compose a reply
hitting the books | sanosukeJul 24, 2022 19:45:27 GMT -5
takeda sadako
I'LL STOP WHEN THEY FIND A WAY TO MAKE ME
takeda sadako Avatar
groupRain Shinobi
age 16 years old birthday february 18 rank genin occupation genin

KILLING YOUR IDOLS IS A CHORE

The situation was: it didn’t matter if Sadako ‘had the potential’ to unlock the Devil Bringer or not. She didn’t give a rat’s ass if anyone thought she was gonna be able to do it or not. Fact was, she was making it happen whether her blood liked it or not.

The problem was: she didn’t know where the hell to start.

The Preceptors’ stories all talked about a transformation, channeling the Devil’s power into a physical manifestation that amplified a person’s strength far beyond their normal capabilities—a spectral arm that gave you superhuman capabilities. She had Takeda blood, thin as it may have been; the power was hers by right. She just had to figure out how to use it.

But how the hell did you make something like that happen?

She spent a lot of time whaling on punching bags and thinking Devilish thoughts, but all that resulted in was bloody knuckles and a bunch of broken punching bags.

With physical training not resulting in anything, the next most obvious path forward was the clan library.

She lived with Auntie Reiko within the clan compound, just a few doors down from the house where she’d grown up, and she knew the path to the records hall by the back of her hand. It was a simple enough thing to slip inside that dark, musty old place and start combing the stacks, pulling out every title she could find that had any mention of the devil bringer within the first couple of pages.

Before long she had a tower of books precariously stacked from her waist to her chin, and was awkwardly reaching for the umpteenth book; but she was so focused that she didn’t have an ounce of attention to spare on her surroundings, ignorant to anything or anyone that wasn’t directly involved with the task at hand.

LAIKA OF THQ
tactician has written 151 posts
hitting the books | sanosukeJul 26, 2022 1:05:01 GMT -5
TAKEDA SANOSUKE™
"When you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all."
TAKEDA SANOSUKE™ Avatar
groupRain Shinobi
age 24 years old birthday JUNE 6TH, -15SD rank SP. JOUNIN occupation AMELORD
Sanosuke never thought the day would come where he'd be able to walk these halls so freely. In fact, as a kid he only got to come here a few times and that was only through his dads connection with the Devil King. Those in the clan that didn't receive clearance from either the Devil Preceptors or the Knights weren't even allowed to be in here. Fortunately for Sanosuke his position as the Amelord put him on equal footing with the royal hierarchy, and that meant he could come in here whenever he wanted.

These days his interest was solely on the potential of the clans ability, but that was still limited to the higher ups, or rather the Devil King. He hinted toward there being another level, but for some reason he wasn't willing to hand it to him. He even thought about pulling rank once, but of course he would never be as rude to try such a thing. The Devil King and his family had been kind to him and everyone his whole life so if he was forced to find out on his own he would.

Yoshiro seemed to hint at the possibility of finding the key to getting their in the Record Halls, but the likelihood he'd be able to find it was slim to none. The King told him nothing more before he went of to the halls himself to see if he could find any clues. As he continued to look through a number of records throughout the history of the clan Sanosuke took notice to sounds of falling books not to far from where he was.

"Huh? Hm, I didn't think the preceptors would be around right now. Maybe they could help--"

As he slowly turned the corner he took notice of one of clans many problem teenagers Takeda, Sadako. The girl was very strong and had a ton of potential, but according to his mother she was easily one of the hardest Takeda to get through in the clan. By her age most of the teens had already found their stride emotionally, but Sadako was different.

Usually people like herself thrived pretty easy because they were heavy on the emotions. According to the his mothers and the other preceptors she was definitely an easy person to get to, but she also didn't hold on to whatever was getting to her for long either. They said that part of her personality played a part in why she couldn't fall victim to the Devil Soul transformation.

Her self centeredness also got in the way of that as well. She saw herself above everyone and no matter what it always had to be about her. Ironically that was the complete opposite of what the clan stood for, and yet she still went left. The preceptors wondered if the loss of her parents played a part in that, but Sadako wasn't really up for opening up about her feelings.

