Instincts and Intuition

compose a reply
Instincts and Intuition Sept 2, 2023 6:07:09 GMT -5
Hatake Shinde
Nindo Goes Here: Edit Profile > Personal > Most Recent Status
Hatake Shinde Avatar
groupLeaf Shinobi
age 14 years old birthday January 7, -4 SD rank Chuunin occupation Kunoichi
Ataru was one of those kids that Shinde realized was probably on a sort of spectrum. Not that there was anything wrong with that, but she noticed he was hyperactive, had ungodly amounts of energy, and tended to bounce off of the walls. Someone that couldn't stay very still. That was something that could actually be to detriment so she imagined. So, today, she would be teaching Ataru an art that required discipline, careful exercised art, and good intuition. Today, she would be teaching him the art of Kenjutsu. The art of the sword. Today, they would be fighting along the open gravel filled training yard near the academy. The sun shined brightly, and it was a hot summer day. 

Shinde licked her lips as she found herself taking a deep sigh. It felt as if Ataru was growing incredibly fast. Which wasn't a bad thing by any means, but it kept her in mind on how she was slacking on her own training a bit; so she supposed. Just because she failed the Chunin Exam didn't mean she could afford to slack. If anything, it just meant she needed to work even harder to reach that level of advancement. Waiting for the redhead to arrive, she'd proceed to sit up from her bench, and with a slight flick of her ankle, she would tilt and kick the tip of the bokken from it's resting spot and into her hand. Before throwing it with three flips before it lands into the gravel before him. 

"Today's lesson is Kenjutsu. The art of the sword. I figure that you should get good with a variety of skills. Or if not that, then at least be able to discern how to fight against the skill." 
dandead10 has written 307 posts
Instincts and Intuition Sept 2, 2023 12:50:43 GMT -5
Uzumaki Ataru
Uzumaki Ataru Avatar
groupLeaf Shinobi
age 8 years old birthday September 13 rank Genin occupation
Even standing still, Ataru was one of those kinds of kids who fidgeted and practically bounced in place though he could turn stern and serious when the situation called for it he was fueled by an ungodly level of energy. He realized how much his Mom had to deal with, and so despite bouncing off the walls, the boy did his best to not be that much of a handful. Often times he succeded in remaining tempered but at other points, he did not - breathing out through his nose he took in a deep dose of fresh air as he hopped from branch to branch of the various trees. Living up to his reputation of being a spastic monkey, who careened from branch to back or building to building.

Today was another hot Summer day, and Ataru yawned as he arrived at the meeting place with Shinde. Another day of training with his Master, it had become quite a regular thing; with the young Uzumaki taking well to her instruction and training methods despite a couple missteps. Extending out his hands the boy stretched as Shinde went about explaining the day's lesson plan, a smile creasing at the corners of his expression as she mentioned Kenjutsu alongside some flashbacks to previous regimens including the use of her clan's famed weapon and her own subsequent techniques.

Placing both hands, resting one behind the other along the nape of his neck in a lounging manner he pipes up in a rich sun-song tenor. Nodding his head in a rapid row of agreement, meanwhile, his voice cracks through the area with that air of expectancy. "Heck yeah! I haven't had much experience in that sort of thing, but am ready Shishō! Let's GOOOOOO!!!"
Volker has written 229 posts
Instincts and Intuition Sept 3, 2023 20:15:10 GMT -5
Hatake Shinde
Hatake Shinde Avatar
groupLeaf Shinobi
"Well. Then I suppose it's good that we get you oriented in that sort of thing. We'll begin by picking up that sword of yours, and then by entering stance." Assuming he did so, Shinde would proceed to take a very neutral and simple footwork. Her stance wide, her body lowered, and her feet seemed grounded. Both of her hands rest along the handle's shinai. Right hand above her left. Her fingers lay neatly curled, with emphasis on her ring finger, pinkie, and thumbs. Her blade lay aligned with her center, and with it, she looked upon Ataru firmly. Before beginning with firm but steady advances in her footstep. Then neatly aligned sidesteps. Never once did her gaze stray from her opponent.

