TAG
-
-
WORDS
-
-
-
A
cquiescing to the offer of help, she allowed Isao to take the kettle and pour the cups of tea himself. If the young man wanted to worry himself about being useful, she supposed that was his business. Maybe it was just one of those boons of being a village elder that she should accept. As he began to work, he addressed what she had said about her assistant.

Yoshioka Kouki. Wonderful lad. A little impulsive and perhaps not the most traditionally bright, but he had a strong spirit and was a good kid.

"There was an incident at the Chuunin Exams two years ago, the ones we held," she explained. "Just after Lady Nakajima had gone missing. My assistant was in the exams and had a rather... explosive fight. He was severely injured and was in the hospital for months afterwards comatose. Poor boy woke up to an entire regime change - it must have been confusing for him," she chuckled softly.

"He had to take some recovery time after that as well. Rebuilding muscles, getting back to his training. I had some of the Diplomatic Corps assisting me in the meantime, but it was a rather hectic period."

Dealing with the political ramifications of her predecessor disappearing hadn't been easy. In any situation like that, there are always accusations of foul play. Shuka had done her best to send parties out far and wide searching out the former leader.

"He's alright now, luckily. Back to work and back to helping me. This pile will diminish soon."

ISHY of THQ & ADOXOGRAPHY

has written 436 posts
hot, cold or both? | shukaFeb 1, 2022 22:40:59 GMT -5
hirata isao
"a beast doesn't survive by thinking; it moves and kills on instinct."
hirata isao Avatar
groupnull
age 28 years old birthday feb 7th rank sp. jounin occupation genin team 2 leader
F
ollowing along with her explanation, Isao prepared their drinks on a small silver tray. He'd heard about what happened at the chuunin exams she mentioned but he wasn't around to see any of it personally; that whole year was a blur considering he was the only one on team 2 for a bit.

"Yeah, I'd heard about that." He spoke, his gaze focused on his hands but his mind in the past. Though, it was nice to know everything had gotten better more or less. Still, going back even just two years and Yukigakure looked a lot different.

Isao was grateful for Lady Yuki having taken over where she did. Although it had only been a short time since he'd known her, and even shorter since she'd been in power, it felt like she'd been around forever.

Intense pain caught Isao by surprise and he removed his hand from the mouth of the kettle, taking care not to set it down too forcefully as his thumb flew to his mouth. "Ah-" Of course he'd burn himself. And with Lady Yuki right there, how perfect. He'd gone to all the trouble to ask to help and prepare their tea and only to do it worse.

He shook his head and picked up the small cups by their saucers. "I'm glad to hear he's doing well and that you have some help." He reached over to set down Lady Yuki's cup of steaming tea before sitting back down. "I only got the synopsis at the time. Did he advance? Or was the battle too explosive?" He snuck in the dark joke, hoping it wouldn't offend, with a chuckle before lifting his tea to gently blow on its surface.

@ user

last edit by j. on Aug 5, 2023 23:17:41 GMT -5
j. has written 50 posts
hot, cold or both? | shukaFeb 3, 2022 11:24:02 GMT -5
Yuki Shuka
If the world is cold, make it your business to build fires
Yuki Shuka Avatar
groupSnow Shinobi
age birthday rank occupation
Yuki Shuka
---
TAG
-
-
WORDS
-
-
-
H
er eyebrows raised slightly when he made a pained sound and she tilted her head, leaning forward to try to see around and check if he was alright. Considering he didn't immediately express a need to search for medical help, he was either alright or too stubborn to do so. Hopefully the former. Young shinobi could be so clumsy, even the slightly older ones. Maybe it was the confidence of working with their hands that led so many of them to do silly things like that.

Politely, she decided not to address it besides the look of surprise. She sat back at her desk and happily took the saucer of tea. She wrapped it with both hands and lifted the cup, taking a small sip. Still too hot - she'd have to wait a moment. Luckily, she never had to blow on tea, all she had to do was quietly focus her Hyoton inside the cup and it would be the perfect temperature in seconds.

Isao's joke made her purse her lips for a moment before a smile cracked on her features. Perhaps it was fair to joke about.

"Unfortunately, it was decided that he was not ready to advance as of yet. Too little control of himself. I couldn't yet trust him to go on more difficult missions. Once he has a better control over his chakra, that will be easier for him." Difficult when he was holding a tailed beast.

