Everything We Hear is an Opinion

compose a reply
Everything We Hear is an OpinionSept 22, 2023 2:47:00 GMT -5
Kuronmeru Keiji
Best way to keep a secret is to make them think they know the answer.
Kuronmeru Keiji Avatar
groupMist Shinobi
age 30 years old birthday April 14th rank Special Jounin occupation OT1 Leader | Shireikan Tantei
     Bitter, he thought. Tea had never been a favorite of his. It was the drink of sophistication though, of reputable establishments such as this fine teahouse and so he put up with it. The chaya was nestled near the bay of Gengetsu, though there were no sailors within: most tended to stick to bars.

Keiji had come for 'reasons of state security'. Uzumaki Ichigoni had not done anything subversive - at least not yet, according to the more skeptical of Kirigakure intelligence officers - but his status as an Uzumaki meant he would undergo quite a bit of scrutiny as a matter of course. Such focus was often cast on foreign clans, especially ones from enemy lands.

In the past he had had junior officers do the tailing and information gathering process on his colleague. But the time had come where he wanted to see the man with his own eyes, form his own opinion. The deduction that he would visit this teahouse at this hour, on this day, after he came ashore, was made a long time ago.

His room and table was at the back of the building, straight ahead from the entrance - the only spot one could sit and still see who entered. A kettle sat upon the sand, hot and ready to serve, though Keiji's cup had only gone half-drunk so far and was cold. He sat, not in seiza but a comfortable leaning-back position, tapping his fingers on the wooden table and waiting.

last edit by Kuronmeru Keiji on Sept 22, 2023 2:50:20 GMT -5
Phantasm has written 76 posts
Everything We Hear is an OpinionSept 23, 2023 4:58:39 GMT -5
Uzumaki Ichigoni
Dattebayo.
Uzumaki Ichigoni Avatar
groupnull
age 24 years old birthday January 1st rank Jounin occupation Kaigun-daisa
[googlefont=Crimson Text]
くたばれ
The Gojira loomed in port, a towering ship with a sculpted dragon as its figurehead in which the very helm of the ship stood leading from the front. It commanded the attention of the town on its arrival, and that much the Uzumaki hated. Crowds of peddlers, pickpockets, and prostitutes were frequent scenes at port: all after the wallets of sailors who yearned for comforts that they’d missed at sea. Slipping away from the crowds without drawing attention was always a hassle. Today, he’d transformed himself into an unassuming older sailor and pushed his way through the port to move to his favorite hiding spot.

By the time he’d arrived, Ichigoni had dropped his transformation. He felt he was far enough from the ship, although there was a feeling of being watched that sat in the back of his mind.

He slid open a shoji door. His hair was down and untied, letting it flow freely over his shoulders, and he’d replaced his usual headband with an eye-patch that was a bit more traditional and less eye catching [haha]. His gaze fell on a patron sitting facing the door only briefly before he made his way further into the tea house.

The seat he took was at a table that rested only a few inches from the floor with a small pillow for seating. The service woman came up to him and smiled, placing a cup on the table and pouring him his usual delight.

His eye wandered back to the stranger. Was he staring at him? Ichigoni could feel the hairs tingling on the back of his neck.

Sharp has written 112 posts
Everything We Hear is an OpinionOct 9, 2023 21:26:07 GMT -5
Kuronmeru Keiji
Kuronmeru Keiji Avatar
groupMist Shinobi
age 30 years old birthday April 14th rank Special Jounin occupation OT1 Leader | Shireikan Tantei
     Uzumaki, he thought. Keiji'd never been one for disparaging foreign clans. He'd always had his hands full with the bumbling morons of his village, plus his relatives.

As far as he was concerned, there wasn't any reason to suspect him. But he was a Fuuinjutsu expert. He could be hiding any number of things. That said, Keiji didn't think the man had any reason to betray Kirigakure, or to help any other village, unless there was something very lucrative in it for him.

Isn't much in this for me, Keiji thought glumly. He leaned back. Hopefully the man would at least offer him some interesting conversation. It was hard to imagine a fight coming from this. It'd be a long day before he a chance to anything of that sort.

Keiji stood up slowly and made his way across the establishment to Ichigoni's room. Arms drawn back into his kimono, he entered and looked down at his colleague. He hadn't disguised himself in any way, though he wasn't sure if Ichigoni would have any reason to recognize him.

Most of Keiji's work was secretive, and they'd never gone on a mission together. Perhaps he might've caught a glimpse from across a room, or on the street. Perhaps not though.

