In the grave, he waits [Mission]

compose a reply
In the grave, he waits [Mission]Dec 19, 2021 16:54:10 GMT -5
Kirigara Sugita
Nindo Goes Here: Edit Profile > Personal > Most Recent Status
Kirigara Sugita Avatar
groupnull
age 16 years old birthday 3/2 rank Genin occupation Squad 1
[newclass=.sugita]width:350px;padding:25px;text-align:justify;background-color:#ffffff;font:13px Open Sans;line-height:20px;color:#000000;[/newclass]
[newclass=.sugita:hover]margin-top:0px;opacity:1;-webkit-transition-duration:.5s;transition-duration:.5s;-moz-transition-duration:.5s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.sugita b]color:#333451;[/newclass]
[newclass=.sugita i]color:#656b8c;[/newclass][googlefont=Open+Sans]
[attr="class","sugita"]Araikettei Shuichi was dead.

Sugita had already heard the news. The air was heavy and solemn, further characterized in melancholy colors by the overdraft of nimbus clouds. They hung low and heavy in the morning sky and littered tears on the tin rooves of Amegakure. Sugita packed his things, his mind in a haze and floating along with the heavy fog outside his window. Casted shadows made the air cold and stagnant, with mist drops of rain hanging humidity out to dry in a worthless attempt to stow away soaked tears. What a sad day, indeed. His movements were slow and effortless, dragged by fleeting thoughts of shared memories that caused grief. The pain in his chest tightened and made Suga feel as though he was deep under the waters. Why him? Why did he have to do it? A tear escaped him, sliding down his cheek, and hung tightly to his chin before deciding to finally let go. He should have felt honored, but he didn’t. He felt scared and sad and useless. Fifteen. Was that old enough to bear such a weight?

He had grown up with Shuichi. Shuichi was a friend, although one he had seen rather sparingly over the past few months. Their differences in rank separated them over time. This fact alone made Sugita hate himself more and more with each passing minute. If he hadn’t chosen to stay behind…if he hadn’t chosen to quit…maybe Shuichi would still be alive. Maybe Suga could have been there with him. Maybe he could have saved him.
last edit by Kirigara Sugita on Dec 19, 2021 16:58:19 GMT -5
mint has written 148 posts
In the grave, he waits [Mission]Dec 19, 2021 16:58:43 GMT -5
Kirigara Sugita
Kirigara Sugita Avatar
groupnull
[newclass=.sugita]width:350px;padding:25px;text-align:justify;background-color:#ffffff;font:13px Open Sans;line-height:20px;color:#000000;[/newclass]
[newclass=.sugita:hover]margin-top:0px;opacity:1;-webkit-transition-duration:.5s;transition-duration:.5s;-moz-transition-duration:.5s;[/newclass]
[attr="class","sugita"]It didn’t do any good to wonder about what could have been. He was dead and that was that. Now, his Lifeblade was lost. Sugita, somehow being the only member of their clan without an ongoing mission, was now in charge of attempting to retrieve it. Resistance may not have been expected, but Sugita wished he could face the demons that took Shuichi’s life.

He shook his head, throwing the thoughts away. No. He didn’t wish that. He couldn’t wish that. He wasn’t like that.

Was he?

Maybe he was.

Maybe now he was.

The world was cruel and unfair. He had ever right to be upset.

Didn’t he?

"You’re doing it again,” Gingādo broke the heavy silence. He was always there. Listening. Feeling.

Sugita managed not to choke on his upcoming words, "You’re right.” He wiped the pain away from his reddened cheeks. "Let’s go. We have work to do.” His voice was obviously struggling, wavering and cracking from the weight of it all.

"Yes. Let us pay our respects, young Sugita.”

The Genin strapped Gingādo to his back carefully. He likely didn’t need his sword at all, but it was just as much Gingādo’s right to search for the lost Lifeblade as it was Sugita’s. They were forged from the same stone, so in a way they were twins. Gingādo had likely spent just as much time with Shuichi as Sugita had. Many wouldn’t believe it, but Gingādo had feelings of his own and they warranted validity.
In the grave, he waits [Mission]Dec 19, 2021 17:04:45 GMT -5
Kirigara Sugita
Kirigara Sugita Avatar
groupnull
[attr="class","sugita"]The two traveled in silence, led by heavy hearts to a village on the outskirts of Amegakure. There were no worries. Shuichi had taken care of all the dangers in the area…only with the cost of his life. Such a high price to pay for freedom. The village could rest in peace now knowing that bandits wouldn’t strike in the middle of the night. Shuichi was a shinobi, and he had done his duty.

They arrive with little to no words involved. It appears with such a short distance; Shuichi should have had support with him. Perhaps they didn’t expect such dangers to arrive during his mission. The details didn’t matter. Only the facts did at this point. The fact was that he was still dead and no amount of wishing would change that.

Sugita arrived, peering at the hip-height metal gate that separated the small village from the rest of the world. The air smelled of mud and farm animals and the pathway so old and traveled that it stuck to the bottom of his boots as he stepped. Kicking the mud away, he pressed forward, sunken eyes searching for clues but all he could see were the remnants of death. Scratched doorwars and charred wood marked with splattered blood. The rain had yet to take away the memories that remained in their physical forms.

