The Final Step [Graduation Exam]

compose a reply
The Final Step [Graduation Exam]Jul 4, 2023 0:04:51 GMT -5
Hyūga Hitomi
Nindo Goes Here: Edit Profile > Personal > Most Recent Status
Hyūga Hitomi Avatar
groupLeaf Shinobi
age 25 years old birthday 21st March rank Special Jounin occupation Academy Instructor

Hyūga Hitomi

Upon arriving to the Academy, Uchiha Dame would find her usual instructor handing her a small note telling her to go to the smallest training ground in the Academy, a place usually reserved for one on one training, whether remedial or advanced. Upon arrival, the young Uchiha would find herself in the small courtyard-like training ground with a single figure dressed in pale green.

Hyūga Hitomi was kneeling calmly on a straw filled cushion with all the poise and grace expected of someone of her clan and position, grey eyes closed as she waited for the young student to arrive. Upon the student's arrival, she would gesture to another cushion across from her, eyes opening to look at the Uchiha calmly.

"Come Dare-kun, take a seat. I hope you don't mind me calling you as such, I had heard you preferred that to the name on file," Hitomi queried, seemingly unconcerned with the fact that her pupil for the moment went by something different. She hadn't wanted to use the name that was disliked, but wasn't quite sure if she had the right to use the preferred name either. A tricky situation for someone trained as strictly as she was in noble courtesies.

Once Dare had sat down, Hitomi would continue, "if you weren't aware, you have been nominated for graduation from the Academy. I have been chosen to be your assessor for this. We'll start with a few questions to feel out your mental capabilities, then have a small taijutsu spar, and wrap things up with a demonstration of some of the core jutsu you need to know to graduate. Maybe we can put those into the spar though if you would rather. Any questions so far?" 

The older shinobi waited calmly to see how the Uchiha responded.

Word Count: 299
Tags:
last edit by Hyūga Hitomi on Jul 4, 2023 0:05:22 GMT -5
Eleri has written 79 posts
The Final Step [Graduation Exam]Sept 29, 2023 11:08:02 GMT -5
Daredemo
Anybody can be a shinobi, only some can be a ninja.
Daredemo Avatar
groupLeaf Shinobi
age 14 years old birthday April 2nd rank Genin occupation Team 3
DaREDEmO
Uchiha
    The moment the note entered her palms Daredemo knew what was coming. Her mind began to run with a slew of possibilities that would come her way after she succeeded today. It was important in Daredemo's mind that she only spoke in absolute's about this. It was not an if, it never had been. It was only ever a "when" and the when was now today. It caused many in the Academy to see Daredemo do something they had never once seen from her before: smile.

When Daredemo emerged into the courtyard she quickly recognized Hitomi. Not from actually having met properly, but it was rather hard to not know the teachers at the academy. Daredemo had been in trouble with most of them at one point or another for a whole litany of reasons that she had lost track of. 

Still, she took a bow to the instructor before kneeling down across from her. "It's about time, I've been waiting for you guys to call me in here." patience had never been a virtue that Daredemo was known for, so of course the girl would have a bit of a chip on her shoulder entering the room. 

Daredemo simply shrugged at the mention of their name. At this point it was hard expressing the desire to use it exclusively. She had done so with Miroru and Itsuki but event that had taken months of warming up to them. The questions about the test for today were what interested Daredemo far more. 

"I don't know if I can spar and show the jutsu. I've taken to using a blade. I want to learn how to do seals with one hand however, but I don't think I'm far enough along yet."
last edit by Daredemo on Oct 2, 2023 13:49:43 GMT -5
Tuturu has written 209 posts
The Final Step [Graduation Exam]Oct 2, 2023 5:53:27 GMT -5
Hyūga Hitomi
Hyūga Hitomi Avatar
groupLeaf Shinobi
age 25 years old birthday 21st March rank Special Jounin occupation Academy Instructor

Hyūga Hitomi

The Hyūga didn't really respond to the girl's assumption that she was going to graduate early, though internally she was frowning slightly. Arrogance wasn't a great sign, and she worried about every gifted student that they sent out into the world early, would they learn caution or become a casualty? Still, she had a job to do, and an image to maintain, and so she simply nodded slightly at the response.