"Mind if I take a seat, Captain?" he asked with a smirk.

| 221 words
Everything We Hear is an OpinionOct 16, 2023 23:42:10 GMT -5
Uzumaki Ichigoni
Dattebayo.
Uzumaki Ichigoni Avatar
groupnull
くたばれ
Ichigoni met gazes with the man’s dark, dark red eyes. He was in a dark traditional attire, and it looked like it was of the finest quality. Somewhat older in the face than the Uzumaki too, he thought. Probably an officer from one of his ships he’d forgotten meeting. The jig was up then. His little private place had been compromised. He did his best to hide his sigh by holding his tea cup up over his mouth.

"Of course, have a seat,”
he said. "I was just enjoying a bit of tea between meetings. I hope I haven’t forgotten an appointment that I made with you.”

He very well could have. There were so many personnel, appointments, and meetings that took up his time that they were hard to keep track of. He even opened up a little scroll at the table and started looking over jotted notes trying to see if he’d forgotten something today.

Meanwhile, the young woman from before appeared. She bowed to Keiji and smiled. "Can I get you something to drink?” she asked. "We’ve got tea, and even some rare imported "caw-fee”, it is very bitter but it has a stronger kick to it.”

Everything We Hear is an OpinionOct 18, 2023 7:07:43 GMT -5
Kuronmeru Keiji
Kuronmeru Keiji Avatar
groupMist Shinobi
     Keiji gave the woman his best 'normal' smile. "Caw-fee sounds nice," he said, restraining his sarcasm as best he could. They had coffee at the prison. Only for himself and Shouki. It'd helped Keiji stay up the whole night torturing some poor bastard (he hadn't known anything) though he certainly hadn't been lacking for energy anyway.

He turned his eyes back to Ichigoni, meeting his burgundy one. "'Course not, captain. You know I'd be the first to remind you, anyway." Keiji stated, playing up to a sense of familiarity in the hopes it'd guilt the Uzumaki even a little.

The woman soon returned with the cup setting it down in front of Keiji, who dipped his finger in and then ran it around the edge in some odd ritualistic tic. He made like he was about to sneeze, turning his face away from Ichigoni and shoving it into the crook of his elbow. "'Scuse me, sir- ah." He raised back up. "Nothing, after all."

Keiji rubbed his nose, then ran a thumb under his eye in a gesture that said: Mighty tired lately. If Ichigoni was paying enough attention, he'd notice a slight darkening around Keiji's eyes that hadn't been there before the 'sneeze.' Easily misconstrued for eyebags, though the Kuronmeru now seemed to be focusing more critically on his captain.

"You're an Uzumaki, aren't you captain? What're your thoughts on Uzushiogakure? Are you from there? If you don't mind me askin'." He said, peering over the edge of his cup while he drained the coffee - black.

Using Black Soldier, low cost, to emulate a Visual SA (for observing Ichigoni.) 1/3 rounds.
| 257 words
last edit by Kuronmeru Keiji on Oct 18, 2023 7:15:13 GMT -5
Everything We Hear is an OpinionOct 19, 2023 2:00:34 GMT -5
Uzumaki Ichigoni
Dattebayo.
Uzumaki Ichigoni Avatar
groupnull
くたばれ
Ichigoni paid little mind to the presumed officer as he continued sipping his tea, murmuring grunts of approval at what sounded like the start of normal ass-kissing that went in one ear and out of the other. He heard the sneeze, but the change in the man’s face went unnoticed as he was mostly watching the inside of the shrinking shoreline of his cup.

Keiji’s enhanced sight would catch a hairline crack form in the handle of Ichigoni’s cup form at the mention of Uzushiogakure before it completely broke and crashed onto the floor. His uncovered eyebrow furled. The free hand shot up and a stake slid forward, and unless avoided the Uzumaki would let the very tip of his weapon prod at the stranger’s neck. Not enough to break the skin, but uncomfortable nonetheless. His single eye stared daggers.

"When I set foot in Uzushiogakure for the first time, a sea of blood will follow behind me. I will plant the banner of my homeland, Kirigakure, into my grandfather’s corpse,” he said as the tea shop lady scrambled to sweep up the glass scattered across the floor. "Until then, I will not tolerate the disrespect of being associated with those dogs. Do you understand?”

He’d keep his stake prodded, or if it had been avoided he’d point it forward towards them in a threatening gesture. His nostrils were flared and his face was flush. It was clearly a touchy subject for the Uzumaki.

