compose a reply
Mogura Oka Renovations [Sachi]Sept 17, 2023 6:58:42 GMT -5
Uzumaki Atagi
Keep on keeping on.
Uzumaki Atagi Avatar
groupGrass Shinobi
age 21 years old birthday April 29th rank Genin occupation
That which we shape inevitably shapes us

Never be afraid to do the good that is small.

One of Atagi Uzumaki’s many oft-repeated aphorisms, but one that a shinobi would do well to never forget. Once upon a time, even he would’ve scoffed at an assignment like this one– simple renovations? Fortifying defenses? There would’ve been not nearly enough excitement, not close to enough glory for the much shorter Uzumaki boy. No, he would’ve demanded some great monster to slay, some enemy to subdue. Now, older and wiser (even if only by a little), he’s found more of his center, discovered more of the self. And that self, the Atagi of today, is determined to do whatever good he can, for whomever he’s able, for as long as his body holds out.

So, there he was, at Mogura Oka, a relatively small fort placed atop a large hill, the landscape dotted by molehills where one would expect flat-land like in the rest of the country. Even if it was ‘only’ a construction project, he’s still decked out in his full shinobi attire, padding and jacket and pants and all. And his newly acquired, still-being-gotten-used-to training weights, of course, having learned the value of extra mass in close combat to a decidedly painful degree– well, it seemed like a natural next step for him. The only alteration is that instead of sandals, he’s wearing what look like tabi…but they’re more solid, like some sort of cross between the typical lightweight footwear that shinobi are so often found in and a safety boot. As per usual, there’s a toothy grin painted across the canvas of his face, and he got a shovel ‘slung’ over one shoulder.

”Koutarou-san, was it? he chirps toward an obviously middle aged man with a clipboard and sash, clearly denoting that he was to be the foreman– or at least one of the organizers of this construction project, who gives the grass genin a curt confirmation in response, and a single nod. ”I’m more useful than I look at present, I promise, bahaha. Just waitin’ on my compatriot so I can fill her in on our duty for the day.” A handful of civilians milled around, many carting around tools or supplies, a lot of them having already gotten a headstart on some of the improvements and fortifications, eager to complete the day’s work.

Atagi, eager as he was, would be bereft to start up things without his assigned partner for this mission– one Kisei Sachi. He’d met one of the Kisei clan before, a tired-eyed fellow who was nonetheless all too happy to share his wisdoms and experience, so the red-topped shinobi had high hopes. Then again, he was the sort of unfalteringly positive type to presume everyone and anyone could be a new connection, friend, or contact.

()
aeron at thq

Knocker has written 327 posts
Mogura Oka Renovations [Sachi]Oct 5, 2023 18:03:34 GMT -5
Kisei Sachi
"The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.”
Kisei Sachi Avatar
groupGrass Shinobi
age 15 years old birthday March 9 rank Genin occupation
Kisei Sachi🌸
"The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now."

In the not-so-far distance, a spirited young girl skipped her way over to the vibrant red-haired Uzumaki and the slightly bewildered middle-aged Koutarou. Coming to an abrupt halt, she positioned her tiny feet together and then executed a swift bow, her voice ringing out from her petite form, radiating the essence of her bubbly personality. "Genin Team 1, Kisei Sachi here reporting for duty!"

Emerging from her bow, she beamed cheerfully at the two, her senpai from another team and the middle-aged Koutarou-san, who couldn't help but cast a dubious glance at the young genin, as she who looked like a 10-year-old—perhaps even younger when compared to Atagi. She also dressed in her usual shinobi garbs, but it wasn’t as obvious as Atagi’s set for combat, all her weapons or armor hidden within her wear that looked more suited to serving tea. Bright eyes darted to her upperclassmen a bit curiously and intensely.

"Uzumaki-senpai, bright and early, it seems. I thought I left early, but it looks like I was a little slow today! It's so nice to meet you! I'll be in your care, senpai." Although they hadn't met in person, word had traveled quickly in the small village, and Sachi had heard various snippets of information about her senpai--and though  hearing rumors were unintentional most of the time, she believed any information to be favorable to her. 

While she had seen Atagi around the village and town—his striking crimson hair was hard to miss—what truly stood out to her were the occasional whispers that swirled concerning him. Stories of him sneaking into a kunoichi's dormitory, venturing to other villages without permission, and the famous tale of his arm getting torn off during the Chunnin exams in Iwa had piqued her curiosity. She almost felt compelled to dissect what had happened and maybe even him, but she wasn't quite that crazy... yet, at least.