"That's ok Dare-kun, we aren't expecting you to show off anything new, just that you have the basic ninjutsu and taijutsu requirements to complete move on to being a Genin, as well as some final data for team placement and the like. Your endeavours for kenjutsu and one handed seals will absolutely be valuable in the field, but they're beyond what we need to see here, doing your jutsu the standard way is sufficient."

At that, Hitomi reached for a scroll and pen, looking through the questions that needed to be answered prior to successful graduation. Daredemo had successfully completed all the required coursework to the appropriate grades, and already completed a number of aptitude tests to provide data for her projected pathway, the only one that was left was a simple question.

"Is there a particular role you wish to fill as you progress through your career? By that I mean specific position, overall direction of missions you would prefer to take, and so on. We have the data on what you have demonstrated here in the Academy, but before that information goes further, we would like to know your own preference."

Once the girl had answered, Hitomi would get to her feet and gesture to the rest of the training ground, "Now we will go through the practical portion of the exam, you are to attack me with taijutsu and utilise the Bunshin, Kawarimi, and Henge jutsu in the process. I will defend only, not attack. Any questions?"

The ground itself was large enough for a one-on-one match so long as there were no spectators, and it was generously covered with items that could be used for the substitution jutsu.

Word Count: 353
Tags:

The Final Step [Graduation Exam]Oct 2, 2023 13:48:59 GMT -5
Daredemo
Daredemo Avatar
groupLeaf Shinobi
DaREDEmO
Uchiha
    "I'm going to be the hokage," It was a similar statement to what Daredemo would have said a long time ago. And 'statement' was an important word to use, Daredemo didn't speak in wishes or wants, she spoke in what she would do, or die trying. Long ago she would have said that exact sentence out of simple bravado and cockiness. Today however, the reasoning had changed for the young one. What better way was there to say it than that. "I want to show the village that the Uchiha clan have changed, we're not the same people that we were before. We are ready to help bring the village together."

Yurai looked at Hitomi with a sense of pride. She was cocky, she knew that. She had always bee cocky, but she was cocky with good reason this time. She wanted to improve things for herself, for Miroru, for everyone in the Uchiha, and she saw being Hokage as the best way to do that. She didn't care if people took it the wrong way, the wrong she would have meant it so recently.

"I realize that's not exactly what I'll be doing immediately though," she figured the teacher would want a more practical answer. And Dame had one in fairness. "Until then, I know that I have the ability to develop my clans sharingan, and I intend to. I think it's a tool that attunes me to work in the Anbu. It's what my brother did. It's what I plan to do as well."

Daredemo would follow suit, raising to her feet and looking across the battlefield. Hitomi had the byakugan, the same way Shigure had right? The clone technique wouldn't do much good since the Hyuuga were able to see through them. But she had to use it anyways right? Three hand-seals. Three clones. Four Daredemo in total. However Daredemo themself would chose to use the puff of smoke to dash off to the right. Daredemo wasn't sure how the byakugan worked, maybe if she didn't have time to activate it the student could catch the master off guard?
last edit by Daredemo on Oct 2, 2023 13:49:25 GMT -5
The Final Step [Graduation Exam]Oct 4, 2023 0:26:34 GMT -5
Hyūga Hitomi
Hyūga Hitomi Avatar
groupLeaf Shinobi

Hyūga Hitomi

Noting down the answers given to her by the Uchiha, Hitomi didn't react to the declaration that she was going to be Hokage. It was a common enough goal amongst young Shinobi, and one that the truly driven worked hard to achieve. Even if they didn't make it that far, they could reach their potential if their will was strong enough. And her desire to show her clan's best side... well, that was a sentiment that Hitomi shared as well for her own, so she could empathise.