Before she drops her stance. "Footwork is the most important aspect of swordsmanship. Followed by reading body language. In order to be a good swordsman, one needs quick reaction time, instincts, and intuition." She says matter of factly as she lets him enter his own stance and get a feel for the wooden blade. "I'm going to teach you the basics, and improve on those skills. But ultimately, every swordsman will have their own nuances and style. It's not just a fighting style. It's a martial art." She says, firmly holding her blade. She stands upright and sways the blade horizontally across her body, her arm outstretched. "An extension of my body movement."

"You'll get used to it eventually."
last edit by Hatake Shinde on Sept 7, 2023 1:25:09 GMT -5
Instincts and Intuition Sept 5, 2023 23:55:35 GMT -5
Uzumaki Ataru
Uzumaki Ataru Avatar
groupLeaf Shinobi
Remaining quiet for the most part, listening and hearing her out fully, Ataru would stare upon her with diligent eyes of amber gold and proceed to follow along the line of her gaze. Taking up the Bokken, he would firmly grasp it in both hands gripping it along the bottom and further up on the handle. Modeling his stance and subsequent footwork off of Shinde as she postured, spreading his legs apart at the appropriate pacing, lowering their body, and grounding their feet in order to face properly forward. Balancing on the balls of his feet, he would connect his two balled fists together gripping them around the haft of the practice sword.

Curving his fingers tightly, but not to the point that it would affect his ability to influence nor sway the blade. As she advanced with a series of measured footfalls, the red-haired boy would perform the same conversely. Aligning the blade with his center, using their midriff as the ley line to keep it upright and balanced. Imbuing pressure into the smooth lacquered wooden surface of the Bokken using his ring, thumb, and pinky finger as three pinpoint places to anchor the handle within his grasp and by extension the blade held within his hand. Keeping his back straight and his legs fluid, ready to respond to any attacks or possible probing.

Nodding in a sagely reserved manner as she winds down her explaining summary, his eyes never leave Shinde's form even as she lowers her weapon. Possessing an unadulterated focus. "Hai. I understand Sensei and what I don't - I'll do my best to learn."
Instincts and Intuition Sept 7, 2023 1:32:17 GMT -5
Hatake Shinde
Hatake Shinde Avatar
groupLeaf Shinobi
Ataru was taking it seriously, and considering how energetic he could be, she appreciated that. Because she took Kenjutsu very seriously. It wasn't just a way of fighting for her. It was an art, and a way of life. Watching as his feet moved, the stance he took, and the position of his hands, she stepped closer, and slowly raises his hands and arms a bit higher. Keeping his shoulders squared, as she realigned his stance to be more firm. Not necessarily rigid, but firm. With it, as she circles around him, she swings once with a pivot swing towards his center. Where if he was to brace, he could feel the weight of her sword slam against his own. Clack! Allowing his heels to dig into the ground better to mitigate the impact.

"I know you're more of the kind of person to dodge and evade attacks. But there might be times where that just isn't feasible. You need to be able to weather and endure in situations such as those...You're a boy, so doing that should be a bit easier for you." She says truthfully, before taking a deep and exasperated sigh. She'd been under a high amount of stress as of recent, and she felt as if she wasn't getting anywhere. Even though in a short period of time, she had skyrocketed from where she was but a year ago. Still. It felt as if everything was halted. Falling apart. She stood alongside Ataru and raised her blade over her head, chopping down and straight forward in clean and neat motions. Halting its flow, raising the blade, and letting it sink. "Follow after my motions."

Instincts and Intuition Sept 7, 2023 21:15:37 GMT -5
Uzumaki Ataru
Uzumaki Ataru Avatar
groupLeaf Shinobi
From the stories he heard of the Hatake Clan and the experience gained learning under Shinde firsthand, Ataru understood that Kenjutsu was something not only seriously regarded but a point of pride for their clan. Like the Uzumaki and their mastery over Fuuinjustsu, or the Senju and Wood Release, or the Uchiha with their Sharingan - it was the way with shinobi clans. Wanting not only to show appreciation but dedication for her role in molding him these past few months, he decided he would do so through action instead of words. Words are wind, but if he stuck to what she wanted to teach and did well in learning and using these skills on behalf of the village hopefully it might reflect well on her at the very least.

