A Yamato's (Read: Dummy's) Guide to Templates

compose a reply
A Yamato's (Read: Dummy's) Guide to TemplatesApr 7, 2020 20:24:48 GMT -5
Hisakawa Yamato
Preparation, and good comrades, are the keys to victory
Hisakawa Yamato Avatar
groupnull
age 23 years old birthday rank Sp. Jounin occupation Kusagakure Lord
So you want to make your own template? Awesome! Me too! The internet is a big place, which is why it's a bit hard to find all the resources you need to accomplish such a task, but worry not scared NFB citizen, I'm here to help. I taught myself how to make templates from scratch which is why this thread will only be a beginner's guide to templates. Templates are really just like lego! I'll teach you how the individual pieces work, but it'll be up to you to make something great. If you ever feel discouraged on this learning journey, just remember, if a dummy like me could do it, then so can you!

If you're going to follow along, now would be the time to open a new tab. Go ahead and make a new thread in the GFX board, wait for the page to completely load (because at the time of writing, the site is supeeeer slow), and click that little tab in the bottom left corner that says 'BBCode'. These two little tabs 'Preview' and 'BBCode' are a dummy's best friend. While you create your template, you should primarily be on the BBCode tab, but you should frequently switch to preview just to see how your template looks. Now, one final step of preparation and then we can really get into the nitty gritty. Open up a plain text file, and keep it handy. Every time you make some progress with your template, you should paste it into that text document and slap ctrl+s. There's a million and one things that can go wrong while doing something on site, and you'll be thanking me one day when you accidentally delete your entire template, but fortunately you've got that text file backup.

To start with, you'll need to need to let your browser know that what you type should not be displayed as text, but be formatted as code. How do you do that? With brackets, of course! For our first piece of code we'll use the following:

[div align="center"][/div]
What the hell is this? Let's break it down. That first piece
[div align="center"]
announces to the browser that anything after it should be centered. Of course if you just leave it at that your code won't work. That's why you need to add the second bit
[/div]
to complete the code. This applies to essentially everything in BBCode, for every piece of code you write, you will need to add the corresponding /'thing' to complete it.

Now let's get to some more fun stuff! Inside of your previous code, we're going to write another piece of code. It should look like this
[div align="center"][div style="description:property;description:property;"][/div][/div]
It looks daunting, but worry not, it's actually quite simple. Inside of the quotation marks is where you specify all the neat little features you want for your template! You start with the feature you'd like, such as the width of your template, then specify it after the colon. You separate all the features with a semicolon. So this...
[div align="center"][div style="width:500px;background-color:pink;"][/div][/div]would mean that your template so far is centered, the width of it is 500 pixels, and the background color of it is pink. Go ahead and try it out! Type some text into in between :pink;"] and [/div and then click on preview to see your fine work. And that's it! You have officially created your first ever template. From here, it is totally possible for you to go out onto the vast internet and research what other neat things you can add to your template all by your lonesome. Don't want to do that? That's fine too! In the next post down, I'll have several more neato features you can add to your template with some quick explanations!
Yamato has written 544 posts
A Yamato's (Read: Dummy's) Guide to TemplatesApr 7, 2020 20:26:18 GMT -5
Hisakawa Yamato
Hisakawa Yamato Avatar
groupnull
Here's a list of common tags and how to use them!
  • margin:type
    Instead of doing the whole 'div align="center"' business, you can actually put 'margin:auto' in your 'div style' code to accomplish the same thing. Or you can make it align left/right like a weirdo.
  • width:00px
    This one is easy enough. You specify how wide you want your template to be in pixels! I personally think 400-500 is a pretty good size.
  • background-color:color
    You can type a bunch of simple colors here like red, blue, green, etc. or you can even use hexadecimal colors like #AD2B2B
  • border:0px color type
    This tag puts a border around you thingy! For type you can use solid, dashed, dotted, or double.
  • border-radius:0px
    This will round out your border. Feel free to experiment with different numbers!
  • padding:00px
    This will well... pad your template out, putting space in between the outer edge and whatever's inside.

The tags I've shown you so far are useful for making the background of your template, "but what about the text!" I hear you cry. Worry not, here's a few tags you can use for your lovely words.
  • text-align:justify
    You can use left, right, center, or justify but justify is the best in my opinion.
  • font-family:fontname
    This one is pretty self explanatory, pick your font!
  • font-size:00px
    Also self explanatory, pick your font size! (This is a friendly reminder to frequently preview your code!)

If you want to add an image to your template, you'll have to add in a whole new piece of code. Thankfully, it's just as easy as everything we've gone over so far.

[img style="maxwidth:100%;" src="https://via.placeholder.com/150x150"]
Note that you don't have to close this code with /img. You can even slap a border around that image if you add the border tag right after 'maxwidth:100%;'

Okay, so let's say you've gone over this guide but you're still not too sure how to make your own template? Well, once again worry not! In my next post I'll walk you through step by step on how to make a simple posting template, and then maybe you'll be ready to tackle one on your own.
A Yamato's (Read: Dummy's) Guide to TemplatesApr 7, 2020 20:27:18 GMT -5
Hisakawa Yamato
Hisakawa Yamato Avatar
groupnull
Okay, here we go, step by step process on making your own banger template! Let's start with a simple rectangle to hold everything inside. Well... that'd be

Hm... not really much to look at quite yet, but it's a start! I'm thinking... maybe a yellow background?

placeholder text

A border is definitely needed here, I guess I'll go with green. And I want it real THICK, so maybe 10 px.

placeholder text

Yea okay! Now this is getting somewhere. Hm... I think I want an image of my character near the top so...

placeholder text

I don't really like how the image touches the top of the template but that's an easy fix! Just gotta put my cursor there and push enter a few times.

placeholder text

Nice. I think my image could use a border of its own, so I'll just throw the border tag inside the image code thing there. Maybe I'll make this border a little less thick though.

placeholder text

Looking good! Aside from the eye-searing yellow... but it's always smart to worry about the big picture first then worry about all the nice details later on. Anywho, I should probably get another rectangle to hold all my text! That means adding a whole 'nother 'div style' thingy below the image, but still within my first one.

placeholder text
moreplaceholdertext

Oof, that text box is definitely going to need a border too. And just for fun, I'll round out the corners!

placeholder text
moreplaceholdertext

Almost done! The only thing left to do now is to make some final adjustments to the text itself! I'm going to go ahead and copy paste a 200 word lorem ipsum just to get a better look.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Pellentesque elementum mollis ante at consequat. Aenean sit amet justo nec mauris dapibus imperdiet vitae aliquam augue. Nulla facilisi. Aliquam eros elit, aliquam et accumsan et, luctus ac diam. Duis a arcu et ante vehicula tempus. Phasellus nulla ligula, fringilla non semper eget, malesuada at quam. Aliquam fermentum sit amet augue placerat rutrum. Fusce congue libero at suscipit sollicitudin. Sed tincidunt nibh placerat ex laoreet euismod. Aenean commodo molestie dapibus. Nulla nec posuere elit. Proin quis dui lectus. Nullam efficitur vitae leo nec tristique. Vestibulum ante ipsum primis in faucibus orci luctus et ultrices posuere cubilia Curae Sed posuere risus diam, eget ullamcorper metus imperdiet quis. Aenean a risus est. Mauris pellentesque efficitur erat sit amet ullamcorper. Donec egestas orci ut est dapibus gravida. Donec mollis lacinia egestas. Nunc in mauris dignissim, vehicula risus a, volutpat erat. Ut et euismod nisl, vel tempor dolor. Nam nec interdum diam. Pellentesque arcu nisi, blandit nec egestas vitae, tincidunt sed sapien. Sed faucibus luctus varius. Etiam rutrum urna felis, feugiat finibus massa sagittis et. Vivamus sodales ipsum gravida nunc posuere, vel malesuada nibh pellentesque. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Interdum et malesuada.

Oh, the words touch the sides... well, a padding tag ought to fix that!

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Pellentesque elementum mollis ante at consequat. Aenean sit amet justo nec mauris dapibus imperdiet vitae aliquam augue. Nulla facilisi. Aliquam eros elit, aliquam et accumsan et, luctus ac diam. Duis a arcu et ante vehicula tempus. Phasellus nulla ligula, fringilla non semper eget, malesuada at quam. Aliquam fermentum sit amet augue placerat rutrum. Fusce congue libero at suscipit sollicitudin. Sed tincidunt nibh placerat ex laoreet euismod. Aenean commodo molestie dapibus. Nulla nec posuere elit. Proin quis dui lectus. Nullam efficitur vitae leo nec tristique. Vestibulum ante ipsum primis in faucibus orci luctus et ultrices posuere cubilia Curae Sed posuere risus diam, eget ullamcorper metus imperdiet quis. Aenean a risus est. Mauris pellentesque efficitur erat sit amet ullamcorper. Donec egestas orci ut est dapibus gravida. Donec mollis lacinia egestas. Nunc in mauris dignissim, vehicula risus a, volutpat erat. Ut et euismod nisl, vel tempor dolor. Nam nec interdum diam. Pellentesque arcu nisi, blandit nec egestas vitae, tincidunt sed sapien. Sed faucibus luctus varius. Etiam rutrum urna felis, feugiat finibus massa sagittis et. Vivamus sodales ipsum gravida nunc posuere, vel malesuada nibh pellentesque. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Interdum et malesuada.

And done! The colors are disgusting and the font is atrocious, but the template is ready to be shipped out and used! Now that you've seen a step by step process of how it's done, get out there and make your own! Making a template may seem daunting at first, but if you take it slow and work piece by piece, you can do it!
last edit by Hisakawa Yamato on Apr 7, 2020 21:14:15 GMT -5