compose a reply
scout and recon | kaen + coyoteJul 24, 2022 4:29:31 GMT -5
takeda sadako
I'LL STOP WHEN THEY FIND A WAY TO MAKE ME
takeda sadako Avatar
groupRain Shinobi
age 16 years old birthday february 18 rank genin occupation genin

KILLING YOUR IDOLS IS A CHORE

Maybe she’d been kicking up enough of a fuss that the wheels were starting to turn, but Sadako had gotten notice that she’d been assigned a mission—and it wasn’t with her team. It wasn’t even with her team leader, but team three’s. One step closer to going it alone, she guessed; this was better than getting shoved into some ham-fisted pick-up mission with a ten-year-old.

She packed a backpack with basic survival supplies and waited impatiently by the southern gates of Amegakure. She’d been itching to get a head start, but when she tried to leave the gate guard barred the way, and no amount of bitter complaining would sway him. So instead she bounced idly on the balls of her feet, relishing the feeling of her training weights shifting against her calves, and waited for her sensei-of-the-day to arrive.

Admani, she thought his name was? If he belonged to a clan, it wasn’t one she was familiar with, and the man had never landed on her radar of people to be aware of. Before he even had a chance to make a first impression, Sadako was already unimpressed; there was a slim glimmer of hope that she was maybe being shoved under his supervision for a good reason, like maybe he was secretly a taijutsu master and he could teach her something sick, but she doubted that was the case.

At least she’d be able to get a mission marked down in her file. The chuunin exams were on the horizon; she didn’t have any time to waste.

LAIKA OF THQ
last edit by takeda sadako on Jul 25, 2022 23:10:44 GMT -5
tactician has written 151 posts
scout and recon | kaen + coyoteJul 24, 2022 5:50:29 GMT -5
Admani Kaen
Nindo Goes Here: Edit Profile > Personal > Most Recent Status
Admani Kaen Avatar
groupnull
age 21 years old birthday rank Special Jonin occupation Genin Team 3, Team Leader

It felt nice to have weight on his back. when he was at the academy, he carried less the normal. Now he was back to carrying a whole other person again it made his back feel better that was for sure. Kaen flew through the air as he maneuvered the city scape which was his village as he made his way to the gate to take on a scouting mission with some of the genin of team two. 

He landed close to the gate bending his knees to take the added weight on his person. "Genin Sadako." He called the teen waiting at the gate must be her she must of got here really early that was good anything less than fifteen minutes was good ten was pushing it on time was late. He stowed the handles to his omni gear on one of the blades on the blade holder. "Not sure if you know or not but I'll be helping out with team two for a bit. I'm Admani Kaen your instructor till team two gets one." The red head made his way to the guard at the gate and showed him the mission request form. once every thing was in order the guard yelled out to the redhead. "Keep the explosives to a not... visual display this time will ya!" The jonin mumbled under his breath as he made his way to his young student."Create a sismic event one time and they'll never let you live it down. Maybe I did use to many notes it worked." Kaen cleared his throat as he neared Sadako "Where all set any questions while we wait for the others?" The jonin offered his young charge.

last edit by Admani Kaen on Jul 25, 2022 21:06:28 GMT -5
dantlessknome has written 41 posts
scout and recon | kaen + coyoteJul 27, 2022 9:22:17 GMT -5
Takehara Yasuhiro
Age does not owe respect. It's built, not given.
Takehara Yasuhiro Avatar
groupnull
age 14 years old birthday October 5 rank Genin occupation
[nospaces]

[attr="class","stilnite"]
[attr="class","stilnite-img"]

[attr="class","stilnite-top"]
[attr="class","stilnite-icon"]

[attr="class","stilnite-right"][attr="class","th th-moon"]

[attr="class","stilnite-left"]

still of[break]the night

i hear the wolf cry, honey

[attr="class","stilnite-tag"]

[attr="class","stilnite-post"]
[attr="class","stilnite-grad"][attr="class","th th-stars"]

[attr="class","stilnite-post-2"]

