compose a reply
The Return [Open]Nov 23, 2023 5:35:35 GMT -5
Honō Yoshitaka
Nindo Goes Here: Edit Profile > Personal > Most Recent Status
Honō Yoshitaka Avatar
groupGrass Shinobi
age 30 years old birthday 10 December rank Elite Jounin occupation Baishin

Honō Yoshitaka

It had been some time since he had come to Kusagakure, near on three years and it seemed that much had changed. Not necessarily with the buildings or the layout or even the skills of its people, but the leaders and the way in which the Hidden Village was to be run. And so the Daimyo had sent him, representative of the lord of all Nohara no Kuni, to assist in the running of Kusa, a returning son meant to take one of the highest roles available amongst the village.

There should have been pomp and ceremony, probably, some sort of announcement maybe, or at least he should have strolled back into his home to the cheers of his brothers' children. But there were none of these things, because Honō Yoshitaka wasn't home yet. Instead, dressed in the threadbare robes of a travelling monk, Osamu of Kaminari no Kuni had stepped through Kusa's gates, features shaded by the broad straw hat upon his head, and looking like any other unimportant and unremarkable traveller that might find their way to the village.

Wandering down familiar streets, the man paid far more attention than might be expected, settling down at the corner of a crossroad and setting up his begging bowl, seemingly meditating or praying as he waited for the kindness of strangers to provide him with his next meal.

Before he met with his family, or the Lord of the village, Yoshitaka was determined to get a feel for it from the very lowest perspective.

Word Count: 254
Tags:

Eleri has written 34 posts
The Return [Open]Nov 25, 2023 6:11:14 GMT -5
Honō Kojirou
I have an entire world filled with reasons to become stronger!
Honō Kojirou Avatar
groupGrass Shinobi
age 18 years old birthday March 17th rank Chūnin occupation Academy Instructor
Kojirou was extra jolly today. Returning from Chieko’s workshop, he’d finally re-obtained his precious… well, his previous sword’s name was Tsunagu, but now that he had a new one, a new name was in demand. Question was – what was that name going to be? Kojirou wasn’t the greatest linguistic genius out there, and names…

Hmh, he brainstormed a bit upon his strolling across Kusagakure’s streets, seemingly on his way back to the clan’s grounds – easy to spot if you were sensitive to heat. In his hands was the sheathed, diamond blade kept tugged in a metallic tsuba by Chieko’s genius design, while he rocked his head from side to side in a little dance.

He still had leftover coins from his purchase, and that was when he saw a begging bowl in the company of a mysterious… very mysterious individual, hiding most of their face behind a straw hat and black robes. They must’ve been… not from Kusagakure, since Kojirou didn’t recognize them. And he made sure to recognize everyone around here! He totally remembered every resident of Kusagakure… definitely.

Still, the man looked tired – not that Kojirou could see his facial expressions, but it was a strong hunch due to the scenery – so he waddled over to the lad, picked up his purse from his holster and just spilled the remaining coins into the dude’s bowl. "Here you go, sir. You look like you’re new here, but I like your hat. I got one of my own, but… it broke,” Kojirou leaked into casual conversation out of nowhere, "But nothing will break anymore – not after getting this cool, new sword! You should buy one of your own, too – Chieko’s an amazing blacksmith-"

*Cough*

"-B-But don’t tell people that I said that… otherwise, my clansmen might get jealous. Hihi…”
Koji has written 363 posts
The Return [Open]Nov 25, 2023 17:17:15 GMT -5
Honō Yoshitaka
Honō Yoshitaka Avatar
groupGrass Shinobi
Honō Yoshitaka

Despite the internal turmoil it seemed that the village hadn't changed too much yet, in a good way. Life continued as it had, in both good and bad, but he could be glad at least that things had not yet taken a turn for the worse, because it would be much harder to bring things back in line if it had. So, as he sat and observed some passers by would drop coin into his bowl, others might cross over to the other side of the street to avoid him, and still others would walk past him while talking about some thing or another. It was a good way for him to pick up on the undercurrents of the village, and he noted it all for later review.

