Affirmations

compose a reply
AffirmationsDec 18, 2023 2:31:21 GMT -5
Chikamatsu Kiyoshi
Your worth is measured by the worth of what you value.
Chikamatsu Kiyoshi Avatar
groupSand Shinobi
age 43 years old birthday July 2nd, 980 rank Jounin occupation Godaime Kazekage
     Kiyoshi sat at his desk, paperwork orderly assembled on its surface. Nothing was out of its place - his hat and cloak were hung on the wall behind him, his old, worn headband framed beside them. He was in the middle of signing documents pertaining to more economic matters - re-signing trade deals and agreements that Takato had made during his reign.

The new Kage trusted Yondaime's judgement about a good many things - even if they disagreed on some matters, Kiyoshi knew Takato possessed a good head for things of that nature. They didn't call him the Conciliator for nothing.

Of the things his predecessor had deigned and Kiyoshi now had to decide upon himself, the matter of a bodyguard was a particularly important one. Takato had given the position to Kyokujitsu Asahi. Kiyoshi remembered seeing the young man around when he was a Jounin Team Leader, though he hadn't been on his team - hadn't been on any, in fact. Kiyoshi's team had been full up at the time, and there weren't many other eligible leaders.

He'd been fresh out of the Academy then, but going from his paperwork he'd worked his way up to a Special Jounin in the time he'd been gone. Takato'd judged him to be a fitting guard for a Kage - but the role was an important one, so Kiyoshi had to be sure himself.

He'd asked an assistant to fetch the young man a while ago, and now there was a rap on the large wooden doors.

"Come in," he said.

| 254 words
last edit by Chikamatsu Kiyoshi on Feb 4, 2024 4:06:35 GMT -5
Phantasm has written 115 posts
AffirmationsDec 18, 2023 13:45:06 GMT -5
Kyokujitsu Asahi
Nindo Goes Here: Edit Profile > Personal > Most Recent Status
Kyokujitsu Asahi Avatar
groupSand Shinobi
age 21 years old birthday August 28th, 1002 rank Special Jounin occupation Kazekage Bodyguard
{
}

Change was always an interesting thing in its ability to be a wildly varied concept. Sometimes what was altered left no significant mark on a persons life or the larger world in general but other times... Today held within it to be an opportunity for the latter and truly there was no way that Asahi felt he could prepare himself for the upcoming conversation other than putting his best foot forward and letting his intentions be known. He had enjoyed being a bodyguard for Takato and while he hadn't really had to do much in the way of actual protecting the special jounin felt that he had still learned a great deal from the man and was able to use the opportunity to better himself as both a person and shinobi. Quite a few had thought him too young and incapable to even be in the position to begin with, having been appointed right after his promotion to chunin and all, but the Kyokujitsu felt that he grew into the role over time. Would such sentiments matter for Kiyoshi?

Truth be told Asahi wasn't entirely familiar with the man and it seemed that he had spent some time away from the village for one reason or another but returned in time to be picked as successor. Having to learn the details of another person after so long would no doubt be a challenge though perhaps it could be a good thing. Asahi was linked to the former first family of Suna in more ways than one and that familiarity may have allowed for a bit more leeway than others in the same role would have been granted. Maybe because of that leeway the need for a conversation was even taking place.

Asahi would shake his head to rid himself of the thought as he walked through the familiar halls of the Kage tower. Even if he were to no longer be a bodyguard there were still plenty of other roles that he could be of use in the village. He hadn't given much thought to any of them outside of maybe leading a team though with how mentally draining it was trying to corral Zakku and Ayukawa the sheer thought of handling people even younger sent a chill down his spine.

The man would knock on the large wooden doors as he arrived and gently opened them as he heard the call to enter. "You called for me, Kiyoshi-san?" Asahi inquired as he gave a bow to the man. The office was so familiar yet different at the same time.

MADE BY VEL OF GS
Kata has written 604 posts
AffirmationsDec 19, 2023 16:06:20 GMT -5
Chikamatsu Kiyoshi
groupSand Shinobi
     The door creaked open and Asahi entered. Kiyoshi set aside his pen atop a stack of letters addressed to various Daimyou. He sat up from his chair. "Good afternoon, Asahi. Please, come in." he said as he crossed to a pair of couches on the right side of the room. Kiyoshi gestured for Asahi to sit opposite him.

The soft couch settled around him as he relaxed. "It's been six years, hasn't it? You were a Genin when we last saw one another. Congratulations on the promotions. I would've liked it if you were on my team back then." he said with a smile.

