Suggestion: Inclusion of an EXP mechanic

compose a reply
Suggestion: Inclusion of an EXP mechanicMay 27, 2022 19:09:32 GMT -5
Necro
All of the disadvantages in this world stems from a person's lack of ability.
Necro Avatar
groupnull
age 25 years old birthday 12/20 rank occupation TBA
I know I am not in the place of any say, but I come across this system and it works but there are caveats to it. I am aware this is also a hot take suggestion and for that, as with prior suggestions (especially after recent events), I have no right to push nor defend this. I come across this system and have the members of NFB in mind when making this suggestion.

Introducing the point exchange program!

Have a bunch of points hoarded on one character, and leaving some others with nothing to spare? Well, then this is for you! Finally, hand over the scraps to those beggars.

In order to do so, you have to abide by the law of taxes, because we're adults and we hate life.

The current rate for exchanging points is a rate of 1:.75

For example, this means if you trade 100 points, you'll get 75 on the character of your choosing. Please don't try to split up a single point, the admin sucks at math guys. Try to be nice.

For now, only denominations of 100 will be accepted for transfer.

Also, you can "gift" other people's characters with your hard-earned points if you so desire, but that rate will be a 2:1. Meaning if you sacrifice 100 points, they will get 50.

I found this in my travels around and it works on those sites so why not here?

I do have a pros/cons list for this exact reasoning, it may be small so pardon if the kinks aren't perfect:

Pros:Lessons the grind needed especially for ambitious membersAllows those that can't invest as much as other members to still feel like they have a foot in the doorAllows those who have a lot saved up to aid their other members/charactersEncourages those with an excess amount to nod at other players and their off-screen development
Cons:Introduces the risk of only specializing in one character and just handing out exp to the lesser played charactersLessens the need to employ training threads and risks IC developmentMay introduce favortisim/forming of cliques that aren't already there.Lessons the grind needed especially for ambitious members (Pro & Con? Yes.)

I don't have any benefit from this so maybe good faith is more present but that's beside the point.

Now here's balancers I can suggest to make it functional on a forum where activity is encouraged:

• To use this system for self transference, both characters need to have 50+ posts to show that you are not abusing this system and actually putting in the work.
  • Transfer/"gift" to another character not your own is locked to a month after approval and a month after each promotion to add a time block, meant to encourage activity and no reliance on this system.
  • 100% optional and is not a mechanic to push but to have for added inclusion.
  • Only meant as a nod to off-screen development as members can be working on a set thread for months and have a sudden gap in growth.
  • Each character is allotted Gift/transfer submissions at 2x a month and must be documented in XP tracker of both donor/receiver respectively.

Again, being a now outside entity, I have no say/push/pull for this as this is merely a suggestion offered in a more elaborate format than chat messages. Thank you for reading and I still bid my best wishes to you all.
has written 2 posts
Suggestion: Inclusion of an EXP mechanicMay 27, 2022 20:58:43 GMT -5
Sharp
Am I a friend or foe?
Sharp Avatar
groupnull
age 33 years old birthday Jan rank occupation NPC Mod
Hey Necro, I hope you're doing well get back here. I'm not sure about the current draft of the suggestion and here's a few reasons just for fun.

Something to consider is that this would potentially encourage the creation of farmer characters exploiting the best possible ratios to get better output than they normally could for their rank. Particularly with genin & academy students because of how sensei bonus interacts with training xp.

For Example
Elite jounin training a jounin at D-Rank for experience. 40(award)+50(sensei)+25(posts)=115.
115*.75= 86xp. 86/5= ~17 xp per post.

Genin training with another for a D-Rank for experience. 75(award)+40(posts)=115
115/8= 14xp per post.

That may seem small, but it is about a 20% margin which would become more noticeable over the course of months. Using two elite jounin I can also bypass training limits.

If I made 2 elite farmers and trained on the clock every week with the above method I could transfer 688 xp (tax already taken out) and write only 40 posts.

The genin training with a buddy could only hope to earn 460 xp over 32 posts.

-

I also don't know if I like the idea of people who've been here for a very long time being able to drop saved up XP on a genin they've barely played and bringing them to the chunin exams as a god. I think it sort of takes away from the spirit of the genin's journey if the champs are always just Akira's alts chipping away at his 2k xp >D.

last edit by Sharp on May 27, 2022 21:14:42 GMT -5
Sharp has written 10,047 posts
Suggestion: Inclusion of an EXP mechanicMay 29, 2022 10:46:26 GMT -5
aihara ryoko
Nindo Goes Here: Edit Profile > Personal > Most Recent Status
aihara ryoko Avatar
groupRock Shinobi
age birthday rank occupation
While there are reasons to be for or against this sort of thing, I think the only part that really matters is this:

"I also don't know if I like the idea of people who've been here for a very long time being able to drop saved up XP on a genin they've barely played and bringing them to the chunin exams as a god."

Veterans on the site do not need an edge. Veterans on the site have all the advantages of knowing the systems, knowing the ways to get their xp quickly, and having a rolodex of easy go tos for quick threading. Allowing them to become xp aristocrats by passing on their great wealth to their offspring isn't really needed.

If anything, I'd be in favor of allowing actual brand new people to have a little boost to their first character, to help level them against all the long standing veterans.
has written 301 posts
Suggestion: Inclusion of an EXP mechanicJun 1, 2022 4:14:26 GMT -5
Hatake Shinde
Nindo Goes Here: Edit Profile > Personal > Most Recent Status
Hatake Shinde Avatar
groupLeaf Shinobi
age 14 years old birthday January 7, -4 SD rank Chuunin occupation Kunoichi
I somewhat support the idea of an EXP exchange system, as I have a few characters I don't use anymore that have tons of EXP and I dont know if I will ever bring back/pick up, and would actually like to use their EXP for something. I dunno. I'm personally for it.
dandead10 has written 307 posts
Suggestion: Inclusion of an EXP mechanicJun 1, 2022 5:14:11 GMT -5
Hisakawa Yamato
Preparation, and good comrades, are the keys to victory
Hisakawa Yamato Avatar
groupnull
age 23 years old birthday rank Sp. Jounin occupation Kusagakure Lord
This isn't an RPG site. It's an RP site. EXP isn't a currency that you hold in character, it is a representation of a character's (exp)eriences and time spent improving themselves. When you 'buy' something with EXP, that is a representation of your character learning something 'behind the scenes'. None of this other discussion about giving edges, numbers, or balance even needs to be happen because the core concept is based off the idea that this is a game and that life experience can somehow be magically transferred to other people.
Yamato has written 544 posts

quick reply

compose a reply