"You’re…from Ame…aren’t you?” a small child’s voice called out. Sugita slowly turned, gazing downward at a blond-haired girl no older than six.
In the grave, he waits [Mission]Dec 19, 2021 17:24:12 GMT -5
Kirigara Sugita
Kirigara Sugita Avatar
groupnull
[attr="class","sugita"] Sugita could do nothing but stare down at her, and for several awkward seconds he continued before nodding. "That’s right.”

The small girl ran up to him, instantly reaching for his hand and tugging at it gently. "Come with me! Momma said someone might come for it.” She began to lead him the way, though Sugita felt something may have been off about the entire situation. There was no way it could be this easy to find the Shuichi’s Lifeblade. As far as he was concerned, it had been stolen by one of the bandits who had managed to sneak away in the chaos. But now this young girl was leading him away. What else could it be besides the missing Lifeblade? The coincidences were too high, right?

The Genin followed, not wanting to upset the girl as she did seem excited to help. She led him to a small cabin made of wood. The porch in the front hung several and crafted rugs of various designs. Sugita took a moment to appreciate their authenticity before heading inside. The small girl went in first. The two removed their shoes as they entered. Grey eyes scanned the room. A fireplace stood at the back of the room, embers from within licking the back walls as they danced in tribal motion. Their casted shadows glanced at Sugita as he entered, slowly admiring the warmth within the cabin. More rugs hung about on the walls and defected steel pots were piled in the corner. A few of them were separated, seemingly patched with mismatched steel.
In the grave, he waits [Mission]Dec 19, 2021 17:27:41 GMT -5
Kirigara Sugita
Kirigara Sugita Avatar
groupnull
[attr="class","sugita"]"Momma! Look! See!” the small girl yelled out.

A woman with equally beautiful and long golden hair entered the room, her hand being dragged by her daughter. Her face grew sour at the sight of Sugita who stood nearest the doorway as he could handle. "Who are you?” She turned to her daughter, "Masae I told you not to talk to anyone outside of the village. You know what just happened. Why would you put yourself in danger like that?” The mother pulled Masae behind her, shielding her from Sugita.

Sugita dropped to his knees, his forehead touching the floor as he bowed. "I am from Amegakure. I appreciate your hospitality.” He paused lifting himself to his feet. "I have traveled here to take home a prized possession of the shinobi who gave his life to protect your village. Please. You must have seen or heard something about a specialized blade.” Sugita did not skip a beat with his words which the woman took in with a dropped and quivering jaw.

She continued to show distrust for Sugita, shielding her small daughter behind her. "We’ve had bandits here for years trying every trick in the book to get what they want.” She seared through spitting teeth. "Prove it.”

The tension in the air was palpable. Sugita slowly released his blade from its resting place and began to morph it in his hand. He changed the shape to a from several things before returning it to its original. "I am from the Araikettei Clan. My name is Sugita. I will say it again. Please. What have you heard about the missing blade? Araikettei Shuichi was a good friend of mine. I will find his blade and bring it home to be with him.”
last edit by Kirigara Sugita on Dec 19, 2021 17:28:39 GMT -5
In the grave, he waits [Mission]Dec 19, 2021 17:35:06 GMT -5
Kirigara Sugita
Kirigara Sugita Avatar
groupnull
[attr="class","sugita"]Sugita’s eyes pleaded, and his words seemed to reach the mother to his surprise. Her arm relaxed from protecting her daughter, but her eyes strayed to the side to show both guilt and regret. "We…we sold it.”

The Genin boy said nothing and in fact didn’t budge or react to the woman’s words, though rage ensued within him. "To who?”

The woman paused; her head hunkered. "A man by the name of The Smith. He lives west of here. I’m sorry but I don’t know much else about him. I only know he offers a good price for antiques…you’ve seen the town…we needed the money.” The guilt in her eyes was genuine, but that didn’t help the rage that began to rise in Sugita’s mind. The Lifeblades weren’t antiques. They were real. They had thoughts and feelings.

Sugita didn’t let it show and instead bowed. "Thank you, again, for your hospitality.” He put his shoes back on and quietly exited the home. He had nothing to else to say, but he wouldn’t just leave it at that. He now knew who purchased Shuichi’s Lifeblade and the direction in which he could find that man. Perhaps outside of his mission details, he couldn’t just leave it as it was. It belonged with Shuichi in the end.
In the grave, he waits [Mission]Dec 19, 2021 17:54:15 GMT -5
Kirigara Sugita
Kirigara Sugita Avatar
groupnull
[attr="class","sugita"]It wasn’t hard for Sugita to find The Smith’s location. Smoke traveled upward through the trees where his forge was ablaze. He knocked on the door and waited patiently for a response. Hard and loud footsteps could be heard from within coming towards the door. The sound of an older man grumbling ensued before the creek of the door sounded as it was slung open.

"What is it?”

