compose a reply
A Poppy Blooms [Ataru/Graduation]Sept 20, 2023 19:11:42 GMT -5
Uchiha Izusa
Duty. Always.
Uchiha Izusa Avatar
groupLeaf Shinobi
age 20 years old birthday January 15 rank Chūnin occupation Academy Instructor

I write, erase, rewrite

Stood in the center of one of the many training grounds at the Academy was a young man. A pale green haori draped over yukata, Konohagakure hitai-ate shining on his brow, Daishō tucked within a white obi on his left hip.

Looking diligently over a student's dossier inside of a manila folder, doing all the he could to prep for this test.

Its contents were regarding a child who had recently been nominated for graduation. "Uzumaki Clan... a budding penchant for taijutsu..." Dark eyes looked over the words on the page, cataloguing the information as he read. A rising star with an old family name. "Interesting." A lone thought on the matter. Scanning the file intently. Waiting.

Truthfully, it had been some time since he'd run an examination. Unfortunately, the chūnin had other nightly duties that never waited. Even so— this was his job. Ostensibly at least. So he would have to start acting like it.

Whenever the student arrived he would be ushered in the instructor's direction. Upon seeing the child, the young man would shut the folder. "Uzumaki Ataru." He said. Narrowing his eyes. Then... "No... wait. That sounds too formal." A hand rose to rub the back of his own head. A nervous smile forming on his face.  "Ataru-kun." Better.

Lackadaisical and informal. That's how he was supposed to be. "If you're wondering why you've been summoned... it's because today is graduation day for you." He paused. Then contemplated. "Assuming you pass the exam, that is."

A small caveat. "Please." He gestured to the nearby ground. "Take a seat." Never one to loom, he removed his sheathed blades from his sash and lowered himself as well, placing his weapons next to him. To sit seiza while he waited for the boy to join him. "First, we'll begin with an oral examination. Nothing major just a few questions." Of course they wouldn't seem major... but everything had its purpose. This one being a mental examination. And a few for his own curiosity. "After that? You and I will spar together. To see how you fare physically." Mind. Body.

Only one thing more was needed. "Finally, I'll have you perform some of the jutsu you've learned during your time here. The fundamental stuff." Henge, Bunshin, Kawarimi. Necessary for all shinobi to know. It wasn't original...

But he went off-script enough in his day-to-day teachings. As laid-back as he seemed, this sort of thing did merit some level of structure. "How's that sound?" The instructor asked. "Questions, comments, concerns?" He smiled.

Despite his expression, dark eyes would remain ever-so-slightly narrowed on the boy. Already assessing him.

Yenga has written 122 posts
A Poppy Blooms [Ataru/Graduation]Sept 20, 2023 19:43:47 GMT -5
Uzumaki Ataru
Nindo Goes Here: Edit Profile > Personal > Most Recent Status
Uzumaki Ataru Avatar
groupLeaf Shinobi
age 8 years old birthday September 13 rank Genin occupation
The day was here, or at least the chance for it… it was finally that time of year; one where Ataru could possibly graduate. He had been at the Academy for only a little under two years at this point and in that time met many memorable people who he could think back on fondly. Admittedly though there were those who were strict like Hitomi and Shinde Sensei and some who stood out as more kind, goofy, and loose like Miroru and Kazui in how they instructed as well as interacted with the young hyperactive Uzumaki. Having enjoyed his time at school learning and garnering a wealth of experiences outside of it; what he yearned for now most of all was to strike out on his own and become a fully fledged Genin of Konoha, to do his village proud and be assigned onto a team.

Keeping the lessons that had made a mark in his life close to his heart, thinking back on what he gained both from the insight of others and that which he came to value for himself. As he arrived at the Academy site he was directed elsewhere from their usual class, navigating his way around to some nearby training grounds. Ushered along the fiery-haired boy would find themselves standing before a tall young man with midnight black hair and coal-black eyes, clad in a refined set of traditional comfort attire. Gazing upon their imposing figure with amber eyes, they were sharp, full of life and promise - exuding a resilient sense of self and stalwart dedication within golden pools. "Hai, Sensei." A sun-song voice came echoing from full lips.

Standing at formal attention as he came face to face with their Uchiha overseer, his legs were spaced apart and his back remained straight. Normally he was such a bundle of energy that something like this would be anathema, but he had struggled to attain a level of self-control and a measure of discipline over the latter half of the past year. Listening raptly as the instructor told him the purpose behind their visit before following it with the laundry list of what he expected to test him on today, it didn't defy expectation so he only nodded until it came time for some questions to be put to them. At his urging the boy assumes a seat, and looks forward with a strong gaze meeting their narrowed eyes with a dauntless disposition. "It sounds good, Sensei. I don't have anything to ask for right now."
last edit by Uzumaki Ataru on Sept 20, 2023 19:46:39 GMT -5
Volker has written 229 posts
A Poppy Blooms [Ataru/Graduation]Sept 21, 2023 9:03:29 GMT -5
Uchiha Izusa
Duty. Always.
Uchiha Izusa Avatar
groupLeaf Shinobi

Erase again, and then

Standing at attention, some manner of discipline despite his age, no questions... "Excellent."

If circumstances had been different, he might've told the boy to ease up. That he was too young to be so serious. But this was not his classroom, and the weight of promotion from student to genin was no trifling affair. It was major.

Marked one's growth and maturity. And for most... a point of no return. Where civilian life was left far behind in return for service to one's nation. In body, mind, and spirit. It also came with more dire implications. Danger, a job that more often than not both took blood as payment and demanded bloodshed. Not always. But mostly.

