An Eye for an Eye

compose a reply
An Eye for an EyeJan 16, 2023 21:08:41 GMT -5
Uchiha Iwane
Together, we can make it. Alone? Meh. I wouldn’t take my chances.
Uchiha Iwane Avatar
groupnull
age 13 years old birthday 3/15 rank Academy Student occupation Student
[newclass=.iwane]width:350px;padding:25px;text-align:justify;background-color:#ffffff;font:13px Open Sans;line-height:20px;color:#000000;[/newclass][newclass=.iwane:hover]margin-top:0px;opacity:1;-webkit-transition-duration:.5s;transition-duration:.5s;-moz-transition-duration:.5s;[/newclass][newclass=.iwane b]color:#337733;[/newclass][newclass=.iwane i]color:#687768;[/newclass][googlefont=Open+Sans]
[attr="class","iwane"]His visit to the library last week didn’t prove to be as useful as he’d hoped it would be. It turned out that trying to learn more about chakra wasn’t something Iwane felt comfortable enough to do by himself. He had approached his instructor hoping that he could get advanced lessons ahead of time, but it seemed his luck was out there as well.

A bit bummed and more eager than most to train ahead of time, he found himself stuck in an odd limbo of wanting to do more and being required to sit and wait for the topic to come up in his studies. Iwane was impatient though, so he decided for himself that he would set out for his own teacher.

Most would look for assistance in their own clan, but Iwane wanted perspective over anything, and he knew of one other clan in the village that would rival his own: the Hyuuga. For this reason, he sought out their eyes to challenge his own, and perhaps he would learn more than he bargained for in terms of combat.

Iwane found himself staring at the gates of the Hyuuga compound. He’d not asked to be here and wondered if he was even allowed to step foot inside without some kind of hall pass-type thing or not, but he didn’t bother to check. What would they do, kill him? He laughed at the thought. Of course, they wouldn’t.

Boldly, he started to step through, but about a half step through he found himself being pulled back as if an ominous chakra was staring him down from afar. His eyes jolted around in a desperate attempt to find it, but he saw nothing.

Iwane lowered his foot and took a deep breath, choosing to stand firm at the gate, but neither enter nor leave the premises. Another deep breath and he yelled out, "Hey! I There’s gotta be somebody here that can help me with my chakras! Come on! What’dya say?!”

Mint has written 13 posts
An Eye for an EyeFeb 3, 2023 5:33:11 GMT -5
Hyūga Hitomi
Nindo Goes Here: Edit Profile > Personal > Most Recent Status
Hyūga Hitomi Avatar
groupLeaf Shinobi
age 25 years old birthday 21st March rank Special Jounin occupation Academy Instructor

Hyūga Hitomi

A small flare of chakra had drawn her attention, only really noticeable to someone who was familiar with the clan guard's signals. It wasn't urgent, but it did request the presence of someone higher up in the clan's hierarchy, and as the closest such individual Hitomi made her way to the main gate, her every movement calculated to demonstrate the elegance of the clan's 'Hime', her expression equal parts neutral and stern.

Nodding to the guard, she stepped out into view and looked out across the opening to take note of whatever had drawn her here. Pausing for the briefest moments to raise an eyebrow at the guard who had called for back up for a literal child, Hitomi stepped out of the compound to look down at the boy that had so boldly called for a Hyūga, her eyebrow raising slightly more as she realised just which child it was too. She may have been new to being an Academy Instructor, and he may not have been in her class regularly, but like any good shinobi she had memorised the names and faces of all the individuals she was going to have to interact with.

"Iwane-kun, would you care to explain just why it was you felt coming all the way to the Hyūga clan compound and start yelling would be a good idea?" she asked, eyebrow raising again as she looked at the young Uchiha. There were a number of layers to her question; why are you here? why are you here? and why are you here? It was certainly an odd place for an Uchiha to want to visit.

