[T/Solo/Jutsu] The Only Thing Stopping Me Is Me

compose a reply
[T/Solo/Jutsu] The Only Thing Stopping Me Is MeNov 5, 2023 5:02:10 GMT -5
juryoku yusei
Once the mind and body have been awakened to their true potential, it’s impossible to turn back.
juryoku yusei Avatar
groupnull
age 19 years old birthday february 26 rank chuunin occupation operations team/gate guard

Yusei stood at the end of the training field. The edge of the river, right by broader Nohara no Kuni. His blue compressionwear ensemble sported that family crest of his. A sun at its peak glared at him, an eye watching even when he was alone. He sat there, slowly steaming, in every sense of the word. The sun cooking him caused his body to run a slight fever, his skin looking perfectly smooth.

He stood there, hands wringing. He talked a big game to Shosuke. Yusei said he was "bored" all the time, waiting for his peers to catch up to him. It was true when he was younger, he was a relative unknown who took people by surprise over and over again. But now, his peers lapped him.

He spent more than enough hours in the training field, and it still felt like he peaked here. But, as he is wont to do, he'd fail to show it on his stolid face. Would he fail if his friends had to lean on him? Yusei glanced to a ball on the ground, no doubt used for drills with academy students.

"...I can't see a way out of this."

last edit by juryoku yusei on Nov 5, 2023 5:02:57 GMT -5
vapes has written 79 posts
[T/Solo/Jutsu] The Only Thing Stopping Me Is MeNov 7, 2023 4:06:53 GMT -5
juryoku yusei
Once the mind and body have been awakened to their true potential, it’s impossible to turn back.
juryoku yusei Avatar
groupnull
age 19 years old birthday february 26 rank chuunin occupation operations team/gate guard

Yusei glanced down at his hands. He clenched and unclenched his fists. He thought to that off-white chakra of his. That way forward that's uniquely his. Even now, he could feel that white vein running up his hand. How would... anyone in his family handle feeling stuck?

And frankly, would Takato die if the two of them took on something bigger, and he didn't learn any new tricks? Is he gonna be sensei, and lose a kid? Perish the thought. He glanced down at that ball on the field. He could control the vertical, but any horizontal movement?

He drew with his finger on the ground, writing out the kanji. He then held the dragon seal, trying to slowly pull the ball his way. It ended with a sharp tug, but no more. That trick he tried and failed to use on Shosuke.

"...If only. I have to find a way to drag things along, and not just yank them over."

NAME: Tsutaeru [Impart]

CHAKRA
USAGE: Low {To form Seal} Low-High {To Activate}

CLASSIFICATION: Fuuinjutsu
HANDSEALS: 1, Dragon {To Activate}

DESCRIPTION:

Chakra is released into one’s hand forming the shape of the kanji ‘伝える on the palm. When the user touches a surface with their hand, this will be burned into it. When the seal is activated it forms its own gravitational pull. Depending on how much chakra is used during activation this can could turn into light resistance to pulling someone in. For pulling light objects in it would be a low chakra cost. To pull a human being in slowly it would be medium. To pull them in quickly it would have a high chakra cost. The force of it depends on how far the target is from the seal.

[T/Solo/Jutsu] The Only Thing Stopping Me Is MeNov 7, 2023 4:22:56 GMT -5
juryoku yusei
juryoku yusei Avatar
groupnull

Yusei thought about it for a second. With his chakra, he could push and pull already. He even had a jutsu for flinging people far away. Yusei glanced down at the ball, and thought for a second. He just had to... combine the two ideas. Gather chakra and pull things inward, without needing to use fuinjutsu.

Like he would for that Furikku, Yusei clasped his hands together. Ox, dragon, bird. That translucent, "oily" air started to pool between his hands. At this point normally, he'd pressurize it in one hand and shoot with his thumb. He kept his hands together, doing another Dog, hare. What if he... pulled something inward enough that it left the ground.

He was however dogged by the same thing he was dogged by as a student; Yusei's chakra control was subpar. He somehow managed to pull the ball from the ground, but it hit him right in the face. The ball then rolled away, just out of reach. While he reached a hand to his cheek, he couldn't help but think he was onto something here. He wasn't able to do it yet, but the blueprint of it was there.

"...Almost there, Yusei."

[T/Solo/Jutsu] The Only Thing Stopping Me Is MeNov 8, 2023 20:11:30 GMT -5
juryoku yusei
juryoku yusei Avatar
groupnull

Yusei felt discouraged, watching the ball roll more or less back to where it started. He thought for a minute, taking a seat. He had a faint idea of what he was working towards, a form of Tsutaeru that didn't require touching the opponent or an object first. An attempt to cut out unnecessary movements. He even had handseals in mind, to mould the chakra and create a larger amount of fuel for the technique.

