learn, adapt, overcome | kasumi

compose a reply
learn, adapt, overcome | kasumiFeb 16, 2022 6:13:02 GMT -5
yamaguchi daichi
however long it takes.
yamaguchi daichi Avatar
groupMist Shinobi
age 17 years old birthday september 23 rank chuunin occupation mizukage bodyguard

I COULD EAT THE WORLD RAW

There were several Kirigakure genin participating in the exams, and as he was looking over their files, one girl in particular had caught Daichi’s interest: Momochi Kasumi. Sixteen, specializing in kenjutsu and ninjutsu, with a fair amount of experience with D and C-rank missions under her belt. All in all, she seemed like a relatively strong contender in the exams. He was curious about her.

His duties prior to the exams beginning had him doing perimeter sweeps in the area surrounding the dormitories a few times a day, and it was during one of these sweeps that he noticed the girl in question—dark hair in twin tails, a big jacket over a bikini top—at the training yard. There were a few days left before the first round, so it made sense that she would be practicing.

Daichi finished his sweep first. When he doubled back, the girl was still there.

They were roughly the same age, and they’d been in the academy and genin at the same time, but they’d never gotten close; but then, he'd never gotten close with anyone. He’d kept to himself back then, horrifically shy and terrified of accidentally revealing clan secrets, and hadn’t interacted with many people beyond what he was required to do for training and missions. He was less solitary as he got older, but he was definitely feeling the consequences of his actions now.

He wasn’t quite sure how to approach her, and wasn’t sure he even strictly wanted to, so he settled for hanging back at the edge of the training yard and quietly watching her work.

LAIKA OF THQ

last edit by yamaguchi daichi on Mar 8, 2022 19:26:00 GMT -5
tactician has written 260 posts
learn, adapt, overcome | kasumiFeb 19, 2022 22:14:40 GMT -5
Kasumi Momochi
A true justice must be served.
Kasumi Momochi Avatar
groupMist Shinobi
age 17 years old birthday Feburary 22nd rank Chuunin occupation

A DEMON HAS PURPOSE
There is only one path left to take.

Training for Kasumi was something she'd compare to Yoga for a civilian. It was soothing, and relaxing. The only problem with training at these exams was she didn't want to expose any of her abilities. So she was doing exercises, push ups and jumping jacks. As she was in the middle of a set of jumping jacks, she spotted the man the first time.

He was from Mist, and she vaguely recognized him from her academy days. He must have graduated before her. She decided to pay him no attention.

Then he came back around, eyeing her again and this time she was again doing jumping jacks. Now she sent him a hard glare, stomping towards the boy.

"Like what you see or somethin', pervert?" She asked, folding her arms over her breasts. "I haven't said this show was free, y'know."

Kasumi let out a huff, rolling her eyes. "You're a chuunin now, then? I'll be catching up soon you know. Gave you a head start out of kindness. What do they have you up to these days?"

SAs:
Demon Chakra:

Kasumi has become known for her strange chakara form. When in a dire situation, she is capable of releasing her chakra, which in turn takes a strange color unlike the normal blue color of chakra, and takes the form of a demonic cat figure. She is then enveloped in a demon shroud.

This ability grants her a fierce looking aura, that may come off as intimidating and a tenacity to push beyond their normal limits physically- when this mode is activated, Kasumi is harder to knock out or kill and will generally fight for longer than a normal body is capable of.

Keeping this ability active has a medium drain on Kasumi's chakara.

Kenjutsu Training:
Since a young age, Kasumi has felt the weight of a sword in her hands. She's practiced combat with swords, and is able to compete with some of the best sword users around. That said, people who lack training with a sword or intensive Taijutsu tend to be overwhelmed by her skill.

Large Chakra Reserves:
Kasumi was born with higher than average chakara reserves, letting her use more chakara and jutsu without being exhausted. A natural gift from her lineage. She has learned how to properly take advantage of these reserves.

