compose a reply
SHIFTING POSITIONS | ICHIOct 22, 2023 22:22:21 GMT -5
Kisei Takatō
Our world is made of choices.
Kisei Takatō Avatar
groupGrass Shinobi
age 25 years old birthday july 9 rank sp. jounin occupation anbu ops

SLEEP NO MORE

Taka was indescribably proud of Ichi: to see his brother take up the mantle of Kusa Lord was not something he’d imagined he would ever live to see, but for it to have happened during his lifetime was immensely gratifying. Ichi was a natural leader: thoughtful, caring, perceptive, utterly dedicated to Kusagakure and her people. With an army of counselors at his back, Taka felt certain that there was nothing Ichi would not be able to accomplish.

This did not alleviate his anxiety when he was summoned to speak to Ichi about, quote, a change in positions. No further detail had been given. Dread snarled thick and heavy in his gut.

He had been with ANBU for two years now, his career generally unremarkable throughout that time; he did his duty, completed his missions, spent his free time looking after his younger cousins and the twins. Undoubtedly Ichi had learned of his special ops status since becoming Kusa Lord, and while Taka would unconditionally accept whatever order he was given, change was always something he had struggled with. He felt like he was only just now getting comfortable in his role, so to be shifted again… he was uncertain. Frightened was not the right word, but something close enough to it.

"My lord,” Taka said softly, poking his head into Ichi’s office. Brotherhood was not a substitute for the respect the position of Lord demanded. "You wanted to speak to me?”

LAIKA OF THQ
tactician has written 103 posts
SHIFTING POSITIONS | ICHINov 2, 2023 15:59:15 GMT -5
Nakahara Ichī
Isn't Autumn the prettiest season?
Nakahara Ichī Avatar
groupGrass Shinobi
age 18 years old birthday September 10th rank Chunin occupation Jūdaime Kusa Lord
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullhover"]

[attr="class","skullimg"]

[attr="class","skulltitle"]
Autumn
[attr="class","skulloverlap"]I will lead us to it. Definitely.

[attr="class","skullbody"]The inside of the room was not exactly the thing one would expect upon entry. Not one or two, but three versions of the gigantic Nakahara stood or sat around the room going through varios stacks of paper. Dutiful use of clones for things that did not matter for the average shinobi, but did matter for the village to run. Ichi had thrown away the common shinobi assistant for two professional diplomats, though neither were involved directly in his work here as much as they were involved in larger decisions. Just like the jounin hanchou things changed for the village's structure that were rather dramatic if one had not known what Lady Kanoh's ascent to leadership had really signalled. It was simply that Ichi was taking over the implementation of the Daimyo's will from his own court shinobi.
[break][break]

Takato's appearance was not without greeting though, at the desk of the leaders of Kusa sat the massive youth, though he was not sitting at the small desk in anything approximating normal seating. Being too large for the actual seating arrangement he was leaned rather far from the desk itself as he had been reading a document his pipe in one hand. Eyes of silver looked to Taka as he entered and they seemed to light up in joy, an exhale of smoke filling the room in the scent of a festival bonfire. A grin growing on the young man's face as he chuckled and waved Taka off for the formality.
[break][break]

"None of that now Taka-Niisan, if I called you here to be formal there would be others present in the room. Its just us today," Ichi would state for the only slightly older boy as he sat forward and set his papers down. Picking up a different bound set of papers in a folder and casually tossing it over to his brother Ichi would speak up again, "I was always pretty sure you were ANBU or something similar given the way you talked on your job. However, that isn't really the issue - to get to the point, we simply have too many genin and not enough people to guide them. I looked over all of their files and compiled three that I would like you to more permanently guide, at least until they can promote."

[break]
[attr="class","skullinfo"]000 WORDS / @tags!!

[attr="class","skullcredits"]TAIKO!

