dopes in ropes | t

compose a reply
dopes in ropes | tMar 5, 2022 6:58:22 GMT -5
hozuki hatohara
"Care for you and yours first; the rest can wait."
hozuki hatohara Avatar
groupnull
age 12 years old birthday april 11th, -3SD rank academy student occupation student
Generally speaking, the more physically demanding techniques in a shinobi's repertoire were... less appealing to Hatohara. Not just because he was worse at them but because his natural talent for subtle ninjutsu had fully spurred his interests in that direction. Things like taijutsu, bukijutsu, and even those ninjutsu techniques that demanded more out of the user physically, were of little interest to the young boy. He instead was more drawn to things like genjutsu or using elemental chakra. He couldn't wait to learn how to activate his own.

But alas, today was not a day for such pursuits and he was slated to, instead, study the rope escape technique with his brother, Dansui. Dansui was a year younger than Hato but had already more or less surpassed him, especially when it came to physical prowess. He'd no doubt want to make this a challenge, which some part of Hato was secretly excited for, but if this technique wasn't a part of their final graduation exam then there was no way he'd have shown.

Be he did, standing idly at the front of his now empty classroom as he awaited both his instructor and his little brother. Hopefully, if all went well, they could wrap this up quickly and Hato and Dansui could go out and play before it got dark.

He was sitting on the desk, kicking his legs and playing with a piece of chalk, chipping away at the top of it, when he heard the door slide open. He hopped off the desk, tossing the chalk somewhere behind him before brushing his hands off on his shorts. "H-hey! What took you so long, Dan-kun?"

276 words | @enri
j. has written 24 posts
dopes in ropes | tMar 5, 2022 8:32:23 GMT -5
Dansui
Nindo Goes Here: Edit Profile > Personal > Most Recent Status
Dansui Avatar
groupMist Shinobi
age 9 years old birthday 07/14 rank occupation Accademy Student
The day had gone by slowly. Mostly due to how ecstatic Dansui was to train with his brother today! They were to train in the art of escaping rope. A jutsu required to graduate the academy. However, he had some training with Asuka first. It went a little past what he had expected, so he was running a little late. Hopefully Hato wouldn't mind too much. After he had finally finished with Asuka-sensei, he headed to the predetermined classroom. As he opened the door, he watched his brother come into view and jump at his arrival. Something flew behind Hato, but it didn't seem important. "Big Bro! Sorry I was running a little late. Something went a little longer than I expected!" His enthusiasm was obvious. Running up to Hato, he gave his elder sibling a hug.

Still, their instructor hadn't arrived yet. Dansui wondered what was keeping them. "Are you as excited as me Big Bro? Once we learn this jutsu we'll be one step closer to graduation!" His unwavering enthusiasm might seem naive to some, but the fact that he still had it despite his upbringing was exceptional. Realizing he hadn't taken his seat, Dansui started to walk over to the desk next to the one his brother had been at when he walked in. "We should sit down before the teacher gets here Hato. We don't wanna seem like bad students!" He would take his seat, making conversation with Hato as they waited for their teacher. The sooner they finished this, the sooner they'd be able to go play with Tota.
Strikr123 has written 58 posts
dopes in ropes | tMar 22, 2022 20:07:23 GMT -5
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
groupnull
age birthday rank occupation
[newclass=.enri]width:350px;padding:25px;text-align:justify;background-color:#ffffff;font:13px Open Sans;line-height:20px;color:#000000;[/newclass]
[newclass=.enri b]color:#333451;[/newclass]
[newclass=.enri i]color:#656b8c;[/newclass][googlefont=Open+Sans]
[attr="class","enri"]A yawn escaped Enri’s mouth, a clear opposite in energy levels compared to the bright smile that covered her face. Perhaps it was the nerve, or perhaps the lack of sleep over the past few nights. She’d been spending as much time training as she could manage, and she was admittedly disturbed by the loss of her Nuibari during the F.E.A.R. event. Her hopes remained that she would see it again someday, but only time would tell.