Equipment: Hakushika Kami

Jutsu used:

Bloo has written 496 posts
learn, adapt, overcome | kasumiFeb 23, 2022 9:22:49 GMT -5
yamaguchi daichi
however long it takes.
yamaguchi daichi Avatar
groupMist Shinobi
age 17 years old birthday september 23 rank chuunin occupation mizukage bodyguard

Daichi hadn’t realized how his observation could be misinterpreted until Kasumi gave him a vicious glare and folded her arms across her chest, at which point Daichi’s uncovered eye immediately went wide and he raised his hands in the universal woah, don’t shoot gesture.

"I’m so sorry, I didn’t mean to make you uncomfortable,” he said instantly, and then, with utmost innocent sincerity: "I was just really impressed by your form. I work out—kind of a lot, I guess—I just don’t usually see genin being so careful about their form. It’s impressive.”

He scratched the back of his head. Way to get off on the wrong foot, dummy.

"Yeah, I’m a chuunin,” he said. Maybe she did remember him from the academy, then. He didn’t want to assume she remembered his name, though, so— "Yamaguchi Daichi. I promoted… a little less than a year ago? I’m one of Lord Mizukage’s bodyguards now.” He said this with obvious pride, his posture straightening just so, a little grin tugging at the corner of his mouth despite himself. "I was just doing a patrol around the dorms before heading back to the office when I noticed you training, and I was just—curious, I guess. You’re one of Kiri’s strongest contenders for the exams, I think.”

Daichi ran a hand through his hair, the already wayward mop sticking out in a few different directions, and said jokingly, "Obviously you’ve got it all under control, though, with confidence like that. Wish I’d felt that way before my exams."

LAIKA OF THQ
learn, adapt, overcome | kasumiMar 7, 2022 18:00:26 GMT -5
Kasumi Momochi
Kasumi Momochi Avatar
groupMist Shinobi

A DEMON HAS PURPOSE

The boy didn't seem to have any strange intentions in watching her, and Kasumi believed him. I mean, she knew just enough about the guy to know he was an earnest type. One of the very few willing to help her every once in a while in her graduating class.

"I remembered your name, Daichi. Some people stood out to me that I graduated with." She said with a slight smirk. "Unless you forgot me? I don't imagine so."

She rolled her shoulders and relaxed a bit, looking the man up and down rightly. He thought she was a strong contender? She was flattered, but not sure if she believed it.

"The confidence shows more than I feel it, I guess. There's some monsters in this thing. I'm strong, but I don't know. One wrong step and it's a failure or death." She admitted, holding her hand forward and showing a visible shake. "I'll calm down more when it starts, I hope."

She shoved her hands into her pockets, as if to hide the embarrassing tremble.

"You're watching after Toru-kun then? Better keep a good eye on 'em."

SAs:
Demon Chakra:

Kasumi has become known for her strange chakara form. When in a dire situation, she is capable of releasing her chakra, which in turn takes a strange color unlike the normal blue color of chakra, and takes the form of a demonic cat figure. She is then enveloped in a demon shroud.

This ability grants her a fierce looking aura, that may come off as intimidating and a tenacity to push beyond their normal limits physically- when this mode is activated, Kasumi is harder to knock out or kill and will generally fight for longer than a normal body is capable of.

Kenjutsu Training:
Since a young age, Kasumi has felt the weight of a sword in her hands. She's practiced combat with swords, and is able to compete with some of the best sword users around. That said, people who lack training with a sword or intensive Taijutsu tend to be overwhelmed by her skill.

Large Chakra Reserves:
Kasumi was born with higher than average chakara reserves, letting her use more chakara and jutsu without being exhausted. A natural gift from her lineage. She has learned how to properly take advantage of these reserves.

