys could do, and that included kicking butts—but it slid under her skin like a bee sting, prickly and annoying.

Before she had time to really think about it, though, Tota was suddenly yelling, and Risa’s head jerked up just in time to see him swinging a punch at her! She yelped with surprise and tried to block, but she wasn’t quite fast enough, and she took a mean sucker punch to the gut as a result. All her breath left her in a wheeze—but she grinned, all her distress disappearing along with her oxygen.

"Nice,” she croaked, before chambering her back leg, and punching forward with the ball of her foot in a hard front kick directly to Tota’s chest.

LAIKA OF THQ