Drowning [T | Daichi]Jan 9, 2024 21:35:38 GMT -5
Kaguya Toru
"Live or die, just do it well.
Kaguya Toru Avatar
groupMist Shinobi
age 16 years old birthday August 5, 1007 rank Elite Jounin occupation Mizukage
I would know him in death
At the end of the world

Toru had spent the majority of the day waffling between finishing up his paperwork - which he had been doing regardless at an even and slow pace - or leaving early and working on some training. It had been a bit of a difficult thing to do, his training. Mostly because there were simply not enough people who could help him with what he needed help with. Another layer to all of this was he hated to ask for help. He was the Mizukage and the Daimyo... There was almost something taboo about him asking for any kind of assistance.

Perhaps this was part of why Daichi felt so strongly about him taking breaks or doing anything that was not working? Maybe. He wasn't sure. He just knew that Daichi frequently insisted on them taking a break so that the beloved Mizukage did not drop dead at the ripe age of twenty years old from some kind of brain aneurysm due to overwork, stress and burden.

Toru was not under the belief that he would die like this - he felt battle was more likely - but he also had a difficult time with all of the things that Daichi wanted him to do... Rest, ask for help when it was needed. It was a bother.

But now the clock was reminding him that he really should consider training.

However, instead of going out to a proper space to do so the teenager continued to sit there staring into the abyss, completely detached from his work as he focused on expelling his chakra in a layer over the area to try and drown out anybody in the area who was a sensor.

Han has written 2,374 posts
Drowning [T | Daichi]Jan 15, 2024 9:42:40 GMT -5
yamaguchi daichi
however long it takes.
yamaguchi daichi Avatar
groupMist Shinobi
age 17 years old birthday september 23 rank chuunin occupation mizukage bodyguard

Daichi was a dirty hypocrite.

He nagged Toru night and day to take a break, get some rest, do something for fun and relaxation and to unwind—but the second he himself had an ounce of free time, Daichi did not do any of those things, but instead offered himself up to help anyone who needed it in a five kilometer radius. He was not always glued to Toru’s side… and, in truth, had been making more of an effort to break off and do things on his own since the embarrassing incident with Isobu.

Toru had enough on his plate. Daichi’s… situation didn’t need to pile on to it.

Daichi never strayed far, though. Always in or near the Kage tower, just a few flash-steps away in the event of an emergency.

Like now.

Between one breath and the next the warm, familiar beacon of Toru’s chakra, a pinpoint of light shining out from the dozens of signatures within the Kage tower, was abruptly taken over by would Daichi could only describe as radio static—gobbling up not just Toru’s pinpointed location, but the signatures of every single other person in the Kage Tower. It was still Toru’s signature, Daichi could tell that much, but it was suddenly big and loud and wrong.

He didn’t think; he just ran. Pushed himself to the point of utter exhaustion, flash-stepping as much and as quickly as he could without running the risk of physically tearing the muscles of his legs, to arrive in Toru’s office to find—

—absolutely nothing wrong. Toru was sitting at his desk in that dissociative state he sometimes went into when he thought no one was paying attention, with absolutely nothing wrong.

"Respectfully, my lord,” Daichi said disrespectfully, "what is happening with your chakra? I thought you—”

He cut himself off, chest heaving with the effort he had just put himself through. He was utterly incensed with the pure, righteous fury experienced only by someone feeling bone-deep relief that nothing was actually wrong, impotent frustration with absolutely nowhere to go. Fingers raked through his hair, trying to shed some of his excess agitation as he slid back from crisis management into normal bodyguard hours.

"It’s like static. White noise, over the whole tower. It’s all you, but I can’t pick you out from the middle of it and everyone else is just gone.