The first strike came slamming against his own, taking it directly along the tang he shunts it back with force grasping and keeping themselves aloft in a firm manner as instructed he proceeds to breathe out coolly. Listening raptly as she speaks, it was true many people called him a spastic spider monkey because of how quick and energetic he was and so going head to head against dedicated Bukijutsu or Taijutsu practitioners wasn't quite his forte. But he still craved the challenge and knowledge that came with learning something new, wanting to immerse himself in and potentially master it. It felt like there was too much out there in the ninja world to fully dedicate himself to any one path and he struggled with that as a result.

Feeling a slight pressure as she corrected his stance he allowed her to adjust him freely, watching the small changes she made to his form and memorizing it as well as the feeling of their stance once she was finished. Nodding his head at her command he would brace the Bokken as she swings again, a loud clack resounds through the area as he angles the practice stave's blade to glance the strike away from his body's profile. He dug his heels into the ground from the force reverberating through his body and the weighty feel of contact redirected instead of sinking. Ataru stayed upright within the assumed sword stance, stepping to the side as he caught it and reprising with a steady, quickly followed riposte attempting to recreate her technique on his own end and practice the same sword skill she had provided an example for.
Instincts and Intuition Sept 7, 2023 22:30:53 GMT -5
Hatake Shinde
Hatake Shinde Avatar
groupLeaf Shinobi
As they went through those motions together, there was a brief period of pause. She seemed very self absorbed in her thoughts, as she found her blade swinging out. "It feels like I'm not getting anywhere at times." She said it rather abruptly and truthfully. Though she wasn't sure if she was speaking to Ataru more so she might have been talking to herself in those moments. Even though that wasn't true at all. In the year she'd spent with her father, getting to know him, and being accepted as a Hatake, she'd made incredible leaps and bounds in a relatively short period of time she'd been recognized. One could have only imagined her skill level if she had been under the clan's wing from her earliest days. However, it was too late to think about things like that.

"I want you to remember something Ataru." She sounded rather serious, as she swung her blade down in a straight overhead swing downwards towards the air. "In the line of work we do, we're going to experience loss. Failure.  All of those horrible things. But remember that we endure through those things for a reason. That we grow from them. And that we don't have to handle everything alone. Remember to find joy in your life." She said, as she continued to limber her body in the process of her movement. It felt weird that she was lecturing someone about that, as if she were so old herself. Granted she was quite a few years his senior. It felt as if she was being consumed in some aspects. 

"I'm in a rough time of my life. Now more than ever I think...But I'm glad to have someone like you. That I can focus my efforts into. So that I can see you grow strong. Maybe stronger than me; at some point." 
Instincts and Intuition Sept 8, 2023 0:39:44 GMT -5
Uzumaki Ataru
Uzumaki Ataru Avatar
groupLeaf Shinobi
It was tit for tat, back and forth sussing out the feel and flow of striking and receiving blows until they achieved a rhythm which shortly after came abruptly interrupted as her blade swings out. As her next words came spilling forth both blatantly and truthfully, it threw Ataru for a loop until he lowered the Bokken into a sidelong resting position ready to bounce back into action at the slightest hint of action. Though he felt that lowering it was the right thing to do especially as they were speaking with frank honesty. Gazing upon her with a stoic serious expression, allowing the pace of their fight to slow as he hears her out. "I feel like that too sometimes Shindei Sensei, I just... don't really talk about it."

He scratched at the side of his sunkissed cheek and clearly seemed hesitant to continue, for so long he was used to pushing things to the wayside or crushing them down deep inside of himself. It wasn't right or proper for a Uzumaki to air out such private thoughts or insecurities, even now he still didn't know the path he wanted to take as a Genin and he was standing on the cusp of graduation. It was something that nagged at him, messing with his mind more often than not especially once he finished a training session or was left to his own devices in the more quiet moments of downtime between school, training, and caring for his smaller siblings.

Possessing a hint of desperation and a sense of wonder that when he's put to the quench, really out there in the field as a true shinobi even after everything he'd gone through - would he weather through the storm and do well? Swaying between thriving or dying... he was scared but resolved, knowing he had to be brave and the only way for him to go was forward. Forking out his tongue as he saw those same raw feelings and frustration in his Master it helped him to see her in a different light and so he continued speaking, but from the heart instead. "You're a great shinobi, Shishō! And even if you feel that way now... I promise I'll not only get stronger and make you proud but bring you along with me. I'll reach your level and we'll get stronger together by pushing past and pulling each other forward!!!"