[newclass=.skullhover]width:420px;-webkit-filter: grayscale(100%);filter: grayscale(100%);-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;-webkit-transition-delay:0.1s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullhover:hover]-webkit-filter: grayscale(0%);filter: grayscale(0%)-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullimg]width:380px;height:200px;background-image:url(https://i.pinimg.com/originals/32/4d/20/324d205170561eb455fbc92fd8deab9e.gif); background-repeat:no-repeat;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulltitle]font-family:verdana;font-weight:700;font-size:50px;position:relative;text-align:center;color:#e68d49;margin-top:-36px;margin-bottom:0px;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulloverlap]letter-spacing:1px;font-family:oswald;font-weight:200;font-size:9px;position:relative;text-align:center;margin-top:-0;margin-bottom:-5px;color:#e8e8e8;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullbody]div-align:center;text-align:justify;width:380px;font-size:10px;font-family:roboto;color:#d6d6d6;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullbody b]color:#ede8de;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullinfo]width:380px;font-family:oswald;font-size:9px;font-weight:200;color:#767676;text-align:right[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullcredits]width:380px;font-family:roboto;font-size:8px;text-align:center;[/newclass]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]

Ichi's SA's and Techniques in Use:[break][break]

『Harvest Moon's Child』
Ichi was born to the Nakahara clan on the night of a Harvest Moon. Born with quite the green thumb he was assumed to be an inheritor of the clan's natural talents with plants. The roots ran deeper, however, as Ichi was born with a Kekkai Genkai, being a rare natural occurance of Wood Release outside of the Senju. In learning of this he has trained his kekkai to the best of his abilities. He is no master, seeing as he has no reference of Mokuton, but he has found a way to bring out techniques along side his own talents in a cohesive manner.

[Cosmetic Only: All Mokuton techniques Ichi uses appear as his favorite trees, though it has no real change as is.]

[break][break]
『Weaver of Wood』
Ichi was born with Mokuton, but he was not graced with the same level of chakra as the Senju would be in his situation. Being roughly average for an individual, Ichi instead focused on the skills his birth clan preferred. Practicing his medical skills, he has gained a higher quality of Chakra Control. Ichi is much less likely to leak chakra than the average shinobi because of this.

[break][break]
『The Festival's Atmosphere』
Having practiced his skills with extending his senses outwards with the use of mokuton chakra, Ichi is particularly adept at sensing life in an area. Capable of finding life through the very nature around people. Within [20 meters] Ichi is capable of passively sensing out plant and animal life in a general sense. Able to differentiate it between plant and animal, but no further. Unlike chakra sensory Ichi can not more or less readily sense others based on their chakra, but instead purely senses the 'vitality' in things, though even those with seemingly boundless vitality will read the same as the elderly or a newborn to him. Also unlike usually sensory to actively search out individuals Ichi requires Mokuton, or the use of his pipe (though using it makes his position much easier to locate), as a catalyst to extend his senses, only going out as far as the technique's range, or twice his passive range in case of the pipe. It is also notable that the deceased, and those that feign death in some fashion, as through a poison or a jutsu, are completely invisible to Ichi. Notably the furthest he can extend his senses is [100 meters].[break][break]

『Master of Festival Games』

Ichi is incredibly smart for someone his age, but he lacks the qualifications to be a scholar. This is because his intelligence is not found in understanding of principles and anything so magnificiently deep. It instead lies in his observational talents and ability to react to everything that is going on around him with an absolute calm. Being able to plan and act with just minute details to go off of, Ichi is best described as a schemer and a diplomat rather than a genius. This makes him perfect for roles that are heavy in Tactical and Diplomatic Decision Making, as he grasps larger images and can put together clues better than others. Effectively allowing him to take in the wider picture of everything going on and piece together practical responses in mere moments with little to no hesitation or error.
Toffee has written 247 posts
SHIFTING POSITIONS | ICHINov 12, 2023 13:04:56 GMT -5
Kisei Takatō
Kisei Takatō Avatar
groupGrass Shinobi

SLEEP NO MORE

Taka frowned minutely, concretely displeased with the idea that he should speak to Ichi with anything less than the full respect his new position demanded, but also not nearly so bold as to outright defy a plainly stated request based on Ichi’s personal preferences. He settled for the neutral ground of mutely nodding in acknowledgement of the request, and he sat down across from Ichi, taking the folder of papers casually tossed his way and thumbing through them with wary curiosity.

These were… shinobi files? Of genin, it looked like, based on his skimming.