And he understood that the principle behind it was pretty similar, make a stationary seal or object that pulled things towards it. The problem was, finding a way to simply make the place where the energy went. That's the role making the seal served.

He also had to contend with his limitations here; Yusei just flat out did not have good chakra control. He compensated by more or less having a "backup generator" while the sun was up, but it was still not conducive to actually using ninjutsu. Often, targets were hurt too much or not enough. Smashing his brother's ankle in the chuunin exam years ago came to mind.

"...I think I know what I'm doing here."

[T/Solo/Jutsu] The Only Thing Stopping Me Is MeNov 8, 2023 22:31:59 GMT -5
juryoku yusei
juryoku yusei Avatar
groupnull

Yusei sat on the ground, cross-legged. He did not, in fact, know what he was doing here. Not in any real depth, really. He paused. There was an audible beat, as if he wanted to say something, but Yusei had done more than enough talking to himself for the day.

And he thought for a moment. That other jutsu he tried applying for this purpose, that Furikku, had a similar principle. Pool that chakra in your hand, pressurize, then release. But when he did that... His chakra always looked like an oil slick. It took on an off-white in the sun. And when he used that jutsu, it was in fact, a pressurized bead with that iridescent tint. Matter of fact, that single seal he knew had that look too, filling in the kana.

He thought to it again. Tsutaeru wrote the kanji on his hand, which he then used as "ink" to write on a surface. Once again, that oil-slick "vein" of chakra ran up to his hand, spelling out that word "impart" on his hand. He didn't touch anything, and instead stared at his hand for a moment, the ink slowly fading.

"...I might be onto something here. I've always shot that bead at people, and that's what sends them flying. What if... I held it still."

[T/Solo/Jutsu] The Only Thing Stopping Me Is MeNov 8, 2023 22:45:24 GMT -5
juryoku yusei
juryoku yusei Avatar
groupnull

Yusei stood up. He felt like he had the idea of what he was doing down this time. He glanced down at that ball, and then ahead at the training dummy. Ideally, he'd hold the bead at a distance, causing the ball to arc up around it and hit the dummy in the face. He could almost taste it; Yusei had a major breakthrough.

He started slowly working through the hand seals he'd done before. Ox, dragon, bird, hare, dragon. Those iridescent veins slowly grew along his arms, ending in his hands. He tented his fingers, staring at the ball. That chakra slowly pooled in his right hand, and he glanced down at it.

He held his hand shut, building pressure and rolling it into a ball using the grooves of his fingers. Eventually, rather than shoot it, he unfurled his hand. That little bead expanded to the size of a grapefruit. The sunlight bent around it, giving it the iridescent finish of a bubble. He then held his hand out, leading it to fall to the ground and pop. However, this time the ball rolled towards it and bounced harmlessly off his leg.

"...It needs to be harder, and to hold still, unless I move it."

[T/Solo/Jutsu] The Only Thing Stopping Me Is MeNov 14, 2023 2:10:10 GMT -5
juryoku yusei
juryoku yusei Avatar
groupnull

Yusei thought for a second. He sighed, looking at his hands. That iridescent, oily energy he had just couldn't come out right. Maybe he was approaching it wrong? He almost had it, but that was still a possibility.

He was this close, too. Yusei still had plenty of it, the sun was still up. He could afford to fail all day, even. The problem then, was how to get there sooner. He couldn't help but think of his peers, who were able to make these continuous streams of chakra, rather than quick, intense bursts like him..

He sat down cross-legged, working through those seals again. A bead of iridescent chakra formed in the palm of one hand. It was only as large as a plum, but it sat in his hand just fine. Yusei held it to the ground, and watched patches of grass bend towards it. There was a significance to him outside of mastering the jutsu: The first person to discover this hijutsu bent an entire field of grass around herself.

"...Almost there. Almost. I just need to make it bigger. But, this is what I was waiting for."

[T/Solo/Jutsu] The Only Thing Stopping Me Is MeNov 15, 2023 3:22:39 GMT -5
juryoku yusei
juryoku yusei Avatar
groupnull

Yusei stood up, holding his hands together. There was something he was missing here, but he felt closer than ever. He wove together a series of signs, albeit much slower than before. He had the vague idea down. A sphere that pulls everything towards it, a move stronger than Tsutaeru.

He even had the seals and the sequence down, having felt it out a few times. He understood the principle of it too: His ace in the hole was just pressurizing this chakra and letting it escape through his hand. He'd have to just... let it freely expand in his hand and set it free.

Yusei worked through the signs again, making an iridescent bubble form in his hand. It was roughly the size and shape of a plum, and sat in his palm. He then held his hand out, and it stuck. While this was closer to what he wanted, there was one more test. Yusei knelt down, expecting the ball to rise to his hand. While the pull was there, the mass of the sphere wasn't enough. The ball simply hit him in the face again.

"..."