He reached across the table and uncovered a set of tea and coffee ware. "Coffee? Tea? Water?" he asked. Kiyoshi pulled a cup out of the kit and poured himself some ice cold water, then motioned for Asahi to help himself to whatever he'd like.

When the pair'd settled in for their discussion, Kiyoshi asked Asahi a question. "What'd your posting as Takato's bodyguard entail? Tell me a little about it. Any difficulties?"

A light breeze blew in from the open window. A small glass dove floated inside, using its claws to hook a folder from his desk. Kiyoshi picked a pair of glasses up from the table and put them on as the dove flew over and dropped the folder in his waiting hand, before flying off back outside. He cracked it open and began to skim over Asahi's file and the summaries of his recent missions.

| 252 words
AffirmationsDec 21, 2023 13:37:14 GMT -5
Kyokujitsu Asahi
Kyokujitsu Asahi Avatar
groupSand Shinobi
age 21 years old birthday August 28th, 1002 rank Special Jounin occupation Kazekage Bodyguard
{
}

Entering the room and taking a seat on a couch across from Kiyoshi, Asahi tried his best to call back on memories from his time as a genin where he and the man would have crossed paths. Being fresh out of the academy brought with it a whirlwind of meeting people and new faces including new sensei and those you would have to report to day in and day out. "Thank you, and yes some stability with a genin team probably would have helped me become a chunin quicker." He'd reply with a slight chuckle.

The Kyokujitsu would shift his gaze to the offered beverages before opting to pour himself a cup of tea. It was still a taste he was trying to acquire but as the years passed he found it to be something that brought a calming presence in lieu of actually tasting good. Maybe one day he'd find a flavor that could provide both but today was not that day. With beverages out of the way Kiyoshi inquire about what it was like being a bodyguard for Takato. Asahi assumed that the man would want enough detail to be able to paint a good picture but probably didn't want his ear talked off at the same time, which considering the tangled history that the Kyokujitsu had with the First Family would prove challenging.

"Accompanying Takato-san on all diplomatic envoys, most recently to meet with the head of Kumogakure, occasional errand running if he or his family needed something. We also trained together every now and then, never could beat him though. I was also able to rotate out from guard duty to take missions." He'd pause for a moment to think on the second part of the Kazekage's question: where there any difficulties with the job? There were, of course, but Asahi wasn't sure if people questioning his appointment due to age or inexperience was the answer Kiyoshi was looking for, so he'd leave that part out for now.

"I'd say the most difficult part was sometimes figuring out my purpose in the role, I guess. For as long as I've known him Takato-san was the strongest person in the village. His iron sand, his intelligence, his skill with fuinjutsu, I wondered how I'd be able to help someone who is the strongest.. er, um, no offense." It had only taken mere moments for the man to put his foot in his mouth and he could feel himself looking for a new job already.

MADE BY VEL OF GS
AffirmationsDec 22, 2023 22:57:39 GMT -5
Chikamatsu Kiyoshi
groupSand Shinobi
     Kiyoshi laughed and graciously waved his hand in reassurance. "None taken. That's not why I was chosen." It'd been a great many years since he could say he would've been able to best Takato in a fight: probably when the future Yondaime was fresh from the Academy, and before Kiyoshi had ruined his lungs. Ever since, he'd been focused on teaching.

"Though I'd like to think I could give him a run for his money." he said with a chuckle. "But, if anything, it makes your role all the more important." Kiyoshi glanced down at the small map on the file detailing the aforementioned travels. He'd soon need to travel to Kaminari no Kuni himself, to oversee the Chuunin Exams.

Kiyoshi set the folder aside for a moment, removed his glasses. "I'm glad to hear that you accompanied him afar: there'll plenty of that to come, if you decide to remain in the role." He looked Asahi over, gauging his reaction.

"Oonakayama will still be making plenty of those trips as ambassador. It's up to you whether you'd like to become my bodyguard, or remain his. I won't begrudge your choice."

It wasn't a lie - though partially, it was to gauge whether Asahi's loyalties were to Sunagakure or to what he was familiar with. Kiyoshi needed to know that Asahi was committed - not just to be able to place his trust in his devotion to protecting the village's leader, but that he was committed to protecting the village's future - not just its past.

| 253 words
AffirmationsDec 26, 2023 16:18:17 GMT -5
Kyokujitsu Asahi
Kyokujitsu Asahi Avatar
groupSand Shinobi
{
}

Well he hadn't been immediately kicked out of the office so that was a good thing and for someone who was usually so careful with his words Asahi still couldn't believe he had let such a thing slip, though perhaps that was just due to the connection that he and Takato-san had developed over the years and how much he idolized him. Kiyoshi himself wasn't a super imposing figure and he had done well to make the special jounin feel at ease for what was understandably a potentially awkward conversation, but none the less the Kyokujitsu would be sure to mind his words going forward.