Oh goodie, a scouting mission. Not to say that he wasn't enthralled by the summons along with the rest of this team, but he certainly didn't go looking for the glory in any of it. At least, not if it were to instantly be swallowed by the greedy void that was his mother. Otherwise, Coyote was satisfied with little praises given here and there, as those felt more genuine than anything; than gold or diamonds.[break][break]

He leisurely flew across the awkward rooftops and stopped to pet a few stray cats in the alleyways his feet touched in between. Once the gates were in sight, he could see a taller girl with bandages around her hands (how interesting) and someone that completely unseen before this very moment. His hand unknowingly rose to his bruised eye, still healing from the "disagreement" from the other night. Surely they wouldn't think too much about it? Since then he had switched out his bandages and the swelling had gone down; Maybe they would believe it was just a training mishap. Yeah, a mishap! Certainly these strangers wouldn't think too much about the injury. Right?[break][break]

"Afternoon! Looks like y'all really rolled out the welcome wagon, huh?" He cackled, the sound somewhat familiar and akin to an animal rarely seen in these parts of the world. The boy toyed with his tail scarf, playing a weaselly confidence to mask how nervous he was of screwing this endeavor up. "So, what's the objective? Hopefully nothing too easy; I may fall asleep!"

[attr="class","stilnite-bot"]

PHARAOH LEAP CREATES

[googlefont=Abril+Fatface:400,700]
[googlefont=Roboto:300,400,700,800]
[newclass=.stilnite]width:500px;background-color:#f3f3f3;color:#444444;text-align:justify;[/newclass]
[newclass=.stilnite-img]width:500px;height:100px;background-color:#696c85;background:linear-gradient(to bottom right,#696c85,#878aa1);overflow:hidden;[/newclass]
[newclass=.stilnite-img img]width:500px;height:100px;filter:grayscale(100%);mix-blend-mode:overlay;[/newclass]
[newclass=.stilnite-top]background-color:#030303;padding:40px;height:133px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.stilnite-right]position:absolute;font-size:150px;line-height:150px;margin:-13px 0px 0px 160px;color:#0c0c0c;[/newclass]
[newclass=.stilnite-left]position:relative;margin:10px;text-transform:lowercase;float:left;white-space:nowrap;width:250px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.stilnite-left h1]color:#696c85;margin:0px;padding-top:13px;font:bold 9px Roboto;line-height:10px;font-weight:700!important;letter-spacing:3px;text-transform:uppercase;[/newclass]
[newclass=.stilnite-left h2]position:relative;margin:0px;font:60px Abril Fatface;line-height:45px;color:#dddddd;letter-spacing:-1px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.stilnite-tag]position:absolute;width:480px;margin-top:-17px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.stilnite-tag div]margin-left:5px;float:right;font:bold 9px Roboto;line-height:10px;text-transform:uppercase;padding:12px 14px 12px 17px;background-color:#696c85;background:linear-gradient(to right,#696c85,#878aa1);border-radius:30px;color:#f3f3f3;letter-spacing:2px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.stilnite-tag div a]font:bold 9px Roboto;line-height:10px;color:#f3f3f3!important;text-decoration:none;[/newclass]
[newclass=.stilnite-icon]position:absolute;height:100px;width:100px;padding:12px;border:solid 4px #0c0c0c;border-radius:100%;margin-left:288px;z-index:10;background-color:#030303;[/newclass]
[newclass=.stilnite-icon div]height:100px;width:100px;border-radius:100%;background-color:#696c85;background:linear-gradient(to bottom right,#696c85,#878aa1);[/newclass]
[newclass=.stilnite-icon img]height:100px;width:100px;border-radius:100%;filter:grayscale(100%);mix-blend-mode:overlay;[/newclass]
[newclass=.stilnite-post]padding:50px;font:10px Verdana;line-height:15px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.stilnite-grad]height:325px;width:50px;background:linear-gradient(to bottom,#696c85,#878aa1);float:left;margin:-50px 50px -50px -50px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.stilnite-post font]font:bold 11px Roboto;background-color:#696c85;color:#f3f3f3;letter-spacing:.35px;padding:3px 5px;line-height:15px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.stilnite-post b]color:#696c85;font:bold 11px Roboto;line-height:15px;letter-spacing:.35px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.stilnite-post i]color:#aaaaaa;font:11px Roboto;font-style:italic;letter-spacing:.35px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.stilnite-post-2]height:210px;overflow:auto;padding-right:15px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.stilnite-post-2::-webkit-scrollbar-thumb:vertical]background-color:#030303;border:none;border-radius:0px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.stilnite-post-2::-webkit-scrollbar]background-color:transparent;width:2px;border:none;border-radius:0px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.stilnite-bot]background-color:#030303;height:15px;text-align:right;margin:50px -50px -50px 0px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.stilnite-grad i]font-size:100px!important;color:rgba(250,250,250,.1)!important;margin:25px 0px 45px -19px;[/newclass]
last edit by Takehara Yasuhiro on Jul 27, 2022 9:43:53 GMT -5
Tsubawings has written 9 posts
scout and recon | kaen + coyoteJul 27, 2022 11:09:41 GMT -5
takeda sadako
takeda sadako Avatar
groupRain Shinobi