Word Count: 272
Tags:

last edit by Hyūga Hitomi on Feb 3, 2023 5:33:32 GMT -5
Eleri has written 78 posts
An Eye for an EyeFeb 3, 2023 22:35:57 GMT -5
Uchiha Iwane
Uchiha Iwane Avatar
groupnull
[newclass=.iwane]width:350px;padding:25px;text-align:justify;background-color:#ffffff;font:13px Open Sans;line-height:20px;color:#000000;[/newclass][newclass=.iwane:hover]margin-top:0px;opacity:1;-webkit-transition-duration:.5s;transition-duration:.5s;-moz-transition-duration:.5s;[/newclass][newclass=.iwane b]color:#337733;[/newclass][newclass=.iwane i]color:#687768;[/newclass][googlefont=Open+Sans]
[attr="class","iwane"]A familiar face came into view, one that caused a slight chill to form in Iwane’s spine. It was almost as if he’d just gotten put into detention for the first time, and while he didn’t necessarily feel like he’d done anything wrong to deserve it, he could feel the overwhelming dread of it nonetheless.

Before him was the raised eyebrow of his Academy Instructor, Hyuuga Hitomi. Her beautiful long hair shifted as she made her presence, and her eyes were just as captivating as they were mysterious. Iwane found her voice stern, although somewhat soothing. He quickly straightened his posture, a cold sweat on his temple.

"I’m just uhh looking to improve my skills …outside of school.” He found it difficult to express himself in the situation, and probably sounded more chaotic and up to no good than genuinely curious and willing to learn. He meant it, though.

Iwane bit the side of his lower lip as his blue eyes strayed for a moment. "Well, I guess I was just thinking that since the Hyuuga were so good with their eyes, maybe somehow I could find a way to use mine better. You know…like a training partner or something.” It was truly the first place he could think to look since no one in his own clan seemed to be available at the moment.

"No one’s really around to help me out today…maybeeee you got a minute?” His eyes brightened and a cheeky smile covered his face.

An Eye for an EyeFeb 4, 2023 7:36:05 GMT -5
Hyūga Hitomi
Hyūga Hitomi Avatar
groupLeaf Shinobi
age 25 years old birthday 21st March rank Special Jounin occupation Academy Instructor

Hyūga Hitomi

"Laudable though it is to improve oneself outside of class Iwane-kun, it doesn't exactly forgive walking so brazenly into the compound of another clan uninvited," she replied, eyebrow still firmly razed. A flick of her hand had the guard relaxing, though she could almost feel the man's Byakugan staring a hole through both herself and the young Uchiha. They were all a little tense nowadays, what with the state of the clan being what it was, but that wasn't something she wanted any of the children to worry about.

"You came to the Hyūga to help with your doujutsu?" she asked, surprised but hiding it. Surely the Uchiha were a better help for such a thing, their abilities might have been similar in terms of being based around vision and perception, but there was a distinct difference between what they were able to do. "What of your own kinsmen? Surely there's someone amongst the Uchiha who could help?"

Should he protest, she would hold up a hand to still it, "I am not saying no, but it is somewhat unexpected..." she squinted slightly at the youngster, a mock look of thoughtful disapproval, "you are not trying to prank us are you? There are better targets for such things than the Hyūga Iwane-kun... not the Inuzuka of course, they would smell you coming. The Yamanaka have a lot of sensors, so they're out... Hatake isn't worth the risk, and the Akimichi are too nice to deserve it..." she hummed lightly, finger coming to her mouth as in thought, "Nara too smart, though might not be bothered chasing you.... perhaps the Senju, or the Sarutobi. They might be good choices in prank targets, though you didn't hear it from me."

Her expression might have been serious, her tone calm and even as any Hyūga could hope to be, but internally she was snickering at her own little 'prank', minor though it was.

Word Count: 320
Tags:

An Eye for an EyeFeb 4, 2023 14:45:29 GMT -5
Uchiha Iwane
Uchiha Iwane Avatar
groupnull
[attr="class","iwane"]The boy dug the ball of his foot into the dirt before him, his cheeks turning a bit red in embarrassment. What had originally sounded like a good idea was now earning him what he felt to be a questionably dumb one. Hitomi was right, just what did he think he was going to get away with. Maybe he hadn’t really thought at all.

