compose a reply
stable connections | kanameJul 26, 2022 1:03:14 GMT -5
hirana kizumi
death before dishonor.
hirana kizumi Avatar
groupCloud Shinobi
age 37 years old birthday october 13 rank jounin occupation raikage

A HEART'S A HEAVY BURDEN

Though not her first official excursion out of the country after her promotion, the experience of traveling with a retinue instead of a small team was still novel enough that Kizumi still wasn’t quite sure what to do with herself in the midst of all these bodyguards, and the Kumogakure participants in the Sumiya Eve race.

She’d had cause to travel through Kaze no Kuni before, and while the harsh environment of the desert was anathema to her seafaring sailor’s heart, Sunagakure had its own particular charm that she was really very fond of. They were quite early for the start of the event, but she chose to take it as an opportunity to travel freely, enjoy the sights of the village from a new perspective.

Traveling the streets of the Hidden Village as the Raikage proved to be a vastly different experience from wandering around as a wide-ranging nobody jounin, however, as her thick, wide-sleeved white formal robes and the obvious honor guard that accompanied her was garnering a number of stares and soft whispers.

The soft sound of nickering drifted from the street ahead, and before long a small stable came into view, attached to what looked like a pleasant-looking, cozy little tavern.

"Go on ahead,” she said to the contingent. "I want to say hi to the horses; I’ll catch up.”

One of her bodyguards gave her a duly unimpressed look, but he waved the rest of the group onwards, and dutifully waited outside the stable doors. Kizumi rolled her eyes, but she let herself in without arguing with him.

It was cooler within the stables than without, dark and smelling of freshly turned hay and that distinct horse smell that brought a smile to her lips. She’d rarely had cause to ride a horse, only having done so once or twice in her life, but she liked the creatures. Horribly impractical for her homeland, with those thin little legs and skittish natures, but they were sweet things.

One mare poked her amber head out from her stall, her thick white mane shining and well-combed as she huffed in Kizumi’s direction. Kizumi looked around, but in vain—no treats were left out in the open, which was sensible, if disappointing. Instead she cautiously approached, holding her hand out flat to allow the animal to sniff, waiting and hoping for implicit consent to give the girl some pats.

LAIKA OF THQ
tactician has written 452 posts
stable connections | kanameJul 26, 2022 3:46:33 GMT -5
kaname
"Compassion above all else."
kaname Avatar
groupnull
age 15 years old birthday sep 30th, -8SD rank academy student occupation sage apprentice
[attr="class","pinktext"]
With how often they found themselves in the stables, keeping them clean and tending to the horses that lived there, one would presume Kana worked there. And, in some part, that was true. If not for the diligent upkeep of the village’s stables, they, an unemployed student with few connections, would never be able to keep their own steed here.

Today was a lazy one, however. Most of the horses were out and it wasn’t as though these breeds made much of a mess to begin with. While they weren’t familiar with the horses of the world, Kana had heard that those born of the desert were the fastest and, simultaneously, the most agreeable; all except for their own it sometimes seemed.

Kana rested against a low wooden wall with a small container of water opened at their side and a book nestled firmly between their bent knees. When they heard the stable doors open they didn’t stir. It was rare that anyone entered them without a horse being kept here and they would know how to navigate to them on their own. At least, they kept still up until the horse in the pen next to them began to kick up a fuss; Kana’s horse.

They shot up like a light, their first instinct that a thief had barged in. If that was the case there wasn’t much Kana could do, save try and dissuade them, but they would at least try. But, when it was revealed that the intruder was a noble looking lady and was, seemingly, trying to pat Kana’s horse, they settled a bit.

"Sorry... you startled me.” They began as they reached out a hand to rest on their horse’s side, easing the creature almost instantly with the soft touch and a low coo. "Shhh… easy…” Kana watched as the horse visibly calmed and, while she didn’t ease up entirely, allowed the stranger to touch them.

Kana took the moment to look at their guest and try to size them up. Their outfit was… ridiculous. But it also struck them as oddly familiar. Though, to be fair, a lot of people wore white robes around here; it was effective at keeping away heat and blocking out the sun’s rays.

Though, their set looked particularly unwieldy and Kana couldn’t help but comment. "Is there something I can help you with? And uh, you might want to watch your step. These stables are clean enough but a robe as pristine as that,” they gestured loosely at the formal garb, "isn’t going to do well in here regardless.”

