CHUUNIN EXAMS | ROUND 3 | FIGHT 2 | REN VS. DAREDEMO

fallen blades
CHUUNIN EXAMS | ROUND 3 | FIGHT 2 | REN VS. DAREDEMOFeb 27, 2024 7:59:28 GMT -5
Daredemo
Anybody can be a shinobi, only some can be a ninja.
Daredemo Avatar
groupLeaf Shinobi
age 14 years old birthday April 2nd rank Genin occupation Team 3
DAREDEMO
     This was certainly the end game. He and Ren were in check. For the time being it seemed to be a perpetual check, and as a proper shogi player Daredemo couldn't allow this illegal move to continue. His blade made it's way to the opponent, and in the same moment he threw the smoke trap. It was a fluid motion, one he was surprised to see broken up by the signature puff that saw the activation of clones. What kind of clones were these though. Shadow Clones were a bit advanced, but not unheard of. Daredemo had certainly gotten some big hitter jutsu to saved up for the next round of combat. 

The singe of his ashes burned at his skin, his neck, his shoulders, some parts of the arm that had thrown the ash. Small singes went up his arm. But he certainly had the better of the results. The clones went in to try and surround him. Daredemo's eyes primarily stayed locked on Ren during the exchange. His initial strike was blocked by one of the new creations, but Dare allowed his blade to pivot upwards, switching his grip to a reverse as he brought the blade back down. 

He would be focusing on the side of Ren that had been hit by the jutsu, blocking his vision of the movement as best as Daredemo could manage.

As the ash and smoke cleared, Daredemo could feel a blade pressed to the back of his leg and side of his neck. Ren would feel a blade placed against his neck as well, as Daredemo's smirk remained standing firm upon Ren's commentary.

"Way I see it, you got for the kill, I go for the kill. Seems better than defeat to me." Dare would have shrugged had the position of his blade not been so invaluable to this bluff of his. 

Relevent SA's: Enhanced Speed and Kenjutsu
last edit by Daredemo on Feb 29, 2024 1:50:03 GMT -5
Tuturu has written 209 posts
CHUUNIN EXAMS | ROUND 3 | FIGHT 2 | REN VS. DAREDEMOFeb 28, 2024 2:19:44 GMT -5
hirana kizumi
death before dishonor.
hirana kizumi Avatar
groupCloud Shinobi
age 37 years old birthday october 13 rank jounin occupation raikage

Hello my dears!! It’s clobberin’ battlemoddin’ time!!

We’re going to start tracking events as of rotation 6, since we’re discussing the timeline of rotation 7 and the start of rotation 8.

The events thus far:

[R6] Dare, under cover of the smoke bomb Ren threw in rotation 5, gobbles up a ration pill to recover some chakra, then attaches an explosive tag to a kunai and sends it sailing out of the smoke.

[R6] Ren throws two kunai to try to intercept Dare’s tagged one and throw it off course, but Dare’s throw is more effective than Ren’s and it still manages to cover half the distance Ren gets knocked back by the explosion and draws two more kunai, tags one with an explosive note and one with a flashbomb, and throws one each to the left and right of Dare (respectively.) Scribbles a seal on his sword with a fuin brush and prepares for Dare’s next attack.

[R7] Dare scrambles to recover from the explosive and the flash bomb, then dashes in to get in melee with Ren, sword in one hand and using the As Lifeless As Cold Ashes technique to throw burning embers in Ren’s eyes.

[R7] Ren uses the Shadow Clone technique as Dare comes into melee range. He tries to duck down to dodge out of the way of Dare’s technique but isn’t quite fast enough; he tumbles to the ground to get out of the way but catches burns to his shoulder, neck, and the right side of his face, and is blinded in his right eye for now. One clone comes in to block Dare’s strike, the real Ren uses his lower position on the ground to put his blade up against Dare’s hamstring, and the second clone puts the tip of his blade on Dare’s neck.

[R8] Dare is knocked back by his use of Lifeless as Cold Ashes and gets sliced on his lower leg as a result. He tosses another kunai with an explosive tag into the group of Ren + clones and keeps his blade ready.

The question being asked:

Does Lifeless as Cold Ashes cause an explosive blast that would knock Dare back any significant amount? If so, is Ren knocked flat to the ground as a result?

NAME: Katon: Shikai [Fire Style: As Lifeless as Cold Ashes]
CHAKRA USAGE: Very Low
CLASSIFICATION: Ninjutsu
ELEMENT: Katon
HANDSEALS: 0
DESCRIPTION:
Without the use of hand-seals, the user will form a collection of burning ash in their hand and throw it at high speeds. Upon contact with a solid object, the ash will explode into a small (one meter in diameter) of burning hot ash. It can cause minor burns and cause intermediate damage to eyes and respiratory system. A clean hit blinding a person until they are able to receive medical attention. Alternatively it can be used to ignite flammable objects or set off traps. The jutsu can be used in quick succession but is not overly lethal.

This is a very low lost C-rank technique that requires no handseals and is capable of delivering minor surface burns as well as moderate damage to the eyes and respiratory system. For this to also be delivering a concussive force is doing too much for a C-rank, especially for one of this level of cost and ease to perform. I believe that the technique is just poorly worded, and the phrase "the ash will explode into a small (one meter in diameter) of burning hot ash” is referring to the expansion of the ash into a larger surface area, not indicating that the ash is exploding in the same way as an explosive tag or delivering concussive force at all.

Neither Dare nor Ren should be knocked back by the use of the technique; they both should be burned, Ren more severely due to receiving the ashes face-first. I think the injuries Ren received are reasonable and appropriate for the situation at hand.

Next steps:

Dare’s post should be edited to reflect the battlemod review: he is not being forcefully knocked back when the technique goes off, leaving him still standing in place as the clones move in and Ren tries to set up his hamstring. After Dare’s edits are done, Ren can then post and the fight can proceed as normal.

Thank you for doing business with TACTICIAN INC.! :Yay:

2/28/24 edit: hi lovelies i have a mea culpa to confess--just had the chance to read over Pup's edits and i realized that i neglected to clearly state Ren's positioning because i thought it was understood.

Ren is kneeling (on one knee, is my understanding) in rotation 7 after he "tumbles down and to the left." the language here is vague but his actions after the fact make his positioning clear--if he's on his back he would not have the reach to get to Dare's hamstring, and if he's prone on his front then he would be stuck awkwardly superman-posing and wouldn't have the leverage to make such a threat meaningful.

when i stated in my BM post that "Ren uses his lower position on the ground to put his blade up against Dare's hamstring," my understanding of that was that Ren was kneeling, and i should have made that explicitly clear!! i'm very sorry for the error.

with that said, if Dare is bringing his sword back down to try to make an equivalent threat against Ren, then the most mechanically sensible way for that to work is for Dare's sword to be up against the side of Ren's neck--when Ren is kneeling he and Dare are roughly the same height, so the positioning isn't really viable for Dare to be putting the tip up against Ren's chest in such close quarters.

(that said, at this point if the boys are putting live steel up against sensitive fleshy bits and that is not reconciled with distance, that's enough reason for a proctor to intervene and call the match--observers aren't mind readers, and no one watching this exchange happen with their eyeballs is going to know that Ren isn't intending to just slice Dare's throat, or vice versa.)

LAIKA OF THQ

last edit by hirana kizumi on Feb 29, 2024 1:48:19 GMT -5
tactician has written 452 posts
CHUUNIN EXAMS | ROUND 3 | FIGHT 2 | REN VS. DAREDEMOFeb 29, 2024 3:21:34 GMT -5
Ishikawa Ren
Do every act as though it were the last.
Ishikawa Ren Avatar
groupRain Shinobi
age 22 years old birthday November 23rd rank Chuunin occupation Lord's Assistant
     Ren's first clone, who'd blocked Daredemo's earlier horizontal slash at Ren's wrist with an upside-down, vertical block, felt the resistance cease as his opponent flipped his grip and started to drive his blade down towards the real Ren below - keeping his gaze locked on him, the most helpless of the three. A mistake.

Hand still bracing the tip, which was facing down, and leg now in-between Dare's legs, the clone simply used leverage to drive his sword up at Daredemo's now-exposed wrist. But Ren - and his clones - had no intent to kill. Mid-movement, the clone flipped the sword so the flat of the blade hit Daredemo's skin. With the blade now underneath Daredemo's arm, he pushed it up and out of reach of the real Ren.

At the same time, he hooked his right leg around Daredemo's left and attempted to sweep him. The other clone, his katana tip on Daredemo's neck, used his left arm to shove the enemy's chest backwards at the the same time. The combination of a lower pull and an upper shove from two Rens was enough - along with the blade at the back of his right leg - to flip Daredemo onto his back. Just as he flipped, Ren slashed his blade through the back of his right knee - cutting deep, severing hamstrings and the rear ligaments.

The first clone grabbed at Dare's right wrist to restrain him. The second placed a foot on his left arm, sword hovering over Daredemo's chest. Ren, his sword now stuck in the bloody ruin of Daredemo's leg, leaned forward in his kneel to overlook the Konoha Shinobi. "Seems. You'll need those ten years." he said with a smile, eyes lightly shut.

| 283 words
Phantasm has written 210 posts
CHUUNIN EXAMS | ROUND 3 | FIGHT 2 | REN VS. DAREDEMOMar 3, 2024 3:57:36 GMT -5
hirana kizumi
death before dishonor.
hirana kizumi Avatar
groupCloud Shinobi
age 37 years old birthday october 13 rank jounin occupation raikage

The proctors moved quickly—in the breath after Ren’s blade sliced through Daredemo’s hamstring, two kunai came flying to discorporate the two shadow clones, eliminating the potential threat while the proctor herself quickly interceded into the boys’ personal space.

”And the winner is… Ishikawa Ren!” the announcer called, to a very mixed reaction from the crowd—a cacophony of cheers and boos ripping through the spectators in discordant unison. Medics rushed in; Ren’s sword was gingerly removed from Dare’s leg and Dare was taken away on a stretcher, while Ren was given his sword back and led by the hand in Dare’s wake.

Ren’s eyes were healed with the optical repair technique, while the tendons and muscles of Dare’s leg were carefully mended with mystical palm—the minor injuries and surface burns that both boys had accrued were left alone in favor of tending to their more severe, potentially life-endangering injuries. After some ten minutes, they were each allowed to return to the spectator stand, in time to see the third fight and all the fights to follow.

[+1 VICTORY TO ISHIKAWA REN]
[+1 REALLY DOPE SCAR TO DAREDEMO]

LAIKA OF THQ

tactician has written 452 posts