"Yo,” was her short, stilted response to the special jounin’s arrival. She eyed him keenly, looking him up and down like he was a piece of meat up for grabs. He was about her size, but she was disproportionately large for a teen girl, a fact she was distinctly aware of; red hair, eyebags, distinctly crazy look about him. Mobility gear. God, she wanted that so bad, but she’d been denied the requisition. ‘Couldn’t be trusted.’ Such bullshit.

"Yeah, I gotta question,” she said. "Lemme try your gear.”

The fact that this wasn’t a question didn’t seem to matter.

Problem was, another kid quickly arrived on the scene—probably the ‘others’ that Kaen-sensei was referring to. Blonde, short, some bandages over his eye. Maybe he was a fighter? It’d be nice to have someone with an actual backbone around for once.

"Did you even read the mission scroll?” she asked the other genin, scorn dripping from her voice. "It’s recon, numbskull. Scout the ridge on the southern border, see if anyone’s sneaking through, and go back. No engagement.” The way she said no engagement was clearly derisive, as if she didn’t think very highly of the order issued. As if she wouldn’t be able to handle a tiny little scuffle.

"Whatever, let’s go,” she said, and looked over towards the gate guard. "Will you let me go now?she asked, gesturing vaguely towards her two companions. "Now that I’m supervised?

LAIKA OF THQ
scout and recon | kaen + coyoteJul 27, 2022 13:32:31 GMT -5
Admani Kaen
Admani Kaen Avatar
groupnull
age 21 years old birthday rank Special Jonin occupation Genin Team 3, Team Leader

"Yo will have to do Sadako. And no not at the moment we have a job to do. If your performance this mission impresses me, I have an extra I have to refurbish. Even then there is still a training program to go through to use it. We have had inexperienced shinobi use maneuver gear without training and it was messy. But we are getting off topic. Coyote right I'll address the eye at a later time." The red headed for now team leader of team two and team three when that became a thing, would wave the shortest member of the team to follow him before Sadako scars poor Gate Guard-san anymore then he himself did. "The gangs here Guard-san." There was a levity to his voice as he announced this to the guard. the guard handed Kaen a clip board and a black pen. The Special Jonin signed the lines. "Be safe out there honnomushi." The guard had a grin on his face as he checked the paperwork.