NAME: Hisan Fūgui [Soaring Sealing Stake]
CHAKRA USAGE: Low
CLASSIFICATION: Fūinjutsu
ELEMENT: -
HANDSEALS: 0
DESCRIPTION:
With his clan's secret style of wielding seals, the Uzumaki manifests an iron-hard meter of chakra in the form of a sharpened stake-like rod, created to be wielded as a weapon. To be pierced by this metal-rending spear is to activate the sealing effects of its nature, as it quickly binds to and paralyzes the actions of the surrounding body parts. The stake itself actually fails to wound its target, despite how it may appear, only petrifying the tissues surrounding the seal. This works to immobilize the enemy, as a single stake to one's limbs or torso is enough to turn a fight against their favor. Implied by the name, the user may also create and launched a stake from their body, manifesting as an unexpected flying projectile with sealing capabilities. When added into another seal, this technique acts as a temporary paralyzing defense mechanism against those who physically tamper with the benefitted seal, save for its user. This includes outside threats as well as those within the seal, preventing captives from releasing themselves through rudimentary means.

Everything We Hear is an OpinionOct 19, 2023 2:34:34 GMT -5
Kuronmeru Keiji
Kuronmeru Keiji Avatar
groupMist Shinobi
     The effects of his words had been apparent as soon as he had said them. The tensed muscles, stiffened form, raw anger visible in his single scarlet eye. The movement that led into the thrusting of the stake had been registered, earlier than they would have been otherwise. Keiji didn't flinch.

His non-response might've been suspicious, but Keiji knew many of these officers were known to rely on certain... medicines. Especially after their shifts, where Ichigoni might not notice as readily.

It was one of the known vices of the masses, those of lesser wits and fortitudes. They seemed little more than automatons to Keiji. Ichigoni could assume as much, that his senses were dulled through use, though the guise was no longer really needed. He knew what he needed - the reaction seemed genuine.

"My," Keiji said with a smile as the point dug into his flesh. "I hadn't realized, sir. My apologies." He looked slightly down on the Uzumaki, with a very small smirk.

How far might he go? the Kuronmeru thought to himself, laughing in his own head. No one had to know if they had a little scuffle. The fun would easily cover the headache from dealing with any eyewitnesses. Prodding was oh so fun. Especially prodding the self-righteous.

"Though, I must say, sir," he spoke softly. "you don't think you might be overreacting a little? I mean, what did they even do to you?" His smile curled up on one side, in a sinister way that abandoned any attempt at keeping up his façade. Blood and chakra swirled around under his skin, prepared in case the redhead couldn't contain his wrath.

Round 2/3 of Black Soldier
| 276 words
last edit by Kuronmeru Keiji on Oct 19, 2023 2:36:03 GMT -5
Everything We Hear is an OpinionOct 20, 2023 15:57:21 GMT -5
Uzumaki Ichigoni
Dattebayo.
Uzumaki Ichigoni Avatar
groupnull
くたばれ
Ichigoni stood up and retracted the stake back into his sleeve, digging his left canine into his covered lip until he felt a sting. He reached his left arm back into his back pocket and retrieved a linen pouch full of ryo, then pulled out enough to cover about ten times the worth of the dropped teacup.

"What business is it of yours?” he asked. Although he’d disarmed himself, he was still seething. "This isn’t academy anymore. I don’t have to answer to every fool unconvinced of my loyalty.”

He clenched a fist. The Uzumaki had gotten his senses together well enough not use a weapon on an ally, but he still had half a heart to punch the stranger. He’d spent his entire life trying to prove himself to everyone around him, and knew that nothing he did would ever be enough for some people. Whether it was Keiji’s intent or not, he was lumping him in with that crowd. He sighed and fell back into the habit of explaining himself regardless.

"My father knew this land better than Uzushiogakure, and served it loyally,” he said. "But that didn’t stop the clan from sending butchers to kill him right in front of me.”

Everything We Hear is an OpinionOct 25, 2023 6:19:37 GMT -5
Kuronmeru Keiji
Kuronmeru Keiji Avatar
groupMist Shinobi
     Keiji sipped his coffee again and set it down lightly, with a smile. What a shame, he thought, glancing at the panicking employee who had retreated from the room. A sigh shook him. The redhead had more control over his anger than Keiji had expected or hoped for.

Still, he was clearly angry. But there was little thrill in verbal sparring for Keiji. It was entertaining to manipulate, to poke and prod - especially when it was his relatives, sure, but it was more a time-filler before real action. He looked down at the table idly, then back up at Ichigoni.