Jutsu used:

learn, adapt, overcome | kasumiMar 8, 2022 19:36:31 GMT -5
yamaguchi daichi
however long it takes.
yamaguchi daichi Avatar
groupMist Shinobi

"Definitely not,” Daichi said, relaxing minutely. She wasn’t mad at him, thank goodness; he’d hate to think that he made her that uncomfortable. "You’re hard to forget.”

He didn’t remember all that well, to be honest, but at the academy he had a general memory of her as a bright and talkative girl. At some point she grew angry and fierce and temperamental, but he didn’t remember that being off-putting then, and she seemed somehow more mellow now, more self-assured.

But she held her hand out to him, showing him how she was trembling, and he made a quiet noise of sympathy. He knew a thing or two about projecting confidence he didn’t feel in truth.

"I think it’s easier when it starts, yeah,” he said thoughtfully. "You have too much time to speculate and worry beforehand. Once you’re in it, you’re in it, you know? Only thing to do is focus and get it done.”

Her hands went back in her pockets. Toru-kun, she said, and Daichi immediately frowned.

"Lord Mizukage,” he corrected. "I’m doing my best—though, okay, can I ask you something?” He didn’t wait for her confirmation before barrelling through, now apparently on a mission of some kind. "You’re not the first person I’ve heard refer to him like that. The other guy had specific reasons, I guess, but—why d’you do it?”

LAIKA OF THQ

learn, adapt, overcome | kasumiMar 13, 2022 10:32:52 GMT -5
Kasumi Momochi
Kasumi Momochi Avatar
groupMist Shinobi

A DEMON HAS PURPOSE

Kasumi wasn't shocked when he admitted he remembered her. They weren't close or anything, but most people seemed to remember Kasumi after they met her, if the hushed whispers were anything to go off of. Still, she nodded her head as he explained that it gets easier after it starts.

"I feel like I work better in the moment anyway. Planning and thinking isn't exactly my specialty." He might remember that book smarts weren't exactly her thing either. "I'm hoping for a first place, but... there's some competition here."

He corrected her quickly about what she'd called the Mizukage, and for a moment her jaw tightened. Her gaze turned harder and colder as she looked at the man.

"A mistake, really. I've met him a lot. More than most Genin. For a minute I thought we were friends, but he reminded me we weren't." She said, looking away as her fists tightened a bit. "Demons don't get many friends, but if I work hard enough here I'm hoping to earn at least some respect."

She spat to the side, then rolled her shoulders.

"They don't have to like me, but they'll have to respect me if I get first."

SAs:
Demon Chakra:

Kenjutsu Training:

Large Chakra Reserves:

Jutsu used:

learn, adapt, overcome | kasumiMar 16, 2022 0:47:52 GMT -5
yamaguchi daichi
however long it takes.
yamaguchi daichi Avatar
groupMist Shinobi

If planning and thinking weren’t Kasumi’s speciality, then that didn’t bode well for her future as a chuunin, Daichi thought—but he kept that to himself. It depended on her ability to improvise and keep cool in the moment; she didn’t necessarily have to have a skillset as a backroom strategist in order to be capable of tight leadership in the field. Time would tell, he supposed.

But he struck a nerve with his question, apparently, which made him instantly both deeply curious and very guilty.

"It’s a good goal,” he said awkwardly, stalling for just a few seconds of time while he tried to think of something else to say. I thought we were friends, but he reminded me we weren’t. That just—sounded so unlike the Mizukage he knew. Toru was blunt, sure, but he wasn’t callous, yet it was clear that he had hurt Kasumi’s feelings deeply with whatever conversation they had. A miscommunication, maybe?

Demons don’t get many friends. The Mizukage didn’t either, and it seemed rash for him to throw one of the scant few he had away.

"Do you… mind if I ask what happened?” Daichi asked hesitantly. He could’ve given some lame excuse for the request, he supposed, but as ever he erred on the side of being forthright. "It just—doesn’t really sound like him, you know? I’d like to know the context, if you’re willing to share, maybe I can help clear things up.”

