The Truth of Genetic Structure[Cocoa]Aug 12, 2022 17:56:20 GMT -5
Ryu
Nindo Goes Here: Edit Profile > Personal > Most Recent Status
Ryu Avatar
groupnull
age birthday rank occupation

[Word Count]: 295
OOC Note(s):N/A
There were few things that Ryu tolerated less than traitors and the fact that one was still alive made it all the more frustrating to deal with. It was enough that his research had provided some merit to keeping them, but it was hardly enough to satisfy the years in which the individual had managed to evade consequence for their action. Though the time was coming for whcih final judgement would be made on the man's fate, but so far he had been contained within the Manor and under guard. Very few came to visit him, and his knowledge had been used in supplemental sense.

But Ryu had little intention of allowing him free run of the village.

Upon arriving within his quarters beneath the building, the Taki lord would observe the man with a calm expression, his eyes narrowed as his guard ensured his restraints and then allowed the two a moment of limited privacy.

"Your confinement has shown little sign of intent, which makes me question just how far your own research into the Jingou could have progressed without certain sample sizes or materials to base it off of? Or were you just relying on the hope of theft of it's secret from your clan to be your key..."

🐉 [IC COMBAT INFORMATION] 🐉

[Skills/Traits In-Usage]:
    [Items Worn[Passively]]:
      [Sennin Mōdō[Rotation]]:1
        [Techniques Executed]:

has written 220 posts
          The Truth of Genetic Structure[Cocoa]Aug 13, 2022 19:48:33 GMT -5
          Mikatakujira Ruto
          The only cost not worth it is my own life.
          Mikatakujira Ruto Avatar
          groupMissing-Nin
          age birthday 1/26 rank occupation
          The day had finally come to meet with the lord of Takigakure. It did not come before any major tribunal, which was not a surprise, but did raise Ruto's anxiety. Ryu would not want to advertise the fact that a nukenin had managed to evade capture for as long as they had, would not want to put them before a court when sentencing an execution in a private room would be just as effective and less frowned upon by most.

The guards restrained Ruto, making sure they wouldn't attempt anything nefarious. Ruto had no intention of doing so in the first place - they were a creature of fear and were very unlikely to do anything that would worsen the consequences they were already facing down, make their life even more forfeit - but they understood the precaution nonetheless.

Ryu began to speak, criticizing Ruto's behavior during their internment, calling into question their motivation. They swallowed, prepared to speak. They could feel the way their heart rattled against their chest like an anxious dog in a crate.

"I... lacked many of the tools necessary to perform extensive research in the inn," they began, wanting to be truthful. The dragon sage was not one who tolerated untruths well. "I did not wish to push the bounds of my confinement past what was reasonable and risk the generosity I had been shown." Going out and collecting samples or possibly infecting members of the community really wouldn't have been taken well. Ruto was a pathologist, so infectious disease was the name of their game, and initiating another plague... would have been an awful idea.

"I spent the majority of my time cultivating bacterial samples I collected from around the world during my travels. I've- I've managed to find some very unique ones." Maybe that statement will fascinate Ryu enough to encourage him not to immediately execute them.

"In my time since my... flight, my fixation on the Jiongu has passed and I have focused more on what I am already skilled in. Bacteria."

has written 141 posts
          The Truth of Genetic Structure[Cocoa]Aug 17, 2022 21:10:43 GMT -5
          Ryu
          Ryu Avatar
          groupnull

It should have been at that moment that Ryu roasted the individual before him alive and simply rid the supposed council of any unrequired time. Not that he would even allow it to gain such an audience. Despite his attempts at becoming less ruthless, he would not suffer fools and allow for time to be wasted on handling the useless.

But in hearing of this new interest of Ruto, the man would narrow his eyes as he looked directly into his, his own presence remaining on the opposite side of the cell that he could see his gaze as he peered into him.

"You spend your time collecting bacteria and present that as your new found hobby....You best hope that your shift in interests becomes my own..."

In saying this, Ryu would then pause before then speaking.

"What results have come of this? And in what form? I imagine if you intended to use it in a way that would benefit me, it would come as a weapon....not a supplementary experiment of my patience..."

It was not unfamiliar to the man of the usage of bacteria within the world. But in truth, it had been one of the defining facts of nature. It was present in everything and everyone one. Aside from the Plague that had nearly wiped out Kumogakure, it had not been used as a form of weaponry for some time.

[Items Worn[Passively]]:
                [Techniques Executed]:

has written 220 posts
                  The Truth of Genetic Structure[Cocoa]Aug 18, 2022 1:10:21 GMT -5
                  Mikatakujira Ruto
                  Mikatakujira Ruto Avatar
                  groupMissing-Nin
                  Ryu's patience was wearing very thin, and he was not a man with much patience to spare in the first place, Ruto knew that much. He hadn't much time to make a convincing argument for his continued survival, and if he were a completely honest man he would admit a convincing one didn't exist in the first place.