She consulting her shinobi cousin for insights before the mission. Her older cousin mentioned that Atagi was a hard-working energetic sort of fellow, although a little all over the place, and overall, a good guy. Despite the rumors, it gave her a sense of ease as she was generally the more inexperienced one in any mission she partook in, so--at the very least--she could put her trust in the older genin.

The mission in question today was renovations, there were a lot of tasks at hand between fortification and rebuilding efforts, many of which had already started in different parts of the region. She never had done something as complicated—or as simple—as construction jobs before so she really wasn’t aware of what that entailed. Nevertheless, she was excited to learn, her thirst for knowledge ever more present.

Sachi's enthusiasm was contagious as she addressed Atagi, her voice exuding eagerness and energy. "What's the first step, Uzumaki-senpai? If it's okay, I would like to take a quick peek at the drawn plans and material ledgers."

–🌸-

Attempt by Necro

Tags:

last edit by Kisei Sachi on Oct 7, 2023 23:56:50 GMT -5
IntrovertedRabbit has written 186 posts
Mogura Oka Renovations [Sachi]Oct 12, 2023 11:38:04 GMT -5
Uzumaki Atagi
Keep on keeping on.
Uzumaki Atagi Avatar
groupGrass Shinobi

They’ve got a minute or so of being keyed into the girl’s presence and then watching her skip on over, before she comes to a stop and executes an exceedingly polite bow. Sachi’s introduction is downright ebullient. Matching (or perhaps even exceeding) that energy, Atagi throws a lively salute her way with two fingers, somehow simultaneously formal and relaxed in equal measure. ”It’s hard to beat me as far as that’s concerned, bahaha. I’ve gotta be the first to show up and the last to leave, yeah? Doubly so when I’ve gotta set a good example for my kouhai, obviously.” The hand that gave the salute has come to rest underneath his chin, scritching at some of the barely-there maroon stubble. Huh. She sorta reminds me of lil sis, yeah? I wonder what she’s up to…and Michi too, for that matter. Is he old enough to be outta the academy yet? I’ll haveta write the folks, soon.

”It’s wonderful to meet you too, yeah? You’re winsome beyond words- if you’re half as competent as you are cute, then today’s work ought to be a breeze.” There’s the winning, toothy smile, absent of all but a tiny fraction of slyness that sticks to his otherwise clear and honest eyes. An honest compliment, one that didn’t seem malicious or otherwise denigrating– or at least it wasn’t supposed to be, from his tone, but at times he suffered from foot-in-mouth syndrome.

Parking the shovel in the dirt by its’ tip and raising hands up above his head in a stretch, there’s an incline of the head towards Sachi’s direction at the query. There’s not even a second left for it to breathe, before he snaps off a response. ”Ah, absolutely. Koutarou-san’s drafted up these wonderful–” The other man dives into the highway traffic of Atagi’s speech patterns to stop the flow, evidently having already realized that if he didn’t, the Uzumaki might be liable to go on for another full paragraph. Yes yes, I’ve got copies here for you. Pulling out folded pieces of paper from the bottom of the clipboard and offering it over. Even while she’s scanning over it, Atagi starts explaining and expanding.

”The long and short of it is that even though this fort is smaller and less populated than most of them around here, it’s still got quite a bit of wear and tear. Structural damage, mostly, from pests– I’m sure you saw all the molehills around on your way up, but it’s not just them. Other vermin use the holes and tunnels they make, foundations get cracked or uneven from air pockets, walls have got holes in them or need reinforcement– so on and so forth.” He didn’t know much about architecture or repair, but a lot of this he’d picked up either from the project lead himself or from hearing some of the other workers discuss what they were up to. ”I’ll be doing a lot of the heavy lifting or anything that requires physicality, naturally– moving around lumber or plaster or stone or whatever, hammering and filling and etcetera. Where’s your skill set lie, praytell? I’ve been to a few kisei cafes, but I don’t imagine that you’d be employed just to steep drinks.”

()
aeron at thq

last edit by Uzumaki Atagi on Oct 12, 2023 11:38:36 GMT -5
Mogura Oka Renovations [Sachi]Oct 19, 2023 15:53:27 GMT -5
Kisei Sachi
"The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.”
Kisei Sachi Avatar
groupGrass Shinobi
age 15 years old birthday March 9 rank Genin occupation
Kisei Sachi🌸
"The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now."