"ANBU pathway, stealth and infiltration, combat and assassination, retrieval and guarding, sabotage and counter-terrorism. It's a lot to pick up, but I'm sure that you will find your way there," was the instructor's only real response to Daredemo's more practical answer, as she noted it down.

As the sparring portion of the exam began, Hitomi didn't activate her Byakugan, it would be counterproductive at this point. Instead she settled into an easy ready stance, waiting to see what the younger kunoichi would do. Three clones appeared shortly after beginning, with Hitomi noting down everything from handseal speed to detail of the bunshin, her eyes scanning from one to the next to see if there were any flaws beyond the standard ones inherent to the technique.

It was clever for Daredemo to use the smoke to disguise her movements, but it was easy enough for someone of Hitomi's experience to spot the real student amongst her clones. Still, it was obviously up to the expected standard for an Academy graduate, though... she began to move forward, not making any motion to attack, but intending to get a more thorough look at the clones as well as bait Daredemo to attack.

So far so good though.

Word Count: 291
Tags:
The Final Step [Graduation Exam]Oct 4, 2023 16:00:06 GMT -5
Daredemo
Daredemo Avatar
groupLeaf Shinobi
DaREDEmO
Uchiha
    It was strange not getting a response for her grand dreams. She had always been used to scoffs or eye rolls when she proudly told people she would be the Hokage one day. It was in some ways nice to have someone who seemed to view her goal as something normal. Something achievable. It was a feeling the girl had so very rarely had of actually being listened to. The responses to her wanting to be Anbu, well those were to be expected. Just talking about the skills that Daredemo would need to acquire for that particular job. Both responses were admirable to the young one.

Assassination. A skill every Anbu needed in their repertoire. Daredemo went to the side, her clones "attacked" from ahead. Throwing feints meant to distract enough for Daredemo's next technique, which was a strange application of her knowledge. Two jutsu for the price of one, why not.

Daredemo was used to their large cloak at this point, so she was hoping this would work out properly. A dark cloak, a dark corner of the room, Daredemo would use the Cloak of Invisibility technique. Close enough to one of the various training logs. A kick sending it flying towards Hitomi as Daredemo formed the seals for the Body Replacement Technique in the cover of her cloak.

The Final Step [Graduation Exam]Oct 5, 2023 0:37:18 GMT -5
Hyūga Hitomi
Hyūga Hitomi Avatar
groupLeaf Shinobi

Hyūga Hitomi

Hitomi played along with the attacks of the clones, moving to avoid the attacks made even as she scanned them for any imperfections or issues, finding none. "Remember that Bunshin casts no shadows, and is intangible, generally it is not good to attack with one" she said, "but full marks, perfect Bunshin and a clever use of them." 

The Uchiha's use of cloak of invisibility was a good tactic too, if she hadn't seen the girl move into that corner and wasn't alert or aware that there was someone in the area, she probably would have overlooked it, which is exactly what you wanted for such a jutsu. The fact that Dare just carried a cloak as part of her regular attire made it a more useful technique for her as well.

The training log being kicked at her was rather unexpected, but she was able to slip aside to allow it to pass her by, tracking the projectile with her peripheral vision without focusing on it. It was not how she had anticipated seeing Kawarimi used, but it was clever, the question was, what would Dare do with it? There were a few choices, so Hitomi couldn't help but be curious as to which might be taken.

Word Count: 208
Tags:

The Final Step [Graduation Exam]Oct 5, 2023 10:46:14 GMT -5
Daredemo
Daredemo Avatar
groupLeaf Shinobi
DaREDEmO
Uchiha
    Daredemo was listening as Hitomi spoke. Clones can't attack, but she thought they would have at least partly worked for a diversion. It didn't seem to be doing what she expected though. Maybe that was just because of Hitomi's rank, but Daredemo really wanted to learn some of the stronger clone techniques. That was for future Daredemo to worry about however, for now the young kunoichi needed simply to carry forward showcasing the techniques she had learned in the academy. 