He looked up at Ichi, his brow furrowed deep as he processed what it was exactly that Ichi was telling him.

"Guide?” His confusion was clear. "You want me to be a genin team leader?”

He’d been looking after some of the younger kids in his family, sure, taking Sachi on a mission, tutoring Hatoza, taking the Futaago twins in on weekends and holidays. He’d even temporarily led a full genin team on one mission, but that had been a one-day affair for a D-rank, a simple request simply executed. None of that, he thought, qualified him to lead a genin team.

And then there was the bigger question—

"... would this mean removing my ANBU status?” he asked. What had he done wrong? Was this a demotion, a reflection of poor results or lackluster effort? He’d been putting the time in, but it wasn’t like he knew the inner workings of the entire black ops arm: maybe he was lagging behind all the rest, the bottom tenth percentile of trackers and demolition operatives. "Have I been… not performing to standard?”

Taka could accept the criticism if that were the case, but he needed to know what he was doing wrong before he could fix it.

LAIKA OF THQ

SHIFTING POSITIONS | ICHINov 13, 2023 12:39:55 GMT -5
Nakahara Ichī
Nakahara Ichī Avatar
groupGrass Shinobi
age 18 years old birthday September 10th rank Chunin occupation Jūdaime Kusa Lord
[nospaces]

Autumn

[attr="class","skullbody"]There was a level of strain that seemed to eminate from his brother. Ichi would nod as Taka would state the position that Ichi was asking him to move to with a straight expression, waving the man to come sit down. Ichi could get where Takato would think of this as a demotion in a way, the pay was certainly a downgrade if nothing, something Ichi frankly couldn't correct immediately despite his disagreement on pay with the current ledgers. Regardless though the situation proved different, because there was more then just one position Takato needed to fill. Positions, Ichi, needed Takato to fill. Someone he had unadultered trust with.
[break][break]

"Well certainly it would. It doesn't have anything to do with your report though my brother. It is a matter of where I know you would do your best work. Team oriented, reliable, perceptive, your a more then capable caretaker and teacher by my memory of you teaching me. I also have another job though, one that is a bit more... close to the chest that you would also be doing," Ichi would state as he would inhale and exhale from his pipe having nearly forgotten its presence in his off-hand as he got busy with conversation. Images of autumn hazed the boy's mind like the nip of calm breezes chilled one ever so gently, "My position as Lord is very... limited to what both of us were used to during the last decade. Frankly I'm more like an administrator for the village and its shinobi for the Daimyo so he doesn't have to worry about us too much. So a figurehead to speak, but that doesn't mean I haven't continued my own projects from when Lady Kanoh was in charge."
[break][break]

Standing Ichi would move to sweep the blinds closed on the window as shadows seemed to apparate into masked figures, "Nohara is a weak nation Taka... I hate saying that. Politically though, we have one true ally, we have potentially unuseful alliances, we are boxed in from most every side, and our Daimyo still sees us as a nuisance on the treasury more then a full on resource. Despite that, I and most in this nation would never run from a brewing fight. Lessen a blow, perhaps, but never run. This is Wasuremono, not as they used to be, but as a secret task force they do their jobs well. I would like you to join their ranks, for my sake and for Kusagakure. For Nohara." Ichi would turn back to his brother finally with his normally delighted smile a bit cheekier then normal as he sat his pipe to rest on his lip and hand lazily, "Its not a safe job, but the hazard pay should make up the difference for your current wage. You are free to think, but you need to decide here and now before you can leave."

[break]

[newclass=.skullhover]width:420px;-webkit-filter: grayscale(100%);filter: grayscale(100%);-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;-webkit-transition-delay:0.1s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullhover:hover]-webkit-filter: grayscale(0%);filter: grayscale(0%)-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullimg]width:380px;height:200px;background-image:url(https://i.pinimg.com/originals/32/4d/20/324d205170561eb455fbc92fd8deab9e.gif); background-repeat:no-repeat;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulltitle]font-family:verdana;font-weight:700;font-size:50px;position:relative;text-align:center;color:#e68d49;margin-top:-36px;margin-bottom:0px;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulloverlap]letter-spacing:1px;font-family:oswald;font-weight:200;font-size:9px;position:relative;text-align:center;margin-top:-0;margin-bottom:-5px;color:#e8e8e8;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullbody]div-align:center;text-align:justify;width:380px;font-size:10px;font-family:roboto;color:#d6d6d6;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullinfo]width:380px;font-family:oswald;font-size:9px;font-weight:200;color:#767676;text-align:right[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullcredits]width:380px;font-family:roboto;font-size:8px;text-align:center;[/newclass]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]

