compose a reply
Dreams Conquer Nightmares [Sho]Mar 2, 2023 18:47:14 GMT -5
Uzumaki Atagi
Keep on keeping on.
Uzumaki Atagi Avatar
groupGrass Shinobi
age 21 years old birthday April 29th rank Genin occupation
Life all comes down to a handful of moments

It was a strange feeling, not being restless. Usually, the excess of both chakra and stamina that the Uzumaki from the grass held within presented an ever-present desire to do something. But it was a testament to the sheer damage he had sustained that his body was entirely oriented toward recuperation, for the the time being. Some wounds, of course, there would be no recovery from, as the bandaged nubs at either shoulder were a constant reminder of. Resting is fine, but sleeping isn't always as easy as he would like-- he's typically not the anxious or worrisome sort, but this was a special case. For someone that always aimed to have the strength and ability to conquer any problem, for the genin to whom the phrase 'no man is a mountain' was a challenge...being helpless to do even basic things makes him acutely, intensely aware of his own weakness. Being vulnerable, even just to himself, is a difficulty that Atagi Uzumaki was woefully unprepared for.

On one of the two bedside tables there's a smattering of objects- what looks like a brand-new young women's adult novel, a small container with naught left inside but a few grains of rice that'd stuck to the edges, and bag with one or two clementines left within. Turned onto one side, marigold eyes peer outside the closed window, watching a few clouds roll by. Friends, associates, and enemies alike had all come to visit (or at least been in the vicinity), and with nothing else left to do, Atagi can't help but let his mind wander to some of the others he knew or who he had come to know, for their relatively brief stint in Kuwana.

Kohime-chan'd be one, for sure. I wonder if she'd even care enough to swing by, though? No, that's kind of silly to begin with-- people who're still participating in the upcoming rounds should be entirely focused on preparing themselves, not fretting over a crippled fallen compatriot. The little lightning Uchiha, maybe? Mn, but we're barely associates, even with our mutual connection to Azarea. That being said, who -isn't- friends with her? I'm not even all that special, in that regard. Muscle-girl, maybe...but honestly, her idea of 'showing care' might be slugging me, based on appearance alone. Not that she's not pleasant enough in her own way. Koume-ko...

Wait, why am I only imagining girls coming to visit? The hell'm I supposed to be, a harem protagonist?

Oh, there's the good slash wood doctor! Shosuke. I haven't seen him since he stormed off after that...unfortunate ending, with Miroru.

There's a little shifting of eyes away from the window, thinking about it.

We are basically thick as thieves, at this point. I dunno if I'm looking forward to the 'I told you so', though....

As if on cue, there's a sound at the door, grabbing all of Atagi's attentions posthaste.

()
aeron at thq
last edit by Uzumaki Atagi on Mar 3, 2023 6:19:13 GMT -5
Knocker has written 328 posts
Dreams Conquer Nightmares [Sho]Mar 3, 2023 10:34:52 GMT -5
Yamamoto Shosuke
"Its just one thing after another..."
Yamamoto Shosuke Avatar
groupCloud Shinobi
age 17 years old birthday 17/05 rank Chuunin occupation Ops Team 1
"You'll be a great man one day, if you can survive long enough to get there. I want to be the kind of man you become."

Those had basically been the words that Sho had said to Atagi just before the official start of the exams. Atagi was a good man, had the potential to be a great one, but he was an idiot who never knew when to quit. Their first meeting had been Sho helping him recover from working himself into clear exhaustion, and that had been just before the exams themselves.

Perhaps, Sho had thought errantly, if he hadn't gone out of his way to keep Atagi going and help him regenerate his strength and heal his injuries he would have flunked out of the exams in the first round and been sent home. He would have been embarrassed but he would have been safe...

Still, as bizarre as it was, Sho got the feeling that Atagi would have been more hurt by the concept of having to go home in shame without ever trying his best than having both of his arms literally ripped off and thrown at him. That was the kind of borderline psychopath Atagi was, he was the kind of person who would do his best even if it killed him in the attempt.

Or at least, so had been Sho's perspective on the man before all this went down. Having left the Tournament Grounds early, he hadn't actually seen Atagi since the incident.

---

Atagi could hear the sounds of footsteps approaching before the doors swung open. On the other side of it stood Shosuke, surprisingly dressed down for once. Instead of the labcoat that he wore so much that it was almost part of his own skin, he wore a simple t-shirt, a pair of loose fitting trousers and some leather shoes. It was far from stylish, but it was simple and casual.

If he was being honest, the main reason he wasn't wearing his coat was because he didn't want the doctors in the hospital to mistake him for one of their number and call him away from the bedside.

Still, perhaps to Atagi's surprise, instead of the immediate words coming out of his mouth being some variation of "I told you so", Sho simply smiled at the man in the bed. No words were exchanged between the two Genin for a moment as Sho went to go pull over a chair, moving to sit down in it comfortably.

