Equipment Rules AmendmentJul 9, 2022 20:17:22 GMT -5
Ōnakayama Miyo
Nindo Goes Here: Edit Profile > Personal > Most Recent Status
Ōnakayama Miyo Avatar
groupnull
age Twenty years old birthday March 19 rank Genin occupation ANBU Operative

Level 3

Name, Rank & Link(s) of those concerned: N/A

Level of Appeal: I have no idea. I'm going level 3 since it's a rules amendment.

Reason/Argument for Appeal:
Currently, C-rank items are a dime-a-dozen, and shuriken, kunai, and senbon are universally added to character sheets with the understanding that they have no particularly properties.

However, this is actually not the case! 

The following changes I am proposing is not a true change to anything, but the addition of an unwritten rule/understanding to the ruleset for future use. This amendment will make balancing items, techniques, and other things a little easier in the future, and promote a level of cohesion.

Changes Being Made:
I am recommending the addition of a blurb regarding specifically C-rank items.

Currently, to utilize a technique that has elemental properties with a weapon, such as with many bukijutsu and a few ninjutsu, a weapon must conduct chakra. B-rank and above weapons can have either chakra reactive or chakra conductive, but C-rank items cannot.

However, *many* of these techniques are utilizing a thrown weapon, such as kunai, shuriken, senbon, or even fuuma shuriken. These weapons do not have profiles, and have not needed any, because they do not have any particular abilities and are generally well known already.

The rules regarding chakra conductive give the ability to pass chakra through an item to gain a multitude of smaller effects. To use a jutsu through a weapon is technically chakra conductive. Up until now, this has been largely ignored because it does not cause a major problem. But, as staff has made it known that there is a move towards actually balancing things as opposed to the 2016-esque hellscape of anything-goes, it would be in the best interest of anyone to add some further clarification in the form of the following:

C-Rank Weapons and Limited Chakra Conductivity

C-Rank Items are those that do not cost equipment points, and can be added in any reasonable number to a character's arsenal without issue. Among these are simple shinobi tools such as kunai and shuriken. As these items are not at a rank where they gain chakra conductivity or chakra reactivity, or any other special abilities, they do not possess noteworthy special properties.

However, these standardized tools are often integral items for shinobi and are components of many techniques. Though they do not have full chakra conductivity that allows them to hold a slight charge of chakra, or to pass chakra through the weapon for a number of effects, they do have limited chakra conductivity that allows them to serve as a core for a variety of techniques. 

When a C-rank item is used in such a technique, they are generally a piece of ammunition that serves as a anchoring point for chakra. Such an item is not able store chakra, but gives chakra something to latch onto for the duration of the technique, and will not be sufficient for most advanced bukijutsu techniques, or those that do much more than coating the item in charka and throwing it at a target. 

This is just an example blurb, and just about anything could be used, not necessarily this. 

This has been a slightly loosely observed equipment rule that hasn't even really been written down, and probably should be. It would go a long way towards differentiating what can and cannot be used with a C-rank generic item and what needs a more specific, chakra-conductive weapon. 

For example, Chō Biburāto Raitontō - [Supervibrato Lightning Release Sword] is a technique that would not work with a C-rank item, due to the nature of the technique. It is actively storing chakra and utilizing it to change the properties of the weapon. 

The alternative, something that could be used with a C-rank weapon, would be Katon: Faia Tama no Jutsu [Fire Release: Fire Projectiles]. In this instance, the item is more-or-less optional and does not have any particular effect on the jutsu, nor does it gain any special properties. It is merely an ammunition item that is spent along with the technique. 

Some techniques, like the one above, are not written with optional ammunition, but realistically could be. These types of techniques would be doable with C-rank weapons without issue.

Might be a bit of a bother to go through the lists and determine what is or what is not really supposed to be used without a chakra conductive weapon, but those techniques exist out there, and are sliding by under the pretense of something that isn't written down, but understood to be there, but also not stringently enforced.

The primary benefit of this change would be anything being apped going forward. I believe it would be very helpful to have in place. 

Fairemont has written 371 posts
Equipment Rules AmendmentJul 12, 2022 11:20:04 GMT -5
Yoshiko
Space is just a word for those afraid to get close.
Yoshiko Avatar
groupAdministrator
age birthday rank occupation
Chakra Conductive can have non-jutsu chakra channeled through it, there are jutsu which specifically require a weapon conductive or capable of channeling that chakra element. Typically when a technique doesn't require hand seals it's more likely to have subsidized it for a weapon just capable of using it. The fire jutsu I am confident doesn't require chakra conductive shuriken to use, Chō Biburāto Raitontō - [Supervibrato Lightning Release Sword] I am less confident. It'd probably require a conductive or electric reactive weapon. Flying Swallow right below it clearly requires it in my eyes.

I'll move this to suggestions and remove it from notify, as it's not an appeal, but I hope you understand me saying this isn't a high priority item. If anything about c-ranks bothered me, it'd be the fact that explosion notes are basically free jutsu in a sense.
has written 684 posts

quick reply

compose a reply