Still, they were sure they could make themself useful if given the opportunity. They had done so in the past and despite all their flaws, they were a very productive worker. Their problems with Takigakure were personal ones that could, perhaps, be stomached again for the purpose of their work. The thought made him very bitter, but he would have to swallow it.

"It could be used as a weapon," he answered, swiftly. "I've been primarily experimenting with... breeding bacteria to formulate especially deadly pathogens, but also with feeding them chakra in order to encourage their propagation," he explained.

Bacteria were living things and, like many living things, could be influenced with chakra. They were very small and this was incredibly new research, so this influence was deeply rudimentary and Ruto was not yet sure if he would be able to make anything of it, but there was a chance.

"I've learned how to... utilize pathogens almost like some shinobi use poison," they continued. "So I can use breathing techniques to infect individuals. Thus, if I could learn a way to cause bacteria to grow more quickly - I could cause infections at an unprecedented rate. Not to mention I have a strengthened immune system, so I can easily host pathogens I'm attempting to mutate myself."

This was something he'd been doing when he had no lab to back himself up, even if doing so agitated him. It reminded him quite a bit of his youth as a lab rat.
                  has written 141 posts
                  The Truth of Genetic Structure[Cocoa]Aug 24, 2022 23:04:58 GMT -5
                  Ryu
                  Ryu Avatar
                  groupnull

"So this is still within the experimental phase in which you have yet to infect an individual or creature with these enhanced pathogens..."

Ryu was indeed interested in the benefit of this technique. The idea of an infection was threatening enough, but the concept behind what Ruto was doing proved to have some merits. It could be an instantly devastating weapon that could be unleashed without the person even realizing it. Naturally, his own body was made of stronger stuff, and the proof of just how widespread this virus could become left much to the imagination. In the end, he was still grateful to have given the individual a wide birth.

"In having placed yourself within this condition, have you noted any development in your attempts at mutating yourself? Or has it simply allowed you to develop an immunity to it?"

It could be possible to unleash Ruto out into a country and allow him to infect the enemy slowly. Of course, it would only prove successful if it actually was strong enough and implemented to a degree where it would not be caught until it was too late.

Village leaders, Damiyos, those in positions of power would fall and there would be no way of knowing why...

"I dare to ask....why would you wish to go so far for this?"

[Items Worn[Passively]]:
                        [Techniques Executed]:

has written 220 posts
                          The Truth of Genetic Structure[Cocoa]Aug 25, 2022 1:04:40 GMT -5
                          Mikatakujira Ruto
                          Mikatakujira Ruto Avatar
                          groupMissing-Nin
                          The Lord wanted to know if he had had any success with his mutation attempts as of yet. It was a difficult question. As Ryu had said, this was still very much in the experimental phase. Though he'd had his cart and his minor research, he hadn't had a very sterile environment nor a consistent supply of samples to do anything truly dedicated research projects, yet. There were only the things he could circumstantially note through his small trials. How to spin that into something that sounded enticing, though?

"I've certainly developed a better immunity to it, but I've always had a faster recovery period from illness than most," they began, contemplative. "In my trials, I've seen that the pathogens I've been working on do have a shorter incubation period, and thus a faster lethality, than their natural counterparts. It seems like when fed chakra, these pathogens require less time to make a target significantly ill, at least in the rodent tests I've done. I avoided human studies on the road - I didn't want an infection starting and carrying back here."

That much was somewhat true. He had always had a complicated relationship with his compassion towards other people. The Plague was something he had initiated and he only felt guilty about it occasionally, rarely. To do the same to Takigakure would feel wrong. Even if he had betrayed his village, it was still the closest thing he had ever had to a home.

Then Ryu asked why he was willing to go so far. For this concept, for this research. What had driven him to it. Maybe it was time to be earnest, honest about his past. He doubted he could draw sympathy from it, but being open might still earn him some points.

"I've been interested in disease since I was very young. You are aware, I'm sure, about the fact I was once a prisoner of war in Tsuchi no Kuni." That much had been public record, since he had to be returned.

But he had never, in all his life, told the whole truth about what had happened there. When he told the story as a child, he told the one the scientists had told him to. We were kept in a prison and they treated us well. Mother got sick and died despite them trying to help her.

