compose a reply
medical spec/SA rework suggestion Feb 24, 2024 19:55:21 GMT -5
hirana kizumi
death before dishonor.
hirana kizumi Avatar
groupCloud Shinobi
age 37 years old birthday october 13 rank jounin occupation raikage

hi gang it's me, NFB's number one medspec fan

this has come up a few times in recent conversation and i wanted to float the idea of reworking how the Medical SA currently works. medspec is weird because you need to have a medspec to be able to use medical ninjutsu at all, but the vast majority of mednin techniques also require a character to have a medical SA. the medical SA ultimately doesn't amount to anything more than "i know how to perform medical treatments," which feels superfluous given the necessity of the spec--there's no circumstance in which we require genjutsu users to also have a genjutsu SA that does nothing for them other than state that they know genjutsu real good. the specialized knowledge of genjutsu is implied in the spec--the same goes for every other spec that's available.

the implied requirement of being able to perform most medical ninjutsu is a medical spec, chakra control, and a medical SA, which is by far the most restrictive of any of the standard specializations.

there's also no real reason for most of the techniques that currently require a medical SA to actually need it, if we're operating under the assumption that a character who has a mednin spec and is therefore trained in treating patients and using medical techniques has working medical knowledge. i suspect that the inclusion of this requirement on most of the techniques that have it is the symptom of habit, rather than an actual concrete reason as to why someone might need medical knowledge that is a cut above to be able to perform the technique.

med techniques are generally pretty fairly balanced and reasonable in the scope of their abilities, particularly offensively, so it's not like you're getting any particularly impressive payoff for investing a spec and two SAs into being a standard medic. someone who is a tai primary with a taijutsu enhancement SA is seeing way more mechanical payoff for the same spec and SA slot than someone who is a med primary with a medical SA.

what i would ideally like to see is a re-evaluation of med techs to see whether or not they ACTUALLY need the enhanced, specialized, expert knowledge that a medical knowledge SA should imply, as well as an adjustment of the function of the medical knowledge SA. i think it would be cool if characters who DON'T have a med spec can take a medical knowledge SA to gain access to the medical ninjutsu list up to a B rank, while characters who have the spec are able to opt out of needing to dedicate a 2nd SA to perform extremely rudimentary techniques and dedicate that SA slot elsewhere.

tl;dr:
- med spec requires more mechanical investment to be playable compared to all other specs

- having a medical spec should come with the understanding that a character who has dedicated their time to medical training enough to be specialized in it should inherently know the things that a medical knowledge SA covers: anatomy, patient care, ability to perform surgery with tools instead of techniques

- if that's the case, most med techniques that currently require a medical SA should not actually require a medical SA

- my suggestion is that the medical SA should be reworked to allow characters access to the mednin tech list without a medical spec, while characters who have a medical spec can skip needing the medical SA to perform most techniques

thank you for coming to my ted talk <3

LAIKA OF THQ

tactician has written 452 posts
medical spec/SA rework suggestion Feb 24, 2024 21:41:59 GMT -5
Toff E
Nindo Goes Here: Edit Profile > Personal > Most Recent Status
Toff E Avatar
groupGlobal Moderator
age birthday rank occupation

I've been working on something incredibly similar for Fuinjutsu that is in some level of discussion right now. With that said I personally like this suggestion, its been shipped upwards for a larger staff discussion.

has written 96,183 posts

quick reply

compose a reply