He made his declaration with spirit and incredible fervor, speaking with a strong booming passionate tenor wanting not only to repay Shinde for all she did but also to return the favor. Seeing her as a major part of his life and a mentor who brought out the potential in him his determination was no longer one-sided, if it ever was. Looking at her brightly but also serious to the bone, there was an unmatched fire that lingered between the two golden portals that were his eyes. Listening as she continues on, seeking to impart some words of wisdom he takes a step back from his heated declaration giving his full attention over to her. Lifting his blade to catch hers and continue fending off the string of continued attacks while attacking in return.

The things she talked about etched their way into his soul, awakening the harsh realities of what was really out there for him and the life they had chosen. He thought he was ready and Shinde had done a lot to prepare him for it but he still questioned and doubted himself. But the only way to see for yourself is by doing and so he continued to listen raptly, with an unadulterated focus toward both the sword practice and most importantly her words. Breathing deeply she warned him about the brutal truth that rested both outside and even within the gates of Konoha, one he accepted and knew of. But then came the part he wasn't expecting, of her telling him to take joy and share the burden of responsibility by relying upon others promoting teamwork most of all.

That there is more to life than the things they endure and that one should share in it and explore such avenues, taking these lessons deep inside of himself they rumbled around akin to the same swirling spiral pattern that was emblazoned upon their shoulder. It was a turning point not only in his skills but mentality as a whole, nodding his head before speaking again as she rounds out her speech. "Thank you, for everything!" Genuine, sweet, and sincere but most of all he was glad to have someone like Shindei in his life and it showed in the way he regarded her. Lifting his Bokken to the side he horizontally slashes it forward, in a quickened motion in an effort to bring it back to the forefront.
last edit by Uzumaki Ataru on Sept 8, 2023 0:46:57 GMT -5
Instincts and Intuition Sept 8, 2023 2:47:47 GMT -5
Hatake Shinde
Hatake Shinde Avatar
groupLeaf Shinobi
To have a pupil like Ataru was something that she felt grateful for in a time like this. Because it felt as if there was someone a little bit more personal that she could share her negativities and harsher feelings with. Other than him, she didn't really have anyone like that. She didn't have anyone on her Genin team as far as she knew. She didn't have any close ties or friends anymore that she could really say she was acquainted with. At least, not anyone she could get so intimately tied to. Within those next moments, she would proceed to channel him and teach him the kata. The ways to swing the blade to maximize the motion of the body's strength, and how to complete the blow. They'd go through them piece by piece.

"Thank you. Ataru." Three words. They were silent for a bit as they continued to go about their work as the hot sun sweltered down upon the both of them. "When you become Genin. I look forward to teaching you more. More than I have, and really push you to newer heights. Show you that there's still some things I have to offer." She wiped a bead of sweat from her brow as she considered her future and the developments she'd made. As she paid close eye and attention to the field before her. As she took the liberty to continue through with these fluid strikes, she paused then. For there was something she felt that there was important for her to note. Not just about the sword training, but about every battle he'd have in general in his life. Words to live by; at least in her visage.

"I'm thinking...I've shown you some of the basics. We should get to doing a spar soon. But I think there's something very important for you to take in mind."
Instincts and Intuition Sept 9, 2023 9:51:17 GMT -5
Uzumaki Ataru
Uzumaki Ataru Avatar
groupLeaf Shinobi
It felt nice to have someone to talk to, outside those of his clan and family Ataru had very few people he trusted in his life and less who he actually shared any sort of meaningful connection with. Her words, teachings, and presence were a balm for his young heart while her wisdom helped to guide and shape their mind in equal measure. Despite his steadfast spirit and boundless levels of energy even he wavered when it came to certain things because for most of his life he spent it either alone or in the company of family and it was as his Sensei said. That these types of moments were meant to be shared, smiling slightly as they continued content but craving more.