In the meantime, her kekkei genkai still needed work, and she had other duties to the village that required her … expertise? Not that she really had any as far as a training instructor went. Alas, here she was, walking through the gates of the Academy. The halls held a very familiar smell and vibe that couldn’t be washed away with time no matter how much seemed to pass. The art on the walls may have changed, as did the names of the instructors as it did during her time, but she still knew the way around the building, and she knew exactly where to go.

Upon arriving to the appropriate room, she knocked gently at the door. Not particularly waiting for a response, she slid open the door and presented herself, golden eyes landing on two young boys who seemed just as excited, or perhaps as nervous, as she was.

"Good afternoon,” she said politely with a bright smile. "My name is Yuki Enri. You must be Hatohara and Dansui?” she said with a cock of her head. She did have the correct classroom, right?

has written 0 posts
dopes in ropes | tMay 1, 2022 21:54:23 GMT -5
yamaguchi daichi
however long it takes.
yamaguchi daichi Avatar
groupMist Shinobi
age 17 years old birthday september 23 rank chuunin occupation mizukage bodyguard

I COULD EAT THE WORLD RAW

In a fit of horrifically awkward timing, Daichi entered the classroom shortly after Enri, with Mushi close at his heels. It was good luck that the lesson hadn’t really started yet, he supposed, but supremely bad luck that he was basically interrupting the entirety of their introductions. Not exactly getting off on the right foot.

Stepping through the open door and to the side, he at least waited for Enri to finish speaking before interjecting. "I’m so sorry for the inconvenience, Enri-san,” he said, offering a short, polite bow, "but you’ve actually been called away for a mission. I’ll be responsible for your duties here today.”

Enri blinked in surprise, but when Daichi made eye contact with her, she seemed to understand that he couldn’t exactly get into details in front of the students. She nodded.

"Duty calls,” Enri said apologetically to the two boys. "But you’re in good hands.” She turned to Daichi and smiled at him. "Good luck!”

The young woman slipped back out through the door at a swift pace, undoubtedly making her way next door to the Mizukage’s office.

There was a moment of silence as Daichi closed the door behind him, and he tried to figure out what to do next. He… was not a teacher, but when the Lord Mizukage had asked him to go get Enri, it only made sense that he would offer to cover her duties for the day. He hadn’t quite thought ahead to what exactly that meant.

"So!” he said gamely, not wanting to prolong the awkwardness any longer, "it’s nice to meet you both! I’m Yamaguchi Daichi. You’re learning the rope escape technique today, right? What other jutsu have you both learned so far?”

LAIKA OF THQ
tactician has written 260 posts
dopes in ropes | tMay 3, 2022 3:21:17 GMT -5
hozuki hatohara
hozuki hatohara Avatar
groupnull
age 12 years old birthday april 11th, -3SD rank academy student occupation student
Between the two of them, Dansui had always been the better student. Hato was sure the ‘something’ his little brother had mentioned was more training. It felt like that was all he did these days was train, ever since they’d joined the academy, and the time they spent playing was ever waning. But one had to respect the effort and potential behind Dansui’s actions.

Hato hopped off the desk and stood by Dansui’s, choosing not to sit down since they’d have to perform a practical shortly after whoever was teaching them got finished explaining all the boring stuff. He opted instead to lean on his brother’s desk, supporting his weight with one arm braced against the side of it.

Despite his prowess in it, Hato was far from an academic. He enjoyed live exercises as much as Dansui or Tota did, he just didn’t care for these more braindead techniques.

As the revolving door of instructors finished spinning, and they were left with a short one-eyed loser and his dog, Hato clapped his hands, ready to begin. "Good afternoon, Yamaguchi-sensei.” An uncharacteristic politeness but Hato had to behave in front of his little brother. "I know a few basic things, henge and bunshin.” He spoke quietly, not wanting to boast. "I’m sure my little brother has me beat though.” He gestured toward Dansui to speak.

--- words | @open
j. has written 24 posts
dopes in ropes | tJun 26, 2022 0:57:54 GMT -5
Dansui
Dansui Avatar
groupMist Shinobi
Just as quickly as their teacher entered, they were pulled away. Enri was told to go on a mission and bid the two students farewell. Her replacement? Someone named Daichi, but that part wasn't important. What mattered to little Dansui was that eyepatch! Based on his appearance, Daichi looked like he might be from the navy! Instantly, Dansui's eyes lit up with excitement as Hato began responding to their new teacher. This would be the second person he had met in kiri's navy, with the first being Kamui, if Daichi was indeed a member of it. If not, Dansui might be a little disappointed and confused, why would anyone wear an eyepatch if they weren't on a ship? It just didn't make any sense to the boy.