"I need to get him back into going on missions. An unfortunate effect of being my assistant means he has no consistent team..."

has written 436 posts
hot, cold or both? | shukaFeb 9, 2022 3:11:28 GMT -5
hirata isao
hirata isao Avatar
groupnull
age 28 years old birthday feb 7th rank sp. jounin occupation genin team 2 leader
There was always this air of intrigue whenever Isao encountered another user of an advanced nature release. Naturally, the young man knew Lady Yuki was gifted in Hyoton, her name preceding her, and she would be very familiar with his abilities as well, but, as small crystalline structures of frost began to spread across the base of her teacup before quickly turning to liquid, Isao had to wonder if he didn't get the raw end of the deal.

His Storm release had very few uses off the battlefield, lacking the electric potency of Raiton or the utility of Suiton. He chose not to linger on the thought but kept it stored in the back of his mind to try and expand his use of the chakra nature. If one day he could use it as comfortably and diversely as Lady Yuki, he'd be a much better soldier for it.

Her mention of Kouki going on missions seemed to demand a continuation from their previous topic, Jun's development and the progress of Team Two. "As discussed," He began, sipping at his tea before setting the cup back down; still needed a few seconds. "My squad is still pretty green, maybe we could have Kouki join us on a C-Rank?"

The idea seemed perfect from Isao's side of the table. He'd be simultaneously exposing his students to more shinobi; their styles in both teamwork and combat (potentially), as well as giving Lady Yuki's assistant a proper dusting. Though, his mind traveling back to the paperwork forest, it might have to wait until certain obligations were handled first.

--- words |

j. has written 50 posts
hot, cold or both? | shukaFeb 12, 2022 0:59:07 GMT -5
Yuki Shuka
Yuki Shuka Avatar
groupSnow Shinobi
Yuki Shuka
---
TAG
-
-
WORDS
-
-
-
T
he offer to take him on was a pleasant surprise, though maybe it wasn't very surprising at all given Isao's general nature. He enjoyed being helpful and would offer his services up in her assistance at the drop of a hat, even if it might inconvenience himself. This offer he extended was to take on more than he truly understood, though. The responsibility of taking care of Kouki and making sure he did not go out of control was a much more delicate thing than for a standard team of genin.

She took a sip of her tea, the perfect temperature, and considered the offer for a minute, brow clearly furrowed in a concentration that did not befit the topic. Though maybe it could read as her being uncertain if she wanted to give up her assistant on paperwork, after all.

"I am sure he would appreciate the opportunity if you were to extend it to him." She was unsure how ready he felt to return to the field. "If you would... Would you extend him the offer yourself and see how he replies? I do not know of his confidence level to return to the field," she admitted. As with many teenage boys, he was often reserved in his true feelings.

"He's a strange case. His chakra is rather out of control, so taking him on would be a bit of additional responsibility."

has written 436 posts
hot, cold or both? | shukaFeb 21, 2022 0:32:52 GMT -5
hirata isao
hirata isao Avatar
groupnull
While the mention of 'out-of-control chakra' was ominous in its own right, Isao was never one to back down from a challenge or additional responsibility. He operated better with more on his plate, more to fill the spaces of his mind that would otherwise be occupied by deliberation; a useless endeavor. And then there was the nature of the issue, chakra control. Isao was no savant at the pursuit but it was definitely an area he was skilled in. Maybe some of his methods would rub off on the kid.

There was, of course, a level of monstrous chakra that was beyond help, but Isao could always do his best. He nodded, "I'll speak to him then, later today if it works out that way." The more battle-ready shinobi Yuki had the better. An army needed its logisticians, sure. But if this kid really had some insane chakra, he'd be needed if war found its way to the Land of Snow. And it very well might as the nation continually developed and grew in strength.

Of course, a five man squad was a bit overkill for most of the missions Isao could toss their way but that could be ideal for getting these kids feet wet. They were hard to all get ahold of anyway, so with the addition of Kouki it may very well end up being three or four either way.

Callouses rubbed against a barely visible stubble running along Isao's jaw as he considered the Lady Yuki's words. "I haven't any qualms about reigning in a bit of a loose cannon. But how 'out-of-control' are we talking here?" He hoped he was plain in his interest; he wanted to bring Kouki along with them. He just wanted to know what he was dealing with. And perhaps, if it couldn't be helped, how to best handle a situation should it arise if brute force was the less appealing measure.

--- words |

j. has written 50 posts
hot, cold or both? | shukaFeb 26, 2022 14:05:49 GMT -5
Yuki Shuka
Yuki Shuka Avatar
groupSnow Shinobi
Yuki Shuka
---
TAG
-
-
WORDS
-
-
-
W
ould it be best to divulge that Kouki was the jinchuuriki? She could trust Isao, she knew she could, but trust in the shinobi you were talking to was never the issue. There were people, clans, out there that could invade the mind and steal that information away without Isao needing to be the slightest bit untrustworthy. Someone being able to identify Kouki would be a liability regardless. The little stunt at the exams had endangered him in this way already. Perhaps she should keep that information back for now - though it was something to consider down the line if he began taking Kouki on with any regularity.