"So..." Sho said, his hands resting comfortably on his knees, almost surprisingly casual for this instance. "... How do you think your fight went?"

There was a small, coy smile out of the corner of his mouth, as if he had just made a joke. Though Atagi might misinterpret it, the joke was more at the situation in general rather than at Atagi himself.

Laughter was said to be the best remedy after all.

492 words |

Jutsus Used: None
Gesicht has written 434 posts
Dreams Conquer Nightmares [Sho]Mar 5, 2023 8:10:12 GMT -5
Uzumaki Atagi
Keep on keeping on.
Uzumaki Atagi Avatar
groupGrass Shinobi

When Atagi realizes that it's exactly whom he was just thinking who's come to visit, there's a tiny wonder about if, perhaps, he had the ability to manifest that which he thought about. On the other hand, he soon remembers that he was also thinking about numerous other folk visiting, so perhaps that was just simple math, at work. There's an easygoing smile at his lips, but they share a quiet moment, as Sho's moving over to scoot over one of the chairs, to sit down at the Uzumaki's side. There's a tiny quirk of the eyebrow at seeing him without his coat for what must've been the first time-- there's an internal musing about how maybe he's on vacation for a while, with the exams over. But of course, a shinobi's work is never done...except, perhaps, for one who couldn't do the work, like himself in the present state. Shaking off those negative thoughts, the maroon-topped shinobi is about to break the ice with a call-out or a greeting to his counterpart, but Sho speaks first.

There's a hearty rumble of laughter from Atagi, the sort that emanates from the core and jostles the torso, ever so slightly-- though the action makes him wince, from the still-mending wound in his gut, it doesn't dampen his smile, that's grown in intensity thanks to the doctor's comical query. ”Weeeelll, you know! I think I really had Hotarubin on the ropes, yeah? If I could only have hung on for a few more minutes, it would've been a done deal victory for Atagi Uzumaki, mhm, mhm.” Nodding in a sage-like fashion as though he said something incredibly important, despite it obviously not being true. Unlike some of his...optimistic statements of grandeur, it's obvious from his intonation that he's joking, in response.

There's a little movement of the heavily bandaged nubs at his shoulders. Embarrassment touches his cheeks-- it appeared he had, yet again, tried to do something without his arms without thinking. Instead, there's a bagworm like wriggle into a position where he's sitting up, beaming at the cloud-nin.

”I'm more worried about you, to be honest, Sho! I would've liked to see you go at it a little more, but...I understand the circumstances were unfortunate, to put it lightly. I hope you don't hold it against the little lightning too much, since I like her well enough-- but I was rooting for you, for what that's worth! You're not too down about how it all played out, are you?” Indeed, Sho's very presence was a comfortable one, Atagi immediately launching into his usual motor-mouthed mode. He really does, truly, seem like he's asking is because he really was concerned about his new friend after what'd transpired during the doctor's bout against the Uchiha, but another part of him is putting on what, perhaps, is an overly brave face, since he's got qualms with making Shosuke worry more than he already is.

()
aeron at thq
Dreams Conquer Nightmares [Sho]Mar 6, 2023 15:40:32 GMT -5
Yamamoto Shosuke
Yamamoto Shosuke Avatar
groupCloud Shinobi
It was good to hear Atagi laughing, even in his current condition. Even outside of things like placebos, mood and perspective often had a genuine impact on one's ability to recover from major injuries like this.

The human spirit was an incredible thing, truly. He wasn't a believer in destiny or manifestation or any of that horseshit, but even so it couldn't be avoided that believing that one would get better was often the first sign that they actually would.

"I dunno, I think in the five or so seconds of the match before you got your ass handed to you you had a solid chance." he joked, a comforting hand moving onto the chest of the Kusa-nin. He would have moved to hold and squeeze his hand or his shoulder, but both weren't exactly available at this point.

"I think both of us got screwed over in those matchups of ours. You got someone who absolutely dominated you in close quarters when close quarters is pretty much all you have, and I? Well... You saw what happened."

He rubbed the back of his head awkwardly, looking away for a moment as if he didn't wanna talk about it all that much. Indeed, the entire caste of the trials had seen him refused to strike Miroru and instead choose to walk away upon finding out exactly who she actually was. He had to imagine they all thought he was some form of coward or fool.

The truth was, he just couldn't bring himself to do it. Not after everything Azarea had done for him.

But, he supposed he owed it to Atagi to at least explain the situation. After all, not only were they friends but they were in much the same predicament.

There was a question about both of their futures, here in this room. Hotarubi might have stolen Atagi's future from him, but Sho's refusal to follow orders blindly might have destroyed his own.

"The kid? She's fine." he signed for a moment, before adding. "She REALLY pissed me off, trying to sell me on a pipe dream that clearly was never going to happen. If I'd known that she was full of shit and had no plan to make it a mutually beneficial arrangement? I would have..." he clenched his fist for a moment in frustration, his face one of annoyance for just a brief second, before shaking his head.

