Clear Skies [C-Rank Mission | Yamanaka Itsuki]

compose a reply
Clear Skies [C-Rank Mission | Yamanaka Itsuki]May 18, 2023 5:19:24 GMT -5
Honō Kojirou
I have an entire world filled with reasons to become stronger!
Honō Kojirou Avatar
groupGrass Shinobi
age 18 years old birthday March 17th rank Chūnin occupation Academy Instructor
A while after his return to Kusagakure, Kojirou underwent many… strange events. Getting jumped by Futago twins, fumbling one-handed seals, many things. But the latter was a heavy topic – he’d also promised to help out Ahma, and to do that, he’d need to talk with the Lady. Y’know, the Lady of the Grass, Lady Kanoh! But he also needed to open his schedule in order to do so, and it involved completing another mission that had popped up recently… one that involved the very, very strange whereabouts of some messenger birds that had disappeared upon passing the Land of Wind border towards Konohagakure.

Kojirou had geared up for the occasion with his classic, red haori, armor vest underneath, the Katana Case strapped to his back and his katana sheathed neatly on his left hip. And as usual, this mission involved Konohagakure, so he was awaiting a fellow Konoha-nin to accompany him. The meet-up would be right outside of Kusagakure’s gate, where they’d have a slightly shorter route towards the Land of Wind.

In order to pass by time, Kojirou held one hand up and kept performing the half-Tiger seal. Then, he attempted to weave the half-Dragon… wait, was that the half-Dragon or the half-Horse seal? He couldn’t tell at first, but upon doing so, he tried to manifest the Lava Shuriken Technique in his hand – unlike the first time he tried this with Ahma, lava actually did manifest in his hand from the get-go…

But it was in no way globular. It leaked off of his fingers without form, much to his chagrin. "T-This is so hard… maybe I need the mirror again,” he mumbled in slight frustration over how difficult this trick would be to master. At this rate, it’d take much longer than he expected.
Koji has written 364 posts
Clear Skies [C-Rank Mission | Yamanaka Itsuki]May 18, 2023 7:11:26 GMT -5
Yamanaka Itsuki
Nindo Goes Here: Edit Profile > Personal > Most Recent Status
Yamanaka Itsuki Avatar
groupLeaf Shinobi
age 13 years old birthday 9/18 rank Chuunin occupation Barrier Corps

Yamanaka Itsuki

Itsuki was a little surprised that he was being allowed to go on this mission by himself as a representative for Konoha. Perhaps one of his mentors had decided he was trustworthy enough to allow out, or maybe it had slipped the radar of whoever was running the mission desk at the time. Either way, he had packed his things into a backpack and made the trek towards Kusagakure where he was supposed to meet up with another shinobi from their allied village to go and resolve the problem of missing carrier birds.

He'd walked and hitched rides over the last few days to get here, his rather intense sensory skills ensuring that he was never caught off guard by the things around him. Eventually though the other village became visible, and though he knew he wouldn't be stepping foot within it, he was somewhat curious about another Hidden Village. Though calling it Hidden was a bit of a stretch, considering he'd been able to see it for almost an entire day of travel. Still, if it worked for them then he supposed it was none of his business.

Focusing a bit on the various chakra signatures that he could feel, he zeroed in on one that seemed distracted but weighed with the sort of heaviness that came with 'waiting' to his senses. Wandering towards that signature, Itsuki eventually found himself coming up to someone engrossed in... was that lava? He hadn't expected to see such a thing, and for a moment he blinked slightly as the lava dripped through the boy's hand.

"Ne, what are you doing?" 