The log didn't seem to take much of Hitomi's vision, which was exactly what Daredemo was hoping for. Her eye stayed on the log, and as she dropped the cloak to spring off the wall she was standing in front of. As she pushed off the wall, raising an arm and feinting a large attack, she deactivated her clone technique, letting them clear in a large puff of smoke all around Hitomi. In a second poof of smoke Daredemo completed her body replacement and swapped places with the flying log, suddenly behind Hitomi. Daredemo would keep her strike going, now aiming for the back of Hitomi. 

When someone was clearly the physical superior, diversions and strange angles of attack were the name of the game, so making sure that she was constantly bobbing and weaving to different locations was always important. Equally important was masking ones movements. Daredemo was hoping she had done both well here.

The Final Step [Graduation Exam]Oct 6, 2023 8:13:50 GMT -5
Hyūga Hitomi
Hyūga Hitomi Avatar
groupLeaf Shinobi

Hyūga Hitomi

Eyebrows raised slightly as the clones were suddenly dispersed, filling the area with smoke, and that was Hitomi's sign to move. It was a clever tactic, and one she mentally added to her notes on the girl, even as she moved in a swirl of green skirts, the student finding her strike hitting nothing but the fabric of her instructor's clothing.

"A skilled opponent can read the movement of smoke and mist as well as you or I could see in broad daylight," she stated as she moved, "Kirigakure shinobi in particular are well practiced in such things. An excellent tactic for what you have at hand, but be aware of its shortcomings." Hitomi was offering some of the last advice she could before Daredemo moved on to her Genin team. There wasn't a doubt in the Hyūga's mind that the Uchiha would pass, it was only a matter of whatever last little snippets of advice she could put forward.

"Masking your attack, striking unexpectedly, a good tactic. I would suggest aiming to appear behind and slightly to the dominant side of your opponent, rather than directly behind. Most will expect you to appear directly behind, and quite often people turn in such a way that their dominant side faces your previous position, meaning you have longer behind them. Of course, this depends on who you are facing," Hitomi explained, getting back into a ready stance and waiting for the smoke to clear or Daredemo to attack, whichever came first.

"Now, I would like you to attack me head on, show me your best attempt to strike me, while using henge. You don't need to hit me to pass, simply demonstrate sufficient grasp of taijutsu." 

Word Count: 285
Tags:

The Final Step [Graduation Exam]Oct 7, 2023 0:23:35 GMT -5
Daredemo
Daredemo Avatar
groupLeaf Shinobi
DaREDEmO
Uchiha
    The young student paid attention to each and every word that left Hitomi's lips. It made sense, certainly, but it was a lot of information to take in at once. It all seemed situational, Daredemo's strategy wasn't bad, certain elements needed to be refined but the actual logic was holding up well. It wouldn't always work, she'd need far more strategies than just the one, but Daredemo was aware of that. These tips were already filling the young shinobi's mind with more effective strategies. Many that Daredemo did not yet possess the abilities to take advantage of. At the same time however, Daredemo had more than enough confidence in their abilities to learn those necessary skills.

Moving on to Henge was also a logical step. It seemed as if whenever Daredemo was asked to use Henge though their thoughts always went to transformations they'd want. Transformations that could become permanent. If Hitomi was paying close attention she may even see a quite genuine smile spreading across Daredemo's lips as they weaved the signs for the transformation technique and made their decision.

It looked like an idealized version of what Daredemo viewed as a masculine self. Her jawline growing chiseled, strong muscles, a much shorter haircut, with the smallest bit of stubble growing on his chin. It wasn't necessarily anyone specific, but it was a henge none the less. And Daredemo would follow the next instruction to the letter as well. In as quick a burst of speed as Daredemo could manage they'd rush towards Hitomi to make an attack, feinting a strike before shifting their weight, sliding forward attempting to kick Hitomi's legs out from underneath.

