Looking For A Temporary Teacher [T] Kaguya ToruNov 25, 2023 10:07:02 GMT -5
Kaguya Toru
"Live or die, just do it well.
Kaguya Toru Avatar
groupMist Shinobi
age 16 years old birthday August 5, 1007 rank Elite Jounin occupation Mizukage
I would know him in death
At the end of the world

To Toru even the basics seemed something worth mastering, understanding thoroughly. It was not a tactic for everyone, but it helped one engage fully with the flow of battle. It had given him the upper hand before, despite his often chaotic battle style that seemed to possess no rhyme or reason. But it did, at least to the trained eye.

"What are tools if not extensions of yourself, it is not blame when they are a vital element to your own success." Just like the body was a conduit for chakra and ninjutsu for those that did not use tools like they did. It was all an extension, all a method for getting to a result. If one did not address the weapons as much as one did the body, there could be little progress.

"It is only my technique in creation, I take no issue in teaching my fellow Kirigakure shinobi them. It only makes everyone better and stronger."

He paused and thought over it, considering what and how they should continue. There was a bit of a stalemate here in their training, Masshiro felt he could not continue. But perhaps he could get closer to his goal if he took the breathing techniques seriously. But it would do them no good for Toru to stand here and wait for him to get it right.

"I recommend training the breathing on your own, until your mind really settles."

Han has written 2,374 posts
Looking For A Temporary Teacher [T] Kaguya ToruNov 25, 2023 17:30:28 GMT -5
masshiro
Nindo Goes Here: Edit Profile > Personal > Most Recent Status
masshiro Avatar
groupMist Shinobi
age 25 years old birthday 16th of December rank S. Jounin occupation Operations Team
"Not every tool is an extension of yourself just because you wield it. If I were to grab your swords, I highly doubt they would be an extension of much of anything for me."

Pointing over towards Uemori, he sighed.

"That is an extension of me. It wasn't always mine, but it's as if I always have. These..."

Looking down at the axes, he just stared, feeling the weight, the texture of the handles, even after all this time they felt foreign.

"These were given to me, but I never wanted them. Someone gave me these and unintentionally left me with that."

Once again pointing over towards Uemori once more. It was strange how a weapon that was wielded by his former master didn't remind him of her, but it felt as if the two of them were one in a sense. At first it was awkward to wield, but now he truly felt as if it was an extension of himself as Toru described. The axes however, they reminded him of a master that had since disappeared, and ever since he had been struggling to not simply be a second rate replacement. 

"Can I show you something first?"

Throwing both axes down to bury them in the ground, he walked over and grabbed his wooden blade before returning, giving it a spin in his hand and looked far more relaxed. It was almost as if it was becoming a part of him, a comfort for him.

"There is a technique I learned not long ago that I've been thinking about since we started training."

Without putting much into describing it, he backed up some and turned towards the training dummy.

"Stand a bit behind me if you can. I'm still trying to learn precision with this and I'd prefer not to hit you by accident."

Standing much like he had seen Toru do, he stopped to breathe, trying to at least mimic the way he had shown him, though it was clearly still rushed. Waiting for the Mizukage to move, he gripped the hand of the weapon tight, bringing his the wooden blade down at his side, it rested on the ground, and in a quick flicking motion it looked as if Uemori caught fire. Swinging in an upward angle, a large arc of fire carved its way through the dummy, or what was left of it, leaving a wide arc around Masshiro. Turning around, he looked to Toru, again looking for some sort of response. It was clearly nothing like what he was shown before, but it was certainly a flame technique using bukijutsu. 
Sprinkles has written 141 posts
Looking For A Temporary Teacher [T] Kaguya ToruNov 29, 2023 11:24:17 GMT -5
Kaguya Toru
Kaguya Toru Avatar
groupMist Shinobi
At the end of the world

Toru tilted his head a little bit, it was almost an admission of one's own inability to wield a sword. Toru knew he could pick up any blade and use it as an extension of himself, and any weapon for that matter. Perhaps, not in the way it was intended or even in the way that the original wielder utilized it, but nonetheless as an extension of his own body.