Iwane would lower his head into a bow, "Sorry, sensei. It won’t happen again…” his voice was a lot less enthusiastic than it had been just moments before.

"Everyone seems to be busy today, or I’d have asked them,” he said, answering her question. He acted a bit surprised at her response, and was confused. "A…prank?” He cocked his head, trying to fathom what exactly someone could do to even try and prank an entire clan in a situation like this. She went on further, and it would be quite obvious that Iwane had no idea what she was talking about, and that his intentions were both genuine and innocent. The thought couldn’t even cross his mind about trying to "prank” a clan.

The young man shook his head, still sorely perplexed with Hitomi’s serious response. The light hum in her voice was subtle to Iwane’s ears, though he caught a glimpse of it and then immediately stomped his foot down. "Hey! You’re messing with me, aren’t you sensei?!” He pointed to her with airy frustration.

"I suppose I deserve that though, you got a point…guess if I did that to anyone else I’d have been drug away, huh?” He laughed it off a little, but the thought remained for a moment longer.

There was a pause, "Soooo…you’ll help me out then, huh?” He smiled brightly again. "I can treat you to lunch or something later…if ya want…I’d feel bad taking up your day if you had other plans,” he admitted.

An Eye for an EyeFeb 7, 2023 6:09:26 GMT -5
Hyūga Hitomi
Hyūga Hitomi Avatar
groupLeaf Shinobi

Hyūga Hitomi

It took a lot not to laugh at Iwane's embarassed reaction, the boy was unfortunately a cute little thing and that made his responses more amusing. It helped that he seemed to be an earnest boy, not a tricky little troublemaker like some, which would have made his actions more annoying than endearing. She did frown a little as he indicated that there was no one to help him. Surely if it was just a matter of one day he wouldn't so eagerly look for another clan's aid, did he truly have no mentor within the Uchiha clan?

She didn't quite respond to the accusation of messing with him, instead raising an eyebrow again as he offered to buy her lunch. That... was too easy.

"Are you trying to ask me out on a date now Iwane-kun? I'm flattered, and you are cute, but I am your sensei, and much older than you..." she drawled out, seemingly unimpressed for a few moments before reaching out to ruffle his dark hair and lean in whispering directly into his ear, "I'm definitely messing with you. You don't need to try and bribe me, I signed up to be an Academy teacher for a reason~" the lightest hint of some floral scent floating around her. 

With that she stepped back and gestured for the boy to follow her, the Hyūga leading Iwane towards the nearest public training ground she could grant him access to. She had thought about going into the clan compound, but people were still pretty twitchy in there, and she wasn't sure the political ramifications of an Uchiha in the Hyūga compound would bring.

As they walked, she would turn to glance at the boy, "so what were you thinking you needed help with Iwane-kun? If you had just wanted a partner," here she resisted the urge to make another joke about dating, "then you wouldn't have gone looking for someone older. What was your goal? A tangible one, not the general 'get better with my eyes' one."

Word Count: 338
Tags:

An Eye for an EyeFeb 11, 2023 0:10:38 GMT -5
Uchiha Iwane
Uchiha Iwane Avatar
groupnull
[attr="class","iwane"]Iwane quite literally jumped at Hitomi’s response. That wasn’t at all what he meant. The thought hadn’t even crossed his mind, but now that she mentioned it, that could have easily been taken out of context. His cheeks turned beat red and the clearly flustered young man made an x with his arms, holding them out between his sensei and himself with his eyes clenched shut so tightly they turned white. "That….that’s not what I meant! Not that I…not that you…what I’m saying is I just thought that…”

He felt the ruffling of his hair and his eyes opened slowly, lifting upward to see her face learning towards his own, passing by his ear with a whisper. His face was still beat red, and the heat emanating from it boiled the tips of his ears.

Hitomi made a point though. It was technically her job, right? Iwane wondered if it was her job outside of the normal Academy hours though, that is where it made him feel bad to ask for additional help. "If…you’re sure…” he said, stepping back to gain respectful distance.