"I probably would have come to the same conclusion. It was bad enough that they wanted me to beat up a literal child, but Azarea's little sister? There's no world where I would be okay with that." he paused, his eyes matching Atagi's for a second.

"Do you think that's what the villages want, Atagi? Do they want us all to be like Hotarubi? Some sick sadistic sociopath who doesn't even question the orders they're given, executing them with all the brutality and spite they can muster?

Was I wrong to think that striking friends, especially friends who haven't done anything wrong, is wrong?"

The question hung in the air like a foul odour.

"I became a Shinobi because I wanted to protect people. Because I wanted to stop people needing to see doctors like me, to get there before anyone got hurt. How does beating children help with that?"

553 words |

Dreams Conquer Nightmares [Sho]Mar 7, 2023 8:06:44 GMT -5
Uzumaki Atagi
Keep on keeping on.
Uzumaki Atagi Avatar
groupGrass Shinobi

Atagi listens with rapt attention as Sho pours out his worries and emotions all out onto the table, upturning the sack called anxiety and letting it all tumble out. It's a good feeling, to be 'relied upon' even just when it came to listening, for someone who had just lost a lot of their own agency-- some would've said lost a lot of what it meant to be human. But his spirit seemed indomitable as ever, for better or worse. The physical comforting of the kumo-nin was nice enough, too, even if it was a bit strange to try and interface with someone who was...as he was.

The ever-present smile on the Uzumaki's face shifts to a more serene fixture, at finally being given the lowdown on why the match played out the way it did, Sho's mentality, philosophy, and sense of ethic shining through. There was a lot to appreciate, there, even if his friend was frustrated, momentarily or otherwise. What did he think? Gaze drifts up and to the left, an obvious indication of deep thought, and Atagi remains quiet for a few moments. Tongue pokes out to wet at his lips some, and he clears at his throat.

”I don't think pounding on a child'd help out much with that at all, to be frank. That being said, there are some terrifying youngsters out there, among shinobi in particular, huh? We got our work cut out for us.” he remarks in a good natured fashion, thinking of the participant who had knocked out Kojirou with a single attack-- even Miroru herself was obviously talented and capable in equal measure, from what he had gathered.

”In some respects, I suspect part of the point is that awfully lopsided matches happen, huh? They give us a problem that's difficult, maybe impossible to solve, and see how we react-- though not necessarily deliberately, in the case of the matchups. That's probably a big part of the exams as a whole.” The response might've seemed oddly thoughtful, for him, but the truth of the matter was that there was little else for him to while away the time with.

There's a little shift in Atagi's body, subconsciously trying to touch at his chin, but obviously being unable to. ”If it were up to my judgement? I'd give you full marks for choosing not to hurt a friend. And even moreso, for holding onto your convictions and sticking to your moral code, even at risk to your own future! That sort of selflessness seems like it'd make someone an even more invaluable asset to a country. And I know Azarea appreciates that it ended without either of you, near and dear to her heart, ending up worse for wear.

You seem oddly insecure, for someone with your smarts and potential, you know? I've known you're a good person from the moment I laid eyes on you, and I insist that you ought to give yourself more credit!”
There was an obvious bit of personal bias there, considering the man's propensity towards self-confidence to the point of recklessness, but that beaming expression tossed at Shosuke says it's two hundred percent sincere, whether or not his own inclinations have anything to do with it.

”But I'm sure some villages do want a living, breathing tool more than they do a person. It's hard for me to hold it against Hotarubi, despite everything-- I don't know him, personally. Our villages are enemies, so for all I know, he was simply told to 'crush all that lay before him', his background that of someone who's never known anything but a cold, merciless outlook on life. And it'll be a valuable lesson for me, moving forward...if I can move forward at all...” Finally, a little dampening of the brilliance and optimism that was the grass shinobi's forte --the very same one who was suggesting that maybe someone who had tried to brutalize and murder him might not be all bad, at his core-- at the uncomfortable prospect of it not being possible to get his life back.

Turning to the side to let loose a cough, as if to dispel that awkward air, Atagi turns back, giving a single, resolute nod.

”The long and short of it is...you made the right decision, yeah? I think you know that, even without asking me, but I'll reaffirm it. And whatever problems do arise from it, you will overcome, between your own strength and your growing network of support.”

A toothy grin's tossed his way, brimming with exuberance.

”Myself included, naturally.”

()
aeron at thq
Dreams Conquer Nightmares [Sho]Mar 7, 2023 17:49:16 GMT -5
Yamamoto Shosuke
Yamamoto Shosuke Avatar
groupCloud Shinobi
Atagi had a point, he supposed. After all, Shosuke had graduated from the Academy a year younger than Miroru was, and if he had gone into the field there was no chance that he would have been shown the same tact and decorum that she had been given. After all, the mission that they'd been shunted onto together had proven that he was alone in his feelings that beating up a child was wrong.