His eyes widened slightly at the Kazekage's next words: if he decided to remain in the role. Was he.. giving Asahi the option to remain as his bodyguard instead of making the decision for him? It wasn't something the man considered being an option since... well, he really didn't have a good reason. There wasn't much in the way of exploits in regards to his bodyguard duties for him to make a case. No waves of assassins' fought off, no plots to destabilize the village thwarted while in the role. He was vigilant during their travels but didn't do much more than that which he supposed was all they were tasked with doing but it all felt like it wasn't enough to truly make an impact. Still, Kiyoshi had presented the opportunity for him to continue on as a bodyguard and there was no way he was doing so lightly.

Then came the next piece of the puzzle pertaining to whose bodyguard Asahi chose to be. He had the option to continue along with Takato-san which would probably keep him in the village more and allow him to spend more time with Arashi which was always a plus, but on that same note it would surely keep him stationed in Suna more than he would have liked. The man was retired and what trips he did take --officially, anyway-- would surely be far and few in between. The man still had a desire to see and experience more of the world and it would definitely be something he could achieve alongside Kiyoshi.

At the end of the day however Asahi had chosen to protect the title and not just the person who currently held it. "I'd like to stay on as your bodyguard if that's alright. I owe a lot to Takato-san but I think he'd understand this is the best decision to further my growth as both a person and a shinobi of Suna." He would reply. The die had been cast and his intentions made known but it still remained up to the Kazekage to retain him.

MADE BY VEL OF GS
AffirmationsDec 27, 2023 6:30:34 GMT -5
Chikamatsu Kiyoshi
groupSand Shinobi
     "Good!" he said with a grin and a bow of his head. "Consider your position reaffirmed, then. I'm glad to have you on board." Takato, Arashi, Asahi - thus far, he felt he was building himself quite the crew. There would be plenty of others as well - Kiyoshi wasn't one to refuse talent.

The young man's response had been everything he had wanted to hear. Especially that it was the best decision for his further growth. Kiyoshi still had to assess what his current level was for himself though: words on paper could only ever tell so much. His combat prowess could be tested easily enough by accompanying him on a mission.

He set the file and glasses fully off to the side. "Onto business." He gestured to the map of both continents behind himself. "I suppose you'll be returning to Kaminari no Kuni sooner than you may've expected: we'll be heading to Akazaya for the Chuunin Exams soon."

He pointed a few more spots out over his shoulder, displaying a near uncanny ability to pinpoint exact locations without even looking at the map - which'd only just been framed recently. "I'd also like to visit Konohagakure and Port City, Kusagakure - perhaps Yukigakure, Kirigakure, and Takigakure as well."

"At least, anyway. There'll be plenty of travel - hopefully you enjoy seeing new sights as much as I always have." he remarked with a smile. "When we're here, you'll have plenty of time for missions, if you wish. I'm not a doddering old man - yet." he joked.

"And on that topic, I'd like to tackle a mission together soon - get an idea for what you're really capable of." he said while patting the file, as if to imply he didn't think what it contained displayed what Asahi's potential actually was.

| 296 words
last edit by Chikamatsu Kiyoshi on Dec 27, 2023 6:33:19 GMT -5
AffirmationsDec 30, 2023 19:07:05 GMT -5
Kyokujitsu Asahi
Kyokujitsu Asahi Avatar
groupSand Shinobi
{
}

Asahi had expected a pause of sorts for Kiyoshi to consider his words, perhaps even let him know that he'd have a decision for him in a few days time, so hearing the man confirm his continuing on and then right into the next item on his docket was a bit of a shock. Perhaps the man had caught on to his anxiety about the situation and wanted to assuage those fears as soon as possible, which is exactly what happened as that weight Asahi had been carrying around since Takato had announced his retirement was suddenly gone.

He'd listen to the man speak on how they'd be taking a trip to the land of lightning for the upcoming chunin exams. "Ah, time for those again." Asahi would remark as he thought back to his own for a moment. They had been years ago at this point but some parts he remembered as if they happened yesterday. He didn't know anyone personally who was going to enter this time around as Ayukawa was already a chunin and Senshi was still much too young to even consider taking part; perhaps the silver haired girl from Konoha that he had led on a mission a while back would be there?

