Old Books, New Leaves [Izusa & Hinoe]

compose a reply
Old Books, New Leaves [Izusa & Hinoe]Mar 25, 2024 4:00:48 GMT -5
Itagaki Mitsumi
I won't be weak. Never again.
Itagaki Mitsumi Avatar
groupCloud Shinobi
age 17 years old birthday May 2nd rank Student occupation Student
Despite how peaceful the surroundings were,Mitsumi was feeling overwhelmed. There was... green. Green everywhere. There was vegetation in Kaminari no Kuni, of course, but not like this. Not around Kumogakure no Sato, at least. There was also the fact that the last time she had set out with Jokyu, it had been the furthest she had been from home. How far would a third excursion take her

It was a bit awkward. Considering what had happened on their last outing, that was to be expected. Fortunately for her, the night terrors left her mostly alone during the journey. Mostly. It felt like luck, not strength.

Eventually, the journey brought her through the gates of Konohagakure no Sato. Some things were familiar. The shinobi posted on the walls and gates. The bare rock of the mountain the village was built against. But just as many things weren't. The fact that pretty much every building stood on its own, and wasn't carved into the rock. The amount of greenery, and the wideness of the streets. The fact that, despite those wide streets, it felt cramped. There were people. So many people. Kumogakure could feel hollow at times, the population still a long way from properly recovering.

Mitsumi had come dressed for training and schooling, but she was glad she had brought her hat, as she pulled down the brim, head down as she followed Jokyu's lead towards the village's academy. The noise of the crowd pressed in on her, and she felt that choking feeling of claustrophobia creep up her spine. Fortunately, the village was still a village, and it didn't take her long to arrive at the academy.

It was... quaint. And judging by those she saw around it, the average age of the students was much, much lower than it was in Kumogakure. She felt even more out of place than before, and she pressed her lips together, fidgeting with her jacket. Maybe volunteering herself for this short-term exchange had been a bad idea.

"Itagaki-kun," Jokyu said softly. The visually impaired hunter didn't look at Mitsumi, but she could swear she felt his Sensory ninjutsu focus on her. "Remember - you are here to learn, but you also have much to offer. You'll do Kumogakure proud." Gentle encouragement, and sensitive to Mitsumi's unfortunate foibles. It was both appreciated and nettling. She nodded, and exhaled out a breath she hadn't realized she was holding.
"Alright, Jokyu-sensei. I'll do my best." Mitsumi set her jaw, and strode forward.

After navigating the brief paperwork along with Jokyu, and dispensing with formalities, she was directed to a classroom, where there was apparently a teacher, and a student that was like her, in a few ways. Old for a student, and approaching graduation. Perhaps they were hoping to spark a friendship between young kunoichi to further strengthen the diplomatic ties between the villages. Or maybe they were compartmentalizing the problem children. Whatever the case, she was going to have to tackle it alone, Jokyu having other business in the country.

Mitsumi found the indicated door, and took a long moment to straighten out her clothes, mess with hair, and brace herself. New people in a new land. Exciting and terrifying in equal measure.

Mitsumi slid open the door. "U-Uchiha-sensei?" Mitsumi cringed. Her voice faltered. Already.
Boats has written 76 posts
Old Books, New Leaves [Izusa & Hinoe]Mar 26, 2024 19:48:15 GMT -5
Hyuuga Hinoe
Nanakorobi yaoki!
Hyuuga Hinoe Avatar
groupLeaf Shinobi
age 18 years old birthday May 5th, 1005 rank Academy Student occupation Student
One of the disadvantages of being an older student was that one stuck out like a sore thumb. This was one of the major reasons Hinoe really wanted to graduate. It was quite difficult to make any proper connections with the kids in the Academy, because for the age cohort of Konoha's shinobi academy, a six to eight year difference in age was two entire worlds apart. It didn't help that Hinoe was introverted, though she was great at hiding her shyness. It just made her seem much less approachable.

Maybe that was a good thing, in a sense. It meant that she had quite a bit of time alone. And while being alone wasn't always good, solitude helped one thing, clarify their thoughts and intents. Solitude like this present moment. Hinoe knew, though, that the solitude of the present was not going to last long. She had been picked to partake in some special class with a temporary transfer student from Kumogakure. Turned out the student was around her age as well, which factored greatly in Hinoe being chosen. Just another perk of being an older student.

The only good news, as far as Hinoe was concerned, was that the class would be taught by a teacher who was her favorite quite familiar to her. Still, she would prefer that this meeting was over as soon as possible. Meeting new people was more difficult than she made it seem. The Hyuuga yawned and stretched languidly, just as the door slid open, forcing her to perk up and hope her yawn had not been noticed.

It was not Izusa; the newcomer was seeking him as well. Of course, without being told, Hinoe quickly put two and two together. This was the student she was supposed to take the lesson with. The Hyuuga almost immediately took note of her recoiling demeanor. Another socially awkward person. There was a moment of silence. "Oh crap! I'm freaking her out with my unfriendly face, I'm sure!" Hinoe worried in alarm, though her face remained placid. Most Hyuuga had 'resting bitch faces' that made them look like they wanted to slap you, and Hinoe was not sure she was any different. "She's a stranger. I have to make her comfortable."