Word Count: 268
Tags:
Mission Count: 2/15

last edit by Yamanaka Itsuki on May 29, 2023 7:29:14 GMT -5
Eleri has written 409 posts
Clear Skies [C-Rank Mission | Yamanaka Itsuki]May 18, 2023 10:24:37 GMT -5
Honō Kojirou
Honō Kojirou Avatar
groupGrass Shinobi
Darn it. He couldn’t quite give his Jutsu the right form yet… one-handed seals sure were next to excruciating to get right. Kojirou’s bloated eyes were clear proof of how tedious this sort of ‘passive’ training regimen was; in the end, he was able to manifest lava from his hand, and that was good! However, the lava was merely just a glob that melted off, charred the ground and became tar or cement – this Jutsu that he was practicing was meant to shape lava as shurikens, so he couldn’t stop his training until he was able to shape a shuriken or two via one-handed seals.

But some handseals just felt so out of place if doing them with one hand… like, how was he going to perform the Hare seal?! Or the Rat seal? Those were asymmetric seals! So was the Dog seal, and technically the Ram and Monkey seal too!

"AH! O-Uh, hi!” Kojirou greeted after spacing out for a moment as he was addressed by the younger boy who arrived, "J-Just training… I’m trying to weave handseals, but with only one hand.” Okay, okay, now that he had a curious audience, he couldn’t afford to fall flat! Otherwise, he’d bring even more shame to the Honō family by acting like he could do more than he was capable of!

… But upon weaving what looked like gang signs once more, another small glob of thin lava emerged from between his fingers. No solid form, only fluid. "… I-It’s harder than you think! Just give me a little more time, I-I’ll get it right…” he protested with tears building up at the corners of his eyes, "… Wait, you have cyan bangs… ohhhhhhhhh! You must be Itsuki – I’m Honō Kojirou, ready to go to Land of Wind when you are.” Kojirou would realize that this was his teammate from Konohagakure by the description he got from the higher-ups – cyan-greenish bangs weaving into dark hair.

Kojirou himself would’ve been described with dark-oak hair weaving into crimson spikes at the outlines, giving him a more majestic and lion-like look than his demeanor, behavior and accent portrayed. He carried his Katana Case proudly strapped over his back, and he bowed in respect to his teammate with a smile.
Clear Skies [C-Rank Mission | Yamanaka Itsuki]May 29, 2023 7:39:10 GMT -5
Yamanaka Itsuki
Yamanaka Itsuki Avatar
groupLeaf Shinobi

Yamanaka Itsuki

"Ooh, one handed seals? That's pretty neat~" the young Yamanaka exclaimed, a thoughtful look on his face, "maybe that's something I should look into. It'd definitely surprise people!" He watched as his contact tried again, only to make a sad noodle of lava that didn't really achieve much but still! One handed seals! Also, LAVA! He was getting to see one of the strange elemental kekkai genkai in action and that was pretty darn cool.

Eventually the older boy realised just who he was, and he couldn't help but grin slightly at that. Even if he was a little put out that his description had been passed on, he couldn't really expect that his appearance was going to be a surprise for the person that he was going to be working with.

"Yep, I'm Itsuki, from Konohagakure," the small Genin said, deliberately avoiding bringing up his clan name, and bowing back in return for the other's politeness, "or, if you prefer, you could call me Jugemu Jugemu Gokōnosurikire Kaijarisuigyo no Suigyōmatsu Unraimatsu Fūraimatsu Kūnerutokoroni Sumutokoro Yaburakōjino Burakōji Paipopaipo Paipo no Shūringan Shūringan no Gūrindai Gūrindai no Ponpokopī no Ponpokonā no Chōkyūmei no Chōsuke~" he somehow managed to rattle off the name with ease, and the other boy may recognise it from his fight with Miroru in the recent Chuunin exams. Itsuki had passed, thankfully, but he still needed a bit of experience as a Genin while his paperwork for another promotion processed. He suspected Tomomi-san was stalling... but anyway, there were other important things to resolve!

"Ne, Koujirou-nii, how come you're carrying so many swords?" he asked curiously, even as he began to walk off in the direction of their mission, playing up the cuteness while subtly trying to start up the mission. It'd be interesting to see if Kojirou would pick up on the dichotomy that was Yamanaka Itsuki.

