Hearth and Home

compose a reply
Hearth and HomeMar 20, 2024 0:25:56 GMT -5
Honō Chisai
Courage and Honor
Honō Chisai Avatar
groupGrass Shinobi
age 27 years old birthday 11/16 rank Jōnin Hanchō occupation

FROM THE FLAMES OF BATTLE I WAS FORGED, FROM THE ASH LANDS I BECAME ANEW, MY SOUL STANDS UNYIELDING TO THE CHALLENGE AHEAD

The Lioness had listened to the rumblings, even from within her den. Burrowed in paperwork rather than the long grass of the hunt, with ink rather than the spilt vitae of prey. There was no pride in seeing a fellow kin mentor one of their blood in their first steps, but rather concern. There wasn't a hope that a new stanza would be etched upon obsidian stones in the stone garden of heroes, but only a somber tone that could be a mere chorus of sorrow. There were reasons to be worried and as she made her way towards the training grounds with decided step, the lioness would watch like a sentinel the entire exchange between the youngling and her would be teacher.

Quietly, the Flame of the West observed the interactions, the body language of both. From the cheerful excitement to the reluctant annoyance of the elder. A sigh escaped her as exasperation grew within her as the lesson continued. And when the girl left to look for the whatever chore he had provided to her, Chisai would make her move. Her leap from above, landing softly, bending her knees to cushion the weight before she walked softly upon the lose gravel, arms crossed over her chest, long mane of spun gold billowing on the warm breeze that carried the scent forged steel and ember.

"A new training method, cousin?" She spoke softly, standing behind Kusari Sorrow-Bringer. An eyebrow drawing a golden arc upon her face. "Looking for rocks, exactly what are you teaching Kin?" She asked softly, awaiting for the younger of the Hono to bring his explanation forward and in no uncertain terms.

<br>
305 ● ● NOTES
deltra of gangnam style
Harukei has written 383 posts
Hearth and HomeMar 20, 2024 0:47:29 GMT -5
Honō Kusari
What is Created, can be Destroyed
Honō Kusari Avatar
groupGrass Shinobi
age birthday 5/31 rank occupation
A long, quiet sigh escaped him.

His breakfast had been interrupted, and though he had finished a decent portion of the rice and received the gift of food to compensate, he still had to repay the kindness. It was his ferocious sense of pride, and that a Honō always had to pay their debts. For not just the child to show up at his doorstep, but Chisai herself?

"To what do I owe the great honor of your visit, honored elder?" he asked, the pointed respect and niceties dripping from his words like envenomed blades. Kusari already knew there was scrutiny on him, but this much?

Feral grace imbued every movement by the Flame of the West, whereas the Bringer of Sorrow moved with precision, calculating, economic- not wasting an iota of strength, effort, or stamina. If she was hot iron, then Kusari was cold.

"Shift in the nature of Chakra," he answered her as the youngling returned, with the rock in hand as requested. "As she has purported the nature of her Chakra to be Earth, I devised an object lesson in Doton to be most suited to the effort."

He tilted his head and glanced sidelong toward Chisai, smirking. "And I have it on good authority that children are most entertained playing in the dirt, so I determined that the best way to keep her engaged was a more hands-on approach."

His eyes moved back to the girl, then to Chisai. "Her parents sent her to me with food, and she asked for training. May I?" he asked.

Alkyholic has written 36 posts
Hearth and HomeMar 21, 2024 6:17:55 GMT -5
Hono Kin
Nindo Goes Here: Edit Profile > Personal > Most Recent Status
Hono Kin Avatar
groupGrass Shinobi
age 6 years old birthday January 7 rank Academy Student occupation Academy Student
Kin found herself shocked for a moment. As before her, there was now two individuals. One of which was none other than Hono Chisai, the leader of the clan. Famous of course for her skill in the Yoton, the lioness, and the Jonin Hancho of Kusagakure. She found herself wide eyed, her mouth agape. When did she get here? How long was she here? Swiftly, she holds the rock between both hands, and bows her head low in respect. "K-Konichiwa!" She says cutely, waving her left hand, and holding the rock in the other. Frankly. The fact Kin was recognized, it was a wonderful thing.