Before they went any further... the instructor had to be sure. "Sorry, almost forgot my manners. My name is Uchiha Izusa." Perhaps he had heard of him? Tales of a 'No-Show Sensei' as his students so loudly and often liked to proclaim when he was away on other business. A reputation for being easygoing. He didn't think he'd had the boy in any of his classes... but then again, he'd been busy lately. "Now... be sure to think hard about your answers, okay?" A smile.

Contrasted by the keenness of his eyes. Dark. Appraising. Setting the folder next to him, he placed his hands in his lap and paused. Thinking. "I guess we'll start with..." Yeah, that was a good one. "First up: why do you want to become a shinobi?" A general question. Meant to explore intent and give him enough space to talk about his goals. As much or as little as he desired. "Second: and I don't mean to scare you... but this work is dangerous. Many lose their lives well before their time... some not much older than you. Knowing this, do you still wish to pursue this goal?"

It was the unfortunate reality of the Shinobi World. Full of many little soldiers and even more little graves.

At this, Izusa's smile faltered. Face becoming stern as he watched for the boy's reaction. To him, there was no shame in turning away. In choosing peace. If he had ever been given the choice... he would've himself. Spent more time practicing his awful poetry instead of his shurikenjutsu. Kindness, compassion, empathy— they had no place here.

Not truly, anyway. Such was the plight of all ninja everywhere. "Third...ly: How are you feeling, Ataru-kun? Excited? Nervous? This one isn't an official question... so please, speak freely." Izusa shifted, and smiled. Though as always..

He was watching. "And lastly: What does the word 'shinobi' mean to you?" This one was up to interpretation. The boy's answers would reveal much, even without meaning to. So he would wait patiently. And listen intently.

A Poppy Blooms [Ataru/Graduation]Sept 22, 2023 2:25:07 GMT -5
Uzumaki Ataru
Uzumaki Ataru Avatar
groupLeaf Shinobi
Normally a bit of a carefree goofball, even at his young age he understood the seriousness of this meeting. Today would determine whether he remained an academy student or advanced on to the next level of his Shinobi career. He was ready, he had trained long and hard over these past few months striving to meet challenges head on. To improve and grow stronger, more well rounded and covering his bases while establishing bonds with a few choice people that helped to hone or guide them along their path.

Breathing in deeply, he stares straight ahead keeping a level gaze with the instructor. Folding his hands together behind their back, he held onto one utilizing the other situating it within their palm firmly. His Mother had sat him down and told them, as an Elite Jounin first of Uzushiogakure and now Konoha she understood things better than most. Making it clear to the young Ataru, a view on life that came reinforced through the harsh stringent training of his Master.

Bearing the scars and lessons born through pain as well as that gained by a regimen of varied as well as strict combat training. He had never faced down death first hand out in the field as of yet but understood the scope of danger that came while steeped in the life of a ninja. Masking his true feelings with stoic discipline served to veil his true frame of mind and remain focused, as he introduced himself the boy thought on what he knew of the man.

He was somewhat of an absentee Instructor, from what he knew of classmates that did have him at some point or another. Isuza was strangely easy going, compared to the much more intense and strict Hitomi or the Yamanaka who he couldn't make heads or tails of their gender. Remembering feeling kinda jealous that his friends got to ditch school when the 'No-Show' Sensei didn't show up to school some days. Nodding his head at their request to take his time answering, proceeding to respond to their questions one by one.

"I want to do my part for the Village, to make not only my Clan but Konoha proud through honorable service. It's my dream to become one of the strongest in the Village someday, so I can watch out for, help, and save others but also do what's needed. Life can be hard, but that doesn't mean we ever stop trying - to make things better; for ourselves and those we care for." He spoke sincerely and truthfully, his words radiating with a clear tenor and concise fashion. Bright amber eyes meet coal-black with a sense of resolve and unshakable conviction. "Yes, I do. I know what it's gonna be like, we're going to experience loss. Failure. All of those horrible things. But we endure through it for a reason, right? We learn to grow from them. And we don't have to handle everything alone. We just need to remember to find joy in life." He spoke wisely for such a young child, clearly not disillusioned about what Shinobi life entails, having long ago been faced with the cold hard truth from both friends and family alike. Hardened through their already limited life experience as shown by the unnatural sharp look contained betwixt their eyes that seemed to bore through a person.

Taking another deep breath as he asked him how he felt in that moment and so, he reflected on it, staying silent for a handful of seconds while he plumed and delved deep in quiet reflection. "Both. I'm excited to graduate, but also feel a bit nervous. I feel ready… but nothing can really prepare you for the battlefield, right? I have my wits, the training I've received, and some abilities under my belt." Coughing, so as to clear their throat he waited and listened patiently until the final question came forth. "A Shinobi is someone who protects the village. We serve its interests, fighting and possibly dying on behalf of it. Some say we're tools to be used, and while that's true it's not all there is. Or at least it shouldn't be… still, we all have a duty to perform and the mission comes first."

A Poppy Blooms [Ataru/Graduation]Sept 22, 2023 12:11:57 GMT -5
Uchiha Izusa
Duty. Always.
Uchiha Izusa Avatar
groupLeaf Shinobi

A poppy blooms

Continuing to watch the young Uzumaki closely, Izusa listened as he spoke. Eloquent, careful wording, fully aware that even now he was being judged. Taking a certain line at this point could be enough for disqualification...

...fortunately for him, the student was saying all the right things. "I see." A bit of commentary as Ataru answered, reaching for the folder nearby and opening it up to jot down some of his answers. "Strong sense of duty, loyal to both clan and village... I should've brought a clipboard." For a moment he wrinkled his nose as he wrote. His handwriting was already bad enough. Hopefully he wouldn't get chewed out too bad. The instructor paused at his second answer.