There was no arguing that, whether Masshiro believed it or not that was an entirely different story. After all, it was Masshiro who sought out to be trained here and if he did not wish to take some words from Toru then that was his prerogative.

Situations did not always call for the biggest weapon in one's arsenal, just as Toru's breathing techniques had fallen by the wayside in comparison to the sword that was his greatest weapon. It did not make them useless, even if they had been given to him in the past. By people who were hardly in his life anymore.

Toru moved when asked to, he was not particularly worried about being hurt but he would humor whoever tried to keep him out of harm's way. It was technically the job of shinobi to partially keep him safe as the Daimyo, even though the greatest irony was that he was also the ultimate defense of the village and himself too.

So he stood, waiting quietly before Masshiro lit the dummy ablaze.

"It appears similar to the flame beheading technique, were you inspired by it?"

Looking For A Temporary Teacher [T] Kaguya ToruNov 29, 2023 17:19:36 GMT -5
masshiro
masshiro Avatar
groupMist Shinobi
age 25 years old birthday 16th of December rank S. Jounin occupation Operations Team
    There was no way he would ever say it out loud even if the question was asked, but truthfully he likely couldn't pick up any blade and wield it as well as others. It was much like his ability to study, learn, retain that information, strategize, and implement, but he had much weaker skills when it came to improvisation. This was no different with weapons, and while he was absolutely well trained with his axes and he had put in an absurd amount of time trying to use Uemori, he doubted he could grab two katana and do as well, a heavy great sword, perhaps even a large club to be honest. It was lucky he wasn't born an Uchiha because he'd likely be the worst ever at copying skills and using them on the fly.

For all that Toru had wisdom to share, and some that likely could have been pushed into Masshiro head, their differences were making things slightly awkward. Toru simply didn't seem to like talking a lot, and much of his lesson was giving a bit of advice and expecting it to be picked up and used in the same way he would. It was clear that Toru could pick things up a bit faster and use it quicker, but that just wasn't how Masshiro's mind worked; he needed to grind and use repetition to retain information. He was simply not one to pick things up quick, he was definitely no genius, but he was stubborn and when he wanted to learn, he was going to learn.

Looking down after he had used his "ability", he poked the tip of Uemori on the ground a few times, making a slightly worried face as the end of his weapon was smoldering still. 

"That's exactly the idea. The issue is, flame beheading is a hard technique for me to use with Uemori, since it can't conduct chakra on its own. I've been trying to use a mixture of ninjutsu to create the fire, then use the speed of the swing to catch the fire and spread it. It's a bit sloppy I admit, and truthfully that's only the second time it actually worked. Usually it's just unintentionally throwing a fireball with no strength."

Stopping to bend down and gently rub the end of his weapon with a guilty look, as it had a slight burn mark on the edge, he stayed with bent knees rolling his neck as he looked back up to Toru.

"This breathing technique of yours, I have to ask if it's a way to calm yourself, to center yourself, or if it's truly a core part of your fighting style on the whole? I understand the need to focus and concentrate, anyone can do that. I can feel the difference in using water and using fire for example when I'm channeling chakra, but I've never thought of it in the sense of this breathing with intention as you spoke of earlier. What is the difference between your technique and someone simply using a weapon as a conduit for an element? My ignorance is clearly shining through."

Looking For A Temporary Teacher [T] Kaguya ToruNov 30, 2023 15:11:26 GMT -5
Kaguya Toru
Kaguya Toru Avatar
groupMist Shinobi
At the end of the world

Toru listened, Masshiro was right in that he was not much one for conversation and talking. That had never been his style no matter how much he went through, or how many people he met that tried to get him to speak for longer or with more animated fervor. Even now, he preferred concise responses where it was possible. He liked to be thorough, as thorough as possible when it came to his answers but also minimal. It was a delicate balance. But Toru believed in balance above all other things and balance could not come with a chaotic mind. It was why shinobi spent their entire lives focusing and honing a craft that was all about manifesting something through their bodies that required a great deal of training, focus, meditation and mindfulness.