She lived in a family of ten and was the youngest of the ilk. So whenever anyone noticed her, she was pleased. Her eyes were lit up in a brilliant child like wonderment. She didn't seem to recognize the seeming tension, or somewhat disdainful animosity of Kusari, or perhaps annoyed countenance before Chisai's skepticism. Blinking, she did look between them, before she rubs the back of her head. "Well. I think it's Doton. My family didn't have any chakra paper at the time, but, after a while, I learned how to break rocks!" She says with a small bit of pride. Meaning of course, the true nature of her chakra wasn't certain. Though...Who knew for certain?

After all, just because someone had the potential to make a fire didn't mean they had fire release. Anyone could do work with enough effort and guidance. Remaining silent, she just seemed so pleased with being here, standing before the grown ups, and being able to spend time with everyone! "Yes! Can I train? Please? I want to become a really strong Kunoichi like you when I grow up!"
last edit by Hono Kin on Mar 21, 2024 6:18:16 GMT -5
dandead10 has written 63 posts
Hearth and HomeMar 25, 2024 0:31:25 GMT -5
Honō Chisai
Courage and Honor
Honō Chisai Avatar
groupGrass Shinobi

FROM THE FLAMES OF BATTLE I WAS FORGED, FROM THE ASH LANDS I BECAME ANEW, MY SOUL STANDS UNYIELDING TO THE CHALLENGE AHEAD

Chisai blinked, shaking her head for a second as he heard Kusari's explanation about the training that he was giving kin. Eyes of lilac starlight shot into the Bringer of Sorrow, her lips quivering as she tried and failed to come with a reply that wasn't sheer exasperation or to submit to the ever burning desire of raising the man over her head and driving his back to her knee. Sometimes it was hard to believe that they were from the same clan, the way he spoke, the way he acted, tested the reservoirs of patience that she had.

"You're meant to train her without looking for something in exchange." The blonde said, bringing her thumb and index finger to the bridge of her nose as she closed her eyes. "And kicking dirt isn't a proper training method. Where are the drills Kusari? The training exercises? We keep our traditions for a reason." She said, her tone never leaving the range of a whisper but each sentence being etched with steel, eyes looking at him as if they were able to pierce his flesh. Her sight deviated as she listened to the steps from the girl.

The tension on her features melting away as she saw the girl, a pleasant smile perching over her full lips, arms behind the back as she saw the girl and regarded her with the love of first among the lionesses had for the cubs in the pride. "Of course you may be trained." Chisai said softly, taking a knee and placing a gauntleted hand on the girls tiny shoulder. "I'm sure you have in you to surpass me. But we need to ascertain at first your chakra nature." She said, her hand diving on to one of the pouches about her waist, plucking a piece of paper and offering it to her. "Take it, close your eyes and concentrate on the paper." She said.

<br>
346 ● ● NOTES
deltra of gangnam style
last edit by Honō Chisai on Mar 25, 2024 0:36:38 GMT -5
Hearth and HomeMar 25, 2024 15:29:37 GMT -5
Honō Kusari
Honō Kusari Avatar
groupGrass Shinobi
And of course, he was reprimanded.

Kusari gave only a shrug in reply to the Clan Leader's assertion that he should be training the next generation without thought of compensation. There was very little he could do when the girl had come to him. In general, much of the Clan avoided going to him, and most of them weren't glad when he went to them. He had been debating finally uprooting from the Compound and finding lodgings on his own for some time. The fact that he was yet again chided for his methods only made him feel less guilty than he had before about it.

"Traditions serve a purpose," he gestured,"but frivolous drilling over yet unlearned knowledge doesn't reinforce anything. I was going to-" he started to argue, but Kin spoke up and caught Chisai's eye, and quickly thereafter, took her attention. He stopped short, exhaling loudly through his nostrils.

The elder woman knelt before the child and reassured her of her potential, of her ability to surpass even a fabled leader of the Clan. It was a different world from the one he'd been raised in, with the extreme expectations, with the loveless marriage of parents bound for the sole purpose of breeding a pedigreed heir. Chisai had never been unkind to Kusari, but she had never agreed with what he represented, either. From the way he resented many of the Clan's fundamental beliefs to the way he had burned through training, through the Chunin exams, and even been promoted to a level she was hesitant to affirm that he even deserved. That was Kusari's assessment, at least.