As she teaches him the kata, he would swing the blade as directed, getting the technique down pat so there was no wasted motion and to maximize the strength of a completed blow. Going through the process piece by piece, he learned through watching and followed through until it all came together. "You're welcome, Shishō." Three words in return, silence reigned with the air and atmosphere afterwards as they dedicated themselves solely to first divulging and then mastering the craft of Kenjitsu. The hot Sun beating down on their forms as they went through the paces of instruction, meeting click for clack in a series of practiced fluid exchanges.

"I look forward to that too, I wanna learn everything you know and even more!" He spoke with a sense of hopeful excitement, tempering it by his actions which remain focused and measured. As she pauses he looks on at her quizzicaly taking the time to copy and alleviate some sweat from his brow, wiping the back of his hand across their forehead as he listens further. "Yeah, let's do it! What's that?" He says with an infection of calm curiosity.

Instincts and Intuition Sept 10, 2023 2:19:17 GMT -5
Hatake Shinde
Hatake Shinde Avatar
groupLeaf Shinobi
What was it exactly that she so wanted to teach and show him? "Remember. There's no right or wrong way to fight. So long as you win." It seemed like an odd statement when one thought about principles such as honor, but they were Shinobi. She proceeded to step a little closer to hi. Before placing her palm upon his head and ruffling it, feeling the slight bristle as droplets of sweat came from it. "And that when you're fighting, think hard about what it is you want to accomplish. Work towards that goal." The Ashen Kunoichi found herself desiring to be little more than the best she could be as a Kunoichi and leader for her clan. Whether she stumbled or fell along that path? Well; that was more or less inevitable. However,

She was willing to accept that. For so long as she did her very best in the effort; that was about as much as she could ask. Stepping outwards along the grass, she took step after step. The grass crunched beneath her sandals from how dry it had been as of recent. Before turning towards Ataru, and forming with one hand, the half seal of confrontation. A sign of respect between Shinobi before their engagement. Before taking the liberty to flourish her blade in a single fluid motion. Her stance wide. Her body lowered, and her form well practiced. "Prepare yourself..." Shinde was now soon prepared to take the initiative to begin her assault. And if her other skills were of any indication? He'd need to put his absolute focus.
last edit by Hatake Shinde on Sept 10, 2023 2:20:12 GMT -5
Instincts and Intuition Sept 11, 2023 2:09:45 GMT -5
Uzumaki Ataru
Uzumaki Ataru Avatar
groupLeaf Shinobi
Looking on at her expectantly, he digests the words as she speaks them nodding sagely at their context. Nodding in agreement, he knew she was right - as a Shinobi you either came home or not at all; in the world of Ninja honor had no place on the battlefield. You either won or you lost… and a good Shinobi used everything at his disposal, including the environment. Her hand would stop his head mid nod, the pale palm of Shinde came encapsulated by a crimson mess of hair coated with a thin veneer of sweat. A throaty grunt came sounding from his mouth, as she ruffled his hair like some snot nosed kid. "I will, shishō. I promise."

Aspiring to be the best Shinobi he possibly could, no matter what challenging straits they needed to travel through or endure. He understood that there would be pitfalls, ups and downs as his Mom and Shinde explained. He would suffer through them and adapt, or die… all he could do was give his best effort. To keep on training, improving, and growing stronger until he could shoulder the same as the real pillars in the village. Watching as his Sensei stops and turns moving away he walks a handful of paces across the verdant grass field stopping as she keeps on before spinning about.

As she forms the sign of confrontation, signaling a mark of respect and precipitating challenge Ataru's demeanor would change and grow more seriously focused. Recognizing the universal symbol from the Academy, one that the young Uzumaki would reciprocate while keeping his Bokken well in hand. Ready for their dueling bout, standing in a proper stance with just enough firm fluidity to either meet or spring into action. Grasping both hands firmly around the haft, standing widely apart and lowered just as she instructed employing the proper technique. Taking a steady breath at her last statement, as he sucked in air prepared to meet her.
Instincts and Intuition Sept 12, 2023 12:33:07 GMT -5
Hatake Shinde
Hatake Shinde Avatar
groupLeaf Shinobi
She was glad that Ataru wasn't taking her so easily to say the least. So, in those next moments, as they looked upon one another, she gazed at his form and stance, and took in all she knew about him. What she observed in his past, his tendencies, and his habits. Before she took the liberty to make her approach. The young Shinde would begin to make her steps through the grass, circling around him. Slowly at first, until she got faster and faster. The grass would begin to sway as she began to move so fast that her movement was little more than a blur. Partially to brag, but also to show him the potential level he could reach. Until she'd close in. Dashing straight towards him with a burst of motion as she sought to approach from his back flank and to the left.