"All techniques are about molding and control. My breathing techniques are a variation of that, meant to take meditation and a calm mind to the highest degree. It is all about blocking out the noise of battle to immensely that you only see the weaknesses in your opponent. When you have allowed focus and calm to wash over your mind, you can see things that your opponent cannot."

That was perhaps the simplest way he could lay it out.

"My style is all about precision and silence. When I train I mostly only train with a bokken, always have. I move through the most basic kata's before I continue." Toru worked on what most would consider rudimentary because he wholly believed in the basics, in a still mind and meditation. Now more than ever as this stillness allowed him to work in tandem with Isobu. His emotional state was no mistake, it was a process in the making for years now.

Looking For A Temporary Teacher [T] Kaguya ToruNov 30, 2023 22:01:43 GMT -5
masshiro
masshiro Avatar
groupMist Shinobi
    His usual calm demeanor and blank features were slowly turning into a contorted look of frustration as he gave a bit of a grumble. This wasn't at all going the way he had thought it might, but in truth it so rarely did. All he wanted was a description of the technique and the physical manifestation of the technique itself, but it felt like they were going in circles. He couldn't blame Toru for explaining things in the way that he was, but it wasn't helping because of the way he interpreted information and more so internalized it. The more they went back and forth it felt like a wall trying to describe to a pond how to be a wall, and everything about being a wall was obvious to the wall, but brick was brick and water was water. 

"I'm starting to see the main issues here, and for all I wish it was simply a problem with these axes, it's not."

Rubbing at his temple with Uemori's handle, he sighed softly.

"Your way of approaching this and explaining it is very much in line with a meditative state. You control your breathing, clear your mind, flow like water. I am on the other hand very analytical, wanting to pull it apart and turn it into a check list. That or I grip my weapon, run in, and swing till things stop moving."

Scratching the symbol for water into the ground in front of him, he tapped at it then pointed towards Toru.

"This feels like you. You are much more flowing, guided, you know your path."

Next to it the symbol for fire, making a bit of a face as he pointed a thumb towards himself.

"I am definitely closer to fire. I need that spark to get going, I need the path set for me, then I unleash on everything in front of me."

Drawing a circle around the two, he then made a line connecting them.

"I wouldn't say we are incompatible, if anything we'd work great together, but we certainly tackle problems in a very different way. I think that's a large part of what's making this less easy than it might seem from both sides. For you this is simple, familiar, obvious even, but for me as much as it sounds simple, it's just not working."

Pointing towards Toru and nodding, it was another difference, even in the way they trained.

"I only train these days with Uemori unless it's something very specific, or sparring. I have to believe there was a trick played on me at birth, because I always feel my natural affinity should have been earth instead of water. All in all I suppose there's a reason I'm only a Special Jounin and you're the Mizukage."

Looking For A Temporary Teacher [T] Kaguya ToruDec 6, 2023 13:59:35 GMT -5
Kaguya Toru
Kaguya Toru Avatar
groupMist Shinobi
At the end of the world

Toru listened once again, as he always did, he watched the symbols be drawn in the dirt, and took in all of what Masshiro thought and had to say. He was a thinker, the kind that got stuck in loops inside of his head. That needed plain instructions written upon a scroll so that he could scientifically pick up what was given. He might have been a good medic in another lifetime, but not this one. This one he would have to deal with the path that was laid out in front of him as fire often did. He had to follow it, because it was what was ignitable.

"There is not much difference between myself and any other soldier." Toru had once no regard for authority, nor regard for those that came from wealthy backgrounds. He believed that they had been the reason for all of his own suffering in the past during the Civil War - and he had not been wrong. But he also saw a greater nuance in the world now. There was great nuances between the ranks too.

He heard and listened to everyone, the genin and the academy students in the way that leaders of the past did not listen to them, or him.

"A droplet of water no matter it's size still contributes to a greater ocean. But if I may recommend something, if you wish to one day hold the rank of jounin you may wish to practice with more than your Uemori. To become adept in all styles, not just one. To be malleable and knowledgeable in many fields is what will get you there."