And then came along a familiar figure..dancing... along the street, and he felt a small smile quirk his lips as he watched the boy wander on over and tip a bunch of coins into the bowl. It seems his dear young nephew was still oblivous as always, considering Yoshitaka hadn't bothered to do more than dress differently for this little excursion. No makeup, no wig, no henge of any kind, and yet a hat and some tattered robes were enough to fool Kojirou. It would almost be sad if it weren't somehow endearing.

The elder Honō wondered how long he could keep up the ruse.

"I thank you for your kindness young man," he said, rasping his voice more than usual and tilting the accent to more accurately reflect someone from Kaminari no Kuni, "and for the advice, though swords are more my nephew's preference, and he recently obtained a new one himself, so no need for me to purchase one for him." Too easy, and Kojirou probably wouldn't make the connection straight away.

"As for your secret, it is safe with me"

Word Count: 311
Tags:

The Return [Open]Dec 3, 2023 10:23:11 GMT -5
Honō Kojirou
Honō Kojirou Avatar
groupGrass Shinobi
”You got a nephew too? I hope it’s a good sword he got!” Kojirou spoke with a smile, oblivious to the connection that was being attempted here. He wasn’t one to think that every encounter had something to do with him, for Koji-boy wasn’t self-centered… and it often came as a detriment. Sure, it was good to keep his mind open and acceptive of new things like this, but if he just grew a slightly bigger inquiry…

"You wanna see mine? Maybe you could tell your nephew about the awesome blacksmith who made it for me…” Kojirou invited the strange, straw-hatted man to take a closer look upon unsheathing his sword- surprisingly, the sheath looked metallic, almost with a sharp edge on its lower half akin to a blade itself. The sword within… wasn’t metallic, or at least the blade itself wasn’t. What met the eye was a reflective, bluish shine, as if the blade was formed from an ingot of glass.

"Whatcha think? I was really scared at first, I thought it looked very brittle unlike metallic swords, but it’s really tough and doesn’t even chip when hitting walls or other blades! I’m telling you, it’s a masterpiece! Chieko should really get much more customers if I make a name for myself with this sword…” He saw it as a sort of duty at this point, a required act of gratitude towards the blacksmith.

"B-But, sorry, I got carried away… you looking for someone? Perhaps a place to stay in? It gets much colder at night in this season, and we got pretty cozy taverns.”
The Return [Open]Dec 6, 2023 6:38:25 GMT -5
Honō Yoshitaka
Honō Yoshitaka Avatar
groupGrass Shinobi
Honō Yoshitaka

Yoshitaka couldn't help but chuckle slightly, "well, he seems happy with it," he replied with a wry grin. Staring up from underneath the brim of his hat as he drew the sword, golden gaze examining the blade rather critically as he considered the weapon. It was an unusual looking sword all things considered. "I think you probably shouldn't be hitting walls with a sword, that's what I think young man," he gently chided, wondering just what on earth his nephew had been up to that he had been testing his brand new sword out on walls of all things.

"You don't want to upset your clan, but you are planning on diverting potential customers away from them?" he asked the boy curiously as he got to his feet and dusted himself off, the rather short man looking a bit portly in his current disguise. It was usually a nice way of throwing people off after all. Honestly he didn't much care about that, if his clan couldn't keep up with an outsider then they would get what they deserved. Nothing like competition to spurr people on to greater heights.

"As for what I am doing here, well, I'm mostly just trying to get a good idea of what is going on with the village. As I understand it things have been a bit of a revolving door in the Lord's seat, and I was curious as to how Kusa was going," he commented with a shrug, as if that wasn't a weird thing to be doing.

Word Count: 256
Tags:

The Return [Open]Jan 1, 2024 15:54:34 GMT -5
Honō Kojirou
Honō Kojirou Avatar
groupGrass Shinobi
”… U-Uhhhhhhh…”

Sweating a little, Kojirou turned his face the other way when the elder man warned him about hitting walls with his new sword. "Y-Yeah… you’re right. I, uh, I’ll refrain from… that.” It wasn’t like he’d been doing it for… days or anything.

