a top-priority mission | toru

compose a reply
a top-priority mission | toruSept 21, 2022 14:03:06 GMT -5
yamaguchi daichi
however long it takes.
yamaguchi daichi Avatar
groupMist Shinobi
age 17 years old birthday september 23 rank chuunin occupation mizukage bodyguard

I COULD EAT THE WORLD RAW

[In the grey early morning hours of August 5th, +8SD, a teen boy slips into the darkness of the Kage Tower.

(He’s there every day, his tousled black hair and sharply pressed tunic a common sight around the tower, and so no one doubts or questions when he lets himself into the tower, up the stairs, into the Mizukage’s office with a small package in hand. The cloak-and-dagger is just for fun—a secret mission, specially assigned. By himself and to himself, but critical nonetheless.)

It’s a difficult thing, arriving at Lord Mizukage’s office before Lord Mizukage himself; the Kage is an early riser and a workaholic, and the boy has had to meticulously plan this outing in order to ensure his timely arrival. His plan works out: the office is empty. The boy breathes a faint sigh of relief.

The mission takes only a moment. The package is deposited upon the desk, a small box wrapped in silver paper and tied off with a navy blue bow. In front of the box is placed a small note, crisply folded in half and tucked inside an envelope. The note and envelope are written on plain parchment paper, but the paper itself is rich, thick and textured and clearly high-quality. The penmanship is simple, the clear, careful lines of a hand well-versed in drawing complex characters.

He checks the presentation; adjusts the angle of the package. When the sun rises and the light filters in from the eastern window, it will shine on the glossy silver paper like a spotlight.

The boy slips back out into the mist, and takes his dogs out for a run.]

Lord Mizukage,

I figured you wouldn’t want to do anything big, but—it’s your birthday. I wanted to get you something, at least. It’s nothing fancy, but I thought you might enjoy this.

I know you won’t take the day off, but I hope you get some time to yourself today. You deserve it.

Happy birthday, my lord.

— D.

(P.S. Don’t worry, I already checked everything for potential security concerns.)

[Next to the signature is a small, surprisingly cute drawing of a little six-legged dog, a couple of quick strokes denoting a wagging tail.

The package, when opened, contains two items inside: the first, a small wooden box of green tea leaves, carefully packaged to retain their freshness. Carved onto the lid of the box is a single complex character, the signature of a craftsman local to Arashi no Kuni.

Beneath the box, wrapped in paper, is a teacup. It’s a traditional style in a rich navy blue, and when lifted it feels heavier than it should be. The same character is painted onto the bottom of the cup, and rolled up inside of it is a small note:
Retains heat for up to eight hours.

The cup itself seems minimalistic at first glance, but further inspection reveals the slightest of decorations painstakingly painted in sparing brushstrokes at the base of the cup: a tiny white heron taking flight.]

LAIKA OF THQ

tactician has written 260 posts