Stagnation (Toru)Jun 5, 2022 8:39:39 GMT -5
Kasumi Momochi
A true justice must be served.
Kasumi Momochi Avatar
groupMist Shinobi
age 17 years old birthday Feburary 22nd rank Chuunin occupation

A DEMON HAS PURPOSE
There is only one path left to take.

The weeks were rough lately for Kasumi. She felt rather alone in her endeavors, despite the fact that she had at least some assistance seemingly every step of the way. Even if that assistance was Taki Okada, the girl that Kasumi could barely look at without feeling a frustration in the pit of her stomach. Still, all roads seemed to lead to her here, at the training grounds earlier than most.

Alone, she sat in the tree mindlessly making one handed seals with her right hand. She had the motions about mastered. She wasn't even bad at the chakra manipulation anymore.

Yet still, something was missing from the equation. She couldn't decide what it was, not really. All this time had passed since the exams she had barely passed. Others had already received their promotions, but she was far from ready. She had nothing new to bring to her Chuunin career if she couldn't master even something as simple as one handed seals.

"Suiton: Kageōda."

She cast the jutsu, the water dagger weaker than regular but piercing the tree across from her nonetheless. The jutsu she had practiced the most still only came out right only part of the times. Her forehead hit her knees and her eyes shut tightly. What was she missing?

SAs:
Demon Chakra:

Kasumi has become known for her strange chakara form. When in a dire situation, she is capable of releasing her chakra, which in turn takes a strange color unlike the normal blue color of chakra, and takes the form of a demonic cat figure. She is then enveloped in a demon shroud.

This ability grants her a fierce looking aura, that may come off as intimidating and a tenacity to push beyond their normal limits physically- when this mode is activated, Kasumi is harder to knock out or kill and will generally fight for longer than a normal body is capable of.

Keeping this ability active has a medium drain on Kasumi's chakara.

Demon sword style:
Since a young age, Kasumi has felt the weight of a sword in her hands. She's practiced combat with swords, and is able to compete with some of the best sword users around. That said, people who lack training with a sword or intensive Taijutsu tend to be overwhelmed by her skill.

Demon chakra pool:
Kasumi was born with higher than average chakara reserves, letting her use more chakara and jutsu without being exhausted. A natural gift from her lineage. She has learned how to properly take advantage of these reserves.

Equipment: Hakushika Kami

Jutsu used:

NAME: Suiton: Kageōda (Water Release: Shadow Strike)
CHAKRA USAGE: Low
CLASSIFICATION: Ninjutsu
ELEMENT:
DESCRIPTION:

Mixing their chakra with the water present in the earth, the user creates a small katana-like blade beneath the surface and causes it to extend upwards from beneath the target at the speed of a kunai. The blade can extent indefinitely, however it cannot move from it's original trajectory.

Bloo has written 496 posts
Stagnation (Toru)Jun 5, 2022 9:23:14 GMT -5
Kaguya Toru
"Live or die, just do it well.
Kaguya Toru Avatar
groupMist Shinobi
age 16 years old birthday August 5, 1007 rank Elite Jounin occupation Mizukage
I would know him in death
At the end of the world

Toru was sitting in a tree nearby, watching Kasumi from the shadows. He himself had been in the office for all too long, he needed a breath of fresh air. Some time to train. It was something that came to him very rarely nowadays, he barely had the time to focus on anything other than paperwork and the village's progression. All of this was emphasized by his fifteenth birthday coming around, he was two months shy of it, and yet he felt as if he were fifteen years older than even that.

The girl formed a spear and shot it at a tree across from her. The water dissipating once it made its impact. Then she pressed her forehead against her knees in frustration. It was at that moment that Toru disappeared from his branch, to reappear right next to Kasumi on her branch. He didn't stir the air or the leaves around, he just appeared.

"Kasumi."

His voice carried the same blandness it always did, but there was a bit more to the tonality of it. Just a little more. A drop of honey. A modicum of kindness, something he usually only showed through action, not words, and even then his actions could only ever be seen as 'tough love'.

"Why have you not filed for your promotion? Why has your sensei not spoken to me about it?" It seemed off that there had been such a silent lull ever since the exams. This was meant to start a conversation, he wanted to see what the girl was so frustrated about.