Looking For A Temporary Teacher [T] Kaguya ToruDec 6, 2023 19:48:05 GMT -5
masshiro
masshiro Avatar
groupMist Shinobi
"That's a good sentiment to say in front of a classroom, but I think deep down you know that can't be true. If it were you wouldn't be the Mizukage, and being the Mizukage certainly makes that statement impossible to be true. Not to mention other positions, especially at your age."

There was the slightest hint of resentment in the emphasis he put on "especially at your age", even if he hadn't intended there to be. It was hard to keep that bit of bother to himself even if he wasn't trying to call it out openly. His feelings didn't change on the matter even as he was standing here alone with Toru, if anything they were stronger in his presence, but the statement he made just didn't quite sit right. In his mind the Kage, from this village or anything other was clearly above a soldier, and as much as he didn't like it on a personal level, that did in fact include himself. It was just coming to that middle ground of feeling that way and having a respect for the position Toru held, while still having trouble following a leader with so much inexperience because of his age.

He was standing in front of a young man he would quite frankly not flinch at the idea of taking a sword through the gut for because of his loyalty to the village they stood in. The fact he also stood in front of a young man he resented for being in said position lingered heavy. Perhaps it was simply something stuck in his mind from his own clan, despite how some in his clan near worshipped the Mizukage, such as Daichi. The two opposing thoughts were constantly clashing, but he couldn't help but admit there was a lot of wisdom in such a young shinobi.

"Hmph, you wouldn't be the first person to say something similar. I have had my eye on another weapon recently, but...I've been apprehensive. I am admittedly lacking in range tactics and strategies, and my thoughts keep going to the use of some type of ranged weapon, a bow, a throwing weapon perhaps?"

Looking For A Temporary Teacher [T] Kaguya ToruDec 8, 2023 12:40:52 GMT -5
Kaguya Toru
Kaguya Toru Avatar
groupMist Shinobi
At the end of the world

Toru was not the greatest empath in the world and so he did not immediately hear the resentment in Masshiro's tone, he took the words at face value just as they had been spoken. Perhaps it was foolish, but it certainly allowed for the teenager to look past malice in some interactions. This sort of disarmed people emotionally at times, making it easier to keep holding a conversation on Toru's end and causing some sense of shock on the other end.

He did not respond to the statement though. Toru truly believed that he was not much more than a soldier. He held the same values as anyone else. Loyalty and service to the village above all else. Indeed, he had a greater burden to bear than most. He had to do a job that was beyond just the missions. He had to maintain the integrity of the entire nation and command others to act. He was a different kind of soldier, but a soldier nonetheless. The glue that kept everyone together so to speak.

"Perhaps. But longer range requires much of the stillness we were discussing. It may do you good to branch out of your comfort zone. Jounin are able to take on most any task, after all."

Looking For A Temporary Teacher [T] Kaguya ToruDec 8, 2023 23:39:00 GMT -5
masshiro
masshiro Avatar
groupMist Shinobi
    Rubbing at his left temple with his open hand, he sighed a bit at the last comment Toru said. It was a harsh truth, but it wasn't one he was ignorant to. He was certainly aware of his shortcomings, but his focus on his strengths tended to take up much of his time, and even those felt lacking as of late. Perhaps it was all a matter of comparing himself to everyone else, like his former teacher who certainly wielded Uemori better than he had thus far, but she was also a more skilled fighter than he was thus far. All of this was in part just a distraction of the entire reason they were standing here, trying to hold onto some level of pride he had left as he felt more and more like he was lacking in something he couldn't quite grasp in his hands, and it stung.

"For all the knowledge and specialized skill I have, I think we both know I'm further away from Jounin than my rank would otherwise imply..."

Just saying those words was like eating a mouth full of fire, it stung, it burned, and had it come from someone else he might have even gotten a bit annoyed.

"You're right though, just, overall. I need to get out of my comfort zone, I need to practice with more than just Uemori, and none of that is as easy as just saying it. I hope I haven't wasted your time, as much as I've failed all of this miserably so far. You've given me a lot to think about, and said some things I really did need to hear."

