Difficulty settings

compose a reply
Difficulty settingsJul 27, 2016 22:10:17 GMT -5
Waruichi Kanka
Nindo Goes Here: Edit Profile > Personal > Most Recent Status
Waruichi Kanka Avatar
groupnull
age 48 years old birthday 11. November rank Jōsō Jōnin [Elite Senior Ninja] occupation
Alrighty, so this is something that has been on my mind for a while and I thought I would attempt to give it a try. As a Naruto RP site, it is in the very nature that death is always a possibility. However, one thing that seems to always be prevalent is most (but not everyone) are unwilling to let their character(s), whether trying to somehow get out of a lethal attack or never putting a character in a dangerous position. While I totally understand that each character is specially created with time and effort (mine in particular taking a course of a full year), RPing gets to a point where it can feel stagnant. Combat threads become boring and repetitive when all participents are just dodging attacks, and non-combat threads are less impactful when nothing major happens to effect the character (heavy wound, and things like that). Now I realize this is not across the board, but I have a suggestion.

| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | 

On another site I was a mod on for a while, we used a particular system for difficulty. Just as it sounds there were three choiced: Novice (easy), Seasoned (medium), and Veteran (hard). Each difficulty level provided certain perks.

- Novice/Easy: allowed a character to be in permanent NDE (non death enabled), and at most should the character receive what would normally be a fatal blow would be knocked out. HOWEVER, the character could not advanced past the rank of Genin (this meant that no character on this difficulty level could enter the exams). For N:FB this would allow the following ranks: Academy Student, Genin, Advanced Genin.

- Seasoned (Medium): Similar to Easy mode, a character with this difficulty level would have the same NDE status in general play, and could reach up to Chūnin. HOWEVER, a Medium difficulty character can engage in DE threads; this also means should a character on this difficulty setting receive a fatal blow, death IS possible. For N:FB this this would allow the following ranks: Academy Student, Genin, Advanced Genin, Chūnin, Tokubetsu Jōnin.

- Veteran (Hard): The cream of the crop, this mode offered the most, but also had the most risk. Any character on Hard mode had a permanent DE status on every thread they entered, regardless of being a Nukenin or not, and could achieve the site's maximum rank of Jōnin. As well, a character on Hard mode could apply for important sitewide positions such as Kage, Jinchūriki and legendary weapons / techniques. For N:FB this this would allow the following ranks: Academy Student, Genin, Advanced Genin, Chūnin, Tokubetsu Jōnin, Jōnin, Jōsō (Elite) Jōnin.

Now what if I was fairly new and started on easy mode and later decided I wanted my Genin to enter the exams? Simple: I put in an appeal to have a rank change. HOWEVER, this was something that could only be done once / 3 months, and was not a change to be taken lightly. Once you change your rank you cannot go down. As for higher ranks, backwards compatibility was not an option (Jōnin down to Chūnin or Genin), but a higher ranked character could scrap / recreate into a lower rank and transfer SOME of their exp to create a new character.

If we were to allow something like that, my idea would be that up to 75% of the character's exp could be reused, but it would be at the flat rate for that said character rank. So a Tokubetsu Jōnin could take the exp they had and replace their higher ranked techniques with lower ranked ones (perhaps a certain limit to prevent overpowered Genin or Chūnin). Or Something in a similar fashion to that. 

As for the important positions, I truly think the Hard mode being required for Jinchūriki and Kage should be a must. After all, the first are perhaps one of the most important assets an individual village may have; regardless of age or rank, the Jinchūriki can potentially be some of the strongest characters on the site.
As for the Kage, being a leader of a village or country is rarely ever always safe. To have constant immunity seems counterintuitive and defeats the point of having a Kage in my honest point; they have been appoitned to that rank for their prowess, be it in battle or politics. 

I don't imagine the difficulty setting working for the Reserved Techniques and Weapons, albeit perhaps for the most extreme case (i.e. Edo Tensei, Cursed Seal, Sage of Six Paths tools, etc.). 

TL; DR - Incentives are nice. Non-stagnant RPing and plotting are even better. Doubtful this would be received by most of the site well, but I'm hopeful at least some part of this could be implemented.

Your one and only southern witchdoctor,
- Dots 
last edit by Waruichi Kanka on Jul 27, 2016 22:15:51 GMT -5
Dots has written 94 posts

quick reply

compose a reply