Clan of One-Journey of the Blue Kunai Vol.1-

compose a reply
Clan of One-Journey of the Blue Kunai Vol.1- Mar 15, 2024 0:53:18 GMT -5
Hana Chieko
Nindo Goes Here: Edit Profile > Personal > Most Recent Status
Hana Chieko Avatar
groupGrass Shinobi
age 31 years old birthday April 15th rank Civilian occupation Black Smith/Merchant
Clan of One

Life was a reflection of choices that often came upon individuals that would change the direction in which they lived. In some cases, it was based on a conceptual belief of another, or a moral standing that had driven the decision. In other cases, it came about in the form of what experiences had developed within that individual to guide them along the path in which they walked.

Her father...had always been a man who seemed to find his path and stick to it rigidly. It had not made him a rich man, but it had made him a free man...

Considered a low class worker for the Hohei, a Kiremono. As such, there was little expectation from him and he was treated with less respect than an ant. Many shunned him, demeaned him, and saw little future for him save from being a minor laborer. It was this mindset that had placed on him for all his life, and his father's life and their father before them.

So he had done something about it....

Within the years he worked, he saved his money, took his anvil and made his own fortune. Small as it was, he had craved a life for himself and his family with what little he had and managed to begin what was now known as Hana's Smithing and Tools. He had left a life of clan and even surrendered any ties to the group by changing his name.

Though that did not stop those from the clan attempting to remind him of his place...

While a stoic man, her father had often showed signs of fatigue and declining health under the pressure of maintaining his business and often dealing with the Hohei that wished to undermine his progress. While Chieko had been unaware of just what the man had to do, she often found him sitting alone within his smithy, hammering away at one project or another.

He never spoke of just what he had to do in order to gain his freedom, and there were rumors that it had taken a part of him a great deal in order to even make so much a modest wage when he had...

Such knowledge would not be known to Chieko until after his passing...and even then...she was not prepared for just what he had actually done to give his family a chance.

"They come when you don't want em....be mindful of those that appear with smiles....their teeth are daggers..."

tag || || notes || here ||
last edit by Hana Chieko on Mar 15, 2024 23:49:28 GMT -5
Kaze has written 175 posts
Clan of One-Journey of the Blue Kunai Vol.1- Mar 15, 2024 2:32:02 GMT -5
Hana Chieko
Hana Chieko Avatar
groupGrass Shinobi
age 31 years old birthday April 15th rank Civilian occupation Black Smith/Merchant
Clan of One

So it wasn't much of a surprise when they came....smiles and all...

Chieko was younger then...having only just started managing her father's shop. Still reeling over the events that had put an end to what had promised to be a lifetime of service. In truth, being in the shop had proved to be perfect for her, and she had managed to come upon the ideas placed upon her in her childhood as a smith's daughter quite well. Yet, when the sharks seemed to smell blood, they started to circle quickly around the foundation that her father had built.

And they were merciless...

"It's reasonable to see that such a venture isn't exactly to the standards of one such as yourself...."

"Such as myself?"

Chieko had been previewed to the treatment of Kiremono before, but never directly due to her having at least some status as a shinobi. With that no longer the case, it appeared that the ideas of having respect given while earned was out the window.

"Someone who is struggling with poor business...."

The balding man would look over the shop, their eyes gazing over it like a predator and then toward the dark haired female as she upon the counter with a calm expression.

"This place...your father ensured that it was passed to you...and with your mother having passed, it is now fully within your control...a great deal of effort went into establishing it as you are no doubt aware...but your father still retained some ties to the Hohei...and made it clear that such a debt was always paid...as part of tradition..."

Raising her brow, Chieko would then allow her expression to shift before then releasing a breath.

"I have nothing against the Hohei...I simply don't know them...as my father wished it..."

"That may be...but it does not change the fact that in your blood runs that of our clan...and as such...you are indebted to us...as was your father...now...while your abilities to fully commit to it is by all means lacking...it can be paid by completed by simply parting with this place..."

"You want me to give you the shop?"
Clan of One-Journey of the Blue Kunai Vol.1- Mar 15, 2024 4:56:12 GMT -5
Hana Chieko
Hana Chieko Avatar
groupGrass Shinobi
Clan of One

"That would be presumptuous....on your part not ours....You are under the illusion that this shop actually belongs to your family...in reality...it does not..."

It was rare when someone told you a family's efforts weren't for something that benefited the family. For Chieko, hearing that this shop wasn't something that belonged to her own was far from the stories her father had told her. For years he had worked, sweat and bled for this place and the people that were willing to give him a chance. So to be told that she was presuming anything felt like an insult.