"They experimented on us. On the children born there. They had me participate in medical trials, infected me with diseases to analyze my recovery timeline. I spent a lot of my childhood sick because of it. It made me curious about viruses and bacteria. They're such simple organisms, but they're also... functionally immortal." Perhaps it's easy to follow the logic from there. Growing up surrounded by death made him very afraid of it. If he could replicate those organisms somehow...
                          has written 141 posts
                          The Truth of Genetic Structure[Cocoa]Sept 8, 2022 9:52:44 GMT -5
                          Ryu
                          Ryu Avatar
                          groupnull

"So this is still within the experimental phase in which you have yet to infect an individual or creature with these enhanced pathogens..."

It appeared that the individual was on to something, and their method and reasoning behind it seemed at the very least, justified to them. It wasn't his place to tell someone just what should be their drive, so long as their means did nothing to tread upon his own efforts. So far, he could see the future of this tool, and while it may have seemed still in it's infancy, there was enough here to begin looking forward to a way to initiate it into his plans.

"If I were to allow you to test on an individual outside of yourself...what would be the estimated timeframe of the incubation of this pathogen...and if released, what would be the infection rate?"

Perhaps it was curiousity, or simply caution. It seemed as if Ruito had gained the King's ear. At least for the time being.

[Items Worn[Passively]]:
                                [Techniques Executed]:

has written 220 posts
                                  The Truth of Genetic Structure[Cocoa]Sept 9, 2022 22:53:13 GMT -5
                                  Mikatakujira Ruto
                                  Mikatakujira Ruto Avatar
                                  groupMissing-Nin
                                  The Lord of Takigakure was interested. That was a great feat as far as Ruto was concerned - if Ryu was interested in his research, that bought him at least a little more time alive. A little more time to work. If he proved that he still had value to the village and nation, he didn't need to be put down. Always working towards proving usefulness to someone. It was a bitter victory, one that felt like ash in his mouth, but it was better than nothing.

"If I had to estimate, I would say an incubation period of... 1-2 days?" Ruto offered. Most of the pathogens he worked with on a regular basis had incubation periods of 4-10, so it he took those and amplified the rate of reproduction in order to shorten the time frame it took them to overwhelm an individual's immune system, then it should be reasonable to get the timeline that short.

"Infection rate is something a little more difficult to measure in hard terms... I would have to work more specifically on selecting for certain traits - if you would like to see it be an airborne pathogen or travel through contaminated water or contaminated food, what symptoms we would like individuals to exhibit... It certainly wouldn't be hard to make it as infectious as the common cold, though, if not more so."
                                  has written 141 posts
                                  The Truth of Genetic Structure[Cocoa]Sept 14, 2022 17:47:04 GMT -5
                                  Ryu
                                  Ryu Avatar
                                  groupnull

A silence remained as Ryu listened to the words of the would be scientist. It was certainly better that they had the chance to speak and that the lord was listening. It allowed for time, something the individual was limited upon which each passing moment. But the evidence to their value had been presented with enough insight to give reason and a stay of execution. With a hand cupped beneath his face, Ryu would then close his eyes before then allowing them to open as he began to speak.

"Then it would seem you have a goal to accomplish....I expect to hear of your success within that time frame...."

In turning toward the exit, he'd then stop short as he continued to speak.

"You will be provided with the tools in which you need to accomplish this, and a subject that will be used to test your bacteria upon....this does not allow you free...Understand that that their death...means your continued existence...should he still live after your determined expectation of infection...you will find no further salvation...no clan to stay your end...your intelligence and usefulness is all that keeps you breathing Ruto...are we clear?"

In saying this, the lord would continue out, speaking further as he made his leave.

"Your clock is ticking...make your list of materials for determination and prepare to begin trials..."

[Items Worn[Passively]]:
                                        [Techniques Executed]:

has written 220 posts
                                          The Truth of Genetic Structure[Cocoa]Sept 15, 2022 21:16:14 GMT -5
                                          Mikatakujira Ruto
                                          Mikatakujira Ruto Avatar
                                          groupMissing-Nin
                                          It appeared that he had managed to talk the lord into allowing him to live for now. It was on condition, on the condition that he could prove his usefulness, that his experimentation could bear fruit. He was certain he could make it so. This was his area of expertise, an area he had researched beginning in his early childhood. All he had to do was focus and produce results. All he had to do was think of nothing else. The time for his experimental trials would begin anew and again he would become something of a reaper. Without ties to his clan, maybe this time he could stomach it.

Ruto bowed his head in supplication to the lord even though he was no longer looking, already on his way out as he spoke.

"Yes, my lord. I will not disappoint you." He did not have a choice in the matter - Ruto needed to bear fruit or die. Already he was drafting a list in his mind, one he would provide to the lord's entourage soon enough to ensure he had his materials.

Standard laboratory supplies. Microscopes, slides, needles, vials. Wet environments and sugar to further speed the cultivation of his samples. Surely more would come to mind in the coming days, but this was all he needed for now. He was not free, but he could live a mostly normal life if he could make this work.
                                          has written 141 posts