"Ehhhh? Who the hell are you?”

The Genin bowed politely. "My name is Sugita. I am from Amegakure. I am looking for a lost blade from a fallen clansman. Please, may I come in?”

The old man glared through narrowed lids. "Fu—Fine. Make it quick.” He slung the door open more and allowed Sugita to enter. The inside heat instantly warmed Sugita’s face.

The Genin look around, his grey eyes resting on a blade standing upright in the corner of the room. "This.” He walked forward, pointing to Shuichi’s blade. "How much?”

The old man let out a hardy laugh. "More than a child like you could ever think to scrape up. That there is a one of a kind. You’re time’s up kid. Leave.” The Smith returned to his forge, beating away at a red-hot sword on the anvil.

In the grave, he waits [Mission]Dec 19, 2021 17:55:41 GMT -5
Kirigara Sugita
Kirigara Sugita Avatar
groupnull
[attr="class","sugita"]"I’m sorry, but I cannot do that. How much?” Sugita pressed on stubbornly.

The man let out a sigh before turning around. "Look, I said it’s---” his eyes widened and then a smirk grew on his face. "How about a trade? Your blade for this one ‘ere?” Sugita’s blade was much larger than Shuichi’s but crafted of the same ore. A trade would be in favor of the man.

Sugita paused and stared, contemplating the agreement.

"Young Sugita…you wouldn’t.”

"Fine.” The Genin removed the blade from his back and handed it to the man before turning around to retrieve Shuichi’s blade. The old man seemed pleased as he eyed the wealth that now sat clutched in his hands.

"Sugita…please…” Gingādo pleaded.

"Done. Now leave. I don’t have any more time to waste on you.”

Sugita saw his way out, glancing at Gingādo who now sat in the corner of the room in place Shuichi’s Lifeblade. "Gingādo…”

"Eh?” The old man questioned.

"Come.” Sugita’s hand reached out and his Lifeblade returned to him, surrounding his body in the special metal alloy.

The Smith charged forward and was met with striking speed as Sugita now held Shuichi’s blade to his throat as soon as he were the blink. "You’ll think about this again. These are not antiques. These are not objects to be pawned off to the highest bidder or to take advantage of a family in need. These are comrades. If I ever get a HINT of something like this happening again, I’ll come down here myself and make sure you’re taken care of personally. Are we clear?” Sugita’s voice had changed and his typical calm and apologetic vibe was entirely gone. He meant business and it showed.

The man’s hands flew upward, "Fine, fine. Take the damn sword and go, then.”

"Stay clear of the village as well. I’ll be back to check on them. Don’t think even for a minute I’ll forget who you are or how to find you.”
In the grave, he waits [Mission]Dec 19, 2021 18:02:08 GMT -5
Kirigara Sugita
Kirigara Sugita Avatar
groupnull
[attr="class","sugita"]Sugita swiftly took his leave, the door slamming behind him. He could feel the rage slowly begin to die within him as he gripped the hilt of Shuichi’s blade in his hand. White knuckled, he fell to his knees and cried over the blade.

Gingādo slunk from him, the metal melting away and taking its original form. "You…weren’t going to trade me, then?”

Sugita wiped his tears. "Never.”

The travel back home was not quite as heavy as his travel to the village, though it was seemingly just as quiet. Sugita’s blade was at its resting place on his back, but he carefully held onto Shuichi’s with both hands as he walked. He went straight home, returning to the clan compound where he met with the elder in charge of Shuichi’s burial. Sugita lowered himself to his knees and presented the Lifeblade which was taken gently and proudly by the elder.

"You have come a long way, my child…Shuichi would be proud of you. I hope that you know this.” The elder spoke with a hoarse voice as he began to instantly clean the blade.

Sugita could not find the strength within himself to respond to the kind words of the man, but his heart sung with both joy and grief. The song was unlike one he had ever experienced. He hoped he would only ever have to hear it once, but knew he would never forget it.
In the grave, he waits [Mission]Dec 19, 2021 18:06:27 GMT -5
Kirigara Sugita
Kirigara Sugita Avatar
groupnull
[attr="class","sugita"]The next day, Sugita dressed in his finest. Covered from head to toe in black, he found his way to the burial grounds for his clan. Many people seemed to be attending, their faces all wearing the same masks. Sugita could see through it so easily. They pretended to grieve when they did not even know Shuichi for the man that he was. Sugita’s however, was real.

Beautiful crafted of rich oak, the coffin that was displayed at the center of the burial grounds held what remained of his childhood friend. Atop the coffin, his Lifeblade now sat, sunken within the wood and protected with a layer of fine glass to preserve it. This is what Shuichi deserved. To be buried without his Lifeblade…that was no way to go.

The young Genin found some relief in seeing the sight for himself, though it didn’t take the pain of loss away from him. He watched as his friend entered the earth, becoming once with the world that he so desperately tried to protect. The village wouldn’t forget Shuichi. They mistreated his name and his legacy, but they wouldn’t ever forget him.

And neither would Sugita. He took this moment of silence to remember the man he knew and the friend he had.