430 words |

[newclass=.pinktext]width:320px;border-top:solid 1px #cececf;border-bottom:solid 1px #cececf;border-right:solid 1px #cececf;border-left:solid 1px #cececf;background-color:#f0f0f0;filter: grayscale(96%);transition-duration:.7s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.pinktext:hover]filter: grayscale(0%);[/newclass]
j. has written 7 posts
stable connections | kanameJul 26, 2022 4:17:30 GMT -5
hirana kizumi
death before dishonor.
hirana kizumi Avatar
groupCloud Shinobi

A HEART'S A HEAVY BURDEN

Oh the horse was not happy with her. Kizumi started to pull her hand back and back away, but before she made her full retreat, a teenager suddenly shot up from the floor, and came over to settle the horse down.

"Oh, no, I’m sorry,” Kizumi said earnestly. "I didn’t mean to startle you.”

The youth had soft features and light hair, and apparently a way with horses that Kizumi could only dream of; it took barely more than a moment’s effort for them to calm the mare down, to the point where she even warily permitted Kizumi to carefully, gently stroke the length of her snout. "Thank you,” she said, smiling as she looked the horse over. "She’s lovely.”

The teen made a keen observation about her garb, however, and as she looked down at what she was wearing, she shook her head in dismay. "Ah, shit, you’re right,” she said, and shucked the robe off—carefully, so that it didn’t touch the floor—and folded it up into a small square of pure white fabric. She wore, as she ever did, her regular shinobi gear beneath; with the amount of traveling the group had to do, there was no way she’d be caught unprepared. "Good catch. Sorry again—I haven’t seen horses in a good long while, I wanted to come in and say hello.” She grinned. "Hirana Kizumi—I’m in town for a while. Do you work here? I’d be keen to rent a horse, if that’s on offer.”

Burying the lede? Maybe. But it seemed wholly unnecessary to flex her rank on a teenager hanging out in a stable in the middle of the day.

LAIKA OF THQ

stable connections | kanameJul 26, 2022 5:19:30 GMT -5
kaname
kaname Avatar
groupnull
age 15 years old birthday sep 30th, -8SD rank academy student occupation sage apprentice
With the fancy garb doffed, Kana could get a proper look at the visitor for the first time. She was a built woman who looked the role of a shinobi with tactical gear covering her from head to toe with scars drawn across her bare arms like a tally count of past conflicts. All of it was punctuated at her waist by the belt that held her village’s insignia.

Kana’s eyes narrowed instinctually. While they may not have been the most educated when it came to shinobi life and customs, they knew full well what that strip of steel meant. This stranger was of the hidden cloud and, even though it wasn’t their first time meeting a foreign shinobi, Kana wouldn’t allow themself to be caught unaware either.

It didn’t take long, though, for the young stable keeper to relax, mirroring their horse’s initial reaction. Their horse who now seemed almost as calm as she was disinterested, bored with the guest in seconds. A soft smile crossed Kana’s lips as they continued to run their hand across the horse’s side. ‘Good girl…’

Their attention returned to the guest. "I just tend the stables…” They began softly, addressing the woman’s inquiry. "And every horse here is privately owned, unfortunately. If you want to rent one you’ll have to speak with the owner directly.” They neglected to mention who owned the horse that had immediately caught her fancy but their tone was professional and genuine despite the omission of information.

Curiosity, however, welled and refused to be so well-mannered as it boiled over. "They don’t have horses in the cloud country? How do you get around?” The image of this woman perched atop a mountain goat flashed in Kana’s mind and they did their best not to laugh, though a telling smile did crack their expression.

304 words |

[newclass=.pinktext]width:320px;border-top:solid 1px #cececf;border-bottom:solid 1px #cececf;border-right:solid 1px #cececf;border-left:solid 1px #cececf;background-color:#f0f0f0;filter: grayscale(96%);transition-duration:.7s;[/newclass]
j. has written 7 posts
stable connections | kanameJul 26, 2022 5:42:27 GMT -5
hirana kizumi
death before dishonor.
hirana kizumi Avatar
groupCloud Shinobi

A HEART'S A HEAVY BURDEN

The teenager’s eyes narrowed—presumably once they caught sight of Kumogakure’s sigil, which Kizumi wore plainly around her waist. A bit of suspicion was fair, she thought, and she didn’t pay much mind to their reaction; they seemed to relax after a moment anyway. The mare had also calmed down considerably, now apparently completely disinterested in Kizumi, so she pulled her hand away.

"Aw, that’s a shame,” she said, glancing around. There were quite a few horses; maybe if she was lucky, she’d happen to run into one of the owners while she was here. They seemed to be well-cared for here, and she thought it must be expensive, paying to have your horse stabled and tended to. That would be a hell of an excuse to flex her status; hey, I don’t know if you’ve heard of me, but I’m the Hachidaime Raikage. Let me ride your horse?