"OH NO! I DIDN’T MEAN TO DO THAT!” he panicked as if his life was about to end needlessly, running from side to side as he didn’t know what to tell his clansmen if customers actually left them for Chieko due to his own advertisement. "Am I a clan traitor? No, no, that can’t be – I’d never betray my clan! It was just an accident, b-but Chieko’s really, really good, and I just really wanted to help her business out- b-but my clan’s also really good at smithing, s-so… b-but, and… nhhhhhhnngggg…”

Yeah, out of panic fuel, his head was now steaming in embarrassment, wobbling about in an attempt to recollect itself. Ain’t nobody better at distracting Kojirou than himself…

"Mhm… our current lord’s smart, though. I’m sure he’ll help Kusa out just as well as the previous one did,” Kojirou nodded with crossed arms, knowing Ichī personally. That was when Hanatarō walked under Kojirou’s legs and faced the stranger – this small lion cub, typically known as a baby-steps summoning animal in the clan’s walls, glared at the straw-hat wanderer with blinking eyes and moved his gaze towards Kojirou next.

"… *chuckle* At least we can tell you’re not a Sensory-type, Kojirou.”

"H-Huh? Wait, why’d you say that? What do you mean?”

"Nothiiiiiiiiiiiiiing!”

"Wha- c’mon, Hanatarō! Don’t be like that, is there anything I should know?!”

"There sure is, dummy! This proud genius mind of mine could tell from a single sniff – even the likes of you can’t fool me, old man!”

Kojirou was no Sensory-type nor any sharp tool. Also, his uncle was… iconic to him. Perhaps that was why he had so much trouble recognizing him.
The Return [Open]Jan 2, 2024 2:13:25 GMT -5
Honō Yoshitaka
Honō Yoshitaka Avatar
groupGrass Shinobi
Honō Yoshitaka

A single raised eyebrow was all that Koji's antics received, it was good to see that the boy was still full of energy, though it seemed he hadn't gotten any more calm or collected since the last time they had met. "I'm sure that you didn't mean to do something that could hurt your clan, you seem like you have the best of intentions," he reassured, nodding slightly to emphasise his point, "though perhaps you could tell me more about what you know of this new lord? I would be interested in your- well, hello there little one" the man trailed off with the appearance of a lion cub, golden eyes narrowing slightly.

With a slow, almost casual move, he bent down and.... swiped the lion cub by his scruff, lifting Hanatarō up to his eye level to stare at the feline from beneath his hat, "I didn't expect I needed to cover up scent for this little cub, but you're still a decade too young at least to be talking to me like that," he remarked calmly, though the voice that came out of his mouth was no longer that of the travelling monk, but his own normal voice.

"You might be one of Sōsuke-dono's cubs, but I am the strongest of the Honō and I expect at least a measure of respect for it," he rumbled these words, trying to communicate with the cub in a way he would understand. Yoshitaka might not have signed the Lion contract, too much of a wanderer as he was, but he had grown up around them. He also sent a silent apology to Chisai, because while he might have been the strongest last time he was in Kusa, he wasn't sure if that was the case anymore. Still, he had a point to make to a little smart aleck.

"You should probably try and be a bit more attentive to the people you are talking to Koji-kun," he stated, turning his attention to his nephew as he tilted his hat out of his face, showing the boy just who he had been talking to the whole time.

Word Count: 356
Tags:

The Return [Open]Jan 3, 2024 14:34:57 GMT -5
Honō Kojirou
Honō Kojirou Avatar
groupGrass Shinobi
Phew… the elder man forgave him… wait, why? Wait, he didn’t even desire his forgiveness to begin with?! But something made Kojirou feel like his shoulders were carrying a lot of weight for a moment, just revealing that slip-up to who should’ve been a complete stranger to him… odd.

Hanatarō rarely appreciated having his surface-level grandeur swooped away as he was picked up like his mother and aunts tended to. Flapping his paws and groaning like the kid he was, the elder stranger spoke of him as if… he knew him?! Wait a second! Something wasn’t right- that voice! "Nyah! Nnnngghhh! I wasn’t disrespecting yoooooooou, please don’t tell Father…!” Hanatarō protested with his short paws never hitting anything like that, being lectured about not underestimating an older Honō patron like the man in front of h-

"U-Uncle…?”