Word Count: 310
Tags:
Mission Count: 4/15

Clear Skies [C-Rank Mission | Yamanaka Itsuki]Jun 2, 2023 12:18:44 GMT -5
Honō Kojirou
Honō Kojirou Avatar
groupGrass Shinobi
One-handed seals would definitely surprise people. Not many people had mastered it, too – he’d be a damn menace of a swordsman should he master this technique, being able to wield a sword as well as weave handseals at the same time! How cool was that?!

Now, Kojirou wasn’t so terrible with names, but once Itsuki revealed to him his name – as, you know, Itsuki from Konohagakure (wondering why he didn’t specify clan, maybe something personal) – Kojirou would nod in approval of a name as simple as that. However, Itsuki swung a left hook from the blind side with the other name of his being Jugemu Jugemu Gokoroshiki something…

Kojirou’s face blanked towards him. Like, his face lost detail and texture, simply becoming a poorly made self-portrait in comparison to his usual look. He had that… that long as hell name… just like the girl from Iwa who spat fire at him. Or Miroru and her weird antics.

… Was this a trend? Did he miss anything?

"… I-I can’t remember all of that,” he admitted with a sweat trickling down his face, "B-But anyway, I’ll just call you Itsuki. Mission awaits!” Blooming up with energy once more, Kojirou would shrug off that embarrassing moment and begin their travel towards Kaze no Kuni, waving farewell to his old, grass-covered home village… for now.

"Uh? Oh, that’s…” Kojirou pondered over Itsuki’s question about the Katana Case Holder, and its number of katanas to boot, "I just bought them. They can be launched from the Case Holder here, but… I haven’t really… tried that yet…” His voice grew quieter and quieter as he took in the futility in carrying equipment that he wasn’t used to.

"But the more the merrier. You can launch these swords out like rain, simply by using basic Fūinjutsu! Maybe that can come in handy – oh, and it also carries dinner.” The bamboo forests of Nohara no Kuni were a marvel to walk through, but they’d begin to meet solid rock biome after a while. "… Wait, you were at the Chūnin Exams too, right? I was, too! How’d it go? Were you promoted? I wish I was, but… I think I got the lowest score of all. At least, maybe compared to all who made it to Round 3…”
Clear Skies [C-Rank Mission | Yamanaka Itsuki]Jun 3, 2023 8:15:03 GMT -5
Yamanaka Itsuki
Yamanaka Itsuki Avatar
groupLeaf Shinobi

Yamanaka Itsuki

Pouting slightly at the older boy for not playing along with the name, but since it clearly wasn't done in a condescending way he didn't get too bothered with it. Instead he continued his walk towards their destination, turning to look at the katana holder in further curiousity as they walked. It seemed that the other boy hadn't really practiced using it properly yet, which did seem to be asking for a problem if they went into a combat situation... and yet they were a few days travel away from their destination, so there was at least a little time.

"I can help you practice with it when we stop to camp Kojirou-nii" he stated with a smile, "I'm not really a swordsman, but having a partner should help~" he paused for a moment with furrowed brows, walking backwards to stare at the older genin "wait, you said it has dinner in it?" That was certainly not something he had expected, surely carrying food in your weapon was wrong in some way... right? Mi-chi would probably find it genius to be honest...

Shrugging, he turned back around to continue walking, "Yeah, I was there, I passed. Got the third highest result. But I was told I needed to wait to have a promotion processed, since I had literally only just graduated the academy and went straight into the exam..." he pouted at this. If he was capable of being a Chuunin what did it matter? Grumbling slightly, he'd fall a bit silent as they travelled.

He'd answer Kojirou if he had questions, but otherwise would keep fairly to himself until it was time to make camp for the night.

Word Count: 279
Tags:
Mission Count: 6/15
Clear Skies [C-Rank Mission | Yamanaka Itsuki]Jun 7, 2023 12:38:12 GMT -5
Honō Kojirou
Honō Kojirou Avatar
groupGrass Shinobi
OOOOOOOOH!