"So.. Breaking and entering? I'm sure that's not something you were taught by any of us.. Is there something here you're looking for that just couldn't wait?"
| AP has written 801 posts
hitting the books | sanosukeJul 26, 2022 2:57:48 GMT -5
takeda sadako
takeda sadako Avatar
groupRain Shinobi

Okay, so, maybe she wasn’t technically allowed to be there. Something about ‘explicit permission from the Preceptors’ and ‘you have to have clearance’ and blah blah blah. Whatever. No one had caught her going in, which to Sadako’s mind, might as well have been explicit permission.

That didn’t stop her from getting the crap scared out of her when a masculine voice suddenly rumbled from behind her.

"Oh, shit—” Sadako whirled in place, her eyes wide. She fumbled the book she’d been pulling off the shelf, but luckily she was quick enough to catch it, her hand lunging out with hard-won speed to grip it by the spine before it could tumble to the floor and take any dents. Just as quickly, her mouth started running of its own volition, churning out some half-baked lie: "Look, it’s fine, I have a permission slip—”

And then she realized who she was speaking to.

Her blood running cold, Sadako stood up perfectly straight, holding the books in her arms with a death grip that turned her knuckles white.

"L-Lord Sixth, I didn’t see you there, uh—” Again she swallowed. She wasn’t supposed to be there, and he knew damn well she wasn’t supposed to be there, which left them… where, exactly? He hadn’t immediately tried to throw her out, so maybe she was in the clear? "I’m, uh… researching.” Technically the truth. Gods, she wanted to just take the books and run, and if this had been anyone else, she might’ve done just that.

Lord Sanosuke, though? Fat chance.

LAIKA OF THQ

hitting the books | sanosukeJul 27, 2022 0:38:01 GMT -5
TAKEDA SANOSUKE™
TAKEDA SANOSUKE™ Avatar
groupRain Shinobi
Sanosuke shook his head in disappointment before carefully leaning against one of the shelfs with a blank stare on his face. How the hell was anyone going to get to her in the clan before they had to write her off as a disappointment. The clan wouldn't shun her or anything, and she'd be loved just as equally as anyone else, but the clan was still on the rise and couldn't afford to overly invest in teens he weren't willing to better themselves.

In no time she would be an adult responsible for her own well being and career path. Still, he could see there was a degree of discipline lurking within her as she practically froze in his presence. At least he could see now there were limits to how she treated certain members of the clan and that was a positive sign. Despite the responsibility and respect the Preceptors garnered the kids and teens alike were allowed to lash out.

In a since they were their safe place in a word that would only look down upon them. "At ease Sadako.." Sanosuke's tone remained neutral as he flexed the muscles around his legs and practically floated away from the shelf and begin walking toward the girl. "Research huh? Didn't take you to be the kind of girl who's a book worm. What's the catch?" She might have been in a degree of trouble for being here, but she did just a tad enough to get some family treatment.

That is so long as she continued to come correct to him. There was no secret that Sanosuke had a soft spot for all the members of his clan, especially the younger ones now that he made history by being chosen as the new Amelord. His role practically was the ending to a story that started long ago with fighting within the clan. Now they stood stronger than ever as family as they sought out to grow even larger and more prominent in the village they fought so many years trying to regain their respect.
hitting the books | sanosukeJul 27, 2022 10:55:03 GMT -5
takeda sadako
takeda sadako Avatar
groupRain Shinobi

He was obviously disappointed, but his expression was so flat it was hard to tell what the Ame Lord was thinking. How hard he’d have to kick her to send her out of the records hall and on her ass? Exactly how harsh the punishment would be for… well, breaking and entering?

To her surprise, though, he didn’t kick her ass, and he didn’t even scold her, really. Just a evenly-toned at ease. She did try to relax, going so far as to put her ill-gotten books down on a nearby table, but some native instinct was keeping her posture straight. Nerves, probably. Wasn’t every day you ended up just having a conversation with your village leader.

She did have to fight to suppress an eyeroll when he said he didn’t think she was much of a bookworm. She hadn’t gotten top marks or anything, but she studied damn near as hard as she trained. Had to, with the genjutsu she’d been trying to learn. Wasn’t any way to do it except through books and hard practice.

Point was, Lord Sanosuke was going way easier on her than he should’ve been, and she was too suspicious to be completely relieved—but she also knew she didn’t have a frigging leg to stand on. She wasn’t about to lie to him. Anyone else, maybe. Him? Nah. Not worth it to even try.