"You know, Uzumaki," Keiji said as he sat unnaturally still. "People always have reasons for doing things. Shinobi especially so." He leaned back. "I don't buy that the clan had him killed for no reason." The Kuronmeru held his hand up to halt Ichigoni from replying.

At his call, a different waitress - one with more spine, evidently taking over for her poor coworker - came and took Keiji's order. At what must've been record time, she returned with two plates of takoyaki and set them down in front of each of them. Keiji skewered one from his plate and popped it into his mouth.

"Probably," he said between chews. "they had a good reason."

3/3 Rounds Black Soldier
| 213 words
last edit by Kuronmeru Keiji on Oct 25, 2023 6:21:40 GMT -5
Everything We Hear is an OpinionOct 28, 2023 12:24:28 GMT -5
Uzumaki Ichigoni
Dattebayo.
Uzumaki Ichigoni Avatar
groupnull
くたばれ
Ichigoni exhaled steam. There wasn’t anything he could imagine more infuriating than this person, and what they just said crossed a line. Old-fashioned Uzumaki rage bubbled up to the surface and malice burned through his being, and in that moment he forgot who he was.

He raised his right fist suddenly and threw it across the table with a quick jab towards the stranger’s mouth stuffed with takoyaki. His own dish rolled around on the plate as he rocked the table.

The server cried and rushed back towards the kitchen. Along the way, she tripped over one of the chairs at another table that hadn’t been pushed in, knocking her head on one of the low hanging light fixtures on her way tumbling down. The light strobed back and forth like a pendulum, making the room darker and brighter with each pass.

The sounds of a haggard voice inside the kitchen called out. "Cut out all that racket!” the man’s voice echoed.

After throwing the jab, Ichigoni’s arm retracted back into a boxing stance and he began shuffling himself out from behind the table. It didn’t seem like one punch was enough to quell the storm that the Kuronmeru had brought on.

last edit by Uzumaki Ichigoni on Oct 28, 2023 12:26:28 GMT -5
Everything We Hear is an OpinionNov 9, 2023 2:40:53 GMT -5
Kuronmeru Keiji
Kuronmeru Keiji Avatar
groupMist Shinobi
     Keiji grinned as a trickle of black rolled down his chin. He wiped it with a thumb and licked it off. For a moment it seemed he wasn't going to do anything, as he dabbed the corned of his mouth with a sleeve and skewered a takoyaki that had fallen onto the floor. He chewed it quickly and swallowed.

Suddenly the table flew up into the air, flung vertical in between the Kuronmeru and the Uzumaki thanks for a well-placed kick from underneath. Waitstaff screamed as dishes flew about the room, shattering and sending shards of porcelain scattering. The room strobed in near blacks and whites as a second fixture swung wildly.

"Come on then, fishspawn-fuck!" Keiji yelled out through a black grin as he leapt to his feet, hoping to confuse him even more with a jab at his undisclosed parentage.

Thick blood pumped through his veins like a well-oiled machine, enriching his muscles and preparing him for a Taijutsu fight with greater strength and speed than he might otherwise have had. It felt good.

Keiji launched himself forward, violently shattering through the table as he hurtled at Ichigoni, aiming to tackle the Uzumaki right through the shogi doors and onto the ground, where he'd try to headbutt him and pummel his face with a flurry of punches.

He was smiling like a madman, like he was restraining himself from cackling.

Using Black Soldier, medium cost, unspec -> secondary in Taijutsu [1/3]
| 232 words
last edit by Kuronmeru Keiji on Nov 9, 2023 2:42:48 GMT -5
Everything We Hear is an OpinionNov 16, 2023 13:54:15 GMT -5
Uzumaki Ichigoni
Dattebayo.
Uzumaki Ichigoni Avatar
groupnull
くたばれ
Rushing to step back and knocking his stool over in the process, the Uzumaki avoided the table toppling onto his foot by the margin of a few centimeters. Ichigoni froze when the stranger hurled an insult at his maternal heritage.

"Who—!” It was all he managed to get out before the air escaped his lungs and he felt his feet lift from the ground and his body hitting a collapsing shogi. They surfed on the door and skid onto the throughway, where a small crowd of people began to gather at the commotion. His spine sent a distressing shriek to his brain as they landed, and his brain was rattled by a headbutt.