Kojirou was sort of flabbergasted that he’d been talking to his father’s shorter, craftier brother all this time. He barely waited for the straw hat to come off before he latched his arms around the old man’s chest. "UNCLEEEEEEEEEEE! Uncle, Uncle, Uncle, Uncle, Uncle, Uncle, Uncle, Uncle, Uncle, Uncle-" Spinning around the old man in his wild but heartfelt embrace, Kojirou felt like he was a wee little toddler again - rushing to his uncle's side after displays of Lava Release Jutsus that he would soon master himself.

"Uncle! You're back! I gotta tell Saya, a-and Mako-nii, and Chisai-neechan too!” he gasped in joy, since it’d been like… years? Had it been that long? Damn…

"A-Also, wait, what do you mean you were the strongest?! You are the strongest, definitely…” he protested, crossing his arms with a pout afterwards, "… and maybe Chisai-neechan’s next. But I’m catching up, too! I’m not as small as I used to be, Uncle – I’ve even been to the Chūnin Exams and all!”
last edit by Honō Kojirou on Jan 3, 2024 14:35:19 GMT -5
The Return [Open]Jan 5, 2024 7:57:54 GMT -5
Honō Yoshitaka
Honō Yoshitaka Avatar
groupGrass Shinobi
Honō Yoshitaka

Tucking the lion cub under one armpit just in time to get him out of the way of one excitable nephew, Yoshitaka began to laugh as he ruffled the younger male's hair, seemingly unconcerned and even unruffled by the boy's assault. "You've gotten big since I last saw you, you're almost as tall as me now," he remarked pushing Koji away a moment to look him up and down, "getting burly too, I can tell" he clapped the boy on the shoulder before looking back down at Hanatarō, putting the lion cub back on the ground with a silent finger against his nose as one last reminder to behave.

"Well, I haven't seen Chisai in a couple of years, maybe she caught up. She probably has had more time to train than I have these last couple of years after all," he remarked as he began to walk towards their clan compound, settling the hat back into place so as to not draw too much attention to himself.

"You'll have to tell me about your time in the exams, though I am curious as to why you aren't going to be participating in the ones in Kaminari no Kuni coming up," Yoshitaka mused, glancing at Koji sidelong in curiousity. Others might have judged the boy for not being promoted, or for not joining the next exams, but Yoshitaka was simply curious as to what had happened and why the boy had declined to attempt this time. There was bound to be a reason.

Word Count: 253
Tags:
The Return [Open]Jan 16, 2024 9:02:38 GMT -5
Honō Kojirou
Honō Kojirou Avatar
groupGrass Shinobi
Kojirou felt all warm and fuzzy inside now, quickly brought back to innocent times as a toddler looking up to his powerful uncle with sparkling eyes. He didn’t want this moment to end, having missed the dragon pops a bit too much for his own good – hell, his ponytail was a failed attempt at mimicking Uncle’s hairbun, but Kojirou had very bristle, wild hair. Rebellious, spiky mane.

Hanatarō was grumpy, still flailing under Uncle’s arm, but ultimately poked into submission and ended up just huffing at the nose boop. Little lion was too proud for his own good, and his father likely agreed back at home.

"Wait, you have been gone for so long… secret stuff? Definitely secret stuff- oh, b-but I won’t tell anybody, pinky promise…” Kojirou promised quietly, pointing his pinky up in the air, "Oh, this year’s… a-actually, I…”

He didn’t do amazingly at the previous Exams. He lost against Goro in less than 5 seconds – still trying to figure out what this power boost technique of his was – and when he got a second chance at life, he managed to entertain a lot of people… and then end up with half of his body coated in senbon. The fact that he made a full recovery from both those battles was nothing short of a miracle.

He was… fuck, he was actually a little uneased. He definitely wanted to become stronger, faster, smarter and better with his Bukijutsu, so that he wouldn’t have to be worried all the time, but… he felt a bit ashamed of himself, so he didn’t say any of that to Uncle. "A-Actually, I thought I could take a couple years to… y’know… t-t-t-train some more???”

Stop sweating, Kojirou. You weren’t exactly lying, were you?

"… A-And get better with Yōton… s-so I could impress m-my clan more, n-n-next time…”

Funny thing was, his parents and the rest of the clan held no ill towards him. They were proud of their little, red lion for actually going through with it all to such an extent – Kojirou, himself, however, felt that he could’ve been more prepared. And a lot of Genin stumbled upon this issue here and there… but wise people like Uncle had his back.

"… H-How’d you do back when you took the Exams yourself? I don’t think I ever asked this before…”
The Return [Open]Feb 2, 2024 5:21:19 GMT -5
Honō Yoshitaka
Honō Yoshitaka Avatar
groupGrass Shinobi
Honō Yoshitaka

Yoshitaka didn't seem to express any disapproval or other negative emotions, though internally he was worried with how meek his nephew was acting at the mention of the exams. He'd have to look into what had actually happened, because it wasn't like Koji to get quite so timid at something like this.

"Koji..." he said seriously, resting his hand on the boy's shoulder, "the moment you spat your first glob of lava you made the clan proud. It's easy to forget, but there is only a couple of us every generation who can even do that. I'm sure that whatever happened last time wasn't so bad as to lose that pride in you..." he squinted slightly and peeked down at the boy's face, "I don't have to beat up aniki do I? If he's been stupid I can put him back in his place. He might be taller and older but I'm stronger you know" he added in a faux whisper, conspiratorally in hopes of cheering Koji up. "More handsome too, he's lucky your mother felt pity for him."

He leaned back at the question, sucking at his teeth in thought. It had been quite a time since his own Chuunin exams, and he stroked at his beard as he considered his answer. "Tough, they were tough. Wouldn't have made it to the one on one fights without my teammates that's for sure, and when I got there my opponents were luckily not ready to deal with lava. Sometimes you just get a bad draw, and I was the bad draw for my opponents there," he said with a shrug, not really wanting to talk about the Genin he had basically incinerated in front of a crowd with careless enthusiasm.

Koji didn't need to know about that, about the way it had thrown off his next opponents having seen the charred corpse he had left behind. 

"Sometimes it's about playing smart, and sometimes all you can do is survive. Seems you have survived and that's all anyone can ask."

Word Count: 339
Tags:

The Return [Open]Feb 11, 2024 5:19:56 GMT -5
Honō Kojirou
Honō Kojirou Avatar
groupGrass Shinobi
An open book. His Uncle immediately saw that Kojirou didn’t exactly feel the most confident about his performance at the previous Chūnin Exams, but Uncle quickly reminded Kojirou that one’s first-time achievements at an exam that wild wasn’t exactly the end-all-be-all of his career, talent, and future. It wasn’t the end of the world, and Kojirou felt reassured just with a hand on his shoulder. He didn’t mean to worry Uncle, but at the same time, Kojirou’s terrible at keeping personal things secret.

He… faintly remembered. He thought he had the Fire Release nature back at the Academy, but when globs of clearly thicker substances melted the grass below him, the elders were all joyous to see that another Honō clan member had awakened Lava Release. Even today, out of everyone in the clan – from the active shinobi to the homestead supporters, the smiths and merchants and everyone in between – he, Uncle, Chisai-neechan and Mako-nii were the only ones currently confirmed to possess Lava Release – 4 out of the entire clan, and that was considered a high amount.

"N-No, no, Dad hasn’t said anything bad!” Kojirou laughed at Uncle’s sudden promises to lowkey big brother Tenrō, despite being his dad’s younger brother – some would think that the slimmer guy was younger, but Kojirou would say that Uncle was stronger too. Don’t tell Dad. "Hahaha! Mum didn’t feel pity, c’mooooooon! That's ruuuuuuude!” Kojirou’s spirits were raised by the comedy brought by his Uncle, feeling much more at ease now that things were back to normal. He just wanted to make his clan proud, but he was naïve – the clan was already proud of him. And he’d overlooked that.

"Not many things I know that can deal with lava…” he inquired, cupping his chin as he thought back to the other Genin that were participating. He’d fought Goro in Round 2, and Goro was vastly physically superior to him – he blitzed him, outpaced him, and overpowered him. To kick Kojirou so many meters up in the air like he was a football was no joke, and he did so before Kojirou could weave a single handseal. Goro outmaneuvered Lava Release by simply not letting it be employed, and that was a smart move from him.

Come to think of it… the only other Genin at the time who moved at a similar speed to Goro – from what Kojirou could remember – was the redhead friend of Azarea, Miroru. She used Lightning Release, too, so there was something there as well – she could probably blitz him as well. Okay, sure, Kojirou wasn’t the fastest guy around, but if he was slower than his opponent… then he’d have to bet on durability instead. And he wasn’t durable, not the way he was now.

But his Uncle was durable. His armor said enough, but there was inspiration to draw.

"… I-I made new friends there!” he decided to reveal to his precious Uncle, fist clenched excitingly and raised up in the air to announce his achievements, "There were so many cool Genin from Konoha and Kumo, like Azarea, Katsuo, Miroru, Itsuki, Tokaku, and Goro too – he’s the one I fought in Round 2… he was too fast for me to track. But maybe I can fight him again, someday!”

In a way, Kojirou had gotten a sort of rival.

"But… hmmmmmmmh… I felt like I missed something defensive. Something to tank hits, should I get bested in speed… like some sort of Lava Armor…”

Since it was an S-Rank technique, Kojirou didn’t yet catch up on the teachings of Lava Release Armor. He still had one of the scrolls that the elders used to document Lava Release techniques, should he ever feel inspired to train and master some new Jutsu, but the one he was thinking about was one of the clan’s crown jewels. The very zenith of lava manipulation.
The Return [Open]Mar 2, 2024 5:48:33 GMT -5
Honō Yoshitaka
Honō Yoshitaka Avatar
groupGrass Shinobi
Honō Yoshitaka

"It's a younger brother's job to be rude and a pain in the butt to their Onii-san," Yoshitaka said with a laugh as he ruffled Koji's thick hair. The texture reminded him greatly of his brother, even if the colour was all his sister-in-law as Koji definitely taking after his maternal side. It was a little nostalgic truth be told, a sudden yearning to return to his home properly after all this time, how odd.

Drawn out of his reverie as Koji continued to speak, the elder blinked in shock at the list of names, "...and these are not Kusa-nin? You made friends with the person that defeated you?" he asked, somewhat non-plussed. He supposed his nephew was a very different person than him, but had times changed so much that people were that ready to form inter-village friendships? Surely not, they were likely taking advantage of Koji's trusting nature, which wouldn't do.

"An armour huh? Perhaps we should work to develop one," Yoshitaka mused as he started to guide Koji towards the clan compound, "or you could get some armour made, like I have, I can tell you it is quite a useful thing to have. Plus you could get the clan to make it, to make up for you going somewhere else for a sword," he teased. He might not be wearing his armour right now, but it had saved his life more times than he could track.

Word Count: 240
Tags:

The Return [Open]Apr 3, 2024 8:56:16 GMT -5
Honō Kojirou
Honō Kojirou Avatar
groupGrass Shinobi
”I’m not rude to my big bro, though! Mum says he doesn’t like playing around,” Kojirou further commented as his bangs were swept over by the ravine that was Uncle Yoshi’s hand. Truth be told, Sekirou was… quiet. Reserved. Rarely smiled, rarely laughed, and rarely had fun – even though the rest of his family was sunshine and rainbows in comparison, and tried their best to include him in their jolliness at every opportunity, Sekirou often felt socially… skewered? Perhaps, he was a bit awkward in reality, but it didn’t prevent him from being a wonderful big brother to both Kojirou, Kusarou and even Saya.

He just liked to be by himself, is all.

"Yup! He was really young though, but we ate apples together,” Kojirou shared with a smile, proud of his new established friendships beyond the borders of Nohara no Kuni. Why apples was an important detail… weird.

It was no secret that Kojirou admired Uncle’s armor, but he also wanted something special and light. Something he could still move swiftly in without having to rely too much on physical or technique-enhanced durability like with Uncle’s lava armor. Wait, he wasn’t going anywhere with his sword, no way! What was Uncle on about?!

"I-I’m not leaving my sword!” Kojirou protested, clinging to his sheathed weapon like it was his significant other, "I-I was just thinking… I heard that old man Washu had found some old blueprints and was experimenting on something, so I got curious. Your armor can turn into lava, too – that’s so useful! So nobody can touch you without turning into chicken strips…”

He wondered if he should go check up on old man Washu again, working at the forge and busy retro-forging old equipment from the clan’s previous ‘glory days’ as wandering mercs of Tsuchi no Kuni.