Itsuki was such a helpful lad to offer aid in Kojirou’s practice so quickly! The latter’s eyes blitzed sparkles of wonder and assurance embraced him like a carpet thrown over his form. The dinner comment felt out of place for the oblivious swordsman, but he still nodded: "Yup!” In case they got hungry, y’know… he had dinner in there. It was a large Katana Case Holder.

… Oh damn, third highest result?! "Wait, for real?! I-I don’t think I saw your battles, but that’s incredible!!!” he congratulated the young boy for blasting the competition, even leaping around with flapping arms as if he was some sort of moth, "I’m sure you’ll become such an awesome shino-"

He needed to wait? Well, that just complicated things to the point where Kojirou lost his foothold and landed face-first on the ground. He made an instant recovery to safe face, though…

"… W-Wait, that doesn’t- wait, for real? W-When exactly did you graduate from the Academy?” Kojirou would ask him with widened eyes, understandably shocked by the tidbit information he got, "… A-Are you alright? Wait, am I not training hard enough?! T-That’s it, right?! I knew I was missing something, b-but I didn’t know it was that obvious!” His brain went into overload, suddenly tying his fingers together as he returned to his one-handed training.

"T-Thanks for opening my eyes, Itsuki-kun! I’ll not let a second pass by without training!!!”

There was no talking Kojirou out of fainting himself from training from now on. His eyes were burning bright amber, like the intent of lions tracking prey down, and his fingers kept trying to form half-seals as he imagined a mirror on his palm each time… he didn’t have access to a big enough mirror here, and Ahma was nowhere around, so he had to manifest it with his mind alone.

It would continue into the evening where they’d prepare a camp. Kojirou had cut wood for a bonfire, and he was still trying out those one-handed seals – this time, he wouldn’t mind just a little bit of lava, since he needed to ignite the wooden bars that he’d cut. "Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmnnnnnnggggg…”

"…” His stomach had to interrupt him with a loud growling, "… We’re close to Kaze no Kuni’s border, and I haven’t seen a river nearby. Gotta hunt down a boar for food, or maybe a deer.” Kojirou, however, felt that it’d take half the night to successfully track down the right prey – he didn’t possess such great sensory abilities just yet…

But a certain someone did, to his non-knowledge.
Clear Skies [C-Rank Mission | Yamanaka Itsuki]Jun 10, 2023 10:06:53 GMT -5
Yamanaka Itsuki
Yamanaka Itsuki Avatar
groupLeaf Shinobi

Yamanaka Itsuki

Still somewhat bemused by the presence of dinner within a katana case, Itsuki decided it was just better not to question it. Kojirou's confusion at what he had said caused him to blink slightly, looking at the older boy with a shrug, "I graduated from the Academy the day before the last group from Konoha headed to Kuwana, basically just managed to make the sign up end date," he said. The other's reaction caused him to wince a little, a grimace spreading across his features.

"I wouldn't recommend it Kojirou-nii, I nearly pushed myself into illness working as hard as I did," it had been a rough time getting himself to the point he had been when he graduated, and he certainly wouldn't be doing that again if he could help it, it had been hard to even get himself to a safe state before the exams.

As they set, he watched the Kusa-nin try and make his single handed seals, and he couldn't help but bring it up, "just how does that work Kojirou-nii? What are you doing to even get some sort of jutsu out of doing a handseal with just one hand?" It was a fascinating concept, and part of him wondered if maybe he could figure out how to do it himself too. That'd be a neat trick.

The discussion on food had him blink slightly, a little confused since apparently dinner was in Kojirou's sword case, but if he wanted fresh meat well... a little bit of chakra and a suddenly huge influx of information spread into Itsuki's mind. "Ano, there's not really any boar or deer around, but there's rabbit burrows, I could go and get us some if you need?" he offered, feeling the little flares of chakra in the nearby field.

Word Count: 299
Tags:
Mission Count: 8/15

Clear Skies [C-Rank Mission | Yamanaka Itsuki]Jun 15, 2023 5:39:15 GMT -5
Honō Kojirou
Honō Kojirou Avatar
groupGrass Shinobi
… Aww, c’mon! Kojirou wanted to get stronger, too! Was it really such a risk taking? Well, Itsuki himself said that he nearly got sick from all of his training, but… he also looked way younger than the maned swordsman. Perhaps Kojirou had what it took to push himself just a little further than he did already… just a little bit.