Looking For A Temporary Teacher [T] Kaguya ToruDec 10, 2023 20:18:17 GMT -5
Kaguya Toru
Kaguya Toru Avatar
groupMist Shinobi
At the end of the world

Special jounin were not close to jounin in reality, they straddled somewhere between chunin and jounin. But Toru would argue most were closer to chunin with a special skill in something enough to be considered jounin in that skill. To become a true jounin took a lot of hard work, it took work in multiple different fields until one was so well-rounded that they could be considered jounin. It was by this extent no surprise to Toru - though he was hardly ever surprised, or at least showed it plainly - that Masshiro did not feel himself close to the level of jounin.

There was still much to learn, much to master and understand. Masshiro was a great shinobi in his own right, he would never have been given such a weapon or the rank if he was not. But they were all on a constant journey, like water, ever moving and thus improving. They had to improve, after all to become stagnant was what would cause their death, their dehydration, evaporation.

Toru believed Kirigakure shinobi were the best, he believed it with his entire heart. They were the best because there was no power in the world like the water, like the sea and they had grown up a part of it all. They were stronger, more mindful, more everything than anyone else out there. So of course between him believing in Masshiro in spite of any doubts Masshiro had, and his words about wasting his time Toru gave the smallest shake of his head.

"No shinobi of Kirigakure could waste my time. I am here to guide to the best of my ability, no matter your rank or status in the village."

Looking For A Temporary Teacher [T] Kaguya ToruDec 12, 2023 0:22:19 GMT -5
masshiro
masshiro Avatar
groupMist Shinobi
    Composing himself and rolling his neck, Masshiro turned and walked back to the edge of the training ground and sat Uemori there gently, turning back and picked both axes back up once more. He had failed at this whole breathing exercise partially through his own mental block, but now he was feeling not so much motivated, but some variation of stubborn. Giving them a spin in his hands he turned to Toru, his knuckled turning white with the extent he was gripping both weapons before relaxing his body, shaking his arms a bit.

"Let's try this again."

Closing his eyes he inhaled slowly and held his axes out in front of his body. For a moment he looked more like he was trying to relax than simply relaxing, looking robotic almost. In his mind he was trying to get a proper posture, feet the right length apart, good balance, remembering to breathe. For all that he wanted to relax, it was still like a checklist in his mind on how to clear his mind, which ended up being exactly the opposite of doing so. It took a while, but at some point he crossed off whatever mental tick he needed to, and his body finally began to relax as his shoulders lowered.

There was a silence surrounding them, and his breathing had slowed, his mind was as close to cleared as he was likely ever going to get it in awaking state, and his focus was on his breathing. For a moment he wavered as it just felt off, as if he wasn't actually doing anything but standing there breathing, but he reminded himself that he needed to do this. After a few moments of going through that mental checklist he was back to where he started, now focused and prepared as much as he could be. Focusing on his chakra he could feel the warmth as it spread, his fingers gripping tighter onto the weapons once more as it did.

His arms lifted higher, now level with his chest, and his chakra was flowing through his arms and back, a steady katon energy into both axes now, and they began to simultaneously glow. Steam began to rise off of them both, and the glowing brightened, and suddenly, just for maybe two seconds, there was what looked like a spark of fire, maybe a flame even, but it died, as the glowing became more intense and the steam heating the air in front of his face. The extent of the heat caused him to open his eyes and lower the weapons, completely missing anything he had done prior and dropping the axes down at his side in frustration.
Looking For A Temporary Teacher [T] Kaguya ToruDec 12, 2023 10:52:29 GMT -5
Kaguya Toru
Kaguya Toru Avatar
groupMist Shinobi
At the end of the world

It took a while, but Toru was nothing if he was not patient. Perhaps his patience was unnerving, there was a hint of that. He had been told before that the way he could stand still and stare for what felt like hours was strange. He was a very unyielding boy in that manner. Not a flicker of feeling or a hint of something that could verify or deny Masshiro in what he was doing. A scrupulous instructor if he had ever had gotten the chance to be one.

It seemed a natural step, to retire from the Oinin Butai to become a Genin Team Leader. But it never happened to him. He went from Oinin Butai to an Operations Team, forced by his mother in an attempt to keep him safe. He had not understood then, but after her disappearance and his subsequent ascension he understood now...