LAIKA OF THQ
learn, adapt, overcome | kasumiMar 16, 2022 9:22:28 GMT -5
Kasumi Momochi
Kasumi Momochi Avatar
groupMist Shinobi

A DEMON HAS PURPOSE

The boy was judging her, and Kasumi could feel it. She had been judged often in her life, and the feeling of it never really went away. It didn't bother her, though, a Genin saying they weren't great at planning was a foolish thing to imagine.

"Goals are important. Have to set them as obtainable and still rewarding. You understand, right?" She assumed so, since he said her goal was good. Then he went on to pry about the interaction that hurt Kasumi's feelings.

"It doesn't sound like the Mizukage? Hn." Kasumi thought that sounded just like something Toru would say, but instead it seemed that Kasumi had a faulty view on it. "It was a perspective that I needed to switch. The Mizukage isn't allowed to have friends, Daichi-san. It compromises him. That's what he told me at least. Whether that was just some fancy way to brush me or not I can't say."

She didn't think it was. She couldn't imagine Toru lying about something so stupid.

"He did say that even though it wasn't possible to earn his friendship, it was possible to earn his respect though. It made me realize if I earned his respect, I could earn the respect of everyone else as well."

SAs:
Demon Chakra:

Kenjutsu Training:

Large Chakra Reserves:

Jutsu used:

learn, adapt, overcome | kasumiApr 6, 2022 11:23:21 GMT -5
yamaguchi daichi
however long it takes.
yamaguchi daichi Avatar
groupMist Shinobi

You understand, right? Daichi nodded—he did. His entire life had been a series of goals, another three lying in wait every time he marked one off his list. Every one of them actionable and achievable—in theory.

A deep furrow wedged its way into his brow as Kasumi explained what had happened—and still it didn’t make sense. Toru was deeply solitary, but to go so far as to reject her outright… he wondered why.

Daichi wasn’t friendly with Toru in the same way he was with, say, Enri, but Toru had never shut him out like that, even when Daichi pried with dumb personal questions or nagged him to eat for the third time in a day. Daichi respected him deeply, fundamentally, and maybe it was bold of him to think so—but he thought that respect was mutual, at least to some degree. They wouldn’t work together so well if it wasn’t.

It compromises him. That stood out.

"I think,” Daichi said slowly, his thoughts gathering even as he gave them voice, "for someone like Lord Mizukage, respect and friendship are just about the same thing.”

There was a philosophical quandary there, and the fatal flaw in the logic Toru had laid out for Kasumi was that obviously many different Kage in many different villages had successfully maintained rich and fulfilling personal lives while serving their nations—but that was something to file in the back of his mind, added to the checklist of has he eaten, how much water has he drank, has he slept, when was the last time he took more than a five-minute break.

"I’m sorry for prying,” he said after a moment. "That probably wasn’t a great time for you when it happened, and you don’t know me at all, it’s a personal thing to ask—I just want to help, if I can.”

LAIKA OF THQ

learn, adapt, overcome | kasumiApr 11, 2022 9:29:13 GMT -5
Kasumi Momochi
Kasumi Momochi Avatar
groupMist Shinobi

A DEMON HAS PURPOSE

Kasumi perked up only slightly when the man explained that respect and friendship were likely the same for Toru. She had thought of it the same way herself, for a time, but she decided it just wasn't worth justifying. All it did was give her some hope, it felt like, and with hope there was disappointment. She didn't care for either.

Not because it compromised her, no, but because it hurt more than it was worth.

"You don't need to apologize. You asked, I answered. It's not prying." She'd look back at the training grounds, thinking about what exercise she should do next. "I'm not hurt about it, not anymore. I think it was a gift, really. You know what it was like for me when we were younger, with the rumors of me killing my own cousin in cold blood."

She'd look back at him, shrugging off the pain from her past like it was water on her shoulders.