『Harvest Moon's Child』
Ichi was born to the Nakahara clan on the night of a Harvest Moon. Born with quite the green thumb he was assumed to be an inheritor of the clan's natural talents with plants. The roots ran deeper, however, as Ichi was born with a Kekkai Genkai, being a rare natural occurance of Wood Release outside of the Senju. In learning of this he has trained his kekkai to the best of his abilities. He is no master, seeing as he has no reference of Mokuton, but he has found a way to bring out techniques along side his own talents in a cohesive manner.

[Cosmetic Only: All Mokuton techniques Ichi uses appear as his favorite trees, though it has no real change as is.]

[break][break]
『Weaver of Wood』
Ichi was born with Mokuton, but he was not graced with the same level of chakra as the Senju would be in his situation. Being roughly average for an individual, Ichi instead focused on the skills his birth clan preferred. Practicing his medical skills, he has gained a higher quality of Chakra Control. Ichi is much less likely to leak chakra than the average shinobi because of this.

[break][break]
Having practiced his skills with extending his senses outwards with the use of mokuton chakra, Ichi is particularly adept at sensing life in an area. Capable of finding life through the very nature around people. Within [20 meters] Ichi is capable of passively sensing out plant and animal life in a general sense. Able to differentiate it between plant and animal, but no further. Unlike chakra sensory Ichi can not more or less readily sense others based on their chakra, but instead purely senses the 'vitality' in things, though even those with seemingly boundless vitality will read the same as the elderly or a newborn to him. Also unlike usually sensory to actively search out individuals Ichi requires Mokuton, or the use of his pipe (though using it makes his position much easier to locate), as a catalyst to extend his senses, only going out as far as the technique's range, or twice his passive range in case of the pipe. It is also notable that the deceased, and those that feign death in some fashion, as through a poison or a jutsu, are completely invisible to Ichi. Notably the furthest he can extend his senses is [100 meters].[break][break]

Ichi is incredibly smart for someone his age, but he lacks the qualifications to be a scholar. This is because his intelligence is not found in understanding of principles and anything so magnificiently deep. It instead lies in his observational talents and ability to react to everything that is going on around him with an absolute calm. Being able to plan and act with just minute details to go off of, Ichi is best described as a schemer and a diplomat rather than a genius. This makes him perfect for roles that are heavy in Tactical and Diplomatic Decision Making, as he grasps larger images and can put together clues better than others. Effectively allowing him to take in the wider picture of everything going on and piece together practical responses in mere moments with little to no hesitation or error.
SHIFTING POSITIONS | ICHIDec 19, 2023 5:16:19 GMT -5
Kisei Takatō
Kisei Takatō Avatar
groupGrass Shinobi

SLEEP NO MORE

Taka listened quietly, his mouth pressing into a flat line as Ichi laid praise upon his shoulders brick by brick. Too polite to refute what he stated so confidently, but uncomfortable with such a strong estimation of his performance regardless, he sat in silence as he looked through the genin profiles.

Koume and Atagi were on the same team now—he wasn’t aware that Koume had been moved back into active duty after the bijuu extraction, but he hoped it had been a good change for her. Kagero, Kaida, and Rikuto all remained on team three together; Sachi and Okingshi both were still on team one. He wasn’t familiar with either Uzumaki Kenshin or Muramatsa Asami, but the apparent stability of the teams that had been presented to him was heartening… if daunting, as a new addition to an established dynamic was always difficult to negotiate around. He wondered which he would be assigned to—a passing thought that signaled his begrudging acceptance of his new position.

His attention was drawn up and around as Ichi stood and drew the blinds, and masked figures lined the room. An image that should have given him pause, but the smoke and secrecy involved of ANBU operations had made him accustomed to such theatrics in his two years of service. It was comforting, in an odd way.