"While it is easy to think that a Kiremono is capable of establishing themselves without certain means, the truth of the matter is that your father was allowed to do so. So in a sense, his efforts were not of their own merit. So of course, this shop is not nor has it ever been your family's...but the clans..."

Chieko would narrow her eyes as she felt her fingertips tapping the counter that she sat on.

"Of course, we recognize that he did manage to provide some form of profit and it is why we are willing to take it off your hands with a small gift...a boon to show that the Hohei appreciated his efforts...."

"Why do you even want it if you don't think it makes enough?"

The bald man would hold a calm expression before then clicking his tongue.

"Your questioning is rather rude before such a kind offer....if it were any other higher ranking member they would simply take it...Kiremono are not valued...nor is anything that they do...so naturally it would prove only right to take what could never possibly prove of any real usage to them..."

There was only so much even Chieko was willing to take. Training or not, she wasn't able to stomach this man calling her nothing for much longer.

"At any rate....this...shop...holds more value as a possible property that could be used for something else or perhaps even run by someone with far more experience...a Kachi perhaps....but in truth...the likely outcome is that it will be torn down...given the conditions and smell..."
Clan of One-Journey of the Blue Kunai Vol.1- Mar 15, 2024 5:37:31 GMT -5
Hana Chieko
Hana Chieko Avatar
groupGrass Shinobi
Clan of One

As the young woman watched the man cover his mouth with a cloth, perhaps even blowing his nose in an effort to remove whatever stench seemed to waver around him, Chieko would look down as she briefly thought about this.

She wasn't exactly prepared for all of this. Sure, she'd been around the business for some time. Even gotten into the habit of making her own gear.

While she wanted to help and support this place, it wasn't as if she had to. If anything, this place was something that tied her down, and she was free now to do whatever she wanted. She wasn't reliant on it, but it was something that she had been gifted.

All that said, it was odd that they seemed so concerned with it being in existence that they would want it. After all, the Hohei were one of the largest clans in the village next to the Hono. It was almost a waste of money for them to want this place or even go so far as to try and take it. So why was it so important?

"This...boon....how much were you planning on giving me for this place?"

As the Inner Minister began to draw from his robe, he'd hold out a small bag as he placed it down upon the counter. Looking at it, the female would blink for a moment. It was small...barely anything seemed in it. Taking it into her hand, she'd shake it briefly before hearing the amount.

"It's 50,000 ryo....a fair trade considering this place's value being so limited and the fact that it is to be torn down...a burden removed as it were from your shoulders...one might be grateful to gain such a gift from a clan that they have shunned..."

Chieko would remain silent for a moment.

She had given up the life of a shinobi and had returned home to find her father dying and her mother sick enough to soon follow. He had put his heart and soul into this place and they saw it's worth only to be the sum of 50,000 ryo...

"This is what the clan believes this place is worth?"

A small smirk crossed her lips as she continued to look down, taking the small sack into her hands before then wiping it back toward the man with the aim of a sniper. It hit directly against the man's heart, which would have been fatal had it been a kunai.

"Keep your money....I'm not giving you this place...THIS WAS MY FATHER'S DREAM!"

In saying this, the man would seem to shuffle a bit as he was almost shocked at her refusal.

"What foolishness is this!? You refuse to take such a gift?! The clan was willing to part you of this burden and even pay to do so! You understand that such a kindness does not need to be extended to a mere Kiremono!!"

"Call me that again and I'll drag ya out of here by your bald head! I AM NOT SOME ANT YOU CAN COMMAND!"
Clan of One-Journey of the Blue Kunai Vol.1- Mar 15, 2024 7:03:13 GMT -5
Hana Chieko
Hana Chieko Avatar
groupGrass Shinobi
Clan of One

The Minister, appalled by such behavior coming from a Kiremono, seemed to pick up the sack as he scoffed with a narrowed gaze.

"It does not matter! It was a gesture...nothing more....of ill gotten kindness no doubt...This place is already ours...you hold no claim over it..."

Chieko would push herself from the counter as she began to approach with clear annoyance on her face, enough so that the much taller man would begin to shuffle toward the door.

"Get out!"

With that, the man would remove himself in a huff, causing the young woman to watch him go from behind her window. His departure was quick, but it was already clear that she had made a scene.

As nightfall approached, the smith would lean against the outside surface of the structure, a upset expression holding her face.

"How the hell am I gonna do this?"

The fact that she had spat in the face of a representative of the Hohei would likely not go unanswered. More than that, she was pretty sure that their influence within the village was more than enough to get them favor from the Damiyo and probably even the Kusa Lord.