Once all the P's and Q's were done and over with. Kaen and Co were on there way but before they would reach the point of no return The team leader spoke up. There was slight levity to his voice. "So Sadako, Coyote what are you guys good at so I can plan accordingly while I'm your temporary sensei, I still want to see you succeed. And for all we know Me and Squeakers will be all you have till your chuunin exam. Also Coyote will your injurie hinder your mission readiness? if so you have five kilometers to say your peace after that we will be at the point of no return, and I expect you and Sadako's best." Levity switched to seriousness. "We maybe just scouting the border but at any time a mission can shift, If by some chance we are engaged I put more value on your lives then following orders to the letter, so if anything wants us dead." A shark like grin formed on his face. "I promise you this. I want it way, deader." The grin softened to what everyone in the village was use to. "Am I Clear. My wonderful students.        

last edit by Admani Kaen on Jul 29, 2022 13:27:47 GMT -5
scout and recon | kaen + coyoteJul 29, 2022 13:21:40 GMT -5
Takehara Yasuhiro
Takehara Yasuhiro Avatar
groupnull
[nospaces]

still of[break]the night

He glanced to Sadako, his expression faintly shifted from where it was in his facade. She spoke down to him as if he were some sort of imbecile; sure, it was commonplace for people to think that but those folks were simply uneducated. "Oh dear. It seems someone doesn't know how to use her sense of humor! Oh well, I'm sure we can break that in at a later date." He brushes off her snarky remark re-reading the idea of the mission but not before giving his cheeks a playful poke and smiled. "Smile more; might make you seem likeable." Coyote softly chuckled, probably guessing she would take his words as poorly as the former.[break][break]

As the Sensei-of-the-Day speaks to him about his eye, he is struck in an deer in headlights look for a moment. Sure, it wasn't pretty to lookat, but when did someone care enough to pay attention to his physical needs?? Thankfully, he get a moment to collect himself as the duo's teacher speaks with the guard and gets the ducks in a row for them to go on recon. When he turns back, he tells them that they would be seeing more of them and a "Squeakers" persona until the Chuunin Exams. Though as unenthused he was when time rolled around or those, as he was chastised if he was not the best of the best, Coyote was more curious as to who that person was. [break][break]

"Well, I can smell pretty well, so I'd be able to tell if someone is close to our position. My, er, chakra control also ain't too shabby itself." Coyote answers, bobbing back and forth on his heels, feeling a bit sheepish talking about himself. It was likely not that helpful in this type of situation, but things could definitely go haywire to the point where his special abilities may be necessary. The Sensei asked him if his injury would be a hinderance to the mission; in a way, he could understand where he was coming from but that made him all the more determined to prove himself. "No, sir! I'll be perfectly fine and will work to the best of my ability!" He barked, his expression that of determination and all the seriousness from within his body. He would not fail; he nodded in affirmation.