Although, Itsuki was also very curious about the whole one-handed seal shenanigan that the swordsman from Kusa was trying to pull off better. "Just want to be able to cast Jutsus with one hand, really… I-I mean, so I can do other stuff with my right hand! Like carry my katana, like this,” Kojirou would explain, swiftly unsheathing his chakra-conductive katana from its sheath and continue weaving what looked like one half of the Horse seal. "If I do something like this…”

Globs of lava did appear on his weaving palm, but his thoughts quickly turned towards Itsuki’s input on their dinner. The food in the katana case was- wait, yeah, they could eat that now… but he was afraid that they’d have issues finding food in the Land of Wind, hence they’d be better off taking advantage of the flora here while they had the chance.

He did blink a few times at Itsuki’s input, but… maybe he had really good ears! Oh wait, how would he know of any rabbit burrows nearby? Maybe he had good eyes, like Shigure-senpai or Asuka-chan? But he wasn’t a Hyūga, right? Strange… but very helpful! "That’d be awesome! I-I don’t really know how you can see any burrows nearby, but if you can bring a couple rabbits, that’d be great!” Kojirou requested with sparkling eyes, "I’ll get the bonfire up and running!”
Clear Skies [C-Rank Mission | Yamanaka Itsuki]Jun 16, 2023 6:55:31 GMT -5
Yamanaka Itsuki
Yamanaka Itsuki Avatar
groupLeaf Shinobi

Yamanaka Itsuki

Shaking his head slightly, Itsuki tried his best to clarify, "I understand why you're trying to learn it, but I wanna know how it's meant to work" the younger teen said, forming a half seal with his left hand in curiousity. He wasn't quite sure how a single handed seal was meant to work, after all, you made a chakra circuit when you used both hands and that helped to mould the chakra properly for the jutsu. 

How did that translate to just using one hand?

It clearly was possible, since Kojirou was making lava with his attempts, but the way in which he made it work was a little confusing to the Yamanaka. Even if he was incredibly curious by this point. Being able to do seals with just one hand would be super, suuuuper convenient.

Regardless, he got up and stalked his way towards the burrows he could sense, focusing on one that clearly had two rabbits, but no babies within. That meant they'd be good to eat without leaving behind helpless kits. It wasn't too difficult for him to slip an arm into the burrow and yank the rabbits out, a quick motion ending their lives and ensuring that the two shinobi would have some fresh meat to consume tonight.

Wandering back to camp, Itsuki plopped down near the as of yet unlit fire and began to process the rabbits. He'd keep the hides... maybe get them made into some gloves or something, they were nice and soft. It wouldn't take him long to have the meat spitted on a stick and ready for cooking over the fire, the Konoha-nin washing his hands up and setting up a small shelter for the night.

"Ne, how far are we from Wind now?"

Word Count: 294
Tags:
Mission Count: 10/15

Clear Skies [C-Rank Mission | Yamanaka Itsuki]Jun 21, 2023 4:15:24 GMT -5
Honō Kojirou
Honō Kojirou Avatar
groupGrass Shinobi
"Oooooooooh, you mean- well, the way I've been taught it… it's like… uh… you imagine a mirror on your hand. You can see the mirrored hand, and you pretend its your other hand, so you mentally perform a normal handseal, but physically you perform it with one hand. It's hard to imagine a mirror all the time, so I'm just tryin to adapt to it. Gotta practice a lot!"

Listen, Lord forbid Kojirou ever became an Instructor, but he was on to something. One-handed handseals were literal - just the one half of a normal, two-handed handseal. Mirroring your one-handed handseal made it appear like you were performing a normal handseal, and thus the same circuit effect could still apply. Chakra would still want to circuit through the inexistent mirror, which was why it was so difficult to master this technique. However, teaching your body to circuit chakra through one hand was less established, less tangible and less explainable - chakra was still, in many ways, a mysterious force of nature. It was like imagining that chakra still flowed through the air from one hand to another, but it didn't actually do that- all of that was a bit too brain-numbing for Kojirou to fathom, but he tried.

