compose a reply
Splunking into Danger! [Mission]Oct 4, 2023 16:22:42 GMT -5
Nōhime Ouritsu
Nindo Goes Here: Edit Profile > Personal > Most Recent Status
Nōhime Ouritsu Avatar
groupRock Shinobi
age 17 years old birthday rank Chuunin occupation
bleed it out
Another day, another mission that needed completing. In a country this large there was always someone that needed saving or a package to be delivered, but other times there came along situations that weren't nearly as glamorous but still needed to get done all the same, and this was one of those times. Being the country of earth meant that in any conceivable direction there was a rock formation that had been dug into, excavated, explored, mined, etc., and over the many, many years spots like this became abundant across the land. Over time, however, for any number of reasons a lot of these places were abandoned and either fell into disrepair or were in the process of being reclaimed by nature. Unfortunately unless the location was of some importance it was oft left unattended leading to explorations, squatting, injury or some other outcome that could not continue to go unchecked.

Ouritsu had been tasked with checking out one of these thought-to-be abandoned locales to ensure that no one had either gotten themselves lost, injured, or were using it for less than desirable purposes. A routine check up with the possibility of shenanigans sounded about right for this place. There would be one other joining him for this mission, a genin named Jou who the Nohime wasn't familiar with but hey, if the higher ups decided to have him tag along then so be it. Idly kicking a small rock about at the village gates the chunin would wait for his mission partner to show up, the location they had been assigned was a decent distance away so they needed to get a move on.

words -  - notes
(C) ELLIE @ GANGNAM STYLE
Kata has written 318 posts
Splunking into Danger! [Mission]Oct 4, 2023 17:40:52 GMT -5
Himishi Jou
Himishi Jou Avatar
groupnull
age 18 years old birthday June 12 rank Adv. Genin occupation
Jou was awaiting to be assigned missions again ever since he returned to the village. He wasn't really surprised that he was assigned to something so soon, but what was interesting was that it was a very similar mission that he was put on before. Jou remembered the last time he was placed on this mission to scope and clear out some of the caverns around the outskirts of the village of any unwanted guests. It was also when he went past the limits of his Tomokenzangan and strained his eyes, nearly losing consciousness...or did he actually lose it...? He couldn't remember. Fortunately, Emi was there and had his back...but it didn't appear like he'd be his partner again for this.

Along with it not being Emi, Jou was surprised that he wasn't partnered up with his genin teammate on this...nor has he even met them yet. Though, he was interested to work with Nohime Ouritsu, knowing a bit about the Young Illusionist and his feats at one of the previous Chuunin Exams.

Jou was prepped up in his usually attire, and headband tightly wrapped around his head, his fiery red eyes showing how ready he was to get back into it, his tool pouches stocked with his equipment per usual. Jou made his way to the village gates, a part of him kinda hoping he'd see Emi guarding it, but it didn't seem to be his shift. His focus instead was on Ouritsu as he approached the gates, raising a hand up in greeting. "Didn't think I'd be working with the Illusionist on this one." Jou added with a bit of a grin, still a friendly guy as usual. "I'm Himishi Jou." he introduced himself with a bit of a nod. "I've been on a similar mission like this before, so you won't have to worry about watching over me." the Himishi claimed before looking further out of the gate. "Ready when you are."

last edit by Himishi Jou on Oct 4, 2023 17:41:34 GMT -5
[REDACTED] has written 254 posts
Splunking into Danger! [Mission]Oct 6, 2023 10:39:57 GMT -5
Nōhime Ouritsu
Nōhime Ouritsu Avatar
groupRock Shinobi
bleed it out
It wasn't long until a name he hadn't heard in a while grabbed his attention and all at once the chunin felt a little embarrassed and upset that he had given himself such a nickname all those years ago. He was riding high after his performance in the exams and was trying to make a name for himself but his teenage brain wasn't the most creative at the time. Thankfully only those he knew well called him that and mostly in jest, but every so often someone random in the village would speak his alias and make him cringe just a bit. "Ah man, hearing that out loud is kinda awful. I need to come up with something better." Ouritsu replied as he turned his attention towards Jou.