The Final Step [Graduation Exam]Oct 7, 2023 6:30:46 GMT -5
Hyūga Hitomi
Hyūga Hitomi Avatar
groupLeaf Shinobi

Hyūga Hitomi

As the Uchiha rushed at her, Hitomi took the time to examine the henge. While usually students turned into someone they knew, it seemed that Daredemo had gone a different route. Shifting her stance slightly to catch the sweep without any issues, the Hyūga slipped to the side as well to try and get a better look at the henge as well as respond to the other attacks that the young student would perform.

As promised, the Tokubetsu Jounin wouldn't attack, instead simply blocking or dodging whatever strikes that Daredemo would attempt, pale grey eyes examining each move and mentally tallying points of data and marks. As expected, the young Uchiha was more than ready to progress and be classified as a Genin, but she could now honestly state that she had judged Daredemo thoroghly before making such a call.

After about five more minutes of sparring, teasing out the various strengths and weaknesses of the girl's fighting style, Hitomi called an end to the spar, passing the student a towel and a bottle of water shoudl she need it.

"Alright Dare-kun, I think we can safely say we're done here now. Congratulations on passing your graduation exam," she walked over to the entrance of the room and picked something up, walking back towards the younger shinobi, "I'm sure you will be pleased to receive this Hitai-ate, a symbol of your position within the forces of Konohagakure. Good work Dare-kun."

There, in her hands, was one of the forehead protectors of the Hidden Leaf, a standard one for Dare to do whatever they liked with, it was theirs now.

"You are obviously excused from classes, and I will process the paperwork today. You'll receive your new assignment in the next few days. Are there any questions?"

Word Count: 296
Tags:

The Final Step [Graduation Exam]Oct 7, 2023 7:45:56 GMT -5
Daredemo
Daredemo Avatar
groupLeaf Shinobi
DaREDEmO
Uchiha
    If you had asked Daredemo a year ago, holding this headband in her hand, wether the villages symbol or the Uchiha's mattered more to her, Daredemo would have said the Uchiha with no hesitation. Yet, after so long with her friends, Daredemo simply looked down at the leaf village insignia with a true question in her mind. Itsuki wasn't an Uchiha, and he seemed to matter a lot more to the girl than most of her actual clan mates. Surely there were more people like that in Konoha if Daredemo was simply willing to look for them.

Daredemo gave a large smile when they looked back up to Hitomi. An actual smile. Something that Hitomi likely wasn't used to seeing from the girl if she had much interaction with her. It was still such a foreign feeling to Daredemo, but it had been growing more comfortable with each use of it. "One question I guess," 

Daredemo hoped this question didn't come off wrong. She had been waiting for this day so long that she had done a lot of thought about it already. Far up that list of things she planned out has been her eventual arsenal of shinobi tools, "Is the headband enough to buy from the weapon shops? Or do I need to wait until I get the actual paperwork?" 
The Final Step [Graduation Exam]Oct 23, 2023 5:25:37 GMT -5
Hyūga Hitomi
Hyūga Hitomi Avatar
groupLeaf Shinobi

Hyūga Hitomi

Hitomi couldn't help but shake her head slightly at the question that she was given, a smile twisting on her face. It was such an unexpected and yet completely obvious question for her to receive, and she probably should have expected such a thing.

"The paperwork needs to clear first, but there is a small pack over by the door with some kunai and shuriken to tide you over for now. Don't worry, it won't take them too long to put the paperwork through and get you fully registered" she explained giving the young Uchiha a nod.

With the upcoming exams in Kumo, she knew she'd be seeing Daredemo headed that way, and she hoped some of the lessons she had imparted would stick with the girl, it'd be a shame for her to die in such a thing, or even get badly hurt. Still, nothing she said would disuade the younger Kunoichi and it wasn't as bad as having let Ataru graduate so soon, in the scheme of things. At least Daredemo was in the double digits...

"Good luck Daredemo-kun, I hope you do well going forward," she offered, watching as the new Genin left the training ground and gathering her thoughts for a few moments. Truly, while it was definitely the goal to get students to graduate, she couldn't help but worry about them.

A dichotomy to be considered more thoroughly at a later date, she had paperwork to fill out after all.

[END]

Word Count: 245
Tags: