compose a reply
To Encourage Nature [Urikohime]May 3, 2023 18:57:47 GMT -5
Uzumaki Atagi
Keep on keeping on.
Uzumaki Atagi Avatar
groupGrass Shinobi
age 21 years old birthday April 29th rank Genin occupation
Relieve strength that encumbers

Six hundred five…six hundred six…six hundred seven…

To say that the genin from the grass’s stay at the hospital was mind-numbing would be something of an exaggeration. There were visitors, from time to time. Staff to check in on him, make sure that he was still alive, and not suffering from further complication or ailment. Still, for someone who was so used, simply put, to moving, or exploring, or doing just about anything he could find the seconds in the day for, being confined to a bed and deprived of much agency was wearing down at the walls of his patience. The ever-flowing font of optimism that bolstered his spirit hadn’t waned much, but he was getting to the point where in his waking moments, there was a lot of time spent simply and silently observing. At this juncture, he had spent the better part of the last hour counting every dot, crack, imperfection and mark on the ceiling of the hospital room, ‘just to see if he could’.

Man, who knew that so many daily tasks relied on actually having most of your limbs, yeah? I’m gonna stop and hug every cripple I see from now on, I swear it.

You say that like there’s an excess of crippled people that you come across in daily life to hug.

It’s the fact that I have the thought that’s important, don’t you think so?

Ah, man, now I’m having conversations with myself. I gotta distract myself better n’ that.

There’s a small tilt of the head to glance out the nearby window, which he had insisted nigh-always be open so that the room didn’t get too stuffy, perhaps worried that if the air was too stagnant that he, too, would end up that way. Watching the clouds drift by was a bit boring, but it served as another way to pass the time.

Then, a sound at the door. The noise practically hooks at his earlobe, yanking him up into a sitting position with great haste. The bandaged nubs that used to be his arms flop up along with the rest of his body, reflexively trying to move at his hair to make himself slightly more presentable…but instead he’s relegated to sharp little shifts at the neck, to try n’ move a particularly annoying red lock from inbetween his eyes.

”I’m awake!” he calls out, just in case whomever it was was waiting for an invitation.

()
aeron at thq

last edit by Uzumaki Atagi on May 3, 2023 18:58:53 GMT -5
Knocker has written 327 posts
To Encourage Nature [Urikohime]May 4, 2023 23:34:50 GMT -5
Kayahara Urikohime
Uogokoro areba mizugokoro.
Kayahara Urikohime Avatar
groupnull
age 20 years old birthday February 15 rank Genin occupation Medic Ninja
To say that Uriko's view of the world had gone to many jagged pieces was an understatement. Her loss to Yamanaka Itsuki had been, in her opinion, mostly because she had refused to be decisive when fighting him. She had almost as many (if not just as many) dangerous shinobi tools as the Yamanaka boy had, and yet she had been reluctant to use them to absolute efficiency. No, to be more honest to herself, she had been scared to use them. Because the thought of gravely injuring a fellow citizen of her own village was unthinkable to her. Because she would rather heal than hurt. Itsuki had not had her scruples, and despite her advantage based on experience, she had lost.

To be very fair to the kid, he was quite talented. Being able to sense her position relatively well, as well as using that high-level body controlling Hiden were testaments to the fact that Itsuki was nothing near a pushover. But even though a part of her was pleased that she could live with the fact that he had not been severely injured by her, the realization that she had likely failed the Chuunin exam, and thus the opportunity to advance beyond Genin, was especially stinging. If she had been Itsuki's age, perhaps she would have been more patient. But people her age, nay, people younger than she was, had already attained the rank of Jounin. And she would stagnate.

If that had not been bad enough, Uriko had also, shortly after, received the news of Uzumaki Atagi's brutal maiming at the hands of Hotarubi. And it only served to suggest to her that the place of kind and compassionate people, who tried to make the world a better place, was anywhere but the ninja world. To be a shinobi, one had to be heartless, cruel, ruthless. If this was not so, then why hadn't Hotarubi been stopped before he destroyed Atagi's arms? Of course, there were whispers that this was allowed, because Atagi was from Kusagakure, an ally of Konohagakure, with whom Iwagakure was at loggerheads. In any case, nothing had happened to the Takigakure ninja responsible for the destruction of Atagi's dreams.

For how would the self-proclaimed hero-to-be continue to pursue his dreams of becoming a hero, if he had lost his arms? Uriko had never heard of anybody continuing as a ninja without both arms. The loss of one was manageable, but losing both made one almost less effective than a civilian. There was nothing Uriko could do except to attempt to comfort him. Even though there had been a lot of drama at their last meeting, Uriko considered him something of a friend, albeit a weird one. Not to mention an ally, as far as shinobi village diplomacy was concerned.

Uriko went to see Atagi at the height of the afternoon. Chances were, with the exams proceeding, and so many things to do in Kuwana, this would be the time that people were out and about, making visitors fewer, hopefully. Even though she was going to attempt to cheer someone up, Uriko herself was highly depressed, and did not want to meet with anyone else. Perhaps pulling away from others was not the best coping mechanism, but for now, she wasn't sure she could cope interacting with more than one person. Her hunch about people enjoying the bright and sunny day was right; not many visitors were presently around. That could change soon, but for now, she would gladly accept the fact that there weren't many people to deal with.

A nurse directed Uriko to the door of Atagi's hospital room, and she hesitated outside the door, scared to see what was beyond it. It seemed however, that he had heard shuffling outside, and called out that he was awake. His voice still sounded cheery and full of life; it was almost impossible to believe that anything had happened to him. Sliding the door open, Uriko tried to put on a cheerful demeanor of her own, as she held up the bag in her other hand. "Konnichiwa, Atagi-kun! I made you some oden...." The sight of the bandaged stubs that were what his arms were supposed to be crushed whatever attempt Uriko was making to seem cheerful. Unbidden tears rushed to her eyes and spilled out, as she began to sob. "I-- I'm so sorry, Atagi-kun. I came here to cheer you up, and yet I... why is life this unfair?"

'If the fish is kind to the water, the water will be kind to the fish'. Fat chance.

Ronin has written 328 posts
To Encourage Nature [Urikohime]May 7, 2023 17:49:01 GMT -5
Uzumaki Atagi
Keep on keeping on.
Uzumaki Atagi Avatar
groupGrass Shinobi

Atagi was taken by surprise at finally getting a proper look at the visage of his latest visitor, a stupidly cheery grin rising to his face despite being caught off guard. Despite his teasing and at least a handful of social faux pas, he was under the impression that they got along well enough– maybe not enough to be friends, but at least having taken two steps, maybe even five or six, down that path. Eyes slowly move from her, to the bag, then back to her. The gears of his mind start moving, thoughts proceeding at a mechanical crawl that starts to pick up steam, accelerating.

How nice, yeah? Ah, quick, I gotta think of something to say. Something witty? Something to take the edge and awkwardness out of meeting like this. Oh, or I could dive outta bed and do a tumble into popping up in front of her, that’d be cool. But cool in a strange and purposeless way, or cool in a way that actually achieved something? Probably the latter.

Thankfully, his train of thought is derailed by Urikohime piping up first, so he doesn’t have to make a decision on which choice to pursue. Not-so-thankfully, however, was the fact that she’d rapidly broken down, emotionally speaking. Ah, man. It’s just like Koji, yeah? I wonder if I really look so pitiful. She wasn’t the first to spill into tears upon visiting him in his current state, and she likely wouldn’t be the last. Shifting from sitting up to swing his legs off the bed, Atagi pops up to his feet, partly wobbly from laying around most of the day. Raising his head, he puts up a brave face, pushing aside his own insecurities, worries, and anxieties to try n’ assuage that of the person in front of him. That was his nature, crippled or no.

”No need to apologize at all, yeah? I know it’s probably a bit overwhelming, so.” A brief pause. ”Just seeing a pretty girl’s enough to cheer up a guy like me, so you’ve done plenty just by coming to visit, yeah? It means a lot.” For someone who was so often raucous, overbearing, or otherwise forceful– his voice’s taken on a softer quality, almost like a lilt, as he tries to comfort the sobbing shinobi from the leaf, before him.

…Trying to look triumphant is a little tiring, though, so he plops down onto the side of the bed, the springs making a little noise from the force.

”It ain’t all doom and gloom, y’know. We may not always be able to control our circumstances, but we can at least control how we react, so. I’m trying to look on the bright side of things. I’m still alive, for one, so that’s worth it’s weight in gold, considering the thorough thrashing I got. They told me that a minute later, or me getting impaled a few more inches to one side, and I’d have been a goner, for sure. Of course, it takes more than that to keep me down, bahaha.” Atagi Uzumaki was ever-optimistic, but it wasn’t true at all that he was unfazed, if Uriko had the keenness to sense that almost forced quality in his words, deliberately picked out to convince, cheer, and console.

”Anyway, ah. You don’t have to stand around in the doorway, y’know. Not like I can assault you, like this.” A waggish sticking out of the tongue’s partnered with a little rotation of his arm sublets, just for a moment or two, from a joke made at his own expense.

()
aeron at thq

last edit by Uzumaki Atagi on May 7, 2023 17:49:29 GMT -5
To Encourage Nature [Urikohime]May 11, 2023 20:31:57 GMT -5
Kayahara Urikohime
groupnull
Uriko felt a bit ashamed that, despite Atagi being the one who had undergone such trauma, he was trying to console her. She had come to cheer him up, and he was the one doing the cheering. Quietly, she willed her tears to subside. They did not, initially, but with sufficient willpower being brought to bear on such a task, the cascade flowing down her cheeks eventually ceased. After wiping her face with her free hand, the Konoha Genin shook her head. "It is necessary to apologize," she replied, "having made you expend more energy than I should have allowed you to."

His optimism was incredible. Uriko wanted to ask Atagi how he managed to stay so upbeat and cheerful, even though his dreams seemed to have been shattered before his very eyes. But she was sure she knew the answer: he was simply thankful to be alive. Maybe her problem was that, even though she tried to be altruistic, she expected too much from life. It was foolish to do so, seeing that life was so uncertain and no one really had any right to expect better than the next person. No wonder people sought power so frantically, because they hoped that with this they could perhaps defy any fate that sought to confine them to an existence less than what they desired.

But what other way existed, aside the unrelenting search for power? In this world, it seemed only the strong made it ahead. Those who couldn't either died, or relied on the strong to get them to where they needed to be. And someone like Atagi was the 'hero', the one the weak depended on. So how did heroes fare when they weren't strong? Uriko was sure that if she posed the question to the Kusagakure ninja, he would probably reply that one simply grew strong by not giving up. Endurance, as they said, was the way of the ninja. But what did one do when one could not endure any longer, or when one encountered a trial too difficult to endure?

Even as Uriko contemplated these questions, Atagi invited her into the room, assuring her that she was safe from his assaults. "And yet you stick out your tongue at me. Am I to assume you want to assault me with that? Idiot...." The fondness of the tone with which she branded Atagi with what would have been considered an insult, indicated that she did not really mean to slight him deliberately. Closing the distance between herself and the redhead, the green-haired girl settled on the edge of the bed daintily, before setting the food she had brought on the table beside his bed.

"Atagi-kun..." there was a pause, as Uriko contemplated how to ask the question on her mind. "I'm sorry, I know I'm being cruel, but I need to know this. You desire is to be a hero... but has this not ruined your dream? How do you intend to move forward? I ask this, not to make you question yourself, but because even though I'm incredibly weak, I want to help.... I want to help you not have to give up on your dream."

To Encourage Nature [Urikohime]May 12, 2023 6:58:46 GMT -5
Uzumaki Atagi
Keep on keeping on.
Uzumaki Atagi Avatar
groupGrass Shinobi

It's true; the fact that his very life had been spared when there was a certainty that it'd end at the maw and blade-arm of Hotarubi from Takigakure was part of why it was so easy to remain optimistic, at a time like this. To be thrust into the depths of despair, to have to face every nerve and fiber of one's being begging for just a few seconds more of survival, then wrenched back out into the rays of life from miracles of medicine and ninjutsu alike...well, he was still suffering some emotional whiplash there, it was safe to say.

When she takes him up on the offer to come on in, that roguish tongue withdraws itself back into the contented smile at Atagi's features. Her verbal jab makes him snicker, almost despite himself. Urikohime really has a talent for setting herself up. She'd make for half of a good comedy duo. ”With my tongue? I'm not opposed, but a hospital? We really oughta do it normally a few times before spicing it up, like regular people.”he remarks, lively sparkle in his eyes. The situation might've been uniquely sad, but it was precisely because of that that it was important to act in a way that preserved his very identity-- which included, of course, poorly timed suggestive statements. If he could work a blush out of the melon princess every time they met, he considered that a victory.

Once she's set down the oden, yellow globes can't help but be fixated on the food, for a handful of moments. Though he'd tried once or twice, eating without being fed wasn't something he was all too practiced at, yet. Ah, well. That sort of bridge was for crossing when you arrived. Pocketing away the roadmap, there's a slight shift to face her, sitting next to him. A serious expression, one that demanded a certain gravitas Atagi's usual mirth lacked. As such, the sly grin retreats to a softer, more neutral expression, the look of thoughts rolling about in his skull present at his eyes. How his dream had been snatched away, or at least, how it seemed that way. His plans for going forth...and an earnest, heartfelt insistence that she was there to help.