"Nice to meet you, Jou, you can just call me Ouritsu. Good to hear you're familiar with the assignment, hopefully they aren't sending us to some troublesome cavern." With introductions out of the way there wasn't much left but to get to it. "Alrighty let's a move on then." Out the gates and onto the open road would mark the beginning of the duo's trek to their destination, not terribly far away but they were going to be walking for a while. "So, I hear they're taking sign ups for the next exams. You thinking of entering?" The chunin would ask. Some people waited until they felt that they were as ready as possible before taking the exams, or in some cases their team leaders wouldn't allow it, but it quickly became apparent to every participant once the exams began that it was impossible to prepare for everything so sometimes it was better to just take the plunge.

words -  - notes
Splunking into Danger! [Mission]Oct 7, 2023 18:34:03 GMT -5
Himishi Jou
Himishi Jou Avatar
groupnull
Jou couldn't help but smirk a little at the Chunin's comment before shaking his head a bit. "It beats being called "JoJo" that's for sure." Jou said as he glanced away a little, remembering the not so fond memories of being called that by a few bullies back in his Academy and early Genin years. Jou doesn't get bullied these days though, most likely due to his growth, but the idea of being called that still sticks with him unfortunately.

The Himishi nodded a bit as introductions were being got out the way. "Hmm last cavern I was in held a few bandits...and one of them had tamed a...komodo dragon I think?" Jou brought up a bit causally as he tried recalling. "It was some sort of big reptile, that's for sure." Who knows what may be in the caverns they're heading towards this time. Could be completely clear...or worse than the Himishi's last encounter. Either way, Jou didn't seem terrified. What ever it may be, he was determined to get the mission done, so with another nod, Jou tagged along with Ouritsu out of the village.

As the two walked, Ouritsu brought up the Chunin Exams which caused Jou to look over at the guy. "Oh, I already passed one of the previous Exams." Jou added before looking forward again. "I could've promoted but...It just didn't feel like the right time, yeah?" He claimed before looking more towards the rocky terrain the duo were passing. A lot happened to him during the Exams he attended. He went through so much...and learned a lot about his faults, some which he still has. "Got a lot to still work on before I see myself as a Chunin...which won't be long. Gotta catch up with you guys after all." He then casually folded his arms behind the back of his head as he continued to walk. "I've had a year outside of the village to figure it all out after all." Jou definitely found his confidence, that's for sure.

"How long have you been a Chunin, Ouritsu? Gonna promote any time soon?" he asked, looking over at the man.

Splunking into Danger! [Mission]Oct 12, 2023 19:03:32 GMT -5
Nōhime Ouritsu
Nōhime Ouritsu Avatar
groupRock Shinobi
bleed it out
"Yeah, I suppose it could be worse." Ouritsu replied with a chuckle. Thankfully the nickname had all but fallen out of use by now and the chunin was hoping he'd be able to come up with something a whole lot cooler by the time he reached special jounin, though there was still plenty of time until that bridge could be crossed. Or maybe not thankfully, it was time to take that next step in his career and spinning the wheels like this was beginning to nag at him.

He'd listen to Jou speak about his last trip exploring one of the caves and how there was little more than some bandits holding out in it... as well as some big lizard thing. "Well that's not something you see everyday. Well, lizards that big I guess. Doesn't sound too bad otherwise. Honestly it'll probably be less creepy if there are people or something around, empty dark places are the stuff of nightmares." Not Ouritsu's nightmares, of course, but y'know, the general populace.

"Oh for real? Well I suppose you'd know better than anyone else when you're ready. I couldn't wait to get promoted, honestly just wanted a little more freedom to travel and stuff but not getting assigned super boring D-rank "missions" is a definite plus, too." The Nohime replied. He had managed to do a couple cool things as a genin but almost always attached to the hip of someone higher in rank than him which was like having a parent tagging along on a field trip sometimes. "Yeah it's been a few years now. Learned a lot, done some cool stuff and I've been thinking about that next step but kinda like you I got some stuff that needs to be shored up before I think the higher ups will promote me." Ouritsu added. He felt his skills in ninjutsu and specifically with Jinton were well above chunin level but his genjutsu needed some refinement. Getting to experience that lesson from the Yuki Lady during the most recent exams was a great sign of what he could one day do and he felt that adding that to his skillset would go a long way.

The path the duo would follow would take them directly southwest of the village in the direction of Hitsuji though their actual destination would have them stop a ways short of the city. A natural cave formation that at one time had been explored but now thought long abandoned was their target and as it came into view Ouritsu knew he and Jou were gonna have a time exploring this place. "Welp, guess this is it. Thankfully this place used to be the site of some research or something so the walls and stuff should be reinforced. Of course that was forever ago so no telling how it's holding up now, but the sooner we get in the sooner we can get back home."