Not that any of those that had tried had managed anything more than failing quite spectacularly.

The fact that they tried, though, was the point.

"I hope you're right. It's pretty much the same thing she said, in the end." Shosuke admitted, his tone quiet and sincere as they spoke.

It was strange for him to feel so reliant on the fool of an Uzumaki so quickly. They had only met about a week beforehand, and yet there was a connection there that was undeniable. Sometimes you made a best friend just by being in the right place at the right time it seemed.

"I don't know though - The Village System doesn't exactly look kindly on people who disobey direct orders. Even when the orders are as ridiculous as to beat up a child, disobedience is one of the quickest ways to being removed from your position. I stand by my decision, but the Kage might think otherwise.

After all, if I put my morals above my mission here and now? How can she guarantee that I won't do that again if she needs me for something morally dubious?

It's not like every mission the village is going to give us in the future is going to be sparklingly clean."

The truth was, though he hesitated to admit it, he actually hadn't thought twice about beating Miroru up until he had found out that she was part of Azarea's family.

He didn't want to admit it but it was only after stopping and thinking about the situation that he'd realised how messed up it actually was. If she had been a complete stranger, would he have even hesitated before completing his mission?

Even those bandits in the caves back in the Land of Lightning - Would they have surrendered given the chance? He had never even considered it, never paused to offer it to them, he had simply torn them apart without consideration. They were morally indefensible, but did that necessarily make him any better for not even considering them before unleashing hell?

The longer one sat and thought about the nature of one's duty to the Village, the more murky it all seemed.

"..." There was a momentary pause when Atagi mentioned that he thought he was a good person. It was the same thing that he had said on the training ground, that he was special, that he was important, that his hands were gifted with the ability to bring life. It seemed Atagi genuinely believed it, even after Sho had yelled at him about it.

"Atagi... I'm not as good a person as you say I am." He admitted, his tone low and quiet.

"Back when I graduated the Academy, I was given the chance to serve my village or to have a safer, more comfortable life as a Doctor.

At the time, I just wanted to help people and make my clan proud so I walked away from serving the village and instead chose to train in the medical profession. I didn't realise until later that this was a betrayal of my classmates.

People I went to the Academy with? They're dead. Not all of them, but at least a few of them. I don't hold myself responsible for their deaths, but I do feel..."
he paused for a second, considering how to phrase this.

"I feel I didn't do enough to stop it. Being a doctor is reactionary, delayed, slow. Sure, I can save people with my hands, but only after they've already been hurt. Only after there's a problem to solve. There's no such thing as proactive healing.

But someone like you? Like Miroru? You guys can save people's lives and prevent them from ever needing someone like me in the first place. I sew together wounds you can stop from happening.

So when you treat me with kids gloves? When you think of me as a good person just because I help others? I can't help but feel like its a betrayal of those who do more than me. Who never got the chance to walk away.

Hotarubi may be a bastard. He may be a thug. But he's got something I can never have - the ability to do whatever it takes to protect his village."

785 words |

Dreams Conquer Nightmares [Sho]Mar 9, 2023 0:11:21 GMT -5
Uzumaki Atagi
Keep on keeping on.
Uzumaki Atagi Avatar
groupGrass Shinobi

There's a lot to think about, there. When Shosuke remarks that he hopes the Uzumaki is right, Atagi's first reaction is to pipe up with a self-confident 'of course I am!' or something along those lines, but that seemed like it wouldn't fit the mood quite how he would've wanted. And further still, there's a gentle, but firm reminded given to him-- even if someone like Atagi had aspirations about being a 'hero' and 'protecting people' or whatever it might've been, that ultimately shinobi were like soldiers, beholden to the whim and will of their country. At least, in theory.

More than likely, he wouldn't have thought more than twice, and certainly no more than four times, about disobeying an order from someone he didn't trust, or for reasons that seemed suspect. Granted, he was also the type to trust easily, certainly moreso when it came to the good folk of Kusagakure, shinobi or otherwise.

Instead of piping up, interjecting, or talking over the Yamamoto, though, he simply remains mostly quiet, aside from the occasional affirmative 'gesture' (that only involved his head) or little noises like 'mhm's or 'nn's, to indicate that he was listening. There's a slight inclination of the head, an occasional drifting away of his eyes which otherwise are always connected with Shosuke's, evidence of heavy consideration.

”Mn, ah. I guess that explains why you were so ticked off about my compliment, then, yeah? I've been told that maybe I'm too honest for my own good-- deception was never something I got strong marks in.” Sticking his tongue out in a partly mischievous gesture at Sho, wriggling to sit properly instead of slouching, perhaps to project his voice better.