Chisai offered Kin a Chakra paper, and Kusari glanced back toward his apartment.

"Since you seem to have everything well in hand, can I be dismissed?" he asked.

last edit by Honō Kusari on Mar 26, 2024 23:51:08 GMT -5
Hearth and HomeMar 25, 2024 19:24:08 GMT -5
Hono Kin
Hono Kin Avatar
groupGrass Shinobi
age 6 years old birthday January 7 rank Academy Student occupation Academy Student
"Hehe!~" She smiled brightly and laughed an innocent and vibrant laughter at the praise of her clan head. However, there was a seeming moment and shift. A tensed animosity between the two that lingered beneath the surface, mainly because of personalities, but also the differences in values. One holding to tradition, and the other looking to power. She found herself looking upon the two of them, and could hear Kusari sigh. Sigh through his nose like her father did after a long day at the forge before he had a drink. When he got home and had many children trying to talk to him at once. When looking upon the two, and to Kusari in particular, she slowly sets her stone upon the floor, and steps to him with ginger footsteps.

Slowly grasping his hand, and pulling him closer, and then would seek to drag him to Chisai, with a confused look on her face. "Kusari-Sensei. Chisai-Sama!~ We're all family! Let's get along. And help and love each other." She says with a golden grin, seemingly so happy. However, before long, she reaches out and takes the chakra paper. Though as she does, she seeks to bring Kusari and Chisai's hands together. Kin wasn't sure all of what was going on, but she could tell from looking at Kusari that there was some strange feeling of discontent. Assuming the two held hands, setting a great example for the small girl before them? It was like they were fire and earth.

Chisai was the fire from the forge and Kusari was the brimstone. Channeling her chakra into the paper, she thought of the stones she'd broken. Thought of the earth like Kusari said. Which was why what came next was a level of confusion. When her chakra flooded into the reactive paper, and she saw it not crumble into dust, but instead heat, and burn, before melting into a small molten slag which falls to the floor before her. Her eyes widening at this revelation, as the golden liquid slips between her fingers and through her hand. A sizzle as it rests against the floor.

"I. Ehe~ Maybe this one was a mistake." She says smiling brightly, beaming and charismatic as she rests her small hands along her hips.
last edit by Hono Kin on Mar 25, 2024 19:24:34 GMT -5
Hearth and HomeMar 26, 2024 23:35:53 GMT -5
Honō Chisai
Courage and Honor
Honō Chisai Avatar
groupGrass Shinobi

"No Kusari." Chisai said as she would rise to her full height and turning to meet the gaze of the young man, this time her tone turning formal but not unkind towards the wayward Hono. "You are supposed to train her. And I trust in your ability to do so." The Lioness said, even when she had some reservations about him training someone as young as Kin, a part of her also wanted to give him the benefit of doubt tp just try. "I'm not ordering you. I'm asking you to teach her." She said.

Even when she found him exasperating at times, even when she had intrusive thoughts of punching him through a brick wall for his insubordination and lack of adherence of traditions, she wanted best for him. And maybe, having someone to look out for and impart his knowledge could help him in that regard. At least to try and build a bridge with the rest of the clan for that matter "We are all family after all. And we all quarrel with each other." She said, turning her gaze into the child, looking at how she concentrated in the paper within her hands.

A smile appeared as she observed the paper turn into dust but then melt, as rivulets of molten rock dripped from between her finger and landed at her feet. It seemed that this generation had its first confirmed user of the element. This was good, perhaps it would be another bountiful generation. "Well done, Kin." The blonde responded. "I believe that we should concentrate on the basic elements that you surely have access to, before we try to harness the power of our shared heritage." The Lioness suggested. "Don't you agree, Kusari?"

<br>
318 ● ● NOTES
deltra of gangnam style
Hearth and HomeMar 27, 2024 0:16:05 GMT -5
Honō Kusari
Honō Kusari Avatar
groupGrass Shinobi
He kept his eyes on the apartment a moment longer, wanting for the safety and exclusion that it offered from this situation. It was always awkward when he had to face someone with authority, because for as much as he had proven himself, it felt like they always expected more. When she told him no, his shoulders fell like a falcon who's wings had been clipped. "..."