Perhaps it was for the best, he might have never been a particularly good teacher, strict and expectant. But with Masshiro's performance now, he wondered if he was simply not very good at explaining what was innate to him? Energy that flowed like the most powerful tides in an ocean. They followed their trajectory, they knew it well, and never strayed from that path. Toru knew his path rather well and he followed it even if at times there was resistance, obstacles that he had to weather down.

Finally Masshiro returned to reality, the checklist in his head calming to start with the axes steaming. It was almost there, but he was pushing it, pushing it out. So much force, Toru could tell how he struggled in his eyes and then dropped the axes in frustration.

"If you are still attempting to copy me, then you are thinking too much. You are too in your head. If you wish for us to pivot to something that lines up with your style this is fine, but you must still keep the chakra flowing through all of you - you are forcing it towards your weapons, there is too much all at once. It must be steady."

And Toru knew plenty about 'too much all at once' he had struggled with a major lack of control in the past with his chakra.

Looking For A Temporary Teacher [T] Kaguya ToruDec 14, 2023 2:55:01 GMT -5
masshiro
masshiro Avatar
groupMist Shinobi
"Like I said, I think too much, it's what I do. It's instinctual at this point." 

There was a hint of frustration in his voice, but not towards Toru, but himself, though tone of voice was simply tone of voice, so it was impossible to know where it was directed without context. The frustration wasn't just coming out in his words but his dejected chance, as this was simply an unfamiliar feeling to Masshiro every step of the way not being able to get this to work like he wanted. Days from now he'd look back and understand where he went wrong and more importantly what he had retained from it, but in this moment, there were the equivalent of two voices in his mind, and neither were too helpful.

"My style is, how do I put this, awkward. I work in two ways-"

Holding up his left hand he stopped for a moment to fully form the thought.

"The first is a very slow and methodical style that utilizes that over thinking. Strategy is a better term for it perhaps, trying to even avoid combat at all if it's the best. It's when I am in my head and it's where I'm most comfortable. The second is where it gets awkward."

Holding out his other hand holding the axe he gave a sigh and a partial laugh.

"This is when thinking doesn't happen quite so much. I go a bit berserk, I act recklessly I'll be the first to admit. It's the side of me that most fits with Uemori."

Scratching his head with the handle of his right axe, he raised them both as if he wasn't sure what else to say or perhaps even do. He didn't know how to be differently, and it had gotten him this far, though with more than a few scars to show for it, such as the one across his entire face. 

"What I want is to be able to pull out my weapon, swing, and a giant wave of fire blasts out. Perhaps you can do that with this technique of yours as it's natural to you, but this feels like a lining up of steps that my body is used to pushing through differently. The muscle memory simply isn't there. I promise I'm trying. What I assumed of your technique and abilities was way off, clearly."

Looking For A Temporary Teacher [T] Kaguya ToruDec 14, 2023 12:29:28 GMT -5
Kaguya Toru
Kaguya Toru Avatar
groupMist Shinobi
At the end of the world

Toru did not react to the frustration even if it felt like it might have been directed towards him. For the young leader it did not matter what someone's instinct was, sometimes it was worth re-imagining and re-designing how one functioned for the sake of progress. There could not be progress without distinct development in one's own function and character. He knew this first hand, more than most could ever believe or imagine. The boy from even four years ago was not the same one standing here listening, today.

Masshiro explained the two sides of himself, the methodical tactical side that thought things through excessively. And the other one, the one that did not think at all but rather acted in barbaric violence as a berserker. It was a very interesting dichotomy, one that Toru - had he not always been in control of his emotions to a disconcerting degree - could relate to.

The berserker was when Sanbi got out of control, but in truth, he never did. The two acted as one being anymore, Isobu never pushing Toru too far and Toru never allowing Isobu an inch to do so...

The beast swam in its water prison, docile and curious.

But at least in all of this Toru could offer some advice.

"The berserker must be tamed then. You must find an in-between to work together with the style of the wild side that allows you to still be calm and think things through. All things must be in balance, as shinobi we maintain this balance in ourselves and the world around us. It is perhaps the reason you are running into this wall."