She sought to hit him on the left side, where she presumed his defense was weakest. Rushing inward as she sought to deliver a firm horizontal slash for the side of his body. To let him feel the weight of the impact. However, it was more like she was acting predatory. Like a shark. For assuming her blow hit, or the weight of its force was blocked, shunted, she'd continue her motion as she'd blur past him. Closing inward to slam from various spots, to test his defenses with his bokken. It was rather certain that once she gauged his guard fully, she'd give him a true and proper engagement. Strike when he was vulnerable.
Instincts and Intuition Sept 13, 2023 0:07:41 GMT -5
Uzumaki Ataru
Uzumaki Ataru Avatar
groupLeaf Shinobi
He knew better than to not take her seriously, she was a menace when it came to these types of lessons and it always served to keep him on his toes. Holding her fully within his amber eyed gaze, he focused on her gait, stance, the motion of the blade and how she carried it as well as the methodical steps she took in the beginning stages of this bout. As she makes her approach he mirrors her movements loping through the grass, circling around her in turn until he stops fully. Understanding he couldn't keep pace with her actions while steeped in motion he stops and remains still but not sedentary, turning to meet her mounting speed by directing his body accordingly. Over the passing days and weeks through his times under Shinde's watchful instruction, he had honed his reflexes to an exceptional degree.

Reflecting on what he knew of her, and basing his next course of action off a rudimentary knowledge of Kenjutsu gained from the Academy and his own insight into sword skill she would likely strike at his most vulnerable side. Losing track of his master as her movements rapidly increase in agility, as she disappears fully from his sight the boy's senses would stand on edge. Though thinking coolly he proceeds to turn on his heel and slash vertically catching her overhead strike with a resounding clack of wood hitting wood. Bracing himself within their combat stance, he would proceed to catch its follow up going off reflexive instinct mixed with strange impulsive technique. He would employ an unorthodox measure, shunting the blow with an irregular guarded move slamming into the wooden tang of her Bokken with the base of their hilt.

Using the inertia to throw her back but not before being struck a handful of times in quick succession, the impacts leaving bruises scored against his body. Battering him, no matter the hurt or seeping pain born from the blunt force he stayed present in the fight. As she is beaten back he lashes out with his own series of quickened strikes, stepping into it in order to heighten his reach and hopefully slip past her guard as she rushes in.
Instincts and Intuition Sept 14, 2023 19:48:26 GMT -5
Hatake Shinde
Hatake Shinde Avatar
groupLeaf Shinobi
In truth, as she beat into his small frame, she could feel the resistance of his body along her bokken. It likely hurt. However, she wasn't beyond beating children into the dirt if it meant that they'd survive long. Shinde had worked hard at her and Ataru's expense to ensure that when he'd become Genin, he'd be a student worth talking about. Helping him excel, she'd guide him into being splendid. Or so was the general hope. The clacking of wood. She could see him putting his full effort in adjusting to her speed, her location, and blocking what he could. Mitigating the damage otherwise. Honestly, Shinde couldn't help but feel as if this was indeed an excellent habit to instill. This method of training their students. Because hardship and adversity bred strong people.

Instincts were something that were sharpest when youngest. There were many things that children tended to overlook because of their immaturity and lack of attention to detail, but their senses were sharp and keen. They noticed many things also that most adults never considered. So instincts were something that were best trained young. As she slashed upon him, she saw it then. He raised his blade to meet hers, needing to likely put his entire body into it to avoid her breaking his guard and slamming into him. Before he then hit the bottom of her blade with his hilt. The recoil of the blade would leave her blade shunting back, but controlling the shift in weight with her chest and shoulders, manipulating her control of the blade? She'd immediately bring the blade back down for a second overhead strike. As fast as the first.

She was elegant and fierce in her swordsmanship. Before she begins to enter into a small clash of blows...This would be the introduction of Ataru's long path into swordsmanship. And Shinde would be there to guide him.

[Exit]