It was just silly enough that it might actually work.

The smile that came with the teenager’s next question let Kizumi know exactly where their mind had gone—she’d hung out around enough foreigners to know that Kaminari no Kuni nigh-instantly brought the image of goats and yaks to mind.

"On mountain goats,” she said, her eyes wide and earnest. "They’re pretty small, so it gets a little awkward when you have towering Fujiyama folks riding goats the height of their knees, but we make do in the mountains; it is our way.”

She paused just long enough to make it maybe plausible, then cracked into a wide smile.

"Nah, just kidding,” she said, laughing. "Draft horses. We don’t ride them, really? Farmers use ‘em for the most part; long distance-travel, they pull carriages. Sturdy things. Not quite the same as this pretty lady, though.” She was sorely tempted to reach a hand out again, but refrained. No point in pushing her. "I’ve only ridden a horse like this when traveling through Nohara no Kuni. It was amazing.”

She tilted her head, her laughter subsiding for a moment. "What’s your name, kid? You got mine, but I didn’t get yours.”

LAIKA OF THQ

stable connections | kanameJul 26, 2022 6:03:23 GMT -5
kaname
kaname Avatar
groupnull
Considering it was already what they’d been picturing coupled with Kizumi’s earnest delivery, Kana believed her immediately. Their eyes widened to match the strange lady’s as she spoke. What was once a hilarious mental image was now an entirely new reality. How strange it got on the other half of the continent.

Their expression was one of childhood innocence and genuine fascination. "Reall-” Until they deflated, Kizumi giving up the bit and returning the vibrant outside world to a dull and unimpressive shade of gray. "Oh…”

Kana was visibly dejected. "Yeah, that makes sense. A sturdier breed, of course.” As much as they wanted to stay bright and polite, their tone gave away their disappointment. It wasn’t as though this was some big dream they’d had that the stranger had dashed, rather it was something that the lady herself had confirmed only to steal back away.

Kana felt like a fool.

The mention of a giant people and roads traveled by carriage, simple enough things that were completely foreign to Kana, were dulled by a sense of doubt. Doubt that anything this lady said was just a trick to try and make Kana feel even sillier. But they wouldn’t sulk for long as Kizumi returned with a question of her own.

For the briefest moment, Kana considered a lie. That’s what you did with foreign shinobi, right? Information could grow to be a weakness if given out freely often enough. But then, dishonesty wasn’t really in their nature. "My name’s Kaname. Er…” They wanted to offer a surname to match the fancy delivery of their guest’s, but they didn’t really have one. They settled for a nickname. "Kana works.”

Despite the rough patch in their conversation, it didn't take long for Kana to bounce back to their normal kind self. Any semblance of irritation or distrust was blown away like a grain of sand across the surface of the desert.

430 words |

j. has written 7 posts
stable connections | kanameJul 26, 2022 7:48:58 GMT -5
hirana kizumi
death before dishonor.
hirana kizumi Avatar
groupCloud Shinobi

A HEART'S A HEAVY BURDEN

Aw, hell. She’d hoped that goofing on the kid would bring the mood up a little bit, maybe make them laugh—it usually worked on her sister’s kids, especially when they were little—but the stablehand visibly deflated when Kizumi gave up the bit, as if she’d betrayed their country, disrespected their mother, and kicked their horse.

They were even making a valiant attempt to be polite, but gods, they were so dejected. Kizumi felt terrible, like she’d just robbed a child of all the possible wonder in the world. It shouldn’t have mattered, really—but it did. She had to make it up to them somehow.

"It’s nice to meet you, Kana,” Kizumi said, stalling for time with politeness. If only she had something from home she could show them—but everything from home, gifts they had brought, all that diplomatic stuff, it was all with the retinue. Showing off Shichiseiken would have been gauche, anyway. Her village had some fascinating raiton-based hidden techniques, but she’d spent so many years working with Chuya, she’d been more focused on wielding the trident and utilizing the Tidecaller’s specific, odd kind of suiton chakra than practicing those particular raiton kenjutsu.

Something special she could show them in Suna, then? But how did you show off a village to a local?

Then again, Kizumi had been to places in Sunagakure that a civilian would have a damn hard time reaching. Maybe a little adventure would be in order…

"Hey, Kana,” she said after a moment, glancing behind her at the entrance. Her bodyguard was still waiting outside, no doubt, but she could mollify him easily enough. "Two questions for ya. Is there a back door, and can you take—iono, an hour? Away from the stable? I wanna show you something.” A sheepish little grin twisted her mouth. "I feel bad about the goat thing. Let me make it up to you.”

LAIKA OF THQ