Counterproductive [Sho/Atagi]

compose a reply
Counterproductive [Sho/Atagi]Oct 26, 2022 15:00:25 GMT -5
Yamamoto Shosuke
"Its just one thing after another..."
Yamamoto Shosuke Avatar
groupCloud Shinobi
age 17 years old birthday 17/05 rank Chuunin occupation Ops Team 1
Though Sho was mostly a humble and down to earth kind of person, the one area in which he might show a little ego was in his intelligence. He was smart, he knew that, and he wanted to make sure everyone else knew it too. However, just cos he was smart did not mean that he was clever. A clever person when offered the chance for a promotion, a quick shortcut into making their own life better as well as that of the people around them, would have taken any chance to increase their odds that they could get. Even if that meant leaving other people to their fates.

When Sho had first been told that he had been entered into the Chunin exams within the first six months of returning to active service, he had been filled with a mixture of great pride and worry. Great pride that his elders thought that he was capable of this, but also worry because he himself did not. He was not the type of person who indulged in negativity and pessimism, but from a simple realistic perspective, he simply didn't feel ready. There were people who had been in the field for years who failed at these exams, and he was so new and relatively inexperienced.

One's skill as a doctor did not translate out into being skilled at field duty, after all.

Still, he wasn't about to reject the wishes of his elders, and so he chose to accept their ruling to attend the Chuunin exams. He was certain he was skilled enough to avoid dying during them, that much he was confident in, so there was no harm other than looking silly. Problem was, now that he was in Kuwana, and he was able to see other people training desperately for the chunin exams, he was offered a choice. He could either sit back and watch many of his rivals sabotage their own chances, or he could ironically sabotage his own by helping them.

Considering all the options, Sho's choice should perhaps be obvious.

---

The sun beat down on Kuwana's training fields as Sho wandered through them, his white coat flickering behind him in the light breeze that came to cool off the afternoon. It was a hot day, that was for sure, but compared to the heat of Kumogakure this was nothing. At least it wasn't humid, and that was enough. His pockets were a little lighter than usual, having spent much of his medical supplies he had on him in propping up other people who had gotten themselves injured before they had even entered the exam so far.

Whether from Kumo or from any other village, Sho was proving himself to be quite the able-bodied fieldhand. Between people who had just gotten themselves injured in random happenstances, to the much more likely fate of people who had been training into a frenzy and had hurt themselves doing something foolish, Sho must have healed about ten people since he had gotten here, and it seemed he wasn't content in that number. This was his job, it was what he had been raised to do, and so he was going to do it.

Fortunately, much of the healing could be done with a dab hand and a basic understanding of anatomy. A massage to reduce lactic acid build up or an on-the-dose application of some antiseptic and a band-aid. But there were other cases that were far more severe and required actual application of medication.

He was wandering around at this point just looking for something to do, some way to help, to put himself to work. There was no larger goal, no higher thought to it beyond just wandering around. However, when he heard the sound of a voice yelling and something cracking, he figured he had found his next patient.

651 words |

Seimei Ken [Life Bond] 1/8
No Jutsus used.
last edit by Yamamoto Shosuke on Oct 26, 2022 17:25:52 GMT -5
Gesicht has written 434 posts
Counterproductive [Sho/Atagi]Oct 27, 2022 17:03:28 GMT -5
Uzumaki Atagi
Keep on keeping on.
Uzumaki Atagi Avatar
groupGrass Shinobi
age 21 years old birthday April 29th rank Genin occupation
The science of uncertainty

The warmth of the day wasn't unpleasant, but there was certainly better weather to train in. One was liable to suffer all sorts of ailments if they weren't in tune with their body's needs-- dehydration, exhaustion, heat stroke, muscle tears leaking proteins directly into blood-- among many others. Of course, one Atagi Uzumaki typically paid very little attention to such things. From birth, he had a certain affinity about him for taking a licking and continuing to be ticking, even when other's clocks had long stopped for the day. But natural toughness wasn't like some sort of DNA-mutation healing factor, a fact that he either forgot, neglected, or both.

Still, for someone who didn't know him, the sight would be surprising, when they wandered onto the training ground he had claimed for himself. It was a dirt field, populated by a handful of rocks stuck into the ground to act as both difficult terrain and cover, three wooden training dummies lined up on one end of it. The events directly preceding Shosuke's arrival were as follows: Atagi takes a running start up onto one of the boulders, leaps, and angles himself, whilst forming a singular handseal, performing some sort of jutsu that sends him careening through the air in an arc, right at one of the dummies. Proceeding into trying to throw some sort of blow into it-- a punch, a flying kick, or something equally flashy and direct.

On his latest attempt, however, he crashes not directly into it, but clips the top, only really hitting its' head. It snaps right off, perhaps because the Uzumaki's been at the particular 'exercise' for hours, now. That explained the crack. Unceremoniously, the shinobi himself tumbles to the dirt, letting out a yelp, a grimace painted onto his face from some sort of pain. ”Ach, shit!” Getting up to his feet as the little cloud of dirt disperses around him, a hand goes to rub at his left wrist, fingers flexing out and in on repeat.

Starting to shuffle back over to the other side of the training ground, curious irises latch onto someone who appears to be approaching him. Jogging on over, Atagi waves jovially even while clutching at his forearm, an exuberant grin carved out onto his face. ”Yo! Morning, you! I'm not keeping you from usin' this spot here, am I?” He pauses, eyes darting from point to point on his body to locate the village headband, finding it on his arm (presumably). Also, it was clearly afternoon, not morning.