Sachi found herself pleasantly surprised by having a reliable senpai, a slight difference from the image she had painted in her mind due to rumors. It was a welcomed surprise, Atagi's motivation for the mission invigorating her own.

"Ah, thank you very much," she said with a small smile and both hands, accepting the copy of the mission details and immediately skimming through the contents as Atagi provided a thorough explanation. Her attention broke when he mentioned the issues with cracked foundations and uneven ground. "That's quite the problem," she commented. Sachi had read some basic architecture books, but it didn't take an expert to know that the situation was far from ideal.

"As expected of Atagi-senpai," she continued, her tone impressed. "I've heard about your numerous feats around the village, and it doesn't seem to be an exaggeration when they say Senpai is pretty sturdy. Thank you for visiting our cafes as well," she contemplated  with a warm smile before putting a finger to her chin as she contemplated their mission.

"I'm a medical-nin in training, so most of my abilities currently revolve around medical care more than combat or strength," she explained as she finished scanning the document.

"I assume I was assigned this mission due to a lack of available shinobi, or perhaps I'm on standby in case someone gets hurt." She folded the paper and then continued, "Additionally, I have a pretty good memory and a plethora of plants in my arsenal, though I'm unsure how that would be of use in this scenario."

Sachi had brought along her Nakahara plants that her father had provided, but she wasn't authorized to use them in combat and wasn't quite sure how to apply them outside of recreational purposes.

"I guess, for starters, I could devise a way to catch the various pests. The drawn plans show where the foundations need fixing the most, but the trouble still lies with the rodents, I suppose," she suggested, her energy growing as she delved into the problem-solving process. "If we don't get rid of the source of the problem, we'll just have the same issue in a few months or so." Sachi may not have been perfectly suited for the task, but her determination to contribute was evident.

–🌸-

Attempt by Necro
Tags:

last edit by Kisei Sachi on Oct 19, 2023 15:53:41 GMT -5
IntrovertedRabbit has written 186 posts
Mogura Oka Renovations [Sachi]Oct 26, 2023 17:48:31 GMT -5
Uzumaki Atagi
Keep on keeping on.
Uzumaki Atagi Avatar
groupGrass Shinobi

If anything could be said immediately about Sachi, something to grab onto and tuck away into the files of Atagi’s mind, it was that even with her earlier bout of ebullience, she was the picture of professionalism. Polite and to the point, without question. Even if some of her quirks and mannerisms carried the usual character expected of a young girl, she was a kunoichi with her head on straight. The Uzumaki can’t keep entirely still even while listening to her speak, pacing, stretching, or both while he parses all the information that she’s returning his way.

Medical-nin, huh? In training or otherwise, they’re always handy to have around. Perhaps there was some significance to the fact that he, a shinobi who often found himself injured or otherwise in danger, was always ending up in the company of doctors and med-nin alike. That might’ve been an intentional decision by the person who had assigned them the mission, even.

At the suggestion, Atagi plops a fist into his hand. ”That’s brilliant, yeah? You plan, I’ll execute. We’ll reconvene in an hour or so.” Creative he might’ve been, and quick at coming up with something in a pinch…but thinking and devising definitely wasn’t the crimson genin from the grass’s strong suit. ”Otherwise, I’ll point anyone your way who looks like they need a little help– though, be careful. You know how men are around pretty girls, I’d hardly be surprised if someone faked a fever or injury just to visit you.” His tone was definitely playful, but the warning didn’t seem entirely like a joke.

With that, he’s off. There’s much work to be done, after all. For about an hour, Atagi spends some time on the most obvious (and probably easiest) of tasks, armfuls of boards and bamboo over to particular structures, using a hammer, tack, and nail in order to patch up some entry holes the various vermin had utilized to get inside the barracks, the storehouses, and even the latrines. It was enough to make him sweat, and before long he’s had to unzip his jacket, breathing becoming laboured. Even if he was used to tasks like this and he had focused on his body more than anything else, a workout was a workout, exacerbated by those absurd weights he insisted on carting around all day long, even now. Before the hour’s up, he’s already directing some ashigaru who’s partaking in the construction towards Sachi’s little post- one who’d been complaining of pain after accidentally smashing his hand with a brick, or something to that effect.

Atagi wanders back on over, stretching an arm and rotating his shoulder to one size while guzzling down a canteen of water greedily with the other. ”What’s the verdict, Sachi-han?” he tries out a different honorific just to see if he likes it, as is customary.

()
aeron at thq