Once Hato finally finished his statement, praising Dansui a bit in the process, Dansui looked at the man, "I know the henge, bushin, and kawirimi techniques that are required to graduate the academy. I also know the Kaitai Fumitsukeru! I learned that one with Asuka-sensei and Tota! More importantly though sir, are you in the kiri navy!? That eyepatch makes it look like you are!" He really couldn't hold his tongue; he had no idea whether that statement would offend Yamaguchi-sensei or not, but he couldn't hold his excitement. 
dopes in ropes | tJun 26, 2022 9:31:10 GMT -5
yamaguchi daichi
however long it takes.
yamaguchi daichi Avatar
groupMist Shinobi
age 17 years old birthday september 23 rank chuunin occupation mizukage bodyguard

Daichi was in the doubly uncomfortable position, he was starting to realize, that he had truly no idea who these children were. Actual academy instructors had files, lesson plans, et cetera—he was just… stepping in for the day. At least the older one, Hatohara, seemed polite, if soft-spoken, while his little brother carried enough enthusiasm for both of them.

"Okay, so you both know henge and bunshin that’s good—uh, hm.” Daichi faltered, overcome by the sudden question about his eyepatch and the navy. Were eyepatches common in the navy? Was Dansui thinking of pirates? "No, unfortunately, I’m not in the Suiryū Ryodan—this is just, uh, ‘cause of an old injury. Kinda boring, honestly.” Not technically a lie. Daichi tried to smile, but it was strained.

Tota—these kids were friends with Tota? His little impromptu lesson with Tota hadn’t been so bad, maybe this would be okay as well.

"Okay, uh!” He glanced between the two kids, and went up to the instructor’s desk, Mushi trotting happily behind him. Luckily, materials had been prepared for them: a length of rope lay on the desk. He picked it up, winding it between his hands. "Let’s say, without chakra, without jutsu—if you get tied up, hands and feet, how do you think you would get out of it?”

LAIKA OF THQ
dopes in ropes | tJul 2, 2022 23:39:07 GMT -5
hozuki hatohara
hozuki hatohara Avatar
groupnull
This guy was like the bowl of rice to the side of your main dish. He was a chore that warranted, more often than not, being completely ignored. Hatohara did his utmost not to roll his eyes as the man struggled to get his composure facing Dansui’s random question. Couldn’t this guy read a room?

Dansui was as eager as a tiger crouched low before unsuspecting prey and boredom was coursing through Hatohara more with each passing minute. It was clear the man hadn’t taught kids a day in his life. But the boy could play along, if admittedly for only a brief moment.

"I’d flex my wrists while being tied and then, with the offered slack, slip out afterward. Or try and grab a nearby sharp implement to use to cut the rope.” The boy couldn’t help but narrow his gaze at their substitute. "Or any of the number of other methods we’ve already been taught, sensei.”

So much for acting polite in front of Dansui.

He shifted his weight away from the desk and crossed his arms over his chest, an unconscious indication that he wasn’t the least bit impressed. But he spoke with some shred of remaining courtesy, though through gritted teeth. "I think we’re supposed to be learning how to incorporate chakra into the process. That way we can get out when those other methods aren’t an option.”

He was indicating that not only could this guy afford to pick up the pace, but that both kids were ready for a practical demonstration or an in-depth explanation of the technique itself. Daichi could take the lack of respect whatever way he wish, but he was on the verge of losing Hatohara’s interest either way.

j. has written 24 posts
dopes in ropes | tJul 3, 2022 6:37:12 GMT -5
Dansui
Dansui Avatar
groupMist Shinobi
It turned out, Daichi's eyepatch didn't make him a member of the navy. Dansui's excitement suddenly dwindled into boredom. "Oh... That's not interesting at all." He would say with a disappointed look. 