"You gotta just channel your chakra in a circuit on one hand, though… I think. Handseals don't always apply like that, they mostly help you concentrate the flow of chakra further in the center of your body or wherever you need the chakra to go, so maybe that's why one-handed handseals work in the first place."

Kojirou had gotten good at preparing bonfires after years of camping during his missions, so he got right to filling up the ring with more branches and wood blocks. Since there were plenty of branches around them – still in the embrace of green shrubbery – Kojirou chose a large and old tree, not wanting to ruin the chances for smaller trees to grow up into the clouds one day.

Then he pushed his tsuba with his thumb and loosened his katana from its sheath. The branches furthest above looked thick enough, so he took a powered leap and severed those vegetative arms from the trunk, cutting the branches into suitable pieces for the bonfire. After landing on the wet, grassy floor again – watching the pieces of thick wood logs drop like bricks – the swordsman would use his haori to carry handfuls of them back to the camp, inevitably revealing his scarred arms with recovered blisters and burned areas.

He'd light the bonfire by simply poking it with a heated katana, making use of its chakra-conductive properties and his affinity for Lava Release, which did include a bit of Fire Release mixed in there. After Itsuki had prepared the rabbits on sticks, Kojirou would help keep the stick over the fire and watch the rabbit meat darken and become much more edible. From his Katana Case, the swordsman would pull up knives to cut rabbit pieces out for consumption, while Itsuki was setting up a small shelter for the night.

"We should reach the border to Arashi no Kuni by tomorrow noon. A direct line through the country, and we’ll see Kaze no Kuni by afternoon,” he explained based on the intel that his higher-ups granted him via a scroll that Kojirou pulled up from his holster, "As long as we keep moving, we should be good.” With that said, Kojirou and co. would enjoy their cooked rabbit legs and breast before hitting the bags for the night. As they were still in Nohara no Kuni as of now, Kojirou wasn’t on too high alert, but…

Arashi no Kuni lived up to its name. It was stormy… therefore, it was late afternoon once they finally saw the border – and what a clear, solid and noticeable border that was. Stormy wetland got contoured sharply by dry, cracked ground, and it was almost as if the weather was barriered between cold and humid to warm and dry. Kojirou couldn’t help but skip between the two weathers separated by only a few meters, his eyes widening at the absurdity of it all.

Since they reached the border, it didn’t take long before they reached what looked like a canyon pass. Steeper mountain parts had jacked up, fitting with the narrowed area shown on the scroll that Kojirou handed over to Itsuki. "The mountain pass over there… might just be our target. No messenger birds in view, though… but the moment one shows up…”

Kojirou had minimal sensory skills, but he was still trying. His eyes widened, and he could feel that his vision blurred – in the end, he simply convinced himself that he could try and see further with some sort of willed-forth Visual Prowess like Asuka. The results were nil, though. "Hmmmmmmmh… let’s move closer,” he suggested, approaching the dry mountain pass under the afternoon sun turning faintly orange as the evening was approaching.

The mountain pass was deep, or maybe the mountains themselves were just that tall. Either way, messenger birds used these passes for safety passage as they often carried important information, but to truly assess what happened to them lately, they’d have to follow one such messenger bird on its route. This meant that they needed to climb up on the pass and reach higher altitudes.