That didn’t mean she wanted to share, though. It took her longer than it should have to respond, Sadako busily fixing her stack of books on the table so that they were all lined up neatly, no risk of anything getting dented or toppled or damaged This was still clan property; she didn’t want to destroy it. She just wanted to… borrow it.

"Tryin’ to read up about the Devil Bringer, my lord,” Sadako said stiffly, after entirely too long of a pause. Decided to leave out the bit about the punching bags she’d annihilated trying to activate it. "You know… how it works. Activating it. That sort of thing.”

LAIKA OF THQ
hitting the books | sanosukeJul 28, 2022 0:20:10 GMT -5
TAKEDA SANOSUKE™
TAKEDA SANOSUKE™ Avatar
groupRain Shinobi
Sanosuke remained neutral in his body language as he observed her own. It was quite interesting to see her fight off the need to be most of her usual self in respect to his authority within the village and his respect throughout the clan. Maybe the positives he heard from the preceptors were as accurate as they believed. Of course they were. Nobody understood the Takeda better than they did and that's why they were chosen in the first place.

Nevertheless, after a brief glaring contest between the two of them she finally opened up about why she broke in here. The answer had to be a good one, otherwise he'd have to report her to the Preceptors and that usually meant a ton of extra chores in the compound amongst other things. Oddly enough she was trying to read about the clans base ability, the Devil Bringer. "Hmmm." The Amelord eyes widen for a moment as he slowly approached her to see the books on the ground that she had read.

"That's not a bad reason... Doesn't justify why you broke in, but I understand."

For anyone in the clan, especially the students and Genin that was a popular topic. The Devil Bringer was a right of passage for anyone in the clan that was anyone. You wouldn't be looked down upon if you never learned such a skill, but it was something they all wished to have. Even Sanosuke felt the same once upon a time.

"There's nothing in any of those books that will tell you how to do that.. It's why the Devil Preceptors teaching are rooted in riddles because the power itself is not something to be toyed with.. You kids know the story. Once upon a time the Devil within us all almost took us out." Sanosuke added as if he was some wise old story teller.
hitting the books | sanosukeJul 29, 2022 10:50:38 GMT -5
takeda sadako
takeda sadako Avatar
groupRain Shinobi

Despite herself, a minute feeling of relief began to worm its way through Sadako’s shoulders—maybe she would get off light? Lord Sixth was hard to read, but he was being pretty chill about the whole thing. Just a scolding and then she’d be out of there.

Then, just as quickly: Sadako deflated. There’s nothing in any of those books that will tell you how to do that. All this trouble for nothing, then. What the hell was the point of any of it? She couldn’t punch her way to the Devil Bringer, and now she couldn’t study her way through—what the hell was the answer, then?

Wasn’t like Lord Sixth was gonna tell her straight. No, it was apparently storytime.

Sadako bounced idly on the balls of her feet, the movement apparently unconscious—staying limber, active, keeping her body moving. Also clearly impatient, and trying in vain to tamp it down.

"She killed all the villagers who had been awful to Her, and until She found the one man who’d escaped her, and he accepted Her, and they fell in love,” she said, rattling off the story beats like they were items on a grocery list. "Let me be your salvation, ‘n all that. Point is, She wiped out nearly a whole village with that power.” No kidding it was strong; why the hell did he think she wanted to unlock it so bad? And she knew the story inside and out, she’d heard it enough times, but the answer to the Devil Bringer was not hidden away in there. If it was, she’d know.

Sadako wanted the answer so bad, it felt like burning in her chest. She had the raw power, her body was in peak physical condition, she was a freakin’ master at taijutsu compared to the other genin on her team—but something was missing. Like she just needed one little extra push to get ahead.

"I don’t have any more time to waste, my lord,” she said after a long moment, her fists clenching. She looked away, not quite able to meet his eyes. She’d already lost so much time, it felt like she was always playing catch-up. "I need the Devil Bringer. I can’t stop until I figure it out.”

LAIKA OF THQ

hitting the books | sanosukeOct 20, 2023 13:27:15 GMT -5
TAKEDA SANOSUKE™
TAKEDA SANOSUKE™ Avatar
groupRain Shinobi
As expected of many of the youth in the Takeda, they were well versed in the lore that was told by the Devil Preceptors; and although the mockery of it was uncalled for Sanosuke understood why all the same. He too was once a kid, and many of his own peers felt the same way. Rolling their eyes at every turn they were made to listen to it. It was a gruesome lesson indeed, but also necessary.

