compose a reply
needle:haystack | hizou Jul 27, 2022 7:35:07 GMT -5
nue masahiko
it is what it is.
nue masahiko Avatar
groupSnow Shinobi
age 24 years old birthday april 1 rank sp. jounin occupation team one leader

FEAR IS THE MIND-KILLER

Sometime after the chuunin exams in Kirigakure had finished, a new member had been assigned to Masahiko’s team: Sesshoku Hizou. From the information the Lady Fifth had given him, Masahiko got the distinct impression that he was relatively well-adjusted, all things considered; there had been something of a tragic accident a year or two prior, but after spending a period of time in service with the Diplomacy Corps, he was re-assigned to team one and seemed soft-spoken, pleasant, and eager to get to work.

Compared to how much of a struggle it had been to get Kazu to do anything, Masahiko thought that working with a mild-mannered diplomat-in-training would be a breeze. He was a pure talent with ninjutsu, had quite the interesting kekkei genkai, and a burgeoning interest in sensory. None of these things were areas of Masahiko’s expertise; but then, he was quite good at researching, and he thought he’d concocted an interesting way to try to help the young genin develop his sensory awareness.

Rather than the standard training yard spar or D-rank mission assignment, Masahiko had sent word for Hizou to meet him at the village’s eastern gate, and to be prepared for a short hike beyond the village’s walls. No particular equipment needed, Masahiko wrote, but bring an open mind.

He hadn’t yet disclosed the details of his own kekkei genkai to the teenager, and hoped that an in-person forewarning would help manage his expectations of his new sensei. It was an uncomfortable topic, difficult to broach, but Masahiko hoped that a young diplomat would have the delicacy required to navigate it gracefully.

LAIKA OF THQ

tactician has written 147 posts
needle:haystack | hizou Jul 27, 2022 17:53:25 GMT -5
Sesshoku, Hizou
Nindo Goes Here: Edit Profile > Personal > Most Recent Status
Sesshoku, Hizou Avatar
groupSnow Shinobi
age 15 years old birthday 16/9 rank Genin occupation Diplomatic Corps Herald

Carefully skimming the note with his psychometry after reading it, Hizou was unable to attain anymore information than that which was written. Masahiko must have known he would use his bloodline to gain the upper hand, as she was careful not to imprint the paper with any unnecessary "history". Hizou was disappointed; he never enjoyed surprises. After the failed attempt, the Sesshoku returned his special leather gloves to their rightful place on his hands. He pulled them up until they sat snugly tight.

He slowly made his way to the eastern gate, imagining what his sensei had in store. Hiking.. "tch". He thought. As the note said, the young genin came light on supplies, only bringing with him the bare necessities of survival in Yukigakure's frigid cold. Hizou made sure to arrive at the designated time, standing below the vast gate to await sensei Masahiko. He gazed up toward its intricate crest, watching white snow fall from the sky onto the rooftops. His wiped his glasses gently as they became fogged from the ambient heat of his breathe. It wasn't until they were clear, the Sesshoku realised his sensei was already standing in front of him. "Hello Masahiko-sensei" Hizou said.

As he spoke, Hizou bowed in honour of his teacher causing his glasses to slip down his nose. When he arose from his curtsey, Hizou readjusted his golden frames. "So, what's on the agenda today?" He asked.

Notes:
-243-
last edit by Sesshoku, Hizou on Jul 27, 2022 17:56:00 GMT -5
Zazu has written 58 posts
needle:haystack | hizou Jul 29, 2022 4:44:32 GMT -5
nue masahiko
it is what it is.
nue masahiko Avatar
groupSnow Shinobi

FEAR IS THE MIND-KILLER

So polite. Hiko could shed a tear. Kazu had always addressed him as sensei, but it was frequently accompanied by some kind of sass or attitude that he could frankly do without.

(The truth was that he didn’t actually mind, and that he was rather very fond of Kazu, but appearances had to be maintained. This was crucial.)

Hiko offered a short bow in return, and a well-mannered smile that betrayed nothing other than a general sense of pleasantry. "A short walk,” he said. Purposefully vague: his personal trademark. He wound his long hair into a thick twist, and secured it on the back of his head with a large clip, then gestured to the gates. "Shall we?”

Checking out with the gate guards was a brief process: names, ranks, purpose of the day. Masahiko guided them along the eastern road. It wouldn’t be more than twenty minutes or so at an easy walking pace; for a shinobi at top speed, it would take a fraction of the time. But Masahiko preferred the scenic route, as it were.

"Are you familiar with the Nue clan, Hizou-kun?” Masahiko asked. Somewhat more formal that he typically carried himself with Kazu; but then, this was a new student. "We have something of an… odd kekkei genkai. Have you seen it in action before?”

He didn’t want to tip his hand quite yet; if Hizou reacted poorly, then Masahiko might keep his cards rather close to his chest, and re-evaluate his lesson plan for the day. If he reacted reasonably well, then all would be fine—but he wasn’t especially interested in opening himself up as a target right away. Isao despised it when Masahiko used his clan’s ability on him, but had always been rather fine with him personally. Kazu was much the same. Hizou, on the other hand, was still a fully unknown quantity—one that Masahiko wished to quantify sooner rather than later.

LAIKA OF THQ

needle:haystack | hizou Jul 29, 2022 21:02:41 GMT -5
Sesshoku, Hizou
Sesshoku, Hizou Avatar
groupSnow Shinobi

Hizou let his fingers graze through his hair, peeling back his blonde and blue locks away from his eyes. 'A walk? The note said a hike. Which was it.' the young Sesshoku thought in a moment of disbelief. Masahiko's politeness was met with his own, as he swung his hand in front of his body. "After you, sensei" the boy uttered.