… Rocks began falling down after entering the pass a bit. Due to the height from where they fell, they were possibly within view of at least one of the shinobi present. Not only by sight, but also by the sound of the rocks colliding with the precipice.
last edit by Honō Kojirou on Jun 21, 2023 4:23:17 GMT -5
Clear Skies [C-Rank Mission | Yamanaka Itsuki]Jun 28, 2023 7:37:25 GMT -5
Yamanaka Itsuki
Yamanaka Itsuki Avatar
groupLeaf Shinobi

Yamanaka Itsuki

Itsuki frowned slightly at the explanation that he had received, "ano... but almost all the handseals aren't symmetrical? There's only one that actually does," he stated in confusion. Perhaps it was just that Kojirou-niisan was not great at actually explaining what he meant? Because Itsuki knew there was at least one school of thought that said that chakra was controlled primarily through mental 'patterns' and handseals only worked the way they did because people expected them to, a mnemonic device to help them work at manipulating their chakra rather than have to manually control it.

In that case, perhaps it meant that if you imagined a completed handseal even while only shaping half of it, you could eventually 'rewrite' you mnemonic to only require the one hand to complete the seals? That meant it would work however you believed it to work, because you believed it would work.

Alternatively, perhaps it was more about pulsing chakra through one hand that would normally require two to make a full circuit? As someone with almost perfect chakra control, and one of Konoha's most naturally gifted sensor-nin (something he could claim without any sort of arrogance), Itsuki had a good grasp at how to interpret chakra, whether his own or that of others.

"We should practice together," he declared, moving his left hand through a series of seals curiously feeling how his chakra flowed through his body in relation to the signs he was weaving. It was an odd sensation, and one he continued to play with as they prepared their food and ate, a small frown on his face as his attention went from his own chakra to that of the other genin, trying to feel how it flowed for both of them.

---

Leaving Arashi no Kuni to enter Kaze no Kuni was a bizarre experience, with the disparate weather patterns almost violently separated here. Itsuki stared for a few minutes in perplexed confusion, trying to figure out just what might be causing such a phenomenon even as Kojirou-nii danced between the two. Shaking his head and giving up on understanding, he and his partner for the mission continued on to their mission location. Beginning to focus more, Itsuki's sensory field spread out as far as it could, his mind scanning their surroundings in search of something worth focusing on.

He couldn't quite pick up anything yet, no person within a two and a half kilometer range was standing out to him, though as they entered the passageway the sound of falling rocks filled the air.

"I can't detect any people around here... but maybe that was some sort of trap for the messenger birds? We should probably go up the cliff face, and take a look from up at the top of the passage. Do you know the tree climbing technique?" Itsuki asked, looking towards Koujirou.

Word Count: 476
Tags:
Mission Count: 12/15

last edit by Yamanaka Itsuki on Jun 28, 2023 7:37:45 GMT -5
Clear Skies [C-Rank Mission | Yamanaka Itsuki]Jul 7, 2023 9:50:46 GMT -5
Honō Kojirou
Honō Kojirou Avatar
groupGrass Shinobi
Kojirou’s eyes widened at the sight of where the cracking sounds came from – falling rocks descending towards the two shinobi from the peaks of the precipices walling the two! He was agile enough to step aside, making great use of the energy-efficient move learned from the Subakage-Style branch. With such sharp movements trained throughout his time recovering from the Chūnin Exams, Kojirou appeared like a moving paper in the wind – without expending wasted energy that could serve to power other actions later.

Simply stepping from side to side avoiding the rocks, Kojirou caught Itsuki’s question and sparkled. "I do! I’ll take the front, watch my back please!” Kojirou asked before planting a foot on the precipice to propel himself upwards. He’d catch himself with both feet after clearing a height, using his chakra to glue them tight to the vertical surface, so that he could face the falling rocks with his entire body. "Okay, let’s see if this’ll work…”

He performed three strange handseals with his left hand, trying to mimic the same handseals that he’d be using to manifest a Tar Clone. By slapping his hand on the precipice, a gunk of tar rose up from underneath it, and as he rose his hand back up again, the tar glob reached his own height and widened, modulating itself to look like him… but… it looked so gooey. Incomplete. Yet, this was the biggest Jutsu that he’d been able to perform to some degree with only one-handed seals, so it was still quite the advancement.

The clone continued running up the precipice, and once it passed by a cave opening on the wall, the Tar Clone was ferociously kicked off its foothold by another person. There were someone, nay, a group of troublemakers in the cave opening on the cliffside that the swordsman was running upon – Kojirou thanked his guts for making him summon that Tar Clone to act as a lure, drawing out the enemy’s location.

It confirmed that there were some sort of group of idiots hiding up here, and they must’ve been connected to the missing messenger birds.

While the first one who kicked the Tar Clone had his foot stuck in the clone’s gooey substance, Kojirou slashed the clone’s heels to ignite its tar and light it aflame. This caused a hysteric frenzy to envelop the bandits in the cave opening, giving Itsuki an opening to catch up. What Kojirou hadn’t spotted yet was that the other side of the mountain pass, on the other precipice, was another cave opening… and another group of instigators and messenger bird intruders were aiming kunais and shurikens his way!
Clear Skies [C-Rank Mission | Yamanaka Itsuki]Aug 3, 2023 8:02:10 GMT -5
Yamanaka Itsuki
Yamanaka Itsuki Avatar
groupLeaf Shinobi

Yamanaka Itsuki

Itsuki hadn't really been concerned by the falling rocks, having been back far enough that movement to avoid them was rather pointless. Instead he watched curiously as his companion managed to make some sort of clone using purely single handed seals. That was... definitely a trick that he wanted to learn how to do. The seals, not necessarily the clones. It just seemed like such a useful dang trick!

Shaking his head slightly, the smaller Genin began to head up the cliff face behind his partner, light footfalls practically silent as he ran behind Kojirou-nii and kept pace enough that he wouldn't fall behind. The sensor-nin frowned slightly though as he watched the clone get kicked, how could he not sense these people? With the Kagura's Mind Eye he absolutely should have been able to detect the chakra signatures that were this close. Some sort of protective barrier? It was impossible to say.

Realising that he couldn't trust in his sensory skills to find his opponents in this situation, the Yamanaka found himself scanning the surrounding area much more closely, his attention turning to anything that might be out of the ordinary. Spotting another opening, he began to flip through a number of seals of his own, trying to focus on the way that the chakra moulded within him absently as he did so. They might have been in a combat situation, but he was still rather determined to figure out how the single handed seals worked...

He was far from using a single hand to form seals, but a little practice wouldn't hurt as he launched Fūton: Shinkūgyoku at the opening, the bullet-like wind orbs flying through the air at high speed and slamming into the cave where enemies were getting ready to hit Kojirou, punching holes in stone, bodies, and armour alike.

Word Count: 304
Tags:
Mission Count: 14/15

Clear Skies [C-Rank Mission | Yamanaka Itsuki]Aug 29, 2023 11:15:02 GMT -5
Honō Kojirou
Honō Kojirou Avatar
groupGrass Shinobi
Kojirou’s ears weren’t the sharpest in the world, but he could hear the smashing sounds of air bullets crash into people on the other side of the precipice. His face turned towards that opening, only now spotting that his back had been exposed for a moment to other enemies that Itsuki – bless that guy – had intervened. It was safe to say that these idiots had something to do with the missing messenger birds, but Kojirou needed to check their areas out.

Taking a large step up, he finally landed on a horizontal surface and glared forward at the cavern – gear, rations and other equipment were laid forward, along with a couple non-combatants trying to run further into the cave. However, what caught Kojirou’s attention were the small cages – one of which held a live messenger bird panicking with a bunk of dead birds underneath it. "O-Oh no…” Kojirou gasped at the grotesque scene, immediately reaching for the cage to try and cut the lock open with his katana, "I’m so sorry, little bird… let’s get you out of there.”

Heating up his katana helped to cut through the iron lock, but it took a bit. The messenger bird panicked and flapped its wings hysterically at him, and it even began pecking him when Kojirou tried to pick it up. "Ow ow ow ow, h-hey, I’m not gonna hurt you, I swear! Itsuki! Itsuki, I found a bird – b-but the others are…”

Understandably angry, he was. Even though this confirmed that the men he’d taken out were behind this, it was far from satisfactory. He had half a mind to go after the two who dipped in fear, but…