She could reach out to Chisai, but in doing that she'd owe her and the Hono. The place would still be under some clan's debt and she didn't want that either. This was her family's shop, and it didn't belong to anyone but her family. She'd never let it go....to anyone...

But how would she be able to protect it from one of the largest clans in the Grass Country?
Clan of One-Journey of the Blue Kunai Vol.1- Mar 15, 2024 23:46:05 GMT -5
Hana Chieko
Hana Chieko Avatar
groupGrass Shinobi
Clan of One

Debt.....it always came down to debt....

As the young woman considered this factor, it soon came to her just what she could do. It was partially out of an business mindset, but perhaps it would be enough...it had to be...

So as it were, the next day she made her march to the Clan Compound of the Hohei.

It was huge, much like a pagoda within a miniature town. It certainly held signs of stature in every aspect that she could see. From it's members to it's structures as the homes themselves seemed to hold some level of status. It was a wonder how her family had managed to keep itself so distant from it, but then her father had managed to appear isolated from such roots.

But maybe not far enough...

Maybe it wasn't possible for him to fully break away from the Hohei...from being a Kiremono...but he had done enough so that it was still as much a mystery to her just how such a clan that treated it's lowest members with such disregard could exist.

Yet Chieko wasn't here to change the thinking of the clan. She just wanted them off her back and to ensure that they never came to her place of business or threatened to take it again.

Hence, she soon found herself face to face with the Clan head...
Clan of One-Journey of the Blue Kunai Vol.1- Mar 16, 2024 0:15:32 GMT -5
Hana Chieko
Hana Chieko Avatar
groupGrass Shinobi
Clan of One

If not for the fact that Chieko had already mentally prepared herself for the lack of consideration in regards to the Clan head seeing her, she'd have felt as if it were a waste of time doing so. Despite what she may have been, to them she was no more important than an insect. As such, why would they take anything that she might wish to discuss seriously? Why even bother seeing her at all?

These were thoughts that lingered in her mind as she waited outside the main hall of the Compound, her expression calm as she sat, her mind racing. It was this manner of disrespect that she hated about this place, and previewed behaviors were one thing as she didn't live here. It was probably far worse if you did. So of course meeting with the individual that headed this clan would be much of the time spent in wait. A tactic of discouragement and likely used for those that were of little value in their eyes.

But Chieko didn't leave, nor did she show the level of discontent she felt at their treatment of her.

As others were served to at least the honor of tea, she was left with no little than a chair and the view glance of acknowledgement of her being there.

Being in customer service, Chieko could tell a fake smile from a genuine one....

Hours would pass...and as many others passed over her to gain an audience, she was forced to wait until it came near the end of the day....

But finally....the door would be opened to her, allowing the smith access to the Clan head of the Hohei.
Clan of One-Journey of the Blue Kunai Vol.1- Mar 16, 2024 1:41:17 GMT -5
Hana Chieko
Hana Chieko Avatar
groupGrass Shinobi
Clan of One

What awaited her within the hall was nothing out of the ordinary....

Chieko had stood before lords before in her time of service. Most of which in the role of security or simply a messenger.

As a civilian, it was far different as any attempt at possible influence was limited because to those in power, you held only as much importance as what you could offer.

In looking at the long bearded man and the familiar face of the balding minister, Chieko would release a breath as she entered the room and soon found herself standing before the two.

"Ah...Hohei Chieko....or is it Hana?"

The man would ask this before seeming to quickly dismiss the question as he continued.

"I have heard of your father's passing and that of your mother. While I never met either personally, I am aware of the work he had done for the village and to lose a member of the clan is always sad. Yet, I also know that he was a man who wished to leave clan affairs behind them...."

Chieko would remain silent as she allowed the leader to speak, though it was clear he was far more aware of the situation than she had thought. Or at least, he appeared to show more respect that the minister.

"That being the case, I was made aware that there was an arrangement created in his departure to allow for his isolation and the separation from the Hohei, to which has not been repaid in full...in it...it was seen to that you were given a gift for the shop's return to the clan....a gift that was...from what I am told...dismissed in a rather...aggressive manner..."

With the older man gesturing to the side, he'd then lean forward in his seat, calmly looking her over.

"You have never lived among us....and so it is understandable that you not be aware of the gravity in which such an insult creates for those considered over you....by right alone....you should be punished and the shop taken in spite of our gesture...but...I am aware of your time in service to the village as a kunoichi...and it allows for another attempt at a peaceful resolution to all this..."

That said, the Clan head would then gesture for the minister to stand before Chieko, prompting him to speak.

"You may do so by apologizing to Kyouki...and asking forgiveness....as to avoid further conflict in terms light of your actions..."