Glancing up from the folder to watch for his facial expressions. 'We endure it for a reason' he said. Izusa narrowed his eyes... then nodded slowly. Still smiling. "At least that's what we tell ourselves." Once, he agreed. As a child himself. These days he was less and less certain. But these were Ataru's answers... so he kept commentary to himself. 

Regardless of his personal feelings, it was warming to hear him speak of joy and change. He could only hope that this line of work didn't erode those ideals. The Shinobi World was already full of cynics. Some light would be welcome.

A nod as he spoke of his feelings. "Very true." Izusa said, stopping his writing. He hadn't lied— this question was not an official one. So he wouldn't have to put it down on record. "The battlefield is a perilous place... but so long as you remember your studies, watch out for your comrades, and listen to your superiors? You'll be fine." Eyes closed.

To smile... though the truth of the matter wasn't so simple. Hayase Satoji, a squadmate of his in his youth was a model student. Hayase Satoji had impeccable teamwork and always followed orders. Hayase Satoji died all the same. 

But he wasn't here to dissuade the boy. Ataru seemed to have his convictions despite his youth. So... he kept on with his penning. "Protector." A pleasant surprise. He'd heard all sorts of answers. 'Hero', 'spy', 'cool guy', once. It seemed the student had a good head on his shoulders. "Well said." Izusa spoke. "We may make a shinobi out of you, yet."

It was sufficient for his standards. "Next up? Our spar." Looking to the boy, his smile persisted as he grabbed hold of his belongings. Carrying both of his blades and the folder, he stood up from his kneeling position and moved to set them aside. They were going to need space for this. "Are you ready, Ataru-kun?" The instructor asked of the student.

Two fingers extending on his right hand to form the Seal of Confrontation. He was the Uzumaki's senior, but respect was still due. "If so... begin." Izusa would wait. Drawing his right fist to his hip while his left hand remained in front.

A Poppy Blooms [Ataru/Graduation]Sept 23, 2023 12:49:04 GMT -5
Uzumaki Ataru
Uzumaki Ataru Avatar
groupLeaf Shinobi
He stayed silent and composed, wondering what he was writing even as he penned away within their notes in response to his answers. Worrying a bit, he had spoken from the soul of what he learned and hoped for the future wearing his heart on their sleeve as they got down to brass tax. Swallowing hard as he looked upon the Uchiha, he carried himself well and his smile brought one to the forefront of Ataru's face. Filling his expression with a bright jubilation showing off the more energetic innocent youthful side of his shining through in their dealings together.

As his Sensei spoke about wishing he brought a clipboard he walked away a few short steps before reaching down and picking up a thin paper sheet sized square stone tile, one used as decorative pieces lining the nearby garden. Thinking of leaping up onto the roof and maybe making use of something up there, this option proved more economic and easier. Brushing off the dirt that lines its surface he holds it out for him to take and make impromptu use of. "Here you go! This'll do, right?"

Having made his way back over either he'd take it or Ataru would place it aside once it was made clear to him that they'd forgo it. He was true to his word about asking him how he felt at that moment, seeming to be an honest good natured person Ataru. As he offered words of wisdom about the battlefield he listened keenly, it was important to retain the advice of others especially when it's born from experience he lacked. "Hai, I'll do my best!" Taking in a deep breath, he would sigh before words of affirmation rung forth from his mouth somewhat in praise for his answers. "Thank you." He said, in acknowledgment of the compliment.

As he explained the next step was a sparring session the Uzumaki nodded readily, taking on a combat stance somewhat inspired by the Hyuuga his position was also rooted in the traditional academy teachings of Taijutsu while also remaining fluid instead of locked together firmly. Spacing his legs apart and angling themselves in a particular way, he maintained a length of distance between himself and the instructor. Two fingers extending on their left hand, reciprocating the Seal of Confrontation shortly followed in succession with a single succinct word as a declaration of intent in response to his challenge. "Ready."

A Poppy Blooms [Ataru/Graduation]Sept 24, 2023 18:53:30 GMT -5
Uchiha Izusa
Duty. Always.
Uchiha Izusa Avatar
groupLeaf Shinobi

And though the leaves change

Seeing him write uncomfortably on his lap, Ataru wandered off and returned with a tile in hand. "Ah, perfect." Accepting the makeshift writing surface, he closed his eyes and smiled. "Extra points for being helpful!"

A pause, then a moment of thought before he shook his head. "No, wait... I'll probably get chewed out if I do that." It was unfortunate. But he was going to get chewed out regardless. Still, he did find himself growing rather fond of the young Uzumaki. Someone to keep an eye on in the coming years, for certain. "Alright, then." One final swish.

Oral examination: over. It was time for the real test to begin. As belongings were set aside and the two squared off with one another, Izusa watched the youth closely. Taking note of his stance. How he spaced his feet. And hands.

Evoking well-kept memories as he prepared himself. "A Jūken-adjacent stance?" He commented, equal parts intrigued and impressed. He'd witnessed a few fights involving members of their clan over the years. Enough to recognize the markers of their fighting style. "Interesting." It was common for younger shinobi to model their efforts on others. Smart, even. Though finding one's own unique style was the real sign of growing mastery, he felt.

Something he hoped to help with. The Seal of Confrontation was returned... and the bout begun. "You aren't reckless." Izusa noted as the boy didn't immediately charge. He gave an approving nod. "Good." Too many students were overeager. Content to rush in and swing wildly. Ataru was young but not foolish. A promising quality. "However..." A trailed word as the instructor gracefully dashed in. Throwing a slow telegraphed punch towards the boy's chest with his right hand... while attempting to sweep his legs out from underneath with his left leg.