Han has written 2,374 posts
Stagnation (Toru)Jun 5, 2022 9:38:16 GMT -5
Kasumi Momochi
Kasumi Momochi Avatar
groupMist Shinobi

A DEMON HAS PURPOSE

Kasumi's pity party was interrupted by the voice suddenly in front of her, making her jump only a bit. She recognized the voice quickly, pressing her back to the tree and scrambling to her feet as quickly as she reasonably could. Being seen with this attitude was far from what she wanted. Especially by him.

"M-Mizukage-sama..." she said, the words slowly sinking in on her while her back straightened in attempt to restore some dignity, "the promotion? Ah, uh."

Her voice was strange too. Lost was the friendly tone she carried in most of their interactions. She had taken a step away from thinking she had a friend in the Kage. The boy was far too busy for something like that.

"I'm... not sure I'm ready. I know I passed the exams, but... well, it was just fifth place, sir. It means I'd be behind my peers, right? I'm trying... I guess trying to make sure I'm a Chuunin will be proud of. I don't know if that's even something I can do though."

She'd look away from the leader, her cheeks a little red and voice even tighter than before. She'd make a few hand signs with her right hand.

"I'm trying to master this, at least. Maybe if I do that, it'll be a step forward. I'm sorry if I disappointed you."

SAs:
Demon Chakra:

Kasumi has become known for her strange chakara form. When in a dire situation, she is capable of releasing her chakra, which in turn takes a strange color unlike the normal blue color of chakra, and takes the form of a demonic cat figure. She is then enveloped in a demon shroud.

This ability grants her a fierce looking aura, that may come off as intimidating and a tenacity to push beyond their normal limits physically- when this mode is activated, Kasumi is harder to knock out or kill and will generally fight for longer than a normal body is capable of.

Demon sword style:
Since a young age, Kasumi has felt the weight of a sword in her hands. She's practiced combat with swords, and is able to compete with some of the best sword users around. That said, people who lack training with a sword or intensive Taijutsu tend to be overwhelmed by her skill.

Demon chakra pool:
Kasumi was born with higher than average chakara reserves, letting her use more chakara and jutsu without being exhausted. A natural gift from her lineage. She has learned how to properly take advantage of these reserves.

Jutsu used:

Stagnation (Toru)Jun 5, 2022 9:47:37 GMT -5
Kaguya Toru
Kaguya Toru Avatar
groupMist Shinobi
At the end of the world

Toru tilted his head to the side at Kasumi at her grievance. It was a strange one. To him, anyway.

"Fifth, out of fifty hopefuls?" Fifth out of fifty was not really as bad as she was making it seem. To say that there were only four others in the entire world that were better candidates for chunin was impressive, but perhaps she was seeing it from a different direction. Kasumi was, in fact, clearly viewing it from the other end. She was seeing it as a fifth out of a possible five to her. Or perhaps that was how Toru was reading it. He hopped down to the ground, as always not a single thing around him stirred.

"Imagine how ridiculous I would sound if I said, that out of every candidate in the entire world you came in fifth and were not good enough to promote." He shook his head, trying to bring attention to just how ludicrous the concern was but he also did not want to diminish her concerns, so he was trying to be a little more self-focused than focused on Kasumi and her thoughts.

He watched her when she raised the one hand with the hand seal.

"A good thing to know for any swordmaster... What are you struggling with in its regard?" It could be anything, chakra control, channeling enough chakra, or even performing the shapes without a second hand being present.

"You haven't disappointed me. You didn't die. You scored among the highest. Taru and yourself are the pride of Kirigakure..."

Stagnation (Toru)Jun 5, 2022 10:06:35 GMT -5
Kasumi Momochi
Kasumi Momochi Avatar
groupMist Shinobi

A DEMON HAS PURPOSE

Toru was quick to explain the flaws in her logic, even if Kasumi wasn't in the space to absorb the information. Out of fifty hopefuls she was only the fifth ranked. To most, it would be an impressive accomplishment. To her, it should be. For no clear reason... it wasn't.

"Honestly, you could probably tell me the sky above us is green and you wouldn't sound ridiculous. You move with such confidence and knowledge, it's hard to imagine questioning anything you say." Kasumi would admit, jumping down from the tree herself with a slight grunt. She'd spit to the side as he explained she was learning a useful technique. If you could call it learning.

"I wanted to be number one. I wanted to be something respectable. You think I'm worthy of the pride of Kirigakure, and you don't sound ridiculous saying that either. Maybe you're right, but I know... I could have done better."

She'd shrug. Taru had done better, at least. Even if she did fine enough, Kasumi at least played second fiddle to her comrade.

"The hardest part is I don't even know what I'm struggling with. Sometimes the chakra feels perfect. Sometimes the hands feel perfect. Then the aim is off. Or the hands aren't right, even though I've done them a thousand damned times."

She'd let out a sigh. Whatever she was missing... it might not have been in knowledge. It seemed she was missing something in her mind that would let her succeed.

"This feels like forever ago, the last time you trained me in something. Heh. I don't know I'll ever get to a point I don't need your help."

SAs:
Demon Chakra:

Demon sword style:

Demon chakra pool:

Jutsu used:

Stagnation (Toru)Jun 5, 2022 10:16:40 GMT -5
Kaguya Toru
Kaguya Toru Avatar
groupMist Shinobi
At the end of the world

"Being content with one's own progression causes stagnation," He said with a shrug, going to lean against the trunk of the oak. It was spring, soon to be summer. The tree was brilliantly green with beautiful leaves that had such a nice pattern, round corners, nothing out of place. Nature always knew the right way. One of Toru's fingers - his index - extended out and pressed against the trunk and followed a line within the bark.

"We are water, a river, an ocean's current. Always moving and improving." Toru remarked to the girl, hoping that a part of what he said would at least soak in. Even in a small part of what he said.

Perhaps it was an important part of her journey to not have received first place. Perhaps her ego needed to be checked somewhere along the way. Here she was facing that now, that to be the best, well it was hard, and there might always be someone better in one area or field or another. But to always strive towards being the best? It was a noble thing.

Of course, it also helped that ego, it would remind Kasumi to never make statements of being the best in anything. Perhaps she would carry that with her long enough to exchange that information with younger generations of shinobi, one day.

She explained and Toru knew that it was consistency. Which meant *perfect* practice was what she needed, so he motioned for her to come closer the hand that was on the bark was now reaching out to her.

"Take my hand." If she did, he would intertwine their fingers together. "I will perform hand seals, you will copy them with my hand as if it were your second hand." It was a strange practice, but one that could help her visualize going forward.

Stagnation (Toru)Jun 5, 2022 10:28:37 GMT -5
Kasumi Momochi
Kasumi Momochi Avatar
groupMist Shinobi

A DEMON HAS PURPOSE

Being content leads to stagnation, a phrase that Kasumi believed. She was far from vccontent. She was out here every day, it felt like. Struggling to find time for anything else... but he explained that they could be like water. Moving and improving as the time passed.

A curiously fitting comparison for the village.

"Water..." Kasumi felt as a slow current struggling to even catch up with her peers at this point, hardly the force to accomplish such a feat. If she wanted any hope, her weak current would need to mold into a tidal wave fit to bury a mountain.

There was only one way to do that, really, and sitting around in frustration was far from it. Working. Working harder than she had before. She thought of her sensei, the annoying old lady that would push her around every time they met. A tidal wave fit to topple even her would be needed.

When Toru asked for her hand, she'd placed it inside of his before she had even considered the action. The boy was taller than her, by just a hairs length, and younger... but Kasumi wondered for a moment if this is what it felt like to have a sibling.

"R-right." She muttered out, snapping from the strange thoughts. "I'm ready when you are, Mizukage-sama."

A paddle from the Mizukage himself would be a good start to the tidal wave Kasumi needed to be to surpass her rivals. She certainly wouldn't pass it up.

SAs:
Demon Chakra:

Demon sword style:

Demon chakra pool:

Jutsu used:

Stagnation (Toru)Jun 5, 2022 11:07:40 GMT -5
Kaguya Toru
Kaguya Toru Avatar
groupMist Shinobi
At the end of the world

Toru noticed that she was in some form of contemplation, moving toward him without a great deal of focus to her gaze. He wondered if she was still stuck on what he had said earlier about the water, moving and improving. Well, if she was, he could at least be glad that he was getting to her in some way or another. But, for now, she agreed to the practice. He would extend his arm so they had a decent amount of distance between them without it being too awkward. Toru didn't like being close or touching much, a solid amount of distance was best, after all, he wasn't trying to get close to her to kill her... That was usually the only time he ever got close to anyone.

Now once she had verbalized that she was ready he would nod briefly and begin the exercise. To some, it might seem quite silly from the outside, but Toru found that this could very well help her precision and consistency. If she was really facing the difficulties that she was, he was convinced this would help without a doubt. So, he started.

First, his fingers moved to the tiger sign, an easy solid place to start.