It was clear that this was a very self-conscious person, a trait likely exacerbated by whatever unfortunate incident was responsible for the burn scars on her face. Trying not to seem like she was staring at the newcomer's scars, Hinoe smiled and rose. "I'm waiting for Uchiha-sensei as well. I am Hyuuga Hinoe, but please DO NOT call me Hyuuga-san. Hajimemashite." A light but polite bow followed. "Welcome to Konohagakure."

|
Ronin has written 39 posts
Old Books, New Leaves [Izusa & Hinoe]Mar 27, 2024 17:32:26 GMT -5
Uchiha Izusa
Duty. Always.
Uchiha Izusa Avatar
groupLeaf Shinobi
age 20 years old birthday January 15 rank Chūnin occupation Academy Instructor

When the birds do sing

Since today was his day off, he decided to visit an old friend of his first thing in the morning.

Bringing with a bouquet of daisies— the boy's favorite, to leave as a gift. "Satoji." He said aloud, his gaze locked downwards on an old stone marker as he knelt there in the grass. "Sarutobi-sensei is well... Ayame, too." An update.

In hopes of making his squadmate's rest that much more peaceful. The instructor closed his eyes, whispered a word of silent prayer, then slowly rose to his feet. "I have to be getting back, now..." It had already been hours... and though he had no classes, there was still work to be done. Masked or otherwise. "...you are missed." A parting word...

Then he turned and began to make his way towards the academy, to collect some paperwork. As he walked, he felt a slight pang in his chest. Some long-repressed emotion stirring where so often there was none. Per usual, he smothered it. But try as he might, he couldn't manage his usual faux smile the entire way back. Too preoccupied. Upon arriving, he greeted some of the other faculty members as he navigated the academy halls to his classroom. Without his leaf green haori or hitai-ate on his brow, he looked like a guest here, but his peers and students knew him well enough. Somewhere along the way he'd found his smile again, though it was lacking its usual refinement.

And then, when he noticed the door to his classroom open, he raised an eyebrow. "A visitor?" He thought, hearing a formal version of his name being spoken of. He stepped through the portal to see... "Hinoe-chan?" Surprise, half-genuine, on his face. The instructor's gaze promptly turned to the other present— an unfamiliar face. "And..." A moment of confusion, then, it clicked. "Oh dear..." He was supposed to be instructing the exchange student today.

Swiftly he shuffled towards his desk, rummaging through one of the drawers to find a folder there and flipping it open to the first page. "...Itagaki-chan!" He said, glancing at the girl. "Of course, haha..." A hand rose to his mouth as he cleared his throat, then continued. "Yes, as Hinoe-chan said— welcome to Konohagakure no Sato!" The instructor, though appearing frazzled, still managed to smile as he closed his eyes. "We're excited to have you." It was true, as these types of arrangements were rare. "How did I forget?" Usually, and in spite of his seeming lackadaisical demeanor, he was on top of things. Maybe it was all of the changes that had gone on recently. Or just maybe...

Stress was starting to get to him. He still remembered his manners, however, and stood up from his hunched-over position to introduce himself. "I'm Uchiha Izusa, one of the instructors here." He began. "Izusa-sensei, if you need. Uchiha-sensei is... too formal." For his liking, anyway. "Apologies for the tardiness, I was... busy." The instructor admitted, his eyes still shut so as not to give anything away. "Visiting an old comrade." Slowly, his composure was returning, and he took the folder in hand, then opened his lids to give it another look. A brief summary of her skills.

Both intriguing and notably absent of any sensitive information. "Just what I'd expect." He thought. "Your instructors speak highly of you." Izusa continued on, poring over the report's details. "Tell me a bit about your training, so far."

Yenga has written 122 posts
Old Books, New Leaves [Izusa & Hinoe]Mar 27, 2024 22:06:40 GMT -5
Itagaki Mitsumi
Itagaki Mitsumi Avatar
groupCloud Shinobi
Mitsumi found herself staring at the other student - or her eyes, to be exact. Making eye contact wasn't one of her strengths, but she had never seen eyes like that before. They reminded her a little of Jokyu's, but they seemed sharper, not dulled by injury or illness. Mitsumi shook herself out of it, fidgeting with her clothes before dipping her head low in a bow.
"Ha-Hajimemashite, Hyu- Ah... Hinoe... san," She could feel red on her face as she straightened. Meeting new people was always stressful, and her tongue felt leaden and clumsy. Her gaze remained lowered, only glancing up to look at her for fractions of a second. It was exactly the kind of impression she did not want to make.

Hinoe's expression was intense. She looked confident, assured, in control. Mitsumi tried to crush the ember of jealousy smouldering in her chest.

"I'm-" She stopped herself, interrupted by the one she had been sent here to meet in the first place. Mitsumi started, and turned to face him, bowing again hastily. They seemed rather... familiar here. Maybe that came with the village being more populated? Or maybe she was just too used to keeping everyone at arms' length.

"It's alright, um... I-Izusa-sensei. I'm the one giving you more work, so..." Calling people by their given name on first meeting still struck her as odd, but she was the guest here. Best to adapt. "I'm Itagaki Mitsumi, of Kumogakure no Sato. I'll be in your care," Mitsumi bowed again, low enough to bring her torso parallel to the ground. She straightened, then tugged her fringe back over her face, and adjusted her hat as Izusa made his request.

"I've studied the fundamentals. I think the basic curriculum is largely the same, from what I've read. As for more, ah... directed training..." Mitsumi trailed off, taking a breath. There was one chapter of her training that she had to skip. At least for now. "I don't have a lot of chakra, so I've been focusing on learning how to use what I have well. And I've been developing an understanding of sensory ninjutsu. And, ah... stamina training." She had run more in the last few weeks than the rest of her life combined. "There's a technique that I'm going to learn, so I need to get ready for it."

Beyond that, she wasn't sure what to say. So many roads were open to her, but she had yet to walk down any of them.
last edit by Itagaki Mitsumi on Mar 29, 2024 22:24:38 GMT -5
Old Books, New Leaves [Izusa & Hinoe]Mar 29, 2024 21:17:53 GMT -5
Hyuuga Hinoe
Nanakorobi yaoki!
Hyuuga Hinoe Avatar
groupLeaf Shinobi
Hinoe observed that the other girl stared at her eyes; it was something she was used to by now. Even in Konoha, where the Byakugan was indigenous to, people still considered it a curiosity, and Hinoe had seen many of her own people give her curious looks. She didn't mind, though. It wasn't a thing to be ashamed of. In a way, she was similar to, yet quite different from this newcomer. They both had something immediately visually curious about them, but while Hinoe was proud of her eyes, it was clear that the other girl was quite conscious of her scars.

"I must be careful not to make her feel any more uncomfortable than she presently is..." Hinoe thought, as the other girl returned her greeting. Introductions would have to wait, though, as the door slid open, and Izusa peeked in, looking surprised to see Hinoe. A smile appeared on the Hyuuga's face, but disappeared almost immediately after, replaced with her signature deadpan, spiced with a little curiosity. He seemed confused to see them; had he forgotten? Seeing Izusa mildly flustered was rare. Hinoe found it cute.

She realized too late that her expression had mellowed into an affectionate smile, which was immediately replaced again by the deadpan shield. "Idiot girl!" she silently chided herself. "Do you want to disgrace yourself and the village in front of a visitor? Acting so shamelessly...." Meanwhile, she listened to Mitsumi's words as though she weren't berating herself internally. With all the things the Kumogakure girl had stated, Hinoe felt like she had not really been doing much in the Academy, asides the basics. She suddenly felt inferior to Mitsumi.

"Resting Bitch Face, don't fail me now...."

|
Old Books, New Leaves [Izusa & Hinoe]Apr 5, 2024 19:45:25 GMT -5
Uchiha Izusa
Duty. Always.
Uchiha Izusa Avatar
groupLeaf Shinobi

On every old tree

Upon hearing the student speak of extra work, he threw up a hand, closed his eyes, and shook his head. "Not at all."

The instructor said in regards to her giving him more work. "I'm happy to help facilitate any cooperation between our villages." It seemed a bit like a canned response, but it was the truth. And though the smile he wore was false...

Itagaki Mitsumi seemed like a sincere student, and it was his duty to teach. Izusa reopened his eyes, shifting his gaze between the girl and the page as she explained her training. "Fundamentals," he repeated with a chuckle. "My kids complain about me harping on them all the time, but they're important." The instructor nodded, shooting a wry glance towards Hinoe just in time to see her smile, then instantly flatten out her expression. "Hm?" he thought.

Wondering briefly if his own mild distress had seemed unbecoming of an instructor. "It's probably fine." If anything, some forgetfulness paled in comparison to his sloppy handwriting and the damage that seemed to ensue to academy property during his classes. "If it comes down to it, I can take a little reprimanding." Nothing new there. though he did still want to make a good impression. "Sensor-nin are quite valuable— good." Izusa said with a nod, turning back to the page to peruse the last bit of information there. Mitsumi spoke of learning some a jutsu and he paused. "Oh?"

A raise of his eyebrow and a glance at the girl later, and the beginnings of an idea were taking hold. Izusa shifted his gaze to the Hyūga. "Hinoe-chan here is one of our most promising students," he said, his smile still holding. "I think between the three of us, we can help with this technique of yours." He turned his eyes back to Mitsumi, nodded encouragingly, then glanced back to Hinoe. They'd been practicing a lot together lately due to her rather unique circumstances, so he thought it would do well to have her train with someone else for a change. "What do you say?" 

Izusa asked, closing the folder in his hands and taking up a pen from his desk in preparation. "Are you up to help a fellow student with her training?" Assuming everyone was in agreement, he would gesture for them both to follow as he exited the room. Taking his time leading their little group to give an impromptu tour of the facilities. The instructor pointed out key areas of interest, including their gymnasiums, faculty rooms, the Head Instructor's office, and of course the many training grounds outside of the building as they exited. "The weather's nicer, lately." he mused, glancing over his shoulder at the students. "So I figured we can learn out here." Eventually he came to a halt.

In the center of one of their larger training grounds, complete with a well-maintained dirt square for sparring, practice equipment that a previous class had utilized, and surrounded by wooden, person-sized dummies. One of which had a fixed-blade Fūma Shuriken lodged deep in its chest. "Really?" he muttered with a deep sigh. "...again?"

The instructor placed the folder in the inside pocket of his haori for now, shaking his head as he moved over to grasp the large throwing star. "Students aren't even supposed to have access to these..." Another murmured word as he began to try and wriggle it free of its wooden tombe. "Now," he said, grunting a bit in exertion. "What's this technique you've been trying to learn, Itagaki-chan?" The shuriken didn't budge, and his initial reaction was a frown.

Renewing his efforts as he listened for the girl's reply. "It was probably Kaneda, again..."

Old Books, New Leaves [Izusa & Hinoe]Apr 6, 2024 4:34:31 GMT -5
Itagaki Mitsumi
Itagaki Mitsumi Avatar
groupCloud Shinobi
This was a little awkward. Which wasn't new, but this was a new awkwardness. She had chosen the sensory ability precisely because it was in demand, and didn't require any knowledge or ability restricted to the clans. And it exploited a knack she had developed on her own.

Mitsumi followed her new teacher outside, stealing glances at her fellow student, Izusa, and the surrounds. Some things were familiar, at least. The training grounds were, at least. Though the fuuma shuriken was new. Genin who learned how to use such things had to learn sometime, she supposed...

"It's, uh..." Mitsumi scratched her neck, gaze wandering. "It's... a hijutsu. I-I don't know it yet." Mitsumi was clearly embarrassed at the admission, feeling a little foolish. Once she returned from this short-term exchange, she was going to enter the Tetsumaki compound, and train hard. Undergo the ritual needed to become a Tetsumaki, and then master the Raijintai. As she was, now... she couldn't even begin to use it. But she did have some ideas.

"Though... I don't know how good I'll be with it, once I learn it. It's, uh... connected to raiton." Mitsumi wasn't sure how much to say. How known were the Tetsumaki's abilities outside of Kumogakure? Likely fairly famous, but she would speak in vagaries for now. Mitsumi took a breath, and steeled herself. "I-I'm sure Hinoe-s-san has things she wished to practice as well, but... I was wondering if there was some way to incorporate wires, or chains, without things becoming too bulky. Something flexible and conductive." Shirai could move through the air as pure electricity, but that seemed like a difficult technique. "I'd like to learn how to throw a kunai, or a shuriken, or something, with a wire attached... while keeping hold of the wire. Without the wire getting tangled, either. It's... only an idea at the moment. Are you aware of any techniques like that Izusa-sensei? Hinoe-san?"

She glanced at each of them, then shuffled her feet. "I-I also need more c-combat experience. If that's not workable."
last edit by Itagaki Mitsumi on Apr 7, 2024 1:22:48 GMT -5
Old Books, New Leaves [Izusa & Hinoe]Apr 7, 2024 0:51:16 GMT -5
Hyuuga Hinoe
Nanakorobi yaoki!
Hyuuga Hinoe Avatar
groupLeaf Shinobi
Hinoe was quite surprised to hear Izusa call her one of the Academy's most promising students. Most of the other teachers did not have a problem with her, but Hinoe's reputation as a problematic member of her clan had traveled around a few circles, and adding to the fact that she was much later than the average Academy student, as far as progress was concerned, 'most promising' was not an adjective many would use to describe Hinoe, and of that she was aware. And here, not just any instructor, but Izusa himself, had commended her so. Was he just trying to be nice, or did he believe that? Whatever the case, Hinoe felt her cheeks slightly color at the praise.

"Well, that's certainly a unique characterization, Izusa-sensei," she replied, "but yes, I shall be most delighted to help Mitsumi-chan out with whatever training she desires, if I can." As Izusa led the girls out of the classroom, Hinoe could tell Mitsumi was stealing glances at her, but she pretended not to notice, hoping that her expression was a cheerful calm. It wasn't, unfortunately. What Hinoe's face was was her well-practiced 'wooden' face, the devoid-of-expression-with-a-slight-tinge-of-annoyance that she often put on for her clan members when they tried to taunt her for her apparently inferior condition. It had come to be something she reflexively used when in an uncomfortable situation. Perhaps if Izusa had not praised her so recently, she might have not felt so awkward. But it was a sort of pleasant awkwardness, she had to admit.