The lesson finally began, with Daichi asking the two siblings how they would escape a rope without chakra. The boy rolled his eyes, they'd learned that forever ago! What was the point in asking stuff that they already knew how to do! Hato seemed to have the same opinion, as he seemed irritated.

"I'm with my brother on this, we already learned how to do that a while ago. We already know how to use a kunai or struggle to get out. We need to learn how to use chakra to escape." He tried his best to be respectful, but Hato did sometimes have an influence on him, causing the boy to seem more irritated than he actually was. Even if Daichi was just trying to break the ice, there were plenty of other ways to do that than asking them something they already knew about. He could've asked why Dansui was so interested in the navy, or if they liked his dog. This was beginning to seem like a waste of time, Dansui almost wondered if it was too late to change their instructor again.
dopes in ropes | tJul 12, 2022 7:36:37 GMT -5
yamaguchi daichi
however long it takes.
yamaguchi daichi Avatar
groupMist Shinobi

… Tough crowd. Daichi realized his mistake as soon as Dansui’s enthusiasm just melted away, quick as ice on a summer day, while Hatohara seemed to be barely holding onto the ounce of courtesy left in him.

He had a way easier time connecting with Tota. Enri probably would’ve had the easiest time with these two of all—she was so effortlessly charming, easy to talk to, no issues at all. Daichi felt somehow too young and too old at the same time; too old to actually be in their peer group, too young to command their respect just by virtue of age or experience.

He wrinkled his nose, patently unable to keep his expression neutral, and gestured for Hatohara to come over.

"Alright, uh—let’s just get into it, then. Practical demonstration, right?” He held the rope out for Hatohara to take. "Here, you can tie me up. Tight as you want, really.” Though he was vaguely afraid for his circulatory system.

Still, if the kids were impatient, then he’d quit it with the icebreakers and cut to the chase. "I asked ‘cause it’s relevant—in the case of this technique, using your chakra just makes it easier for your body to do what you would try to do anyway. Like Hatohara-kun said, flexing your wrists and slipping out… but using chakra to loosen your joints, soften your limbs, improve your flexibility so that you can get out of even super-tight restraints. It’s only effective if your opponent isn’t looking, though—subconsciously, knowing you’re being watched makes you too tense.”

LAIKA OF THQ
dopes in ropes | tOct 11, 2022 4:08:24 GMT -5
hozuki hatohara
hozuki hatohara Avatar
groupnull
That was the stupidest thing he’d ever heard. Hatohara sighed and cut the guy off, rounding behind him to tie the strange guy’s hands together in a tight knot. The boy was struggling to understand why this guy just kept going on and on about all the background information or all the cool little details nobody gave a shit about. It wasn’t Hatohara’s fault he didn’t know what he was doing leading a class, so why should he have to pay the price?

With some less than gentle encouragement, Hato moved to tie the man’s ankles together as well before tying the knots he’d made together behind the man’s back, hog tying him and leaving him in the center of the room. The knots themself were very competently fastened and left no space between their fibers and the boy’s flesh. Though, that shouldn’t be an issue that a solid burst of chakra couldn’t remedy.

The boy walked back to his seat after finishing and sat down, resting his chin on his hand and staring down at their instructor while waving his other hand at him.

"Okay, you can do the thing now.”
j. has written 24 posts
dopes in ropes | tOct 11, 2022 22:16:41 GMT -5
Dansui
Dansui Avatar
groupMist Shinobi
Dansui almost felt bad for the guy, he'd realistically been thrown into this lesson without being able to check where either Dansui or Hatohara was in their lessons. He had no idea just what they'd learned about this technique. That sympathy went away quickly though, as he went into another long-winded explanation that Hato interrupted. 

Hato did as the man had instructed, albeit before he was ready, tying him up tightly with the rope he had provided. Dansui was definitely thankful his brother had cut him off, Dansui wanted this lesson to be over as quickly as possible so they could get back to the orphanage. They probably had a ton of chores to do, and if not, they could play games with Tota! Though, Daichi did mention one thing that Dansui wasn't entirely aware of. This technique couldn't be used if your enemy was looking at you. 

Hato finished tying him up, then walked back to his seat. Dansui, having not moved for a while, yawned in protest of how boring this was. Then again, they had to know the technique to pass. "Do we need to look away? Not much of a demonstration if that's the case." The boy asked, recalling their instructor's words from earlier.
dopes in ropes | tFeb 20, 2023 5:18:04 GMT -5
yamaguchi daichi
however long it takes.
yamaguchi daichi Avatar
groupMist Shinobi

Well. Hm. Hatohara was apparently a very competent and very aggressive knot-tier, because with Daichi placidly allowing him to do as he wished, he shortly ended up hog-tied on the floor with absolutely no wiggle room. Dansui stood by, yawning. They both stared at him, waiting for him to perform the technique.

Daichi had the distinct sinking feeling that he had grossly miscalculated.

"Ah… yes,” he said faintly. "Yes, you do need to look away.”

He desperately tried to remember how he himself had been taught the technique. It had been years ago, and he’d been through so much, studied so much, his academy years were all a blur. Of course when he needed the information, it was completely gone. It wasn’t that he was rapidly losing control of the situation; it was, instead, revealed to him that he never had control of the situation.

"Look away, and I’ll explain what I’m doing as I’m doing it,” Daichi said, trying to regain some sense of competency. "Once you see what the final result is, I’ll tie each of you up and you can try it for yourselves. Sound good?”

He had half a mind that the kids would take advantage of his, uh, unfortunate position to just skip out on the lesson, but was desperately hoping that their combined desire to graduate the academy would help them all get out of this more or less cleanly, and with minimal amounts of unwarranted bullying.

LAIKA OF THQ

dopes in ropes | tFeb 27, 2023 3:22:58 GMT -5
Dansui
Dansui Avatar
groupMist Shinobi
Hato was definitely a lot better at tying the rope than dansui was, the boy hated the friction that came with it. He was never sure of why, it just always felt weird. 

He did have quite the peculiar question for Daichi though, "But wait, doesn't it say you can't escape while enemies are watching or something? So if we're not your enemies then...?" And thus, the backpeddling would likely begin. Or, Daichi would look like even more of a fool by continued his teaching as planned, if they could even call it that.

Unless otherwise instructed, Dansui would look away as Daichi tried to explain what he was doing. At the very least they'd see the final result. Dansui thought about leaving, this guy was almost as incompetent as their regular teacher. But with their teacher they had no choice but to sit in class. It wasn't like Dansui hated the guy though. He even seemed cool at first. But the fact that he'd fooled the boy into thinking he was a pirate or in the navy didn't really help the man's case. He didn't leave the lesson though, he couldn't let Tota get ahead of them after all. So, he just awaited further instruction.
dopes in ropes | tFeb 27, 2023 3:34:47 GMT -5
yamaguchi daichi
however long it takes.
yamaguchi daichi Avatar
groupMist Shinobi

It wasn’t a bad question, all things considered—maybe this was a good sign! Was Dansui actually engaging with the lesson? Was Daichi moving in the right direction?

"Good question!” he said brightly. "That’s a little simplified. If you look away, I’ll explain it as I do the technique.”

Once Dansui turned, Daichi sent a minimal amount of chakra to his joints: elbows, wrists, knees, ankles. "So, the first step is to use your chakra to soften your joints and increase your flexibility. You’re not magically escaping the rope, just improving your body’s ability to work itself out.” Once his joints were flexible enough, Daichi did a little maneuver with his hands, twisting his wrists until he was able to pick at the rope. Tight knots, jeez. "Ideally you should keep a kunai within reach in case of situations like this, since it’s a lot faster and easier to cut yourself free than to try to untie a knot. Now, the reason why this doesn’t work when someone is watching is because on a subconscious level, your body knows that you’re being watched, and your system is tensed so that the chakra isn’t able to…”

And on and on Daichi went, for at least another fifteen seconds until he was finally able to pick the knot free. After that, wiggling his legs free was a simple task, and he got to his feet with a bright, "ta-da!”

Now Daichi brought the rope to Dansui and held it out—if the boy consented, he would tie him up, just a simple loop-around bind instead of the, uh, aggressive hogtie that the boys wrapped him in.

"Alright, give it a shot!” he said.

LAIKA OF THQ