He came to by the time fists started flying, bringing his arms up to block. Then, he’d pull their body down towards him to reduce the leverage his attacker could put on his arms to make his strikes inefficient. Still, at best he was neutralizing the attack. The two seemed to be of the same weight, but regardless the Uzumaki would focus his efforts on throwing his chest and hips trying to roll to get on top of the grapple.

"Why do you know so much about me?” he demanded as they were locked in the pin.

Everything We Hear is an OpinionDec 10, 2023 5:43:09 GMT -5
Kuronmeru Keiji
Kuronmeru Keiji Avatar
groupMist Shinobi
     "I make a point-" he laughed breathily between punches. "- to keep track of all the sub-human trash in my village." His strikes seemed to roll off of Ichigoni's guard, weak and ineffectual despite his boost. Keiji wasn't a particularly well-trained Taijutsu user - the exact details of grappling and how get the most force behind your blows evaded him.

"Bad enough we have to share it with all the low-class clans!" Keiji grabbed hold of his foe's forearms, trying to pry them apart to no avail. He shifted his weight, aiming to knee the Uzumaki in the side of the head. "But foreigners?!"

But the move threw him off-balance and allowed Ichigoni, who'd been focused on getting out and on top, to shove him off and onto his back. He cursed loudly as the redhead took control of the tussle, throwing his own arms up now to ward off blows to his head. Black blood pooled in his mouth from a gash in his gums, just as it ran down his chin from his cracked lip.

The teahouse was in uproar: people tripping over the broken remains of the door, sidestepping the writhing mass that was the two men wrestling. Voices yelled out, wood-on-wood smacking as the doors were thrown open and people rushed out onto the street.

Black Soldier round 2/3
| 217 words
last edit by Kuronmeru Keiji on Dec 10, 2023 5:44:12 GMT -5
Everything We Hear is an OpinionDec 12, 2023 14:52:53 GMT -5
Uzumaki Ichigoni
Dattebayo.
Uzumaki Ichigoni Avatar
groupnull
くたばれ
With both of them wrapped up on the ground, the knee couldn’t quite make it to his head, instead digging into his upper rib and armpit. It hurt bad enough to knock the wind out of Ichigoni, who braced his teeth shut as he rolled on top of the stranger. He had to withhold his instinct to drive a sealing stake into their body.

Watching the dark ichor oozing down the man’s lips, Ichigoni’s eye lit up with recognition. "Foreigner… Low Class.” — He’d heard it all before.

"Kuronmeru,” he said in a low voice. "I should have guessed.”

He glanced at the teahouse behind him and the gathering crowd. His usual pallid complexion flushed red with anger and embarrassment. This was the show that the Kuronmeru wanted. It would only get worse if he continued.

Ichigoni would attempt to lift and push off of the man. Then he’d take a few steps back and hold his arms up. He was ready to defend himself, but not planning to attack again otherwise. He turned a glance to the owner of the teashop, looking at the destruction of her shogi with disdain.

"I’ll pay for the damages,” he told her. "We are done here. Aren’t we?”

Everything We Hear is an OpinionDec 23, 2023 4:15:30 GMT -5
Kuronmeru Keiji
Kuronmeru Keiji Avatar
groupMist Shinobi
     "Coward!" Keiji yelled, practically screamed. "Backing out now that you know who I am?" he accused with a black grin.

He spat a blob of congealed blood on the floor, wiped it in with his sandal. "You're right to recognize you can't win," Keiji laughed. "But at least have the balls to try. You're taking all the fucking fun out of it."

Keiji sighed and looked over at the owner, flashed a grin. "Don't take his money. Doubt the squirmy little bastard even had enough to pay for his food in the first place." He looked back at Ichigoni with a scowl.

He always hated getting back to business. Much more fun when they'd been trying to kill each other. But he'd have to write in his report that this lily-livered foreigner 'had at least' had the restraint to stop himself from driving a stake into his side. Not that anyone would read it, or that it'd impact his standing in Kirigakure.

Keiji smiled nonetheless. At least the embarrassment might cause the redhead a few nights of restless sleep, cringing over how he'd let himself get provoked. And the satisfaction of 'knowing he'd won' - at least in Keiji's eyes - would put a smile on his face each time he saw Ichigoni. And he'd be sure to rub it in every single time they spoke. Hopefully often.

Keiji sideeyed the Uzumaki as he made his way out the door. "I'll be sure to keep a real good eye on you, Ichigoni. Watch your back when you're in our village." He wiped the blood from his face with the back of his fist. "Better yet, you could scamper back to that shithole your kind call home."

| 284 words