What Ichi spoke of was, in Taka’s estimation, above his paygrade—this was a bird’s eye view of the nation’s standing that he had never been privy to before. Though Ichi’s estimation of their global position made him nervous, what rose above that burgeoning turmoil was a bone-deep empathy for his brother, asking for help in a time of strife. The issue of pay had never crossed his mind; though he was terminally wary that Ichi’s estimation of his skill was far above his actual performance level, it was out of the question for him to decline.

"Yes,” he said, a simple answer to a complex question. "Whatever you need.”

He only hoped that he could live up to his brother’s—his Lord’s—expectations.

LAIKA OF THQ

SHIFTING POSITIONS | ICHIFeb 26, 2024 1:37:17 GMT -5
Nakahara Ichī
Nakahara Ichī Avatar
groupGrass Shinobi
[nospaces]

Autumn

[attr="class","skullbody"]Ichi would smile as he got the response he had trusted to come. Cruel perhaps, but he knew Takato as well has Takato knew Ichi - there was never a chance that Takato refused the order. Duty-bound and overly willing to do anything for family, qualities that Ichi had nothing but admiration for even if this approach was manipulative of both. An advantage birthed from a lack of secrecy between the two. Turning he would snuff his pipe and nod, "Good then, let us get the tongue seals over with then yes? Despite re-instating this organization under Chisai I never plan to be a leader that can't undergo anything that his subordinates do, so today we will both be bound to stay quiet about the organization to anyone who does not bear the mark or is not being marked soon enough."
[break][break]

A masked individual would approach both of them as Ichi sat back down, a needle dripping ink moving towards both of them to draw the seal beneath their tongues. Almost carved as it sliced ever so barely into the flesh beneath the tongue to mark it. As it was finished Ichi would stand and perform the seal needed to activate both seals. A process that required nothing more but a moment to do, brothers marked in a way they could not turn away from, a new direction in the world for the both of them. Ichi could only hope that Takato would take well to the change that would hopefully free him from the dark end that most all ANBU found.
[break][break]

"You start with your new team effective immediately. Report tonight to Chisai-San to be assigned to your squad in the Wasuremono... I trust everyone in this room and those I assigned into Wasuremono as well as Chisai's leadership, but many of our most unstable kinsmen are in the organization. Try to keep them in line somewhat yeah?" Ichi would say as he patted Takato on the shoulder with a grin, a part of his normally optimistic smile coated in the hints of blood from the seals drawing.

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]

『Harvest Moon's Child』

[break][break]
『Weaver of Wood』

[break][break]

SHIFTING POSITIONS | ICHIFeb 28, 2024 3:40:27 GMT -5
Kisei Takatō
Kisei Takatō Avatar
groupGrass Shinobi

Taka was blissfully oblivious to Ichi’s machinations, and even if he had been aware of his brother’s tactics, it was unlikely that he would have resented them—to agree to Ichi’s request was nothing less than his solemn duty, and there was no crime in Ichi knowing this and capitalizing on it. Perhaps there was a boundary that could be crossed that would push Taka over the edge—just because someone says they’ll do anything for you doesn’t mean you should ask—but Ichi had not yet found it, and likely never would.

He nodded in silent assent, opening his mouth wide to allow the masked shinobi access to his tongue. The cuts were shallow but sharp, and the pain didn’t set in until after the shinobi had stepped away and Taka had gingerly allow his jaw to hinge closed. He swallowed back the swell of iron that flooded his mouth, and wiped away the bit of crimson that stained his lip.

A wry smile twisted his mouth—a private jest that went unspoken, as it was more than likely that Taka himself was one of the aforementioned unstable kinsmen. But he nodded again, and bowed as he stood, unfailingly polite even in the face of Ichi’s protests to the contrary.

"Thank you,” he said earnestly, and licked a trail of blood away from his teeth. "I… I hope that I can achieve what you need me to achieve.” I hope I can live up to your expectations of me went unspoken, but lingered in the air regardless.

He took his leave. A meeting with Chisai tonight, and he would arrange to meet with his new squad tomorrow… though at least they would all be familiar faces to him already.

[fin.]

LAIKA OF THQ