"Oh, very few Academy students know hijutsu, so I think you're fine, Mitsumi-chan," Hinoe offered honestly, smiling at the Kumogakure girl. Hinoe herself did not know any specific techniques of Jyuken, though she knew the basics. There was no need for embarrassment. That the hijutsu was connected to raiton was expected; Cloud ninja were renown for their lightning techniques. The Hyuuga waited until Mitsumi had finished, then cleared her throat. "Firstly, it's 'Hinoe-chan'. Using 'san' makes me feel old." Well, true, she was older than average in the Academy, but she didn't have to like it. An Academy kid had once called her 'Granny', and gone home with a fist-sized kernel on his head for it. "Secondly, I'm afraid I don't know much about weapon techniques, especially with wires, but I think I might be able to help a little with combat experience. There are a few things I want to improve on, myself."

|
Old Books, New Leaves [Izusa & Hinoe]Apr 10, 2024 0:17:12 GMT -5
Uchiha Izusa
Duty. Always.
Uchiha Izusa Avatar
groupLeaf Shinobi

The old hunstman winds his horn

Izusa's smile shifted towards Hinoe as she responded to his praise. "Unique and true, Hinoe-chan." While technically 'behind' in regards to her age and rank, she made up for it with effort and had a distinct advantage in physicality. 

"Excellent." He said to the Hyūga's agreement, and after they'd toured and made their way to the training grounds, he found himself face-to-point with the large shuriken. Again the instructor tugged, and again it refused to move. So he planted a sandal on the dummy for extra leverage, pulled, and— "Hijutsu?" Surprise, as he yanked the star free.

He stumbled backwards a few steps before stopping, awkwardly straightening himself out, and turning to face the girl, his eyes shut in an expression of temporary bumbling. "...oh." He muttered, raising a free hand to rub his chin in thought. The Uchiha listened to the student's understandably vague explanation. Raiton was an element he was unable to use himself, but he knew the basic principles of nature transformation well enough. He had to, to be able to explain to his students. Hinoe reassured the girl and he smiled. "She's right, so don't worry," he said in agreement.

Then, he lugged the large star to the edge of the of the training grounds to plant it in the ground, using both hands to ensure it was firmly secure and well out of the way. "I can still help— just in a more roundabout way." Mitsumi's words about wire prompted a more assured nod from him, and as he returned to where the two were standing, he reached into a pouch secured behind his hip, under his haori. "Shurikenjutsu, on the other hand..." he began, retrieving a set of three standard-sized stars dangling from razor-thin wires. "Is one of my clan's specialties." It was.

Among genjutsu, Katon, grudge-holding, and needlessly-dramatic family gatherings. "Look here," Izusa said to Mitsumi, holding the shuriken so that she could see. "You'll want to secure the wires like this. Through the center hole for shuriken, or the looped pommel for most standard-issue kunai." Though small and a bit hard to see, the wires were tied in very deliberate knots. He also removed a kunai from his thigh holster to show her exactly how to affix them there. "As for the length of the wire... you'll want to make sure to leave enough slack so your projectiles can properly reach your target, but depending on the situation that will probably vary." Izusa took all four thrown weapons carefully in hand, and overturned them so that the wires were dangling below, showcasing a multitude of differing lengths. "So it's best to have multiple lengths prepared beforehand, and practice a lot so you don't get one confused for another in the heat of battle." After giving her some time to examine them all, he turned to face a wooden dummy, the same that had been impaled by the Fūma Shuriken. "Once you do..." he said, gaze narrowing.

In a flash of movement he sent all three shuriken and the kunai slicing through the air in curved trajectories towards the thing, the wires remaining between his fingers with some sleight of hand. Using his clan's Kashikoi Kanami Kōsoku, he manipulated them mid-flight to curve further around the dummy, binding it in razor wire from head to post before pulling the strings taut to slice into the wooden foe. "You can achieve feats like that." Izusa finished.

Until he realized what he'd said, then raised a finger to scratch his face. "Well... not exactly, since that one's sort of a clan secret..." Forgetting about this outing had him off his game, it seemed. He turned to Mitsumi, his smile having turned apologetic. "...but there are similar techniques, and the general concept's the same." The Hyūga's reply to being called 'Hinoe-san' earned a small chuckle from him, and the instructor listened to the student offer their guest help in regards to combat. "How about a spar, then?" Izusa asked, raising an eyebrow at Hinoe. "It'll be good to face off against someone other than me, for a change." Less painful, probably, and she was closer in skill to Mitsumi.

Hinoe's comment about improvement made him curious, and so he asked, "What have you been working on?" If it could be honed in mock battle, all the better. He removed a spool from his pouch, cutting several wires with a kunai before handing them to Mitsumi. "Tie these to some of your practice tools," he instructed, gesturing towards the dummies. "Try some trial throws, then we'll see if you can implement them in combat." With that, he stepped back.

To allow Mitsumi space to try the method out for herself, but still close enough to offer advice if she needed. He didn't expect her to succeed on her first try, but that's why they were all here. Practice was key, after all.

Old Books, New Leaves [Izusa & Hinoe]Apr 11, 2024 18:38:29 GMT -5
Itagaki Mitsumi
Itagaki Mitsumi Avatar
groupCloud Shinobi
"O-okay. Um... Hinoe... chan," Mitsumi blushed a vibrant pink. Had she just forgotten how familiar people could be during her isolation? Her politeness and manners were rebuffed more often than not. And a part of her bristled at being called 'Mitsumi-chan.' A small but stubborn part that craved respect and admiration.

Maybe she was pushing herself a little too hard, but Mitsumi felt like she was finally taking control of her life. Graduation loomed large, but she knew she had the basics of what it took to pass the minimum bar to become a Genin. But she couldn't accept the bare minimum. Wouldn't. The world was filled with superb Shinobi, and if she was to become Chūnin, or reach even beyond... she had to keep pushing.

Mitsumi took a pad and pen out of a jacket pocket, scratching down notes and a diagram of the knots she was shown. Something to practice while she was here, and after. But sitting down and tying and untying knots until they were perfect would be a poor use of Izusa's and Hinoe's time. But she would definitely be trying to make use of Uzusa before she left - her thoughts were more to use the wired shuriken or kunai as a mobility tool, but the level of precision and accuracy Izusa displayed sparked envy and determination. He didn't look much older than she was. If she hadn't spent so many years in idleness, then maybe...

Mitsumi shook off the dark thought. "That was i-impressive, Izusa-sensei. Thank you for your guidance." Her mannerisms were starting to feel stiff and awkward, even to her. The topic turned to sparring, and a spike of doubt was driven through Mitsumi. Hinoe looked so... confident. Imposing, especially with those pupiless eyes. "Yes... I mean, yes!" Mitsumi affirmed her understanding of the instructions, shaking herself out of her reverie.

Consulting her notes, she tied the wire as she had been shown, and confirmed them with Izusa and herself. Ensuring the shuriken could still spin, and the wires would not become tangled. She'd likely need to have some specialized pouches made, so that the lengths of wire could be drawn quickly, without tangling. As it was, she settled for her regular pouches, and spent some time getting used to throwing them whilst keeping hold of the wire. Judging distance was going to be vital - if the wire was too short, the kunai or shuriken would not reach. Too long, and the wire would become slack, ultimately slowing her efforts. Better to err on the side of too long, for her purposes.

After she felt like she had gotten a reasonable handle on the absolute basics - throwing, retrieving, and not tying her new tools into knots, she nodded to herself.

"I'm not too sure how useful they'll be, but..." Mitsumi breathed in, then expelled out a breath, and at least some of her self doubt. She stood opposite Hinoe, drawing a wired shuriken. "Whenever you're ready, Hinoe-sa-chan." Mitsumi barely caught herself, determination in her eyes mixing with mild mortification as she inadvertently invented a nickname. She shook her head, and adopted a fight pose, shuriken poised to be thrown.
last edit by Itagaki Mitsumi on Apr 12, 2024 8:50:49 GMT -5
Old Books, New Leaves [Izusa & Hinoe]Apr 11, 2024 23:25:19 GMT -5
Hyuuga Hinoe
Nanakorobi yaoki!
Hyuuga Hinoe Avatar
groupLeaf Shinobi
Even though Hinoe was not looking to practice any weapon-related techniques regarding wire, she watched and listened to Izusa's shurikenjutsu lesson with interest. Who knew, even if she never used wires and shuriken in all the time spent on her ninja vocation, there was the great possibility of learning something which could find application in an entirely different field. The Hyuuga's eyes widened, and her mouth opened slightly in wonder, as the thrown shuriken ensnared and almost cut the target post into ribbons. "That was so incredible! I will most definitely want to learn that!" Hinoe thought with awe, impressed by what she had just seen...

...except she couldn't learn it, as it was a clan secret technique. "What a show-off! Still that was so cool. Doesn't change the fact that he's such a show-off." Or, and perhaps more honestly, Hinoe was simply displeased that such a cool-looking technique was restricted to the Uchiha. Well, she could calm herself with the thought that the Hyuuga could use the Jyuken, and few others, but was that really a consolation?

Her dismal thoughts, on the coolest shurikenjutsu being denied her by the edgelord clan of Konoha, were interrupted by Izusa's voice directing a question at her. "Ah?" she said, momentarily taken by surprise. "I discovered some old notes of my father's, regarding some esoteric variant of my clan's traditional taijutsu." Hinoe did not want to go into any details or mention the Gentle Fist; even though Mitsumi was an ally, she was from another village, and nobody seemed to be eager to share clan secrets, so Hinoe would not be so gracious. "While it did not seem like this form was popular, there seem to be some variations of the general stance and basic forms that piqued my interest."

The Jyuken was, despite its name, an aggressive style, but the notes she had seen seemed to suggest something more reactive and more focused on counters. Hinoe was not sure how that would work, but she also suspected that there were a lot of critical things missing from the notes. In any case, the young Hyuuga was sure that improving one's reflexes and reaction speed were things that would be most beneficial to even a fighting style as offensive as Jyuken.

Mitsumi prepared herself and informed Hinoe to start when convenient. The Hyuuga paused a moment. "Hinoesa-chan?" she asked with a chuckle, a mischievous smile on her face. Yes, Hinoe knew that it had been because Mitsumi had caught herself in the middle of using a more formal suffix, but the Hyuuga wanted to make this exchange as informal as possible. She could be wrong, but Hinoe thought that people tended to be more themselves and relaxed in informal settings. So this would have to be as informal as she could afford. Mitsumi already seemed nervous and withdrawn, and Hinoe hoped to make her feel at home. Somehow. A bit of a tall order for an introvert, but she would try.

"Here I come!" the Hyuuga finally called out, rushing towards Mitsumi and attempting a double palm strike. No chakra infused attacks, and no Byakugan activated.

|
Old Books, New Leaves [Izusa & Hinoe]Apr 12, 2024 6:44:01 GMT -5
Uchiha Izusa
Duty. Always.
Uchiha Izusa Avatar
groupLeaf Shinobi

The lark sings with me

Izusa watched the student from Kumogakure, smiling as she dutifully took notes, and nodding rather nonchalantly as she thanked him. "Of course." Was his reply, as it was his duty. Though he did catch the hint of doubt in her voice.

Sparring wasn't everyone's favorite, but it was one of the best ways they had to measure one's effectiveness in a combat scenario. So, like it or not, it was a necessity. "Don't worry, Itagaki-chan," he said, giving the girl a reassuring look. "I'll step in if things get too heated." If needed, but he wasn't counting on it happening, especially with Hinoe.

Among their recent lessons had been one centered all on control, and the Hyūga never struck him as someone who would go out of her way to show up a peer or otherwise push a bout too far. While Mitsumi looked over her notes and began to tie knots, he turned his attention towards Hinoe, listening to her explanation. "Unorthodoxy, hm?" The instructor raised a hand to rub his chin in thought... then he shot the girl a small smile. "I approve." As an all-rounder himself, he tended to try to cover as many areas as possible in combat. But in lieu of a generalized approach, subverting an enemy's expectations was always a smart move. "A different approach can give you quite the edge."

Especially if she were to ever fight another Hyūga. It was a musing that would have to wait for another time as Mitsumi began her practice throws, and Izusa helped her out with a few pointers along the way. He demonstrated proper throwing technique a few more times so that she could check her form against his own. And to his surprise...

She seemed to gather a decent grasp on the basics quickly. "That's a good start." He said, and soon after, both students agreed to the match and began to prepare. Izusa stepped back, far enough to oversee, but close enough to intervene.

They seemed eager, so he clasped his hands within his sleeves and spoke. "Now, don't forget the Seal of—" But it was too late, and the bout began. "...Confrontation." A muttered word, his expression flattening as he watched Hinoe rush in to strike. It was an important part of sparring, especially in the academy... but he understood the impatience.

He'd just make them do it after. "There's that opening palm strike, again." Izusa thought as watched Hinoe, squinting a bit at her form. It'd improved. "Doubled, this time." His gaze shifted to Mitsumi. "Now, how will our guest react?"

Old Books, New Leaves [Izusa & Hinoe]Apr 12, 2024 9:12:42 GMT -5
Itagaki Mitsumi
Itagaki Mitsumi Avatar
groupCloud Shinobi
Mitsumi nodded to Izusa, clearly a bit nervous, but with determination in her eyes. She was here representing not only herself, but Kumogakure. And soon Tetsumaki, if all went well. She couldn't embarrass herself, nor her village. Even if she couldn't win, she needed to at least put up a respectable fight.

Hopefully the Hyuuga didn't have fiery jutsu in addition to those blank-yet-piercing eyes.

Her face reddened again at the reminder of her stammering and stilted speech, but didn't bother denying the lighthearted jab. Mitsumi wanted to focus.

"Ah! Wha-" Mitsumi was caugvht a bit off-guard by the lack of a formal start to the fight, but she was focused enough to not be caught completely in the midsection. As it was, she had enough time to quickly flick the shuriken down - perhaps a distraction, but it would appear to be a miss, deliberate or accidental, the blunted edges digging into the ground.

Mitsumi tried to take a step back as the palm strike landed on the right arm withdrawn to defend her torso, her left remaining its hold on the wire. The impact was heavy, even with her attempts to mitigate it. Hinoe was clearly far more experienced with taijutsu than she was. But she was getting fairly used to going up against people far more skilled and talented than she was.

So, she would have to compensate with grit, and underhanded tactics.

Digging in her heels after skidding back from the impact, Mitsumi bolted into motion, feinting a charge as her hand shot to the kunai pouch. Instead, Mitsumi tried to run past Hinoe, and to use the anchored wire to catch one of Hinoe's ankles.

A completely new and unpracticed maneuver, and, if Hinoe did not fall for the feint, her side would be dangerously exposed for that one moment. If it worked, Mitsumi would be able to pull Hinoe off-balance - perhaps long enough to land a decisive blow. She certainly lacked the skill with the wires to attempt trapping a limb, or attempting anything even close to what Izusa had achieved.

Not that she would have time for anything other than an unarmed strike.
Old Books, New Leaves [Izusa & Hinoe]Apr 13, 2024 21:20:19 GMT -5
Hyuuga Hinoe
Nanakorobi yaoki!
Hyuuga Hinoe Avatar
groupLeaf Shinobi
Hinoe watched silently as Mitsumi made her attempts with tying wire to shuriken and throwing. And she had to admit, she was quite impressed at how fast Mitsumi learned the basics of the stuff. Whether it was due to some personal proclivity to weapon arts, or some high level of genius on the Kumo girl's part, or more likely a bit of both, Mitsumi was more able than the average Academy student at learning things. Izusa seemed to acknowledge that as well, praising Mitsumi's effort, before giving space for the sparring to begin.

Hinoe realized too late that she had jumped the gun and rushed into combat without performing the Seal of Confrontation, hearing Izusa's voice belatedly. Even though she was considered by many to be calm, Hinoe knew that one of her personal weaknesses was her impulsiveness. It had indirectly been responsible for her hospitalization, as, if she had been able to keep her head and ignore her clan member's taunting, she might have not been attacked by his mother. Still, that was in the past, as was this mistake. Hopefully, if she remembered, after the spar, Hinoe would apologize to Mitsumi for just jumping into the fray so soon. But for now, there was work to be done.

Hinoe barely took note of the shuriken thrown to the ground; why Mitsumi had done that, she was not sure, but there was probably a reason for it. Perhaps it would be wise to keep that piece of information at the back of her mind. The Kumo girl, although struck, had defended against Hinoe's blow decently, the force of the strike pushing her back. Then Mitsumi charged. Hinoe tracked her hand moving to her weapon pouch, and prepared herself for the shuriken toss that never came. Instead, Mitsumi suddenly darted by her, and Hinoe felt something on her ankle.

"The wire!"

Fortunately for Hinoe, her saving grace had been that she had expected there to have been something to expect with the shuriken thrown at the ground, so while she was taken by surprise, she was not as unready as if she had not had it in mind. Still, Hinoe found herself in the air, and in danger of landing on her back. "Think quick, girl!" She twisted her body, so that she converted her momentum into a flip, although she was too low to the ground to execute the flip and land on her feet. So she used her hands instead. Landing on the palms of her hands, Hinoe broke her fall, although it would be clear that the fall breaking was not very graceful. Still, in the hopes of catching her opponent by surprise, Hinoe, while still upside dow, suddenly lashed out with one foot, aiming to kick Mitsumi, before twisting her hips and trying a second kick. This she followed up by righting herself, though as soon as her feet touched the ground, she would attempt a sweep kick at her opponent's feet.

|
Old Books, New Leaves [Izusa & Hinoe]Apr 19, 2024 18:59:34 GMT -5
Uchiha Izusa
Duty. Always.
Uchiha Izusa Avatar
groupLeaf Shinobi

What sweet company

The instructor watched the events carefully, his dark eyes following the students' every movement.

From the slightest shift of weight, to Mitsumi's apparent missed shuriken throw, to Hinoe's oppressive style of taijutsu that succeeded in applying pressure. "Is she..." a trailed thought, his gaze narrowing on the star. "It seems so."

Misdirection was a powerful tool— especially when it came to combat amongst shinobi. And Izusa's suspicions were confirmed when the Hyūga readjusted only to find a wire snug against her ankle. "What now, Hinoe-chan?" This exercise would be valuable for them both. Student versus student was a far more even match than someone like him.

So it would be skill and strategy, not an experience gap, that prevailed in the end. "Oh?" His internal commentary continued as Hinoe displayed some of her agility in flipping out of the trap, punctuating the maneuver with an upside-down kick. "She fights hard," he thought. "Good." Anyone unlucky enough to be on the receiving end of her strikes was in for pain. Despite their difference in rank, even he couldn't fully halt the girl's attacks without some stinging. Izusa's eyes flicked to the shuriken, then to the kunai Mitsumi reached for. "Another wire?" He wondered.

It would be the next few moments that decided the bout, and he was interested to see how their differing skillsets did against one another. Not quite brain against brawn, as Hinoe was certainly no mental slouch herself, but more like...

Dexterity pitted against force. Could Mitsumi trap the Hyūga long enough to deliver a blow of her own, or was Hinoe's aggression too much for her to overcome with wire traps? Izusa said little, instead placing a hand on his chin as he watched with growing interest. Squinting as the fight became more frantic, and watching for a conclusion.

His advice could wait until the end, so for now, he stood by as an observer. Ready to intervene if necessary, but doubting his need to as the two of them still seemed very much in control. "Show me what you can do, you two."