"His own mistake with restraining his chakra is what helped to cause his long coma," she explained. It was more complicated than that - a young boy from Takigakure had gone out of his way to truly attempt to kill Kouki. That has exacerbated the matter and caused him to fall unconscious. But it couldn't be argued that the tailed beast's strain had nothing to do with it.

"He can be incredibly strong if trained appropriately, but a real danger to himself and others when he loses control. You would have to keep a careful eye on him to ensure he was not pushing himself too far."

has written 436 posts
hot, cold or both? | shukaMar 3, 2022 19:25:12 GMT -5
hirata isao
hirata isao Avatar
groupnull
This was all certainly very mysterious but Isao had no intention of backing out now. In fact the challenge seemed the perfect test of his abilities to lead a genin team at all. While this kid was definitely a unique case, who better to take him on than Isao? Well, loads of people really but he was trying to psych himself up.

He couldn't wait to meet the kid. There were hundreds of questions: would the kid mesh with the team, would he have any respect for Isao, would he just do whatever he wanted, would he even agree to join the squad? But Isao wasn't concerned with the details. Things had a way of working out once they began to unfold and, if they were to get Shuka's assistant back in the field in any capacity, they'd might as well start shaking off the rust now.

Isao finished off his cup of tea before leaning back a bit, raising one leg to rest over the other. "Assuming they start to accompany a squad on missions with some regularity." He quickly raised a hand in his defense as his eyes met Lady Yuki's. "And I don't mean to hire myself!" He allowed a low chuckle to escape before continuing. "But how would this all affect his existing duties here?"

The last thing the man wanted to do was interfere with the work the kid was already expected to handle. Nor did he want to stack too much on his plate, pushing him too hard already a foreseen difficulty.

--- words |
j. has written 50 posts
hot, cold or both? | shukaMar 12, 2022 15:11:39 GMT -5
Yuki Shuka
Yuki Shuka Avatar
groupSnow Shinobi
Yuki Shuka
---
TAG
-
-
WORDS
-
-
-
G
oing out on missions would of course impact his ability to help out with all the paperwork, but she was well used to it and he was not the only office administrator around. If she was being quite honest, a teenager was not the best fit for this job. She would keep him in it as long as he wanted to be in it, but she imagined he had greater ambitions than this.

"I'll likely have to pass some of his responsibilities on to others. But a shinobi does not stop being a shinobi just because they've entered this office. If I'm completely honest, I believe my predecessors always intended this as a temporary position to ensure he was ready," she explained.

"If it reaches a point where he would rather be part of a consistent team and would prefer to stop being my assistant, I would happily allow him to transfer and fill the position with someone new. In the meantime, our office can certainly manage," she said.

Her goal as leader was always to watch the nation and the people within it blossom. She wanted to help everyone that she could in advancing their careers, in advancing their personal growth. Hesitancy would not allow her to hold Kouki back.

has written 436 posts
hot, cold or both? | shukaMay 1, 2022 1:32:56 GMT -5
hirata isao
hirata isao Avatar
groupnull
Personal development was a concern of Isao’s as well, considering he was a teacher here in the Land of Snow more than anything else. Whether it was during his tenure as a sellsword before he’d ingratiated himself with Yukigakure or in the time that followed where he worked as a substitute at the academy before taking on his team of genin, he was an instructor through and through.

So, when the topic of helping one of his future students reach their potential came up, he was always eager; the first to volunteer himself to help. But then, he’d made a bit of a name for himself as being someone willing to help. Some might argue it was too much work or that you needed to worry about yourself first. But his altruistic nature was probably the main reason he’d made it this far.

"That’s good to hear.” Isao was visibly relieved, pleased at the notion that he could potentially take on this responsibility without damning Lady Yuki to a mountain of work in turn. He didn’t envy her position, though it felt like his career grew more and more administrative with each passing month. Gone were the days where he served as an operative, executing missions fearlessly under the orders of his sensei. Now he was the one giving the orders and watching over the fresh young firepower.

However, while the topic of Kouki’s growth was an intriguing one, Isao wanted to avoid beleaguering Lady Yuki any further, on this point anyway. Instead his mind traveled to grander topics. While academics were alien to him and he could hardly read, the mental gymnastics surrounding politics had always enthralled him. And Yukigakure was in a very particular place as of late.