[T/Solo/Jutsu] The Only Thing Stopping Me Is MeNov 22, 2023 6:38:49 GMT -5
juryoku yusei
juryoku yusei Avatar
groupnull

Yusei stood there, looking down. He was onto something here. His eyes lit up, and he watched the orb shatter. He wasn't there yet, sure. But he had something there. He had the first usable version of the jutsu he'd been cooking, in isolation.

To pressurize the chakra and let it expand instead of shooting it seemed to be the key. And even then, that Furikku struck him as just shooting the bead he made at someone. His only tasks now were expanding it, and expanding the field it generated. How to do that with his subpar chakra control was another question entirely, but he understood the principle of Tadayou Hiki.

Yusei worked through the signs again, making an iridescent bubble form in his hand. It was roughly the size and shape of a navel orange. He smiled a little, seeing it all start to come together. He held his hand to the ground, watching the world warp around it, ever so slightly. Grass bent and bowed, and dust slowly pulled itself from the dry earth.

It wasn't a whole lot, all things considered. But it reminded him of a story he was told in the clan compound. The first Jūryoku bending a whole field of grass around her, without ever meaning to.

"..."

[T/Solo/Jutsu] The Only Thing Stopping Me Is MeNov 23, 2023 22:50:03 GMT -5
juryoku yusei
juryoku yusei Avatar
groupnull

Yusei stood there, looking down. He was onto something here. His eyes lit up, and he watched the orb slowly dissipate. It was small, powerful, but buckled under its own weight.

To pressurize the chakra and let it expand instead of shooting it seemed to be the key. Yusei had the principle of Tadayou Hiki down, but he didn't have it down yet. Yusei couldn't get the density of the sphere right. He'd been able to expand it a little more last time, but the bead was still fragile, prone to imploding on its own or on contact.

Yusei worked through the hand-signs again, clasping his hands together longer. While the last bubble was too small, he felt like he could compress it and let it expand further. All the while, he felt those white veins close around his hands more. The bead grew to the size of an orange, the same as last time. It clung to his hand too. The second he held his palm out to try and pull in the training dummy, his fingers punctured the bead while trying to grip it.

The two things he struggled with here were the size and the density of the bead. While he could afford to fail all day due to his chakra reserves, the root of this was something else entirely. He'd never seen someone use this, he'd only heard of it at the compound. Presumably, it was terrifying enough in combat. Actually controlling the exact amount of chakra he needed fought against both his chakra control and his lack of exposure to it.

"...I'm almost there. And I'm too far away to ask my mom for advice. I guess I gotta man up."

[T/Solo/Jutsu] The Only Thing Stopping Me Is MeNov 23, 2023 22:59:12 GMT -5
juryoku yusei
juryoku yusei Avatar
groupnull

Yusei just sat there for a moment, collecting himself. He curled his legs into a cross-legged position, and he shut his eyes, to center himself.

A child of Jonin level ninja, some of whom predated Kusagakure. And here he was. Contemplating sending a letter away, or scampering home with his tail between his legs.

He'd long held the belief that due to his chakra reserves, if he just held back a little he could fight all day long. But perhaps... therein lied the issue. He was every bit as scared of knocking himself out as everyone else. And, as his conversation with Shosuke bore out, Yusei was scared of himself on some level. He could effortlessly fight for days on end, but that was exactly it.

Having chakra reserves and subpar control ought to instead mean using an excessive amount to pull off the jutsu in question. He needed that bead to be dense enough that he couldn't destroy it on accident, and that'd mean summoning all of the effort and willpower he didn't have.

"...I need to put it all on the line now, or else I can't later."

last edit by juryoku yusei on Nov 23, 2023 22:59:28 GMT -5
[T/Solo/Jutsu] The Only Thing Stopping Me Is MeNov 23, 2023 23:15:09 GMT -5
juryoku yusei
juryoku yusei Avatar
groupnull

Yusei stood upright, pacing back and forth. The training dummy sat there. A densely packed, person-shaped, mass of cloth. A scarecrow that people could beat like a dog getting its jaws around a teddy bear.

He then stood there, feet planted shoulder-width apart. Yusei stared the dummy down, watching the breeze play with the frayed ends.

Yusei worked through the hand-signs again, though this time it was much slower. He held each one, like he did to squeeze harder with his projected fields. He could feel a large mass of chakra work his way to his hands, like he had blood rushing down from his head. Yusei felt light-headed, in the way you would after running a mile.

The bead slowly grew in his clenched hands. Eventually it grew too large, parting his hands. The bead expanded to the size of a grapefruit. Yusei held it out in one hand, white-knuckle gripping the bead. The training dummy was dragged forward, falling and sliding on the ground towards him. Yusei then kicked the dummy, and it continued to drift towards him, no matter how many times he repelled it. This must be... Tadayou Hiki.

"...Nobody's ever gonna feel let down, or left out, ever again. I'll be strong enough to protect everyone."