His eyes moved to rest on the Elder's own. He would never openly defy an order, at least, because at some level he did want to be part of the family. For her to make a gesture as small as a vote of confidence was more than he had expected. Now if he backed out, he really was the problem.

"Fine," he agreed, however curtly. Despite Kin's best efforts though, the two were not destined to hold hands. He looked down and offered the child a weak, forced smile and a small shake of his head. There were some lines that ought not be crossed.

When Chisai's chakra paper reacted to the girl, Kusari's expression went deadpan. He stared at the molten slag intently, his expression flat and unchanging. The implications were multitudinous, and none of them struck him with kind or happy memories. For Kin, though, it meant the attentions of the Clan. It meant people who knew her before, as well as people who didn't would suddenly take interest. They would invest in her, build her up, groom her into yet another Yōton shaper, one of the finest prized tools of the Honō.

He continued to stare, his eyes narrowing, his expression hardening. In that moment, all he could feel for Kin was pity. He took a deep breath when Chisai suggested that they continue on with the basics.

"Quite," he agreed, for once having nothing abrupt or divisive to offer in response. "The exercise I had devised will allow you to learn a basic principle of Earth Release." Kusari kept his words simple, not wanting to confuse or discourage the girl. "You said that you'd broken rocks before, so you probably know how to force your chakra violently into them- but this is different from that."

Kusari reached out and placed a hand atop the rock Kin was holding. "I want you to concentrate on placing your chakra inside the rock, like it's a hiding place. Store it there, and keep it stable. Let's start with that, shall we?"

Hearth and HomeMar 28, 2024 2:00:15 GMT -5
Hono Kin
Hono Kin Avatar
groupGrass Shinobi
Blink. Did they just talk about what happened just so casually? Kin looked down at the cooling paper, and they just seemed to accept it was Yoton like it was as clear as day! "I think that paper was broken. Wasn't it?" She says, blinking and looking so confused. As if she'd just been smacked across the head. Maybe she wasn't doing the right thing by being here. By forcing these two to interact. When she looked at Kusari, she looked so confused at his inability to hold Chisai's hand. She was inexperienced.

Though for some reason, his smile reminded him of a very constipated looking garden snake. The kind that had just eaten something large and just couldn't bring itself to move while someone nudged it with a finger. Not saying she did that, but, kids were kind of stupid. They occupied themselves and entertained one another with the strangest things. Were they sure it was even lava release? Because. Kin wasn't. Nobody else in her family had it. So the idea she did seemed to be dizzying. Kusari didn't seem so happy about the revelation either. Kin didn't know how to feel. Not that she knew what grooming was other than tending your hair.

"Umm...I-I must be dreaming." She says, wobbling back and forth, as she slowly looks to the rock on the floor. Before slowly raising both arms, and then gesturing out to the small bits of melted paper. "I-Can we do this training a little later? I-I just. Wow." She says, a bit shell shocked. Before looking down at the floor with a great level of confusion. "I got to go home." She says, slowly losing her train of thought as a few of her fingers drift into her mouth. This was just a lot to take in.
Hearth and HomeApr 29, 2024 21:45:45 GMT -5
Honō Chisai
Courage and Honor
Honō Chisai Avatar
groupGrass Shinobi

"I understand the trepidation, little one." Chisai said, once more taking a knee to get to a level with the girl, placing her hand on the top of her head, fingers intermingling with the golden curls of the younger's Hono hair. She tried the best to dissuade the fears that seemingly were now in the taking hold of the girl. In truth, they were a mirror of what she had experienced when she was in the girls position, when her mentors hadn't being as gentle as she intended herself or indeed Kusari to be.

"Trust me, I know how fearsome taking a first step into the unknown can be, but you must understand Kin, you have inherited a great power but you will have to be careful to wield it." She said, nodding to her and then shifting her gaze to Kusari so at the very least he would follow a similar train of thought when it came to the younger Hono. "We need to guide you, but we can't force you if you feel that you need some time to think. The Lioness added. It would be now for Kin to make her choice, she wouldn't force any training on those that didn't wish for it, nor a destiny that was tailor made. She could only offer the truth and kindness.

<br>
251 ● ● NOTES
deltra of gangnam style