compose a reply
Letters to ShoSept 18, 2023 19:01:50 GMT -5
Uzumaki Atagi
Keep on keeping on.
Uzumaki Atagi Avatar
groupGrass Shinobi
age 21 years old birthday April 29th rank Genin occupation
TO: Yamamoto Shosuke
Good morning, afternoon, or night, depending on when this letter manages to reach you.

I hope you are, and have been, well! If you’re still around at all, of course. Those in our line of work rarely live into old age– but you’re just the sort of competent and wondermazing guy who I expect to anyway. That, and being highly skilled at repairing yourself n’ others like an artisan or artist of the human body helps, doesn’t it?

Sorry for taking months n’ months at all to send a letter in the first place, by the way. I’ve been fairly busy. Making new connections, continually honing the body and mind, so on and so forth.

Did I mention that a kindly mysterious stranger of a Yukigakure med-nin gave me my arms back? Masahiko-san, their name was. That might’ve been evident enough from the fact that this letter isn’t covered intermittently with patches of drool, but it bears mentioning nonetheless. Nothing short of a miracle; I’m not sure how I’ve managed to attract so many wonderful people who’re willing to lend a hand, ear, or soul to me, but I’m intensely thankful for it. Honestly, he was sort of brilliant– you two ought to talk shop regarding the medical profession, sometime.

Considering that’s the case, though, I still haven’t decided what to do with that log of mokuton wood that you gave me. I’m not sure if you’re the type to be personally insulted by that or not, but I do still adore and appreciate the gift in equal measure, and I’m keen on making use of it in some capacity. Maybe carve it into something pretty, or make it into some sort of weapon or piece of equipment or just keep it at home on a stand with a plaque that says ‘From: An amazing doctor, wonderful shinobi, and an even better friend’ or– you know, so on and so forth.

Also, I’m thinking about becoming a father.

Short steps and deep breaths with all of that, though.

Anyway!

What’ve you been up so, since our time in Kuwana? Any new developments or arrangements? Did you get promoted? Sidegrade-ed? Are you working a lot, or a little? Both as a doctor and a shinobi. I recall you said you were worried about how the Raikage would take your showing at the exams, and all. How’s your love life?

Please, leave out no detail, juicy or dry alike.

Dare to dream,
Uzumaki Atagi

Knocker has written 327 posts
Letters to ShoSept 21, 2023 15:47:57 GMT -5
Yamamoto Shosuke
"Its just one thing after another..."
Yamamoto Shosuke Avatar
groupCloud Shinobi
age 17 years old birthday 17/05 rank Chuunin occupation Ops Team 1
After sending his letter, it would take a small while for Atagi to receive anything in return. So long, in fact, that it would be perfectly natural to assume that he wasn't going to get something in return at all.

As Atagi had said in his own letter, perhaps this wasn't entirely unexpected. After all, the sad part of the life of a Shinobi was that it was a flickering candle in the wind - it could go out at any moment. Even someone so allocentric and dedicated to saving others as Shosuke could get caught up in something over his head. Hell, him being the kind of person Atagi saw as a "good person" made him all the more likely to be consumed by the cruelty of their way of life. 

When a letter finally did come, it was not exactly what Atagi would have expected. Despite the stereotype that doctors like Sho had famously terrible handwriting, little better than chicken scratch, what he instead received was a letter with flowery handwriting. Soft, effeminate, gentle writing with lots of loops and flourishes in the penmanship. Though Graphology was widely considered a bunk science, one could tell one very clear thing from how this was written - this wasn't Shosuke's hand. 

---

Dear Mr. Uzumaki, 

Thank you so very much for your recent letter. Hearing that you had written to him seems to have brought my son some genuine happiness. However, I am afraid to say that he was in no state to read it himself, given the recent incident. Even so, at his request, I can confirm that I have conveyed it to him, though I worry, not knowing you myself, I may have done a poor job at aping your clearly distinct way of speaking. 

Were I less familiar with my son's activities, I might have been surprised to hear about your condition. I'm no doctor, unlike Shosuke's adopted aunts and uncles, so I cannot speak to the nature of your injuries. Even so, it is good to hear that you are no longer injured. Just between us, it seems Shosuke seemed a little hurt when he found out that you had discarded his gift, but I'm sure that's just teenage silliness. He did seem genuinely glad to hear that you were okay, but it's so easy for him to get downhearted. He's a sensitive boy, as I'm sure you understand. 

As for this Yukigakure man speaking shop with my son, I'm sure it would do him the world of good, though I doubt he would appreciate it. Ever since he spoke to that man from the Shinobi Corps just over a year ago, he's been so obsessed with becoming a soldier and walking away from the life of a Doctor. I wish he wouldn't, especially given everything that's happened since. But, it's the job of one's family to support one, no matter what mistakes one makes along the path of life, don't you think? Forgive me if I'm being candid, but as one of the only friends Sho appears to have I just felt I should convey some of my concerns about him. 

Speaking of concerns - I am unaware if you know this, given the distant nature of your relationship with my son, but I'm afraid to say he's in no condition to write himself, or else I would not be needed in this process. About a month after returning from the Chuunin Exams, my son was deliberately sabotaged for the position of clan heir by that snake, Yamamoto Eri. For the past six months, his eyes have been all but destroyed. He was only recently discharged, but even so the poor boy has recovered very little. Suffice to say, not only am I having to write to you but I had to read your letter to him as well. I hope this wasn't an invasion of your privacy. 

If you'll allow me to go off on a tangent for a moment, from what my Sho has told me you're only a year or two older than him. As someone who had a child about your age myself, I can not advise against it enough. I love my Sho, he's my pride and joy, but if we hadn't had the support of the Yamamoto's life would have been far harsher for the poor boy. Sometimes, I wonder if he appreciates that or is even aware of it. Thanks to them, he's had quite the sheltered life. If you are to become a father, please do ensure that you're in a position to support the child first. 

There are few things in the world worse than a deadbeat father. 

Yours, 
Yamamoto Sueko, on behalf of Yamamoto Shosuke. 

PS: What exactly is the nature of your relationship with my son? He seemed heartbroken at the idea of you as a father. Don't let him know I told you that though... 

818 words |

Gesicht has written 434 posts