PHARAOH LEAP CREATES

[newclass=.stilnite]width:500px;background-color:#f3f3f3;color:#444444;text-align:justify;[/newclass]
[newclass=.stilnite-img]width:500px;height:100px;background-color:#696c85;background:linear-gradient(to bottom right,#696c85,#878aa1);overflow:hidden;[/newclass]
[newclass=.stilnite-img img]width:500px;height:100px;filter:grayscale(100%);mix-blend-mode:overlay;[/newclass]
[newclass=.stilnite-top]background-color:#030303;padding:40px;height:133px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.stilnite-right]position:absolute;font-size:150px;line-height:150px;margin:-13px 0px 0px 160px;color:#0c0c0c;[/newclass]
[newclass=.stilnite-left]position:relative;margin:10px;text-transform:lowercase;float:left;white-space:nowrap;width:250px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.stilnite-left h1]color:#696c85;margin:0px;padding-top:13px;font:bold 9px Roboto;line-height:10px;font-weight:700!important;letter-spacing:3px;text-transform:uppercase;[/newclass]
[newclass=.stilnite-left h2]position:relative;margin:0px;font:60px Abril Fatface;line-height:45px;color:#dddddd;letter-spacing:-1px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.stilnite-tag]position:absolute;width:480px;margin-top:-17px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.stilnite-tag div]margin-left:5px;float:right;font:bold 9px Roboto;line-height:10px;text-transform:uppercase;padding:12px 14px 12px 17px;background-color:#696c85;background:linear-gradient(to right,#696c85,#878aa1);border-radius:30px;color:#f3f3f3;letter-spacing:2px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.stilnite-tag div a]font:bold 9px Roboto;line-height:10px;color:#f3f3f3!important;text-decoration:none;[/newclass]
[newclass=.stilnite-icon]position:absolute;height:100px;width:100px;padding:12px;border:solid 4px #0c0c0c;border-radius:100%;margin-left:288px;z-index:10;background-color:#030303;[/newclass]
[newclass=.stilnite-icon div]height:100px;width:100px;border-radius:100%;background-color:#696c85;background:linear-gradient(to bottom right,#696c85,#878aa1);[/newclass]
[newclass=.stilnite-icon img]height:100px;width:100px;border-radius:100%;filter:grayscale(100%);mix-blend-mode:overlay;[/newclass]
[newclass=.stilnite-post]padding:50px;font:10px Verdana;line-height:15px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.stilnite-grad]height:325px;width:50px;background:linear-gradient(to bottom,#696c85,#878aa1);float:left;margin:-50px 50px -50px -50px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.stilnite-post font]font:bold 11px Roboto;background-color:#696c85;color:#f3f3f3;letter-spacing:.35px;padding:3px 5px;line-height:15px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.stilnite-post b]color:#696c85;font:bold 11px Roboto;line-height:15px;letter-spacing:.35px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.stilnite-post i]color:#aaaaaa;font:11px Roboto;font-style:italic;letter-spacing:.35px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.stilnite-post-2]height:210px;overflow:auto;padding-right:15px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.stilnite-post-2::-webkit-scrollbar-thumb:vertical]background-color:#030303;border:none;border-radius:0px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.stilnite-post-2::-webkit-scrollbar]background-color:transparent;width:2px;border:none;border-radius:0px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.stilnite-bot]background-color:#030303;height:15px;text-align:right;margin:50px -50px -50px 0px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.stilnite-grad i]font-size:100px!important;color:rgba(250,250,250,.1)!important;margin:25px 0px 45px -19px;[/newclass]
scout and recon | kaen + coyoteAug 2, 2022 6:29:22 GMT -5
takeda sadako
takeda sadako Avatar
groupRain Shinobi

Despite herself, Sadako perked up at the mention of Kaen-sensei’s spare gear. "Training program” and "it was messy” went in one ear and out the other; all she heard was do well and the gear is yours.

She’d never suffered from a lack of motivation. The promise of a present at the end of it all was just a cherry on top.

On the other hand, this new kid she was teamed up with was a real piece of work. Her eyeroll was as heavy as the earth itself, weighed down with more scorn than any fourteen-year-old should have been able to muster. She wanted to snap back, and hard, but—Kaen-sensei was all business. It was mission time.

Whatever. She didn’t need Coyote to like her. She didn’t need anyone to like her.

"Hand-to-hand combat,” Sadako said in response to Kaen, stretching her arms over her head. Coyote went completely ignored, as if he hadn’t spoken at all. "Getting better with genjutsu, but I still have work to do. Making things dead is what I’m good for.”

Bold talk coming from someone who’d yet to actually kill anyone, but Sadako felt rock-solid about her ability to follow through when—not if, when—the opportunity arose. It wouldn’t be a problem, not for her.

"Crystal clear,” Sadako said, offering up a picture perfect, if obviously sardonic, salute. "Following your lead, boss.”

LAIKA OF THQ

scout and recon | kaen + coyoteAug 6, 2022 12:40:25 GMT -5
Admani Kaen
Admani Kaen Avatar
groupnull

"A budding sensor, and a flexible shock and awe ninja. Then you have my self." Kaen could work with this the formation they would travel forming in his head as they passed the point of no return Coyote said he would be fine he would take the young mans word for it if it proved wrong he would do his best to pull his ass out of the fire. As long as he lived he would have a chance to use ant mistakes as a teachable moment that's what these types of missions became.

his voice was all business as he set the pace and formation of there travel "We will travel there at a walking pace there is no sense in running yourselves ragged. If shit hits the fan I want us to be at our best for when said shit happens. Sadako you are our rear guard and I'll be taking up point till I get a feel of what you are capable of. Coyote you will be in the center and use your nose to tell us if anything is out of place. You will be our early warning system understand?" The red head shifted the gear on his back as they walked the path to the border soon they would have to make there way off the main road. "Before we have to leave the main road any questions?" He asked the two genin any advice would be offered on the fly once they where on mission now they could ask whatever they wanted while they had the safety net of the main road around them.