Stagnation (Toru)Jun 5, 2022 11:56:17 GMT -5
Kasumi Momochi
Kasumi Momochi Avatar
groupMist Shinobi

A DEMON HAS PURPOSE

Toru stayed quiet, keeping Kasumi at as much of a distance as was possible it felt. Well, possible while holding hands, at least. Kasumi didn't mind, even if her siblings curiosity was feeling less and less likely. He made the hand sign for tiger, and Kasumi quickly matched it with her own right hand. Her practice at this showed rather well, as she was pretty spot on, only making the most minor adjustments.

"Have you been well?"

She asked simply. Again she reasoned that if she wanted to learn this technique, she'd need to do it under the distraction of something. This wasn't a battle but at the least a conversation was some type of distraction.

"With the exams here, and the rebuilding... can't help but imagine the workload has increased. I met your body guard. I bet he makes you eat enough, at least. He's a bit attached, isn't he?"

She mused, fingers molded to the perfect position now. It was probably just because they'd just talked about it, but Kasumi felt her current picking up. A trick of the mind, most likely, but it was reassuring. Maybe it was just Toru. He made her want to succeed more than anything else seemed to.

SAs:
Demon Chakra:

Demon sword style:

Demon chakra pool:

Jutsu used:

Stagnation (Toru)Jun 5, 2022 12:09:04 GMT -5
Kaguya Toru
Kaguya Toru Avatar
groupMist Shinobi
At the end of the world

Toru waited for her to match, and then he would move fingers to a more complicated sign for their two hands - ram, which she would have to replicate in a strange way. Sometimes it was tempting to create not the mirroring sign, but rather the sign that was most comfortable for *that* hand. He wanted to test her so, of course, he was doing something that would challenge her hand's physicality. If she managed it, he would move to the dog sign.

"Well is operative," He hummed in response with a never-changing tonality. His 'well' could be another person's awful. But Toru was one that coped with every bump in the road as if he had already faced something worse before. Of course, in some manner of speaking he had.

He would nod briefly, waiting for her to either finish up with the ram sign or go straight into the dog one, either way, he noticed she was trying to be distracted. He could oblige, even though he did not agree. Perhaps she just needed to get her mind off of being a supposed 'failure'. Toru didn't think she was a failure at this moment as they molded their hands and fingers together. She wasn't the same girl he had met all that time ago.

"He is my bodyguard, if he is not attached then he is not doing his job." It was a poor attempt at humor.

Stagnation (Toru)Jun 6, 2022 7:34:14 GMT -5
Kasumi Momochi
Kasumi Momochi Avatar
groupMist Shinobi

A DEMON HAS PURPOSE

Toru would switch to ram, and Kasumi would follow the movement. It would take a few moments to get it to the perfect position, but with his hand there it was much easier to identify and correct her slight mistakes. It was definitely different than doing it on her own and trying it just by the looks.

"That's not really an answer, you know." She'd chastise lightly, clearly not too concerned. If he didn't want to answer she wasn't going to pry. "The village is doing much better now, at least. People seem happier."

Average people, at least. The ninja she interacted with seemed to be either much the same or as stressed as she was about the exams. That said, she hadn't really been going out much.

"Guess you've got the worlds best bodyguard, though, so I can be assured that you're at least being taken care of. What's your next big plan, though? Know you aren't one to sit still."

They went on to the next sign, and as Kasumi found the groove she was getting better and better at matching the boys hand to make a good seal. If she hadn't spent days practicing, she knew that it would take much longer. Toru was clearly right about always improving.

Was a little weird to be doing training that didn't involve violence, though.

SAs:
Demon Chakra:

Demon sword style:

Demon chakra pool:

Jutsu used:

Stagnation (Toru)Jun 14, 2022 9:53:14 GMT -5
Kaguya Toru
Kaguya Toru Avatar
groupMist Shinobi
At the end of the world

"That is my goal," Toru's goal was the country's happiness and wealth. He had seen improvement in the village as well, he hoped to surpass the standard his mother had set. He hoped he was already on his way there. But, he had to admit that in return for the happiness of his world, he himself had become a lot more stressed. Perhaps it did not matter long term, perhaps all of that sacrifice would be worth it in the end. At least he hoped. He knew that he was bringing a great deal of honor back into the name of the Kaguya.

Once upon a time, the village would have never thought to bring a Kaguya in as the penultimate leader. But now there were two, back to back with great improvements. Toru would continue in that stride until there was no doubt that the Kaguya are different now, or at least as different as a traditional clan could be.

He would wait for her to match his 'dog' sign appropriately before responding, but it seemed that distracting her with conversation whilst they trained was a good way to get Kasumi thinking about the symbols in a much more natural way which would be of great assistance to her in the long run when she was in the field performing the seals in heated situations.

"With the wall rebuilt, I hope to have the new district repopulated soon with plenty of businesses thriving in it as well..." It would bring a lot of new money to the village as well.

"Aside from that, I suppose you aren't quite high enough clearance to know the rest."

He looked at Kasumi, a glint of amusement in his red eyes.

"Maybe start focusing on my own training more often." That was always important, how could he protect the village being rusty, right?

His hand switched to bird.

Stagnation (Toru)Jun 14, 2022 17:24:00 GMT -5
Kasumi Momochi
Kasumi Momochi Avatar
groupMist Shinobi

A DEMON HAS PURPOSE

Honestly, Kasumi hadn't even considered the implications of the wall beyond the fact that they looked nice and offered protection. Zoning the area for merchants and higher income was something that would likely help the entire village.

Yeah, Kasumi was definitely not cut out for city planning. She was better at just hitting things really hard. She matched his Dog sign as he cut himself off from revealing any privileged information to her.

"Sheesh. Is that your way of pressuring me to get the promotion?" She asked, rolling her eyes at him pointing out her rank. "You should work on your training, though. If you don't, I might just surpass you. Heh."

He switched to bird next, and Kasumi started to match him. She'd only struggle a little bit as she did. She had practiced it, but Toru's perfect training was definitely harder than her own solo training.

"Don't worry though. When I do surpass you, you can still be the Mizukage. I don't think I'd be good at it, heh. I'll just protect the village while you make it the greatest one out there."

She said with a confident wink, her earlier frustration and self pity seeming to evaporate completely.

SAs:
Demon Chakra:

Demon sword style:

Demon chakra pool:

Jutsu used:

Stagnation (Toru)Jun 17, 2022 9:34:20 GMT -5
Kaguya Toru
Kaguya Toru Avatar
groupMist Shinobi
At the end of the world

Toru was unsure of how to respond to Kasumi. It was his job to inspire, his job to hope and see the next generation become stronger than the last. Though in an ironic way he also belonged to Kasumi's generation of shinobi, they were represented now more than ever... She was striving to become stronger than him, and as his hands switched to the seal of the monkey, he wondered what to say.

"I hope so," He finally settled. Because he hoped that there would be those stronger than him in his own village. It meant that the burden was not on him alone to make it the best place in the world. It meant that the words he had been told time and time again, about his being a once-in-a-generation talent, might not be true. Not because he held any great deal of shame, but because it was something hard to carry, all those eyes beaming, certain that he will protect them.

It meant he could never fail.

And that was hard.

But it seemed his job with Kasumi was done, at least mostly as she winked at him whatever demons needed resolving in her mind were dissolving here and now. So he switched to dragon, it seemed with her confidence came the movement of the hand much easier than before.

"You seem to be getting the hang of it."

Stagnation (Toru)Jun 20, 2022 18:25:15 GMT -5
Kasumi Momochi
Kasumi Momochi Avatar
groupMist Shinobi

A DEMON HAS PURPOSE

Toru seemed to be thinking over her challenge that she would become stronger than him. She wondered a bit if it was because he thought she might actually be able to. It seemed like the idea of climbing a mountain when you'd just reached the base of the hill before it.

"You do? I always thought you took pride in being stronger than everyone, heh." She'd tease, watching their interlocked hands as he started to make the next sign for them. The moves coming more naturally now that she wasn't hyper focused on the speed of which she was falling behind. Rather than the speed at which she was growing.

"It's easier with the other hand, yeah." She said though she wasn't sure that was the entire reason she was improving. He switched to the dragon and she'd match the opposite side of the seal with only a few adjustments.

"You should expect my application for promotion soon, Mizukage-sama. Don't let it sit on your desk too long though. If I'm going to pass you in strength I'll need to start working even harder, y'know."

She'd promise, flashing a toothy grin. She wanted it now more than ever. Maybe from the hesitation Toru showed. Maybe from the change of mindset he'd offered. Either way, she wanted to help take the burden from her leader.

SAs:
Demon Chakra:

Demon sword style:

Demon chakra pool:

Jutsu used: