Reporting For Duty!

compose a reply
Reporting For Duty!Jun 16, 2022 14:10:24 GMT -5
Uchiha Miroru
Just don't give up on me! We can figure this out!
Uchiha Miroru Avatar
groupLeaf Shinobi
age 14 years old birthday 7/9 rank Chuunin occupation Jinchuuriki

Uchiha Miroru
Konohagakure No Sato
Academy Student Extraordinaire!

@name | ### | notes

Rain pattered down across the village, and Miroru could not be happier.

The mischievous little scamp was headed for her lesson and taking full advantage of the village streets swamped with water to slosh straight through them and pretend she'd already mastered that old workhorse- "Suimen Hokou no Waza!" She passed an alley and pivoted, pitching a practice shuriken into the alley to knock an empty bottle off a box into the trash can nearby, yanking on the wire tied to it to reel it back in as she splashed her way to class! 

Needless to say, by the time she arrived at class, the student was absolutely, completely, one hundred percent soaked to the bone, and grinning wide as she showed up at the academy classroom. She took a moment to hang up her poncho- having managed to keep her shirt and the upper half of her shorts dry and absolutely nothing else- and then to wriggle her toes out of soaked socks and shoes, leaving them to dry as she switched to her school shoes and ran into the halls to get to the room where, theoretically, her instructor was already waiting.

And if he wasn't... he was just giving her time to set up traps for when he finally arrived! A tripwire with a bell tied to a wastebasket with a whole pouch of marbles in the bottom!

There were good reasons the instructors tended to avoid letting Miroru show up to class before they did...

"Just don't give up on me! We can figure this out!"

Template by: Monkey
last edit by Uchiha Miroru on Jun 16, 2022 14:11:27 GMT -5
Threnody has written 1,180 posts
Reporting For Duty!Jun 16, 2022 14:45:18 GMT -5
Hyūga Shigure
the price of freedom is steep
Hyūga Shigure Avatar
groupnull
age 21 years old birthday August 20 rank Jōnin occupation Genin Team 1 Lead / Interception Team
header
"reporting for duty".
"No matter how many people you may lose, you have no choice but to go on living."

NICE TRY

It was a rainy summer day in the Hidden Leaf Village, which gave them a nice break from the usually hot weather they had during the summer months in he Land of Fire. Punctual as ever, Shigure had arrived at the academy more than half an hour before the start of his schedule class, and today it was going to be a rather important one: the students would be practicing the Transformation Technique. He had already lectured them on the technique and its works, but it was always good practice to start class by making a little review on what they had learned.

Grabbing his folder, Shigure walked into class about five minutes before the scheduled time for it to start. As he approached the door, he noticed that the door wasn't completely closed, and knowing some of his students, he scoffed, prompting the veins around his temples to bulge. With his Byakugan, he saw the wastebasket laid as a trap, with a tripwire by the entrance. With a deep breathe, he approached the door and nonchalantly avoided the tripwire, making his way inside the class. But as his other feet passed by it, he formed a chakra needle with his feet, tearing the wire and using his hand to grab the bucket before it fell, getting "wows" from some students.

He would casually place the bucket down and nod sagely. "Can't say it wasn't a good trap, but let's save it for our appropriate class, shall we?" he said in a kind tone with a smile. Most of the students were already there and they greeted their sensei, to which he responded with a large smile and a short bow. "Good morning, class." his tone was as friendly as ever.

The Hyuuga walked towards his desk, placing his folder there and opening it, where he had his notes and then he sit down, staring to take the attendance with the people already there. Once the bell rang, he got up and walked to the centre of the classroom, in front of the desks. "Alright, so we will be practicing the Transformation technique today. I will quickly review the theory before we get down to business." he said, grabbing a chalk and walking towards the blackboard

"Albeit a basic technique, the Transformation Technique is extremely useful. It can be used to disguise yourself as another person, but also an animal, plant, or inanimate object, the last one being the hardest thing to achieve." he said, drawing a person, a plant, a dog, and a shuriken on the board. "To properly transform, you need to be familiarized with the form you are assuming. The Technique will allow you to acquire the features of what you are transforming into, such as the fangs of an animal, or the sharpness of a weapon, making it not only invaluable for information gathering and diversionary tactics, as well as combat." he said, as he drew a little more.

"Like I said, familiarity and attention to details are paramount. So, do any of you have any questions so far?" he asked, turning around to look at the students.

"So what if it seems hopeless? If it were me, I still wouldn't give up. Embrace your dreams. And, whatever happens, protect your honour as a Shinobi, for the price of freedom is steep."

Academy Class
Transformation Jutsu
[]
[524 words]
Ren has written 1,690 posts
Reporting For Duty!Jun 16, 2022 15:03:10 GMT -5
Uchiha Miroru
Uchiha Miroru Avatar
groupLeaf Shinobi

Uchiha Miroru
Konohagakure No Sato
| 242 | notes

"Aw, crumbs!" Miroru muttered as the trap was easily undone. How had she forgotten Shigure was teaching? The Hyuuga were famous for being so hard to surprise. She wasn't gonna get anywhere setting up ambushes places where he could LOOK! She shoulda known that! "It wasn't a trap, Hyuuga-sensei! It was a pop quiz! Congratulations, you passed!" She flashed a proud thumbs up at their teacher before coughing delicately and asking, "-so can I have my marbles back after class?"

She chimed in with the enthusiastic, "Good morning, Hyuuga-sensei" with everyone else, settling back down and sketching ideas for better traps in the future. Maybe she could throw a marble behind him and substitute into its place? That idea seemed like it had promise! Or maybe hide a marble she'd prepared for a substitution in the basket, and knock it over to get the marble behind him?

This wasn't gonna be easy!

She listened closely as Shigure went over the very basics of the technique, and as soon as he asked for questions, her hand shot up. "I do! What happens if you DON'T know your assumed form right? What if you like. Only know one dog and he has tons of fur and you don't know what he looks like under there? What happens if you try anyhow?"

last edit by Uchiha Miroru on Jun 16, 2022 15:03:58 GMT -5
Reporting For Duty!Jun 16, 2022 17:21:07 GMT -5
Hyūga Shigure
Hyūga Shigure Avatar
groupnull
age 21 years old birthday August 20 rank Jōnin occupation Genin Team 1 Lead / Interception Team
header
"reporting for duty".
"No matter how many people you may lose, you have no choice but to go on living."

GAPS

Miroru claimed that the trap wasn't a trap per say, but a pop quiz and that he passed the test, to which he sighed, shaking his head. The girl was a bit of a trouble maker, but he wouldn't indulge in that game with her, at least not while in class. "Well, I will give them back this time, but only after we finish the lecture." he said in a more strict tone than usual, before returning to his explanation about the Transformation Technique. Once his explanation was done, he opened it for questions and Miroru was the first one to raise her hand. "Go ahead, Miroru-chan. What's your question?" he asked, and the girl promptly responded.

Shigure's smile widened and he nodded to the girl once she was done with her question. "Excellent question! If you don't know what you want to transform into well, your brain will try to fill up the gaps. The Technique per say will work, but not flawlessly. The gaps will likely be inaccurate to what you intended to replicate, and while that can be fine under some circumstances, if you were trying to trick someone, those gaps will probably work against you." he said, lifting his index as if he was making a point. "Let's say you were transforming into a dog that was guarding an enemy base. If you made a mistake because you couldn't figure out the colour of its skin, then the enemy may be able to spot the inconsistency and you would be in trouble." he explained.

"Hence why it's important to be very through, details are key. Now... Any more questions before we start practicing it?" he asked, but most of the students seemed satisfied, or either too shy to voice their concerns. Well, in any case, their flaws would be made evident the moment they tried to execute the technique, anyways, that was the reason why Shigure was there. "One last friendly warning: your sensei happens to have a doujutsu called the Byakugan. This grants me incredible perception, so... If you want to pass this class, you will definitely need to give due care to details." he said, cracking a smirk in the corner of his mouth.

"So what if it seems hopeless? If it were me, I still wouldn't give up. Embrace your dreams. And, whatever happens, protect your honour as a Shinobi, for the price of freedom is steep."