”I appreciate the adoration, but. I think you're your own greatest limiting factor, yeah? Think about the following-- have you ever experienced how frighteningly easy it can be for you to do something that someone else insists is 'impossible', or see someone doing something beyond your comprehension? At the same time, I thoroughly doubt you've ever said to yourself 'I can't do this' and then managed to do it anyway.” Admittedly, it was extremely presumptuous, but Atagi often flew right over such conversational speed-bumps based on the premise that even if he was wrong, there was something to learn there.

”What people do is more important than how they were born, and in that same respect-- whatever your history is, it's how you move forward that's most important. People might do more than you currently, might have done more than you. But when asked if I'd rather change the world , or change myself, if I could only pick one? I pick the latter every time.”

Atagi motions to try and puff his chest out proudly, but it's a bit awkward since he doesn't have the upper body limbs to leverage for such movement. ”Just become strong enough, smart enough, skilled enough, great enough that you can do it all, then! Save those who are hurt, and prevent those who aren't from injury-- you're in a unique position where you can cover every base, if you work at it. I'm almost jealous, really.” There's a playful look given, one that wipes away that overly triumphant visage he was sporting only moments before, one he had intentionally tossed on for the sake of trying to inspire.

”If you insist that me thinking you're a good guy is wrong-- then I'm fine with having the incorrect answer, if just for now. Like an investment into the future, yeah?”

()
aeron at thq
Dreams Conquer Nightmares [Sho]Mar 9, 2023 19:24:30 GMT -5
Yamamoto Shosuke
Yamamoto Shosuke Avatar
groupCloud Shinobi
Though Sho was never the type to blow up at someone (excluding, of course, the time that Shigure had pushed him into it), he still felt bad about how he had treated Atagi at that time. His words hadn't been meant in ill will and if anything it showed just how much faith Atagi had in him. But even so, the fact remained that it was something that he was overtly sensitive about.

Now, at least, Atagi knew why.

"Yeah, that's not the first time I've been told that. Everyone says they're their own worst critic, but I don't know if that's true. I mean, you don't seem to have a self-critical bone in your body. Maybe I make up for both of us." Sho tried to force a smile at that idea, but it was hard to smile with the current mood in the room.

There was a part of him that wished that he hadn't brought down the mood. The boy was suffering enough with his current condition and the last thing that he needed right now was someone to manifest this atmosphere of discomfort and sombreness.

Even so, there was something about Atagi that made Sho want to admit his deepest feelings and weaknesses. Perhaps it was that which would make him a great man one day.

If someone like this could end up leading a village, perhaps the very world itself might begin to go in a far better direction. Atagi had a way, it seemed, to bring about even a complete stranger's trust. He was just... genuine. Perhaps that was the best way to phrase it in light of the current situation.

As Atagi talked about the fact that what one did was more important than how one was born, Sho couldn't help but feel a little uncomfortable. His entire chance at becoming Clan Head, at giving back to the people that had supported him for so long, was ultimately predicated upon how he was born. His unusual element was pretty much all he had to offer, or at least so he thought.

Perhaps the clan would think like Atagi did, but Sho doubted it. Though, perhaps that was okay in its own right. As long as it went to someone who deserved it like Eri, he would willingly stand aside. 

"You're too kind to me," Sho finally said, patting the man's chest gently.

"I don't know what I've done to deserve it, but I'm glad we met. Even if I don't see you again after the exams, I wanted to know that I've appreciated our time together. From putting up with my lecturing to helping me talk about this kind of thing, you're a really swell guy.

That's why... I actually wanted to give you a gift."

It was at this point that a second knock came at the door, with Sho this time rising to get it. On the other side of the door, an older man wearing the headband of the village was carrying what appeared to be an enormous lacquered trunk under his arm. Passing it over to Sho, Sho brought it into the room proper and rested it on his knees.

"Before I give this to you Atagi, I need to know your intentions - Even after being injured in this way, after losing your arms, do you still want to become a Shinobi?

Nobody would blame you if you decided this was too much and you wanted to retire to a civilian position."

There was a part of Sho that was sure Atagi would answer an affirmative yes, but there was a part of him that wished he wouldn't. Not because he didn't believe the man had potential, frankly Atagi's potential seemed borderline limitless, but more because he was worried about seeing his friend get hurt again.

613 words |

Dreams Conquer Nightmares [Sho]Apr 28, 2023 4:10:35 GMT -5
Uzumaki Atagi
Keep on keeping on.
Uzumaki Atagi Avatar
groupGrass Shinobi

To say that the two of them had grown close might've been an overestimate on his part, but closer. without any doubt. With the pat at his chest, Atagi gives two blinks, then cocks an incredulous brow at Sho, when he mentions that they may not see each other again. Of course, he can't just let that go without a correction. ”Wonderful people attract wonderful events to them, yeah? I'm glad to have met you too, but don't go talking like this is the end! I'm already s'posed to be exchanging letters with my fellow Twelve Hands fan, so it's not like it'd be inconvenient...” The redhead trails off in his train of thought, however, when he mentions a gift, shutting him up instantly...well, as instantly as one could manage with an Uzumaki, anyway. There's a furrowing of brows, expression awash with confusion and surprise. Clearly, he wasn't expecting the good doctor to leave with less than he came with.

When the older gentleman makes his way in, the kusa-nin eyes him curiously-- first instinct is to wave and say hello, but again, all that's produced is the shifting of the nub at his shoulder, an indication of something that was supposed to come out that didn't. The trunk was large, which piqued at Atagi's curiosity even more. Some flowers or a get-well-soon charm or some gear would be the norm...whatever this was, obviously wasn't.

Amber irises are upturned towards the Yamamoto, since he's clearly got more to say than just that. A swallow, as the question is posed to him. What were his intentions? Was he going to give up? Decide that a fate like this, or worse, was too much to handle? Too scary? Had he gotten in over his head chasing delusions of grandeur without realizing what might be sacrificed in that pursuit? Maybe he hadn't thought so much about his own safety as much as a soldier and tool of a country ought to, but...

”Of course I'm gonna!”

Not even an 'I want to', but an 'I will', ever brimming with self-confidence and conviction.

”It hardly matters what people do or don't blame me for, anyway-- I'm gonna become a great person for myself, yeah? Because I want to. Even if my ultimate goal is to help and save and assist and inspire, becoming the best damned shinobi Kusagakure's produced is the minimum, wouldn't you say? Or at least, throwing everything I have into the pursuit itself! That's just the sort of man Atagi Uzumaki is.”

To say that he wasn't shaken up by what'd happened was a total lie...but he had had enough taken from him, in recent memory. Hotarubi-- or anyone, for that matter-- could break his body, but he would hold onto his spirit with a white knuckled grip. That much he had decided long ago. It was especially important at a time like this, when he should be weak, to try not to be...even if part of him, however primal, wanted to just cry and wail and lament their ill fate.

()
aeron at thq
Dreams Conquer Nightmares [Sho]Apr 28, 2023 7:45:47 GMT -5
Yamamoto Shosuke
Yamamoto Shosuke Avatar
groupCloud Shinobi
And there it was, the endless optimism. Sho only wished that he could share the sentiment.

Kusa and Kumogakure might have been allies, and had been allies for the longest time, but the fact remained that they were still two different ninja villages. He was due to set off for Konoha in a few days himself so it wasn't like there was no travel between villages, but they were decidedly rare.

There was always a chance that Shosuke might be ordered to head to Kusa one day, but it was unlikely - He was a combat medic, and they would always be needed in the field somewhere rather than sitting around on a cushy village assignment.

"Yeah, but there's a difference between writing letters and being able to see each other. Even as pen pals, there's no more opportunities for us to train together, or get food, or just hang out." He said, his voice calm and placid like a still lake, hiding whatever emotions he might be feeling in the moment as he spoke. Moreover, after a short pause, another question came to his lips, this one far more quizzical and clearly curious.

"Also, what on earth is twelve hands?!"

Regardless of the question, Sho took comfort in the man's continued determination and nodded, placing the trunk on the ground and beginning to fiddle with the latch. It was a difficult thing to get undone, apparently resisting his attempts for a moment before it finally gave that oh-so-satisfying click that showed that his efforts had worked. Pulling the lid open, Shosuke slipped his hands inside and withdrew his gift.

A log.

It was a strange thing, neither big enough for Kawarimi no jutsu nor small enough to be used in a fire. It was rough and still covered in its bark, yet clearly shorn of its branches and anything else that might have gotten in the way. Holding it in place for a moment, Sho smiled at Atagi.

"I'm sure you remember from our training, but I'm skilled with Mokuton. I'm no Senju, but I've got a talent for it. Anyway, I researched the Senju a lot as a kid, and learned that they had a great skill for medicine and treatment. They say the most powerful of them could actually regenerate just based on their cells.

When you were mutilated by Hotarubi, I knew immediately I wanted to help you in any way I could. So, for the last week or so, I've been saturating a tree with my chakra and used it for some techniques to make sure its chock full of Yang energy.

I'm no carver, my cousin might be good at making puppets but I don't have her skills. My hands were built for surgery, not for whittling. Regardless, I thought I'd give you this as a gift."

There was a pause for a moment, as if Shosuke was unsure just how much he had to explain about this gift, before deciding to err on the side of caution. As great as Atagi was, he was a little dense from what he knew of the man.<p>

"I want you to make your new prosthetics out of it. It should be better at handling chakra, which should stop your uzumaki genes from breaking the poor things, and if by insane chance there is any Senju blood in me, maybe being in contact with them will ease pain from your wounds. I hear injuries like yours sting pretty badly when the weather's inclement, and Kusa isn't the dryest place in the world."