Walking a few steps behind his team leader, Hizou wondered why the two were leaving the confines of the village for a walk. It was only on rare occasions he'd ever been allowed too; for missions and his diplomatic training as such. When the two approached the gate guards, Hizou meekly retreated into himself, shuffling behind his sensei and awaiting approval to leave. He only talked when he was required to give his name and rank.

When they were approved for departure and waved through the gates, Hizou's attention flared. He was sure to keep his wits about him without the safety of the village, even with his sensei there. As the two continued their journey, Hizou listened carefully to Masahiko. His question caught Hizou off guard, was Masahiko expecting him to? Hizou knew he had to be honest with his elders, yet he also had to keep the vastness of his knowledge a mystery; even to his sensei. Hopefully Masahiko would accept his subtle honesty without wanting to dig deeper. "I'm familiar with them, however not in intricate detail." He uttered.

"Indeed, it's intriguing." Hizou added.

Notes:
-248-
needle:haystack | hizou Sept 20, 2022 6:52:23 GMT -5
nue masahiko
it is what it is.
nue masahiko Avatar
groupSnow Shinobi

FEAR IS THE MIND-KILLER

Hizou’s training with the Diplomatic Corps was clear to see; he’d obviously learned a lot from his time there. He seemed a little softspoken in his interaction with the gate guard, only speaking when spoken to and withdrawing into himself, but when it was just sensei and student on the road, he seemed at least somewhat more comfortable. He was polite, chose his words carefully, and betrayed little of his personal feelings in favor of a veneer of composure.

A boy after Hiko’s own heart. They would work well together, he thought.

"It can be startling to observe in action, which is why I ask,” Masahiko replied. "So long as you’re comfortable, then I’ll be utilizing this ability as part of your training today. Not on you, to be clear, though I should be clear that it may be necessary on future missions if you need healing.”

Ten minutes down the eastern route, Masahiko turned south, branching off from the main road and down a less-developed, but still well-worn path that led through a thick patch of forest. Before long, the path opened up into a wide clearing, and the pair arrived at their destination: a pig farm.

The pigs were outdoors, as it was a bright sunny day and the hardy creatures were well-adapted to Yuki no Kuni’s cold. A middle-aged woman was ushering one more of the animals out into the pen, when she caught sight of the two shinobi and waved the pair over.

"Nue-san, I presume?” she asked brightly. Masahiko nodded.

"Thank you for working with us, Fumiko-san,” he said, reaching out to shake her hand. If he was bothered by the sweat and grime that was plain to see on her hands, he didn’t show it. "I appreciate it.”

"No problem,” the woman replied, giving a scratch to one of the pig’s backs. "Just let me know when you’re done, alright? Feeding time’s in an hour.”

She departed, and Masahiko turned to Hizou.

"How far along are you in your development of sensory ninjutsu?” he asked. "Is it something you’ve had the opportunity to train at all prior to this?”

LAIKA OF THQ
needle:haystack | hizou Oct 16, 2022 3:29:17 GMT -5
Sesshoku, Hizou
Sesshoku, Hizou Avatar
groupSnow Shinobi

Hizou stepped lightly upon the seemingly endless snow laden ground, following a few paces behind his sensei. He would deliberately take in slow deep breaths as he adjusted his body to the frigid morning air. The air itself felt colder than inside the village, of course due to the wide open fields and lack of windbreakers. Although he wore the village's basic thermal lining (Gomu Hada), Hizou could tell his recent resilience training had begun to pay off. He kept quiet, focusing his energy on the path forward as his sensei spoke about their Kekkai Genkai.

"I think I would find it quite educational. The skill of cellular control is an interesting one that even I as a non-iyro nin should be in awe of. I'll keep that in mind though" Hizou replied.

As the two approached the small farm, Hizou once again fell silent to let his sensei talk with their acquaintance. It seemed to the genin that Masahiko had this training planned out for a well beforehand when they talked to the simple pig farmer. Hizou was suddenly taken a back as Masahiko asked him about his sensory training, somewhat surprising the boy. "Umm. I've had a little practice. My mother taught me some of the basics, and I've been attempting to hone it within the village. But currently, I only see faint fuzzy blotches... nothing like what I've heard can be accomplished" Hizou answered.

Notes:
-237-
needle:haystack | hizou Feb 20, 2023 4:17:20 GMT -5
nue masahiko
it is what it is.
nue masahiko Avatar
groupSnow Shinobi

FEAR IS THE MIND-KILLER

Hizou elaborated briefly on his experience, which was in essence: not much. Still, a faint understanding of chakra sensory was better than none whatsoever. It was a start.

"Very well,” Masahiko said, crouching down beside one of the pigs. He struck an odd tableau, this genteel and delicate man kneeling in the snow and dirt and muck beside a rotund, snuffling pig as big as he was. "For the first stage of the exercise, you’ll witness the merge, and have full knowledge of which pig I’m utilizing as a vessel. With the prior knowledge, take hold of your chakra and extend your senses, and attempt to understand the difference between the pig’s chakra signature and my own.” He smiled briefly in reassurance. "If you don’t get it right away, that’s fine. I’ll be quite comfortable, and the pig will be unbothered after the initial merge. Now, if you’re ready—”

And because no one was ever truly ready for such a sight, Masahiko began the process. He opted for the slow version, a long saga as his flesh and blood melted into that of the pig, which grunted and whined in response. It wasn’t pretty.

After five long minutes, it was done, and Masahiko peered out at Hizou through the creature’s eyes.

LAIKA OF THQ