The clan fought through many trials to get to this point, and without lessons like this they'd never understood the sacrifices that were made to provide them with such a wonderful life. "Actually.. The power she held was said to be much stronger." Sanosuke teased playfully after Sadako gauged on about how she needed to learn the Devil Bringer. He couldn't remember the last time he saw someone filled with so much desire for power.

When he was growing up discussions of the Devil Bringer were on par with lets say, puberty. Everyone couldn't wait for their opportunity, but no one really went out of their way to forcefully obtained it. It was one of many odd behaviors they displayed where they gave all the old heads a hard time in class, but behind the scenes they were understanding and cognizant of what was required to gain said power.

"You say you need it, but... All I see is want. Desire for power." Sanosuke added while waving his fingers as if he was talking about a ghost. Sense she wished to slightly make light of the lore, he'd do the same. "That desire for power is just going to leave you with that cursed transformation none of us can stand to talk about." The Devils Soul transformation to be exact. One be consumed with their own emotional stress and turns it into raw power.

Its overall prowess surpassed that of the Devil Bringer, but it came with a heavy cost. "Soon you'll be running rampant like a rabid rodent.. But at least you'll be strong right?" It was pretty clear to Sanosuke that Sadako had every bit of what it took to be a great Shinobi. She, unlike his predecessors were fortunate as they were being raised to do what they wanted. Sanosuke's generation was the first, but many didn't have what it took to really climb the ranks so they just did what their parents did.

Build, fix, and renovate towers while taking on guard post positions like their predecessors. She and her peers could truly go the distance, but like anything in life peace had this way of making the next generation want to come into accomplishments without work, or more importantly? Patience. "The Devil Bringer is not something you figure out, but something you summon with conviction." Sanosuke spoke proudly with his right arm up.

"The strength comes in response to a Neeeed. Not some desire, or want. In order to manifest the beautiful Devil within we must have conviction above all else, and right now, you're just plane ole greedy." Sanosuke added at the end while simultaneously dropping his right arm and staring at her with a blank and empty glance.

"But if you're truly serious, then maybe I can teach you a thing or two.. "

last edit by TAKEDA SANOSUKE™ on Oct 20, 2023 13:28:27 GMT -5
hitting the books | sanosukeOct 22, 2023 7:09:12 GMT -5
takeda sadako
takeda sadako Avatar
groupRain Shinobi

The cursed transformation. Lord Sixth waggled his fingers in an ooh, spooky kind of gesture, and it sent tingles up her spine—it was terrifying to hear about, the utter loss of control that came with the Devil’s Soul transformation, but even a cursed transformation was still transformation. Would something as monstrous as that be so bad, if it meant she was able to tap into that power?

On the other hand, there was a bone-deep fear she felt at the prospect of losing control. For someone so stringent, so utterly disciplined in all matters of the body, losing control of her own actions was one of the more horrifying fates she could imagine… but she didn’t have nearly as tight a handle on her emotions as she did her diet and exercise regimen. She’d been cutting carbs since she was eleven, but she’d never been able to curb her anger.

Sadako’s face contorted into a scowl despite herself. "I’m not—” Greedy, she started to protest, her voice rising, but she cut herself off before she got any farther. Backtalking the Amelord was a one-way ticket to getting ratted out to the Preceptors. No fuckin’ way. She let out a heavy exhale, rolled her neck.

"Please,” she said urgently. Her hands balled up into fists, she stared at the bookshelf just over his shoulders, not quite able to make eye contact with him. "I have conviction. I need this. My mom—”

She cut herself off again, swallowing her words back along with the bile that rose up her throat. Her gaze fell, her knuckles whitened. Her training weights felt heavy on her limbs. She didn't have the mental, emotional wherewithal to describe the bone-deep desperation that filled her, the fury that drove her to the edge of exhaustion every day; she didn't know how to say all I have left of my mom is her blood and her weights and I need to make sure I'm worthy of her blood. The thought had never been cohesive in her mind; her grief was buried deep, deep within.

"Whatever you can show me, I’ll take it,” she said. "But I’m gonna get there no matter what.”

LAIKA OF THQ