600 words |

Dreams Conquer Nightmares [Sho]May 7, 2023 5:50:23 GMT -5
Uzumaki Atagi
Keep on keeping on.
Uzumaki Atagi Avatar
groupGrass Shinobi

”...It’s too long to explain, ah. Ask Azarea about it, next time you get a chance.” A curt response, rare from the redhead. But it was of vital importance that he didn’t screw up Sho’s impression of the series, so he defers to their mutual acquaintance, who’d be far better versed in selling it. A tiny smile plays at his lips, imagining how that interaction might go.

Those thoughts are wiped away in short order, though, great interest was piqued in the mind and eyes of Atagi Uzumaki, curious pupils fixated on the trunk, only briefly flitting to Shosuke before the good med-nin went about fiddling with the latch to pop it open. Much like right before one unwraps a new present, there’s a swelling of anticipation, of wonder. What particular object would be inside, out of the nigh-infinite possibilities that a sealed container promised?

Then, a series of blinks. One; two three. The tiniest hint of tongue poking from his mouth, obviously somewhat perplexed. Before he can squeeze out so much as a ‘Wow!’ or even a ‘Thanks!’, though, the kumo-nin starts elaborating, so Atagi stays quiet, thankful that he doesn’t have to puzzle it out on his own.

”Ooh, interesting. Maybe someone like two hundred years removed from you in the family tree is a Senju, or sommat. Regeneration sounds neat, though! Sure would come in handy, in our line of work.”

A few nods, the slow tilt of the head…and then, finally, it’s spelled out for him.

”Awwh! What the hell, yeah? That’s way too nice!” Since he’s already sitting up, it’s not too hard to shift his legs over, moving to press his ear to the log, as if there was some secret or another he could attain by doing so. Popping back up, he takes a long look at the Kumo shinobi’s face, his own eyes more moist than usual, from the deluge of emotion.

”It’s true, they said I’d be able to tell when it was about to rain, and whatnot. But that aside– a whole week’s worth? Gods, it’s so thoughtful that I might cry.” It’s true, it looked like he just might, even despite the bright, cheery grin at his features. ”You’re an amazing guy, Sho. This’ll be the most treasured log out of all the gifted wood in the whole world. Gimmie a hug, yeah?” It’s not quite a demand, but more insistent than a regular query, for sure. Honestly, he would’ve thrown his arms about the Yamamoto without asking, if not for it being untenable in his current situation for obvious reasons.

()
aeron at thq

Dreams Conquer Nightmares [Sho]May 12, 2023 12:33:16 GMT -5
Yamamoto Shosuke
Yamamoto Shosuke Avatar
groupCloud Shinobi
Ask Azarea? Sho had to admit that he was surprised - He didn't know that Atagi knew Azarea. Though, he supposed, he probably should have expected it by now. The entire reason that he had been unable to bring himself to fight the girl in the first case was because she knew Azarea too. Perhaps Azarea really was destined for great things, just as Atagi was.... Either way, he supposed he just had to roll with it and accept it.

Were Sho to actually know about twelve hands, he would likely be a disappointment both to the Uzumaki and to his dearest senpai because he had never been much of one for fiction. Sure, Sho read a lot, but they were almost always non-fiction; things like informational journals, diaries of historical events, medical textbooks - Things that he could learn from, develop from, improve through the acquiring of said knowledge. What could he possibly gain from learning about some time travelling princess-type?

Apart from exactly the type of people that the people he liked had feelings for.... actually that alone might be reason enough, come to think of it.

Still, the conversation continued, and Sho wasn't able to focus on the concept of the book for long, instead having to deal with a sudden awkward tension in the room.

"Uh..... yeah.... Maybe..." Sho said, for the first time feeling a sense of awkwardness when Atagi brought up the possibility that some distant ancestor had been a Senju.

How do you even bring up the fact that your mother was a single parent? Or that she got pregnant in the same event you had just flunked out of? Or that you were essentially adopted into your clan because your real grandparents didn't want anything to do with you?

But even if his elusive father hadn't been a Senju as he had occasionally theorised, maybe Atagi was right. Maybe his mother had simply taken the fall for something that she hadn't been able to control.

You would have imagined it would have popped up before in the family line but there was no guarantee that that was the case. After all, genetic birth defects sometimes skipped entire lines. .Though it was hard to call Mokuton a birth defect, maybe Atagi had stumbled upon something after all.

Something to look into another time, perhaps...

That thought was rapidly thrown out of his head though as Atagi looked as if he was at risk of breaking into tears upon the reception of the log. Sho, someone who had never been the most gifted with human interaction, was about to suggest that they forget about the tree if it was making Atagi upset, but it seemed like this was one of those "happy tears" situations.

Still, when pressed, Sho did indeed lean in and give the boy a hug. It was awkward, both from the fact that Sho was not familiar with such intimacy but also because there were no arms to wrap back around him in return, leaving him to juts sorta guess how tight this needed to be.

"The moment you get out of this hospital bed, let me know, yeah? I'll help you train to get used to them before you go back to Kusagakure. After that... well, I guess I'll find out how well it works from those letters you were talking about sending."