Tag| used new temp 

scout and recon | kaen + coyoteAug 16, 2022 19:47:23 GMT -5
Takehara Yasuhiro
Takehara Yasuhiro Avatar
groupnull
[nospaces]

still of[break]the night

Coyote shrugged off the crude dismissal of his jest, inwardly happy that she had not snapped back at him. After all that had happened within the last few days had been as unnerving as he could handle. Going around the borders between Ame and Suna was honestly the least of his worries; he didn't have to think, just act on reaction and defend yourself. There were no emotional strings attached and in a way, it was nice to have that sort of reprieve. IT was a messed up way to think, but Coyote was certain anyone else in his position would take their release any way possible; his just so happened to be training and knocking the snot out of people if need be. [break][break]

The Takehara boy nodded in agreement to their sensei's statement of what was going to happen. It was useless to be running around aimlessly and tucker one's self out before they had run the risk of coming across a sworn enemy. It was brainless things like that that might cost a shinobi a spar or even a battle. Amegakure was known for having the most well defended borders. This was no easy feat to accomplish alone, but when working together and utilizing the strengths of whomever composed their teams, borders and cities alike were nigh impenetrable.[break][break]

"There's none from me." He shook his head, palms open as if they would be hiding any inquiries in their clutches otherwise. Coyote looked to Takeda in case she had anything on her mind. Should she say anything regarding the mission's questions, he would pay attention. However, if she hadn't anything more to say, the boy tucked his mink pendant inside of his shirt and began to focus on the smells of the two around him. The most prominent of their scent was petrichor, the smell of rain; the accents around them were distinct and though most were unable to be told apart into their own categories, wafts of places he knew of crossed his checklist of registered familiarity.

PHARAOH LEAP CREATES

scout and recon | kaen + coyoteSept 8, 2022 5:49:37 GMT -5
takeda sadako
takeda sadako Avatar
groupRain Shinobi

Coyote just shrugged her off, which bristled more than it should have. She was flat-out ignoring him, shouldn’t he react in some way? Bitch at her, demand her attention? But no, he just ignored her right back, focused on the mission at hand.

Sadako scowled. That didn’t sit well at all.

Budding sensor was kind of interesting though, she thought begrudgingly. Whooping ass was part and parcel of being a shinobi, but sensory was a way harder skill to master—that kind of chakra control was beyond her, at least at her current skill level, which was probably why she was still struggling so much to get a handle on her genjutsu.

On the other hand, this paced sucked. What Kaen-sensei said made sense, she guessed, but only if you were a weak baby and you couldn’t push yourself. Couldn’t they afford to pick it up at all? But Kaen-sensei had placed her at the end of their little three-man line, a position she begrudgingly took up with a scowl and a muttered "fine,” which meant that she couldn’t force a faster pace without drawing attention to herself. She had to walk behind Coyote, and Coyote was walking behind Kaen-sensei, and Kaen-sensei was setting the abominably sluggish pace.

Sadako sighed. Loudly.

"I have a question,” she called, cracking her neck. "What’s the point of me being rear guard if we’re not even gonna fight anyone? Also, Coyote’s sniffing me. It’s rude.

That last bit wasn’t a question, but it spilled out of her mouth as soon as Coyote turned to look at her, antagonism flowing easy from her lips like she was born to be a dick for no reason.

LAIKA OF THQ
scout and recon | kaen + coyoteOct 11, 2022 17:16:53 GMT -5
Admani Kaen
Admani Kaen Avatar
groupnull

As the red head set a speed walking pace though Coyote had not inquires Sadako did. "You take the rear just in case. My goal is to see that you too make it back alive. Also never assume a mission won't devolve into combat. Its better to plan for the worse and it never happen then to be cought flat footed and have to make a plan from scratch." The Temp Joinin sensei relayed to his student. in the same manner. "Once I have a grasp on your ability's and we train more togther then we'll change the formation till then you have rear guard which is a important role all in its self." He left it at that so she could mull over what he said. They where semi close to the border.

Once they closed in on the start of there goal he would raise a closed fist and whisper loud enough for the two to hear.
 "Hold."  he would drop his pack of many things and thumb the latches. Two sandy green ponchos would be reveled.  "Put these on you'll be harder to see. there is a blind set up ahead. Coyote any thing out of the ordinary speak up. Sadako You'll have the looking glass first." Once the two had the cameoed ponchos on he lead them forward to where they would observe the border.  

Tag| 

scout and recon | kaen + coyoteDec 13, 2022 6:36:35 GMT -5
takeda sadako
takeda sadako Avatar
groupRain Shinobi

An important role all in itself, Sadako mouthed, her nose wrinkling in obvious distaste. What he was saying made sense—she guessed—but she still felt condescended to. Obviously preparing for the worst was sensible, she didn’t need to be told that. She was just capable of more than some shitty ‘watch our backs’ third-rate position.

But, whatever. If she got slapped with disciplinary action for insubordination it’d be a pain in the ass, so it was easier to just go with it. For now.

She took the offered poncho and begrudgingly pulled it over her head, drawing up the hood to hide her dark hair. When she took the spyglass it was with a little more enthusiasm; she crouched low, trying to make herself as small and not visible as possible, and held it up to her eye.

Frowning, she scanned the ridge, and didn’t notice anything out of the ordinary. She was about to give up and hand it back to Kaen, but then—was that a little spark of light? She leaned forward, squinting as though that would help her at all, and sure enough, there was the barest spark of a fire, covered by a tarp to protect it from pounding rain. There was one figure sitting beside it, fanning it with some kind of… fan.

"There’s someone sitting by a fire down there,” she whispered to Kaen, passing the spyglass back and pointing to where she’d seen it. Excitement was building in her voice now, an obvious eagerness now that something was happening. "Do you think it’s a Sunagakure shinobi? We should go arrest them.”

LAIKA OF THQ

scout and recon | kaen + coyoteSept 30, 2023 6:17:32 GMT -5
takeda sadako
takeda sadako Avatar
groupRain Shinobi

Kaen advised restraint, which made Sadako roll her eyes, but she was obedient—for now. The older shinobi looked through the spyglass, his brow furrowing in concentration as he peered at the site below, before eventually shaking his head.

"No, they’re not affiliated with Kaze no Kuni,” he said.

"How do you know?” Sadako frowned, leaning over the edge of the ridge to try to get a good look even without the spyglass—an impossible feat, but she tried. Kaen laid a wary hand on the back of her neck, ready to grab her collar if she toppled over.

"Look at the way their camp is set up.” Kaen handed the spyglass back to Sadako, who took it and peered through it again.

"Looks normal to me.”

"Exactly,” he said, with no small amount of satisfaction. "Looks like the kind of camp you would set up, right? Like anyone from Arashi no Kuni would—prepared for rain, wetlands, goods look local, clothes look local, all of it. If they were affiliated with Kaze no Kuni there’d be some kind of tell—what they’re eating, what they’re wearing, something like that. They’re probably bandits of some kind.”

Sadako said nothing to this, instead settling into her perch more comfortably. She shook off Kaen’s hand, resenting the implication that she might need help, and she watched. For over an hour the duo sat there and watched, Sadako keeping a laser-focused eye on the camp’s comings and goings until eventually she shifted, stretched, and yawned.

"There’s only four of them,” she said, cracking her neck. "I’m super sure.”

"We should report back, then,” Kaen said, nodding. "Good work, shinobi.”

Sadako rolled her eyes again, refusing to acknowledge the praise; but if her posture was a little straighter on the journey back home, well. No one said a thing about it.

[fin.]

LAIKA OF THQ