The goal he had in mind wasn’t much of a secret. What was a secret was that he already possessed one tomoe. For someone his age, this was exceedingly rare. Iwane wasn’t sure he wanted his sensei to know, at least not yet. He pondered for a moment about just how he would be able to get a better understanding of his eyes without actually needing to show her much, if anything. It all went back to what he wanted before: chakra control.

"Well, I’ve always found I learn better against someone that’s an actual challenge…” He didn’t want to sound cocky because he certainly wasn’t, but it wasn’t necessarily a fair fight either with his tomoe against others his age. "Someone I can go all out on instead of needing to hold back…but I really want to learn more about chakra and controlling it.” He gave Hitomi a light shrug. "I’ve been told that mastering this can really help with how long I can use my Sharingan in the future. Isn’t it the same with the Byakugan, or all Doujutsu for that matter?”

An Eye for an EyeFeb 15, 2023 7:14:48 GMT -5
Hyūga Hitomi
Hyūga Hitomi Avatar
groupLeaf Shinobi

Hyūga Hitomi

Such an earnest boy, his reactions were immensely amusing to the Hyūga. Being a teacher definitely had its ups and downs, but the ability to mess with such energetic individuals was certainly a highlight. Leading him into the training area, one of the many generic ones you could find dotted around the village, Hitomi came to a rest in the center and listened as the boy spoke, a neutral expression on her face. 

"Chakra control is certainly incredibly useful for anything, as an Iryo-nin I require such precise chakra control as to manipulate the human body at the cellular level, for example. It would certainly help you as an Uchia, doujutsu do tend to be rather delicate. But, if you're wanting to practice your chakra control it's not necessarily about sparring Iwane-kun," she explained, "in fact, most basic chakra control exercises are solo activities. You should have already done the leaf sticking exercise in class, and if you wanted a real challenge you could move to coins, and then small stones."

Looking him over briefly, she sighed, "but I get the feeling sitting still that long would be difficult for you at the moment, so we may as well tire you out a little first." He would undoubtedly notice the bulging veins around her eyes as she activated the Byakugan, her attention scanning over his body with a medic's practiced ease, cataloguing his general health. A thickening of the chakra pathways to his eyes drew her focus, and while she didn't react, that told her something rather interesting.

"Alright Iwane-kun, I'll monitor your chakra use, you can go 'all out' on me whenever you like," she gave him a slight smirk as she stood there, waiting to see what the Uchiha would do next.

Word Count: 294
Tags:
An Eye for an EyeFeb 16, 2023 17:15:11 GMT -5
Uchiha Iwane
Uchiha Iwane Avatar
groupnull
[attr="class","iwane"]The boy’s eyes widened a bit as Hitomi mentioned the requirement for such delicate chakra control in order to be a medical shinobi. He’d admit to himself it was quite surprising, and it also sounded very interesting. Iwane didn’t have a direct interest in becoming a medical shinobi, but he was always appreciative of their hard work and clear dedication to the practice. He imagined that in a lot of ways it took more work than a standard shinobi such as himself. The path seemed to be more demanding of the mind just as much as it did the body, and he couldn’t really fathom the work that they had to put themselves through to get to where they were.

He listened to her lecture, shrugging awkwardly with a cheeky smile. She’d called him out on that one. Iwane did a much better job learning while…on the job, so to speak. Sitting around reading books wasn’t the best way to have something stick with him, so any chance he could get to actually practice the work went miles farther.

The Uchiha boy would nod, stretching for a few moments before readying his stance. He had not seen the Byakugan active before, but the bulging veins at her temples were unsettling, to say the least. He felt something off like he was being watched by almost an entirely different person but it was only his sensei that stood before him.

Iwane took a deep breath, and once ready he would charge forward, sliding to the ground before reaching her and performing a sweeping kick. He would then follow up with a spinning kick to try and prevent her from properly landing or messing up her balance upon landing. Even during this movement, Iwane was watching her closely, somehow still able to track her during the spin much better than others might have been able. To his knowledge, all of the other Uchiha had the same benefit, but perhaps there was something more to his eyes that Hitomi had not yet seen, and Iwane had only guessed, but not confirmed.