561 words |

Dreams Conquer Nightmares [Sho]May 15, 2023 4:30:36 GMT -5
Uzumaki Atagi
Keep on keeping on.
Uzumaki Atagi Avatar
groupGrass Shinobi

Atagi isn't shy in the slightest, burying his face against the crook of Sho's shoulder. Not only is he ecstatic about the gift itself, but he's also terribly enthused by the sentiment itself. He was grateful often when he didn't even need to be, whether out of a sense of ethic or responsibility or just genuine thankfulness for even the tiniest of boons. But to pour hours n' days of ones own life into making something just for him? It was...unfathomable wasn't exactly right. But it was decidedly unexpected. There's a few happy sobs as the Kusa-nin works to regain his composure, staining the fabric of the Yamamoto's clothing with some of those gleeful tears. Finally, he seems to catch his breath, a small series of movements with the head (the face?) to indicate a readiness to cease that physical contact.

”Nnn. Sorry, I probably look pretty pathetic, aha.” he says, grinning like an idiot with wetness in his eyes. ”I dunno if I'll get the chance to see anyone before we're shipped back-- I get the sense that they think it's dangerous to be mostly helpless in what's technically not friendly territory. But I will if I can, absolutely!” It's a resolution cut by the dryness of practicality, unfortunately, but they both of them assuredly knew how matters of politics and bureaucracy reared their heads constantly in shinobi life.

”I would've liked to watch the rest of the matches with you, too! But I s'pose I'll just have to get the reader's digest versions from Koji or Ichi or whomever else, ultimately.” A small, pointed frown, at that particular realization. Cheering on some of his new found acquaintances would've been nice, but again, such was the way of things.

”Thanks a million, again. I'm really, sincerely happy to have met you, Shosuke. I'll be keeping my eyes n' ears on you, and your career, with great interest. So don't go dyin' on a mission or what have you before we get the chance to meet in person, again!” It's a goodbye in every sense but the actual word itself, giving a decisive nod. ”...And I'll be sure to keep in touch! I hope you'll do the same. I want every life update, yeah? If you're goin' on dates, how your work is proceeding, if you discover any more of your secret mokuton-touched past...” It wasn't desperate insistence, but the sort of assured closeness that came naturally when Atagi assumed, as he often did, that he'd made 'a friend for life'. At the very least, he'd filed Sho away into that category on his end.

()
aeron at thq
Dreams Conquer Nightmares [Sho]May 17, 2023 19:04:47 GMT -5
Yamamoto Shosuke
Yamamoto Shosuke Avatar
groupCloud Shinobi
As Atagi brought his head into the crook of Sho's shoulder, one could see the man blush with a violent shade of crimson. It wasn't as if Sho was unfamiliar with gratitude, there were plenty of people who thanked him for his work in treating them. But that usually topped out at verbal thanks, or maybe a handshake if he was lucky.

This sort of intimate physical contact, it was something that he was extremely unfamiliar with.

He couldn't remember the last time that he had been hugged by anyone outside of his mom or his adopted grandfather. And to pair that with the one hugging him being Atagi...

It was fair to say at this point that his crush on Atagi had withered away. Sure, the boy was handsome, tall, rugged, athletic, an all around snack... Well, suffice to say, he was hot. But it was his personality that had killed Sho's romantic interest. He was too... nice. Too wholesome, and too stupid. Yet, somehow, that stupidity wasn't a bad thing at all. It was wonderful, beautiful, blessed naivete. Even after suffering as he had, he retained that beautiful spirit.

It was a pure, beautiful thing. Sullying that with romantic or lustful feelings felt wrong, somehow. Honestly, Atagi had become more of an idol and goal to Sho than even the Raikage. A goal to aim for, and Atagi had already achieved it.

Given the signal to pull back, Shosuke nodded and pulled back, letting Atagi slide back into his bed more comfortably than before.

"They're not wrong, you know - It's been a long time since the last war, but that doesn't mean the animosity and sentiments behind it have withered away.

You're an Uzumaki, your clan is mostly well-liked around the place, but you're still a Kusa-nin at heart. There are people out there who would use your moment of vulnerability to send a message to your Lady."

Though Shosuke didn't recognize the names given, he simply nodded. It was a shame, but he would likely do the same thing; there was no point at watching them at this point. Sure, he could observe them and learn from them, but what good would that do?

He would likely never see any of them again, and if he did it'd probably be on the other side of a knife.

Standing up, understanding that his time with his friend was ending, he got ready to leave, sure that there would be another visitor in due time and not wanting to step on anyone's toes.

"I'm not sure I'll still have a career after this. The Raikage's a brilliant woman, but you don't get to that level of power by being nice. But if I do.... Well, I hope to do something you're proud of. After all, it's friendships like ours that keep allied villages together. Recover soon, and write sooner Atagi~"

And with that, he was gone.

487 words |

quick reply

compose a reply