If Jou had any questions or concerns Ouritsu would give him a few moments to voice them before beginning to make his way into the entrance of the cave. Old, rusted shovels and other small equipment was strewn about and at this point was as much decoration as it was litter, nothing out of the ordinary but the chunin's eyes were peeled for fresh tracks or anything that looked newer or recently used.

words -  - notes
Splunking into Danger! [Mission]Oct 14, 2023 16:09:53 GMT -5
Himishi Jou
Himishi Jou Avatar
groupnull
Jou nodded in agreement about the big lizard. He wasn't even sure if those sorts of reptiles were native to this country, but it wasn't something he really thought about up until actually witnessing one. Perhaps those bandits weren't from around here either. Really makes one wonder. "Yeah I get what you mean. Nothing more scarier than the unknown." Jou added. The paranoia that could develop from traveling through a dark empty location is fairly common. "I would like to know what I'm dealing with too."

The Himishi once again nodded as he listened to Ouritsu. He could certainly relate to the Nohime's eagerness of wanting to become a Chunin. The limitations of a Genin certainly feel strict. "Freedom of travel certainly is something. One of the only time I nearly felt like I had the freedom to travel was when I went to Yukigakure. It was for a little cultural exchange that I volunteered for." Jou added as he continued to look forward, smiling a bit as he thought back about that exchange. "I met this kunoichi there and she was..." Jou added but paused, referring to Muramatsa Jun. He stayed with her family for the night and for a moment there was a spark between the two, but it was unfortunately snuffed out before it could potentially develop into something more.

The Himishi shook his head a bit before continuing. "The village was great. Wouldn't mind visiting there again in the future." he added, completely changing the subject.

"I definitely feel you'll make it to Jounin in no time." He claimed, the optimistic type that he is. Jou just hopes he'll make it to Chuunin before Ouritsu ranks up or he's gonna feel more like he's falling behind!

After a bit, the two finally made it to their destination. Jou looked at the cave entrance, stopping as he examined it a bit while Ouritsu spoke. So far, the structure does look like it's still reinforced just as the Nohime said. "Don't worry, I'll be able to spot any weaknesses in the structure along with any other potential dangers." Jou added as he closed his eyes and once reopened, his crimson eyes turned violet with black patterns that almost resemble a clock. It was his clan's doujutsu, the Tomokenzangan.

Although this was the main reason Jou decided to use this, he wanted to also take advantage of the situation to control his chakra a little better through trying to maintain his doujutsu for longer.

With a nod, Jou followed Ouritsu in, keeping his eyes peeled for anything amiss. So far, it was the usual things one would find in an abandoned cave like this. The stories this cave could probably tell...which is something the Himishi could pull off, but this wasn't the time for that.

There was still nothing out of the ordinary like fresh footprints...but as the Himishi glanced at the wall to the left, he paused, lowering his brows a bit. "Weird..." Jou then pointed at what appeared to be a fresh hand print which looked like someone tried to brush away and although it would probably go unnoticed by most, it would be spotted by more trained eyes. "This hand print is fresh...but there isn't a trace of any others...nor any footprints?" Jou crossed his arms.

Tomokenzangan: Activated
TOMOKENZANGAN [Tōzasō] (All Seeing Eye [Present Aspect]
Having seen his sister die and having a near-death experience himself, Jou was able to awaken the Himishi clan's dojutsu, the Tomokenzangan which has the ability to alter the perception of time. First, Jou only had access to the Tomokenzangan's first ability, Iwakusō (Past Aspect) which has given him the ability to view not only his own but others' memories with great accuracy and clarity. It can select these events and recreate them in his or other people's minds, making the sensations from these moments very real. Not only that, but it has the potential to probe or even steal memories if the target is willing, restrained, or physically/mentally weakened. Then there is Tōzasō, the present aspect. With this ability, Jou is capable of reading/analyzing a situation in a matter of seconds and can pick up on the most minute details, making this extremely useful on the battlefield.

last edit by Himishi Jou on Oct 14, 2023 16:11:19 GMT -5
Splunking into Danger! [Mission]Oct 26, 2023 16:24:36 GMT -5
Nōhime Ouritsu
Nōhime Ouritsu Avatar
groupRock Shinobi
bleed it out

"Forgot you guys had those funky eyes." Ouritsu replied to Jou as he watched the boy activate his doujutsu. He didn't really understand what all their eyes did --or couldn't remember everything-- but they sounded helpful for their current situation and the chunin wasn't going to look a gift horse in the mouth. As the two made their way into the opening of the cave only moments had passed before something amiss was pointed out and just like that there was went any chance of this mission being just routine surveillance. The Nohime would take a few moments to inspect the handprint and noticed that it looked like whoever made it was trying to cover their tracks, yet what was even more odd was that there were no accompanying prints alongside it.