Afterwards he would take a few steps back to reset his stance. "Whenever possible— always seize the initiative in straight-up combat." A word of advice as he allowed the boy to get his bearings. "An enemy shinobi won't wait, so you shouldn't either." Nodding, he faced around the boy slowly. Circling him and shifting his stance every so often. Lead hands, dominant foot— all to test his reflexes. And to see if he was able to adapt on the fly. "Now..." He began.

Sly smile crossing his lips as he motioned with two fingers for him to attack. "Show me what you can do, Ataru-kun."

A Poppy Blooms [Ataru/Graduation]Sept 24, 2023 21:20:31 GMT -5
Uzumaki Ataru
Uzumaki Ataru Avatar
groupLeaf Shinobi
"Only if they find out. It's not that big of a deal, right?" He says with a cheery somewhat mischievous look across their face, possessing an upbeat attitude even as he hands it over and gauges their reaction. Performing a few stretches as he places away his blades and other loose articles that might get in the way of their fight, sniffing taking in a deep breath of fresh air as a howling gale begins to wind its way through the training ground. Eliciting a chill through their bones, but one still pleasant to the skin even as it seeps in as they each take on a combat stance and the seal of confrontation comes lowered.

As his words came spoken forth, he reminded himself that the man across from him was an experienced Shinboi one though dedicated to the craft of teaching students had seen more, loved more, and likely lost more than he could possibly imagine given how he was now. Easily identifying the inspired combat stance he takes on, it impressed the boy and he worried that he might be able to easily counter his more roughened less refined martial art style. Dashing such thoughts from his mind, Ataru was primed and determined not to rush in half-cocked or haphazardly, choosing to study him in turn just as he did him. But that didn't sever his agency nor sense of initiative when choosing to be aggressive instead biding his time and letting them make the first move.

As the instructor leaps into action dashing in towards them, the Uzumaki side skirts and steps away out of the longer reach of their forward jab. Using the back of their extended arm he glances away the telegraphed blow using their wrist, directing the energy from the strike and shunting it away leaving an opportunity to capitalize on. However, he wasn't blind to potential counter-attacks in fact expecting it of a Shinobi of such caliber. Hopping into the air, he spun around into a rounding kick aiming to impact into their side perhaps knocking the breath out of them; seizing ahold of their waylaid arm to use as a fulcrum as he evades the sweeping arc meant to kick out their leg from under them. Not one for talk he wouldn't respond instead soaking in everything like a sponge, and acting purely reactively - living in the moment of their spar.

His form was fluid, and though it carried inspirations of the Hyuuga it was entirely his own. A diamond in the rough one implementing the use of his full body, instead of locking into a particular style not that Ataru even knew the insides out of one or was anywhere near to being considered a master. But he had the physical prowess and technique to back it up, one honed from a myriad of exchanges involving many Taijutsu practitioners in Konoha. As he sought to gain a measure of distance the boy scraped his foot into the dirt grounding his heel into the track in a nuanced manner perhaps as a quirk but also angling their body around as the Uchiha circles about them. As he approached again or simply at the most opportune moment, he would kick up a spray of dirt in the air directed toward their face proceeding to launch themselves forward using some evasive footwork before letting loose of barrage of quickly laced blows targeting the vital areas but focusing on soft, fast punches.
A Poppy Blooms [Ataru/Graduation]Sept 25, 2023 13:40:05 GMT -5
Uchiha Izusa
Duty. Always.
Uchiha Izusa Avatar
groupLeaf Shinobi

Some may fall, others remain

Upon hearing the boy's sly response, the instructor chuckled a bit. "Maybe so, Ataru-kun. Maybe so."

On the whole he was a rather unorthodox teacher. Rarely letting the confines of structure or formality dictate his lesson plans. But for this particular exam he thought it best to stick to procedure. As much as he'd prefer not to.

Lest any of his quirks detract from the young Uzumaki's performance. Speaking of which, it was one that Izusa was fairly so far. As he often did with his juniors he was holding back. Pulling punches, slowing down his strikes, to even the playing field somewhat. He was here to teach, critique, and examine. Not injure or maim by showing off.

Ataru evaded his slowed jab with little trouble. "Fast." He said, a bit impressed as the boy leapt into the air over his sweeping leg. "Good instincts." Another word of praise as he raised an arm to block the kick aimed at his side. "But..." The boy might have been talented... but he was still a student in the end. And so, the instructor's left palm flashed forward. Aiming to strike him flat in the chest and push him backwards if it connected. More forceful than the last.

Gradually easing off with his self-imposed restraints. "Remember, a shinobi must see through deception. I don't think you are but..." Izusa dashed forth. Much faster than any of his movements so far to meet Ataru's barrage head-on and without hesitation. "Never underestimate an opponent." Some dirt was kicked upwards, and the instructor merely squinted as he side-stepped. "Excellent." A smirk as his hands raised. Parrying the student's many punches with expert, trained hands. Dark eyes keeping track of his every movement. Recently he had been doing a bit of practice to hone his reflexes. Despite the gap between them any bout was a chance for learning. "You beat me to my next piece of advice—" He said calmly, slapping the boy's wrist away and swiftly circling behind. "Always fight dirty."

They were shinobi, after all. Honor and respecting proper conventions of battle had little place in their world. Now behind the boy, he reached out in an attempt to grab hold of him. One hand on his shoulder and the other restraining one of his arms. To keep him from jumping. Harder than before, his leg lashed out again at his ankles.

Using Gachō to try and sweep him off of his feet and pull him backwards at the same time. Hopefully to knock him on his back... or at the very least his rear. "Let's go, Ataru-kun." He said, backing off once more to give him some space. The boy was quick, and had a surprising amount of force behind his attacks. It was time to see if he could harness those qualities and direct them more efficiently. "Give it your all, this time." Still smiling, he nodded.

Their bout was nearly at its end... or it would be with only a few more counters at this rate.

OFFENSIVE TECHNIQUES:
NAME: Gachō [Goose]
CHAKRA USAGE: Very Low
CLASSIFICATION: Taijutsu
ELEMENT: n/a
DESCRIPTION:

Usually the third part of the Magamo > Kamo combo, the user drops low and delivers a powerful sweep to the legs of the opponent, forcing them to fall backwards due to the momentum still present from the Kamo kick, allowing the practitioner to follow up with a fourth and final move.

SPECIAL ABILITIES:

JISEISHIN - ENHANCED CHAKRA CONTROL

"Self control." Possessing only average chakra reserves, Izusa learned early on to keep his energy expenditure minimal. Using only the required amount of chakra and nothing more to perform his jutsu. This allows him to not only ration out his chakra more efficiently, but to remain active in battle for longer periods of time without tiring. Restraint is vital to any ninja.

SHARINGAN - KKG

Wielder of his clan's legendary dōjutsu, the Sharingan gives Izusa incredible sensory awareness. Color springs to life in vivid hues and his clarity is enhanced, making even chakra visible to his red eyes. Still incomplete since its awakening, it requires further improvement. As his one tomoe spins, his eyes allow him to perceive his opponent to an enhanced degree and follow their movements with more ease. Understanding firsthand the great cost that comes with furthering one's Sharingan, Izusa is in no rush to develop it soon. Instead utilizing it only when necessary and treating his Kekkei Genkai like any other skill. Notably, his dominant right eye has a tendency to activate first on its own when his emotions rise.

ONKOCHISHIN - INTELLIGENCE

"Review past, know future." An avid reader for as long as he can remember, Izusa is ever thoughtful. Scrolls on poetry, life, war, tactics, human nature— all providing him keen insight into others. Making him an experienced tactician. Applying this to his shinobi training, his sharp mind allows him to read situations and opponents expertly. Concocting masterful plans even in the midst of combat to compensate for his own shortcomings and capitalize on weaknesses in their defenses.
A Poppy Blooms [Ataru/Graduation]Sept 25, 2023 19:12:18 GMT -5
Uzumaki Ataru
Uzumaki Ataru Avatar
groupLeaf Shinobi
For all that it was, Izusa Sensei seemed not only to be a rather unorthodox instructor here at the Academy but also a person of similar character and likely one whose methods verged on and mixed together in regards to their life as a Shinobi in general. The stories were enough but facing him here and now was evidence enough, though it was clear to the boy that the Uchiha was holding back against him. It made sense, though that didn't mean he liked it whatsoever especially as their battle progressed with them engaging back and forth in a pitched spar.

He complimented him by the show of moves, but Ataru refused to give in to overconfidence for such was an extremely fast and insidious killer. As the block came anchored hooking in at his midriff, blocking the wheeling kick sent to strike into their side and impact along their ribs he knew he was in a spot of trouble. However it wasn't unrecoverable, using the weight and space within the air he veered back as the flat of their palm flashed forward. Using the back of his arm, he would shield his organs from a tight focused hit instead letting it clatter not quite harmlessly but better than a liver or kidney shot.

The shot had some hefty force to it's impact, sending them skirting backwards in a push causing them to rake their boot-laced feet across the ground. Digging their feet in, he would come to a stop a handful of paces away giving enough distance to pull off his dirty trick. Though such a thing as even that didn't work, it wasn't too much of a surprise to the Uzumaki. As he arrived forward levying a barrage of fists he found Izusa stepped to the fore as well, meeting him punch for punch, strike for strike. Golden beads of amber gold contrast against scorch black irises of coal, he was impressed at the pace and practically perfect interception of his blows.

The most important thing at the end of the day was that you lived to see the Sun set and a new one rise, as his words echoed in his head it rang clean in his mind like a bell. 'Always fight dirty,' do whatever you need to do in order to survive and see your family again, your home again, to complete the mission and live or lay your life down on behalf of the village if truly need be. This was the path he chose and Ataru wouldn't back down from his convictions, not after coming so far. "You have a lot of wisdom to share, Sensei." He spoke it with a note of pride, expressing an unsaid wish that said without saying he wanted to know him for longer than he had and experience more interactions with the sagely teacher.

As Izusa's arms looped forward attempting to seize them he did his utmost to wriggle out from it, as he latched onto him Ataru would grab them by the front facing cloth draped across their torso. Spurred on by his words he would jump once again, dodging the sweep but instead of breaking out would use the leverage and forward momentum to carry them into a headbutt. Enacting an all out attack, it was now or nothing as Ataru sought to force things toward a decisive conclusion.

A Poppy Blooms [Ataru/Graduation]Sept 27, 2023 2:03:51 GMT -5
Uchiha Izusa
Duty. Always.
Uchiha Izusa Avatar
groupLeaf Shinobi

Yet flowers blossom

An impact of his palm against the student's torso, a last-second guard thrown up. "That's it." He said.

Smirking as they continued their bout. Holding back as he was, it made the battle more even that it should have ever been. To the benefit of them both. Like this, he could test the minutiae of Ataru's capabilities. Note all of the details.

How solid his stance was, the efficacy of his footwork, how quickly he was able to adapt to the ever-changing conditions of battle. Thus far, he was impressed. The young Uzumaki was certainly rough around the edges as any academy student would be... but there was potential here. Real opportunity for greatness. And considering his age...

...he could quite possibly be one of the youngest shinobi Konohagakure no Sato had ever seen. If he ended up passing, that is. A slight chuckle escaped his lips at the boy's words. "It comes with experience." He said, as he moved.

Age meant little in the Shinobi World... but practical knowledge was invaluable. "You're a keen student, Ataru-kun."

To his slight surprise the boy was able to wriggle free of his hold. Maybe he had been restraining himself a little too much? Hopping over his sweeping leg, the boy leapt upwards in an attempt to headbutt him. "Woah!" An abrupt word as he leaned backwards, narrowly avoiding having his chin smashed into. "Close, but..." He moved. "Not quite."

Still airborne the child would find it difficult to adjust. Izusa took the opportunity to shift his grip, one hand attempting to grasp near his armpit and another near his ankle. The instructor smirked... then applied pressure to attempt to spin Ataru completely upside-down and push him away. To see if he could manage to right himself.

Land or fall, the instructor would look to the boy, narrow his dark eyes on him then... "I think that should about do it." A smile. Relaxing his stance as he slowly approached the student. The Seal of Reconciliation was offered.

Along with a thumbs-up. "Good showing, Ataru-kun." It really was, but they weren't quite done yet. "We've spoken, we've sparred... all that's left now is to demonstrate your grasp on some basic jutsu." The final step. Izusa turned to go retrieve the folder he had set aside and his pen. Walking back over to where the student was standing and giving him an encouraging nod. "Ready?" He asked, watching as closely as always. "Give me your best Henge, Bunshin, and Kawarimi." Pausing for a moment, he flipped to the final page of the paperclipped stack within the folder. "It isn't exactly original... but I'll have you transform into me." Another pause as he looked around. A training dummy not far from them was around the boy's size so he gestured towards it. "You can use that for your substitution." It'd do fine.

Izusa would save his critiques until after. A wrap-up of sorts. For now? "Last part of the exam, so finish strong." A smile and a nod. If his grasp on the fundamentals of Ninjutsu was as impressive as his Taijutsu, he had full faith. 

This would decide it all. Pass or fail. Graduate or be sent back for more study. As always, he watched closely.

OFFENSIVE TECHNIQUES:
N/A

SPECIAL ABILITIES:

JISEISHIN - ENHANCED CHAKRA CONTROL

"Self control." Possessing only average chakra reserves, Izusa learned early on to keep his energy expenditure minimal. Using only the required amount of chakra and nothing more to perform his jutsu. This allows him to not only ration out his chakra more efficiently, but to remain active in battle for longer periods of time without tiring. Restraint is vital to any ninja.

SHARINGAN - KKG

Wielder of his clan's legendary dōjutsu, the Sharingan gives Izusa incredible sensory awareness. Color springs to life in vivid hues and his clarity is enhanced, making even chakra visible to his red eyes. Still incomplete since its awakening, it requires further improvement. As his one tomoe spins, his eyes allow him to perceive his opponent to an enhanced degree and follow their movements with more ease. Understanding firsthand the great cost that comes with furthering one's Sharingan, Izusa is in no rush to develop it soon. Instead utilizing it only when necessary and treating his Kekkei Genkai like any other skill. Notably, his dominant right eye has a tendency to activate first on its own when his emotions rise.

ONKOCHISHIN - INTELLIGENCE

"Review past, know future." An avid reader for as long as he can remember, Izusa is ever thoughtful. Scrolls on poetry, life, war, tactics, human nature— all providing him keen insight into others. Making him an experienced tactician. Applying this to his shinobi training, his sharp mind allows him to read situations and opponents expertly. Concocting masterful plans even in the midst of combat to compensate for his own shortcomings and capitalize on weaknesses in their defenses.
A Poppy Blooms [Ataru/Graduation]Sept 27, 2023 21:05:23 GMT -5
Uzumaki Ataru
Uzumaki Ataru Avatar
groupLeaf Shinobi
He enjoyed the encouragement, the validation they received from Isuza's words as they proffered feedback and tidbits of wisdom through the course of their spar. It helped add credence to all his staunch effort sustained over the past year possessing a wide beaming smile filling their expression exuding a measure of joyful sunniness.

And yet, never for one moment did it serve to slacken or falter them in regards to the Uzumaki's abilities or pursuit of want in matching up against his Sensei with all they had. It was an incredibly enjoyable back-and-forth between the two, one that proved very insightful if not invaluable in showing the differences between a lowly Academy Student coming fresh out of the gate and ranking Jonin Sensei. Living up to his titular nickname throughout Konoha, particularly the Academy as a 'Spastic Spider Monkey.'

As the headbutt missed Ataru uses the momentum to swing through the air twisting into a forward flip, traversing into a downward axe kick attempting to use the element of surprise and circumstance to allow him to lay an impromptu reactive strike upon his instructor wishing to test not only there but his mettle in this mock dual. As it grazes past their face his ankle is seized in their grip, using his other foot to dig into the crook of their arm or cusp of his shoulder as they are thrown backward into the air once again - effectively repulsed. Following through with the inertia in a swirling spin until he flips again upright, landing across the ground about ten or twenty paces away standing vertically dragging across the ground as he steadies themselves in the aftermath of their separation.

Fully ready and willing to continue, he makes another combative pose as if prepared for a follow-up or about to capitalize on his own once more straight back into the fray of close quarters fighting. However, his concentration and state of mind become broken as Izusa speaks with a note of finality to their words and offers the Sign of Reconciliation. Sad to see it end, but glad to have weathered through the storm and gained such experience he reciprocates the gesture and comes to stand right before them once more. Appearing satisfied with the result though clearly yearning for more, he looks to see what the next natural step is and proceeds to hear them out accordingly.

Nodding succinctly he proceeds to waste no time weavimg through a series of hand seals at an incredible speed for a mere student, Ataru's image fades being replaced with a facsimile of Izusa, replicating not only his height and Uchiha looks to a stringent level of exacted detail but also copying their pale green haori draped over a well-fitted yukata, sporting the same Konohagakure hitai-ate shining on his brow, though without the Daishō as it was set aside beforehand. Even bearing the characteristic manila folder they had previously taken notes inside of, offering it out to them as if it was something that they had forgotten and needed use of. "I believe you may've forgotten and have need of this, Izusa Sensei." Speaking with a joking playfulness and level of mirth to their cheery tone, a series of more hand seals would play out with the same daring speed causing three other figures to broker into existence. Four Izusa's surround the original on all sides, one in each cardinal direction effectively boxing them in.

Making a suave sophisticated motion as they ready into the same initial martial stance as Izusa had at the beginning of their spar. It took Ataru a fair level of focus and dedication but he was confident in his skills and the practice exercised to get the beginning jutsu down pat. Some might consider the lessons he had undergone as outright hellish or crazy, but such was life as a shinobi where nothing could be considered too brutal or harsh if it allowed you to live to see another day. That and he held not only a talent but passion for it, despite the risk of dangers involved always striving forward long after many others had gone home to enjoy themselves or go out to play; he felt somewhat anathema as to the mentality and upbringing of how other children were raised while very much remaining rooted in it place.

Whether he needed to maintain a constant emission of steady chakra or a burst atop the mental focus required, the Uzumaki did not struggle as he once had in the past. Proving capable especially as after a minute or so of persistence he would weave a further set of hand signs and they would all collectively disappear Ataru included in a huff of smoke. Reappearing some ten meters away, a dummy uprooted from the ground plopping down at the Uchicha's feet as the boy whistled and waved on at the instructor from a ways off before subsequently doing it once more recycling the same signs before phase-shifting into oblivion. Materializing before them and sending the dummy right back to its original place. "How was that, Sensei?" His tone was hopeful but also carried a trace of sincerity, genuinely valuing and wanting to hear the older man's opinion clearly, starting to look up to them as things had progressed over the course of the review.
A Poppy Blooms [Ataru/Graduation]Sept 28, 2023 16:40:54 GMT -5
Uchiha Izusa
Duty. Always.
Uchiha Izusa Avatar
groupLeaf Shinobi

No longer a bud

This was it... the final stretch. In light of that, Izusa put on his best 'serious teacher face'.

So far he had been supportive and encouraging of the boy, but it was his duty in the end to critique. Something he preferred to save for the end. To give summation of his findings before letting the boy know the results of the exam.

With that being said, he watched silently as Ataru proceeded. Jotting down notes as he transformed into a replica of himself. Taking a few steps forward to examine the Henge closely. Using those keen eyes of his to look for any discrepancy, any hint of fault. "Interesting." All he said before backing off and scribbling down a few more words.

A brief twitch of his mouth as the transformed student handed him a folder. Like he wanted to smirk... but he couldn't. Serious business and all. Izusa kept close watch as he performed more hand seals and created several clones of his changed form. Five Izusa's in total including himself. Tatami would hate this. "I see." A muttered word...

Followed by more swishing of his pen. And finally his focus heightened to follow every movement Ataru made as he used the Kawarimi no Jutsu. Puff of smoke, swapping places quickly with the log... "And that should do it." Done.

Izusa stood silently, flipping between pages of the documents within his folder. After a long pause he looked to the youth. And narrowed his eyes. "Uzumaki Ataru." He said, all but glaring at the boy. "In the first part of this exam, you claimed loyalty to both your clan and Konohagakure no Sato. The weight of these words will need proven." He began, flipping to the next page before continuing on. Shifting his gaze between paper and student. Still assessing even now. Watching for his reaction. "During our spar you demonstrated an aptitude for taijutsu... but you need to work on your stance. Solidify those foundations and make that style your own, not just an imitation." Izusa took a moment to write down a few more notes in the margins. So he could look back over his file later if need be. Flipping to the final page he looked over the words he had written. "Just now, you showed proficiency in the Academy Jutsu, though your Henge needs sharpening and your Kawarimi needs to be faster." A pause. "With all that being said—"

The instructor stopped, squinting as he looked down at the paper. Nodding after a bit, then glancing at the boy. Letting silence fill the air. Then, finally... he shut his folder. "...you pass." A smile. The exam was finished. Success.

It may have been a bit too round-about... but he had a reason. "Sorry about the wind-up. Had to make sure I was giving some actual criticism too instead of just praise." Izusa laughed a bit nervously as he scratched the side of his face. Hopefully he hadn't make it seem like he was going to fail or anything. The instructor looked the boy over for a moment before taking a step forward. "You came here today a student of our academy..." He said, reaching into his haori to grab hold of something. Izusa's smile held as he slowly withdrew the item. A brand new hitai-ate affixed to a standard dark blue cloth. Freshly polished and shining in the sun. "You leave a genin of Konohagakure no Sato." 

Extending the forehead protector, he gave an encouraging nod. "Go ahead, try it on." This had always been his favorite part. Earning one's hitai-ate was an important milestone in any shinobi's career. And hopefully for Ataru, the first of many to come. "Feel free to swap out the band, I'm sure you've seen them in all colors and sizes by now." Blue, red, green— it was up to him. "Now this isn't a gift, Ataru-kun. It's a badge that symbolizes your commitment to the village." Part of him was sure the boy already knew, but he felt obligated to say his spiel all the same. "It means more responsibility... and with that comes danger. Always remember your training and never stop honing your skills." It was the best advice he could offer to the boy. If he was intent on walking this path it wouldn't come without hardship. Ataru recognized this in the beginning and resolved to continue. So... he would have to grow.

To learn and improve... so that he could bloom into a splendid shinobi. Today was the first big step on his journey to doing that. What came next would be up to his own grit, determination, and force of will. Izusa's eyes stayed fixed on the headband wherever he decided to tie it. "Wear it wherever's most comfortable... but always wear it with pride."

Reaching for the boy's shoulder, he gave an encouraging squeeze. "And don't forget about your sensei, huh?" A smirk crossed his face. "Stop by and tell me about your stories from time-to-time." Some clamoring in the distance caught his attention, and he looked up to see a crowd of students emerging from one of the buildings. Looked like class was out. "If you ever need guidance I'll always be here." He said with a smile, before motioning towards the other kids with his head. "Now run along. I'm sure your friends and parents will be excited to hear the good news." With that?

Izusa would watch, a hint of pride in his expression. Uzumaki Ataru, shinobi of Konohagakure. An up-and-coming talent to watch for sure. Moving to collect his swords, he slid his katana and wakizashi both into his white obi. Then began tidying up around the training grounds. Part of him happy for the boy's success and another part worried...

...he could only hope that the boy's career would prove more peaceful than his own.

A Poppy Blooms [Ataru/Graduation]Oct 2, 2023 10:59:10 GMT -5
Uzumaki Ataru
Uzumaki Ataru Avatar
groupLeaf Shinobi
And just like that, it was over. The Uchiha Sensei rounded things out after his little play with the folder and the directional compass of recreated Sensei's. Called to a halt with a note of finality as he puffed away and puffed back to the forefront of their little rodeo within the training grounds. Standing at attention as he called things to a stop, his gaze went forward looking straight ahead before meeting his narrowed look. Pondering if he performed well throughout, if the answers he told implicitly were the right ones, or if he should have been more deliberate and wondering if he was even ready. Knowing that he was, and it was just nerves Ataru proceeded to brush off such feelings, banishing the doubt from his mind outright though understanding that this was simply the beginning not the end of his journey, and a lot more time, effort, and hard work needed to be put in.

Anticipation hung heavy in the air, it was so palpable you could practically cut the line of tension with a Kunai. Listening with bated breath as the instructor called out their name before following it with a winding statement, denoting pitfalls in his abilities. Places and areas in which he needs to work on and improve, he nodded at the appropriate points in time. Filing away each of their critiques the boy took them to heart while also not taking them as personal attacks, as they arrived at the end of the line.

He stood silently before the final tolling decision came handed down. As the words left his mouth the boy’s brain short-circuited for a handful of moments. He had done it, the realization finally sunk in etching its way into his bones as the Uzumaki's review came to its formal end. Smiling dumbly, joyfully at the prospect of leaving to go on and take the next step in their career. He shook his head with a level of discernment, exuding a newfound pride and purpose as the man apologized about the long trek and subsequent wind-up of his summary. ”Mm-mh, it’s okay. You’ve helped me a lot Izusa Sensei.” Looking down with a glint to his eye, levying forth both hands as he takes receipt of the offered brand new hitai-ate, fingers wrapping around the glistening band of metal and standard dark blue cloth affixed to it with a bit of reverence. This moment was a milestone, one that held a lot of meaning to the young boy as clear as day. At his urging, he would press it forth to their sweat-creased forehead but not before wiping it with the back of their sleeve. As it sits resting over their brow, his palms would travel down the contours of cloth around to the back of his head and tie it into a smooth knot. Beaming as bright as the Sun, he looked up at his Sensei with a smile that could melt a heart, two fingers on either end of the headband adjusting it for emphasis showing off the emblazoned symbol of Konoha stenciled along its metallic surface.

Nodding at his spiel, he was glad for the reminder even if he already knew it, basking in the glow of his achievement but also tempering it by what it meant to carry such a thing. "Hai, Sensei. I won’t ever stop. Arigato.” The path ahead would be long and thorny, fraught with challenge and hardship but Ataru was determined to go down it for better or worse. As he reaches out and gives the boy a comforting reaffirming squeeze, he looks down to the floor before meeting his eyes once again. Blazing golden swirls meet a contrasting monolith of coal-black as he pipes up. "So this means I'm not a kid anymore, right? I'm a real Shinobi now, not just a Student… you, ya mind if I do one last thing as a kid then?" He let the question linger in the air, awaiting some sort of indication or assent before deciding to throw caution to the wind and deciding hell with it, springing forth and hugging the Uchiha close around the waist. This moment held a few connotations to it, that being in Ataru’s mind this marked a moment where he passed from being an Academy Student, and just some kid to a real Shinobi with all its dangers, crucibles, and experiences on the horizon.

It was the last time the boy could ever act like a kid because he wouldn’t be viewed as such anymore. Instead, he was a Konoha nin, a Shinobi with duties, responsibilities, and an oath to live by. He had sworn it only a few minutes before and by Izusa’s own declaration needed to live up to such a thing, words are wind so Ataru needed to prove otherwise. While it might be heartbreaking to some it was a telltale truth of the life they had chosen and come to be raised in, that kids weren’t just kids but soldiers, tools even. A stark moment of innocence that wilted before one’s very eyes and died, showcasing a remnant of vulnerability as he eventually parts from his Sensei with a grateful look of acceptance and newfound stoic demeanor. "Thank you, Izusa Sensei. I won’t ever forget and promise to visit, I swear.” Taking a deep breath in and then one out, he was excited to go tell his Mom and their friends, especially his Master. Nodding at his words of encouragement he spoke on the same wavelength of thoughts that filled Ataru’s mind, waving him goodbye before turning on his heel and walking away, hearing the clamor as well as watching the sight of Academy Kids filtering out. It was something that he would miss, maybe one that he did even now.

Departing from the grounds as Uzumaki Ataru, Genin, a freshly made bonafide Shinobi of Konoha. Sun song laughter echoed into the air radiating outwards as he jumped onto a slanted roof, leaping into the air and once more taking flight as he traveled across the rooftops of Konoha.