But there would be time to ponder that at a later date as for now Kiyoshi had continued to list off places that he planned to visit, some friendly and others... not so much. Was the man planning to try and ease tensions and add new allies for the village, or was he simply confirming that hostilities were still in play? Questions for later, perhaps never. It was an ambitious list to say the least but Asahi was more than thrilled with the aspect of getting to see more of the world. "That's an impressive list of locations, I can't wait to see them." He would reply with a smile of his own.

One thing that would not be changing, however, was the fact that Asahi would still be able to take on missions when not accompanying the man on his travels which he could appreciate. The special jounin had developed a decent knack for field work and it was in his opinion where he was able to develop his skills the most; not only fighting, but strategy and investigation as well; the training fields of Suna could only help so much in that regard.

Speaking of missions, Kiyoshi let his intentions known that he wanted the two of them to take on a mission together in the near future to see first hand if his bodyguard was truly up to snuff. Spectacled eyes glanced at the file in the man's hands --no doubt his own-- and while it was surely chock full of Asahi's exploits during his time as a shinobi words on paper could only paint so much of a picture. "Yes of course, I suppose having a bodyguard that you haven't seen personally fight before would be leaving a lot to chance." The man replied with a chuckle of understanding. He and Takato had never been on any official mission together so it was definitely going to be a new experience.

MADE BY VEL OF GS
AffirmationsJan 6, 2024 3:33:59 GMT -5
Chikamatsu Kiyoshi
groupSand Shinobi
     Kiyoshi laughed a bit, strummed his fingers on the fabric. There were quite a few things to be taken care of, plenty left from his predecessor that now fell to him to solve. "There's a traitor leading some bandits, in the southeast - on the tip of the peninsula, south of the bay."

"My-" he restrained himself from saying brother. Things seemed so much more official, all of the time, now. "The Wind Daimyou's armies have been searching for them for a while now, unable to catch them." He pointed out the spot on the map.

"Thing is, the traitor has something of a personal navy - more than he ought to. Where he got all the ships is another matter, probably one we won't uncover, but it means they can set out from caves, easily escape detection." There'd already been conjecture that one of their enemies had sent the fleet, but there wasn't likely to be any evidence of that.

"At the rate it's going, the search will last indefinitely. I'd planned to send the Squad," he said begrudgingly, with clear disdain in his voice, "but I think everyone would be better served if you and I took care of it."

"I'll have the briefing sent to you later, it'll still be a few days before I can manage to sneak out." he laughed. "Arashi has already been getting on me for still doing missions." Kiyoshi stood up and took his place back at his desk, let Asahi know he was good to leave whenever he'd please, if he didn't want anymore refreshments. "I'll see you then." he concluded with a small bow of his head.

| 275 words
last edit by Phantasm on Jan 6, 2024 3:59:32 GMT -5
AffirmationsJan 8, 2024 11:28:17 GMT -5
Kyokujitsu Asahi
Kyokujitsu Asahi Avatar
groupSand Shinobi
{
}

Asahi was surprised to hear that Kiyoshi already had something on the books for them to get into. He had assumed that once a request of interest came across his desk they'd embark on something, but it sounded like this had been a mission the man had on his mind for a while. The Kyokujitsu's mind instantly flashed back to his last encounter with what he would have described as pirates and almost losing Arashi to both smuggling and drowning in the process of defeating them. They had been in over their heads and still to this day had not told any of the higher ups about it. The leader had managed to escape leading the man to wonder for a brief moment if this had been the same person because just how many sea faring bandits could there have been around Kaze no Kuni?

An awkward reunion that would have been...

"Hmm, that does sound tricky what with them being able to duck and dive out of caves and the such, but moving a force that size still takes time and effort and no doubt leaves a trail of some sort to follow." Whether those breadcrumbs were chakra related or not remained to be seen, but if they were then Asahi felt confident he'd be able to track these guys down.

At the mention of Arashi yet another somewhat uncomfortable truth popped into the man's head: how would Kiyoshi feel about the two of them dating? They had been in a relationship well before the woman's appointment to Hancho which was why perhaps Takato had never made mention of it but this was new leadership and it couldn't be assumed that the man would allow such a thing to happen under his watch. This was of course assuming that Kiyoshi didn't already know but that was a conversation best saved for a later date.

All in all this had been a very productive meeting and the stress and anxiousness Asahi had felt leading up to this day and melted away during the course of their conversation. He still had a job and most importantly the support of the new Kazekage, but said support also came with expectations so the onus still remained on the Kyokujitsu to better himself each and every day. "Yes sir, I look forward to it." Asahi would reply as he stood from the couch and gave a slight bow before exiting the room.

MADE BY VEL OF GS