The Uzumaki draws a deep breath. Though he rarely took issue with honesty, it still wasn't an easy thing to be vulnerable in front of someone. But to shy away from it would be its own cowardice, to make poor Uriko do it all alone, so that's part of what helps to spur it on from him, in turn.

”I don't think it's cruel at all, yeah? I've asked myself the question already, a million n' a half times, so it's both obvious and fair.” Though he's glancing off to the side, there's a resolution made to look her in the eyes and talk properly, however uncomfortable the subject matter.

”There's plenty of ways to be a paragon of the people, to protect and inspire, even if I was like this for a long time, I'm sure! I'd just have to get creative. The doctors said that, ah, I could at the very least get some sort of prosthesis, and that shinobi are actually much better at using them than a civilian, so...” Of course, either of those two options would present their own challenges and difficulties. There's a little wetness in his eyes, a tiny show of weakness.

”Well, I'm surrounded by greater minds and talents than my own, hard as that may be to believe. I'll find a way forward-- to be defeated is to admit defeat, yeah? In other words, I'm not giving up just 'cause of...this.” Another small rotation of the shoulders, drawing attention to those severed limbs.

”I appreciate your kindness, though! For now-- just getting through day by day is plenty. I don't think you're incredibly weak, either! I was watching your match; maybe you even heard me cheering you on, I dunno. But it was a close fought one! You've got lots of aptitude, and came out better for wear than some supposedly heroic n' triumphant figure like me, so! I insist that you give yourself more credit.” It's almost predictable, how he'll jump to her metaphorical defense in a heartbeat once she says something so self depreciating.

”...for the time being, I've got to admit, um. If you could help me enjoy your gift, maybe, that'd be ideal.” Why was he getting all bashful now? It was so easy to say sappy or stupidly earnest things, but the prospect of being fed was supposed to be embarrassing? What a curious fellow.

()
aeron at thq
To Encourage Nature [Urikohime]May 12, 2023 23:10:18 GMT -5
Kayahara Urikohime
groupnull
Uriko had to remember to stop giving Atagi ammunition for his teasing. "How-- how lewd!" she exclaimed, even as her attempt to resist the onset of a fierce blush failed. "You haven't changed...." But in this case, that was a good thing. When in the midst of difficult times, one needed to hold on to themselves with everything they had. That Atagi was still making such irreverent comments suggested that he was managing to hold on to something. In his present state, he needed all the hope he could get.

Her question made the Uzumaki more morose, making Uriko worried that she had somehow offended him or dampened his mood. There were a few options he could explore, he said, including prosthetics. A new field in medical science, with lots of untapped potential. Perhaps this was where he would get his dream returned to him. But even now, it was a bit too early to know the next steps to take. Uriko noticed the wetness in his eyes, and was about to apologize again, but then he commented that admitting defeat was when one got defeated.

A heroic thing to say, but it did not change the fact that kind people suffered most in this world. Even though Uriko was more convinced than ever that she had chosen the right path as a medic ninja, if only perhaps to be able to somehow help those who were in need of it, she was not so convinced anymore that the world needed the amount of kindness the likes of Atagi or herself poured into it. Even as Atagi commended her potential, Uriko wondered whether just potential would get her to where she desired to be, namely the position of Chuunin.

Uriko nodded with a smile, even though she thought there wasn't much credit to give herself. The Uzumaki's request to have her help him enjoy what she had brought him made her smile transform to a more devious-looking one. "Could this be? Could this be my chance to have my long desired revenge?" the Konohagakure girl asked as she unpacked the food, though her expression quickly became gentler as she set everything in order. Holding the bowl of soup in her left hand, Uriko scooped up a spoonful and held up the filled spoon. "Say aah...."

To Encourage Nature [Urikohime]May 15, 2023 4:31:17 GMT -5
Uzumaki Atagi
Keep on keeping on.
Uzumaki Atagi Avatar
groupGrass Shinobi

That devious uttering should've been the first thing to tip him off, but Atagi had already asked, so there was really no backing out of it now. No, it was only when Urikohime actually brought out the food and was going about spooning it to him that a furious blush rose to his cheeks, this time. Ah, man. I should've considered what I was getting into. Should I back out and insist that a nurse do it? No no, that'd just offend her, not to mention it'd be extremely cowardly! Chastising at himself internally, nonetheless, the Uzumaki follows through with the cliché feeding scene (that he's probably read at least once or twice in some romance novel or another), with a tentative. ”A-aah...” Despite being typically quite shameless, and the act itself not being one that's all too embarrassing in a vacuum, there were numerous factors at play, here.