The crimson-haired Grass Shinobi had the appearance of one who had gotten into a fistfight with a bramble bush, where the bush had managed to actually hold out for a long while. Clad in a shirt of apricot, competitor's badge affixed to it, and shorts of strawberry, the characteristic grime that came from sweat and traipsing around in the dirt dotted his form. Exposed legs and forearms belied all manner of scrapes, cuts, and bruises, most of them minor, but all likely avoidable. Even if the look in his eyes was bright, it was clear that his body was unable to keep up with his spirits-- harrowed breaths drawn while hunched over and a little quiver in his legs gave that much away.

”Ah, but! How could I forget my manners? I'm Atagi Uzumaki, of the Hidden Grass. Participant in the upcoming exams, and future great person slash paragon of virtue.” It might come off as a joke, but the tone of voice with which he delivers the introduction belies that he likely unironically believes both of those things. Squinting his way, he starts to straighten out, once he realizes that he's letting his shoulders droop, however unconsciously. ”Who're you, praytell?”

()
aeron at thq
last edit by Uzumaki Atagi on Oct 27, 2022 20:03:11 GMT -5
Knocker has written 329 posts
Counterproductive [Sho/Atagi]Oct 28, 2022 18:53:37 GMT -5
Yamamoto Shosuke
Yamamoto Shosuke Avatar
groupCloud Shinobi
The weather was the least of Sho's concerns right now, although he would note that perhaps this was exactly the type of weather that one wanted to train in. After all, it was just uncomfortable enough that it encouraged you to do your best. Your will flagging, your strength a little reduced due to the heat, it was the training done when you weren't at your best that got you the most prepared for real combat situations. After all, how often did people get into fights when they were feeling at their best?

Regardless, that was a conversation for another time and place. Right now, Sho's full attention were on those noises.

Coming into the clearing, Sho's eyes scanned for any and all detail he could make out. Someone had clearly designed some sort of statue (or perhaps the better word would be training dummy) out of rock, and it seemed like the head had been knocked off. That, Sho assumed, would have been the sound of the cracking. It hadn't been the sound of bones, he knew that one from a distance, hence why it took the extra level of the yell to lure him over here in the first place.

Then there was the person who let out the yelp.

Sho's eyes shot from the rock to them, looking them over. Okay, he didn't look seriously injured, that was good. He had worried that when the boulder broke he would have-- Sho's brain stopped, as his eyes fell over the other boy's face.

BADUMP. BADUMP. BADUMP.

Sho could feel his pulse accelerate, his usually steady and methodical heartbeat beginning to speed up as if it was about to jump hurdles. A very, very light complexion of red shot across Sho's face as he looked up at the older boy.

Kami damn it, why did this guy have to be hot?!

Sho, for his part, looked about as unlike Atagi as it was possible to be. A long, white, almost pearlescent coat flowed over his clothes, marking him out as a doctor (or, at least, someone wearing the robe of one). Underneath, his clothes were simple and plain, with only the slightest hue of colour to mark them out. On his arm, the headband for Kumogakure sat proudly, wrapped around his arm like a tourniquet.

"R-right. So, uh... you're not injured, right?" Sho's eyes looked anywhere but the eyes of the older shinobi. There was something about this guy's atmosphere, something about the way he held himself and he spoke, that made Sho think of heroes of old. Dragon-slayers, warriors who united entire nations, champions of the people.

There was something about this guy that radiated such a purity of spirit and a goodheartedness that made Sho suddenly feel a little guilty for every minor moral mistake he'd ever made, like spending more money than allowed on new medicine or the time he'd delayed going back on shift so he could watch some local kids playing football. Or that time he had killed a bunch of slavers with a certain redhaired friend of his.

"In, uh, in that case, all's good I guess." Hard swallow, his mouth felt dry all of a sudden. Finally, his eyes moved to face the other's, maintaining eye contact as much as he could, even as it caused beads of sweat to form on his forehead from the sheer concentrated effort.

"I'm Shosuke. Yamamoto Shosuke, future head of the Yamamoto clan, from Kumogakure. I'm also signed up for the chunin exams, though I'll probably fail at an early round. Nice to meet you, Mister Asagi." He bowed his head formally, though that in itself was just an excuse to break the eye contact.
612 words |

Jutsus Used: 
Seimei Ken [Life Bond] 2/8

last edit by Yamamoto Shosuke on Oct 28, 2022 18:54:25 GMT -5
Counterproductive [Sho/Atagi]Oct 29, 2022 5:13:26 GMT -5
Uzumaki Atagi
Keep on keeping on.
Uzumaki Atagi Avatar
groupGrass Shinobi

Even when he's just standing there, it seems impossible for him to be perfectly still. Eyes drink in all that Sho's body has to offer, picking up any information that seemed relevant or interesting. For example, the choice of clothing was the complete opposite of that of someone here to go running around and working out would use. The headband around his arm was an interesting choice, and indicated at least to Atagi that the cloud shinobi had no need of keeping hair out of his eyes. That, combined with the question of whether or not he was hurt, keys him in as to what he might be doing here in the first place. ”Oh, I dunno. I'm bad at keeping track of stuff like that. But you must be some kind of doctor-type if you're interested in that, yeah?” That seemed like a terribly callous response to a question like 'are you hurt'?

It appears that the Uzumaki has no problem at all with keeping up that eye contact, locking his with with the medic's for as long as the other party seemed to deem fit. There was a hopeful, optimistic glimmer in them-- of what in particular, who knew? There was a smile that seemed etched onto his features. Truly etched, in that there was a steadfast quality to it, even if it varied in size or shape. There was always something to be happy about, or a thing to take amusement in, at the very least. Blinking twice, he cants his head to one side much in the way a puppy does as he listens to the introduction. By the time he's bowing, though, Atagi can't help but give a hearty laugh. "Bahaha! No need to be so formal, yeah? Strangers as we may be, I've never been one for that kinda thing. And it's Atagi, not Asagi.” he corrects, not even a hint of judgment or reprimand in that tone.

Tugging up at the hem of his shirt, he dabs at some of the sweat at his face and neck, before letting it flop back down. Then he sidles on over to Sho's side, moving to clap an arm at his back, once he ceased the bowing, anyway. ”Future head? That makes you something akin to a prince, yeah? I've yet to meet a cloud-shinobi I didn't like, so I'm sure you've gotta be a good guy.” Two nods of affirmation are given, before he continues, certainly not shy about liking the sound of his own voice, evidently. ”Fail at an early round? Please! The victor is never truly so until the vanquished consider themselves defeated, right? Attitude's half the battle, I'm sure of that much.” Another (very brief) pause, and he orients himself to be facing the Yamamoto again, instead of being side to side. ”But, tell you what! If you're so worried, maybe I can help you out? I'm sure I have all sorts ailments from non-stop training that I don't even know exist. A check-up and a tune-up seem in order, that considered!” The proposal is marked with a rather goofy double thumbs up gesture, quirking an eyebrow towards him in search of his thoughts on that particular proposal.

()
aeron at thq
Counterproductive [Sho/Atagi]Oct 29, 2022 16:46:41 GMT -5
Yamamoto Shosuke
Yamamoto Shosuke Avatar
groupCloud Shinobi
Sho's head seemed to instinctually cock to one side as he looked at the older Shinobi. He was handsome and charming, but there was something that the man had just said that bugged him. He "didn't keep track of his own health"? What on earth could that possibly mean?

Wait...

It seemed to hit Sho a little later than it should have, he knew that name. Not Atagi's, but Uzumaki. Of course, he knew them, they were minor celebrities insofar as intervillage politics went. Well, in fairness, Konoha always seemed to dominate more of the intervillage politics than he would like to admit, there was something about their Will of Fire that left them speaking as if naturally talking through a megaphone. But the Uzumakis were definitely part of that cultivated larger image.

A family without what one would traditionally consider Kekkei Genkai, by all rights they should have been somewhat normal. However, what they lacked in special abilities and unique skills they made up for with an almost absurd amount of chakra. They were essentially living batteries, stick four of them in a pit outside a village and you could power all the electronics there for a hundred years.

And, of course, high chakra quantity naturally encouraged rapid recovery from injury.

Sho's estimation of this guy went down sharply as he realised exactly what he meant. This dude wasn't just hot, he was a himbo. One of those idiots who thought that because they could recover quickly that gave them an excuse not to look after themselves in the first place.

If that was how this guy thought, Sho worried about his chances of surviving through the Chuunin exams. Every year there were one or two that wound up dead, and he worried that this guy might just be one of them soon enough.

"Riiight." Sho said, finally feeling a lot less pressure to avoid this guy's gaze. It was almost comforting; this guy was no longer some impeccable prince but an everyday dumbass. A dumbass with a cute face and a tight body, but a dumbass nonetheless.

Standing back up, Sho made eye contact with the allied Shinobi, holding himself a lot more casually all of a sudden.

"I wouldn't call myself a prince or anything - My family's not exactly the Senju, it's more like inheriting a family business, I guess. As for the cloud ninja... well, I'm glad our reputation proceeds us. Ever since the plague a few years back, it's kinda hard to be mean or too self-serious.

Having lived through a time when we might die any day, if we don't live each day like it might be our last there's a solid chance we could be missing out."

It was an awfully morbid way of explaining why everyone in Kumogakure was so likeable. Sure, he had dealt with his fair share of bullies across his life, but they were people who called him names or stuck their tongue out at him when he crossed the street.

Compared to what he had heard went down in Kirigakure just a few years previously, it was comparatively a paradise.

That said, the last thing the guy said genuinely aroused his interest. Though, he would probably have to preface it with a warning.

"Right, Atagi, before we do any medical exams, I really have to talk to you about what you just said - You said you don't keep track of your health?"

The way he said it, there was actual genuine concern in his voice. It was kind of weird to hear, they had only just met but the concern seemed anything but forced, as if it just came naturally. The kind of person who instinctively worried about others, whether he would admit it or not.

"I know you said you're an Uzumaki, and I know your clan heals quickly. But healing can only work if you have time for it to heal. If you get caught out, or someone surprises you, or you're being attacked by enemies like those from the Sound Village? You won't have time to regenerate, won't have time to heal.

You need to start taking your health seriously, before something happens that forces you too. Even an Uzumaki can't grow back an arm or a leg, you're not a lizard."

717 words |

Seimei Ken [Life Bond] 3/8
Jutsus Used: None
last edit by Yamamoto Shosuke on Oct 31, 2022 6:41:38 GMT -5
Counterproductive [Sho/Atagi]Oct 30, 2022 14:59:34 GMT -5
Uzumaki Atagi
Keep on keeping on.
Uzumaki Atagi Avatar
groupGrass Shinobi

The thumbs-up drops down into arms folded across his chest, offering simple nods or small 'okays' or 'yeahs' of affirmation as Shosuke spoke. It's not lost on him that the man seems much more relaxed, but not having realized what the problem was in the first place, Atagi assumes that it's a simple matter of the other boy just being stilted or nervous around someone new, and it's his immaculate aura of likability and confidence that's made him more comfortable. He had a way of warping most turns of events and phrases into something that was to his benefit, at least in terms of perception.

Some called it delusional optimism, he called it a matter of practicality.

Despite Shosuke's insistence that it wasn't all that impressive, it does little to dampen the opinion that Atagi's got of being the 'prince' of anything. When he goes about explaining just why the cloud shinobi are so darned likable, there's a series of nods given to re-affirm what he's saying. ”I'm right there with you on that one, yeah? Especially in our line of work-- don't take anything or anyone for granted.”

When the bifocal-adorned fellow starts chiding him for his lack of care and attention paid to the body, the incarnadine-haired man's eyes widen, before looking sidelong in a moment or three of embarrassment, left arm raising up for fingers to scritch at the back of his neck. It's hard to deny how ridiculous it seems, especially when someone is so earnest about the seriousness of the issue at hand. Still, even before the cloud nin is finished with that stern warning that seems like it should be accompanied by a finger-waggling, aureate eyes renew themselves with confidence and settle themselves back at Shosuke's features, and rest there. He has to resist the urge to start shouting about how cool it would be, though, if he had a lizard-like regeneration ability.

”It seems I've had the fortuitousness to meet someone oddly reliable, yeah? You've got the earnestness for health that I'd hope is present in all physicians, shinobi or otherwise. Diligent, serious, sense of ethic, a caring soul...” Pausing, Atagi touches the tip of his index finger inbetween his lower lip and chin, seeming intensely thoughtful for all of about four seconds, then lets it tip towards Shosuke. ”You must be popular with girls, yeah?” Tongue pokes out just barely past his teeth in a playful expression, the start of a chuckle tumbling from his throat without ever getting fully rolling.

Face softens, and he actually addresses the concern itself, instead of dancing around it. ”You're right, though. Even if I am s'posed to be the hero, I think I've learned by this point in my life that I'm not one of the invincible ones. But I'm pretty damned close, I think!” It simply wouldn't be him, if he didn't add some sort of boastful caveat like that, even if he had shared a moment of seriousness and clarity with his new associate.

()
aeron at thq
Counterproductive [Sho/Atagi]Oct 31, 2022 6:41:12 GMT -5
Yamamoto Shosuke
Yamamoto Shosuke Avatar
groupCloud Shinobi
If Sho had known even an inch of what was going on in Atagi's head, he would have wondered if this guy needed psychological screening. His enthusiasm and genuine interest were infectious, but the way that he twisted everything into being the best positive version of itself seemed like it belied a potential threat.

What if that interfered with his thinking on a mission? What if he took an opponent too lightly because of his hero complex? It would definitely have worried him, if only he knew about it in the first place.

"Riiight." Sho responded, somehow certain that this boy had taken the wrong end of the stick of his advice. If all he was taking in was that you shouldn't take anything or anyone for granted then he was missing the more important issue - Yes, the only one you could completely rely on was yourself, but sometimes you couldn't even do that. Genjutsu, poison, sedatives, all sorts of things could make one's body betray them. But that wasn't even the main point of his argument.

The world was a cruel place, and there were all sorts of injuries one could get that wouldn't heal, even for an Uzumaki. You had to be able to take care of yourself, to prioritise your health, or else you were a ticking timebomb. What if you hurt your ankle and then only found out how bad it was when it broke during a mission?

It was an extreme example, but that was the life of a Shinobi - they lived their lives in extremes, and denying that? Painting over everything with a more heroic, beautiful brush? That was just asking for trouble.

Those were all things that he would have liked to have said, would have liked to hammer home on this dopy, grinning, annoyingly handsome, distractingly charismatic... on this idiot. But then he went and said THAT of all things.

Immediately, Sho's face shot back to being a violent shade of vermillion, even more intense than it had been earlier. It was obvious, from the way it crossed his pale cheeks to the way even his ears seemed to light up. This HAD to be intentional, right?

"N-no, actually." Sho murmured, looking to the side, his eyes downcast as Atagi said that. "Until recently, I used to work full shifts at hospitals and clinics all around my village. If any of the people there took a liking to me it would be illegal, let alone immoral. As for girls my own age, I don't actually know any."

That was a slight lie, he knew Hana, or at least knew of her. They hadn't exactly had a lot of time to bond, let alone develop anything close to what Atagi was suggesting. Sure, there was Azarea, but she was out of his league by several notches. He was aware of that much at least.

Back to the point, however. "That's the problem - You can't seem to leave it at "Not invincible", you immediately try to add that you're damned close. You're a Genin, Atagi, same as me. There are people out there in the world whose power makes us look like ants comparatively. You're not 'nearly invincible'. You're vulnerable, just like every other Genin, just like me."

That was a moment of weakness. Sho had been entirely honest and earnest so far, but this was the first time that he was admitting to a vulnerability. The fact that he mentioned himself in the list of those who were vulnerable showed a moment of genuine weakness, albeit one used to try and illustrate his point to the other Shinobi.

"Now, I'm going to see if I can't give you some sort of physical, alright? Just to make sure this cavalier attitude of yours hasn't done untold amounts of damage."

Reaching his middle and index finger out, he pressed it into the middle of Atagi's chest and sent out a wave of chakra throughout his body, like an on-the-spot x-ray, looking for any zones of trauma or injuries that hadn't healed correctly.

Though he would never wish further injuries on his patients, part of him wished that there was something explicitly wrong, so that he would have something to illustrate his point. If he had just gone on a tangent about how this guy was far from invulnerable and he came back healthy, Sho could hardly imagine the embarrassment.

734 words |

Seimei Ken [Life Bond] 4/8

Jutsus Used: 
NAME: Ikkou Gazou
CHAKRA USAGE: Very Low
CLASSIFICATION: Ninjutsu [Medical]
ELEMENT: -
HANDSEALS: 0
REQUIREMENT: Chakra Control SA
DESCRIPTION:
Developed before more advanced medical technologies were around this is a technique where one is capable of creating a incredibly accurate 3-D mental image of a target's internals. Similar to a palpation exam, the physician is capable of performing this by pressing their index and middle fingers against a target and releasing a simple wave of chakra where they then mentally map everything the chakra comes into contact with with precision detail. While this technique is considered far more accurate than many modern technologies is it only useful for the user and is only as good as their knowledge. User can map out around 1ft diameter around the area of contact.
Counterproductive [Sho/Atagi]Nov 3, 2022 17:25:37 GMT -5
Uzumaki Atagi
Keep on keeping on.
Uzumaki Atagi Avatar
groupGrass Shinobi

When the explanation is given about why exactly it was that the good doctor wasn't, in fact, popular with girls, Atagi almost feels bad for saying anything at all, especially because Sho's looking away all sheepish and blushing. Of course, he hadn't known the other man's prior profession up until that moment, but it made sense from an ethical perspective that a doctor-type couldn't be going around having romances with his patients. When he mentions 'girls his own age', Atagi instantly thinks of two others from the Hidden Cloud-- Hana and Azarea, just as he does. The former being a cute as sin half-fox half-girl and the latter being a bombshell and literature enthusiast, the Uzumaki briefly tries to imagine either of them paired up with show on a date, and finds himself briefly bemused. Would either of them take a liking to him? Even if not, contrasts were always great fun.

The sheer sincerity and intensity in Shosuke's next series of statements clasps about his ankle, yanking him from those visions high above and setting him back down to the ground of the here-and-now. The sternness of the kindhearted cloud nin's tone brought a twinge of humility forth even from Atagi, reminded of scoldings he had gotten as a child from teacher, parent, and caretaker alike about having such a devil-may-care attitude about his own body. Still, just the same as it did then, it passes, and he gives his chest a small but decisive thump, pride shining through.

”Humans are fragile, fine, I get it, yeah? But those people that make us look like ants are humans too-- and we're never gonna get there if we're not constantly pushing our own limits, rewriting our own pages, breaking down our bodies to build them back up stronger- have a little romance, Sho! There are things you can only see from the top of the mountain.” The unspoken end of his declaration, 'and I'll climb it even if it tears my body to shreds', is evident shortly enough.

He blinks rapidly as the medical jutsu is used on him, looking down at Sho's slender fingers planted against his own firm chest, thinking to himself that the other man was either born for surgery or to play the piano. As the wave of chakra expands throughout his body, bouncing around and mapping out his insides, bones, musculature and all, a few things become readily apparent. The first is that many of his bones have the characteristic 'bumps' that come from when a bone fractures or breaks and heals over-- there's a small indenture in his left collarbone where there was one, his nose has obviously been busted more than once, and his forearms and shins both had evidence of past splints and stress fractures both. Thankfully, he's got none that are so severe at the moment. His muscles have evidence of being overworked for the day (and are probably sore), the tendons of his left wrist(the one he keeps clutching and rotating)are extended and worked to the point that he's practically due for a sprain. His chakra is also getting down to the bottom of the barrel levels-- for someone who had intimate knowledge or understanding of such things, he was about fourty minutes of continued jutsu usage away from being all out.

Atagi Uzumaki, of course, is completely unaware of this, in a paradoxical manner for someone who was so attuned with his body when it came to moving it and making it do what he desired as any martial arts practitioner or taijutsu specialist should be. It's especially apparent from the way that he's looking at Shosuke with a cocked brow, as if to say 'told you so'. ”Well? I've gotta be close to the pinnacle of health, right?”

()
aeron at thq
last edit by Uzumaki Atagi on Nov 3, 2022 17:27:13 GMT -5
Counterproductive [Sho/Atagi]Nov 4, 2022 0:13:09 GMT -5
Yamamoto Shosuke
Yamamoto Shosuke Avatar
groupCloud Shinobi
It was rather telling that Atagi only imagined Sho with women, exposing a little blind spot the man had. It was true, gay relationships were still somewhat of a rarity, but to not consider them at all... well, perhaps Atagi wasn't quite as world-wise as Sho was. Who was one kidding, he wasn't any kind of wise whatsoever, but still.

There was something about Sho that made him come off that way to a lot of people. Though he was what some would call submissive to those who knew better than him, like the Kusa Lady or Azarea, when it came to people he felt he knew better than, he often had this tendency to come off as lecturing. As telling people how to act.

It was necessary for his job, of course, but they weren't always his patients. Even when he was just part of a team or even spending time with friends, this tendency happened.

Perhaps it would be better if he had the mindless acceptance and ability to go with the flow that Atagi had. After all, Atagi seemed someone who was genuinely happy, who could take life as it came and handle each new day as it happened.

In itself, there was a bit of wisdom, an almost zen-like acceptance of "shit happens". Even so, Sho couldn't help but be this way, it had been how he was raised and trained.

"I don't disagree, Atagi, but you've got to understand. Yes, in order to build muscle, we need to tear it first. But not all tears are repairable.

I'm not asking you never to tear anything, because that would involve standing still and a life stood still is a life wasted. I'm just asking you to tear muscle fibre, not ligaments.

Learn your limits, and even if you try to surpass them be mindful of where they lay. Because otherwise you're just going to get yourself hurt. A failure to plan is planning to fail."

Atagi was right to a certain degree - Everyone who was at the level of a Kage now had once been where they were. Even if they were a once in a generation genius, they weren't at the level they once were. Everyone needed time to grow stronger, like a flower. But flowers could be trampled underfoot, their stalks could break from excessive wind exposure, or they could be plucked by people and animals.

Regardless, those long, slender fingers of Sho's placed themselves against Atagi's chest and began their preliminary observation. The result was... well, it wasn't great, but it also wasn't the worst that he had ever seen.

It wasn't so much that the man was injured, more like he was going to get injured if he kept this up, like someone pulling blocks away from a Jenga tower. One wrong pull and the man would fall to pieces, and all before the Chuunin exam.

"Alright.... Well, I'm not going to be gentle with you: You're pretty bad." He said, before beginning to list his symptoms. Once he had done a rudimentary job explaining them, he then paused for a moment before adding.

"Look, Atagi, I think you need to stop. At least for today. You're an Uzumaki, you recover quickly, but you're going to need to stop before you have something you need time to recover from.

If you continue like you currently are, your body won't hold up pass the first round of the Exams, let alone to the finals. I'm sure you don't want to be known back in Konoha as the guy who collapsed in the first round from pre-exam exhaustion."

There were things he could do to mitigate, he knew, but those were only necessary if the man refused to stop. He could help, but that was taking a firm stance on something that could be fixed by something as simple as bed rest. All Atagi needed to do was be sensible.

Which, Sho realised immediately, meant he was probably going to have to intervene anyway.

669 words |

Seimei Ken [Life Bond] 5/8
Jutsus Used: See Last Post
Counterproductive [Sho/Atagi]Nov 4, 2022 4:53:50 GMT -5
Uzumaki Atagi
Keep on keeping on.
Uzumaki Atagi Avatar
groupGrass Shinobi

Sho was a wise one, that much Atagi became sure of, certain as the fact the sun set today and rise tomorrow. It became increasingly clear as they dialog that the other man isn't going to budge on the matter, and fiendishly stubborn as the Uzumaki was...well, not even he could argue when it came to something so obviously concrete. He might've often overestimated himself, yes, but not so much so that he'd outright reject someone giving him advice who had far more expertise than him in a particular field.

As the Yamamoto starts listing off all the things he's managed to botch up in just a single morning (or perhaps it was the product of days like this) the grass shinobi's expression falters for the first time, and he frowns pointedly, looking an awful lot like he simply doesn't want to believe that it's the case. That, or he's embarrassed that he failed to notice these things sooner. ”Ah, really? But that seems like such a waste!” he protests, at being told to stop for the day, gesturing upward at the sun high in the sky.

Something in him fully understands that Shosuke's assesment is correct, logical, and undeniable. The other, louder part of him suggests that if he can still move his body, then things must be fine. He works to try and find some sort of middle ground. ”Well, you're a doctor, right? And a shinobi doctor, no less. Maybe you've got something for that which ails me, so to speak?” There's a glimmer of hope in his eyes, Atagi clearly not understanding that the chance of his fellow genin knowing some sort of cure-all medical jutsu for what was honestly mostly a minor confluence of problems to be low.

()
aeron at thq
Counterproductive [Sho/Atagi]Nov 6, 2022 7:12:02 GMT -5
Yamamoto Shosuke
Yamamoto Shosuke Avatar
groupCloud Shinobi
If anything, that really was Sho's major Achilles' heel, that he was a stubborn and prideful individual. Though he was willing to bend on a lot of things, and though he would often play along with a joke even if he was the butt of it, he knew what he knew and when other people doubted it, there was nothing that could be done for them. If they disagreed, they were wrong, for he was right. That alone was inarguable and incontrovertible.

"Atagi..." his tone was stern, lecturing, almost more like that of a disappointed mother than a doctor. He had told the man everything that was wrong with him and even still he wished to continue? Was that that dogged perseverance, Sho wondered, or just insanity.

So many people refused to own up to their own weakness, to admit they had a limit, but this guy took it to a whole new level. Though, in its own way, he couldn't help but think that that was kind of charming.

So strong was this guy's will, so ironclad his determination, that even as he was being warned about his body being about to give out, he still continued to want to get stronger. Ironically, getting stronger in this case would probably involve bed rest, but he knew the man wouldn't accept that. He had only known him for all of ten minutes and that much was obvious to see.

"...Fine. I'll see what I can do." Sho murmured, finally giving in for what felt like the first time in his life. This was the first time he was going against the medical wisdom he had acquired, simply to help someone because he liked them.

"I am a fixer, I come to people once their problems have shown up, I'm not someone who has the ability to fix problems before they even start. Even so, perhaps there's something I can do."

The man's chakra levels were excessively low, he had probably been putting himself on full blast for quite some time now. People assumed that chakra naturally recovered overnight, but sometimes it took days, even weeks, to be back at full strength. Such was the drawback of running your engine at full burst for too long.

If the man's body naturally recovered, perhaps having more chakra to do so with would be enough to make him start to recover on his own.

There was a jutsu that he was aware of, that he had seen other people use, that he thought might be able to do wonders here. But it wasn't one he'd ever had cause to use before, so he was merely copying what he had seen his elders do.

It honestly might have been simpler if there had been hand signs that he could have prepared or something else, instead he had to simply concentrate and put his mind to the task.

Sho's hands moved out, pressing on either side of Atagi's head as his eyes closed for a second. It might have almost looked, close as they were, as if he was going to go in for a kiss as his face scrunched up in concentration, placing his own face mere inches away from the older shinobi's own.

"Apologies if this feels weird, I've never done this before...."

550 words |

Seimei Ken [Life Bond] 6/8

Jutsus Used
NAME: Seimei Ken [Life Bond]
CHAKRA USAGE: To Use: Very Low | To Maintain: Very Low
DESCRIPTION: This jutsu is for use in cases of severe chakra exhaustion. Though rare in normal circumstances use of chakra can prove to be deadly if signs of fatigue are ignored and exhaustion is allowed to occur. This jutsu transfers chakra into the recipient to stabilize them. The user forms the needed seals and placing their hands on either side of the patient's head. While maintaining contact the user concentrates on harmonizing their chakra to match the wavelength of the recipient's which allows the transfer. This can keep a comatose patient alive for the duration of the time it is used but if the jutsu is maintained for at least four posts, then the patient is considered stabilized and able to survive being taken to a hospital for further care.
last edit by Yamamoto Shosuke on Nov 6, 2022 7:12:24 GMT -5
Counterproductive [Sho/Atagi]Nov 7, 2022 7:13:20 GMT -5
Uzumaki Atagi
Keep on keeping on.
Uzumaki Atagi Avatar
groupGrass Shinobi

The glimmer of hope in Atagi's eyes blooms fully into a sparkle of elation as Shosuke relents, even if the agreement is only a murmur, and even that much is quickly qualified with an 'I'm a doctor, damnit, not a miracle worker!'. Inquisitive eyes blink, as the grass shinobi isn't so sure on what exactly to expect. As the cloud nin's fingers frame Atagi's face, palms pressed to his cheeks, he tilts his head slightly so their noses don't bump, when he gets close enough that he can feel the Yamamoto's breath tickle at his face, when he speaks.

It's an oddly serene moment, for him, just the two of them there standing so close they could share breath. The man's lived alone for most of his young adult life, and isn't quite used to being just so plainly close with another human being. It felt...comfortable. Intimate. Even if the doctor was a stranger, and he should've been worried, the ever optimistic and trusting Uzumaki can't help but find it quite pleasant.

”It's...definitely abnormal. But I can't say I dislike it, yeah? Even if it's your first time, it doesn't hurt, or anything.” When Shosuke starts utilizing the jutsu to synch up their chakra signatures to transfer some over, he'd likely come to learn that the nature of Atagi's chakra was untamed, more like a tempest or a rapid then a breeze or a babbling brook. The hallmark of the type of person that never paid more attention when it came to focusing and controlling it more than was strictly necessary for particular jutsu or techniques.

Chest rises and falls slowly, the whimsical look on his face never quite leaving, all too happy to study Shosuke's features when they were close up, whether the other male's eyes stayed closed or not. ”You know, ah. I got the sense that you were a good guy, yeah? This just proves it, if you ask me. A more maliciously maligned sort would take advantage of this situation, to sabotage me. Or, hell, have just let me sabotaged myself, if what you say is true.” A brief pause, just to collect his thoughts, tongue poking out from his lips again this time, partly playful but also to moisten his own, as he continued to chatter away. He's noticeably quieted down, the closed proximity meaning quelling his tendency to yell, holler, shout, or just plain speak too raucously. ”And yet, here you are, sacrificing time and energy to help someone who could just as easily be a future enemy here at the exam. Or an ally, if we're lucky. I'd be happy to have someone like you handy for any stage of the tests ahead, I'd think.” A mirthful chuckle rises from him, though he works to ensure that he's not jostling his body too much, unsure of just how still he needs to be. Not quite knowing what to do with his hands, the left is propped at his hip, arm bent slightly, the right hanging freely. ”Does the technique work better with greater physical contact-- should I hold your hips, or sommat?” It's an honest enough query, but he doesn't act on those instinctual ideas without confirmation from the person with actual experience.

”And how long's this supposed to take? If it's awhile, I've always been a fan of stories, yeah? Tell me more about the enigmatic, kindhearted Yamamoto Shosuke. An ambition, or a dream-- maybe just what you're here in search of grasping, at the exams?” There's a tinge of genuine curiousness in his tone, ever eager to make connections and friends alike, and to learn about them, in kind.

()
aeron at thq
Counterproductive [Sho/Atagi]Nov 8, 2022 5:19:47 GMT -5
Yamamoto Shosuke
Yamamoto Shosuke Avatar
groupCloud Shinobi
Yeah, Sho should probably have thought this through more rigorously first.

Though Sho wouldn't like to admit it, he did have a tendency to get swept up in other people's emotions. His excitement against Saga's own, his concern and anger paired with Azarea's own, and now this quiet, intimate exchange.

Considering he had already noted just how attractive Atagi was, it would have been difficult getting this close to him in the first place, but now he was being so... so what? It was hard to tell. It was far from submissive, there was nothing submissive or subordinate about this man. Yet, he was compliant, peaceful, acquiescent for the first time since they'd met.

Which, Sho would note, was the exact opposite of his chakra.

Sho had been able to tell from the scan earlier just how weak and depleted this guy's chakra was. Considering that, the fact that what was remained roared like a lion, all but howling in his face like tornado winds was truly horrifying. He knew Uzumaki had an insane amount of chakra, but even so there was a difference between knowing and seeing firsthand.

The mere exposure caused a few beads of sweat to drip down his forehead, drawing lines of damp across his already straining face.

In comparison, Sho's chakra was tightly cropped; there was plenty of energy there, but all of it seemed constrained, contained, kept together. It was almost like a sphere of pure, dense energy, folded over itself again and again like a katana. It was precise, and deadly, though not exactly what you would call all-encompassing.

An outside observer might have found it a little comic that the one in charge of the other was the smaller, more petite energy.

Still, it seemed to do its job, almost plugging into Atagi's chakra and begin charging it like a battery. The sensation was strange, it felt intimate in a way that nobody would be able to properly describe. It was like their two bodies were temporarily one, as if they comingled on the most basic, atomic level.

"Don't be stupid..." he said, his voice quiet but determined. "In no way are you my enemy - You're from Konoha, our villages have been allies for years. Even were that not the case, there's something about you that makes you seem... pure, genuine, sincere.

Even were our villages enemies, I get the feeling you wouldn't think twice about helping others out, so it's only natural someone return the favor."

It was when Atagi started asking far more personal questions that Sho finally let go, pulling back, letting his hands fall from his head as he stepped away, suddenly thirsty for some personal space. He felt exposed, embarrassed, an experience he wasn't really used to, especially not to someone who might as well be a stranger.

"That... should be enough. If you were out for the count, I'd have to do it longer, but that should keep you from falling over for another day or two, as long as you don't overuse any jutsu.

Maybe practice your taijutsu or something for a while, try and remain chakra neutral as much as possible."

Sho was clearly embarrassed, his eyes looking away from the older boy and looking for anything that could act as a suitable distraction. Why did he have to get so personal? This had just been a medic doing his duty keeping someone safe, it hadn't had to turn into... this.

577 words |

Seimei Ken [Life Bond] 7/8

Jutsus Used

NAME: Seimei Ken [Life Bond]

CHAKRA USAGE: To Use: Very Low | To Maintain: Very Low

DESCRIPTION: This jutsu is for use in cases of severe chakra exhaustion. Though rare in normal circumstances use of chakra can prove to be deadly if signs of fatigue are ignored and exhaustion is allowed to occur. This jutsu transfers chakra into the recipient to stabilize them. The user forms the needed seals and placing their hands on either side of the patient's head. While maintaining contact the user concentrates on harmonizing their chakra to match the wavelength of the recipient's which allows the transfer. This can keep a comatose patient alive for the duration of the time it is used but if the jutsu is maintained for at least four posts, then the patient is considered stabilized and able to survive being taken to a hospital for further care.
Counterproductive [Sho/Atagi]Nov 10, 2022 5:14:34 GMT -5
Uzumaki Atagi
Keep on keeping on.
Uzumaki Atagi Avatar
groupGrass Shinobi

There's a twinge of disappointment that flashes at Atagi's features when Sho pulls away, a shadow of a frown and the beginnings of brows pulling together...but it fades as quick as it's come. It was nice to take a breather (or share one, in this case), but he's already holding his arms out at both sides, moving his hands in little circles at the wrist, eyes closed. ”Ah! It might just be placebo, but it does feel a bit better. As expected of a pro.” Keeping his right hand flat, he traces the tip of his middle finger from his forehead down to his nose, then over his chin to his chest, before finally setting at his belly, irises flitting up and to the left, then in the opposite direction, as if he was contemplating something. ”I suppose I expected to feel warmer, though, or sommat.”

The grass nin is far from embarrassed, in contrast to Shosuke's barely-restrained fidgets and the more obvious glance off to one side. ”...also, I'm from Kusa, not Konoha, if that was unclear.” Again, he graces Sho with that whimsical poke of the tongue, withdrawing it to form a smile that goes all the way up to his eyes. ”All the same, though! We're functionally allies-- least, our villages have been working together lots, as of late.” Turning on his heels, he shadowboxes some invisible enemy, already eager to test just how much more he could get away with before ending up in the same ol' exhausted state that he was before. Seeming satisfied, he plants both of his hands at his hips, then inclines his head towards the other boy once more, raising a single brow.

It said a lot that the bullheaded Uzumaki had even so much as considered compromising, but, well. Even if their meeting was a short one, he had already found himself holding the medic-nin in high regard. Both suddenly and sharply, he thrusts his index finger out towards the Yamamoto. ”If a doctor's telling me to take it easy for the day, though-- I promise I'll go easier than I usually do, yeah? I'll even go to bed early, if you really think that's what's best. While a little piece of you's still mingled with me, at least, I think it'd be irresponsible to go spending your chakra wantonly.” It was a roundabout way of putting it, but if the tone that Atagi took was any indication, it made so much sense that it was inarguable. That pointing arm jerks back, thumb tossed over his shoulder haphazardly. ”Anyway, I'm burning daylight! But it was a gross pleasure to make your acquaintance, Doc of the Hidden Cloud. I owe you one, so if there's anything you need from an amazing guy like yours truly, don't hesitate to ask! I'm stayin' in Room xXx, same hotel that I'm pretty sure all the competitors are using.”

He might give the other boy a few moments to spit out his own farewell in turn-- but not much longer than that before he's dashing off back towards the training grounds, ever-eager to batter himself against the cliffs and shoals of self-improvement and training.

()
aeron at thq
Counterproductive [Sho/Atagi]Nov 15, 2022 19:28:20 GMT -5
Yamamoto Shosuke
Yamamoto Shosuke Avatar
groupCloud Shinobi
Warmer, huh?

Sho smiled back at the older shinobi, shaking his head softly. "Well, I don't know what to tell you there. I don't have fire chakra, so that might be why it's so cold."

He wasn't sure how to feel about being told that his chakra was cold - He didn't have ice release or anything, he wasn't even from Yuki, so there was a part of him that felt kind of embarrassed. He wasn't sure why, it wasn't like it was an actual insult, but it felt like he had somehow inadvertently failed a test that wasn't actually a test at all. It was irrational, but hey, that's human emotions for you.

Still, there was something comforting about how the man seemed to be immediately going back into training mode, his body not content to rest even after being advised so. The man seemed indefatigable, and for a moment Sho could just imagine what kind of man Atagi would turn into given enough time.

One day, he was sure, this man would do something great. He wasn't quite sure what, but whatever it was it would leave a mark on the world. Or, at least, that's how it felt in the moment. P

erhaps he was just getting caught up in the man's splendour, his optimism and sincere dream-chasing nature managing to worm at least a little bit of its way into his heart.

"Actually, going to bed early may not be the brightest idea in the world - People don't talk about this enough, but the most important part is managing to build a routine.

If you go to sleep too early, it might damage your circadian rhythms and cause your internal systems to struggle. If you're used to going to bed late and waking up later, that'd probably be what I'd suggest, at least until you're back at full strength."

It was weird to hear such a suggestion coming from a doctor, but then there was a reason why bed rest was so commonly granted as a remedy. People would heal in time, and the Uzumaki would heal more than most. That was all the boy needed to have, time to get ready. A commodity Sho couldn't help but feel he had staggeringly little of.

Then, before he could really say anything else, the boy had just given him his hotel room number and ran off, leaving Sho to himself for a moment.

Was he just invited back to that guy's room?

He wondered about this for a moment, considering the implications, especially considering the way that Atagi had been speaking and his first impressions of him... before shaking his head and turning away. He doubted that was what the boy meant, and even if it was, now wasn't the time for that sort of thing.

He had more work to do.

473 words |

Seimei Ken [Life Bond] 8/8
Jutsus Used: None

quick reply

compose a reply