Chieko would raise her brow before looking at Kyouki and then shifting her gaze to the old man.

"No....I didn't come here to apologize...I cam here to pay the debt owed by my father...."
last edit by Hana Chieko on Mar 18, 2024 0:16:45 GMT -5
Clan of One-Journey of the Blue Kunai Vol.1- Mar 18, 2024 0:30:19 GMT -5
Hana Chieko
Hana Chieko Avatar
groupGrass Shinobi
Clan of One

There was a clear level of surprise in the statement, leading to both men staring at the young female with a calm demeanor about them. Of course, this was soon stopped by the old clan lead speaking as he stroked his beard.

"There must be some mistake...or rather a misunderstanding....this is not a matter that can be negotiated...by rite of clan...the shop belongs to the Hohei...the gift was nothing more than a gesture..."

"But from what your minister stated...the value of the shop itself is worth no more than 50,000 ryo...that said...in me paying that amount...you would not lose anything by it. Just a building...and only gain what the shop was worth to begin with..."

The clan leader heard this, his eyes closed before the minister began to speak.

"My lord....the fact that this girl speaks of paying for the building is hardly worth noting...by rite it should be possessed and allowed into the hands of someone far better and capable..."

Despite the insult, Chieko would remain silent as she could see from the expression of the older man that he was considering her words more than that of his companion. Which meant, there was deal in the making.

"To my understanding...the shop did not gain much business within the time your father ran it and even less so now that it is in your hands....along with this..you are no longer in service to the village, so there is no extra flow of profit being gained save for your efforts within the shop....how would you come about paying this amount?"

It was a fair question, and one that would bring anyone pause as Chieko would hold a blank expression. Of course, she could only do so for so long before having lost the faith of the man before her.

"I will create a weapon that will impress the Damiyo and sell it to them...."

Clan of One-Journey of the Blue Kunai Vol.1- Mar 18, 2024 3:23:29 GMT -5
Hana Chieko
Hana Chieko Avatar
groupGrass Shinobi
Clan of One

Crafting a weapon that would impress the reigning Damiyo....

It was a bold claim, and one that even Chieko had a hard time believing came from her mouth. But, at this point, she knew that she had to say something in order to keep the interest of the Clan head. If nothing else, allow for just the slim possibility.

Though it seemed that even the minister had a hard take taking such a thing seriously.

"A weapon that would impress the Damiyo!? From a Kiremono!? My lord, you can clearly see that this is a waste of time! Such a thing coming from one of such low standards is ridiculous!"

In hearing this, the Lord would lean back into his seat, looking the girl over before then nodding his head.

"Indeed....Kiremono are known for being useless and barely able to wield a weapon....of course...this one has a history of doing so....many things that are said about such individuals are stated, but not proven true..."

It was enough of a comment to stop the laughter from the minister, prompting them to return to a stature of attention.

"You say that you will create a weapon that will impress the Damiyo...and that this will prompt their response to buy it from you?"

Chieko would nod as she held a serious expression on her face.

The Clan leader would smile to himself, his hand resting on his lap before then speaking once more.

"Should you do this...it would certainly give favor to the Hohei and also solve the matter of ownership of the shop....but...what if you are unable to accomplish this?"

"If I can't, then I will submit myself to the service of the Hohei...."

Servitude....that was the outcome of failure....

"My father was indebted to this clan...but I'm not...so...naturally...if I do not have a shop to run...or anything really to provide for myself...I would have to find something else to do....I can see no other choice in the matter than to return to the Clan that was my father's home...and I would also be able to provide for it in any way it wishes of me..."

The minister would look to the smith, a lingering eyes clearly considering more than just her washing dishes. Though the Clan leader seemed to be more interested in the fact that she was willing to surrender a freedom given to her by her father's actions, a freedom without being considered a Kiremono, in order to ensure that her family's shop remained just that.

"Hmmm...you would surrender a right paid for you...just to be keep your family's shop? A bold gesture...ha ha...I like it..."

In saying this, the man would then wave his hand to the side.

"So be it....I will accept your agreement....you will create a weapon and attempt to sell it to pay the value of the shop. If you fail...you are to work for the Clan...forever...understood?"

This was the wager....if she didn't follow through she'd be giving up her life....but if she didn't do anything, she'd lose everything her father built.

"Agreed...."

"You have a week..I am interested to see what you create....Hohei Chieko...."

Narrowing her eyes, she'd see the smirk on the man's face as she nodded her head and prepared to depart.

With her leaving the hall, her hand rested against her chest.

The 18 year old Chieko would make a weapon for a king....or else she'd lose her freedom forever....no pressure...

-To be Continued/End Thread-