Academy Training
Transformation Technique
[]
[371 words]
Reporting For Duty!Jun 16, 2022 19:04:30 GMT -5
Uchiha Miroru
Uchiha Miroru Avatar
groupLeaf Shinobi

Uchiha Miroru
Konohagakure No Sato
| 357 | notes

"Okay! Thank you, Aw- er, Hyuuga-sensei!" Miroru corrected herself before the nickname she'd heard from her older cousins- Awooga-sensei, a joke about how attractive the teacher was- snuck out. She didn't really get it, but she thought it meant he looked cool, and the name lived rent free in her head as a result.

"Hm hm hm- wait." Miroru paused, frowning faintly. "So, if we don't know the details of what we want to change into, we could mess up the transformation without knowing it?" She thought for a moment, then bluntly asked, "Does that mean we need to learn what doggy privates look like?"

The class, predictably, exploded.

"I MEAN IT! Dogs pee on stuff all the time, what if we're supposed to be a dude dog and we don't do the privates right!? It's a serious question!" Miroru protested. "Imagine if you're supposed to be a boy dog and you crouch to pee instead, you'd give yourself away immediately! You gotta commit to the transformation, right?!" It seemed like a pretty immature question, but for kids who didn't necessarily even know what the other gender looked like under their clothing, it was a pretty pertinent question. Plus, the observation was on point- a dog magically switching gender would definitely arouse immediate suspicion. The question had merit- even if delivered in an amusing manner, it showed she was thinking about the situation in detail.

The redhead went a little quiet at the mention of the teacher's Doujutsu, briefly reminded that she hadn't inherited anything of use from her own family. Considering how powerful the clan's own Doujutsu was, she knew that for a lot of her relatives, she came off as a bit of a disappointment- it wasn't common to inherit the Sharingan, but every new child was a new chance for another user of the clan's specialty.

Trying to make up for being a disappointment was a big part of her motivation, as much as she'd never admit to it out loud.

Reporting For Duty!Jun 17, 2022 10:02:52 GMT -5
Hyūga Shigure
Hyūga Shigure Avatar
groupnull
header
"reporting for duty".

PRACTICE

Shigure was completely oblivious to any nickname he might have as an academy instructor, but he was sure he had at least a few. Kids will be kids, and giving nicknames to people was just their second nature. Heck, even his teammates during his time as a member of Team 3 decided to call him 'Boss'. In any case, Miroru seemed to still have questions so he nodded and pointed at her. "Alright, class, let's hear what Miroru-chan has to say." he said, not knowing that her question would cause quite the reaction soon enough. "Yes, you need to know the details as to not mess it up." he confirmed, only for her to surprise him and the class with what came next.

The class laughed out loud and Shigure sighed, resting his hands on his waist and shaking his head. Miroru insisted on her point, fighting to be heard amidst the laugher, until finally Shigure raised his own voice. "COME ON, FOLKS!" he shouted and the class finally allowed for silence to reign again. "The question has its merits, so let me answer it." he said, making sure they understood that no question was truly silly. "As you said, Miroru-chan, you need to know even those details. As ninjas, we need to strive to become masters of deceit. As such, details are extremely important. In this situation, if you were to transform into a dog, and you got the wrong gender, the owner would likely notice it. So yes, you need to commit. However, if you are transforming on a human who's fully dressed, you can spare such details, as it is more unlikely that the people you are deceiving will be seeing you without your clothing, but it goes case to case." he added with a firm nod.

With no further questions, he was now able to move on with the class. "So, now that I've answered your questions. The practice today will be to transform into myself! Yes, quite easy, right? Since I'm standing right here. So, let's get started?" he asked, as the kids looked at one another, wondering who would be going first. "Jiro, would you please step forward?" he said to one of the kids, who got up and walked beside Shigure. "Go ahead, when you are ready." he said and the boy nodded, waving one hand seal and attempting to transform.

It was partially successful, but he became a taller version of Shigure with lilac eyes and a more wavy hair. "Good first try, but you are missing out some details. Look in the mirror and compare. Now, class, what do you think went wrong?" he opened the question to the other students.

Academy Training
Transformation Technique
[]
[451 words]
Reporting For Duty!Jun 17, 2022 12:48:37 GMT -5
Uchiha Miroru
Uchiha Miroru Avatar
groupLeaf Shinobi

Uchiha Miroru
Konohagakure No Sato
| 278 | notes

Miroru's nose scrunched up at the idea that she might have to look like somebody else naked. SURELY there would never be a need to see what someone she had to impersonate looked like under their clothes. That'd be weird!!!

"Oh! Just transforming into you, Hyuuga-sensei? That doesn't seem too hard," Miroru said, rubbing her chin a bit, trying to look smart while she tried to think about how this should go, looking their teacher over.

Okay, broad details to small. How far up the wall did he go? Wait, was her perspective throwing that off? She was sitting. She'd have to adjust for that. How much of that height went from shoulder to shoulder? How broad was he at the hips? All that was easy enough to catalog when she took the time to note each thing one by one. Pale eyes a touch darker than the whites, but not much. Empty pupil. Bandaged forearms. Sleeve with the fire symbol on the right- no, left hand side. High ponytail, two locks down either side of the face. Sort of... walnutty hair.

"-went wrong?"

"Huh?"

Miroru blinked, realizing she hadn't heard the question. She glanced at the first student to try, and immediately saw the differences. "I think- maybe he ended up taller than you because he sees you from a lower perspective when he was sitting down, so he thought you were taller than you are. And I think he ascribed color to your eyes because it's hard to really think of colorless irises?"

Reporting For Duty!Jun 17, 2022 17:57:46 GMT -5
Hyūga Shigure
Hyūga Shigure Avatar
groupnull
header
"reporting for duty".

SUCCESSFUL TRANSFORMATION

When he asked what went wrong, the boy named Jiro looked a bit disappointed with himself, but he wasn't quite sure on what went wrong. Well, until Miroru spoke, providing a very good assessment of the situation, which surprised Shigure as well, who arched his brows. "That is a very good assessment, Miroru-chan. Indeed, you need to analyze the person you are going to transform into deeply, check the details, match the height, the hair tone and texture, the colour of their eyes, and any other visible mark they might have. Also, it's important to change your tone of voice too." he explained and Jiro seemed to better understand it. "I see, sensei. I think I get it now." he said with a large smile on his face and Shigure nodded. "Try again!" he said, and the kid waved the necessary hand seal and in a poof of smoke, he transformed into a almost identical copy of Shigure, save for the position of his beige sleeve, which was reversed.

"Alright, you got the concept, but don't go by the mirror, for it shows things reversed. Now, one more time." he said, and Jiro finally transformed into a perfect copy of the instructor. "I did it!" his voice matching Shigure's as well. "Good job! Now, Miroru-chan, you are up next." he said, looking towards the girl, as the boy walked back to his seat. "Are you ready?" he asked with a large smile on his face.

Academy Training
Transformation Technique
[]
[247 words]
Reporting For Duty!Jun 17, 2022 18:47:21 GMT -5
Uchiha Miroru
Uchiha Miroru Avatar
groupLeaf Shinobi

Uchiha Miroru
Konohagakure No Sato
| 251 | notes

Miroru did her best not to visibly gloat at the pleasantly surprised expression of Hyuuga-sensei's face as she chimed in on what she thought had just happened, and proceeded to clap approvingly as Jiro got better and better at the technique, finally cheering to encourage him as he nailed it! "Good job, Jiro-kun! I knew you could do it! Way to go!"

Then, of course, it was her turn to give it a shot, and she nodded, leaping to her feet. "Yeah! I'm ready right now! I'm gonna show you the most accurate Transformation Jutsu ever!" Inspiration struck in a heartbeat, and her eyes sparkled in that horrible, awful telltale that things were about to go at least mildly off the rails. "In fact-"

And then she quickly turned around as she did the handseals.

Smoke poofed upwards as she completed the jutsu, and, from Shigure's perspective everything was perfectly fine. The position of the armband, the length and color of his hair, it was all spot on... but everyone in class was smothering laughter.

And then she turned around.

https://i.imgur.com/TXPYaZl.png

"-I THINK YOU'LL APPRECIATE THE FASHIONABLE IMPROVEMENT," she declared, twirling her moustache proudly as the students lost it! Her voice wasn't quite right- it was a little too deep, nearly a cartoon version of his own tones- but she'd nailed the visual details AND added one of her own!

last edit by Uchiha Miroru on Jun 17, 2022 18:47:52 GMT -5
Reporting For Duty!Jun 17, 2022 19:01:13 GMT -5
Hyūga Shigure
Hyūga Shigure Avatar
groupnull
header
"reporting for duty".

MUSTACHE

Miroru seemed ready to try her luck with the Transformation Technique, hopefully learning from Jiro's mistake. Then, when she waived the hand seal and was covered in smoke for a second, Shigure's likeness seemed to have been perfectly replicated, which made the Hyuuga happy, but just for a brief second. The classroom exploded in laugher again and that was enough to make his smile fade away. "What now?" he wondered. When she turned around, he noticed that she had added quite the mustache to his face, which made him sigh and - essentially - face palm himself. "This is... Miroru... You know this affects your grades, right?" he shook his head, resting his hands on his waist, frowning his brows ever so slightly.

"Still, it was pretty close. Now try again without trying to be funny." he told her. The voice was pretty good, but also comically changed so that the joke could be more effective. In any case, he was susprised she basically did it on her first try. The Uchiha girl certainly had potential, and he was sure she would grow to be a remarkable shinobi... If only she could start taking things a bit more seriously. "And I cannot even grow a beard..." he thought to himself.

Academy Training
Transformation Technique
[]
[209 words]
Reporting For Duty!Jun 17, 2022 19:13:22 GMT -5
Uchiha Miroru
Uchiha Miroru Avatar
groupLeaf Shinobi

Uchiha Miroru
Konohagakure No Sato
| 223 | notes

Miroru released the technique and held up a finger. "Yes, BUT. I shouldn't be penalized for this! I bet oftentimes, we don't have the luxury of necessarily seeing the exact person we might want to mimic! For instance, if I watched someone leave the village, and wanted to appear as a relative, being able to add features intentionally would make it far easier to modify someone you actually saw, rather than create someone from whole cloth! So it wasn't JUST a joke, it was an important experiment!"

Also a hilarious one, said the twinkle in her eyes, but she didn't say it out loud.

She took a deep breath and refocused. She'd cataloged the details a few moments ago, but she needed to get the voice right. She'd need to clear the moustache, of course. She lifted her hands to start the seals, then stopped abruptly and looked him over rapidly one more time.

She'd almost forgotten the little bandage under the fire symbol!

Her handseals flashed, and smoke poofed, and there was a lovely Shigure copy standing where Miroru had been. "You're right, Miroru-chan. Full marks and I will even give you one of my rice balls at lunchtime!"

Reporting For Duty!Jun 17, 2022 19:26:00 GMT -5
Hyūga Shigure
Hyūga Shigure Avatar
groupnull
header
"reporting for duty".

END OF CLASS

Shigure rolled his white eyes in their orbits when he heard her argument on why she did what she did, claiming it was not solely a joke, but also a way to improvise, which had some merits, if he didn't know what her intention truly was, made obvious by her twinkle in her eyes. "There's merit to that, but that's not the case here and you know it, smarty pants." he said, letting a subtle smile make way to his feature. In any case, the Uchiha girl was ready to try again and once she used the technique, she was able to transform into a perfect copy of Shigure, which he immediately took note of in his papers.

"Good job with the transformation, and I do have Onigiri for lunch. Guess you are studying me better than I expected." he said with a larger smile. "Alright, you can go sit down. We will continue with Shinobu." he said, pointing to another girl there, who promptly got up and approached the front of the class.

After an hour or so, all of the students had tried to transformation technique, to mixed success. Miroru was among the ones who managed to make a perfect replica of the instructor and got a high mark, while others would have a second chance at a later date. Finally, the bell rang indicating the end of today's class.

"Alright, folks, we are done for today. Remember to review the principles of the Transformation Technique to make sure you understand it. To those who failed, don't worry, you will get there eventually. To those who passed, congratulations! Have a nice rest, and I will see you guys tomorrow." he said, giving them a short yet polite bow.

Academy Training
Transformation Technique
[]
[293 words]
Reporting For Duty!Jun 17, 2022 19:47:47 GMT -5
Uchiha Miroru
Uchiha Miroru Avatar
groupLeaf Shinobi

Uchiha Miroru
Konohagakure No Sato
| 230 | notes

"That's my story, and I'm sticking to it, Boss!" Miroru chirped in Shigure's voice, though she didn't directly contest his statement so much as- as discussed- commit to the bit. Miroru released the jutsu once she had permission, and smiled at the praise. "Thank you! You never know whose habits you'll need to have on hand for your missions, after all!" She went and sat down, nearly vibrating in her seat with excitement!

"Thank you for the lesson, Hyuuga-sensei!" The class chimed, as they started to disperse, and Miroru chimed in over the sound of the others leaving. "If anyone wants to practice, I'm sticking around in the yard for a bit! I'll be out a little later!" She declared, letting the others in class filter out before going to the teacher's desk.

"So you saw through my clever ruse, did you?" She declared dramatically as she did her best hero pose there at the front of the room! "You aren't the teacher for nothing, are you, Hyuuga-sensei? But the most important questions still remain!" Miroru looked left. Looked right. "First- when do we get to start accompanying you on missions? You gotta have backup, after all! And second..."

Cough.

"May I have my marbles back, please?"

Reporting For Duty!Jun 17, 2022 20:06:44 GMT -5
Hyūga Shigure
Hyūga Shigure Avatar
groupnull
header
"reporting for duty".

MARBLES

Miroru stayed behind for a bit while the other students left, and as Shigure grabbed his paperwork and her marbles, he noticed the girl's approach, turning to face her. The girl thanked him for the lesson and he nodded, with the kind and friendly smile on his face. "That's what I'm here for." he responded, pausing when the girl addressed her classmates. Shigure was all ready and set to leave, and once no other student but Miroru were in class, the girl went back to her mischievous tone, mentioning he saw through her ruse, to which he chuckled shaking his head. "I'm hard to surprise." and that was an understatement.

Then, the girl asked him when she would get to start accompanying him on missions and he chuckled once again. "I like how eager you are, but you should know that you need to be at least a Genin to be able to take on missions. And even when that happens, it is more likely that you will go on missions with your assigned sensei than me." he explained. The village had their own procedures, and even though Keisuke seemed to trust Shigure enough to send him on a lot of missions, he wasn't sure he would be assigned to be responsible for a fresh Genin.

Once they were past that subject, the girl asked for her marbles back. "Oh, right." he said, handing over the marbles to the young Uchiha girl. "Next time I'm keeping them." he warned her, but without losing the friendly tone. If nothing else was said, he would start walking away from the classroom and heading towards the teacher's room.

Academy Training
Transformation Technique
[]
[276 words]
Reporting For Duty!Jun 17, 2022 23:26:32 GMT -5
Uchiha Miroru
Uchiha Miroru Avatar
groupLeaf Shinobi

Uchiha Miroru
Konohagakure No Sato
| 235 | notes

"Yes~ I noticed! That's what makes you a worthy opponent to hone my skills! I have to become a master of deception, right? Who better to face than you?" Miroru chirped proudly. "And I thought there were, like. Practice missions! Stuff in town! Wouldn't we be able to work together on stuff like that? I heard Ikuko was planning another coop-break! I could help chase him down next time he got out!" declared the student, nodding firmly! "And that means you won't be teaching us after we step up as Genin, doesn't it? Who's gonna do that? Are they really gonna be up to the challenge? I mean, you've got us all in hand, but it's a near thing, really!"

It wasn't.

"Thank you, Hyuuga-sensei! Message received loud and clear!" She called as he started heading off to the teacher's lounge, packing away the marbles into their pouch again- grinning mischievously as he turned the corner.

"Next time I gotta use stuff I don't mind not getting back! Wahahaha!" Giggling, she scampered off down the halls and off into the playground outside, already making "lesson plans" for silly transformation targets for everyone that wanted practice to try out. Goofy, to be sure- but creative and effective at honing the jutsu towards perfection!