An Eye for an EyeFeb 19, 2023 1:24:11 GMT -5
Hyūga Hitomi
Hyūga Hitomi Avatar
groupLeaf Shinobi

Hyūga Hitomi

An earnest boy indeed, Iwane charged in without any hesitation. No tricks, no misdirections, just a straightforward assault. If she remembered correctly, he was considered quite skilled in taijutsu compared to his peers, surpassed only by his ninjutsu aptitude. Still, Hitomi was also rather skilled at taijutsu, and even if she wasn't, she was a significantly older and more experienced shinobi. Which meant that to her, it was very obvious what the boy was attempting to do, and even easier to avoid it. Not to say that she was going to try and discourage him by making it seem too easy for herself.

Sidestepping his sweeping kick, Hitomi was watching his chakra flow more carefully than his body, noticing how the energy flowed more towards his eyes than was normal... at least, for someone without a doujutsu. She was getting more and more confident that if Iwane hadn't unlocked the sharingan yet, he was on the verge of it at the least.

His spinning kick was caught by the woman with one hand, Hitomi moving with his spin to throw him away and see how he responded, her focus still primarily on the way he was moving his chakra even through such basic physical combat. Settling back into a ready stance, she gestured a little with one hand, indicating that Iwane should attack again.

The goal was to tire him out a bit after all, and potentially help him figure out his chakra control in the process. Watching the energy at work would help with that.

Word Count: 286
Tags:
An Eye for an EyeFeb 24, 2023 23:32:04 GMT -5
Uchiha Iwane
Uchiha Iwane Avatar
groupnull
[attr="class","iwane"]Iwane’s mentality was and always had been to get straight to the point. There wasn’t any beating around the bush. The faster he got to his goals, the more time he had to spend doing whatever else he wanted. It also meant he could be there for his family whenever they would have needed it. As much as he didn’t want to push himself too hard, and there were certain things he wanted to lounge around and enjoy, even he could see the benefits of working hard early in his life.

There was no change in Iwane’s expression as Hitomi caught his sweeping kick with little ease. There was an uneasy focus about him that contradicted his typical goofy behavior. Perhaps, he was just able to separate himself in these situations, but it was truly a flip of a switch to see him fight to where he no longer truly resembled the same, happy boy from only seconds ago.

The way Hitomi responded to his attack, did cause him to spin away, but she didn’t seem to want to follow up with her own attack. Iwane would take advantage of this and chose to continue to attack again by quickly recovering and leaping back toward her with a flurry of kicks and punches. He would try and leave her little time to recover from blocks or dodges.

He could feel himself utilizing a heavy amount of chakra, but he was doing the best that he could to use it appropriately and not waste a drop. Everything he did need a reason and it needed to be precise. His eyes watched her closely, oddly in their blue form as if he could see more than he was allowed to.

An Eye for an EyeFeb 25, 2023 8:31:07 GMT -5
Hyūga Hitomi
Hyūga Hitomi Avatar
groupLeaf Shinobi

Hyūga Hitomi

It was a very different Iwane who kept attacking her, and while Hitomi could have buried him in the dirt pretty easily if she wanted to, that was hardly the goal. Any teacher who would do that wasn't a very good teacher at all. Instead she reacted to his attacks in a way that would lead him into better patterns and movements. Dodging in a way that felt like it was only just faster than the boy, she would knock aside poorly thrown punches and gently shove him off balance at points where he was unstable.

In this way, she hoped to encourage good practices while allowing him to work out his energy and hopefully bring his chakra to a point where he could have an easier time controlling it. She could see the way it pulsed to his eyes, the flow growing stronger and stronger even as she continued to push him.

Every so often she would move faster than he should have been able to follow, repositioning herself into a threat position and watching to see what he would do when her hand suddenly appeared near his face, or in a knife's edge near his throat. She still wasn't going top speed, but she was trying to gauge where his outermost limits were.

"You are still burning through chakra too fast Iwane-kun. You can't let it leak out, especially like this, but be careful, you can damage yourself if you use it to reinforce yourself too much," she instructed, carefully watching to make sure that didn't happen. There was a technique that allowed for massive enhancement of strength using your chakra, but Iwane was nowhere near that. Hitomi herself wasn't even sure how to pull off such a feat.