The first was that while getting used to being fed was a neccessity in his current state, and a rotation of nurses in the hospital (they had lots to attend to, the flood of tourists and shinobi alike to Kuwana meaning that they were booming with business for better or worse) had already done it for him whenever he needed it...but having someone that you were close to do it, friend or otherwise, was obviously a world of difference. Not only was he unused to being stripped of agency in general, but giving it up to someone who he'd gotten used to having the metaphorical upper hand over (at least when it came to teasing) was equally embarrassing. Like having the tables turned, somehow.

Not that the kind-hearted kunoichi from the leaf was going to rub it in, it seemed. That much, Atagi was thankful for. Giving a slurp at the soup, there's a small movement of the lips before he swallows it down, warmth dropping into his chest n' gut all at once. Blinking twice, there's a poking of the tongue out to scoop at a little droplet at the corner of his mouth. ”Ah. It's delicious! You didn't make it yourself, did you, Kohime-chan?” he asks, eyes wordlessly demanding more.

”What're your plans for the immediate future, and when you go home, anyway? How d'you feel about your 'bout? D'you think that you'll end up having qualified despite losing?” A veritable bombardment of questions, but it felt polite, for one, to give her something to do even while she was going about feeding him, and he was genuinely interested in her affairs, as he might've been with anyone he'd gotten attached to (or forcibly attached himself to) over the course of the exams...and in general, really.

()
aeron at thq
To Encourage Nature [Urikohime]May 15, 2023 21:41:57 GMT -5
Kayahara Urikohime
groupnull
Uriko took notice of Atagi's fierce blush even as she made ready to feed him. That was interesting. For some reason she was yet to determine, he seemed to be embarrassed by her feeding him. Perhaps she could get to the bottom of it. At the same time, though, the kunoichi did not wish to make it known that she was quite curious about his response. So, she made no comment on the matter for the meantime, instead noting, with a great deal of satisfaction, his body language which suggested that he really liked it.

Still, being Urikohime, she decided to introduce a bit of drama, as Atagi wondered if she had cooked the oden. "What," she asked, feigning offense, "you think that as a kunoichi, I focus too much on my training to be able to make a good meal? How insulting, hmph!" She was simply trying to lightheartedly bug Atagi a bit. She would let Atagi respond to her apparent annoyance, before her indignant expression quickly transformed into a playful smile. "I'm glad you like it! Although I wonder what could have transformed the mighty Uzumaki Atagi, Hero of Kusagakure and its allies, into a shivering wreck, just a few moments earlier." she finished in a mischievous tone, as she returned the now empty spoon to the soup bowl.

Even though Atagi had not said it, Uriko was quick to see the expectant glint in his eyes, and scooped up another spoon of soup, offering it to him while she answered his question. "To be honest, I don't know. I'm still going to be a ninja, I'm sure, but a lot of what I grew up with has been shaken by the events in this exam," she replied contemplatively. "I've no idea if I shall qualify to be a Chuunin. I'd hope my relatively impressive showing during the hike to Kuwana will make the evaluators judge me favorably. As to how I feel about my bout, I feel horrible," she was being honest, "I just don't know... maybe my opinion on what it means to be a ninja has been faulty from the get-go."

If Atagi had taken the soup in the spoon, Uriko would scoop up another spoonful and offer it to him.

last edit by Kayahara Urikohime on May 15, 2023 21:42:32 GMT -5
To Encourage Nature [Urikohime]Jun 5, 2023 8:37:44 GMT -5
Uzumaki Atagi
Keep on keeping on.
Uzumaki Atagi Avatar
groupGrass Shinobi

The good-natured ribbing that Urikohime tossed his way was ever-so-graciously caught by the Uzumaki, throwing a simple, solid shrug that said 'who could know?' to her query about what had gotten him so awkward. Instead, there's a slight craning of the neck and another 'mlem' as he engulfs the spoonful of lunch, slurping it down with the bare modicum of effort put forth to not be too rude. Eyes latched onto hers, overflowing with a straightforward desire to learn and hear and explore more. Tongue flits from his mouth, not retracting right away, to soak some of the broth that'd been left at his lips, then he's quick to respond.

”You've gotten shaken up that badly?” The incredulity of his tone was such that she might as well have told him the sun was just extinguished. Was it truly so unfathomable, to him, that one's ideals or perception of the world could be changed by an event like the exams, as full of spectacle as they were brutality? ”Even if you didn't make it this time, there's always next time, yeah? And on top of that, there's more than one road to the top of the mountain!” It could hardly have been considered a 'common' saying, but Atagi's aphorisms were neverending. ”...Well, talk to me about it!” Another pause to scarf down more of the food. Somehow it seemed his enjoyment was snowballing, each mouthful more delectable than the last.

”About, ah. What it was you thought that could've gotten tossed around, to begin with. How that's changed-- maybe your story in general? I 'unno, I'm not a therapist, so whatever makes you feel best or better's fine.” A beaming expression, proud of nothing and everything all at once, eager to help in whatever capacity he could...considering his counterpart was quite literally spoonfeeding him all the while.

()
aeron at thq
To Encourage Nature [Urikohime]Jun 5, 2023 16:02:57 GMT -5
Kayahara Urikohime
groupnull
Atagi's incredulous tone made Uriko almost become defensive, but she decided against attempting to justify herself. If, as the Uzumaki had put it, she had gotten shaken up that badly, then perhaps her nindo was built on a shaky premise. All she said instead was, "I guess I don't have a very stable foundation. But it's difficult to remain unshaken when one's views on how the world works seem to have evaporated into thin air." Frankly, she was surprised that Atagi had remained unflappable. There were only two types of people who were that unyielding: the very resolute, or the very stupid. Atagi was hopefully the former.

The Kusagakure ninja seemed interested in hearing Uriko's dilemma, so she spooned up more soup and offered it to him, as she spoke. "I became a ninja because I felt it was quite possible to make some positive improvements to the world as a ninja. I believed that 'if the fish is kind to the water, then the water will be kind to the fish'. Doing kind deeds would make for kinder people. A ninja doing kind deeds would make for kinder ninja. I strongly wonder if I haven't been badly deluded all along.

The world of ninja, the life of ninja, is dominated by the veneration of power. Strength, not kindness, is the most desired quality. Kindness is probably just a waste of time."

To Encourage Nature [Urikohime]Jul 17, 2023 12:38:15 GMT -5
Uzumaki Atagi
Keep on keeping on.
Uzumaki Atagi Avatar
groupGrass Shinobi

It was difficult to remain unshaken when one's views evaporated into thin air? Atagi supposed that made sense. Those eyes of his, little amber ovals, move over the form of the leaf nin, but always drift back to her face, inevitably. She was pretty, that much was certain, and it helped as far as reasons for not taking his eyes off her went-- but there was something else, too. A probing quality in his yellowed pools, the way one sized up an enemy. Just as you could see the tensing of muscle before a strike or the twist of the wrist that preceded a handseal, you could see the furrow of brow before a difficult statement, the twitch of a mouth prior to a lie, a gulp down a throat before a nervously uttered truth. Interest in and ofher is channeled into trying to get ahead, to not miss an ounce of clue or a liter of context, such that his understanding could grow at a breakneck pace. It seemed a silly thing to take from his training, but for Atagi, who rarely succeeded at anything at the first try...well, to channel an excess of effort into even something as innocuous as listening was only right.

As for the quality of his unyielding tendency...well, if she'd ask, he'd have remarked that he was frighteningly tenacious. His father had once told him that destiny was like a wind, that it swept away they who thought themselves implacable, their things, plans, and designs in the blink of an eye or snap of the finger. That it never stopped blowing, whether a modest gust or a mighty tempest, unflagging in its nature.

Atagi Uzumaki fancied that he'd like to become like that wind, one day.

Another spoon of soup. Past being a sneaking suspicion, it was getting tastier by the mouthful, he'd discovered.

When Uriko reveals just where she's landed, though, just what sort of black sea she's tumbled into after her foundation's crumbled beneath her feet, Atagi can't help but react violently. ”It's not! There's an almost desperate quality to that cry, as he scoots forth and thrusts his face closer to hers, such that his breath, still touched by the quality of soup, might tickle at her skin. It's sudden, and strange, but he can't let her take so much as one step down that dark path, not without trying to stop her, at least.

”You haven't been....” 'Deluded', that is. Quieter now, but still just as intense, a heat behind his eyes that was unmistakable, the sort that'd singe at the skin with every word. ”To have strength without kindness is to mistake tyranny for justice, yeah? To lose the part of you that believes in hope, that champions kindness-- you won't be Kohime-chan anymore! I won't stand for it. I'd beat those inclinations out of you myself, before I let you.” A bit of that mirth showed through again, surfacing to the tensely pulled pond that was the Uzumaki's features. To make matters worse, even though it made he probably more uncomfortable than she, Atagi refused to withdraw, making a stand. She'd have to acquiesce before he removed himself from her personal bubble, he decided, as if clinging onto her would stop her from that slow march toward tyranny.

Not that he had anything to cling to her with, anyway.

()
aeron at thq
last edit by Uzumaki Atagi on Jul 17, 2023 12:39:53 GMT -5
To Encourage Nature [Urikohime]Jul 17, 2023 21:10:09 GMT -5
Kayahara Urikohime
groupnull
Uriko had been practically musing to herself, even as she had answered Atagi's question regarding what had changed as a result of the Chuunin Exams, and why. As a result, the young man's passionate cry, attempting to refute the root beneath her despondency at the shinobi world not being what she had hoped it to be, took the kunoichi by surprise. No matter the attenuating circumstances, it was quite unexpected to have someone else's face suddenly so close to hers that she could smell the faint whiff of the spicy oden on his breath. Uriko reflexively jerked her head backwards, her eyes springing wide open, as she found herself shocked into silence.

Despite her surprise, the kunoichi was quite attentive, quietly listening to the Kusa nin's words. A part of her mind found it interesting how Atagi had not particularly attempted to appeal to any form of reason to make her change her mind, perhaps except that her kindness was a fundamental part of her own nature, and to change it meant to become someone else entirely. But which was better, changing to become someone else, or getting the power to attain one's own goals? Still, Uriko had to admit, throwing away her values for something as fickle as power was a rather steep price to pay.

Slowly, the kunoichi's brows furrowed, and she held up an open palm, fingers placed together, which she gently slapped against the front of Atagi's face, keeping her hand there so she couldn't see those earnest eyes. "Yeesh! You're really annoying," Uriko said, but her voice was soft. She sighed, putting her hand down. "But then again, thank you. I guess I needed to hear that. I don't think it would speak rather well of me if I gave up on my ideals so easily, I suppose. I'll need time to think about the benefits of altruism, though, and how I can prevent myself from suffering harm if I persisted in retaining such an apparently vulnerable stance. And as for you..."

She held up another soup-filled spoon.

To Encourage Nature [Urikohime]Aug 30, 2023 17:28:55 GMT -5
Uzumaki Atagi
Keep on keeping on.
Uzumaki Atagi Avatar
groupGrass Shinobi

Appealing to reason? Please, reason was the thing that people first discarded in times of sharp emotional response, whether it was crisis or criticism. That, and…well, Atagi Uzumaki was the sort of person who tried to make up for what he lacked in just about everything with naught but passion and dedication, salves and solvents to patch every cut and crater both. When she sets a hand to his face, to cover it, to shield her from irises practically sparkling with an insistence toward truth, it reddens, what was only a shallow tinge at the cheeks before having deepened into redness proper, and he pulls back, just enough. The expressions on his face shift rapidly, surprise, then embarrassment, then finally a bright, beaming smile again, a far cry from that intense look before, the one that could’ve easily been seen set at someone’s features before they killed– even if he’d used it to try and be kind, instead.

There was something to her line of thinking, loathe as he might ever be to admit it. Of course, power was a tempting thing. It allowed you to change the very world around you, leveraged in the right places. But he was, and always would be, the type to insist that to change oneself was nearly always preferable to changing the world. Perhaps, as it was so often said, the world could be divided into those ‘two types of people’.

”You’re welcome!” he practically chirps in response to her thanks, despite the clear embarrassment scribbled across his features. ”I’ll tell you anytime, and as many times as you need to hear it. I’ve grown quite fond of the Urikohime in front of me, so I’ll only accept improvements, not diminishments. If I see any of those, I’ll have to kick ‘em out of you.” Kick, of course, because…well. He was as he was. A brief pause.

”Or lick.” Another roguish look, the slight poke out of that tongue again, and he finally relents to accept the spoonful of soup, gulping it down with the ardor of a man whose throat was arid. There’s a few moments of quiet, again, but such instances were few and far between, if Atagi was around and able to speak.

”As far as not suffering harm from it…I decided long ago that it’s simply not possible, yeah? Hurt is inevitable, in life, especially for those who pick paths like ours.” Wasn’t that terribly audacious? ‘Paths like ours’, that is. Presumption was his bread and butter– if he was wrong, well. Someone had never hesitated to correct him before. ”Everyone finds their own answer. Mine is simply to become the sort of person who can endure any injury; metaphorically, obviously, but perhaps literally, too. With enough strength of will, it should be possible. Fall down ninety nine times, get up a hundred, right?” There’s a thoughtful expression that crops up on his features, if and when she answers. For how headstrong he can be, Atagi ultimately is a person of intense curiosity. Smart? Not exactly. But always eager to learn, and that was worth its weight in gold.

Eventually, he brings up something that’s been vexing him for at least a little while. Well. ‘Vexing’ was perhaps a strong word, but what else was there for thoughts one failed to shake?

”D’you suppose we’ll see each other, again? I’d like to.” There’s a little lick of the lips, not predatory, far from it, an errant swipe just to get any leftover oden that he’d failed to acquire. ”After I figure out how I’ll push forward, that is.”

()
aeron at thq

To Encourage Nature [Urikohime]Sept 1, 2023 22:56:03 GMT -5
Kayahara Urikohime
groupnull
As Uriko placed her hand over Atagi's face, she noticed the reddening of his cheeks, as his expressions cycled through surprise then embarrassment, and then the smile. Hmm. It seemed that despite his rambunctiousness, Atagi could be bashful when in very close proximity with her. She couldn't tell whether it was specific to herself, or it was a general response to women. But it had happened more than once in the present interaction, so it was less a one-time thing and probably more repeatable. She just needed to ascertain the pattern. In any case, it was something to be filed for possible future utilization.

It was her turn to experience the flush of her cheeks, although to her relief, it wasn't as full-blown as Atagi's and thus hopefully more hidden, when he stated that he was fond of her. She was still working out a proper response to hide her mild embarrassment, when he made it worse by stating he would lick her if she was flagging on her improvements. An expression of shock crossed her face, and the mild blush intensified. "Stop being indecent, you cad!" she chided, trying to maintain her dignity. "And here I was, trying to feel sorry for you. You can't be reformed. So incorrigible."

As Atagi spoke about his own path being one of perseverance, Uriko smiled softly. "So incorrigible," she repeated, but this time there was a hint of admiration in her voice. "Never change, Uzumaki Atagi." His question regarding whether they would see each other again was met with a nod, as Uriko scooped the last helping of oden and offered it to him. "Hopefully yes," she replied. "Kusagakure is a Konohagakure ally, so if I'm in the area, I'll most definitely look for you. And I'm certain you'll figure out how to push forward."

To Encourage Nature [Urikohime]Sept 5, 2023 17:51:54 GMT -5
Uzumaki Atagi
Keep on keeping on.
Uzumaki Atagi Avatar
groupGrass Shinobi

There’s a scant bit of cogitation paid towards what, indeed, their next meeting might look like, or where it might be– but only for as long as it takes him to finish chewing at the last fishcake and to swallow that last helping of soup. Imagination was a useful tool, and an asset in the world of shinobi; but there were too many variables to picture it in any level of detail, striking or otherwise. They might be entirely different people, come the next engagement. For Atagi Uzumaki’s part? He planned to be stronger and wiser, without losing any of his trademarked panache. Part of him wonders what her aspirations are, what it was that Urikohime saw as the idealized version of herself.

”Mn, of course. And the same in the inverse, yeah? If I’m ever ‘round Konoha, I’ll be sure to scale your proverbial castle walls.” All smiles. One almost wondered if he’d forgotten about the whole maiming business. ”And I’d haveta remember to say hi to the little lightning, as well.” Just hi? And a ‘thank you for worrying about me’, you mean. And for the pinecones.” With that, though, soup mostly devoured and their declarations made, it seemed a natural stopping point for their meeting. Saying farewell, however long or short, was always a tiny bit sad, but his day had been brightened rough that it was hardly noticeable. Eyes flit to the spoon, and the soup, then up to her face. ”Thanks a million, yeah? For the catering and companionship both. I’m not the sort who’d ever claim to ‘need’ much of anything, but it certainly made me happy. I’m a bit drained, so I ought to return to my rest, but you have gotta get out there, making moves, collecting experiences and allies alike.” Despite saying so, Atagi doesn’t scoot to lay down again, not yet, anyway. ” ‘Till next time, Kohime-chan. I wish you long days, pleasant nights, and safe travels.”

=End Thread=
()
aeron at thq

last edit by Uzumaki Atagi on Sept 9, 2023 0:33:15 GMT -5

quick reply

compose a reply