LAIKA OF THQ
tactician has written 260 posts
Drowning [T | Daichi]Jan 15, 2024 12:48:31 GMT -5
Kaguya Toru
Kaguya Toru Avatar
groupMist Shinobi
At the end of the world

Toru looked up when Daichi walked in, or rather rushed into his office. He looked rather frantic for one reason or another and Toru could not imagine why that would be the case. He just stared at Daichi as he articulated his confusion and slight fury and concern.

"It's working?"

That was almost a genuine but happy little surprise. He had not been able to get it perfect, and perhaps what Daichi was describing was not perfect as well. But it was some kind of progress, not to mention he was able to push it out towards the rest of the tower that was impressive all on its own.

"I am training how to distort sensory abilities, I should have told you. I apologize that my experiment caused worry." It was definitely a bit awkward, but Toru didn't really feel he needed to apologize for training, aside for the fact that he had clearly given Daichi a mini-heart attack. Something he had not intended on doing... Honestly he didn't really expect Daichi to show up out of nowhere, he had thought that perhaps he was far enough away taking a break. Apparently not. Apparently he had been close enough to note that something was *strange*.

Drowning [T | Daichi]Jan 21, 2024 3:35:03 GMT -5
yamaguchi daichi
however long it takes.
yamaguchi daichi Avatar
groupMist Shinobi
age 17 years old birthday september 23 rank chuunin occupation mizukage bodyguard

It’s working? Toru asked, and the question was asked with such sincere surprise and quiet, understated happiness that Daichi felt all of his agitation just melt away. He smiled despite himself, leaning against the back of the chair that he normally occupied on the opposite side of where Toru sat at his desk.

"At least you’re doing it on purpose,” he said, his latent anxiety unwinding. "You don’t—you don’t have to apologize. I just… thought something had gone wrong, that’s all. I’m glad you’re okay.”

Which left a final concern: if Toru was training to distort sensory abilities, how in the hells was Daichi supposed to be able to keep track of him?

"It’s called jamming, right?” Daichi tapped the toe of his sandal idly against the ground, worrying his lower lip with his teeth. "I’ve heard of it, but I’ve never actually encountered someone who could do it before. Is it—I mean, it’s unilateral, right? Enemies won’t be able to pinpoint you, but that means I won’t be able to either.”

There were countless other trained, highly skilled sensors in Kirigakure’s ranks, to be sure, but Daichi couldn’t have cared less about any of them right at that moment. If he couldn’t serve his primary purpose of keeping track of the Mizukage and his immediate orbit, then what good would he be? He’d have to figure out a way to circumvent it, somehow.

LAIKA OF THQ
Drowning [T | Daichi]Jan 24, 2024 13:08:41 GMT -5
Kaguya Toru
Kaguya Toru Avatar
groupMist Shinobi
At the end of the world

"Right... But if I learn it I should be able to control it enough that outside of necessary scenarios you will be able to still find me." Toru had the intention to not have this thing be active all the time, after all it was probably a bad idea to just have one's chakra leaking out at all times. It was not like sensory from what he had understood. Sensory required pinpointed control that meant there was little chakra being expended at any given moment. For jamming it required a vast pool of chakra which meant immediately that he would be utilizing chakra foolishly if he allowed to be constantly fogging up an area.

Toru knew just how concerned this would make Daichi - if his sudden appearance was any indication - and so he stared at the older boy in silence for a moment longer, inspecting the tension in his body that was melting away now that he was certain that Toru was not in any kind of danger.

Though with the security in their village it was unlikely anyone would make it this far without some kind of resistance from shinobi that were literally all over the entire village.

"Would you like to help me more in my endeavors? Clearly something worked to summon you."

Drowning [T | Daichi]Mar 11, 2024 2:20:01 GMT -5
yamaguchi daichi
however long it takes.
yamaguchi daichi Avatar
groupMist Shinobi

Daichi’s inexperience with the concept was the source of his concerns: if turning it off was an option, and the Mizukage wouldn’t just be leaking chakra in a five-kilometer radius at all times, then at least half of Daichi’s anxiety was alleviated right there.

Maybe it spoke to his mental state, that he’d become so accustomed to having such constant working knowledge of the tower and its surroundings—and more recently the village as a larger structure, as his control of his Mind’s Eye was refined and his sensory skill cast a wider net. Having even an ounce of that knowledge ripped away from him—especially if Toru was at the center of it—he hated it.

But Toru was asking for help, and that was more important than anything else at play: without a second thought Daichi set the last of his reservations aside, filing away his anxieties for future review.

"Yeah, of course,” he said. He pushed off the back of the chair, wincing faintly at the ache in his legs—he’d done something like four flash-steps back to back, and the damage Sora had done to his pelvic bone still flared up when he pushed himself too hard. Idly stretching out his hamstrings, he tugged at his eyepatch so that it fell loosely around his neck.

"Vitality detection should work, still,” he said—beyond careless, he didn’t think twice about speaking so casually of his doujutsu to Toru. There was nothing Toru didn’t know about it at this point. "Usually works against anti-sensory techniques in general, so it should be good here. How d’you want me?”

Whether Toru wanted another combat-lite exercise, as when he was practicing with his toxic coral, or a more casual sit-down endeavor, like Daichi’s two truths and a lie game—he was unhesitating either way.

LAIKA OF THQ

last edit by yamaguchi daichi on Mar 13, 2024 3:58:48 GMT -5
Drowning [T | Daichi]Mar 12, 2024 11:00:39 GMT -5
Kaguya Toru
Kaguya Toru Avatar
groupMist Shinobi
At the end of the world

Toru had not yet thought far enough to decide on what would be best for the exercise. He was uncertain as of yet, whether he was good enough at what he was doing to be moving and simulating combat while suppressing sensory attempts. It wasn't exactly easy. In this regard he had a bit of admiration for the sensors who could passively sense others - like Daichi. Moving around and yet still he was able to tell what was going on on a much larger scale. It was impressive to say the very least.

But not being one much for compliments he watched Daichi stand with a bit of pain in his movement as he pulled down the eye patch. Toru knew enough about the Yamaguchi, even with all of their clan attempts to be secretive, they did serve the village to some extent as shinobi. As a result he had all the necessary files on their abilities and if he had not had files then Daichi would have certainly created them for Toru at this point.

"I am not comfortable enough yet to move much while doing this. The chakra is difficult to control." He explained quietly, shifting slightly in his seat.

"How do I want you? I want you here telling me if I'm doing it right."

Drowning [T | Daichi]Mar 13, 2024 4:20:17 GMT -5
yamaguchi daichi
however long it takes.
yamaguchi daichi Avatar
groupMist Shinobi

"You’re doing it right.” Daichi grinned, a wry, sly little thing that crept across his lips. A pleasant shiver had run up his spine, but he placed that feeling firmly aside, adamantly refusing to connect the cause-and-effect that he had staunchly determined had no place in this office.

Instead he claimed his seat, pulling one leg up to wrap his arm around his knee, a very idle and casual stretch to his inner thigh that had been part of his physical therapy routine. The more bones he shattered, the more stretches to do, and it was helpful to keep his idling mind occupied.

"Right now, it’s…” he tilted his head, trying to map out the precise measurements with his Mind’s Eye. "The whole tower wall-to-wall, but not much beyond that. Like I said, it’s like radio static. I feel… you, and I know objectively that there’s other people in there, but I can’t pick them out. It’s distorted, all blurring together.”

He looped the strap of his eyepatch around his knee, using it like a makeshift resistance band. He’d been growing more and more thoughtless with it lately; he’d even left the office without it on a time or three, forgetting momentarily why he’d even been wearing it in the first place.

"I’m not sure that there’s much of a way to refine the execution from here,” Daichi admitted. "Vitality’s fine, but even with the Mind’s Eye I can’t see anything except for your chakra. Only way up is out, I guess. Extending the range.”

LAIKA OF THQ