"A lone, smudged hand print with nothing else? Well that's just weird. Whoever made it was almost good enough to cover their tracks, but only one print doesn't give us much to go on, unfortunately. Guess we'll have to trudge a bit further." The chunin lamented. He was really hoping for a chill day but fate had decided to throw a mystery at them. Further into the cavern there would be more signs of past activity in the form of rusted and worn equipment yet the main draw came from the trail splitting into two directions. Strip mining was a common occurrence in the country and whenever the miners found a new vein they dug straight at it regardless of what they had been doing before which was the reason these places often became so maze like.

"Well we got two options. See anything that looks promising or is it gonna be a crapshoot?" Ouritsu asked Jou. Perhaps the genin was able to see something down one of the paths that would save them a bit of time.

words -  - notes
Splunking into Danger! [Mission]Oct 30, 2023 20:13:35 GMT -5
Himishi Jou
Himishi Jou Avatar
groupnull
There only being one print like this was weird, and Jou nodded in agreement. The Himishi tried giving the area one more thorough look around with his eyes as Ouritsu spoke, but there was still nothing. "You're right..." Jou spoke in a puzzled tone. To be this good at covering your tracks, yet missing one isn't impossible...but something about this didn't sit right with Jou. He kept his thoughts about this to himself for now though and continued one with the Chunin.

As the duo continued further in, Jou kept quiet and alert. So far the only things he picked up on were tools and markings left behind from past activities. The information his eyes gathered were fast and Jou had no issues processing it. He could roughly tell how long most of this equipment have been here among other things. Nothing was recent like that hand print. The fact that he couldn't find anything only made the Himishi more alert. If Ouritsu hadn't seen it as well, Jou would've started to have second guesses. Still, his purple eyes worked hard to look for anything else out of the ordinary....until they came up on a split in the trail, not really surprising to Jou considering where they were.

"Hmmm, no." Jou said as he looked at both paths. "They both look identical from here." Jou said before looking over at the Chunin. "Splitting up wouldn't be smart at this moment. I guess we'll just have to cho-" Before Jou could finish, he squinted his eyes a bit, not looking at Ouritsu, but at the wall close by him. "Do you see that?" Jou asked before pointing at the wall. It was another print, as fresh as the previous one, and no other trace in sight. Not only that, but Jou took notice of how the hand print was on the wall towards the left path. Jou then looked at that path before speaking. "You know, this might be too early to say but..." he then looked back at Ouritsu. "What if these prints were...intentionally left behind?" This was what was rolling around in Jou's head the moment they came across the first one. "If only we had more clues...I could've given us a clearer picture." with a sigh, Jou shook his head a bit before setting his sights back on the left path. "Well...our job is to clear this place of any potential intruders, so...left it is." With that, Jou was prepared to head down there, unless his senior had something to say.

Tomokenzangan: Active

Splunking into Danger! [Mission]Nov 14, 2023 13:15:27 GMT -5
Nōhime Ouritsu
Nōhime Ouritsu Avatar
groupRock Shinobi
bleed it out
There wasn't a ton of information for the pair to go on as aside from the handprint they had come across at the entrance everything else looked like it had been virtually untouched for quite some time. Still, they knew that someone had been here recently so it wasn't a scenario of if they were going to run into people but when, and Ouritsu preferred to not be caught off guard when that moment happened. As he was contemplating which direction to take Jou would spot yet another hand print, just as fresh as the last and posted near the left trail. "Ah hell." The chunin replied as he stepped in to take a closer look. One was weird, but two was definitely a pattern and just like the other one there wasn't anything else around to give some more info.

Jou would posit that the handprints were intentional which given how they were only showing up at important sites in the mines was plausible. "You're probably right, might be some kind of guide to help them make their way through this place." Ouritsu replied. Getting any kind of true map of this place was next to impossible considering how many tunnels had been dug out through the years and without some manner of guide to help someone find their way around it would be too easy to get lost. "Yep, left we go."

The tunnel was nothing special outside of a bit more equipment than they had come across before yet not all of it was as rusted and worse for wear, perhaps whatever had been mined in this direction was plentiful up until a point and just like everything else in this place it had run dry. Still, someone was using this mine as some kind of hold up --whether that was to live or meet up with others was still unknown-- and they were going through a lot of trouble to avoid being detected. "More junk, but I guess following the prints will get us closer to whoever is calling this place home."

words -  - notes