Word Count: 291
Tags:

An Eye for an EyeMar 10, 2023 19:33:52 GMT -5
Uchiha Iwane
Uchiha Iwane Avatar
groupnull
[newclass=.iwanepost]text-align:justify; font:400 12px/18px open sans;[/newclass][newclass=.iwanepost b]color: var(--slaccent);[/newclass][newclass=.iwanepost i]color: var(--slaccent); opacity: 0.6;[/newclass][newclass=.iwanepost s]color: var(--slaccent); opacity: 0.6;[/newclass][newclass=.iwanepost u]color: var(--slaccent); opacity: 0.4;[/newclass][googlefont=Open+Sans]
[attr="class","iwanepost"]Iwane took a deep breath, resetting his focus to try and savor the use of his chakra as instructed by HItomi. "Right!” he said, confirming that he understood. There was a fire in his voice and in his eyes, and for a second, though just barely a second, Hitomi might notice that the veins deep within would bulge and then resume their normal size.

Once he felt ready to charge again, Iwane let out a small battle cry, yelling as he charged in. This time, he when with a flurry of kicks. He kept them consistently strong but paced out enough that he could conserve his chakra as he powered through the fight. Iwane did his best to weave through and past potential counterattacks by his instructor.

At more than one point, he could tell if this had been a real fight, he would have died. She had been using her hand in such a way to mimic a knife. A slice here. A stab there. Iwane would have been gutted on the battlefield. Granted, he was going for concentration and muscle memory now. It wasn’t about the reflexes, at least not at this moment and he knew that. If he could just get control over how much chakra was leaking out of his system unnecessarily, he could then begin to focus on the strength, reflex, and overall technique.

Despite being aware of this and knowing his position, it still irked Iwane. He felt like he wasn’t strong enough. He would have died. Once. Twice…Ten times over…in this fight alone. He could feel himself pushing harder and harder, though his concentration on his chakra was not at all worsening, thankfully.

As the flurries of strikes came to an end, Iwane flipped backward and put some distance between himself and Hitomi. He wiped the sweat from his brow, though quickly noticed that the vision in his eyes was quite blurry. He squinted, forcing them to refocus and in doing so they flickered from blue to red, revealing the one Tomoe he had earned in secret.

Iwane quickly blinked several times, shying away. It was none of her damn business how he got it, but he knew he couldn’t fool her either. He pretended nothing had happened, and again blue eyes shone fiercely. His hands remained up, defensive now in preparation for something to happen. Whether that was combative or a question about his eyes…he honestly feared both.

last edit by Uchiha Iwane on Mar 11, 2023 3:07:47 GMT -5
An Eye for an EyeMar 21, 2023 5:53:21 GMT -5
Hyūga Hitomi
Hyūga Hitomi Avatar
groupLeaf Shinobi

Hyūga Hitomi

Hitomi successfully tried very hard not to laugh at Iwane's battle cry... it was kinda adorable, like a lion cub attempting to roar. She'd have to tell him not to do something like that in the future, because it was a dead giveaway of your attack, but for the moment it wasn't super important. The exchange went on between them as she had expected, the boy trying his best to hit her, and she gently trying to adjust his movements mid-fight to improve his general skills.

It was the sudden flash in his eyes that had her hold still, moving from a combat stance into the more passive Hyuga ready stance, her expression relatively blank, though her stare was somewhat more intimidating due to the thick veins around her eyes that indicated the active Byakugan.

"Iwane-kun," she began, ignoring his defensiveness in favour of being what she felt was a proper teacher, "you would benefit more from keeping that going if you can. Reactivate them please." Iwane would find no questions, no probing, and perhaps equally importantly, no clear desire to tell anyone else about the situation. To Hitomi, it was fairly clear he wanted to hide his doujutsu, and he wasn't going to respond well to questions, so she felt it better to just show him she wasn't inclined to kick up a fuss.

"This training session can be just between us, but please take it seriously" 

Word Count: 238
Tags: