The Merchant's Daughter [Sora]

compose a reply
The Merchant's Daughter [Sora]Jun 17, 2023 16:27:17 GMT -5
Sora Minami
"You cannot cage a storm."
Sora Minami Avatar
groupMist Shinobi
age 33 years old birthday December 23rd rank Jounin occupation Genin Team 1 Leader
Uemon’s answer was… nuanced. More so than Sora had expected, even from a kindred soul. She could see it in his hesitation, the way his shoulders tensed at being called a Shinobi. He was a killer, trained by killers in a world that rewarded killing with the power to kill more people in ever more spectacular ways, and yet. He didn’t want to be a Shinobi. Didn’t want the responsibility of being a part of that system to fall on his shoulders. She could understand that, in a way. She had done something similar for years, hiding behind her orders, her role, her mask as a Hunter-Nin. In the end, none of it had kept the screams at bay.

"My name is Sora. And no, you’re not ‘just’ anything. Not anymore." She said when the boy stopped, his face half-turned towards her. It was time, sadly, for Uemon to hear something harsh, but true. For both of them to hear it, really. "You’re a killer. Just like me. Just like the rest of the Shinobi world. You’ve taken lives, some of whom may not have deserved it but died anyway because they were in the way.”

"What we do, it's not… it's not right." Her words came out in a whisper, soft and sad and colder than steel, but rose quickly, louder and louder with each syllable. "We shouldn’t have to force children to fight and die for the mistakes of other people. For the grudges of other people! It’s more than just wrong, Its-!" Sora, closed her eyes, unable to finish. To voice what she was true, even if her mouth wasn’t ready to speak it.

It’s evil.

The Jounin took a breath, steadying herself as her Sensei had taught her. Find the calm. Be the center of the storm, the eye around which the fury must rotate. Draw it in, and only unleash it when and where it is needed. A mantra she had lived by for the last twenty years now. When the tempest inside her had at last receded, Sora spoke again, voice calm and focused. A Shinobi once more.

"I’m sorry."

Exousia has written 491 posts
The Merchant's Daughter [Sora]Jun 18, 2023 2:42:51 GMT -5
Muramasa Uemon
By any means.
Muramasa Uemon Avatar
groupWandering-Nin
age 19 years old birthday July 21st rank B-Rank occupation Swordsmith

reflection of self

Trepidation. Anguish. In her voice was a maelstrom of emotion. Repressed, even muted like his own feelings so often were. But they were there. He knew it because he'd sounded the same on occasion. A steely fury...

...lying in wait just beneath the surface. Uemon remained silent as the woman spoke. Minami Sora, a shinobi of Kirigakure no Sato who felt conflicted about her duties. It was more than he could say for many ninja he'd met. No care nor concern for the lives they'd taken. Self-righteous in their acts of violence. Conscienceless murderers.

Not her though. Once she was finished he was silent for a time. Until he finally spoke up. "No." He shook his head. Turning fully to face her. Expression subdued... but sullen. "Don't apologize... you're right." She was.

All of his training had prepared him to do what need be done. But it wasn't until he watched the life drain from that first man's eyes that he had committed to this path. He was a killer. "It's unconscionable." Uemon said quietly, not much more than a mutterance. "Wicked. Inhuman." His face grew grim as he thought on his past actions.

And those still yet to come. "In my homeland, samurai training starts at the age of three." Bushidō had to be studied early. To prepare them. Or as he saw it— indoctrinate them into a cycle of endless war.

Meaningless violence. "No child should be forced to kill. To die." He said. Eyes lowering to the ground as he ruminated on the subject. It was tragic. "And it's the same with ninja." Bloody squabbles amongst lords were commonplace. As normal as feuds between Hidden Villages. Many thousands of young people died each year. 

For no reason at all. "The world would probably be a better place without people like us in it..." It was a truth he had to grapple with many times. His family supplying weapons of war, his own quest for vengeance... the Muramasa had certainly left their mark. And it wasn't a good one. "...but I can't right every wrong. Only one."

Realizing he'd said too much, he paused. Growing quiet. So far this relative of his had proved interesting but what would she think of him if she knew of his aim? What he'd have to do? Perhaps she would understand...

Though it was too soon to speak of such things. "...have you ever thought of doing anything else?"

last edit by Muramasa Uemon on Jun 19, 2023 14:08:43 GMT -5
Yenga has written 624 posts
The Merchant's Daughter [Sora]Jun 18, 2023 20:11:30 GMT -5
Sora Minami
Sora Minami Avatar
groupMist Shinobi
age 33 years old birthday December 23rd rank Jounin occupation Genin Team 1 Leader
Uemon spoke and, for once, Sora was prepared for what he said. She had thought much the same before, had even spoken of it to herself, but she had never met anyone who she thought would agree with her way of thinking. Not even Ikana, who she saw as a little sister. She was young, yes, but broken, torn apart by the things that had happened to her and in desperate need of someone to call a friend. She had become that person, had built something with the girl- but care and affection could only go so far. She couldn’t trust Ikana with something like this, something so subversive to the way things worked. She was already being watched for her mistake in the Chuunin exams, but add this? The girl would be lucky to get her head cut off.

But Uemon? He was no one. Just a wandering Shinobi from Tetsu no Kuni. A relative of hers, yes, however distant. If she couldn’t trust him, after what he had just said, who could she trust?

"...No. Not seriously, anyway." She whispered once Uemon was finished, shaking her head. Because it was true; she hated the way things worked, hated how children fought and bled and died for a place that cared nothing for them, that had no remorse or sympathy or feeling beyond the brainwashed love of clan and village and country. But she wouldn’t give up her life as a Shinobi to change it. Because she needed those skills. That power. Wanted it, deep down.

"I know what you mean, about not being able to right every wrong." She couldn’t fix the world. Couldn’t change the system. But she could change Kiri. She could make things better, different. The way wasn’t clear on how just yet. But every time she met someone like Kuni, every time she met someone like Uemon, that path came into focus a little more.

"There are things in my own village I wish were different. Things I wish I had done differently." Going back for her Sensei. Killing the Kaguya who had started the entire thing. All those dead civilians in the Civil War. "But wishing doesn’t change anything. And killing the people who hurt me, who killed my family, my Sensei, my team… it didn’t fix things. It just made it hurt more."

Sora looked at the young man then, her sky blue gaze soft and understanding despite the emotion that flowed between them. Because she understood. That burning wrath. The raging storm inside, the need to destroy those who had done such wrongs. Who had killed and slaughtered and destroyed without mercy. Like a mandate from the heavens, built into their very soul.

"Try to remember that when you find them."

The Merchant's Daughter [Sora]Jun 19, 2023 21:55:03 GMT -5
Muramasa Uemon
By any means.
Muramasa Uemon Avatar
groupWandering-Nin

a correspondence

Silence. The least he could offer to the woman as he listened. Her words were deliberate. Well thought out. Perhaps it was in their blood? Iemitsu had been a mindful man, and his father Zaemon before him. But then again...

...his brother Ouzane could be a bit dense at times. Probably had more to do with upbringing. Schooling. As most things did. Uemon nodded as Sora spoke. Never having thought of doing anything else. Another thing he could relate to. His own path was set in stone the day his father died. All these years and his will hadn't faltered.

Not even for a second. A feverish drive to see his mission through. At any cost. Sengo's madness may not have passed to him, but he certainly had a madman's persistence. One way or another the man responsible would fall.

If he had to as well? So be it. "..." The quiet grew deafening as she spoke of killing. A warning of the price of revenge. Had he worn it so plainly on his face? Maybe it was intuition. She was sharp. "...I'll keep that in mind."

All he said in response. It wasn't a lie... but he'd resigned himself to this endeavor long ago. Come too far. If he stopped now what would have been the point? No. He had to keep moving forward. Until his enemies lie dead.

Until his father could rest peacefully. Taking out his journal, he flipped to a blank page. Scrawling something down in pencil. "I want to give you this." He said, ripping off the bottom section. An address to a mailing facility in Hayashi no Kuni. Made out to one 'Masamune Fudo'. Clearly an alias. "If you ever need to reach me." As he handed it over his own gaze softened. "Or... if you just want to write." Reunions were often awkward... but this one had been a pleasant surprise. Not quite what he was expecting. Or what he had been told. But certainly not bad.

Not bad at all. "You have other family, too." Uemon continued on. "My sisters and brother... my mother doesn't share your blood but I'm sure she'd love to meet you." Any relative of Iemitsu would be welcome.

However distant. "Maybe we can help each other." To right some of those wrongs. Or with other matters. After all... what was family for? Uemon stared into her eyes. Being alone for so long... and then to reconnect with Yanosuke. And now her. It felt surreal. "So both of us can stop wishing... and make changes instead."

The Merchant's Daughter [Sora]Jun 20, 2023 13:09:42 GMT -5
Sora Minami
Sora Minami Avatar
groupMist Shinobi
Uemon seemed surprised when she spoke, the emotion flickering across his eyes before falling into that tight pit of control they seemed to share. A family trait, it seemed. He shouldn’t have been. She had borne the weight of vengeance on her shoulder for many years, first against the Kaguya who had killed her team, then the Daimyo's forces. She knew well the set of her cousin’s shoulders, the quiet, burning rage that simmered beneath the seemingly placid surface. A fire that would not go out until it saw its will done unto those that had ignited it, no matter the cost. A remnant, perhaps, of their shared ancestor’s mad drive for perfection. No, not even then.

That was who they were, deep down.

"I-" Sora said, trailing off as the young man hastily scribbled something on a piece of paper and handed it to her. An address. To write, if she wanted to. And not just him, but others. Real, living people who would write back. Who she could get to know. She clutched the paper tight, screwing her eyes shut, feeling the tears forming but refusing to let them fall. She had to be strong. Not just in front of her cousin, but for herself. Because she broke down now… she’d never come back.

"Thank you." Her voice was soft again, cracked and trembling- but she didn’t break. She managed to fold the paper into a neat square and slide it into a small pocket on the inside of her flak jacket, only opening her eyes when the paper was secure and safe. "I’ll write. I promise." No matter how much it costs. Because that was what family did.

The Merchant's Daughter [Sora]Jun 20, 2023 23:29:29 GMT -5
Muramasa Uemon
By any means.
Muramasa Uemon Avatar
groupWandering-Nin

distant as they both may be

Choked speech. He knew what that meant. Emoting wasn't easy for him... and he could tell that it was the same for her. Not wanting to draw attention to it, he simply nodded. "Of course..." Then, after a second. "Cousin."

It sounded strange coming from his mouth. When was the last time he'd even seen any of his cousins? Before his clan's exile surely. But now he had another. Older. Thoughtful. An odd feeling welled up within... relief, maybe. But like the others he tried to pay it little mind. Last thing they needed was the both of them to start sobbing...

...though a faint half smile had formed on his lips unbeknownst to him. Soon, he was scribbling down another address. "My—" He paused. "Our family is in Sake no Kuni. Here's their address as well." Another tear as he handed it over. "You may have heard... but the Muramasa clan is no longer welcome in Tetsu no Kuni."

Clearly there was a story there. "I'll tell you about what happened sometime. It's..." Not good was the implication. Uemon took a moment to compose himself. "It's a lot. Too much to get into right now."

Daylight still shone on the isle, but his time was short. "I wish I could stay... but I have a child to get back to."

As the words left his mouth he paused. Surprise in his eyes. Realizing how it must have sounded he promptly shook his head. Only slightly flustered. "I mean... he's not mine. I only look after him." Clearing his throat awkwardly he gripped the sageo that his sword was slung by and adjusted it. "I'm sure he'd be happy to meet you too."  

The boy wasn't the most welcoming to strangers... but if he knew she was family, he'd be fine. Probably. His mind raced. Not wanting to leave with anything important unsaid. "We're staying in Amegakure for the time being. If you're ever in the area you should visit." It was a precarious arrangement. One that could be revoked any day.

Regardless, he would keep in contact. "Either way, we'll look forward to your letters." Uemon hesitated for a moment, wondering how he should go about leaving. Then he extended a hand out towards Sora for a shake.

Did people hug in these kinds of situations? He wasn't sure... but his face now held a slight warmth. A rarity.

The Merchant's Daughter [Sora]Jun 21, 2023 10:21:13 GMT -5
Sora Minami
Sora Minami Avatar
groupMist Shinobi
Sora heard the words Uemon spoke, but in truth she wasn’t really listening. Her thoughts ran at a million miles an hour, flitting from one speck of an idea to the next, too scattered and emotional to focus. He spoke more about their family, about relocating and issues and not being welcome, but she digested none of it, her mind still caught up in the fact that this was real. She had a family. Real, flesh relatives who she could talk to and write and who might finally give her a reason to-

Wait. What?

"...You have a child?" Sora asked, instinctively stowing the second piece of paper away. Her thoughts stilled at the question, gaze narrowing slightly as she stared down at the younger man. He wasn’t much older than Ikana, yet he was taking care of a young boy. Gallivanting with said boy all across the world while he hunted down whoever it was had wronged him. And he had left him. Alone. In the middle of a foreign country known for its aggressive wildlife.

"I’d very much like to meet this… boy." She said, lips pursed in a thin line as she stared down at her cousin. At his offered hand. There was a pause, pregnant and tense, as she weighed shaking that hand- and then, with a sigh, she did, her grip firm but not crushing. It wasn’t fair to judge the man off of a single comment, no matter how much her instincts wanted her to.

"I will." Ame was an ally, after all, even if they were a thousand times less friendly to strangers than even the most uptight Kiri-nin. "I might even bring my Genin, if I can swing it with the Mizukage." It would be difficult, but not impossible. Toru had proven surprisingly reasonable about family matters, after all. She let his hand go then, her own face split in a soft smile- a mirror of Uemon’s own, however different they might be. And then, with a single hand seal and a burst of dust, she left, vanishing into the mist, her final words like laughter upon the wind.

"See you around… cousin."