With rising tensions all across the mainland, Isao had often wondered if war wasn’t around the corner. The Land of Snow was no small power but he wondered how much its forces could handle fighting if it came to it. Defense was no issue, given their favorable terrain. But what would a snow shinobi look like in the middle of a grassy field on a hot summer’s day and in open combat?

Hopefully it wouldn’t come to that; the strength behind their naval force and what resources they could offer their allies should serve. But what then of their allies? Kirigakure seemed a natural pair, given their similarities and recent history of joint operations. But what of the rest of the shinobi world? Isao began after a moment of silence with a simple, albeit hard to answer, question. "Lady Yuki, what do you think of the state of the world?”

--- words |

j. has written 50 posts
hot, cold or both? | shukaJun 26, 2022 0:43:32 GMT -5
Yuki Shuka
Yuki Shuka Avatar
groupSnow Shinobi

Yuki Shuka
---
TAG
-
-
WORDS
-
-
-
T
he topic shifted, as it often did, to the subject of the state of the world. It was a broad topic of conversation, one that she broached often with her advisors and the other members of the diplomatic corps. There were so many elements of it to consider that she took a moment to think about how to reply. She took another sip of her tea, contemplative.

"Our world has been in a bit of a transitory phase for a while,"
she decided on. That would be a good place to start. "Many nations are experiencing a change of power and beginning to focus on different priorities. It will be difficult to tell, for a while still, how things will pan out. I know I would like to extend our nation's diplomatic influences further than we have in the past. If we want to become a player on the major stage, such things are necessary, but we must also tread carefully." She rolled her shoulder, brow furrowed in thought.

"I would like to be honest with you. There are political tensions boiling. Alliances may find themselves shifting, soon. Such things always come with turmoil. I would like to imagine we can remain strong against it and maintain a peace, even if it is an unsteady one." Yet, war came in cycles for shinobi. Shuka would not like to see it break out again, but she wouldn't be surprised if smaller confrontations became more common.

has written 436 posts
hot, cold or both? | shukaJun 26, 2022 9:12:39 GMT -5
hirata isao
hirata isao Avatar
groupnull
A torrent of rain fell, the river’s banks disappearing as water rose to overtake arid soil and a trickle turned to rapids. At the end of the stream a dam began to crack, first in twigs and then in branches. While he was far from a conversationalist, the floodgates were gone and Isao had nothing but words.

His eyes widened as Shuka spoke, surprised at her honesty and at his own response as words came flowing out and, wait, hey at least let me finish the sent- "We all sense it, Lady Yuki. There is stability within our walls but on the mainland it only grows more unsteady with each passing day.”

Especially with the events surrounding the Hidden Leaf; a village that once stood as an indomitable heavyweight on the world stage now felt like the intercontinental punching bag. Isao was confident that, if conflict did break out, they would be at the crux of it whether or not by their own choice.

He was no stranger to conflict; it used to be how he found dinner at night and what kept him warm at night. He was no war profiteer but fighting was always how he’d made a living, so, in a way, maybe he was. As much as any other merc or foot soldier anyway.

His eyes raced as he thought of an imaginary war between the great nations and he wondered at where he’d fit in it all. Hopefully close to home but- "Well, whatever comes of it, I intend to guarantee that strength you imagine. If I may speak freely,” He did anyway. "The hidden mist seems an obvious ally and is the most powerful individual military force of any of us.”

His words flew into tactics, diplomatic strategy and talk of advantages naturally and instinctually. It took him a moment to realize his words could potentially be seen any number of ways besides the one the way they were meant to be.

So, he chose his next words carefully. His tone was bold and unafraid but the last thing he wanted was to insult Lady Yuki in her own office with assumptions. "I’m no politician… but I know war. I think, humbly, that her coming is inevitable, Lady Yuki. And, if I may, I don’t think it’s unwise of us to make shrewd decisions now. I too yearn for a peaceful home." He studied the desk before him for a moment before raising his gaze to lock with his superior's. "If that means I need to cut down a thousand enemies to ensure that for all of us, I’m ready to do so; at our gate or theirs.”

--- words |
j. has written 50 posts
hot, cold or both? | shukaJul 26, 2022 23:15:20 GMT -5
Yuki Shuka
Yuki Shuka Avatar
groupSnow Shinobi

Yuki Shuka
---
TAG
-
-
WORDS
-
-
-
T
he mind of a shinobi was often on such things, really. She and her predecessors had done well to put the history of Yukigakure and the many wars on the syllabus for the academy, she wanted everyone to be aware of what had come before and what was possible to come after. Maybe not the gory details for the children, but they needed to understand the danger of the position. She was glad that she had knowledgeable soldiers, ones like Isao who had their eyes open, an awareness of their situation.

"Your loyalty is appreciated," she assured him again. She would trust him to guard their gate or beat down another's. She would trust him to teach young genin how to do the same. She hoped he wouldn't have to.

"I am doing my best to forge what alliances I can. Our nation has often been an isolationist one, keeping itself from society and trying to build it strength from within. I appreciate this independence that we have, but I also know that we can bolster our strength even more by cooperating with others. I cannot tell you more at this time - diplomatic ventures tend to be quite sensitive - but I can assure you that Kirigakure and us are on good terms."

Their leader, too, had a good head on his shoulders. A smart young man with much ambition and much self control.

She folded her hands for a moment, staring down at the weathered knuckles, contemplative.

"When there are many powers grappling for purchase in the world, war always seems inevitable. If I can, I would like to do my best to avoid it. I have lived through drawn out war between the great powers and I would not like to inflict it on this generation."

has written 436 posts
hot, cold or both? | shukaJul 27, 2022 2:34:24 GMT -5
hirata isao
hirata isao Avatar
groupnull
[attr="class","pinktext"]
Her words echoed through the young man’s mind, bouncing around and knocking into hung paintings of the lives he’d grown close to and seen stolen away in war and the faces of those young shinobi in his care and the care of others. He didn’t want to see them see conflict or pain either.

To some degree he knew conflict was inevitable; their job largely centered around killing or stopping others from doing so, but that didn’t mean he had to enjoy it.

It seemed at times as though Isao wasn’t doing enough. Enough to pay back the insurmountable debt he’d accrued to this village, for all they’d done, and would continue to do, for him. As much as he enjoyed serving as one of the village’s swords, and a whetstone to sharpen those swords much younger than him, he always felt like he could be doing more.

But for now, he understood that the best way for him to pay that debt was to serve in the role his superiors felt was best for him. In the countless wars he’d served in as a mercenary, many a young kid sought to take it upon themselves and rush out against the enemy on their own or flank them in some sneaky scheme to weaken the enemy’s assault. Doing so, however, almost always resulted in death. Those that didn’t die in war were just lucky.

He’d play his part, maintaining the line and ensuring his commander’s strategy, even if it was to hold ad infinitum, was upheld. And besides, the gamble of war wasn’t something he wanted to put his students through either.

He nodded along, allowing the woman’s words to sink through him. "I’ve said what I needed to; conveyed my intent, should war come. I don’t want to subject them to a drawn out struggle either.” He said ‘them’ and referred to his students and their fellow genin but some part of him knew that when Lady Yuki had said ‘this generation’ she was including Isao in those numbers.

He let out an even sigh, releasing the tension of the serious topic in one action, hopefully anyway. "Well, I’ll continue to do my part as best as I can. As much as I would regret them learning the dark truths of war first-hand, I intend to prepare our genin for it all the same." He grinned, closing his fist that rested on the table.

"Our swords will stay the sharpest, with or without a conflict.” Despite the gravity behind his words, Isao's smile was confident and eager for any challenge the world could to throw at them.

--- words |

[newclass=.pinktext]width:320px;border-top:solid 1px #cececf;border-bottom:solid 1px #cececf;border-right:solid 1px #cececf;border-left:solid 1px #cececf;background-color:#f0f0f0;filter: grayscale(96%);transition-duration:.7s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.pinktext:hover]filter: grayscale(0%);[/newclass]
j. has written 50 posts
hot, cold or both? | shukaAug 5, 2022 17:51:45 GMT -5
Yuki Shuka
Yuki Shuka Avatar
groupSnow Shinobi

Yuki Shuka
---
TAG
-
-
WORDS
-
-
-
S
he nodded her agreement to him. Yes. Whether or not war was to come, the genin would need to be prepared for it all the same. She was glad to have someone so familiar with battle as Isao to help handle teaching these students of the harsh realities of the battlefield, or the danger they must encounter and of the danger they might. His confidence was a firm reassurance and she smiled at him, hoping it communicated how appreciative she was of his positivity and commitment.

As much as she would love to sit here talking all day, it probably wasn't realistic for her to do. The leader of the country rarely had such leisure. Every moment was a busy one and she would have to return to her tasks at some point or another. Still, would it truly hurt to steal another few seconds of rest?

"Do you have any other questions for me while I have you here?"
She was always happy to help any shinobi within her village by whatever means she could. If Isao had any other questions about the state of the village or his position or his future, she would be more than happy to oblige them. A strong nation began with sturdy individuals to hold it up.

has written 436 posts