"If all I can get is respect, then that's what I'll take. I'll get his respect. Your respect. The villages respect. I might be a demon, but this village might have a use for  demon and that's a role I can fill. If you want to help, then you can make sure I get the room to do just that."

SAs:
Demon Chakra:

Demon sword style:

Demon chakra pool:

Jutsu used:

learn, adapt, overcome | kasumiMay 2, 2022 1:42:56 GMT -5
yamaguchi daichi
however long it takes.
yamaguchi daichi Avatar
groupMist Shinobi

He did remember the rumors, now that he thought about it—Daichi had kept to himself, but Kasumi had been actively shunned. He’d never thought much of the story, unimpressed even then by hearsay and wild speculation. In retrospect, he thought that maybe the rumor that she’d killed someone would be something other aspiring shinobi would respect, considering their chosen career paths… but maybe it was different when you were only twelve, and killing still seemed like such a distant concept.

It seemed to weigh on her still, but she did her best to leave it behind. Her focus on the village, the mission, her personal goals, it was sharp as a katana’s edge. Kasumi’s file was impressive, but in person, she was something else entirely.

"I can do that,” he said, nodding. "And, for what it’s worth… you have my respect, Kasumi-san. Whatever that might mean to you.” A small smile tugged at his mouth. "We can train together when the exams are done, if you’d like? I think I could learn a lot from you.”

It wasn’t lip service, either. Daichi couldn’t use a sword to save his life, and while he was decent with ninjutsu, his speciality leaned more towards barriers and sensory techniques, nothing like what Kasumi had in her repertoire.

LAIKA OF THQ

learn, adapt, overcome | kasumiMay 23, 2022 10:45:46 GMT -5
Kasumi Momochi
Kasumi Momochi Avatar
groupMist Shinobi

A DEMON HAS PURPOSE

Kasumi wasn't sure what she expected the boy to say to her words, but she wasn't prepared for him to acknowledge her. A Chuunin acknowledging her skill was not something she had experienced much of. Hell, most of the Chuunin she ran into were out to break her or show off their own talent. Maybe the boy was just too nice.

"Right." She said, as if just to buy time while she dealt with the strange feelings she got from the respect he showed. "We can do that. I'm pretty much always training anyway so... it's fun to mix it up with company sometimes."

Far from a lie. Kasumi had a habit of hitting a wall when she tried alone, and nowadays the Mizukage was too busy to supply too much assistance in it. She was too shy to ask, too.

"It was good to see you again, though. I'm sure I can learn more from you than I can teach you, though. Don't get your hopes too high."

Kasumi would warn, stepping back towards the field to continue her basic training she was in.

"Don't forget that offer, though. I'll take you up on it. Maybe I'll even be a chuunin by then."

End?

SAs:
Demon Chakra:

Demon sword style:

Demon chakra pool:

Jutsu used:

learn, adapt, overcome | kasumiJun 26, 2022 4:26:33 GMT -5
yamaguchi daichi
however long it takes.
yamaguchi daichi Avatar
groupMist Shinobi

It’s fun to mix it up with company sometimes. Not exactly an enthusiastic yes to his offer, but it wasn’t a no either. Daichi grinned.

Kasumi stepped back, clearly eager to get back to her training—understandably, considering the event looming on the week’s horizon.

"It was good to see you too,” he said. "I’ll let you get back to it.” He took a step back himself, getting ready to depart. He was supposed to be on patrol—he should have gotten back to his own duties several minutes ago. It was nice, though, to catch up with her, even as he tried to turn over whatever interpersonal trouble she had run into with the Mizukage in the back of his mind.

There was something he could do to help, he was sure of it. He just had to figure out what the problem was first.

"I’ll look forward to it,” he said, his face cracking into a wide smile. "Do your best, Kasumi-san!”

And he got back to work.

[EXIT LEFT, PURSUED BY BEARS.]

LAIKA OF THQ

quick reply

compose a reply